Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
2013 Mt. Holly CWA Convection Thread

SouthernNJ

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

15% for Wind and Hail was pulled all the way to the coast, but the 30% Wind was cut off north of NYC with the 1630.  Discussion didn't specifically mention why the 30% was pulled back, but it seems that more cloud cover down here limiting instability was what prompted them to do it.

Exactly, and if you check the current radar, the storms are pretty much firing north and east of PA in the Hudson River valley and heading toward New England.

mcd0937.gif

PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...40 PERCENT

SUMMARY...ISOLATED/MARGINALLY SEVERE TSTMS IN THE LEE OF THE CNTRL
   APPALACHIANS MAY DEVELOP EWD TOWARDS THE I-95 CORRIDOR THIS EVENING.

DISCUSSION...A FEW TSTMS HAVE DEVELOPED ACROSS FAR NRN VA/ERN WV
   PANHANDLE...WITH ADDITIONAL AGITATED CU NOTED ON VISIBLE SATELLITE
   IMAGERY NEWD INTO ERN PA. WITH THE SHORTWAVE TROUGH AXIS EVIDENT IN
   WATER VAPOR IMAGERY RUNNING FROM THE LEE OF LK ONTARIO INTO NERN
   PA...THERE IS SOME UNCERTAINTY AS TO THE DEGREE OF TSTM COVERAGE IN
   THE NEXT FEW HOURS GIVEN THE DAMPENING/NEWD MOVEMENT OF THE TROUGH
   AWAY FROM THE REGION. STILL...A MODESTLY UNSTABLE AIR MASS WITH
   MLCAPE NEAR 1000 J/KG AMIDST PREVALENT MIDDLE 80S SURFACE
   TEMPERATURES COULD FOSTER FURTHER DEVELOPMENT. WITH THE REGION LYING
   ON THE PERIPHERY OF THE STRONGER MID-LEVEL SWLYS...A FEW MARGINALLY
   ORGANIZED TSTMS SHOULD POSE A RISK OF ISOLATED SEVERE HAIL AND
   DAMAGING WINDS.

...and we got not even ONE DROP of rain back here in Tamaqua.

Your seasonal snowfall listing is also a sad state of affairs...

2012-2013 Snowfall

11/27/12 - 2.50"     01/21/13 - 0.25"     02/13/13 - 0.25

12/24/12 - 1.50"     01/25/13 - 1.25"

12/26/12 - 2.00"     01/28/13 - 0.75"

12/29/12 - 4.75"     02/02/13 - 2.00"

01/16/13 - 3.75"     02/08/13 - 5.75"

Seasonal Total - 24.75"

;)

Your seasonal snowfall listing is also a sad state of affairs...

2012-2013 Snowfall

11/27/12 - 2.50"     01/21/13 - 0.25"     02/13/13 - 0.25

12/24/12 - 1.50"     01/25/13 - 1.25"

12/26/12 - 2.00"     01/28/13 - 0.75"

12/29/12 - 4.75"     02/02/13 - 2.00"

01/16/13 - 3.75"     02/08/13 - 5.75"

Seasonal Total - 24.75"

;)

LOL...I did a two month stint with a long haul trucking company and wasn't home much. I'm sure there are a few events that aren't included. I forgot that was even up. I usually take down the snowfall events once we get into May/June.

As far as Monday goes, heres what the GFS is printing out.

post-810-137069673463.jpg

post-810-137069674398.jpg

post-810-137069675118.jpg

post-810-137069675784.jpg

It looks pretty saturated, tropical style airmass. But assuming we can get some sunshine, we could build up some cape and make things interesting. That's all for now.

Dr. Forbes is bullish for Wednesday for the southern part of our area for possible "multiple" derechos, and a torcon of 2. Risk area that's painted looks eerily like the derecho event last year. Not saying it's going to happen, just figured I'd get some discussion going about it.

From DT

*** ALERT ** 1ST POSSIBLE DERECHO EVENT OF THE SEASON FOR OHIO VALLEY and MIDDLE ATLANTIC Wed afternoon ...evening ...into early Thursday morning

Here is the 18z WRF /NAM ... at 72 hrs ( top 3 maps) and six hours later at 84 hrs . The LEFT maps are UPPER AIR ( 500mb) .. and shows a Powerful piece of energy in the Jet stream over Chicago ( CIRCLE IN YELLOW) ... 6 hours later that feature is over IND/ OH., The huge cluster of storms over southern WI and raced ESE .. classic DERECHO track-- into southeast MI and Northeast OH.

IF .... IF .. this is correct the DERECHO would hit western and / or central PA western / central MD and DEL... It Might skim Northern VA early Thursday morning

From DT

*** ALERT ** 1ST POSSIBLE DERECHO EVENT OF THE SEASON FOR OHIO VALLEY and MIDDLE ATLANTIC Wed afternoon ...evening ...into early Thursday morning

Here is the 18z WRF /NAM ... at 72 hrs ( top 3 maps) and six hours later at 84 hrs . The LEFT maps are UPPER AIR ( 500mb) .. and shows a Powerful piece of energy in the Jet stream over Chicago ( CIRCLE IN YELLOW) ... 6 hours later that feature is over IND/ OH., The huge cluster of storms over southern WI and raced ESE .. classic DERECHO track-- into southeast MI and Northeast OH.

IF .... IF .. this is correct the DERECHO would hit western and / or central PA western / central MD and DEL... It Might skim Northern VA early Thursday morning

Figured this would happen after last year.  Yes, it's a classic ring of fire pattern for Midwest MCSs, but an actual derecho - and one that survives the Appalachians - is too rare to start hyping about.

Stormy week ahead?  Absolutely.  Muchos derechoes?  Ya veremos...

Anyway... I wouldn't be surprised to see a tornado report or two tomorrow in the Mid-Atlantic.  Contingent on pockets of instability, of course, but warm fronts always mean business in terms of enhanced shear, and it's a bit rare to get a set-up where we have that shear in our area instead of up in Canada removed from the warm sector like a typical summer set-up.

Anyway... I wouldn't be surprised to see a tornado report or two tomorrow in the Mid-Atlantic. Contingent on pockets of instability, of course, but warm fronts always mean business in terms of enhanced shear, and it's a bit rare to get a set-up where we have that shear in our area instead of up in Canada removed from the warm sector like a typical summer set-up.

yeah, exactly. Without any clearing. pockets of sunshine, we'll be lmiited on instability. But anyone that can squeak out that sunshine better be aware.

as far as "derechos" go, i'd call it an MCS pattern. GFS has been hinting as bal-DC corridor as the taregt area.

Nam hinting at small pockets of instability possible, albeit briefly. We wouldnt need much though:

u5upegu9.jpg

Dr. Forbes is bullish for Wednesday for the southern part of our area for possible "multiple" derechos, and a torcon of 2. Risk area that's painted looks eerily like the derecho event last year. Not saying it's going to happen, just figured I'd get some discussion going about it.

:facepalm:

I do think there's a good shot of some MCS development but he throws derecho around far, far too often.

Well....

Between 20z-00z, the 6z GFS and 00z WRFs were suggestive of a possible supercell along the Delaware River. If we can reasonably develop sufficient CAPE INVOF the warm front, this scenario is possible. Something to look out for later (keep an eye on the warm front / surface obs).

Wow, starting to look like a wild afternoon or evening is at least possible today, huh?

Ehh, all depending on how far the warm front advances and if we can get some clearing. Best chances are down south towards Balt-Dc, but SE pa-snj isn't completely outta the game. At least the wind shear profiles and hodo's look nice, as well as te lcl levels @<750m agl

Archived