joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June Severe Thread

downeastnc

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NWS Nashville storm reports indicate possible tornadoes earlier today in Dickson and Rutherford Counties, TN:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=ohx&storyid=92900&source=0

Pretty decent supercell ongoing near the Arkansas/Missippi border as well.  Unbelievable wedge here in the NE part of Atlanta, Birmingham has warmed to a balmy 74 degrees while we're here with drizzle and 44 degrees.  God I hate these @@#%& wedges unless it's January and dewpoints are in the teens with about 1.5 inches of QPF to come.  They are miserable in March and April.  No severe stuff here with this crap in place...those to the west of Atlanta will have to watch out in the next six hours however.

Pretty decent supercell ongoing near the Arkansas/Missippi border as well.  Unbelievable wedge here in the NE part of Atlanta, Birmingham has warmed to a balmy 74 degrees while we're here with drizzle and 44 degrees.  God I hate these @@#%& wedges unless it's January and dewpoints are in the teens with about 1.5 inches of QPF to come.  They are miserable in March and April.  No severe stuff here with this crap in place...those to the west of Atlanta will have to watch out in the next six hours however.

Since it's so balmy here in Alabama, do you think the tornado threat has increased?

I'm sure you love wedges in July when it's 100 in Atlanta and only in the 70s or 80s where you live.

Since it's so balmy here in Alabama, do you think the tornado threat has increased?

SPC has northern AL under a Severe T-Storm Watch now:

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/watch/ww0052.html

This morning's sounding from AL (Shelby Co.) shows a fair amount of shear, so I would keep an eye on things; a few isolated tornadoes can't be ruled out. So far it looks like hail and bow echo storms with strong straight-line winds are the main threats.

post-9273-0-42317100-1363637391_thumb.gi

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED

TORNADO WATCH NUMBER 53

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

415 PM EDT MON MAR 18 2013

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A

TORNADO WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF

EAST CENTRAL ALABAMA

WESTERN GEORGIA

EFFECTIVE THIS MONDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING FROM 415 PM UNTIL

1000 PM EDT.

TORNADOES...HAIL TO 2 INCHES IN DIAMETER...THUNDERSTORM WIND

GUSTS TO 70 MPH...AND DANGEROUS LIGHTNING ARE POSSIBLE IN THESE

AREAS.

THE TORNADO WATCH AREA IS APPROXIMATELY ALONG AND 85 STATUTE

MILES EAST AND WEST OF A LINE FROM 40 MILES NORTHWEST OF ATLANTA

GEORGIA TO 45 MILES EAST OF TROY ALABAMA. FOR A COMPLETE

DEPICTION OF THE WATCH SEE THE ASSOCIATED WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE

(WOUS64 KWNS WOU3).

I would think this cell near Atlanta is pretty dangerous. The level3 radar is saying 2.25" hail, so I would tend to think 1.75" hail, and it's heading south of downtown Atlanta. I think I'm seeing broad rotation on the cell.

Douglasville GA 1.75"

Bowdon, GA 2"

I'm sure you love wedges in July when it's 100 in Atlanta and only in the 70s or 80s where you live.

A. I love the summer, I'm a pool/beach person, I only love cold weather if there is a chance of a winter storm.

B. when is the last time we had a cool wedge here in July/August? When Atlanta is in the upper 80's /90's, we are too. Wedges do not happen here in the dog days. No, its not impossible and has happened before, but not even worth mentioning.

The supercell in Coweta county has the best presentation on radar right now and has to be putting down some pretty big hail...don't have my GR3 fired up, but not sure about any rotation on that cell. Anyone have a screen cap of the Coweta County (southwest of Atlanta) supercell?

That's a monster supercell, tons of inflow into it too.

a9atu7at.jpg

a3uzagu3.jpg

Archived