Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
What's the Weather Where You are?

terpguy

Gaithersburg Maryland Backyard Weather Report for Saturday, December 29, 2012

Saturday was "a snowy morning while I was sleeping" type day. The weather station transmitter did not come in the mail today, but should come on Monday. I am maintaining precipitation readings through my lake region gauge manual readings and pressure readings from my VP2 interior display output. Snowfall readings come from a combination of melting down the Lake Region rain gauge catch, a well placed ruler into the ground to determine new snowfall amounts and snow on ground at obs. So except for rainfall/snowfall and pressure data and the temp data from the Radio Shack thermometer, all other data for the time being will be coming from the nearby LONGHORN weather underground/fellow VP2 station or in some cases the Quince Orchard HS weatherbug station.

I went to bed early Saturday morning but unfortunately I did not see the snow start - it started soon after I went to sleep, and wound on down as I was waking up mid-day. Temps remained above freezing in the 30s most of the day so the snow stayed wet and melted quickly off the roads and cement, esp. in the afternoon when we had some sun at times. Skies have cleared at least partially now and temps have remained above freezing in the mid 30s. Sunday and Monday should be partly to mostly cloudy with highs in the mid 30s and lows in the 20s on Sunday and low 40s on Monday. Tuesday, New Years Day should be up in the low 40s once again with a 30 POP for rain or snow showers. Most of the rest of the week should be cold and partly to mostly cloudy with highs in the mid 30s and lows in the low 20s. No more precipitation chances till the end of the week. Appears a coastal storm might be possible in time for the first weekend of 2013, we shall see how that develops, if it does at all.

Saturday's precipitation: 0.21" (LR)

Saturday's snowfall: 1.1" (adjusted from my earlier declared amount of 0.8")

Snow on ground at obs: T

December total snowfall: 4.1"

Seasonal snow/sleet: 4.1"

December total precipitation: 3.63"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 44.36"

Data for Saturday as follows:

High temp 40.1° RS (1830 from Longhorn timing)

Low temp 34.3° RS (1050 from Longhorn timing)

Obs temp tonight 37.9°(RS)

Peak Wind Gust 23 MPH from the NW (2110 - :Longhorn station data)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 94% (1320) to a low of 61% (2340)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 33° to 24°

Pressures ranged from 30.05"(0004) to 29.58"(1443)

At midnight obs, temp was 37.9° (RS), Clear, Winds 4 WNW, Pressure at 29.82" and rising, humidity 59%, dew point 23°

Currently at 0500 EST, the temp is 36.9°(RS), Clear, Winds W @ 9, Pressure at 29.95" and rising, humidity 67% (wxbug), dew point 24°.

Currently radar is showing snow over most of Maine and New Brunswick, scattered over mountain areas of other sections of New England, NY state, PA and WV, along with much of Michigan at this time. All looks light,perhaps some/most of it is not reaching the ground.

Kevin the snowywalrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Sunday morning.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gaithersburg Maryland Backyard weather report for Sunday, December 30, 2012

Sunday had nothing new on the instrument front. The weather station transmitter should come tomorrow (Monday). I am maintaining precipitation readings through my lake region gauge manual readings and pressure readings from my VP2 interior display output. Snowfall readings come from a combination of melting down the Lake Region rain gauge catch, a well placed ruler into the ground to determine new snowfall amounts and snow on ground at obs. So except for rainfall/snowfall and pressure data and the temp data from the Radio Shack thermometer, all other data for the time being will be coming from the nearby LONGHORN weather underground/fellow VP2 station or in some cases the Quince Orchard HS weatherbug station.

Sunday was a sunny, seasonably cold day but most noted for the high winds at times during the day. Temps have finally started to drop into the 20s this evening as winds are finally dying off, and should reach the low-mid 20s by morning, though some clouds may put a lid sometime overnight on the temperature drop. Monday should find milder temps into the 40s but with clouds increasing in the afternoon, and keeping the mins on New Years Eve in the 30s. Clouds on New Years Day with a 40 POP for rain showers, and then a 40 POP for snow showers New Years Tuesday night. The rest of the week into the weekend should be mostly sunny to partly cloudy with high temps in the mid 30s and lows in the lower 20s. Perhaps a bit of a warmup by Sunday. But the rest of the week looks to be storm-free and pretty dry after those showers on Tuesday. Not sure if that coastal storm I mentioned last night will be developing over the weekend or not now.

Sunday's precipitation: 0

Sunday's snowfall: 0

Snow on ground at obs: 0

Data for Sunday as follows:

High temp 40.3° RS (1425 from Longhorn timing)

Low temp 29.7° RS (2320 from Longhorn timing)

Obs temp tonight 29.7° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 32 MPH from the WNW (1150 - :Longhorn station data)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 64% (0120) to a low of 43% (1305)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 25° to 16°

Pressures ranged from 30.33"(2244) to 29.82"(0000)

At midnight obs, temp was 29.7° (RS), Clear, Winds 3 W, Pressure at 30.31" and steady, humidity 64% with dew point of 17°.

Currently at 0131 EST, the temp is 28.4°(RS), Clear, Winds W @ 2, Pressure at 30.31" and steady, humidity 72% (wxbug) with a dew point of 20°.

Currently radar is showing a bit of lake effect snow in parts of central NY (off of Lake Ontario) and upper Michigan (off of Lake Superior). Also a bit of light mixed precipitation over parts of NE Arkansas and southern MO at this time.

Kevin the snowywalrus of Gaithersburg Maryland signing off early on this Monday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland Backyard weather report for Monday, December 31, 2012

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2013!!

I received the replacement weather station transmitter in the mail on Monday. By the time I got home from work, it was dark. I will be off work on both Tuesday and Wednesday so I plan on getting it installed over the next 2 days, replacing the old one which I will return to Davis. Hopefully that will do the trick and get me back into operational mode once again. I am maintaining precipitation readings through my lake region gauge manual readings and pressure readings from my VP2 interior display output. Snowfall readings come from a combination of melting down the Lake Region rain gauge catch, a well placed ruler into the ground to determine new snowfall amounts and snow on ground at obs. So except for rainfall/snowfall and pressure data and the temp data from the Radio Shack thermometer, all other data for the time being will be coming from the nearby LONGHORN weather underground/fellow VP2 station or in some cases the Quince Orchard HS weatherbug station.

