• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
The broken record thread

SpartyOn

Something to watch going forward will be the earliest last freeze...which I believe for ORD is April 4th or 5th. We should make it to then without dipping much more than into the upper 30s at worst...so there's potential to destroy this record as well. Of course a late freeze is also possible but given the snowcover issues and long term pattern, I don't see it happening.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something to watch going forward will be the earliest last freeze...which I believe for ORD is April 4th or 5th. We should make it to then without dipping much more than into the upper 30s at worst...so there's potential to destroy this record as well. Of course a late freeze is also possible but given the snowcover issues and long term pattern, I don't see it happening.

There's a real possibility. I know that people cite April 2007 as a reason not to plant early, but the pattern doesn't resemble that period in any significant manner right now. It's going to be tough for a very cold airmass to penetrate south without significantly modifying due to an amazing lack of snow cover.

After studying this for a while a couple days ago, I went ahead and put in most of the tender plants into the garden. This may be one of those years where I have stuff well ahead of anybody else.

... All time record high departure from normal set at Grand Rapids

mi...

With a high of 87 degrees yesterday at Grand Rapids on the 21st and

with the normal high being 47 degrees the departure from normal was

40 degrees. That beats all time previous record of 38 degrees on

set on January 22 1894.

The mean temperature on the 21st was 74 degrees. That was the

highest daily mean temperature every recorded in March. It beat the

previous record of 72 set on March 29th in 1910. The previous

record for the 21st of March was 62 degrees in 1938.

That 74 degree mean also results in the all time record departure

from normal at Grand Rapids for any day of the year for the entire

period of record. The mean of 74 degrees was 37 degrees above

normal. No other day on record at Grand Rapids has had such a large

departure from normal. The previous record of 34 degrees happened

twice... once on March 8th in the year 2000 when the mean was 67

degrees and the normal 33... then and on March 13th in 1990 when the

mean was 68 degrees and the normal 34 degrees.

For the third day in a row, 5 climo sites in CLE's CWA tied or exceeded record highs, with only Erie, PA falling short. Erie exceeded records on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Of note...

KTOL hit 85 degrees today, March 22. This breaks the daily record of 82 degrees and ties the all time March record of 85, which was set yesterday.

KMFD hit 84 degrees today, March 22. This breaks the daily record of 81 degrees and breaks the all time March record of 82, which they tied yesterday.

KCAK hit 83 degrees today, March 22. This breaks the daily record of 81 degrees and breaks the all time March record of 82.

KCLE hit 83 degrees today, March 22. This ties the daily record of 83 degrees and for the third day in a row ties the all time March record of 83.

KYNG hit 81 degrees This breaks the daily record of 75 degrees and is one degree short of the 82 degree all time March record high.

All previous daily records for today at these sites were set in 1938.

DTW set a new monthly record today topping out at 86F. So 2012 holds the 1st, 2nd, and tied-3rd hottest Mar temps (86, 84, 82). Also, the month by far will have the most consecutive 60F+ days, we are at #12 and counting (old record 9 in 1945). Also, this is the most 80s in March, with 3 days (old record 2 days), the most consecutive 70s by far (now at 9 in a row, old record 4), and tied for most 70s total for March at 9 (9 was set in 1945, we SHOULD exceed it tomorrow). As you can see, everything is a match with 1945, previously a March I never thought wed match, but 2012 is winning on all accounts. The only thing March 1945 might beat us in would be total # of 60F+ days, that year we saw 19. This year so far we are at 14 and counting, with 9 days left in the month.

Heres a 1996 writeup from DTX on March 1945

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dtx/march.php

Warmest astronomical winter in Cleveland in 140 years of record keeping with an average high of 44.5 degrees. :sizzle: This is by far my least favorite weather record broken ... ever.

http://blog.clevelan...ter_that_w.html

http://www.cleveland...inter_temp.html

We beat out 1982/1983 by 1.1 degrees. What a scorcher.

I saw them quote the high temp but not the mean temp. Was it the mean that was the highest by 1.1F or the max? Its also impressive because with UHI it seems winter min temps suffer more than max temps. This season didnt place in Clevelands top 20 least snowy winters, did it? Didnt at Detroit, where we saw our 6th warmest winter.

This winter was 8.1 degrees above the 141 year average and 7.5 degrees above the most recent 30 year average. I'm amazed that we still managed to salvage some snowfall scraps here and there. Still mind boggling that we had a winter without an organized snowstorm even remotely close to here.

post-599-0-76902500-1332458076.png

And then the bottom of the list!

post-599-0-92471700-1332459527.png

I saw them quote the high temp but not the mean temp. Was it the mean that was the highest by 1.1F or the max? Its also impressive because with UHI it seems winter min temps suffer more than max temps. This season didnt place in Clevelands top 20 least snowy winters, did it? Didnt at Detroit, where we saw our 6th warmest winter.

Yeah, the mean was highest by 1.1 (0.6 for the high, and 1.6 for the low) So that's pretty substantial over 1982/1983.

That's the one thing about warmest winters and snowfall ... they don't necessarily go hand in hand. Especially in lake effect locales. Even more so in your colder northern US spots. For example a place that averages 20 degrees in the winter and then has a year that's 7 degrees above normal might actually have a pretty good increase in snowfall that winter. It's the DC, Philly, Cincy, St. Louis types of areas where warm winters effectively kill any snow chances.

