• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
SE PA/Mt. Holly severe threats..

NaoPos

As for the threat overall, I'm still conditionally optimistic. I can recall more warm front busts that busted south than busted north. I think Maryland is game but I'm not so sure we are up here (although this could change).

That said, those are good dynamics for a Plains set-up (well one in June anyway), let alone an EC one, with a 50-knot LLJ at 925 mb and 850 mb and good veering with height. Remember that backed surface flow is going to mean we get a wind off the ocean. Even with the ridiculously warm SSTs we have up here, that it still a potentially-stabilizing marine layer. Again this is another reason why central MD might make out better than SE PA.

I agree completely. I would also add Lancaster, Harrisburg, and York are in a prime spot as well...they typically do well in these types of setups and I think they probably get hammered pretty hard tomorrow around dinner time.

I'm not sold at all on Philly or NJ...I think the timing stinks for us and I think the wind trajectory is a bit too off the water to get us instability in the city and east. That said, could be a gusty round of thunder locally.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree completely. I would also add Lancaster, Harrisburg, and York are in a prime spot as well...they typically do well in these types of setups and I think they probably get hammered pretty hard tomorrow around dinner time.

I'm not sold at all on Philly or NJ...I think the timing stinks for us and I think the wind trajectory is a bit too off the water to get us instability in the city and east. That said, could be a gusty round of thunder locally.

yea the lower susq valley looks game on. This could be another event where we get a weakening line of storms coming in. You can see it on the models esp the nam. If this event had better timing, it could of been one of the better setups we have seen in a while. Will also depend how far north that wf gets to. The nam continues to slow the progresion of the front which isnt good for svr weather, crosses it around midnight..

I got a quick flutter in my heart.

Then I remembered yesterday.

lol from the discussion...: "perhaps even a tornado threat". i'm stocking up on glue to sniff so i'm ready for friday.

To be fair about the other day, the spc discussion about tornadoes was focusing on the NY Hudson Valley eastward.

Its been pretty well stated about the potential with this event overall and the probable limitations in our area for tomorrow.

I would also add Lancaster, Harrisburg, and York are in a prime spot as well

:lmao:

yea the lower susq valley looks game on.

:twister::lmao::twister:

Hazardous Weather Outlook

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA

241 AM EDT THU MAY 31 2012

PAZ035-036-056-057-059-063>066-010645-

FULTON-FRANKLIN-PERRY-DAUPHIN-LEBANON-CUMBERLAND-ADAMS-YORK-

LANCASTER-

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA.

.DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...FRIDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY.

THERE IS A SLIGHT RISK OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS FRIDAY AFTERNOON

AND EVENING. STORMS WILL LIKELY CONTAIN HEAVY DOWNPOURS WITH

INTENSE RAINFALL RATES...POSSIBLY RESULTING IN LOCALIZED FLOODING.

DAMAGING WINDS AND LARGE HAIL WILL BE THE PRIMARY SEVERE THUNDERSTORM

HAZARDS. HOWEVER...THERE WILL BE AN ELEVATED CONDITIONAL THREAT

FOR ISOLATED TORNADOES.

.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

SPOTTER ACTIVATION IS LIKELY ON FRIDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING.

From 1AM SPC outlook

SOME SUPERCELLS...INCLUDING A TORNADO

THREAT...COULD OCCUR MAINLY ACROSS VA/DELMARVA REGION INTO SOUTHERN

PA/NJ PROVIDED 1/ SUFFICIENT DESTABILIZATION OCCURS NEAR THE WARM

FRONT AND 2/ SEMI-DISCRETE DEVELOPMENT OCCURS AHEAD OF THE COLD

FRONT WHERE A LINEAR MODE SHOULD BE MORE DOMINANT. SOMEWHAT HIGHER

PROBABILITIES/PERHAPS EVEN A CATEGORICAL MODERATE RISK MIGHT BE

WARRANTED IN SUBSEQUENT CONVECTIVE OUTLOOKS.

:lmao:

:twister::lmao::twister:

Hazardous Weather Outlook

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA

PAZ035-036-056-057-059-063>066-010645-

FULTON-FRANKLIN-PERRY-DAUPHIN-LEBANON-CUMBERLAND-ADAMS-YORK-

LANCASTER-

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA.

.DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...FRIDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY.

THERE IS A SLIGHT RISK OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS FRIDAY AFTERNOON

AND EVENING. STORMS WILL LIKELY CONTAIN HEAVY DOWNPOURS WITH

INTENSE RAINFALL RATES...POSSIBLY RESULTING IN LOCALIZED FLOODING.