The last day of 2012, Monday was a mostly cloudy day, high clouds mostly well in advance of a weak system that will affect us on the first day of 2013. Cloudy skies over New Years Eve overnight, with lows in the low 30s. Cloudy and a 20 POP for flurries or sprinkles on Tuesday morning and light rain showers in the afternoon, with highs in the upper 30s. We are on the northern edge of the precipitation shield, and right now it is in western VA and parts of WV. Snow to the north, a mixed bag and rain to the south. Clearing out on New Years Day night, with lows dropping into the 20s. The rest of the week should be mostly sunny and dry, with highs somewhere in the 30s through Saturday and lows in the low to mid 20s. Sunny and a bit milder on Sunday, with highs in the low 40s and lows in the upper 20s. Definitely a dry period with little moisture available for any sort of storms or organized areas of precipitation.

Monday's precipitation: 0
Monday's snowfall: 0

Data for Monday as follows:

High temp 37.6° RS (1410 from Longhorn timing)
Low temp 27.7° RS (0730 from Longhorn timing)
Obs temp tonight 34.5° (RS)
Peak Wind Gust 6 MPH from the SW (0515 - :Longhorn station data)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 70% (0730) to a low of 51% (1205)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 23° to 16°
Pressures ranged from 30.32"(0225) to 29.99"(2337)

At midnight obs, temp was 34.5° (RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.99" and steady, humidity 64% dew point at 23°

Currently at 0448 EST, the temp is 32.5°(RS), Cloudy, Winds S @ 1, Pressure at 29.98" and steady, humidity 64% (weatherbug) with a dew point of 23°.

Currently radar is showing snow over parts of WV and North Central VA, with mixed precip to the south, and further south over southern VA and NC light rain.

Kevin the snowywalrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Tuesday morning, the first morning of the new year of 2013.

Gaithersburg Maryland Backyard weather report for New Years Day, Tuesday, January 1, 2013

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2013!! On Wednesday, I hope to install the weather station transmitter I received in the mail on Monday. Hopefully that will do the trick and get me back into operational mode once again.  I am maintaining precipitation readings through my lake region gauge manual readings and pressure readings from my VP2 interior display output. Snowfall readings come from a combination of melting down the Lake Region rain gauge catch, a well placed ruler into the ground to determine new snowfall amounts and snow on ground at obs.  So except for rainfall/snowfall and pressure data and the temp data from the Radio Shack thermometer, all other data for the time being will be coming from the nearby LONGHORN weather underground/fellow VP2 station or in some cases the Quince Orchard HS weatherbug station.

The first day of 2013, Tuesday was a mostly cloudy day, with precipitation falling above but not reaching the ground that I know of. Temps moderated under light W to SW breezes into the low-mid 40s. Tonight overnight temps are remaining in the 30s under still cloudy skies. Wednesday should see clearing skies and a bit cooler, with highs in the upper 30s. Lows in the 20s. Thursday should see it a bit cooler yet, with highs in the mid 30s and lows in the low 20s. Friday a bit of a warmup starts, with upper 30s to around 40 for highs and lows in the mid-upper 20s. Over the weekend sunny skies should persist with high temps in the 40s and lows in the upper 20s to lower 30s. No organized areas of precipitation looks to be entering our region for the foreseeable future.

Tuesday's precipitation: 0
Tuesday's snowfall: 0
January total snowfall: 0.0"
January total precipitation: 0.00"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 0.00"

Data for Tuesday as follows:

High temp 43.7° RS (1240 from Longhorn timing)
Low temp 32.4° RS (0445 from Longhorn timing)
Obs temp tonight 37.4° (RS)  
Peak Wind Gust 10 MPH from the W (1210 - :Longhorn station data)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 69% (0130) to a low of 50% (0320)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 28° to 19°
Pressures ranged from 30.02"(2228) to 29.91"(1355)

At midnight obs, temp was 37.4° (RS), Cloudy, Winds 5 MPH from the N, Pressure at 30.01" and steady, humidity 65% with the dew point at 25°

Currently at 0420 EST, the temp is 34.5°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 5 MPH from the N, Pressure at 30.02" and steady, humidity 70%(weatherbug) , dew pt of 24°.

Currently radar is showing precip overhead but not reaching the ground, with much more to the south and east, moving south and east and gradually away from our area.

Kevin the snowywalrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Wednesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Well as hoped, on Wednesday, I (mostly) installed the new weather station transmitter I received in the mail on Monday. Not enough time here and too complicated to explain the continuing issues I have yet to resolve, but that should be on Saturday when I get more time to work out the remaining problems. One of them right now is my anemometer, which has only read 0 since I got back online at about 1650 EST.  Temps, humidity, dew pt are now up and running.  No precipitation falling so not sure about that, I think I either didn't plug in the anemometer or rainfall sensor.. Meanwhile, since this occurred late in the afternoon, I still have a mix of the temporary method I have been using and my traditional data sources and methods. I am back online on CWOP and Weather Underground.

Wednesday was mostly sunny with a variety of high to middle clouds at times during the day. Colder than Tuesday, temps stayed in the 30s all day, in fact the warmest temps were in the very early morning hours just after midnight. Winds really did die down by late afternoon and evening, but not to read 0 for the past 8 hours! Sunny and seasonably cold on Thursday with highs in the upper 30s and lows in the low 20s. A sunny period to follow through the weekend and into next week as it looks now, with highs around 40 on Friday and Saturday rising up into the mid-upper 40s on Sunday and the start of the new week. Lows should be in the 20s through Saturday, then 30s on Sunday and into Monday and Tuesday.  No organized areas of precipitation looks to be entering our region for the foreseeable future.

Wednesday's precipitation: 0
Wednesday's snowfall: 0

Data for Wednesday as follows:

High temp 37.6° RS (0015 from Longhorn timing)
Low temp 27.6° VP2 (2359) 
Obs temp tonight 27.6° (VP2)  
Peak Wind Gust 15 MPH from the WNW (1220 - :Longhorn station data)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 66% (0035) to a low of 39% (1815)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 26° (LONGHORN) to 18°(VP2)
Pressures ranged from 30.27"(2259) to 30.00"(0000)

At midnight obs, temp was 27.6° (VP2), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.25" and rising, humidity 67% with dew point at 18°

Currently at 0138 EST, the temp is 26.9°(VP2), 26.8°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.24" and steady, humidity 70% (VP2) , dew pt of 18°.

Currently radar is showing patches of light snow which may or may not be reaching the ground, over parts of MI and NY (lake effect snow regions).

Kevin the snowywalrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Thursday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather report for Thursday, January 3, 2013

Well Thursday was my first full day of temp/humidity/dew pt data from my VP2, and I have exposure issues with my temp that is going to lean me towards using my Radio Shack temp data for today and tomorrow, problems should be worked out either Friday or Saturday I am hoping. My wind data is non-existent right now, as that has to be the wire I didn't put into the ISS on Wednesday afternoon. It has read zero since Wed afternoon. I am using Longhorn data for my peak wind gust. So I still have a mix of data sources for today's report.

