joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
week of the 20th-26th arctic cold..

NaoPos

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only if there were football championship games that weekend....

Surprisingly...Cincy was actually warmer on "cold sunday" afternoon than they were for the Freezer Bowl the week prior.

http://classic.wunderground.com/history/airport/KCVG/1982/1/17/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

http://classic.wunderground.com/history/airport/KCVG/1982/1/10/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

I wonder if some of those "northern" solutions verify on Friday at what temperature would freezing rain stop occurring after a week like this.

was wondering that too.  especially since there's no snow on the ground for much of us...ground will be nice and chilled.

(kinda hoping southern solutions win this battle)

Looking over current trends right now it appears to me that our brutal arctic push is moving more east than south.. and in some cases east-northeast with the most brutal air this would change everything... our coldest weather in 5 years would be very muted and shallow at best if this trend continues...

Case in point look out in the Plains cold is not really moving south but east you can see it on the temperature profiles clearly seen on the water vapor map too...  and look at that a low on the southern branch moving towards the Baja... hmmm

Don't mind at all...the hype really needs to get toned down.  It's going to be cold but the talk from some in the media and the snake oil salesmen of "coldest since 07 or beyond" is absurd given January 2011 was pretty damn cold.

Makes me wonder if they just forgot that month since there was snow on the ground, and this one has little.

I remember that cold spell in 1994 vividly.  It was only a little over a mile, but I had to walk to & from work at QVC in West Chester from New Kent Apartments.  Wowie zowie was that ever cold!  Here's hoping I get to experience something even remotely like that again soon.

Back on this date in 1985 we were up vacationing in Pocono's at Emerald Lakes & it was -20 at neighboring MPO with wind. Downright nasty, coldest weather I ever experienced in the Mt. Holly forecast area and the worst part was the temperature basically never budged all day - stayed in the negative teens all afternoon. Vicious cold....

Archived