• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
My Top 5 Tornado Outbreaks of 2010

tornadotony

Where are you at exactly? My parents just moved down to the St. Anne area. They had just left their new house (they live about 4000E and 7500S) so 3 miles SSW of the touchdown... ...

I took just those pictures at 7000S and 8500E, I was stationary at some sort or large farm/gravel lot just North of 7000S on 8500E

All three pictures looking to the Northwest. The sister tornadoes were on the ground about 3 miles due North of St. Anne.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took just those pictures at 7000S and 8500E, I was stationary at some sort or large farm/gravel lot just North of 7000S on 8500E

All three pictures looking to the Northwest. The sister tornadoes were on the ground about 3 miles due North of St. Anne.

Not all that far then.... I was on the Peoria area tornadoes and pulled into Dwight seconds after it was hit.... it was so eerie to hear the sirens still blaring and emergency crews scrambling around.... I am a firefighter/emt and offered assistance but it was in such a state of chaos they didn't know what to do and I didn't want to be in the way.

Not all that far then.... I was on the Peoria area tornadoes and pulled into Dwight seconds after it was hit.... it was so eerie to hear the sirens still blaring and emergency crews scrambling around.... I am a firefighter/emt and offered assistance but it was in such a state of chaos they didn't know what to do and I didn't want to be in the way.

Same here (as far as the firefighter/emt). I started out in North Central Indiana (parameters were just to good to pass up) and when initiation was delayed until the late evening hours across portions of Western Indiana, I decided the set-up was to amazing to pass up, so I traveled into Eastern Illinois and just waited. Every single storm seemed to be producing tornadoes.

Same here (as far as the firefighter/emt). I started out in North Central Indiana (parameters were just to good to pass up) and when initiation was delayed until the late evening hours across portions of Western Indiana, I decided the set-up was to amazing to pass up, so I traveled into Eastern Illinois and just waited. Every single storm seemed to be producing tornadoes.

Very good. I was in SE IA (Mt. Pleasant) and noticed the echoes popping up along the river and knew I had to get east FAST and luckily got to Farmington in time to see a few tornadoes.

Yeah definitely one of the more bizarre outbreaks I've ever tracked. Really, the synoptic-scale setup and the thermodynamic parameters were far more typical of an early-spring SE US outbreak, with high moisture, a very unstable atmosphere, and activity centered on the baroclinic zone, lending to a relatively narrow but very long axis of tornadic activity that lasted for several hours. The extremely "wet" atmosphere, if you will, also led to the sustenance of surface-based supercells well into the night...a rare feat for this far north...these cells went longer than those in the Barneveld outbreak...

The extremely "wet" atmosphere, if you will, also led to the sustenance of surface-based supercells well into the night...a rare feat for this far north...these cells went longer than those in the Barneveld outbreak...

That was probably one of my bigger questions about that event. The atmosphere was easily supportive of supercells but was wondering how efficient they would be at tornado production as night set in. The number of nocturnal tornadoes for this region was pretty amazing.

It's only a matter of time until there's a big outbreak in the densely populated areas of northeast IL. History shows that and the relative proximity to tornado alley hasn't changed. There's been some close calls such as 6/7/08 but nothing really major there in the last 15+ years. Meanwhile, the urban sprawl continues. Actually, it doesn't even take a large outbreak to cause some problems...you put a few strong/violent tornadoes in the right places and it has the potential to cause a lot of property losses at minimum.

I'm actually working on something right now regarding population and tornado trends for the Chicago and Indy metro areas. Perhaps I'll share more at some point.

You may have already read it, but if not, I think this would be of interest to you:

http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/BAMS-88-1-31

I am going to upload 3 radar images from 10 minutes apart using our radar program.... this will illustrate our position along with a couple of the PIA area tornadoes. Beautiful BWER noted at about the time Elmwood was being hit....

