Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE/Okle: Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two reasons why I don't like snow in March.

1) It doesn't last long on the ground as long as a December/January snow will...January 2011 was awesome -- snow on the ground most of the month.  Wishing for a snowstorm that lasts a day or two (more often than not) before melting away is pointless. If it's going to snow, I want *some* return on investment beyond model humping and watching it snow, only to melt within a couple of days.

2) I want to get out and enjoy nice weather (60's) on occasion.  March is the first *good* month where you get some nice weather, even if it's fleeting and a one or two day event.  Winter is the cold season and the last six weeks have generally been pretty cold more often than not...I like that days are longer, sunshine brighter & stronger.  It'd be nice to go out for a run and not freeze your a-- off.

I'm more the type that would rather get blitzed with snow around Christmas/holidays, have a cold January with a couple of modest events so the snow sticks on the ground for the whole of the month, and then gradually have it melt in February so March 1st can be *somewhat* Spring-like. 

The storms that accompany March snow can be pretty epic but the return on investment after the storm is really short-duration.

FWIW, two winters ago was about as perfect as I could hope for...six weeks of nonstop cold, snow, spring pretty much hit late February with only a few cold days along the way thereafter.  Yeah, it snowed a couple of times (including April Fools Day) but winter was effectively over 2/25 that year.

I have a similar outlook on winter weather.  For example, a place like SE New England would not satisfy my cravings for winter because they are just about as prone to rain as we are during the "cold" months.  It's NO fun getting 34" of snow........followed a few days later by a rain storm that takes a good chunk of it away, and makes a huge mess.  I'd rather have a climate that is dryer, but hardly ever gets to freezing during D/J/F.  When a place like that DOES get a big storm, it'll be around for awhile to enjoy.  Plus, even if a cold place doesn't get a big storm, the smaller ones add up to a decent snow pack anyway.  Places like Northern Minnesota, Northern Maine, and some of the dryer mountains (Colorado) out west would be on my bucket list if climate were the only concern in my life. 

Archived