• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NorLun Trough's

Chrisrotary12

Since we are in a boring (but active) time during the winter I am trying to better understand some of the atmospheric phenomena that impact our New England winters.

I have read and I understand this paper: http://www.weatheranswer.com/public/NORLUN2.pdf

I am curious to see if some of you guys have some other thoughts or forecasting tricks? Maybe some good memories that I could look at and perform my own case study.

Thanks in advance.

One thing I think happens a bit is we tend to call a lot of inverted surface troughs a norlun and that's a bit deceiving.

They are a lot of fun though, IMO. A synoptic scale event playing itself out on the mesoscale level.

They can be prolific producers if you have the right ingredients in place.

Yeah and they'll always have a narrow area that just gets destroyed in a 6hr time. Models struggle with these convective snows.

I don't know if there are any tricks to forecasting these. Usually, models will show some sort of an inverted trough....it's not something you can try to take a stab at....if conditions warrant, models will show it. They are very mesoscale and models may not always have the exact placement down, so a 20 mile shift means a 10" dump in 3hrs that originally looked like it could be over NE MA is now in BOS and you have huge bust potential. NORLUNs are one of those deals where a model like the NAM may spit out 6" of snow and you end up with 12".

12/19-20/07 dropped 14.0" here...almost the 5 year anni.

That was a decent event...fairly widespread actually...but it had some very intense squall-like bands embedded in the lighter snows. BOS had over 7" and some of the northern towns up near the NH border had close to 10" IIRC.

Some quick facts on Norluns, from me:

• They are magical
  • They make it snow in my backyard
  • I like them
  • The GFS signals them too often
  • People also call something a Norlun too often when it's still directly associated with a low
  • You don't understand Norluns like I understand
  • Norluns

Archived