Ginx snewx

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

aerial views from Ct historical society includes views of RI shore

http://cslib.cdmhost.com/cdm/search/searchterm/1938%20hurricane/order/nosort

This is the barrier beach in Misquamicut

Awesome Pictures!  Thanks for the link!

Did you happen to notice... it appears the worse of the damage in the photo above AND with Sandy was basically in the same area.  Judging by this photo, it appears the beach was nearly completely wiped clean from about 1/2 east of the present day Westerly Town Beach westward through the town and state beach area towards the Pleasant View Inn.

The same was true with Sandy... Damage was minimal a bit east of Town Beach eastward through the private home area, Seaside Beach Club and to the breachway.  While areas westward sustained the most damage.

Awesome Pictures!  Thanks for the link!

Did you happen to notice... it appears the worse of the damage in the photo above AND with Sandy was basically in the same area.  Judging by this photo, it appears the beach was nearly completely wiped clean from about 1/2 east of the present day Westerly Town Beach westward through the town and state beach area towards the Pleasant View Inn.

The same was true with Sandy... Damage was minimal a bit east of Town Beach eastward through the private home area, Seaside Beach Club and to the breachway.  While areas westward sustained the most damage.

yes and knowing what we know it all has to do with the shape of the coastline that bows from the Town Beach to Watch Hill, it is basically like a mini funnel bay. The long shore drift which deposits sands in the area east of the town beach also gives that area added protection, hence the dunes are higher there,any local knows the best surf is at Dickies (Windjammer) West

Wow, simply amazing... have you seen any photos from Watch Hill after the '38 hurricane?

Wow, simply amazing... have you seen any photos from Watch Hill after the '38 hurricane?

Dude I found a bunch on my work computer including one before and after of your girls house. 0c84739ebb9b32d5390264ee1820055b.jpg RI Coastal, another Winnapaug Pond pic further down by the Golf course a818cbb61da7d198672ac53599288fe1.jpg

Dude I found a bunch on my work computer including one before and after of your girls house. 0c84739ebb9b32d5390264ee1820055b.jpg RI Coastal, another Winnapaug Pond pic further down by the Golf course a818cbb61da7d198672ac53599288fe1.jpg

I've actually seen that picture once before... Is that the Winnapaug Golf Course or Weekapaug?  I figured it was along the Shore Road... but was thrown off by the caption calling it the Boston Post Road.  I wasn't aware that 1A (the Shore Road or at least a portion of 1A) was once the Boston Post Road... learn something new every day!! 

Thanks for posting the pics!

This image of the homes on Napatree point owe to the immense power, keep in mind Napatree point is not on the open ocean but rather just inside LI sound, look at the size of those houses and remember the survivors  stories of the waves crashing above them!

Also the picture of Tyler Swifts current house, (which is the highest point along the coast between southern Maine and Florida) the waves crashed into the first floor! that is roughly 75 feet above the sea level. Just incredible. during sandy the Watch Hill keep reported the spray going over the house, hard to imagine waves breaking up there.

Also the picture of Tyler Swifts current house, (which is the highest point along the coast between southern Maine and Florida) the waves crashed into the first floor! that is roughly 75 feet above the sea level. Just incredible. during sandy the Watch Hill keep reported the spray going over the house, hard to imagine waves breaking up there.attachicon.gifpost-322-0-96751300-1379595947.jpg

Wow, I didn't know that Taylor's house was the highest point between Southern Maine and Florida... that's impressive. 

Thanks for posting all the Watch Hill photos!

One thing that always was a bit of confusion to me is: over and over the reports of a massive tidal wave estimated at 30-50 feet tall told by survivors, many many accounts of what they thought was a fog bank approaching at rapid speed but was a wave. Knowing that hurricane surge comes in in stages like Katrina showed with a somewhat rapid increase with waves not the wall of water that is described, is it possible that an enormous rogue wave of unbelievable size did the majority of destruction wiping out the shore from LI to Mass? Any input would be helpful

I think it was slowing down pretty quickly though at landfall. The forward speed reached nearly 70 off the Delmarva and then the brakes were slammed.

Really? I wonder why. I don't think it got fully captured yet until SE Canada so a slowing down seems to go against logic. But, I could be just ignorant and read up more.

Really? I wonder why. I don't think it got fully captured yet until SE Canada so a slowing down seems to go against logic. But, I could be just ignorant and read up more.

I think in the jarvinen paper it mentions how the 38 hurricane was on of the slowest at landfall (contrary to lore) compared to most NE hurricanes and most of the crazy forward speed was gone by the time the thing was on LI. It didn't do it's cyclonic loop until over QC but I think it was full on phased by the time of landfall.

I think in the jarvinen paper it mentions how the 38 hurricane was on of the slowest at landfall (contrary to lore) compared to most NE hurricanes and most of the crazy forward speed was gone by the time the thing was on LI. It didn't do it's cyclonic loop until over QC but I think it was full on phased by the time of landfall.

Actually, didn't Hart mention that too in his presentation he did last year on warm seclusion storms? I thought he might have, but I don't quite remember.

Archived