Thursday was mostly sunny and chilly in the am, with milder temps in the afternoon around 40. Temps have been going up and down this evening, and my VP2 is reading lower than my Radio Shack thermometer. Lows tonight should be in the mid-upper 20s. Tomorrow sunny with temps similar to Thursday, highs around 40. A slow warmup with dry conditions through the weekend into midweek next week, with highs reaching around 50 by Wednesday and Thursday. Mostly sunny skies most days, some clouds look to be around on Sunday with a weak disturbance coming through, and then by midweek with the milder temps also. Still no organized areas of precipitation looks to be entering our region for the foreseeable future.

Thursday's precipitation: 0
Thursday's snowfall: 0

Data for Thursday as follows:

High temp 39.4° RS (1524)(43.6 VP2)
Low temp 22.5° RS (0749)(23.4 VP2) 
Obs temp tonight 30.7°(RS) 28.1 (VP2)  
Peak Wind Gust 10 MPH from the SW (1410 - :Longhorn station data)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 82% (VP2@0923) to a low of 46% (VP2@1544) (75%-37% LONGHORN)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 27° (VP2) to 16°(VP2) (18° to 10° LONGHORN)
Pressures ranged from 30.29"(0925) to 30.18"(1412)

At midnight obs, temp was 30.7° (RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.20" and steady, humidity 73% with the dew point at 20°

Currently at 0218 EST, the temp is 29.2°(VP2), 33.1°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.20" and steady, humidity 73%(VP2) , dew pt of 22°.

Currently radar is showing patches of light snow which may or may not be reaching the ground, over parts of MI, NY, VT, and PA (some being lake effect snow regions.)

I am currently back online on CWOP and Weather Underground with most of my data. Will post links and more updates by the weekend.

Kevin the snowywalrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Friday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Friday, January 4, 2013

Friday was my second full day of temp/humidity/dew pt data from my VP2, and I continue to have exposure issues with my temp that is going to lean me towards using my Radio Shack temp data for today, problems that should be worked out over the weekend, hopefully. My wind data is non-existent right now, as that has to be the wire I didn't put into the ISS on Wednesday afternoon. It continues to read "0" since Wed afternoon. I am using Longhorn data for my peak wind gust. So I still have a mix of data sources for today's report.

Friday was mostly sunny and a bit milder. with afternoon temps in the mid 40s. Temps have been lowered through the 30s tonight, they might reach the mid to upper 20s by morning. Tomorrow it should be sunny with high temps in the upper 30s.  Saturday night temps in the 30s and cloudy, with a 50 POP for snow overnight. Not a major storm at all, just a few flakes overnight. Sunday should turn sunny with highs in the low 40s, so any snow that falls won't be around for very long. A slow warmup with dry conditions should run through next week, with highs by Wednesday up in the 50s, with a 30 POP for showers on Thursday, continuing with the mild trend up in the 50s. Lows on Sunday should be in the upper 20s, thereafter lows will mostly be somewhere in the 30s.

Friday's precipitation: 0
Friday's snowfall: 0

Data for Friday as follows:

High temp 43.0° RS (1522)(46.7 VP2)
Low temp 30.7° RS (0000)(28.1 VP2) 
Obs temp tonight 35.4°(RS) 32.6 (VP2)  
Peak Wind Gust 19 MPH from the W (1115 - :Longhorn station data)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 74% (VP2@0104) to a low of 43% (VP2@1536) (58%-40% LONGHORN)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 27° (VP2) to 20°(VP2) (20° to 17° LONGHORN)
Pressures ranged from 30.23"(1042) to 30.13"(1524)

At midnight obs, temp was 35.4° (RS) (32.6 VP2), Clear, Winds W@1, Pressure at 30.18" and steady, humidity 63% with the dew point at 21°

Currently at 0302 EST, the temp is 32.1°(VP2), 34.5°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.23" and rising, humidity 64%(VP2) , dew pt of 21°.

Currently radar is showing patches of light snow over parts of upstate NY and New England, greatest concentration over eastern Maine extending into New Brunswick at this time.

I am currently back online on CWOP and Weather Underground with most of my data. Will post links and more updates sometime this weekend.

Kevin the snowywalrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Saturday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday, January 5, 2013

Saturday I got my VP2 station fully operational, as my great friend Marty B came over and put it all together and hooked up completely. I still haven't gotten any measurable precipitation to know for sure that my rainfall sensor is working, but I got my wind direction and speed hooked up this afternoon finally. With only a partial day of full VP2 data I still have a mix of data sources for today's report.

Saturday was mostly sunny most of the day, clear blue skies early, then clouds increased during the afternoon and evening, and light precipitation is in the area. Temps rose into the mid 40s once again, and started dropping off nicely right after sunset, but then with a bit of an increase in southerly winds with rising dew points we had a bit of light snow after midnight, nothing really sticking with temps in the mid 30s. Sunday should turn mostly sunny by afternoon, with highs in the low-mid 40s, lows in the upper 20s, then another sunny day in the 40s on Monday. A slow warmup during this upcoming week, with a 30 POP for showers on Thursday, with high temps in the low 50s. Sunny and mid 50s by Friday and Saturday at this point. It could be a January thaw but there isn't much around to thaw, particularly snow cover in my area.

Saturday's precipitation: 0
Saturday's snowfall: 0

High temp 43.3° RS (1520)(45.1 VP2)
Low temp  27.5° VP2 (0800)(28.0 RS)                                                                                    
Obs temp tonight 38.5°(VP2) 38.8 (RS)                                                                                  
Peak Wind Gust 12 MPH from the WSW (0940 - :Longhorn station data)                              
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 80% (VP2@0925) to a low of 46% (VP2@1540) (66%-39% LONGHORN)                                                                    
Dew point temperatures ranged from 28° (VP2) to 19°(VP2) (24° to 17° LONGHORN)           
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.40"(1110) to 30.16"(0105)

At midnight obs, temp was 38.5° (VP2) (38.8 RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.21" and falling, humidity 64% with the dew point at 27°

Currently at 0425 EST, the temp is 34.9° (VP2), 34.9° (RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.16" and falling, humidity 86% (VP2) , dew pt of 31°.

Currently radar is showing a large area of scattered light precipitation to my south and east, moving east - with snow over eastern PA and central NJ, a mix over southern NJ, and mostly rain over SE VA, the eastern shore of MD, and most of DE at this time.