7:51 P.M.

cap_0001677.png

7:56 P.M.

cap_0001746.png

8:01 P.M.

cap_0001815.png

View of the tornadoes from our position 8 miles to the SW near Farmington, IL.

tornado%2321.JPG

Would have LOVED to be closer to this, but after almost blowing this day I will take a 7 mile away EF-1 tornado....

tornado%2322.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Here are my five.

1. June 17, 2010.

2. December 31, 2010(which had some on New Years Day 2011).

3. November 29, 2010.

4. April 24, 2010.

5. May 22, 2010.

The first three are probably the most impressive because there was not a moderate or high risk for strong tornadoes(at least 15% hatched). The number of violent tornadoes on June 17th, the time of the year with multiple EF3 tornadoes on December 31st, and having a violent tornado so late in the year on November are all worthy of attention. The last two were impressive because of the longetivity of the violent EF4 tornado that went through Yazoo City tornado and the Bowdle tornado was an extremely violent looking couplet as well as looking at it. It will be a year to remember for tornadoes.

Here are my five.

1. June 17, 2010.

2. December 31, 2010(which had some on New Years Day 2011).

3. November 29, 2010.

4. April 24, 2010.

5. May 22, 2010.

The first three are probably the most impressive because there was not a moderate or high risk for strong tornadoes(at least 15% hatched). The number of violent tornadoes on June 17th, the time of the year with multiple EF3 tornadoes on December 31st, and having a violent tornado so late in the year on November are all worthy of attention. The last two were impressive because of the longetivity of the violent EF4 tornado that went through Yazoo City tornado and the Bowdle tornado was an extremely violent looking couplet as well as looking at it. It will be a year to remember for tornadoes.

Maybe a little backyard bias here :guitar: but I would've put 6/5 on there. That event did have a moderate risk but it was for wind.

I believe June 5th verified a high risk for tornadoes but Im not 100% sure on that.

Yeah you guys are right that was an impressive day and I forgot all about it. I thought it had a moderate/high risk for strong tornadoes but it didn't. It barely had a 10% hatched area for the final outlook.

1. June 17, 2010.

2. December 31, 2010.

3. June 5, 2010.

4. November 29, 2010.

5. April 24, 2010.

Some of the outbreaks were pretty impressive such as April 30, May 1, May 10, and October 26. The only thing is April and may are prime for storng/violent tornadoes on high risk days and the October tornado outbreak was impressive but felt that at least a couple of them tornadoes would have done at least EF3 damage. The Bowdle tornado although not associated with much of a tornado outbreak, was probably one of the most impressive looking tornadoes along with the one in Albert Lea and Wadena Minnesota on June 17, 2010. I think the first four tornado outbreaks met high risk criteria but I am not as certain as the one on November 29, 2010. It was just interesting to have an EF4 tornado so late in the season. There rare enough in the spring let alone fall/winter. Thank you for reminding of the June 5, 2010 outbreak for it was very impressive.

Is high risk criteria for tornadoes when there at least 20 tornadoes and 2 of them are rated at least EF3+. According to wiki there were 74 tornadoes on June 17th, 21 on December 31st, 18 on November 29th, and 34 on June 5th. Of course the day of the Yazoo City tornado was a high risk by SPC and it had 40 tornadoes. November 29th and December 31st are still preliminary and there may have been more EF0's than what wiki is listing. Of course every last one of these days had two or more tornadoes rated EF3+.

I took these with my phone the day of lol

looking at the newest SREF in Wendys at 3pm

first tornado roping out after going through Elmwood

I remember that day, i was doing flea markets and American picking, and i saw we had a local enhanced tornado threat here in western pa with supercells firing to the west, i was shocked because it was cloudy and barley any sun out, I had 3 tornado watches that that, here in Western PA we only get like 1 a year or so, but we had like 6 tornado watches

and 2011 season looks like a big one for the OV Valley because a pretty strong La Nina is in place

Archived