DAMAGING WINDS AND LARGE HAIL WILL BE THE PRIMARY SEVERE THUNDERSTORM

HAZARDS. HOWEVER...THERE WILL BE AN ELEVATED CONDITIONAL THREAT

FOR ISOLATED TORNADOES.

.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

SPOTTER ACTIVATION IS LIKELY ON FRIDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING.

Good chance I'll be out your way come Friday afternoon.

Dr Forbes posted his initial TORCON forecast for Friday:

Friday, June 1

AL south - 2

DC - 4

DE - 4

FL panhandle - 2

GA east-central, south - 2

MD east - 4

MD central - 2 to 3

NC central, east - 2

NJ north - 2

NJ south - 3

PA southeast - 4

SC central, east - 2

VA north - 4

VA south-central, east - 2 to 3

Other areas - 1 or less

a 4 or higher in PA does not happen often at all

It does appear that the Friday system is looking more and more interesting, but I am not quite sold on a decent severe thunderstorm threat for our area. Despite rather impressive wind fields overspreading the area, the timing is what may be against us. It looks like the best ascent and wind fields arrive after 00z Saturday and the gist of the guidance has what instabilty develops lowering during the night. I see the new 00z NAM has a 925 mb jet of 40-50 knots moving across most of the area after 00z Saturday. The southeasterly low-level inflow may also allow lower clouds to arrive sooner, cutting off the surface based CAPE. This could be an event where a convective line develops to the west and then it turns into not having much lightning with it as it becomes more low-topped with an eastward extent. This could be maintained through the night despite lowering instability due to decent height falls and a strengthening wind field.

music to lee's ears

Even if you're obsessed with tornadoes, that doesn't mean you want to see one skipping through the Main Line or something. Anyone remember the PDS Tornado Watch for our area from around 10 years ago or so? I think it was a Saturday. Nothing happened, thankfully, but that's still the only time I remember truly thinking I might get to see a strong tornado. I remember typing in my zip code on the NWS site and there was a picture of a tornado for that day's weather, and the text said something like "Destructive tornadoes possible."

No one wants to see tornado's in population centers.

I'd love to see one in the middle of some farmland though. Plenty of that in my neck of the woods.

I would have to believe this is the thought of most people on the board when they talk about wanting torandoes.

Even if you're obsessed with tornadoes, that doesn't mean you want to see one skipping through the Main Line or something. Anyone remember the PDS Tornado Watch for our area from around 10 years ago or so? I think it was a Saturday. Nothing happened, thankfully, but that's still the only time I remember truly thinking I might get to see a strong tornado. I remember typing in my zip code on the NWS site and there was a picture of a tornado for that day's weather, and the text said something like "Destructive tornadoes possible."

I believe I recall hearing about the PDS watch on the news that day of course this is back when warning were by a whole county not by a storm and its path like now a days.

Looks to me despite the lack of Instability wind will be a threat for the area with storms due to high shear. Wild card will be how strong the storms are as they come into our area. And as stated in the NWS AFD if the storms can manage to pass the warm front where we are continuing to find very decent shear in place for storms to work with on the models it would support at least a marginal damaging wind threat . Obviously if the warm front ends up more north there would be a greater tornado Hail and wind threat could set up in the area.

With the topic of tornadoes being discussed lately, it should be

pointed out that today is the 14th anniversary of possibly the

strongest tornado to impact the Mt. Holly CWA since it became

an office. The Lyons F3 struck at 9:10 PM on May 31, 1998 and

did severe damage to the borough, among other areas along its

8.3 mile path. A tornado warning was issued 23 minutes before

the tornado touched down, and 33 minutes before it hit Lyons.

As a result, there were no fatalities and just seven injuries.

Fully prepared for a redux of tuesday night. 30% expanded more north and west and 15% to the north and east reduced to about slightly north of philly on the latest outlook. Anytime I'm on the edge of slight risk I just expect nothing imby.

Latest from SPC:

AN AREA OF STRONG HEIGHT FALLS...ON THE ORDER OF 60-90M...WILL

OVERSPREAD THE OH VALLEY DURING THE DAY FRIDAY AS SLIGHTLY NEGATIVE

TILTED UPPER TROUGH AXIS PROGRESSES TO A POSITION FROM LOWER

MI...ARCING SEWD TO SC BY 02/00Z. AN EXPANSIVE AREA OF LARGE SCALE

ASCENT IS EXPECTED TO OVERSPREAD THE REGION AHEAD OF THIS UPPER

DIFFLUENT TROUGH AND SHOULD PROVE SUPPORTIVE OF WIDESPREAD

CONVECTION ALONG ADVANCING COLD FRONT AS IT SURGES EWD.