Kevin the snowywalrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Sunday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Sunday, January 6, 2013

Well I now have a full day of fully operational VP2 data so I am more or less back to normal. Sunday was mostly cloudy and mild, with a few snow flurries overnight that was my first precipitation of the year, albeit only a trace. Temps reached to about the 50 mark today, foreshadowing more of the same later during the upcoming week. It should be sunny through Thursday during the day, with highs in the low 40s and lows in the upper 20s on Monday, warming to the low 50s by Thursday with lows in the 30s. Thursday night through the weekend looks to be mostly cloudy, with lows in the 40s and highs in the upper 50s and a 30 POP for showers Thursday night into Friday, and then again Sunday. Colder air looks to be coming in after next Sunday, if the model forecasts being run right now for the next 7 days turn out correct.

Sunday's precipitation: T
Saturday's snowfall: T
January total snowfall: T
January total precipitation: T
Annual YTD precipitation total: T

High temp 49.6° VP2 (1505)(50.2 RS)
Low temp 29.5° VP2 (0735) (29.5 RS)
Obs temp 41.4° VP2 41.7° (RS)    
Peak wind gust 10 SW (1347)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 94%(0843) to a low of 47%(1508)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 34° to 27°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.22"(0131) to 30.05"(1503)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight obs the temp was 41.4° (VP2)/41.7°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 2 MPH from the WNW, Pressure at 30.17" and rising, humidity 63% with dew pt of 30°.    

Currently at 0203 EST, the temp is 41.8°(VP2), 42.3°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 3 MPH from the NNW, Pressure at 30.20" and rising, humidity 67% (VP2), dew pt 32°.

Currently radar is showing a few small, scattered areas of light snow which may or may not be reaching the ground over parts of central-Northern New England and Upstate New York.

My WX Underground Station ID is KMDGAITH11. To see my data, both historic and realtime, use the following URL:

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KMDGAITH11

My CWOP Station ID is DW4566. To see my data use the following URL:

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=DW4566

Kevin the snowywalrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Monday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Monday, January 7, 2013

Monday was partly cloudy and a bit cooler, as a weak cold front moved on through, dry of course. Tonight with clear skies the temps are heading down through the 20s, our last cold night for a while. Sunny and milder temps on Tuesday and Wednesday, with highs in the low-mid 50s. Thursday turns cloudy and still mild, with a 40 POP for showers Thursday night and Friday, with highs around 50 and lows in the upper 30s to low 40s. Over the weekend some clouds and possible showers (30 POP) on Sunday, but with temps soaring into the 60s, lows in the 40s. Next week we should start cooling off some. Still not a lot of precipitation/big storms for the next several days. A pretty tranquil, mild period.

High temp 44.7° VP2 (1456)(45.7 RS)
Low temp 27.4° VP2 (2353) (27.1 RS)
Obs temp 27.4° VP2 27.1° (RS)    
Peak wind gust 13 NW (0550)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 85%(2319) to a low of 50%(1455)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 32° to 24°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.46"(1108) to 30.17"(0000)                                                                                                                                       
At midnight obs the temp was 27.4° (VP2)/27.1°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.43" and steady, humidity 85% with dew pt of 24°.    

Currently at 0238 EST, the temp is 25.9°(VP2), 25.5°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.41" and falling, humidity 87% (VP2), dew pt 23°.

Currently radar is completely clear in the Eastern U.S. north of Florida.

My WX Underground Station ID is KMDGAITH11. To see my data, both historic and realtime, use the following URL:

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KMDGAITH11

My CWOP Station ID is DW4566. To see my data use the following URL:

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=DW4566

Kevin the snowywalrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Tuesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Tuesday, January 8,2013

Tuesday was mostly sunny and chilly to start the day, but got milder in the afternoon, reaching into the low 50s to make for an above normal day. We should stay clear and cold overnight, dropping into the upper 20s so not quite as chilly as last night. Wednesday should be sunny with highs up in the mid 50s. Thursday a bit cooler under cloudy skies, with highs around 50s. Friday should find temps sliding down a bit more into the upper 40s with a 50 POP for showers both during the day and in the evening. Over the weekend we should have partly to mostly cloudy skies and pretty warm, with highs up in the 60s. It should start cooling off next week, with some chances for showers, highs probably dropping off into the upper 40s. Lows this week should be in the 30s most nights after tonight, with possibly only dropping into the 40s over the mild weekend.  Lows in the 30s and perhaps even 20s might creep into the forecast by early next week.

High temp 52.6° VP2 (1505)(53.1 RS)
Low temp 25.3° VP2 (0347) (25.0 RS)
Obs temp 31.5° VP2 31.6° (RS)    
Peak wind gust 9 W (1025)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 94% (0910) to a low of 48% (1422)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 34° to 22°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.45"(1032) to 30.38"(1401)                                                                                                                                       
At midnight obs the temp was 31.5° (VP2)/31.6°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.40" and steady, humidity 85% with dew pt of 28°.

Currently at 0207 EST, the temp is 29.3° (VP2), 29.3° (RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.39" and falling, humidity 88% (VP2), dew pt 26°.

Currently radar is showing a bit of shower activity over parts of MO and AR, and a bit of light snow shower activity over parts of MI, particularly in sections of the Upper Peninsula.

Kevin the snowywalrus of Gaithersburg Maryland signing off early on this Wednesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather report for Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Wednesday started out clear early with yet another freezing early morning min with slightly scrapable frost still remaining on my windshield this morning, though it was starting to melt. Clouded over later, and kept the temps from rising to predicted levels for a good part of the day, but mildest temps were actually reached this evening. And on the way home I was seeing something novel- wet pavement on my neighborhood and closeby roads. So sometime in the late afternoon I had a light shower and my first measureable precipitation amount of 2013. Temperatures are still staying quite mild and well above freezing, but we should reach somewhere in the 30s by sunrise. Sunny with a high of about 50 on Thursday, then a 40 POP for showers on Friday with highs in the upper 40s. Lows in the 30s. Partly cloudy on Saturday with highs in the low 60s, then lows around 40 Saturday night and then Cloudy but quite mild on Sunday with highs in the upper 60s. A gradual cool-off should be in store for us next week, with highs gradually falling into the upper 40s by Wednesday, with showers possible on Tuesday.  No real big arctic outbreaks in store for our area anytime soon, nor any big rain/snow makers.

Wednesday's precipitation: 0.01" (LR) 0.00" (VP2)
January total precipitation: 0.01"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 0.01"

High temp 49.5° VP2 (2130)(50.0 RS)
Low temp 28.2° VP2 (0444) (28.2 RS)
Obs temp 48.1° VP2 48.7° (RS)    
Peak wind gust 10 W (2034)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 93% (0841) to a low of 55% (2259)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 41° to 26°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.41"(0024) to 30.26"(1611)                                                                                                                                       

At midnight obs the temp was 48.1° (VP2)/48.7°(RS), Clear, Winds WSW@4, Pressure at 30.40" and rising, humidity 56% with dew pt of 33°.    

