• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
October 10th Severe Weather Thread

andyhb

SPC has highlighted a risk area in the most recent D4 highlighting the High Plains with the upcoming passage of a strong negatively-tilted shortwave. As they mention, this system won't have nearly the moisture return to work with as with the one last Friday, but strong wind fields should promote rotation with any storms that do become more robust.

hlvt.gif

DAY 4-8 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK     NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   0357 AM CDT MON OCT 07 2013   VALID 101200Z - 151200Z   ...DISCUSSION...   MODELS ARE IN GOOD AGREEMENT IN DEPICTING A POTENT NEGATIVELY TILTED   SHORTWAVE TROUGH MOVING INTO THE CNTRL PLAINS LATE ON THU/D4...THEN   INTO THE NRN PLAINS ON FRI/D5. THE OVERWHELMING MITIGATING FACTOR TO   A MORE SIGNIFICANT EVENT WILL BE THE BOUNDARY LAYER MOISTURE   MAGNITUDE. WITH SUCH A DRY ANTECEDENT AIR MASS UPSTREAM...DEWPOINTS   ARE ONLY EXPECTED TO RISE INTO THE MID 50S BY THU EVENING AND IN A   RELATIVELY NARROW PLUME. CONDITIONALLY...WIND PROFILES WILL BE VERY   STRONG AND FAVORABLE FOR SUPERCELLS OR SEVERE LEWPS.   DUE TO THE NARROW ZONE OF INSTABILITY...AND CAPPING POTENTIAL   FARTHER E INTO THE LOWER ELEVATIONS AND WHERE COOLER AIR WILL   EXIST...THE THREAT AREA WILL BE LIMITED TO WRN PORTIONS OF NEB AND   KS...AND PERHAPS EXTREME ERN CO GIVEN THE MERIDIONAL NATURE OF THE   UPPER FLOW WHICH WILL KEEP LOW LEVEL WINDS BACKED.

The concern with this one will indeed be the moisture return, the wind fields and forcing are pretty good maybe even a bit better than last Friday. I just don't think we will be able to get the moisture to return in sufficient time, the Western Gulf of Mexico was scoured out pretty well with the last front that just came through.

The concern with this one will indeed be the moisture return, the wind fields and forcing are pretty good maybe even a bit better than last Friday. I just don't think we will be able to get the moisture to return in sufficient time, the Western Gulf of Mexico was scoured out pretty well with the last front that just came through.

My thoughts exactly. Dew points of 55 F can sometimes be sufficient for a significant supercell/tornado threat on the High Plains, but this time of year, it's not that likely.

For the region affected, just as a sanity check when discussing potential setups with meager moisture, the benchmark I like to use is 2007-04-21 (Tulia/Channing/Cactus). Dew points were 53-55 F that day along the I-27 corridor, which may be repeatable Thursday. H5 temperatures were -12 to -14 C; Thursday looks a touch warmer, but not much. The H5 pattern and kinematic profiles modeled for Thursday do have some interesting similarities.

If it were anywhere further east, I'd be completely ready to declare Thursday DOA. At 3000-4500 ft. elevation, I'd say the odds still strongly favor a benign frontal squall line evolution, but it does bear watching.

My thoughts exactly. Dew points of 55 F can sometimes be sufficient for a significant supercell/tornado threat on the High Plains, but this time of year, it's not that likely.

For the region affected, just as a sanity check when discussing potential setups with meager moisture, the benchmark I like to use is 2007-04-21 (Tulia/Channing/Cactus). Dew points were 53-55 F that day along the I-27 corridor, which may be repeatable Thursday. H5 temperatures were -12 to -14 C; Thursday looks a touch warmer, but not much. The H5 pattern and kinematic profiles modeled for Thursday do have some interesting similarities.

If it were anywhere further east, I'd be completely ready to declare Thursday DOA. At 3000-4500 ft. elevation, I'd say the odds still strongly favor a benign frontal squall line evolution, but it does bear watching.

I generally agree with this.  I just don't like the moisture return trajectories off the Gulf.  With the ridging position over the eastern US, I wouldn't be shocked at all if the moisture modeled is a little overbiased, as unspectacular as it already is.

New D3 maintains 30% area for NW KS and a most of west central NE.

