• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer 2012: Upstate NY

from what ive been hesring a weak to mod nino is expected by winter time.If we did see a weak nino and saw above average snow, it would seem like the snowiest year in decades since last winter was so ****ty. Id be happy with 100" . Id be thrilled if I got anything over 120"

there's a weakening correlation with ENSO state near the lakes since our winter snowfall is driven by mesoscale les events. But, some of our best winters are definitely weak ninos...76-77 and 77-78 both were.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like BUFs temps arnt affected as greatly as ART by nino. Also is there any precip/snow correlation charts like the temp chart for nino?

Yeah, that makes sense...Nino affects areas farther east towards New England than around here. Strong Nino is horrible for just about everyone. No, but I probably could make one in the coming days. I don't think the correlation will be all that high.

Seems like BUFs temps arnt affected as greatly as ART by nino. Also is there any precip/snow correlation charts like the temp chart for nino?

Yeah, that makes sense...Nino affects areas farther east towards New England than around here. Strong Nino is horrible for just about everyone. No, but I probably could make one in the coming days. I don't think the correlation will be all that high.

For the seven weak Nino events since 1950, BUF has averaged 124". If you throw out the high and low totals (83.0" in 1951-1952 and 199.4" in 1976-1977), you still get 118".

Small data set, unfortunately.

And thats for BUF, here in OP I average more than BUF but I'd be more than happy with BUFs 118-124". After last winter I can't even picture what a winter over 100" would be like lol. Landed up with a measly 36" last winter.

12z euro continues the torch theme for Friday. upper 90s to low 100s from the Niagara Peninsula to Niagara Falls to out just past ROC. Low to mid 90s for everyone not within a few miles of the lake. Friday evening/overnight could get pretty interesting if we can manage to break the cap. Should lots of instability available as a cold front and a shortwave drop out of the northwest from Canada.

12z euro continues the torch theme for Friday. upper 90s to low 100s from the Niagara Peninsula to Niagara Falls to out just past ROC. Low to mid 90s for everyone not within a few miles of the lake. Friday evening/overnight could get pretty interesting if we can manage to break the cap. Should lots of instability available as a cold front and a shortwave drop out of the northwest from Canada.

That's some incredible heat. I really do wish KBUF breaks 100 once in my lifetime just to say we hit 100. haha!

If it wasn't for the proximity to Lake Erie we would of hit it many times.

Last night's meager attempt at an MCS was a bust here as we had a few bouts of drizzle/very light showers. No sign it even rained now as my parched clay soil is cracked etc. all over.

Moderately humid today and looking at mid/upper 80's later.

58 days until Met. Autumn!

if were gonna be that hot I sure hope that we hit 100 at KBUF just so we can say it hit 100 here. wont happen though.

Thank goodness for that cap tonight or it would prob be a very stormy night as i got a dew of 72 here and capes reached 3000 j/kg according to the NWS, seems like quite a recipe for storms but i guess that cap really kept the lid on the storms tonight.

3500 MLCAPE on the 00z BUF sounding. Extremely rare for these parts. No lift, though.

Kind of an interesting trend...both the nam and the gfs want to maintain 280 surface flow at BUF on Friday. The Euro, and NAM MOS still have lake breezes but it is weak, only about 10 kt. Looks like we won't be able to pop on Friday evening...crazy dry air advecting in the low-levels from the WNW. However, the front may hang up a bit on Saturday, setting the stage for severe chances.

NWS BUF AFD... ill take it ;)

SUNDAY NIGHT WILL BE ON THE COOL SIDE...BUT COMFORTABLE AS STARLIT

SKIES WILL ALLOW TEMPS TO DROP OFF INTO THE 50S FOR THE MAJORITY OF

THE REGION. THE ONLY POTENTIAL FLY IN THE OINTMENT WILL BE THE

SOMEWHAT CHILLY H85 TEMPS OF 10C. THESE WOULD BE POTENTIALLY LOW

ENOUGH TO ALLOW FOR A WEAK LAKE RESPONSE...IE. SOME LK GENERATED

CLOUD COVER. IF THIS CAME TO FRUITION...THE FAVORED AREAS FOR SOME

LAKE CLOUDS BY EARLY MONDAY MORNING WOULD BE FROM ABOUT ROCHESTER TO

THE INTERIOR FINGER LAKES REGION.

&&

Archived