THUNDERSTORMS SHOULD BE ONGOING EARLY IN THE PERIOD ALONG THE COLD

FRONT FROM OH...SWD INTO NRN GA. WHILE STRONG SHEAR WILL COINCIDE

WITH THIS ACTIVITY IN ALL LIKELIHOOD BROKEN LINEAR TSTM SEGMENTS

SHOULD BE MOSTLY NON-SEVERE...OR PERHAPS MARGINALLY SEVERE AT

DAYBREAK. MAIN LIMITING FACTOR FOR SEVERE EARLY IN THE PERIOD WILL

BE DUE TO MEAGER INSTABILITY. HOWEVER...BOUNDARY LAYER HEATING

SHOULD AID IN AIR MASS DESTABILIZATION BY 18Z AND SUFFICIENT

BUOYANCY WILL DEVELOP FOR ROBUST UPDRAFTS WITHIN AN ENVIRONMENT MORE

THAN SUFFICIENTLY SHEARED FOR ORGANIZATION. IN FACT...FORECAST

SOUNDINGS SUGGEST ROTATING UPDRAFTS/SUPERCELL STRUCTURES ARE

POSSIBLE. GIVEN THE AFOREMENTIONED LARGE SCALE SUPPORT...IT APPEARS

A STRONGLY FORCED SQUALL LINE SHOULD BE NOTED WITH ADVANCING COLD

FRONT AND GRADUAL INTENSIFICATION IS EXPECTED AS AIR MASS

DESTABILIZES...PRIMARILY EAST OF THE APPALACHIANS AND WITH TIME

ACROSS PORTIONS OF PA. DAMAGING WINDS MAY BE COMMON WITH THE SQUALL

LINE...ESPECIALLY IF MUCAPE CAN EXCEED 1500 J/KG AS NAM SUGGESTS.

AT THIS TIME WILL MAINTAIN 30% SEVERE PROBS TO ACCOUNT FOR THE

EXPECTED STRONG WINDS WITH THE FRONTAL CONVECTION AND FOR ISOLATED

TORNADOES THAT COULD BE NOTED IF PRE-FRONTAL DISCRETE SUPERCELLS

DEVELOP. HOWEVER...THERE IS SOME CONCERN THAT A MORE WIDESPREAD

EVENT MAY EVOLVE IF LOW LEVEL LAPSE RATES/INSTABILITY RESPOND PRIOR

TO FRONTAL PASSAGE AND SEVERE PROBS MAY BE INCREASED TO ACCOUNT FOR

THIS SCENARIO IN LATER OUTLOOKS.

For what it's worth the 12z NMM and ARW just in has storms going right to the coast tomorrow. With wind and heavy rain being the main threat here if it were to verified.

http://www.meteo.psu..._12z/rloop.html

Additionally the 12z euro looks to be coming in stronger for just west of the metro area. Also looks a bit more like an occluded front with how close the warm front and cold front are together. Correct me if I am wrong though.

For what it's worth the 12z NMM and ARW just in has storms going right to the coast tomorrow. With wind and heavy rain being the main threat here if it were to verified.

http://www.meteo.psu..._12z/rloop.html

What I'm not seeing though is the discrete storms ahead of the line that you'll need if you actually want tornado potential. Now of course that could just be due to the 4 km resolution, but even the ARW has more scattered stuff (not necessarily supercells) out ahead of the main line, including one that rotates through Philly at 21z.

What you see on both, however, is that the cold front is still in central PA at 0z. SPC's slight westward shift of the 15% and 30% was totally warranted, imo.

What I'm not seeing though is the discrete storms ahead of the line that you'll need if you actually want tornado potential. Now of course that could just be due to the 4 km resolution, but even the ARW has more scattered stuff (not necessarily supercells) out ahead of the main line, including one that rotates through Philly at 21z.

What you see on both, however, is that the cold front is still in central PA at 0z. SPC's slight westward shift of the 15% and 30% was totally warranted, imo.

I am not really seeing much of a tornado threat for us anymore either but the wind threat is defiantly holding on strong right now for most of the area.

yea, i like their map they drew up. Makes total sense with most the severe weather out west where the instability is. While we are on the border.

Looked at the 12 and 18...this continues to be a MDT-LNS on south threat. Philly gets wind, some thunder, some rain...maybe severe criteria but the goods (if they go) will be in Central PA...pretty much Chambersburg to Harrisburg to Lebanon to Lancaster is the best spot in the state for anything to go.

Archived