Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Fifty-six years of Tornado tracks - map

Probably been posted already, and will be posted 10 times more today but:

Fifty-six years of Tornado tracks - map

http://uxblog.idvsolutions.com/2012/05/tornado-tracks.html

Got this data from NOAA via the spectacular Data.gov. It tracks 56 years of tornado paths along with a host of attribute information. Here, the tracks are categorized by their F-Scale (which isn't the latest and greatest means but good enough for a hack like me), where brighter strokes represent more violent storms.

The Map, LARGE!!!!

http://visually.visually.netdna-cdn.com/TornadoTracks_4fbd458d255c5.jpg

Interesting but I think there is a goof unless a tornado really did travel (south to north?) 75 miles through the CT River valley of VT.

Hard to say - you can go to tornadohistoryproject.com and search VT tornadoes

I will say, since I have worked with the SPC data (which is what this guy used to make this map) there are a lot of errors within their lat/long coordinates, particularly their track information, starting points, and ending points.

Hard to say - you can go to tornadohistoryproject.com and search VT tornadoes

I will say, since I have worked with the SPC data (which is what this guy used to make this map) there are a lot of errors within their lat/long coordinates, particularly their track information, starting points, and ending points.

The long track in Vermont doesn't show up at tornadohistoryproject.com

Its obvious something is wrong with that particular track - the information on THP has it listed as being only 8 miles long, but when measured out its closer to 70 miles (from start to finish).

Again, SPC seems to have a lot of issues with their lat/long coordinates

I'm suspicious that this map doesn't include all tornadoes because I see not more than perhaps one moving W or NW from the ocean in the coastal sections just east of Savannah. I recall at least a few low intensity tornadoes in recent years doing just that as the result of tropical cyclones. Maybe it is hard to see due to the way the map is presented.

It shows quite well how hard N and C MS as well as N AL have been hit.

I'm suspicious that this map doesn't include all tornadoes because I see not more than perhaps one moving W or NW from the ocean in the coastal sections just east of Savannah. I recall at least a few low intensity tornadoes in recent years doing just that as the result of tropical cyclones. Maybe it is hard to see due to the way the map is presented.

It shows quite well how hard N and C MS as well as N AL have been hit.

Yeah I noticed a couple missing from our CWFA as well. All in all, its a decent general climo depiction.

http://www.tornadohi...o/20040813.33.1

I have an unobstructed view and was outside during that storm as it passed by 1 mile away. Saw nothing out of the ordinary and there was no tree damage where it crossed route 3. I would have assumed it was a bogus report if it wasn't for a single photo of a swirl crossing Lake Winnipesaukee.

Even F0 seems generous.

/csb

Archived