• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Last winter vs. this winter

MichaelJ

This winter has been better, I think I have 40% of my average snowfall instead of 25%.  I think it has been cooler overall, although I think my max low temp may have been colder last winter...I'd have to look it up but I remember one good cold snap last year.  I could be imagining it though.  Really though, the snow I got this winter was wet and melting by 10am the next day, this winter has been garbage too, just slightly better.

Honestly, this is worse. Last winter was warmer, so it was pleasant at least. No snow, but no teases. I hate teases. I hate watching models for a week just to see the same non-climo favored areas getting dumped on while I get hours of snow that doesn't stick, or snow that does stick, but only lasts for 15 minutes before a precip hole takes over. I'd rather have no storms than ****ty storms.

Honestly, this is worse. Last winter was warmer, so it was pleasant at least. No snow, but no teases. I hate teases. I hate watching models for a week just to see the same non-climo favored areas getting dumped on while I get hours of snow that doesn't stick, or snow that does stick, but only lasts for 15 minutes before a precip hole takes over. I'd rather have no storms than ****ty storms.

How many teases have you had this winter?

Two words, rain and warm, describe this winter in these mountains. With a foot and a half of rain, this may be the wettest winter ever, and with my low all season at 22 degrees, that's 7 degrees warmer than last year, so far. Many more warm days, and NO days this year with a high below 34 degrees. Last year I had three. Kast year I had two 5 minute bouts of flurries, but this year I had the sleet and ice storm in January, and todays 3/4 inch of show. My pond froze over two days last winter, and none so far this winter. My high of 72 in mid-January was 3 degrees higher than last year's winter high, which came in late February. After getting over 3 feet of snow in '09/'10, I'm spoiled.....

Last winter was warm, this winter was warm. This winter was much wetter than last. Last winter we had no snow or ice threats. This year we had a few threats but came up empty every time. Last winter we had about 10 sleet pellets. This winter we had about 10 snowflakes. Not much difference overall. The worst back to back winters in my lifetime easily, and probably in the last 100 years.

Last winter was a torch. This winter was a super torch. Last year we broke a couple of record highs. This year we have broken numerous record highs. Last year we had two tornado warnings and several severe thunderstorm warnings. This year was as dry as a bone with only recently receiving rain and 1 STW. Last year coldest was 23 on Jan 2. This year coldest may be tonight at 25.

Year = Winter

3 I think. 1/17, 1/25 and today. If forecasts went as I expected I would be somewhere between 4-8" on the season right now instead of 1.2". Widre isn't far from me.

You got 1.2"? That's more than I got. A heavy dusting to a 5th of an inch on 1/17, a quarter inch TOPS on 1/25, combined sleet and ice, and then today, which is pretty much nothing, but we might speak of a dusting at one point this morning.

I already gave my grade, but as far as comparing this winter to last, according to my memory, at least here, last year it turned "warm" after the first week of Feb and never really looked back.  At least this year we have had snow in Feb enough to make good snowman, and still tracking possible events 10 days out here in late Feb going into March.  So I'd say this winter much different (better) than last, at least imby and in my mind.  

Archived