Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
CWG SUMMER OUTLOOK

Deck Pic

I think we will finish around +1.3

I don't think that is a bad call, though not great

Rick Grow, who gave the rebuttal to my CWG outlook, went +2 to +3 (though closer to +2) on the map he issued 3 days before June 1st

His CONUS map will be really bad...he got the whole idea of the month wrong, though he will end up doing decent in our backyard

I think I definitely "won" the month...I will post verification in a few days...

On to July where I went Normal and he went +2 to +3 in his map he issued 2 days ago

I think we will finish around +1.3

I don't think that is a bad call, though not great

Rick Grow, who gave the rebuttal to my CWG outlook, went +2 to +3 (though closer to +2) on the map he issued 3 days before June 1st

His CONUS map will be really bad...he got the whole idea of the month wrong, though he will end up doing decent in our backyard

I think I definitely "won" the month...I will post verification in a few days...

On to July where I went Normal and he went +2 to +3 in his map he issued 2 days ago

Mentioned it before that your personal call of +1 to +2 will turn out excellent.  When someone says "average/normal" I assess that as a value range of -0.5 to +0.5.  I go with slightly above/slightly below as +0.5 to +1. I go with above as +1 to +2 and well above as >+2.

I would grade the "average/normal" call in a +1.2 month as C/C+.

Mentioned it before that your personal call of +1 to +2 will turn out excellent.  When someone says "average/normal" I assess that as a value range of -0.5 to +0.5.  I go with slightly above/slightly below as +0.5 to +1. I go with above as +1 to +2 and well above as >+2.

I would grade the "average/normal" call in a +1.2 month as C/C+.

mostly agree...I think missing my "range" by 0.8 isnt bad....plus I will nail the average max....I'd probably go C+/B-...I got screwed by low temps, though I accounted for that so I have no real excuse...

June - +1.3

Maxes - +0.2

Mins - +2.3

Bullseye call for you on range. you and I were talking about as early as mid May that this just was not going to be another torrid summer, lots of highs in the 88-93 range, not really below average but slightly above and as you posted it was the mins that held things up in the + to any degree.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Temperatures

June: Average - so-so

July: Average - mediocre

August: 1 to 2 degrees above average - who knows

Overall: Average to 1 degree above average - perhaps not bad?

Number of 90-degree days for June/July/August: 25-30 (Normal is 31) - looking solid maybe

Number of 100-degree days: 0 - looking good

Longest Streak of 90+: 6-8 days - A+

Precipitation

Somewhat above normal (125% of normal) - idea was right?

I think your forecast has been pretty darn good so far, Matt.  Even if we end up above normal this month, it doesn't "feel" above normal since most of that departure is from high min temps.  Although DCA might sneak in more 90+ days than the rest of us with some 90-91s where most of the region is 86-89, I'm thinking (hoping?) that we only have a handful of widespread 90s days ahead of us.  Might get up to 25 90+ days at DCA, but really don't see 30 unless something really changes.  

Temperatures

Number of 90-degree days for June/July/August: 25-30 (Normal is 31) - looking solid maybe

Precipitation

Mr Z. What caused the difference between your personal forecast and this one? For example personally you went with July as -1 to -2 while CWG you went average(which to me is -0.5 to +0.5) Also, even though it was not you who so stated, I cannot agree that an "average" call for June or July is "pretty darn good"

Mr Z. What caused the difference between your personal forecast and this one? For example personally you went with July as -1 to -2 while CWG you went average(which to me is -0.5 to +0.5) Also, even though it was not you who so stated, I cannot agree that an "average" call for June or July is "pretty darn good"

I did the personal one earlier and did it quick....this is the one I care about..the 1st was for fun......I agree with you to some extent...I do think the maxes help me....but I have no excuse and will have to grade myself fairly...we will have to see about August, but I was correct in assessing that this wouldn't be a brutal summer like the last 3....I will do a full grading as usual at the end of the year...KA has done the best so far of anyone I have read or seen....

• 5 weeks later...

Temperatures

Precipitation

I'll do a more detailed grading for CWG but

Monthlies C/C+

Overall A

Bonus categories A

Overall grade B/B+

Temperatures

Precipitation

I prefer numeric values as opposed to text so I am left to conclude that "average" is -0.5 to +0.5.  June and July I would both give a C+/B- to, August a D- for an overall C/C- on the monthlies. Overal seasonal temp.l was a bullseye, A+.  Raifnall call of somewhat above average was A/A-. #90's still tallying but looks like an A. I think your personal forecast was better but this was a good one, overall B 

I prefer numeric values as opposed to text so I am left to conclude that "average" is -0.5 to +0.5. June and July I would both give a C+/B- to, August a D- for an overall C/C- on the monthlies. Overal seasonal temp.l was a bullseye, A+. Raifnall call of somewhat above average was A/A-. #90's still tallying but looks like an A. I think your personal forecast was better but this was a good one, overall B

Thanks. And 90s were just for JJA. Not whole year.

• 1 month later...

Archived