• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
06z Model Discussion | January 2-3 Winter storm

user13

Now that the 0z Euro has backed off on the intensity of the storm, we are moving towards a 3-6" consensus with very cold temps. However with all the energy yet to be sampled we still have some time for things to change.

Lets see what the 06z runs have to say for themselves...

Summary of tonight's 00z suite

NYC QPF wed 12z - sat 00z

NAM:  0.40 - 0.60 http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/nam/00/nam_namer_084_precip_ptot.gif

GFS:  0.25 - 0.40 http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/gfs/00/gfs_namer_096_precip_ptot.gif

GGEM:  0.10 - 0.25 http://meteocentre.com/models/gemglb_amer_00/accum/PR_024-096_0000.gif

UKMET:  looks similar to the ggem thru 72 hrs

ECM:  0.50 I don't have the ecm yet but judging by others comments 0.50

0z GFS QPF:

BOS: 0.81"

EWR: 0.34"

HPN: 0.40"

ISP: 0.51"

NYC: 0.36"

PHL: 0.20"

0z ECWMF QPF:

BOS: 0.59"

EWR: 0.41"

HPN: 0.45"

ISP: 0.69"

NYC: 0.45"

PHL: 0.34"

0z nam was much better at h5. Thankfully, it's the nam not gfs. Not many good trends tonight to say the least. However, we have three model suites basically left before real now casting. Three suites ago (12z Sunday) the storm was much different. I know we are closer, but a lot can change in a few model suites. The most likely outcome ATM is a 4-8 event with more n and e. However, I really believe this can get bigger, all we need is the trough to dig a bit more and tilt negatively, and we are in business. It's unlikely at this point, but not out of the possibility. I have heard that the 12z suite today will be the first with real onshore data from the players in this scenario. Hopefully good trends starting with the 6z gfs.

It was better at h5 but still not good. Lol

With that said we should have a really good idea of expectations after the 0z suite later tonight

The overrunning is centered right on I-90 still, and the dryslot from hell is just south of that. That has to change if we really want a chance without a powerful coastal low. Inverted troughs are too unpredictable.

Wow....bad feeling our hopes are falling apart. NAM pretty much falls through with the idea for us. Bad trends on all models unfortunately

This event has just sh*t the bed.  Plain and simple for the NYC area.  4-6 inch event it looks like, not 10-15 inches.  Looks like a high end WWA event, not even a WSW for area. Forget about the Blizz warning.  I think the overrunning zone will shift south, with cold air in place and better 700 mb UVV

This event has just sh*t the bed.  Plain and simple for the NYC area.  4-6 inch event it looks like, not 10-15 inches.  Looks like a high end WWA event, not even a WSW for area. Forget about the Blizz warning.

Ur kidding right. Still 2 days out plenty can change. Even if we get .5 of precip, ratios are real good so you could get 6-8. I think this will turn out a 6-10 ish storm area wide, which is a secs.

The NAM  is a whiff , im not ignoring it , but the SREF mean is  5 inches in  NYC

@ HR 72 850 `s -5 and the surface is   20  .1 falls .......

As for the 0z Euro in NYC @ HR 78 850`s - 8  and the  surface is 15  .3 falls  at 12 to 1 thats  3.6

@ HR 84 850`s - 13 and the surface is  8   .2 falls  at 12 to 1 thats  2.4 ( if it went 15 to 1 here ) I wouldnt be shocked  , this is not a 10 to 1 storm with the profiles .

So the Euro  is still in line with a Warning type event ,( EVEN AT 12 TO 1 ) as long as  this doesnt come any further S .

Yes QPF in NYC went from .8 at 12z to .5 at 0z  and thats not good , but it happens so  we gotta deal with it .

This gets saved by it being  a cold storm ,  so if Sat AM  is 10 above , not 10 below its still make you think your in Alaska .

The NAM  is a whiff , im not ignoring it , but the SREF mean is  5 inches in  NYC

@ HR 72 850 `s -5 and the surface is   20  .1 falls .......

As for the 0z Euro in NYC @ HR 78 850`s - 8  and the  surface is 15  .3 falls  at 12 to 1 thats  3.6

@ HR 84 850`s - 13 and the surface is  8   .2 falls  at 12 to 1 thats  2.4 ( if it went 15 to 1 here ) I wouldnt be shocked  , this is not a 10 to 1 storm with the profiles .

So the Euro  is still in line with a Warning type event ,( EVEN AT 12 TO 1 ) as long as  this doesnt come any further S .

Yes QPF in NYC went from .8 at 12z to .5 at 0z  and thats not good , but it happens so  we gotta deal with it .

This gets saved by it being  a cold storm ,  so if Sat AM  is 10 above , not 10 below its still make you think your in Alaska .

I want to see some polar bears to complete the look... Is that too much to ask for ?

Now I can enjoy my Cheerios this morning.  Earplugs, stabilizer, gas on standby, snowblower in standby mode.  Are we "Finding N*mo?"

ha, we absolutely are not finding that stupid fish.... pretty good consensus among the models (except NAM) of a 3-6 type event based on GFS/EURO/SREF Mean mixture..

ha, we absolutely are not finding that stupid fish.... pretty good consensus among the models (except NAM) of a 3-6 type event based on GFS/EURO/SREF Mean mixture..

Haven't seen snow maps for 6z gfs, but verbatim it is probAbaly double 3-6. .5-.75 with good ratios as depicted would probAbaly yield 7-12 inches of snow. Euro was about .4-.5 ish which is about 5-8 inches. Not using srefs just yet.

Haven't seen snow maps for 6z gfs, but verbatim it is probAbaly double 3-6. .5-.75 with good ratios as depicted would probAbaly yield 7-12 inches of snow. Euro was about .4-.5 ish which is about 5-8 inches. Not using srefs just yet.

for so many reasons, esp when dealing with NYC i use 10:1... it has served me very well even in situations where everyone is calling for great snow ratios (ala the 12/15 storm)... even if you get higher rates during the storm, I feel like all the mitigating factors (virga, time it takes to lay, compaction) etc, makes 10:1 usually pretty accurate..  banking on high ratio snow is a game I dont play, but thats just me..

Archived