• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Vote on the 1980-2012 runners up (sans 2009-10 of course)

Deck Pic

Pick one, yo  

14 members have voted

1. 1. pick an answer to the question

• January 1982, Snowstorm, Cold (10/-5) and Air Florida
    • March 8 and 29, 1984 snow events
    • January 85 Cold
    • February 22, 1987 wet snow bomb
    • Feb 4, 1995 KU
    • February 1996 snow/cold
    • 97-98 Mega Nino
    • March 9 and 14th, 1999 snowstorms
    • January 1999 ice-a-thon
    • January 15-30th 2000 Block/Split flow fest incl reverse bust
    • Dec 2000 cold
    • Fran
    • Floyd
    • 12/5/2002 6-10" kickoff
    • January 25-27, 2004 snow, ice, sleet, snow fest
    • February 20-March 10 2005 snow/block-a-thon
    • 11/23-12/15/05 monster cold/snow pattern
    • 2/11/06
    • Feb 2007, cold, snow, sleet
    • 1/26/11 bomb

Went with '82.

I have never hated an 8"+ storm more than 2/11/06

What year was the Jan 25-27?

2004...one of my favorite events..was supposed to be suppressed and came up the coast as usual..though virga forever

Was at Caps-Flyers game when it started.....Snow all evening and overnight with temps in the mid teens.....maybe 4-5"....then changed to freezing rain/drizzle next morning and continued all day, all night and into the next day nonstop.....temps slowly climbed into the 20s....switched back to sleet then snow for a few hours that evening then stopped....48 hour event with no lull.....sidewalks and streets downtown crusted and almost unwalkable...when it switched back Tuesday night became a nightmare for those who were working....I recorded 6" for the event....I think DCA was around 5" or slightly more....

2004...one of my favorite events..was supposed to be suppressed and came up the coast as usual..though virga forever

Was at Caps-Flyers game when it started.....Snow all evening and overnight with temps in the mid teens.....maybe 4-5"....then changed to freezing rain/drizzle next morning and continued all day, all night and into the next day nonstop.....temps slowly climbed into the 20s....switched back to sleet then snow for a few hours that evening then stopped....48 hour event with no lull.....sidewalks and streets downtown crusted and almost unwalkable...when it switched back Tuesday night became a nightmare for those who were working....I recorded 6" for the event....I think DCA was around 5" or slightly more....

Fun storm, but too bad winter pretty much ended after that.

Feb 22, 87 hands down.(new castle, DE)

Had to rake leaves with a WsWatch in place-- initial forecast was plane up to 8 inches when upgrade to warning. Temp dropped from mid 40s to mid 30's and down to freezing when snow started and eventually down to freezing. Funny thing is that the NWS dropped expectations to 4-5 inches on the forecast. It was the only time I recall an " up to 8" without a bottom number and then the 4-5 inches. as a number too.

My Dad actually sent me to bed around 11 thinking we'd have school because the grass was covered but nothing on the road-- I was up an hour or two later in the good stuff and up the rest of the night. We only got Monday off school-- it was a fast melter too.

I lived literally a mile from ILG-- they reported 14.4. I remember thinking it was ironic. We had 14.4 on sidewalk just as it ended but the pool deck and neighbors picnic table was 17.

Unlike the previous poll, I will vote on this one, as it has a clear winner to me- the January 2000 snowstorm. For the following reasons:

-The 14.9 inches at BWI is still a top 15 snowfall

-It was a complete surprise to forecasters

-It occurred under an extremely unfavorable pattern (strong La Nina, +AO/+NAO)

-It occurred in a winter that was generally warm and snowless for much of the nation

-It still holds a strong influence in all winter weather discussions: go to any weather board in winter, where a complete hopeless storm is being discussed, and some weenie wishcaster at some point will ALWAYS throw out "remember January 2000!" into the conversation. And you know, despite the odds, that he or she may end up being right...

Also, I'm glad Feb. 1995 got on the list. For some reason, I still remember that one here as a kid. That's still a daily snowfall record for Feb. 4. at BWI.

Unlike the previous poll, I will vote on this one, as it has a clear winner to me- the January 2000 snowstorm. For the following reasons:

-The 14.9 inches at BWI is still a top 15 snowfall

-It was a complete surprise to forecasters

-It occurred under an extremely unfavorable pattern (strong La Nina, +AO/+NAO)

-It occurred in a winter that was generally warm and snowless for much of the nation

-It still holds a strong influence in all winter weather discussions: go to any weather board in winter, where a complete hopeless storm is being discussed, and some weenie wishcaster at some point will ALWAYS throw out "remember January 2000!" into the conversation. And you know, despite the odds, that he or she may end up being right...

Jan 2000 was amazing and I wish I remembered it a bit better, I was 9 and a half.

But one correction, the NAO was negative when it happened........the AO was slightly + but just coming out of negative.

Jan 2000 was amazing and I wish I remembered it a bit better, I was 9 and a half.

But one correction, the NAO was negative when it happened........the AO was slightly + but just coming out of negative.

I pulled the NAO numbers from this page:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/pna/norm.nao.monthly.b5001.current.ascii.table

Though I hadn't considered that the number there was the monthly average, so it could've been negative during the time of the storm.

I pulled the NAO numbers from this page:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/pna/norm.nao.monthly.b5001.current.ascii.table

Though I hadn't considered that the number there was the monthly average, so it could've been negative during the time of the storm.

It wasn't an ideal Atlantic pattern but there was an east based block.

Archived