CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Potential Storm 11/7-11/8

Snow_Miser

• Replies 951
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking less likely we see any decent snow with this in the nyc metro area. Unless the storm goes way east but that's unlikely. Strong winds and rain will still be a problem

I think the models are still having problems with the storm; there was a large shift in track from the 12z GFS which had it southeast of Montauk and more of a snow threat versus the 18z which was more of a coastal hugger. I wouldn't count anything out in the NW suburbs compared to NYC proper which almost never receives accumulating snow in early November. I don't like that the models want to weaken the low, however. The weakening is also more noticeable on the GFS than the 12z ECM so there is disagreement there as well. Lots of time on this one but I would of course favor climo which says snow stays north and west in early November.

4l4svo.jpg

You have to take into account, though, that a lot of those winds would not mix down. We're not talking about a tropical system with surface pressures of 940-950mb in the area like Sandy. However, a 980mb Nor'easter with a 1025-1030mb high to the north would still produce a windy day...GFS shows 10m winds around 25kts at 96 hours from the storm.

Problem is you would be able to mix some of the winds down. The inversion is at 900 mb and the winds below that are strong enough to produce wind gusts up to or over 50 mph.

121103230155.gif

You have to take into account, though, that a lot of those winds would not mix down. We're not talking about a tropical system with surface pressures of 940-950mb in the area like Sandy. However, a 980mb Nor'easter with a 1025-1030mb high to the north would still produce a windy day...GFS shows 10m winds around 25kts at 96 hours from the storm.

Not to mention we'd probably see more precip with this system aiding the mixing of stronger winds. We REALLY don't need this right now.

It definitely looks like a messy situation with heavy rain and winds near 50mph in some of the recovering areas, in addition to the possibility of sleet and snow in the NW suburbs. Some of the models really want to bomb the storm...GFS is near 980mb, GGEM has it at 968mb. I remember some of the 60+ mph wind gusts we had from the Boxing Day Blizzard, so of course it's not unusual to see high winds here during a non-tropical event. Mixing could vary based on the timing of precipitation, and we could still see the models trend towards a lesser pressure gradient. Certainly worrying though...

It definitely looks like a messy situation with heavy rain and winds near 50mph in some of the recovering areas, in addition to the possibility of sleet and snow in the NW suburbs. Some of the models really want to bomb the storm...GFS is near 980mb, GGEM has it at 968mb. I remember some of the 60+ mph wind gusts we had from the Boxing Day Blizzard, so of course it's not unusual to see high winds here during a non-tropical event. Mixing could vary based on the timing of precipitation, and we could still see the models trend towards a lesser pressure gradient. Certainly worrying though...

I had thought I'd seen the strongest winds ever during that storm (until sandy), windows were rattling. This is pretty worrysome. 980mb would be bad enough nevermind 968!! Is the blocking gone? Can it go OTS? I haven't been paying attention to models since sandy, but I'm going to start now.

I had thought I'd seen the strongest winds ever during that storm (until sandy), windows were rattling. This is pretty worrysome. 980mb would be bad enough nevermind 968!! Is the blocking gone? Can it go OTS? I haven't been paying attention to models since sandy, but I'm going to start now.

There's still a decent amount of blocking in the form of a Hudson Bay block/west based -NAO, although not as much as for Sandy. I guess if we saw a missed phase it could go out to sea but the pattern looks good for a Nor'easter...here's height anomalies at 96 on the GFS:

There's still a decent amount of blocking in the form of a Hudson Bay block/west based -NAO, although not as much as for Sandy. I guess if we saw a missed phase it could go out to sea but the pattern looks good for a Nor'easter...here's height anomalies at 96 on the GFS:

Yeah everything im seeing points towards another strong east coast storm and the signals have been there a while now. We usually come out of a -NAO cycle with a big storm. After this the pattern looks much calmer and warmer, so this could be the pattern changer..

Yes, he did and even worse, he said the flood waters would not rise as fast also because it was not a Hurricane, it was only a Nor'easter

Truthfully, and if this chart is accurate, then nor'easters do not produce the same surge as tropical systems. I think we all know that is likely true 98% of the time. This is a surge chart for RI, but likely holds for NYC/LI as well. Maybe he meant surge and not "rise as fast"?? He's an idiot, so who knows.

NE_Storm_Surges.png

What I'm thinking is that this next storm will have a 2-3 foot surge, but will be largely mitigated by the tide cycle. That isn't to say that no additional erosion or flooding won't occur, but IMHO, only the most precarious beaches see impacts from this nor'easter due to SURGE. Winds are another matter entirely, and I could certainly see the greatest impact being some additional wind damage in conjunction with a stoppage in line repairs due to high winds. At least that's how I see this storm shaping up.

On November 6, 1953 a large coastal storm impacted the area...9 inches of snow at Bridgeton, NJ and 4.2 inches at Trenton. Winds peaked at 69 mph out of the northeast at Atlantic City.

<Bridgeton is down by Delaware Bay for the uninitiated>

It would not be wise to expect a favorable airmass for frozen precipitation this time of year away from the high elevations and far interior. Two or three weeks from now would be a different story.

Despite the low tide I think the wind, rain, etc will once again be the story if this system does develop like some of the stronger models are hinting at. We're looking at near 70kt 925mb winds in some spots if that's the case.

It would not be wise to expect a favorable airmass for frozen precipitation this time of year away from the high elevations and far interior. Two or three weeks from now would be a different story.

I agree with this, although the forecast guidance has been waffling pretty considerably with the temperatures in the area, which indicates to me that they still do not have a good grasp on the situation, and there are still quite a bit of possibilities on the table, temperature wise. I think that the NW Burbs into NW NJ have a shot at some initial frozen precipitation in the beginning before changing over to rain.

Though, as you said, since it is early November, it is safer when forecasting to forecast on the conservative side for any chances of frozen precipitation.

Archived