• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential major phasing event this weekend

forkyfork

Except that this an a-climatological situation.

hey bill, I guess its too far out to say if it is or isn't a climo situation. I mean I understand we have pretty impresive blocking modeled, but that won't matter much if the incoming trough is as flat and broad as the GFS is showing. Guess we are going to see many many different solutions until the pac energy gets more resolved.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 18z GEFS and the Euro ENS are very close with the trough in the East at 168 hrs.

The main difference between the two is that the ECMWF ENS have a more amplified ridge in the west, whereas the GFS ENS has more of a zonal flow in the west. That's probably making the difference in outcome of the system with the GEFS and the ECM ENS.

I remember March of 1993. Models weren't very sophisticated as they are now and a triple phase was the consensus about 5 days out. There was a lot of media buzz about it then.

For a sub 940mb hybrid system at that location it would be historic and would probably rival some of the strongest Atlantic hybrid storms ever recorded.

The trouble is in March of 1993 there was complete model consensus. Right now there isn't any real model consensus and the outliers are producing some really strange anomalies. I've seen some fantasy solutions at long range but this takes the cake for this kind of situation.

The first person to mention that storm was Nick Gregory and that was seven days beforehand.

250mb jet streak is noticeably faster this run over the Western Plains but that shortwave over the Central US is still a strung out piece of crap at 90 hours. The pattern on the GFS just doesn't look amplified enough to support these major bomb-tastic phase solutions...although comparatively this run does look "better" than the 12 or 18z runs.

00z GFS has a noticibly more amplified pattern, I'm curious to see how this affects Sandy

There is nothing more amplified about the pattern even at 84 hours compared to the 12z run. The ridge in the East Pacific is less amplified, the trough in the Central US is less energetic and less amplified. The only piece that's arguable more amplified is the ridge axis from Northern New England into Eastern Canada, and that's only appearing more amplified because the ULL in the Northwest Atlantic is farther south and west and the trough over Central Canada a bit stronger.

There is nothing more amplified about the pattern even at 84 hours compared to the 12z run. The ridge in the East Pacific is less amplified, the trough in the Central US is less energetic and less amplified. The only piece that's arguable more amplified is the ridge axis from Northern New England into Eastern Canada, and that's only appearing more amplified because the ULL in the Northwest Atlantic is farther south and west and the trough over Central Canada a bit stronger.

correct, the trough is broad and flat and Sandy has an easy escape route to the ENE under the big north atlantic low

Yeah that trough is not gonna get it done.

The only good sign I see is that it might be trying to catch on to the last-second shortwave that the GGEM was developing ..which rips south and east from the Pac into the Central US. You can start to see it on the GFS now at 130hrs over the Plains.

If that feature is stronger it could surge southeast and capture the system, provided the TC isn't thousands of miles to the northeast by then.

The only good sign I see is that it might be trying to catch on to the last-second shortwave that the GGEM was developing ..which rips south and east from the Pac into the Central US. You can start to see it on the GFS now at 130hrs over the Plains.

If that feature is stronger it could surge southeast and capture the system, provided the TC isn't thousands of miles to the northeast by then.

Yeah that is much more pronounced this run, you can definitely see it at 138. Euro has that second s/w ripping down as well.

Sandy still looks to try and escape. Not much difference at the surface with the TC through 102 hours.

Yeah as Earthlight was saying the pattern overall is not any better. Imo the trough in the central US is digging in a bit more than the last run but is nowhere near enough to pull the system towards the EC. Another ots run.

Feature i'm talking about is easily visible now at 138-144. But the TC is very far east by that point.

Yes and I believe the EC keyed in on the 2nd s/w as well. You can see how important a difference in speed (ie slower) would have on the evolution of this storm threat. Had sandy been 250 miles SW and or some combination of that 2nd s/w coming in stronger/faster than expected a capture is still very much within the realm of possibilities. There are a lot of ifs here but when you have such complex interaction between a block, 1 or 2 distinct s/w's and a tropical system you have to look at the whole picture. Still believe this has a low probability of becoming a major impact to us in the tri-state area but there is still much to iron out.

Edit: And I didn't even mention what earthlight just highlighted which is that this could easily meander further west than what the GFS depicts (a la GEM/EC)

You could easily argue that this run was a step towards the euro.

agreed--and don't forget we often see this with winter storms. Sometimes what was initially thought to be a phasing s/w speeds up and de-amplifies heights ahead of a southern stream disturbance, making it much less likely (or even impossible) for it to turn up the coast. This can occur in any combination, a kicker becomes the major player, a kicker slows down or is modeled too strong and doesn't end up having much of an impact. These are all important factors storm formation, especially in winter. Here it plays a HUGE role because it is clear now that the initial trough just isn't amplified or negatively tilted enough to exert much of an effect on sandy. That 2nd s/w seems like its the dealbreaker.

Archived