• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
5 yrs ago today

CoastalWx

oh i can't complain. especially with the "cold tuck" in the evening hours and the light snow (OES enhanced?) continuing into Sat. As well as the snow event that Sunday. It was defintely a very underated 3 day period

You are confusing 2007 and 2008. Both had snow events on Sunday...but the 2007 event occurred on the Thursday and ended Thursday evening while the 2008 event started on a Friday near lunchtime (much like the '07 event did on a Thursday near lunchtime) but lingered with the inverted trough/OES enhancement into Saturday.

The events on Sunday were a bit different...the '07 event was a big SWFE that was progged to turn to sleet after a few inches...but it held on long enough to give a widespread 8-10" along and north of the pike. The 2008 event was a late blooming coastal...almost like a SWFE early on but popped a coastal E of MA and saw a CCB tail get NE MA and into SE NH and Maine.

You are confusing 2007 and 2008. Both had snow events on Sunday...but the 2007 event occurred on the Thursday and ended Thursday evening while the 2008 event started on a Friday near lunchtime (much like the '07 event did on a Thursday near lunchtime) but lingered with the inverted trough/OES enhancement into Saturday.

The events on Sunday were a bit different...the '07 event was a big SWFE that was progged to turn to sleet after a few inches...but it held on long enough to give a widespread 8-10" along and north of the pike. The 2008 event was a late blooming coastal...almost like a SWFE early on but popped a coastal E of MA and saw a CCB tail get NE MA and into SE NH and Maine.

Even more interesting anniversary coming up in 2 days...S+ in New Bedford MA while Kevin was pelting away, lol.

I remember that epic week pretty well when I was living in Marlborough and working in Bolton. 9-10" thumper for 9 hours or so on Thursday. Tracked the sunday snow/sleet storm that turned into another 9-10" snow. I recall you were on top of the mix line that sunday morning and posted radar images of the line moving south after precip rates increased. Then I believe another 10-12" from a norlun trough the following Thursday. I recall at least 2 and half feet on the ground after the thursday event. Hell-of-a week and a cold/snowy December that year.

nice Will, you can tell be the cut in the snow, sugar powder.

Oh for sure...that was a cold storm and the stuff was like baking powder falling from the sky. It was like someone opened a box of arm and hammer and we had quarter mile vis of that stuff for 6 hours.

I think almost the whole storm we had temps of like 18F....very cold storm for Dec 13th.

Oh for sure...that was a cold storm and the stuff was like baking powder falling from the sky. It was like someone opened a box of arm and hammer and we had quarter mile vis of that stuff for 6 hours.

I think almost the whole storm we had temps of like 18F....very cold storm for Dec 13th.

I remember how crappy the snow growth was but there was so many of them it was piling up instantly. We had a similar period in the Jan 27th 11 storm where for hours it was sugar. I still am amazed how deep those snows get, no air space at all either.

The funniest thing about this storm was that it wasn't anything notable in terms of snowfall....we've had countless other 8-10" events in the past 5-6 winters, but the timing just made this one a brutal nightmare for traffic. The warnings were there too...the AFD, the local news guys all said this would come in like a wall around lunch time. Still, biggest traffic disaster in years.

Archived