Newest Member
    joxey
PHL 6 inch storms

famartin

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i wonder what kind of setup is needed to get 40-50" range, that is just insane

...especially when you consider that it was likely a fairly wet snow even out in Morgantown. 

It was before my time, but I used to work with a guy who remembered that storm clearly.  He said that he was in the northern Philly burbs (I can't remember where but I don't think it was too far out) and he was not allowed to leave the house for days during and after the storm.  Apparently, there were so many live power lines down (many of which were buried in snow and not readily visible) that it was too dangerous to even walk around outside.  Can you imagine the frustration of being a kid and seeing that much snow out there (according to him, it was multiple feet deep in his backyard) and not being able to leave the house.  It hurts just thinking about it. 

i wonder what kind of setup is needed to get 40-50" range, that is just insane

It does seem technically possible but it's got to be a pretty unique set of circumstances. I experienced it sort of, but I was too young to remember anything but sunny and warm, deep snow (around 3 feet where we were, I was told later), and a generator running in the days afterwards.

For me Feb. 5th-10th was the modern day version of that, to have 48" of snow fall in 5 days, while it's technically possible, I had never seen anything like it. The afternoon of Feb. 10th was surreal. I wonder what the next mega event will look like and how long we'll have to wait? Meanwhile I could easily enjoy a few nice windblown nor'easters with 12" or more of snow.

Maybe a Miller B would stall, and then being stuck under a Mega band. Or an over running type of event maybe, I remember back in the summer of '96 June 12 I thing Lower Bucks had a "train" event... it was unbelievable the amount of water Highland Park section of levittown had, it was flooded. We can always hope..call me a weenie, but I do feel we will get our massive record breaking snow storm.

I really don't know what storm you could be thinking of. Unless it was one where there was a brief interlude of rain, which would mean either 2/10/2010, 2/25/2010, or 1/26/2011. Either that or it wasn't a really big storm.

After going through video, the day I had some light rain and periods of no snow while others were getting hammered was 2/10/2010.

• 3 months later...

Archived