Currently at 0229 EST, the temp is 42.6° (VP2), 43.2° (RS), Clear, Winds WSW @ 2, Pressure at 30.45" and rising, humidity 67% (VP2), dew pt 32°.

Currently radar is showing rain in western KY and TN, much of AR, and SE MO, along with very scattered light snow shower activity in the northern New England mountains spilling over a bit into upstate NY at this time.

Kevin the snowywalrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Thursday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Thursday, January 10, 2013

Thursday was mostly sunny and milder than Wednesday, with high temps reaching into the 50s. Mild and cloudy overnight into Friday morning, with lows in the upper 30s. Friday should be cloudy with high temps a bit lower in the upper 40s, with a 50 POP for showers, continuing into the evening. Saturday should dry out under partly cloudy skies and high temps in the upper 50s. Still mild Saturday night with lows in the 40s with more clouds, continuing into Sunday with the clouds, high temps up in the 60s. Cooling off as we start off the new week with a 30-50% POP for showers on Monday and Tuesday, with highs falling into the 40s and lows around 30.  No real major cool-down  the rest of the week, somewhat seasonably mild conditions mostly in the 40s for highs and upper 20s to lower 30s for low temperatures.  No big rain/snow makers on the horizon either. 

Thursday's precipitation: 0
January total precipitation: 0.01"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 0.01"

High temp 53.1° VP2 (1505)(54.0 RS)
Low temp 38.3° VP2 (0743) (38.5 RS)
Obs temp 41.9° VP2 42.4° (RS)    
Peak wind gust 11 NW (0903)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 69% (0206) to a low of 40% (1526)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 33° to 28°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.62"(1021) to 30.39"(0011)                                                                                                                                       
At midnight obs the temp was 41.9° (VP2)/42.4°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.52" and steady, humidity 66% with dew point of 31°.    

Currently at 0214 EST, the temp is 39.1° (VP2), 39.2° (RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.50" and falling, humidity 70% (VP2), dew point of 30°.

Currently radar is showing an extensive area of rain through a large part of the midwest, through most of MI, IL and IN and associated bordering states at this time.

Kevin the snowywalrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Friday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Friday, January 11, 2013

Friday was cloudy and cooler, sprinkles in the morning and light showers in the late afternoon/early evening. Later evening saw fog forming and it is pretty dense out there right now with occasional drizzle. The fog should remain overnight with temps varying little, staying in the low 40s along with the dew point. Saturday should see the fog burn off by late morning, but remain cloudy with high temps in the upper 50s with patchy drizzle possible. Remaining cloudy and mild overnight Saturday into Sunday, with lows in the 40s and highs in the 60s. Sunday night and Monday will remain cloudy and mild, with a 50 POP for showers. Monday night colder air should start filtering in, with lows in the 30s and highs on Tuesday in the upper 30s with a 40 POP for rain or snow. The rest of the week should clear out with seasonable temps in the low 40s by day and 20s in the nighttime hours.  Still no big rain/snow makers on the horizon. 

Friday's precipitation: 0.09" (LR) 0.08" (VP2) Max rain rate 0.11"@1620
January total precipitation: 0.10"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 0.10"

High temp 45.3° VP2 (1312)(46.0 RS)
Low temp 34.3° VP2 (0701) (34.5 RS)
Obs temp 41.9° VP2 42.4° (RS)    
Peak wind gust 8 E (1350)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (2149) to a low of 65% (0052)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 42° to 29°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.52"(0000) to 30.12"(2141)                                                                                                                                         
At midnight obs the temp was 41.9° (VP2)/42.4°(RS), Cloudy/Foggy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.13" and steady, humidity 96% with dew pt of 41°.

Currently at 0448 EST, the temp is 41.5° (VP2), 42.1° (RS), Cloudy/Dense Fog, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.14" and steady, humidity 96% (VP2), dew pt 41°.

Currently radar is showing some possible light snow in far NE Maine into New Brunswick, and also some rain activity in AL and GA.

Kevin the snowlesswalrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Saturday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday, January 12, 2013

Saturday started out very cloudy, damp with some occasional drizzle, and most notably, fog, dense at times.  Mild overnight, temps stayed in the 40s. The fog burned off by late morning/early afternoon on Saturday, and the sun came out through partial cloudiness, and rose up well into the 50s.  Saturday night low clouds/fog returned, dense fog at times, and continued mild temps in the 40s. The fog and low clouds should burn off in the late morning of Sunday, similar to Saturday, with partly cloudy afternoon skies and highs up in the upper 50s.  Sunday night should be cloudy with a 50 POP for showers and continued mild temps in the 40s. Monday should be cloudy with rain (70 POP) and high temps in the low-mid 50s. Monday night cloudy and a bit cooler with lows in the mid  30s. Tuesday cloudy and cooler, with highs in the 30s. Tuesday night cloudy with rain, probably changing over to snow late with lows in the mid-30s. Cloudy on Wednesday with highs in the low-mid 40s, lows in the 30s. Thursday and Friday should be sunny to partly cloudy, with highs in the low 40s and lows in the upper 30s. First look at the weekend is for partly cloudy and seasonably cold, nothing significantly changing at this point.  Still no big rain/ snow makers on the horizon. 

Saturday's precipitation: T 
January total precipitation: 0.10"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 0.10"

High temp 57.5° VP2 (1532)(58.3 RS)
Low temp 41.4° VP2 (0418) (42.1 RS)
Obs temp 44.6° VP2 45.5° (RS)    
Peak wind gust 5 SE (1342)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0511) to a low of 76% (1527)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 50° to 40°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.20"(1037) to 30.12"(0042)                                                                                                                            
At midnight obs the temp was 44.6° (VP2)/45.5°(RS), Cloudy/Foggy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.15" and steady, humidity 94% with dew pt of 43°.    

Currently at 0540 EST, the temp is 44.2° (VP2), 45.3° (RS), Cloudy/Dense Fog, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.08" and falling, humidity 97% (VP2), dew pt 43°.

Currently radar is showing a line of showers cutting through the Midwest, oriented SW/NE, running through SE MI, NW OH, E IN and western KY with some snow/mixed precip in more northerly stretches of central lower MI.

Kevin the snowlesswalrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Sunday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Sunday, January 13, 2013

Sunday continued the generally cloudy and mild conditions that have prevailed of late. Also the fog, dense at times, in the early morning hours, then lifting by mid-day, but then coming back in the late evening, though mostly light so far. Showers are showing on the radar out to our west, so should come in overnight, with an 80 POP. Monday fog will burn off but remain cloudy with a continued 80 POP for rain through the day, with highs in the 50s. Good chances for rain continue through Monday night (60 POP), then Tuesday (70 POP) then a 50 POP Tuesday night with rain possibly changing to snow late. Cloudy on Wednesday with highs in the 40s, then clearing off the rest of the week, with lows in the mid-upper 20s and highs in the low-mid 40s.  Still no big rain/snow storms on the horizon. 