This winter was 8.1 degrees above the 141 year average and 7.5 degrees above the most recent 30 year average. I'm amazed that we were still manage to salvage some snowfall scraps here and there. Still mind boggling that we had a winter without an organized snowstorm even remotely close to here.

post-599-0-76902500-1332458076.png

It will be interesting to see what the future holds, but with as snowy as recent winters have been, and the fact that while still well below normal, we were nowhere near snow futility in a winter where warmth dominated and snow systems just did not come together, it makes you wonder. Most of our past very warm winters had much less snowfall (and Ive combed all local snow data with a fine tooth comb, it all seems legit).

It is this epic warmspell that surprises me most, I would have bet money that such a mild winter would be followed by a very cold spring.

Yeah, the mean was highest by 1.1 (0.6 for the high, and 1.6 for the low) So that's pretty substantial over 1982/1983.

That's the one thing about warmest winters and snowfall ... they don't necessarily go hand in hand. Especially in lake effect locales. Even more so in your colder northern US spots. For example a place that averages 20 degrees in the winter and then has a year that's 7 degrees above normal might actually have a pretty good increase in snowfall that winter. It's the DC, Philly, Cincy, St. Louis types of areas where warm winters effectively kill any snow chances.

LAF too most of the time.  We somehow have just below average snow despite being +5.4 in temps for DJF.

I said it numerous times last winter, and unfortunately I was proven correct this year in a way Id rather have done without. Last winter was the PERFECT winter for my standards, as well below normal temps and well above normal snowfall, snowcover, and snowdepth made for a quite rare combination of perfection (usually you dont get all such factors at once). Still, several were lamenting the epic storms and snowdepth hitting parts of the east coast. I said "our great winters arent as amazing as the easts great ones, and our crappiest winters arent as bad as the easts crappy ones". Most coastal cities had about 3 days with snow on the ground this year, and all were in single-digits for (final?) snowfall totals.

It will be interesting to see what the future holds, but with as snowy as recent winters have been, and the fact that while still well below normal, we were nowhere near snow futility in a winter where warmth dominated and snow systems just did not come together, it makes you wonder. Most of our past very warm winters had much less snowfall (and Ive combed all local snow data with a fine tooth comb, it all seems legit).

It is this epic warmspell that surprises me most, I would have bet money that such a mild winter would be followed by a very cold spring.

We've been stuck in a very wet pattern. With most of the eastern midwest recording their wettest year on record, it's no surprise that even with the warmth we managed to get lots 1-2" events. Officially we beat the previous all time wettest year by nearly a whopping foot of rain! Parts of the county had 72" of liquid equivalent last year and running 12 month averages here are still in the 60-70" range with no signs of stopping. I think if this warm winter hadn't coincided with our wet streak, it would have been major snow futility.

FWA Updated:

Date - Record High/Year - New Record

14th - 78 in 1995 - 79

15th - 75 in '77 & '95 - 81

16th - 77 in 1945 78

17th - 71 in '45, '66, '03 & '09 - 78

18th - 75 in 1903 - 77

19th - 76 in 1921 - 83

20th - 76 in 1918 - 84

21st - 81 in 1907 - 87 (all-time March high)

22nd- 83 in 1907 - 83 (tied)

This extends the record of consecutive record high temp days to 9.

Also, 5 80+ March days beats the old record of 4 set in 1910

The record highs for Battle Creek. KBTL..

Mar 14, 78

Mar 15, 77

Mar 16, 77

Mar 17, 76

Mar 18, No record high but did nab to record low max for the date.

Mar 19, 79

Mar 20, 81 Daily and earliest 80+

Mar 21, 84 Daily, Month of March record Max which was 82.

Mar 22, 83 Daily which had been the month of March record 82. First ever string of 80+ days in a row. Most 80+ days in Month of March

Epic March warmspell post-mortum, DETROIT, MI. Last freeze 32F on 3/11, last hard freeze 21F on 3/10, last snow 0.1" on 3/9.

AVG on 3/01: 40/24

AVG on 3/11: 44/27

AVG on 3/24: 49/31

AVG on 3/31: 53/34

We didnt have a continuous streak of records like many areas to our N and W, nor did we have any of the insane 60F+ lows, but the record books now have a huge 2012 dent in them for March!

3/11: 66 / 32

3/12: 61 / 44

3/13: 67 / 49 **rec warm min (beat 47 - 1946)

3/14: 75 / 39

3/15: 77 / 55 **tied rec high (1990)** **rec warm min (beat 47 - 1973)

3/16: 73 / 53

3/17: 75 / 48 **tied rec high (1945)**

3/18: 75 / 51 **rec high (beat 72 - 1903)** **rec warm min (beat 50 - 1891)

3/19: 75 / 52

3/20: 82 / 57 **rec high (beat 73 - 1918)**

3/21: 84 / 56 **rec high (beat 73 - 1991)** **rec warm min (beat 50 - 1918)

3/22: 86 / 55 **rec high (beat 81 - 1938)** **tied rec warm min (1938)

3/23: 73 / ?? **tied rec high (1994)** **min pending...rec warm min 51 - 1953)

Archived