joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh/Western Pa Weather

north pgh

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still don't like how close that 0C line is to us. I hate to continue to be negative but I just have a bad feeling about this system not panning out for us. I feel like I'm going to be disappointed, just like how I was with today's "storm"

Yeah, thats kinda what my previous post was getting at. ( apologies for the sloppy writing )

With these borderline temp storms, I draw a line starting at the PA/OH border, along US 422 SE to US 119, then along 119 S to the WV line.

Everywhere south and west of those two lines will likely see rain at some point.

Yeah, thats kinda what my previous post was getting at. ( apologies for the sloppy writing )

With these borderline temp storms, I draw a line starting at the PA/OH border, along US 422 SE to US 119, then along 119 S to the WV line.

Everywhere south and west of those two lines will likely see rain at some point.

This is looking good. Especially hours 36-48.

http://collaboration.cmc.ec.gc.ca/cmc/cmdn/pcpn_type/pcpn_type_gem_reg.html

0z GFS and NAM suggest PIT should receive snow until mid-late afternoon on Wednesday, then PIT probably goes over to sleet/ZR. Can't do much about the warm air advection going on above 850 mb.

A caveat is that strong upward vertical motion could offset/overwhelm the warm air advection and perhaps yield a later changeover time. If the 0z GFS is right, UVM is weak after 18z Wed. and so 850-700 mb temps should rise without much trouble due to the WAA present. If the 0z NAM is right, UVM is stronger Wed. afternoon and thus 850-700 mb temps may be held down enough to prolong the snow at PIT.

Viewed some soundings from the 0z GFS and NAM -- looks like a classic case of the warm layer showing up above 850 mb -- typically a sleet profile. The soundings highlight the importance of viewing more than one level/layer in the atmosphere -- in this case, the 850 mb 0C line provides hints of the lower tropospheric temperature profile but not the whole story.

http://vortex.plymou...el&size=640x480

Here's to a nice thump Wednesday morning and early afternoon :snowman:

Bringing my map over from the C-PA thread. Euro does keep you guys snow as it has for most of the last few runs. Compromising with what the 0z GFS and NAM had though leads me to continue to expect some mixing in the Pittsburgh area and for the usual SW PA hole. However, I didn't leave my 6 inch line too far from town and I certainly could see ending up having more snow into SW PA.

post-1507-0-61037500-1356421137_thumb.gi

0z GFS and NAM suggest PIT should receive snow until mid-late afternoon on Wednesday, then PIT probably goes over to sleet/ZR. Can't do much about the warm air advection going on above 850 mb.

A caveat is that strong upward vertical motion could offset/overwhelm the warm air advection and perhaps yield a later changeover time. If the 0z GFS is right, UVM is weak after 18z Wed. and so 850-700 mb temps should rise without much trouble due to the WAA present. If the 0z NAM is right, UVM is stronger Wed. afternoon and thus 850-700 mb temps may be held down enough to prolong the snow at PIT.

Viewed some soundings from the 0z GFS and NAM -- looks like a classic case of the warm layer showing up above 850 mb -- typically a sleet profile. The soundings highlight the importance of viewing more than one level/layer in the atmosphere -- in this case, the 850 mb 0C line provides hints of the lower tropospheric temperature profile but not the whole story.

http://vortex.plymou...el&size=640x480

Here's to a nice thump Wednesday morning and early afternoon :snowman:

Merry Christmas Everyone!

I know your post was made prior to the 6z runs but both the NAM and GFS look to keep us colder and seem to have a faster transfer which should be helpful to us. I am feeling a bit more optimistic (of at least some sort of frozen be it sleet, zr or snow will prevail over plain rain) that we will see less of that SWPA screw zone effect with this storm, especially if we get the favorable track the 6z GFS / NAM show. The 700 low is pretty close to us though... Hopefully the UVM will be more robust as you discuss on the NAM and overwhelm the WAA during the high qpf frames.