hph.gif

DAY 3 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK     NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   0109 AM CDT TUE OCT 08 2013   VALID 101200Z - 111200Z   ...THERE IS A SLGT RISK OF SVR TSTMS FROM WRN KS INTO CNTRL SD...   ...SYNOPSIS...   A POTENT SHORTWAVE TROUGH WILL EJECT NEWD OUT OF THE FOUR CORNERS   INTO THE CNTRL HIGH PLAINS BY THU AFTERNOON...AND WILL CONTINUE INTO   THE NRN PLAINS OVERNIGHT. AT THE SURFACE...LOW PRESSURE WILL DEEPEN   ACROSS NERN CO/SWRN NEB DURING THE DAY...WITH STRONG CONVERGENCE   DEVELOPING WITHIN THE LOW PRESSURE TROUGH FROM WRN NEB INTO THE WRN   OK/TX PANHANDLES.   STRONG SELY SURFACE WINDS ACROSS THE WARM SECTOR WILL BRING LOWER TO   MID 50S DEWPOINTS NWWD AHEAD OF THE DEVELOPING COLD FRONT AND AS FAR   NW AS NERN CO...RESULTING IN A SUFFICIENTLY UNSTABLE AIR MASS FOR   SEVERE STORMS.   ...CNTRL PLAINS...   STRONG HEATING WILL OCCUR ACROSS THE CNTRL HIGH PLAINS...AND AS   TEMPERATURES COOL ALOFT...LOW TO MIDLEVEL LAPSE RATES WILL BE VERY   STEEP...NEARLY DRY ADIABATIC FROM THE SURFACE TO 500 MB ALONG THE   DRYLINE. DESPITE LOW DEWPOINTS...CONVECTION WILL RAPIDLY DEVELOP   AROUND 21Z AS FORCING ARRIVES. FORECAST HODOGRAPHS ARE IMPRESSIVE   ACROSS THE WARM SECTOR...WITH STRONG LOW LEVEL VEERING AND SPEED   SHEAR WITH HEIGHT. GIVEN THE MERIDIONAL NATURE OF THE FLOW   ALOFT...STORMS WILL MOVE NNEWD AT A FAST PACE.   AT THIS TIME...IT APPEARS THAT THE INITIAL STORMS WILL BE HIGH-BASED   SUPERCELLS CAPABLE OF LARGE HAIL AND LOCALLY DAMAGING WINDS. A FEW   TORNADOES CANNOT BE RULED OUT GIVEN THE DEGREE OF SHEAR AND STEEP   LAPSE RATES ACROSS THE HIGH PLAINS. HOWEVER...AS THE WIND SHIFT   ARRIVES...STORMS SHOULD QUICKLY FORM INTO A SQUALL LINE...WITH   LOCALLY SIGNIFICANT WIND DAMAGE POSSIBLE AS BOWS RACE NEWD IN EXCESS   OF 45 MPH.   ..JEWELL.. 10/08/2013

The models show less than 750 CAPE for most of this area. Is the SPC convinced that CAPE will be much higher? Or low-CAPE storms will take advantage of the shear?

My guess is that the threat is maximized more so because of the shear rather than the instability. There's more than enough forecast shear to make use of the limited instability.

With another 24 hours of model runs in the books, I'm now convinced the threat will be very marginal. Low-level moisture looks decidedly worse on today's 12z runs than yesterday's.

It's rarely great to have a low just sitting on the EC if you like moisture. 

With another 24 hours of model runs in the books, I'm now convinced the threat will be very marginal. Low-level moisture looks decidedly worse on today's 12z runs than yesterday's.

Agreed.  I barely see enough justification for a slight risk at this point, let alone a 30% area.  This isn't going to be a dry microburst environment, even with inverted-V soundings.  It certainly isn't going to be much of a tornado environment.

Andy - do you want to extend this thread out to cover 10/10, 10/11 and 10/14-10/15?

Current watch out today with 40/20 watch probs - worthy of discussion:

ww0546_radar.gif

outlines of the counties contained in it. Tornadoes
Probability of 2 or more tornadoes 

Mod (40%)

Probability of 1 or more strong (F2-F5) tornadoes

Low (20%)

Wind
Probability of 10 or more severe wind events

Mod (30%)

Probability of 1 or more wind events > 65 knots

Low (10%)

Hail
Probability of 10 or more severe hail events

Low (20%)

Probability of 1 or more hailstones > 2 inches

Low (<5%)

Combined Severe Hail/Wind
Probability of 6 or more combined severe hail/wind events

Mod (60%)

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
TORNADO WATCH NUMBER 546
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
1215 PM CDT FRI OCT 11 2013

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF
WESTERN MINNESOTA
SOUTH-CENTRAL AND SOUTHEAST NORTH DAKOTA
NORTH-CENTRAL AND NORTHEAST SOUTH DAKOTA

* EFFECTIVE THIS FRIDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING FROM 1215 PM UNTIL
800 PM CDT.

* PRIMARY THREATS INCLUDE...
SEVERAL TORNADOES POSSIBLE
SEVERAL DAMAGING WIND GUSTS TO 70 MPH POSSIBLE
A FEW LARGE HAIL EVENTS TO 1 INCH IN DIAMETER POSSIBLE

THE TORNADO WATCH AREA IS APPROXIMATELY ALONG AND 90 STATUTE
MILES NORTH AND SOUTH OF A LINE FROM 85 MILES WEST SOUTHWEST OF
JAMESTOWN NORTH DAKOTA TO 5 MILES EAST OF ALEXANDRIA MINNESOTA.
FOR A COMPLETE DEPICTION OF THE WATCH SEE THE ASSOCIATED WATCH
OUTLINE UPDATE (WOUS64 KWNS WOU6).

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

REMEMBER...A TORNADO WATCH MEANS CONDITIONS ARE FAVORABLE FOR
TORNADOES AND SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS IN AND CLOSE TO THE WATCH
AREA. PERSONS IN THESE AREAS SHOULD BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR
THREATENING WEATHER CONDITIONS AND LISTEN FOR LATER STATEMENTS
AND POSSIBLE WARNINGS.

&&

DISCUSSION...ONE OR MULTIPLE ARCING BANDS OF THUNDERSTORMS ARE
EXPECTED TO DEVELOP AND SPREAD NORTHEAST ACROSS THE WATCH AREA.
CONDITIONS WILL BE FAVORABLE FOR LOW-LEVEL UPDRAFT ROTATION AND
TORNADOES ARE POSSIBLE...AS IS SOME HAIL AND LOCALLY DAMAGING WIND
GUSTS.

AVIATION...TORNADOES AND A FEW SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WITH HAIL
SURFACE AND ALOFT TO 1 INCH. EXTREME TURBULENCE AND SURFACE WIND
GUSTS TO 60 KNOTS. A FEW CUMULONIMBI WITH MAXIMUM TOPS TO 350.
MEAN STORM MOTION VECTOR 14030.

...MEAD

Archived