• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
GRLevel 3: Is it worth it?

SquatchinNY

Why does it only seem to update .5 Base radar every 10 minutes?

Can you upgrade for free?

Is the radar in clear air mode? It will be updated every 10 minutes instead of 5.

AH last October said that the upgrade price to GRLevel 3, 2.0, will be ~$40.

New users will get GRLevel 3, 2.0 for the regular $79.

Is there a way to do the 21 day trial, then not use it for a few weeks, then buy it, so I can get the upgraded version?

Yeah, you don't have to buy it immediately after the trial expires. I used Analyst through the trial period, then waited to buy it.

I have been using the GRLevel3 program since 2004, and I owned it since 2005. Gibson Ridge has always provided upgrades (and there have been several upgrades.) The program just keeps getting nicer to use, and can display TDWR data. It is customizable with the color palettes and backgrounds, and placefiles, and shapefiles. I use shapefiles for Canada and Mexico and placefiles for the METAR feed.

Now I just updated it to version 1.91b. What features are different?

I have been using the GRLevel3 program since 2004, and I owned it since 2005. Gibson Ridge has always provided upgrades (and there have been several upgrades.) The program just keeps getting nicer to use, and can display TDWR data. It is customizable with the color palettes and backgrounds, and placefiles, and shapefiles. I use shapefiles for Canada and Mexico and placefiles for the METAR feed.

Now I just updated it to version 1.91b. What features are different?

Did YOU have to pay for upgrades?

Did YOU have to pay for upgrades?

nobody who bought it has to pay for updates, once purchased you are able to dl/install the updates and it uses the same reg code

However according to people in this thread, soon version 2.0 will be released, it's a new version, and current 1.0 users will have to pay in order to register it.

Ah, good. He must have changed his mind or AH didn't know. This was back on October 16, 2011 at 4:33pm

AllisonHouse LLC Once you upgrade to version 2.0, level3 dual pole products are all included upgrade price will be ~$40. New users will still get it at $79.

---

Of course they also said it was expected to be out in December.

Ah, good. He must have changed his mind or AH didn't know. This was back on October 16, 2011 at 4:33pm

AllisonHouse LLC Once you upgrade to version 2.0, level3 dual pole products are all included upgrade price will be ~$40. New users will still get it at $79.

---

Of course they also said it was expected to be out in December.

Yeah, that's the thing. I'd suggest waiting to purchase, in theory, but I'm not that confident we'll see 2.0 for at least a few more months. I've used and thoroughly enjoyed GR products for several years, but I'm somewhat disappointed with how he's handled this GR3 2.0 issue, to be honest. I have PYKL3 on my smartphone, which I paid about 1/8 the price of GR3 for, and the developer (Joe) seems to be more dedicated, responsive and customer-oriented -- even while pulling the load of a full-time NWS job. It might be beneficial to get some legitimate competition on the desktop side of things, like we see with PYKL vs. RadarScope on Android.

Yeah, that's the thing. I'd suggest waiting to purchase, in theory, but I'm not that confident we'll see 2.0 for at least a few more months. I've used and thoroughly enjoyed GR products for several years, but I'm somewhat disappointed with how he's handled this GR3 2.0 issue, to be honest. I have PYKL3 on my smartphone, which I paid about 1/8 the price of GR3 for, and the developer (Joe) seems to be more dedicated, responsive and customer-oriented -- even while pulling the load of a full-time NWS job. It might be beneficial to get some legitimate competition on the desktop side of things, like we see with PYKL vs. RadarScope on Android.

So you obviously don't know the whole story...

GR3 2.0 was going to be released late last year, but Mike's Dad passed away in December due to brain and lung cancer, so he took a good amount of time off for that. In addition, his 25th anniversary with his wife was in March, so once again he took some time off.

Right now he has to deal with switching GRE over to AH, but Mike has stated that GR3 v2 is complete and will be released after GRE 2.0, which is set for release on the 16th.

Honestly, I'd expect GR3 2.0 to be out before May.

Mike is just one guy running this whole suite of programs. You have to give him some slack.

So you obviously don't know the whole story...

GR3 2.0 was going to be released late last year, but Mike's Dad passed away in December due to brain and lung cancer, so he took a good amount of time off for that. In addition, his 25th anniversary with his wife was in March, so once again he took some time off.

Right now he has to deal with switching GRE over to AH, but Mike has stated that GR3 v2 is complete and will be released after GRE 2.0, which is set for release on the 16th.

Honestly, I'd expect GR3 2.0 to be out before May.

Mike is just one guy running this whole suite of programs. You have to give him some slack.

Superstorm, my username on the Accuw forums is The Day After Tommorow. I asked you about GRLevel3 once, remember?

I get the whole family thing. Family should always come first, but at the same time, it feels like everyone has been led along with that carrot in front of their nose, rightly or not.

Stormlab is really the only competition in the L2/L3 realm right now, I tried it out and it was crap.

On the widescale side I tried out WeatherStudio, it was such a resource hog my laptop literally started to burn my leg 1min after I started it.

Buy it now, it's worth more than it costs. I wouldn't wait, as there will be several severe events before 2.0 comes out, and you'll miss out. Why miss out when you're going to spend the $ anyway?

I get the whole family thing. Family should always come first, but at the same time, it feels like everyone has been led along with that carrot in front of their nose, rightly or not.

Stormlab is really the only competition in the L2/L3 realm right now, I tried it out and it was crap.

On the widescale side I tried out WeatherStudio, it was such a resource hog my laptop literally started to burn my leg 1min after I started it.

Well I definitely see how it could get frustrating. Personally, I've known about GR3 v2 since September and was expecting a release in November. Just have to remember the circumstances.

I agree about StormLab, and I have had GRE since October 2010, so WS is useless to me.

For those of you thinking about the hi-resolution radar stuff,I already said some very positive things about GRLevel3. Here are some pretty useful web sites for individual NEXRAD and TDWR sites:

http://vortex.plymouth.edu/nids.html

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/

http://wxcaster.com/tdwrbref.php3

http://wxcaster.com/...ar-overlays.htm

http://weather.rap.ucar.edu/radar/

http://www.wundergro...m/radar/map.asp

http://wxcaster.com/radar-overlays.htm

oy, give the guy a break

Archived