Still looks to me like there's going to be a wide range of amounts in our area from south to north. Northern Allegheny County and north may see 8 or 10 inches. Southern Allegheny may see half that. Even less in Washington County. I'm still concerned about the warm tongue though cutting amounts down some, especially in my neck of the woods and south. My current NWS forecast is for 3 to 7 and they're currently saying all snow. Wouldn't surprise me if I still at least see some mixing initially based on past history of these types of storms.

Still looks to me like there's going to be a wide range of amounts in our area from south to north. Northern Allegheny County and north may see 8 or 10 inches. Southern Allegheny may see half that. Even less in Washington County. I'm still concerned about the warm tongue though cutting amounts down some, especially in my neck of the woods and south. My current NWS forecast is for 3 to 7 and they're currently saying all snow. Wouldn't surprise me if I still at least see some mixing initially based on past history of these types of storms.

What's interesting is that TWC local forecast is going hard with the WAA, forecasting mostly ZR and RN.

Also no scrolling info at the bottom of the TV, backing up the WSWarning from the NWS.

This tells me TWC doesn't agree with the NWS forecast.

So IMHO, TWC is saying we'll acknowledge the WSW, but that's about it, we're doin' our own thing.

I am driving up to Wellsville, NY tomorrow and they are expecting 8-16 inches.I hope you guys down here get all snow and no mixing. I will be checking in on here to see how the Pittsburgh area is doing. I will put some updates on here from my location as well if anyone cares. I won't rub it in. Is it possible to send pictures via your phone onto this board or do they have to be from a computer? I will probably only be using my phone for posting and pictures.

I am driving up to Wellsville, NY tomorrow and they are expecting 8-16 inches.I hope you guys down here get all snow and no mixing. I will be checking in on here to see how the Pittsburgh area is doing. I will put some updates on here from my location as well if anyone cares. I won't rub it in. Is it possible to send pictures via your phone onto this board or do they have to be from a computer? I will probably only be using my phone for posting and pictures.

Sure, give us some updates when you can. I'll just be mad at you if you see a foot and I see 2 inches! lol I've posted pictures on here before through tapatalk. I don't know if you have that on your phone or not. I have an android phone so I downloaded it from the market. That's what I use to post on here when I'm not home, which a lot of the time I'm not.

One more interesting thought on this storm, is along with the speed of a secondary development, how far south and west does it develop.

Because if close enough, and strong enough, the secondary could possibly prolong the steady snow Wed night, with the ULL progged to be decently neg. tilted.

Yep, was thinking the same thing. That is our perfect set up for a huge storm...I think Feb 2010 basically did that. We got the front end snows from the primary, and it transferred right at the perfect time for us to stay in the deform band for hours with the secondary. That actually looks to happen in OH this time, as I think someone there may see 20 inches out towards Columbus, and we will probably get dry slotted, but I feel pretty good that Metro sees 6-9 inches, more north and west. Also, if you remember that storm, most of our snow came between about 5PM and 7AM, in a 14 hour period...very intense snow rates in that one, which I believe we could match here but for a shorter time period.

BTW, I purposely stayed at my folks house tonight...didn't feel like dealing with Emsworth and being right next to the river. Being in West View, even only a couple 100 feet up makes a huge difference, lol.

NWS is basically only calling for 2-4 in my area today while I noticed that Cranberry, just north of the county border, is calling for 6-12 total. Like I said, wide range of amounts. The mixing will probably get to me at some point which will cut my totals down a good bit. Plus, the possibly of being dry slotted is there as well. Same old same old for me, if it turns out this way.

NWS is basically only calling for 2-4 in my area today while I noticed that Cranberry, just north of the county border, is calling for 6-12 total. Like I said, wide range of amounts. The mixing will probably get to me at some point which will cut my totals down a good bit. Plus, the possibly of being dry slotted is there as well. Same old same old for me, if it turns out this way.

That warm tongue is already getting very close. Not like our prospects in BP.

From a couple of things I have read.....Butler and Indiana both being mentioned and only one road in common for them....it seems like 422 is going to be a dividing line for one of those ranges.

Hoping for the 4-8 or more that NWS has us in up here in Armstrong.......although maybe going into work down in Westmoreland for a little bit this morning.

Archived