• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Which was your favorite 4-8" snowstorm during one of the three epic seasons and why?

gymengineer

4-8" in epic season  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite 4-8" snowstorm within one of the three epic seasons (95/96, 02/03, 09/10)?

• 1/12/96
    • 2/2-3/96
    • 2/16/96
    • 3/8/96
    • 12/05/02
    • 2/6-7/03
    • 2/27-28/03
    • 1/30/10

I have to go with 2/2/96 for the cold that came with it and afterwards. Seemed like a mini version of 1899 with the record breaking cold in the midwest on the same airmass and a cold snowstorm that did really well on the immediate coast. I think IAD dropped to or below -10 after storm, colder than in the 94 outbreak (although the 94 storm had a colder daytime high...doubt that is even possible anymore).

I have to go with 2/2/96 for the cold that came with it and afterwards. Seemed like a mini version of 1899 with the record breaking cold in the midwest on the same airmass and a cold snowstorm that did really well on the immediate coast. I think IAD dropped to or below -10 after storm, colder than in the 94 outbreak (although the 94 storm had a colder daytime high...doubt that is even possible anymore).

For some reason I can't remember much about that cold snap. It's one of the few extreme weather events I have little recollection about.

Mine is 1/11-12/96. It was basically a lesser version of 2/9-10/10, serving to complete the week-long shut-down of the region. The federal government closed again after opening on Thursday, and the storm completed the whole-week closure of area schools. After the clipper on the 9th complicated snow removal, this storm and its anticipation caused the collapse of restoring normal routines in much of the area. It wasn't until after MLK Day that schools were able to reopen.

Remember the crazy ETA run from Wednesday that showed 12"+ snow and sleet for this storm? There was pretty much panic from that forecast until more sane numbers came in by Thursday afternoon.

I remember Bob Ryan coming on and was obviously alarmed and the possibility of another foot plus. He did his best to try and keep every one calm in face of another monster but you could tell he was shocked at what that model showed that day.

For some reason I can't remember much about that cold snap. It's one of the few extreme weather events I have little recollection about.

Aside from the MN all-time record cold temps being recorded, this cold wave was IAD's last deep plunge below 0F. I remember seeing the car thermometer on the way to school read -5F.

I remember Bob Ryan coming on and was obviously alarmed and the possibility of another foot plus. He did his best to try and keep every one calm in face of another monster but you could tell he was shocked at what that model showed that day.

And the not-so-good met on ABC- Phil Pfister or something like it- showed a graphic listing verbatim what the ETA printed out. I understand why-- Bob Ryan saw the ETA and then proceeded to deliver his infamous "Top 3 snowstorm" forecast on Friday night 24 hours before the onset of 1/96. So after the blizzard, everyone was buying into the ETA.

The Blizzard '96 special on WUSA that Thursday evening cut to Doug Hill trying to piece together the forecast for the 1/12 storm. He explained how maybe the colder temps might offset the somewhat lower QPF. In the end, my town (Potomac) verified the 6-12" forecast for the DC region.

Hard to really pick one, but I chose February 16, 1996. It was an over performer and the only 6"+ storm that was all snow down here that year. People probably don't remember the March 1996 snow, but it was associated with a very impressive cold snap. RIC had several days of record low temperatures and highs struggled to reach freezing under the strong March sun. 

For Feb 2-3, 1996, the area between Richmond and Fredericksburg had a relatively large area with 12"+ amounts. It was a bust for us since a couple days prior, we thought we'd get more than the blizzard. It was a cold storm, but IP significantly lowered accumulations in the immediate metro area. Huge Ice storm (ZR) to SE in Hampton Roads.

1/30/10... Only one I was here for

Same. I did have 5.1" from Feb 2/3 2010 which seemed like more of a shocker than the 6.1" on Jan 30.

Aside from the MN all-time record cold temps being recorded, this cold wave was IAD's last deep plunge below 0F. I remember seeing the car thermometer on the way to school read -5F.

The mid-90s were awesome up in MN. Record cold in 94 and 96, and a ton of snow (especially west) in 97.

I'm not really old enough to remember the 02-03 events in MD (besides PDII of course). I can say without a doubt that 1/30/2010 wins easily for me down here. Not only was it my largest storm since moving (13.25"), but it also featured white-out conditions for a time with very cold temps. The jackpot area was originally progged to be on the VA/NC border but slowly crept north right up until the precip was over us.

Taken by Midlo right down the street from my house...

post-250-0-21233600-1360767252_thumb.jpg

1/30/10. Don't remember small storms in 96 besides the two immediately after the Blizzard. Was at PSU for 02 and 03.

The February 96 storms weren't small. Both are in the KU book. And both were significant. DCA got over 15" from them. Do you remember the Marc train accident where a number of people got trapped and killed? That might jog your memory. That was the 2nd one.

The February 96 storms weren't small. Both are in the KU book. And both were significant. DCA got over 15" from them. Do you remember the Marc train accident where a number of people got trapped and killed? That might jog your memory. That was the 2nd one.

No, don't remember them.  I was 14.  

2/2 96-- wasn't down in LYH but airport had 12.5. most of town was closer to 14-15 inches. Sleet mixed much of the first round JUST south of town

2/16-- 8.5

12/5/02

it was like 5 inches of snow, inch of sleet and a good .25 of zr on top. Total qpf was an inch. Major event for us down here.

1/30/10-- 12 inches. 2.5 in one hour and 27 hours of snow. Great event. I like when snow is supposed to end and you get a few extra hours. I thought it was done and one last band whipped through dropping another .5 in an hour. Pushed us over 12 inches.

Archived