Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
June 2012 Severe Weather/Convection Discussion

earthlight

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

from the looks of the spc convective outlook for tommorow, does not look too promising as of right now. only risk area is around DC metro area for tommorow.

DC metro? The slight risk for tomorrow is near northern New York/VT with a 5% risk extending down to just north of NYC. Tomorrow's severe risk will still be lower here than to the north. That doesn't rule out isolated storms with locally strong/severe cells though, which in my opinion is as far as activity tomorrow should get in the area.

It will be interesting to see if some convection can develop on Saturday afternoon and evening as well. The NAM has some very weak lowered heights over Southern New England in response to a shortwave to our north. The window is small, as mid level heights are rising again by Sunday morning. But the SPC SREF has 40-50+ kts of 0-6km bulk shear which could support organized storms. The NAM also has what looks like some convection along the periphery of the building mid level ridge at 00z Sunday, moving all the way from the International Border in ND/WI into the Northeast.

The SPC has outlined our area in a 5%/See Text for Saturday evening

..UPPER MID-ATLANTIC

GUIDANCE IS HIGHLY CONSISTENT THAT LOW-LEVEL WAA WILL RESULT IN

CONVECTION OVER THE GREAT LAKES/SRN ONTARIO EARLY SAT DEVELOPING

SEWD ACROSS THE UPPER MID-ATLANTIC. ALTHOUGH FAVORABLY TIMED WITH

THE DIURNAL HEATING CYCLE...INSTABILITY MAY REMAIN MODEST WITH WEAK

MID-LEVEL LAPSE RATES AND ONLY 50S SURFACE DEW POINTS.

STILL...MODERATELY STRONG DEEP LAYER NWLYS MAY BE SUFFICIENT FOR A

CORRIDOR OF LOCALLY DAMAGING WINDS/MARGINAL HAIL ALONG A

NW/SE-ORIENTED QUASI-STATIONARY FRONT.

..GRAMS.. 06/08/2012

day2.prob.gif

Still See Text & 5% from SPC on Saturday. But sounds more interesting than before:

...SRN AND WRN NY/PA/NJ...

NORTHWEST FLOW WILL BE IN PLACE ACROSS THE NERN STATES SATURDAY AS A

SUBTLE UPPER-LEVEL DISTURBANCE APPROACHES THE REGION FROM THE

NORTHWEST. AHEAD OF THE DISTURBANCE...A NARROW AXIS OF MODERATE

INSTABILITY IS FORECAST BY AFTERNOON EXTENDING FROM LAKE ONTARIO

SEWD ACROSS WRN NY INTO NE PA. THE MODELS DEVELOP THUNDERSTORMS

ALONG THIS AXIS OF INSTABILITY WITH CONVECTION PERSISTING INTO THE

EARLY EVENING. FORECAST SOUNDINGS AT BINGHAMTON AT 21Z SHOW MLCAPE

VALUES OF 750 TO 1000 J/KG WITH 0-6 KM SHEAR VALUES OF 35 TO 40 KT

SUGGESTING THE ENVIRONMENT MAY SUPPORT ROTATING STORMS WITH HAIL

POTENTIAL. UNIDIRECTIONAL WLY FLOW SHOULD ALSO BE FAVORABLE FOR

STRONG GUSTY WINDS. HOWEVER...THE SEVERE THREAT IS EXPECTED TO BE

CONFINED TO A NARROW AXIS OF INSTABILITY AND UNCERTAINTY STILL

EXISTS CONCERNING THE MAGNITUDE AND SPATIAL LOCATION OF THE GREATEST

SEVERE THREAT.

^ Agreed and my interest was piqued as soon as I saw the 40-50kts of effective shear yesterday on the SREF. Whenever you're dealing with that type of shear and some instability near a frontal boundary, it's time to pay attention.

But I'm wondering what type of clouds/etc we could be dealing with before hand because the front will be near the area to begin with.

When you glance at the SPC WRF you can see it develops a huge updraft just south of the front near the instability..I would imagine there could be a wind and tornado threat if that does happen.

^ Agreed and my interest was piqued as soon as I saw the 40-50kts of effective shear yesterday on the SREF. Whenever you're dealing with that type of shear and some instability near a frontal boundary, it's time to pay attention.

But I'm wondering what type of clouds/etc we could be dealing with before hand because the front will be near the area to begin with.

When you glance at the SPC WRF you can see it develops a huge updraft just south of the front near the instability..I would imagine there could be a wind and tornado threat if that does happen.

:stun:

Archived