Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
East Pacific Hurricane Season 2013

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

11E is a good example of how a robust convective maxima can easily alter ambiguous upper level flow. In this case, the system was experiencing some northerly shear, and as long as the convection remained pretty weak, it was going to continue to fight that shear, until it reached cooler waters. Instead we see a huge burst of convection, resulting in widespread anticyclonic outflow and now the storm is likely to become much stronger in this storm created lower shear environment. 

Am I the only one that doesn't thing this thing went gangbusters in the matter of a few hours? If we take a look at the CIMSS ADT, the final T# reached tropical storm strength around 12z and steadily intensified to T3.1/47 kt by the time NHC upgraded at 21z.

I'd venture to say it attained tropical storm strength even before that though. 09z seems like a good starting point:

20130831.0900.goes15.x.ir1km.11EELEVEN.3

If not then, certainly by 11z.

20130831.1100.goes15.x.ir1km.11EELEVEN.3

Am I the only one that doesn't thing this thing went gangbusters in the matter of a few hours? If we take a look at the CIMSS ADT, the final T# reached tropical storm strength around 12z and steadily intensified to T3.1/47 kt by the time NHC upgraded at 21z.

I'd venture to say it attained tropical storm strength even before that though. 09z seems like a good starting point:

If not then, certainly by 11z.

Yes, and that's probably something that will be corrected for the best track by the time the TCR is released. 

How is this not a hurricane????

To my knowledge the 85GHz only captures the middle and upper level portions of the deeper convection. So its possible it was only a well defined mid-level eye. The 37GHz microwave is said to capture the low-level convective structure better, and that imagery shows a less organized system. Still though, I think a case can be made to upgrade this to a hurricane post-analysis. 

20130901.1327.f16.x.color37.11EKIKO.60kt

Tropical storm for SoCal?  :lmao:

I noticed that, too.  It has happened, most-recently in 1939:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1939_California_tropical_storm

An interesting thing about this summer in SoCal has been the humidity, which has been much higher than usual.  We're getting a lot of moisture from these tropical systems down in Baja California, and it's been muggy and gross.  I was in the Desert yesterday, and the air was thick and tropical.

I noticed that, too.  It has happened, most-recently in 1939:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1939_California_tropical_storm

An interesting thing about this summer in SoCal has been the humidity, which has been much higher than usual.  We're getting a lot of moisture from these tropical systems down in Baja California, and it's been muggy and gross.  I was in the Desert yesterday, and the air was thick and tropical.

You make it sound like a bad thing. We get a tropical airmass in coastal SoCal so freaking rarely it drives me insane. Bring on the moisture.

You make it sound like a bad thing. We get a tropical airmass in coastal SoCal so freaking rarely it drives me insane. Bring on the moisture.

It's an annoyance during the week, when I'm dressed nicely for business and sweating constantly.  I live in L.A., not Baton Rouge, and I expect the weather to be reliably boring and comfortable.

As a NV resident, I like it. as a mix up. Though most of the rain is moonsoon related.

BTW, Norman 78 hit as a TD.

Ivo, Juliette, and Kiko all propagated much more to the north than to the west, all either directly affecting or at least coming close to land.  Although still not completely unusual for this time of year, this is more typical of early or late season systems in the E Pac.  Looks like 99E, should it develop, will follow the trend. 

Ivo, Juliette, and Kiko all propagated much more to the north than to the west, all either directly affecting or at least coming close to land.  Although still not completely unusual for this time of year, this is more typical of early or late season systems in the E Pac.  Looks like 99E, should it develop, will follow the trend. 

I feel the classic late-season track is a wide, boomeranging motion-- initially heading away from (or parallel to) the coast, then turning back sharply and accelerating toward the coast at a right angle (a la Kenna 2002-- below).

While the cyclones have been closer to land than usual this August, the track trajectories-- the way they're basically moving parallel to the coast-- are pretty typical for this time of year, I think.

post-19-0-23377700-1378317326_thumb.gif

I feel the classic late-season track is a wide, boomeranging motion-- initially heading away from (or parallel to) the coast, then turning back sharply and accelerating toward the coast at a right angle (a la Kenna 2002-- below).

While the cyclones have been closer to land than usual this August, the track trajectories-- the way they're basically moving parallel to the coast-- are pretty typical for this time of year, I think.

Yes, certainly the boomerang path is classic late season and is extremely rare before late Sep / Oct.  The NNW motion we've seen this Aug/Sep isn't in itself unusual, but I think the fact that: we've seen quite a few of them in a row, they're all close to land, and we haven't seen the classic east-west movers except for ones that are developing unusually far west, all adds up to an unusual couple of months. 

P.S. TS Lorena is currently approaching the southern tip of Baja from the south.

attachicon.gifkenna2002.gif

For mainland MX, yes. For Baja landfalls, less so.

Argubaly the most important EPAC storm of all time took a NNNW track:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Liza_1976_track.png

28storms.com

Another record just broke today: This is now the latest we've gone without a major hurricane in the Western Hemisphere since reliable records for the East Pacific began in 1971.

Does this include the SPAC?

Yes, certainly the boomerang path is classic late season and is extremely rare before late Sep / Oct.  The NNW motion we've seen this Aug/Sep isn't in itself unusual, but I think the fact that: we've seen quite a few of them in a row, they're all close to land, and we haven't seen the classic east-west movers except for ones that are developing unusually far west, all adds up to an unusual couple of months. 

P.S. TS Lorena is currently approaching the southern tip of Baja from the south.

Eh, I think Josh got it right on the head at least for the mainalnd

classic mainland EPAC landfall is something like Tico 83/Waldo 85/Paine 85 or for southern strikes, Winifred 92

Archived