wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Mr Allen's Summer Outlook

WEATHER53

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always thought it was for JJA...yes...we have a shot at putting up some numbers in August and September...I think we are at 21 so far...average is 37....45 is pretty ambitious unless we really have a hot August/Sep

I'd suspect it was only for JJA.  Why would you include all 90+ days for the year in a summer call?

Even if not, it would still have to be blazing to get another 24 days of 90+ this year.

I'd suspect it was only for JJA.  Why would you include all 90+ days for the year in a summer call?

Even if not, it would still have to be blazing to get another 24 days of 90+ this year.

Yeah, and the long range doesn't show any heat.  Looking right now like August is going to be below normal.

Yeah, and the long range doesn't show any heat.  Looking right now like August is going to be below normal.

I'm absolutely 100% OK with that idea.

I simply can't see any way we'd get more than 20 days of 90+ right now.  I wouldn't scoff if someone suggested 9-12 days though.  Even then, I'm thinking most of those would be 90, 91, 92 type heat - nothing truly unberable.

I'm absolutely 100% OK with that idea.

I simply can't see any way we'd get more than 20 days of 90+ right now.  I wouldn't scoff if someone suggested 9-12 days though.  Even then, I'm thinking most of those would be 90, 91, 92 type heat - nothing truly unberable.

It's possible that we have seen our last 90+ degree day of the season (though I still think we sneak two or three 90 or 91 degree days).  With the exception of the week of heat in mid-July, high temperatures most of the summer have been running below average.  Right now, I think August continues that trend of high temperatures generally running below to near average.  It's crazy to say, but it has been a fairly cool summer.

It's possible that we have seen our last 90+ degree day of the season (though I still think we sneak two or three 90 or 91 degree days).  With the exception of the week of heat in mid-July, high temperatures most of the summer have been running below average.  Right now, I think August continues that trend of high temperatures generally running below to near average.  It's crazy to say, but it has been a fairly cool summer.

This summer has actually seen above normal temperatures in DC so far, but the maximums haven't been that bad.  However, every August in DC history (dating back to 1872) has seen at least one 90+ day.  The closest DC came to escaping without such a day was in 1889, when there were only seven 90+ readings through July 14th and then only one more that year -- an even 90 on August 31st. Oddly, the hottest day of 1889 was May 9th, with a high temperature of 93.

I don't think DCA gets by without another 90+ day.  We get a west wind in a warm airmass on a partly sunny day in the next few weeks and it'll warm up the airport/Crystal City area enough to spike the temps above 90 pretty easily.  I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that places near you or out near Winchester and the like could escape another 90+ day though.

Passed on to me by a friend.

Summer:+0.5 to +1.0

Rainfall:10-12"

#90+:45

#100+:1

All three months will range +0.5 to +1.0

Although an above average summer it will not be as torrid as last 3

Analog years:1932,34,60

Thinks current cold snap will not break until mid April.

Think this was another excellent call for July with July coming in at +1.4.  Will go with an A-.

I don't think DCA gets by without another 90+ day.  We get a west wind in a warm airmass on a partly sunny day in the next few weeks and it'll warm up the airport/Crystal City area enough to spike the temps above 90 pretty easily.  I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that places near you or out near Winchester and the like could escape another 90+ day though.

The Accuweather 45-day forecast doesn't have a 90° day.  So, bring out the record book.

The Accuweather 45-day forecast doesn't have a 90° day.  So, bring out the record book.

Sorry, now it does -- for this Thursday.  Of course, that could change. :)

What I find interesting, though, is that every August in DC weather history has had at least one 90+ day, but not every July:  July 1891 missed, even though there were ten 90+ days that year.

Sorry, now it does -- for this Thursday.  Of course, that could change. :)

What I find interesting, though, is that every August in DC weather history has had at least one 90+ day, but not every July:  July 1891 missed, even though there were ten 90+ days that year.

Sure enough, 22202 does but 22203 doesn't.

87 today. Not even close. The streak lives!

wunderground showed an ob of 88 earlier tho i don't see it now looking.  didn't think we'd get there per se but it was 87 at 2 with a west wind. 

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like a +3 per day week starting Monday and if so the JJA average well may be in +0.5 to +1.0 and Mr Allen would bullseye the seasonal temperature call.

it is going to end up being an excellent outlook...2 out of 3 months excellent and even decent on August....and seasonal call going to be stellar....The 90+ call is a bad one, but I don't think missing those bonus predictions takes away at all...they can give an outlook a little boost but I wouldn't deduct anything...

it is going to end up being an excellent outlook...2 out of 3 months excellent and even decent on August....and seasonal call going to be stellar....The 90+ call is a bad one, but I don't think missing those bonus predictions takes away at all...they can give an outlook a little boost but I wouldn't deduct anything...

And you were right about the below average 30 day period, it just ran mid-late month to mid-late month so the monthly number could not work out for you.

Archived