Sunday's precipitation: 0.01" (LR) 0.01" (VP2) 
January total precipitation: 0.11"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 0.11"

High temp 53.7° VP2 (1606)(55.6 RS)
Low temp 43.8° VP2 (0220) (44.8 RS)
Obs temp 53.4° VP2 55.6° (RS)    
Peak wind gust 7 E (1151)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (0911) to a low of 94% (0000)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 53° to 43°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.15"(0000) to 29.98"(2342)                                                                                                                                         
At midnight obs the temp was 53.4° (VP2)/55.6° (RS), Cloudy/Foggy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.98" and falling, humidity 98% with dew pt of 53°.  

Currently at 0208 EST, the temp is 54.6° (VP2), 56.8° (RS), Cloudy/Light Fog, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.00" and rising, humidity 98% (VP2), dew pt 54°.

Currently radar is showing a broken line of showers out to my west and southwest, in parts of western Maryland, PA, and WV, heading this way.

Kevin the snowlesswalrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Monday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Monday, January 14, 2013

Monday started out mild and cloudy, but gradually got cooler throughout the day with mostly evening light rain. A cold light overnight rain is now falling (100 POP), with temps sliding down into the upper 30s. Rain will be the word again on Tuesday, with high temps in the low 40s. Rain should change over to a mix of snow and/or sleet on Tuesday night as temps fall into the low-mid 30s (100 POP). Wednesday should see precipitation turn back to rain (70 POP) with highs in the low 40s. Thereafter the rest of the week should start to clear up, with seasonable high temps around 40 or low 40s and low temps in the mid-upper 20s. The weekend looks to keep this pattern up, only getting a little colder with highs in the upper 30s.

Monday's precipitation: 0.18" (LR) 0.18" (VP2) Max rain rate (MRR) 0.18" @ 2249 
January total precipitation: 0.29"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 0.29"

High temp 57.9° VP2 (0349)(60.3 RS)
Low temp 39.3° VP2 (0220) (41.4 RS)
Obs temp 39.3° VP2 41.4° (RS)    
Peak wind gust 15 N (1128)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 99% (0049) to a low of 62% (1834)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 58° to 36°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.33"(2219) to 29.96"(0328)                                                                                                                                       
At midnight obs the temp was 39.3° (VP2)/41.4° (RS), Cloudy/Light Rain, Winds 3 N, Pressure at 30.31" and falling, humidity 93% with dew pt of 38°.    

Currently at 0230 EST, the temp is 38.8° (VP2), 40.6° (RS), Cloudy/Light Rain, Winds 1 MPH NE, Pressure at 30.27" and falling, humidity 95% (VP2), dew pt 38°. VP2 rainfall since midnight: 0.16"

Currently radar is showing rain through most of the region but moving east, with precipitation gradually clearing out of the WV and western MD mountains.

Kevin the snowlesswalrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Tuesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Tuesday was cloudy, cool and damp, with mostly very early AM rain and then later on in the evening for the most part. Still raining out there, temperature is just above freezing. Got a report from a friend up near the PA border (Manchester MD 1SW - at just a bit over 1000 ft above sea level) about tonight- he has a coating of freezing rain - temp of 31 most all evening- also occasional sleet. Also saw a picture of snow falling and on the ground in a parking lot in Shippensburg PA earlier this evening. Rain should continued overnight (100 POP), occasionally mixed with sleet at times, with temps around/just above freezing. Rain in the morning should give way to clearing in the afternoon, with high temps in the low 40s. Sunny and seasonable through the rest of the week,with highs in the low 40s/40 and lows in the mid-upper 20s after 30s tonight.  Over the weekend colder air will start working in, with a 30 POP for snow showers on MLK/Inauguration Day Monday,then our coldest air of the season on Tuesday with highs expected to stay below freezing all day under sunny/ partly cloudy skies. Big changes upcoming, and looks like will remain in force for most of the rest of the month.

Tuesday's precipitation: 0.67" (LR) 0.58" (VP2) Max rain rate (MRR) 0.20" @ 2104 
January total precipitation: 0.96"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 0.96"

High temp 39.9° VP2 (1125)(41.9 RS)
Low temp 34.8° VP2 (2352) (36.7 RS)
Obs temp 34.8° VP2 36.7° (RS)    
Peak wind gust 7 N (1033)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (0300) to a low of 91% (1147)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 39° to 34°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.36"(1013) to 30.17"(2349)                                                                                                                                         
At midnight obs the temp was 34.8° (VP2)/36.7° (RS), Cloudy/Light Rain, Winds 3 NW, Pressure at 30.18" and falling, humidity 96% with dew pt of 34°.    

Currently at 0235 EST, the temp is 34.2° (VP2), 36.0° (RS), Cloudy/Light Rain, Winds 1 MPH NNE, Pressure at 30.17" and falling, humidity 97% (VP2), dew pt 34°. VP2 rainfall since midnight: 0.37" MRR since midnight 0.34" @ 0108

Currently radar is showing snow/mixed precipitation throughout most all of PA, moving down south into MD, mixed precip line now in northern Montgomery County,just a few miles to my north. Lots of precip also in most of VA and WV, much of it mixed precip/snow, esp in elevations above 1000 feet.

Kevin the snowlesswalrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Wednesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Wednesday was another cloudy, cool and damp day, with once again mostly AM rain (0000-0300 and 0600-1000) and then later on in the evening with only a little bit more. Temperatures once again remained in the 30s, very similiar to Tuesday.  Just cloudy out there now, temps holding in the upper 30s though there still is a 40 POP for overnight showers. Cloudy on Thursday with highs in the upper 30s and a 50 POP for rain to develop and then possibly change over to snow and continue into the evening. My immediate area is on the northern limit for the storm according to the latest snowfall forecast maps, which seem to be changing and dropping further south with each model run.  We might not get anything, we might get a dusting, we might get 1-2 inches. Areas to the south between DC and Richmond VA could get 6-10 inches or possibly more. We will see. We should clear out late Thursday night with lows in the upper 20s, so icy roads could still develop for the Friday morning commute. Friday should be sunny to partly cloudy with highs in the mid-upper 30s. Warmer on SW breezes on Saturday with partly cloudy skies and high temps up in the 40s. Thereafter we should start cooling off, with highs in the 30s on Sunday, a 30 POP for snow showers on Sunday night and Monday, lows in the 20s and highs in the 30s. On Monday and Tuesday we may have high temps only to the freezing mark or possibly a little below, with lows well down in the low 20s if not upper teens, which if it does would be the coldest temps of the season so far.  So pretty big changes coming, and they look like they will remain in force for most of the rest of the month.

