Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
East Pacific Hurricane Season 2013

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TD 9E has formed, should become 'Ivo'.  Not exactly the tingle-worthy forecast we were hoping for a couple of days ago <_<

attachicon.gif145110W5_NL_sm.gif

The one to follow on various globals in about 8 days should be, judging from model trends, stronger, and Los Cabos are within the GEFS ensemble spray.  996 mb or stronger, or it seems about half the GEFS see a hurricane...

post-138-0-88664200-1377183743_thumb.gif

The one to follow on various globals in about 8 days should be, judging from model trends, stronger, and Los Cabos are within the GEFS ensemble spray.  996 mb or stronger, or it seems about half the GEFS see a hurricane...

Some CMC/GFS runs have brought this to a sub-980 mbar intensity.

sw.gfsacctype18-43.gif

Sorry for the snow map lol, but this shows the rainfall GFS is showing for the Mojave desert through 120hrs.

It looks like it is funneling moisture up the Gulf of CA and then up the CO river into the Mojave, hence the Mojave gets the Jackpot for the first time ever. We'll see if it happens. GFS has shown it for multiple runs now and has support from the GGEM.

It's getting there.

Yeah that plume of convection on the west side pushed the rest of the convection out of the way in the western half.  Meanwhile on the east side, what had looked like its own coherent circulation is now degenerating into another ball of thunderstorms.  It's a pretty unusual evolution for a TC, isn't it?  Usually if there's two circulations in play you'll see one eat the other but it's almost like they're going toe-to-toe.

Yeah that plume of convection on the west side pushed the rest of the convection out of the way in the western half.  Meanwhile on the east side, what had looked like its own coherent circulation is now degenerating into another ball of thunderstorms.  It's a pretty unusual evolution for a TC, isn't it?  Usually if there's two circulations in play you'll see one eat the other but it's almost like they're going toe-to-toe.

GFS a few days ago was showing that on repeated runs, two distinct 850 mb vort maxes in very close proximity and sort of Fujiwara-ing each other. 

The GFS ensembles like the wave I was wishcasting to develop in the SW Caribbean a few days ago, as CIMSS MIMIC-TPW showed a most excellent wave that just came in a little too low, with its center running very near the coast of South America.  I am assuming a 996 mb storm on a half resolution ensemble means the perturbation is predicting a hurricane.

An aside on Ivo, 6Z GFS does wonders for the Salton Sea.

post-138-0-44712700-1377272241_thumb.gif

post-138-0-61956500-1377272320_thumb.gif

Dude, c'mon-- don't sweat it.  What are ya gonna "miss"-- some added marine layer and higher humidity?   :lol:

As much as Irene was a huge pain in the sack for our house, neighbors, and many citizens, I enjoyed the environment it created.  The constant wind, the rain, the duration of the event.  It was interesting.

Sandy too.  I know you have been through some wicked storms but here in Jersey... and California of course... we don't get to see this stuff much and I try to appreciate it for what it is, even if it's not much in the grand scheme of weather.

Of course I enjoyed running around in the rain from an early age so I am probably just brain damaged :lmao:

It's nice getting rain from a tropical cyclone.

I suppose.  But I just don't think Jim needs to beat himself up over a tropical shower.  :D

As much as Irene was a huge pain in the sack for our house, neighbors, and many citizens, I enjoyed the environment it created.  The constant wind, the rain, the duration of the event.  It was interesting.

Sandy too.  I know you have been through some wicked storms but here in Jersey... and California of course... we don't get to see this stuff much and I try to appreciate it for what it is, even if it's not much in the grand scheme of weather.

Of course I enjoyed running around in the rain from an early age so I am probably just brain damaged :lmao:

:lol:

I guess all of us here are a little weird, right?  I mean, we hang here on this board, talking about these nerdy topics endlessly.  :D

I suppose.  But I just don't think Jim needs to beat himself up over a tropical shower.   :D

:lol:

I guess all of us here are a little weird, right?  I mean, we hang here on this board, talking about these nerdy topics endlessly.   :D

I have not gotten rain from a TC in 5 years.

Now, back to Ivo. It's 40 knts stiil, but likely to weaken. All eyes will then move on the wave off Mexico, which has a chance to become the first MH of the season.

What's left of Ivo has spun off what appears to be a tightly rotating anticyclonic 'whorl' of thunderstorms over the Gulf of California.  It's hard to say for sure, but the IR cloud tops suggest that this new circulation is spinning quite nicely.  (Who's got a nice zoomable sat image link to share?)  In any event, there's plenty of convection going on.  At the moment the complex is heading straight north toward Hermosillo and Tucson. 

:weenie:  :weenie:

New Invest 98- whenever I see an invest way out in the Pacific, I always think back to all the 1992 Iniki home movies I have watched on TV.  Hawaii Iniki Cradle, I term I just invented, rather active.

Still attached to the ITCZ,

Neither 97 or 98E appear to be Hawai'i threats, but at least it is something.  The formation of Fernand might have ruined what could have been a hurricane and possibly Baja threat, judging from the models that didn't see the Fernand wave developing, and crossed the wave cleanly and at lower latitude across Central America, rather than through the mountains of Mexico, with almost all the GEF members suggesting a sub 1000 mb Juliette passing near the Baja, many below 996 mb.

post-138-0-12820700-1377812934_thumb.jpg

Archived