• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2012 Drought Thread

MN Transplant

Anyone remember that training event we had a few years back where a line of heavy rain squalls trained over DC for like 24 hours? I recall places got like up to 9 inches of rain. How can we get one of those events again?

June 2006? There have been a few but I"m assuming this is what you are talking about. I think a few spots got over 9 actually.

That came with a stalled frontal boundary.

June 2006? There have been a few but I"m assuming this is what you are talking about. I think a few spots got over 9 actually.

That came with a stalled frontal boundary.

That was one. Of course, TS Lee crushed many of us last year. Over 10" in one day IMBY. It rained a few inches during the day while I was at work, then it positively dumped on on us for a few hours starting at about 5:00 pm or so. I can't remember exactly, but we got upwards of 6-7" of rain in about three or four hours. Unbelieveable amounts of rain in a very short time. Neat to experience, but not fun for me as a homeowner.

• 3 weeks later...

it's been like this almost every year i've been here. do we ever not have a drought in the summer? ;)

2012 was in the lowest 20% of summers for precip (25th driest), but it is when you add it to the spring and earlier deficits it starts to get a little more impressive.

7th driest Spring/Summer combo

6th driest YTD through August

2012 was in the lowest 20% of summers for precip (25th driest), but it is when you add it to the spring and earlier deficits it starts to get a little more impressive.

7th driest Spring/Summer combo

6th driest YTD through August

I didn't mean "like this" as in "exactly like now"... more that by late summer we often seem to be playing with drought until some tropical remnants come along.

Archived