Wednesday's precipitation: 0.62" (LR) 0.58" (VP2) Max rain rate (MRR) 0.34" @ 0110 
January total precipitation: 1.58"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 1.58"

High temp 39.3° VP2 (2301)(41.5 RS)
Low temp 34.1° VP2 (0129) (36.0 RS)
Obs temp 39.3° VP2 41.5° (RS)    
Peak wind gust 12 NW (1033)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (1253) to a low of 96% (0000)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 39° to 33°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.19"(0022) to 29.85"(1306)                                                                                                                                         
At midnight obs the temp was 39.3° (VP2)/41.5° (RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.99" and steady, humidity 98% with dew pt of 39°.    

Currently at 0240 EST, the temp is 39.5° (VP2), 41.7° (RS), Cloudy, Winds 1 MPH from the SW, Pressure at 30.03" and rising, humidity 98% (VP2), dew pt 39°. 

Currently radar is rain sliding off to the south and east of my area, with light mixed precip scattered to the west and north in sections of WV and PA. Also some light snow showers up in northern NY state and northern New England. More precip echoes scattered liberally throughout much of the SE US.

Kevin the snowlesswalrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Thursday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Thursday, January 17, 2013

Well the snow never came today so we had a cloudy Thursday with nary a drop of snow. It also stayed pretty mild during the day, with temps in the upper 30s and lower 40s. Snow stayed far to the south and west, as a complex set of variables that we always need to come through just so did not get together in time and also a blocking HIGH to our north kept the dry air in. We remain cloudy tonight but should clear off soon and Friday will be a sunny and cold day, with highs in the mid 30s and lows in the 20s. Saturday should see a brief warmup into the 40s but then the temps should start sliding off and remain below freezing even during the day during much of the upcoming new week. There is a 30 POP for snow showers on Sunday night and Monday as the cold air filters in. Upper 20s for high temps on Tuesday and Wednesday should prove to be the coldest days of the season so far, with lows around 20 or upper teens perhaps. So at least a change to cold is happening, even if we can't get any snow. So pretty big changes coming, and they look like they will remain in force for most of the rest of the month.

Thursday's precipitation: 0.01" (LR) 0.01" (VP2)  
January total precipitation: 1.59"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 1.59"

High temp 42.7° VP2 (1218)(45.1 RS)
Low temp 37.0° VP2 (2319) (39.1 RS)
Obs temp 37.0° VP2 39.2° (RS)    
Peak wind gust 11 N (0851)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (0000) to a low of 63% (0639)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 39° to 29°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.16"(0922) to 29.99"(0000)                                                                                                                                         
At midnight obs the temp was 37.0° (VP2)/39.2° (RS), Cloudy, Winds 1 NNW, Pressure at 30.07" and falling, humidity 77% with dew pt of 30°.    

Currently at 0228 EST, the temp is 35.7° (VP2), 37.8° (RS), Cloudy, Winds 2 WNW, Pressure at 30.16" and rising, humidity 74% (VP2), dew pt 28°. 

Currently radar is showing rain/mixed precip moving east off the East Coast, along with some snow showers over parts of Pennsylvania. 

Kevin the still snowlesswalrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Friday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Friday, January 18, 2013

Friday was mostly sunny with scattered clouds, blustery at times and a bit chilly. Tonight skies are clear but for some reason temps are not dropping off as much as expected, with forecasted lows in the mid 20s but temps at 3:30 AM are still hovering around 30.  Over the weekend we should be sunny and milder with highs in the upper 40s on Saturday and mid 40s on Sunday. Lows in the upper 20s to lower 30s. Sunday night we should start to cool off with increasing chances (up to 30 POP) for snow showers continuing into Monday. Highs on Monday in the 30s with lows Monday night dropping through the 20s. Tuesday and Wednesday we now are looking at sunny with the coldest temps of the season, with highs in the mid 20s. Lows Tuesday night could be in the low teens. Highs on Thursday with continued sunny skies should moderate a bit into the low 30s,but still cold. Dry, but some indications are for a possible snowstorm at the end of the week (Friday/Saturday) - we shall see if that develops as that time moves closer to the present.

Friday's precipitation: 0  

Data for Friday as follows:                                                                                                                                                       High Temp 37.1° VP2 (0001)(39.2 RS)
Low temp 29.2° VP2 (2250) (30.9 RS)
Obs temp 30.1° VP2 32.2° (RS)    
Peak wind gust 20 N (0929)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 79% (0011) to a low of 40% (1433)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 31° to 12°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.51"(1102) to 30.07"(0010)                                                                                                                                         
At midnight obs the temp was 30.1° (VP2)/32.2° (RS), Clear, Winds 2 ESE, Pressure at 30.43" and falling, humidity 70% with dew pt of 21°.

Currently at 0357 EST, the temp is 29.7° (VP2), 31.1° (RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.39" and falling, humidity 78% (VP2), dew pt 24°. 

Currently radar is showing possible light snow showers over parts of Northern NY State and New England. They may or may not be reaching the ground, but in the mountains it probably is reaching the slopes/ski runs.

Kevin the snowlesswalrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Saturday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday, January 19, 2013

Saturday was mostly sunny and a bit warmer than predicted, with temps reaching the mid 50s by mid afternoon. Clear tonight and remaining mild, with temps still above 40 at almost 4 AM, lows in the upper 30s by sunrise. Sunday should be sunny and still mild, highs in the upper 40s. Clouding up Sunday night and gradually turning a bit colder, with lows around 30. Monday should be mostly cloudy with highs around 40 and a 50 POP for snow showers scattered about during the day and evening (40 POP in the evening). Lows on Monday night dropping down to 20. with scattered clouds, blustery at times and a bit chilly. Tuesday and Wednesday still look like the coldest days of the season so far, and our first days of sub-freezing maximum temperatures - with highs in the mid 20s. Lows will be in the teens, also our first time that cold for minimums this winter. Thursday won't warm up much, highs still below freezing (around 30) with clouds increasing late. Friday should be cloudy with high temps in the mid 30s and a 40 POP as of now for a mixed bag of snow, sleet and/or freezing rain falling. Friday night a 40 POP for snow showers and lows around 20. Saturday should clear out and remain cold, with a high temperature around 30.  So definitely the coldest week of the season, with plenty of winter weather - by the end of the week perhaps some local ponds will be freezing over. More to be worked out for that end-of-the-week storm, I am still holding out hope for a pure snow event, one we are way overdue for.

Saturday's precipitation: 0  

High temp 55.5° VP2 (1508)(57.7 RS)
Low temp 29.1° VP2 (0427) (30.6 RS)
Obs temp 43.0° VP2 44.8° (RS)    
Peak wind gust 13 SW (2253)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 82% (0811) to a low of 35% (1508)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 31° to 21°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.43"(0000) to 29.97"(2356)                                                                                                                                      
At midnight obs the temp was 43.0° (VP2)/44.8° (RS), Clear, Winds 2 SW, Pressure at 29.97" and falling, humidity 58% with dew pt of 29°.   

Currently at 0430 EST, the temp is 40.2° (VP2), 41.7° (RS), Clear, Winds 1 WSW, Pressure at 29.88" and falling, humidity 65% (VP2), dew pt 29°. 

Currently radar is showing light snow over most of Maine, lighter, scattered snow over parts of lower Michigan, and possible snow/rain shower activity in the Buffalo NY- Toronto ON - Hamilton ON areas of western Lake Ontario. Hard to tell in all these areas how much of the snow on radar is reaching the ground. More likely in higher mountain areas, such as parts of interior Maine.  

Kevin the snowlesswalrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Sunday morning.

Combined Sunday-Monday Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for January 20-21, 2013

I was in Baltimore from late Sunday afternoon through late Monday afternoon so sorry I could not post my daily report last night. My VP2 weather station recorded all my data for Sunday, faithfully as I checked and recorded it earlier Monday evening. Nothing really special about Sunday, sunny, mild conditions, one of the milder January days (so far) but not the mildest. High temp was 56.5 @ 1129, low temp 34.7 @ 2359. Morning min was 37.5 @ 0650. No precip, breezy at times, PWG was 20 MPH from the W @ 1342. Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.11" @ 2331 to 29.85" @ 1215. Humidity ranged from 69% @ 0619 to 22% @ 1532. Dew point ranged from 34 to 10. Obs temp was 34.7 (M on the RS), Clear, Winds 3 NNW, Press. at 30.11 and steady, Humidity at 47%, dew pt 17.

Monday was mostly sunny once again and mild in the AM and early PM hours, but around sunset the big cold front came through and the winds picked up and the temperatures started to drop.  On the way home from Baltimore I noticed some snow shower clouds in the sky to my NW, but I never saw any flakes fall unfortunately. Temperatures have fallen through the 30s this evening and now into the 20s. Winds still blowing steady out of the NW.  Temps overnight should drop to around 20, a chance for a flurry or two though radar pretty clear right now.  On Tuesday and Wednesday we should see high temps in the mid 20s, lows in the mid teens, with winds NW and breezy, gusty at times, with near zero wind chills at times. Wednesday night we may see another round of flurries. Thursday should be partly sunny and cold, but not quite as cold, with winds abating somewhat. Highs in the upper 20s, low around 20. Friday night shows clouds, highs in the upper 20s once again, with a 70 POP for snow or snow and sleet and freezing rain (some combination thereof). Then clearing and cold once again over the weekend, with highs in the upper 20s to low 30s and lows in the teens or lower 20s. So the next 7 days will all be below normal, and most of the days if not all the days should be below freezing all of the time. If it can make it through Sunday, that 6 day streak would be the longest one in a few years, I will have to research that if I get the chance sometime this week.

High temp 44.2° VP2 (1549)(M RS)
Low temp 28.7° VP2 (2357) (28.8 RS)(Morning min on VP2 was 29.0 @ 0645)
Obs temp 28.7° VP2 28.8° (RS)    
Peak wind gust 18 N (2204)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 62% (0352) to a low of 44% (1853)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 27° to 12°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.12"(0017) to 29.82"(1631)                                                                                                                                        

At midnight obs the temp was 28.7° (VP2)/28.8° (RS), Clear, Winds 7 WNW, Pressure at 29.98" and rising, humidity 55% with dew pt of 14°.    

Currently at 0136 EST, the temp is 25.4° (VP2), 25.3° (RS), Clear, Winds 8 NW, Pressure at 30.01" and rising, humidity 47% (VP2), dew pt 8°.

Currently radar is showing snow over Eastern New England (mostly MA) and also scattered lake effect snow over most of the Great Lake states.

Kevin the snowlesswalrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Tuesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Tuesday was by far our coldest day of the winter so far. It was the first day we stayed below freezing all day. We should do it again tomorrow and Thursday, and we very well may do it through Sunday. Low temps tonight should reach the low teens here, single digits out to my north and west,  with dew pt temps around 0 to just below 0. High temps should once again be in the mid 20s. Today's high temp was reached just after midnight, my afternoon high temp today was only 23.6° @ 1450 EST.  We may get a short round of snow flurries Wednesday night (late) - perhaps up to an inch of fluffy snow in some places. Short lived, and it will fall if it does when most will be asleep. Thursday might be a bit warmer, with highs in the upper 20s. Friday might have another period of light snow or sleet/snow combo, with high temps around 30-32. Sunny again over the weekend, with highs in the 20s and lows in the teens on Saturday, then upper 20s on Sunday with lows in the low 20s as milder air starts working in, with partly cloudy skies on Monday and highs above freezing into the 30s. By then we should have almost a full week of temps below freezing all the time, and lakes and ponds around this area should be pretty frozen by then. Too bad we won't have much of a snow cover to keep us colder.

High temp 28.7° VP2 (0000)(28.8 RS)(Afternoon max 23.6 @ 1450)
Low temp 15.7° VP2 (2358) (15.3 RS)
Obs temp 15.8° VP2 15.8° (RS)    
Peak wind gust 23 SW (0205)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 56% (2343) to a low of 32% (1346)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 14° to -3°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.33"(2359) to 29.97"(0001)                                                                                                                                       
At midnight obs the temp was 15.8° (VP2)/15.3° (RS), Clear, Winds 5 NW, Pressure at 30.33" and rising, humidity 55% with dew pt of 2°.    

Currently at 0225 EST, the temp is 14.6° (VP2), 14.0° (RS), Clear, Winds Calm. Pressure at 30.33" and steady, humidity 60% (VP2), dew pt 3°. 

Currently radar is showing snow showers/squalls over parts of the Great Lakes region.

Kevin the snowlesswalrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Wednesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Wednesday statistically was our coldest day of the season, colder than yesterday on both the max and min. The wind dropped off a bit and most of the day was sunny, so it didn't feel quite as cold during the afternoon, IMHO. This evening clouds increased ahead of a clipper system coming in from the NW, and snow has broken out here just after obs time tonight so all the snow stats will be on tomorrow's (Thursday's) report. The snow should keep up off and on overnight, and be over around sunrise or a bit later. Thursday should turn out sunny and cold, with high temps in the mid 20s, lows in the teens. Friday another clipper system should invade the area with light snow in the afternoon and evening, with highs in the 20s and lows in the teens. The weekend looks sunny and cold, but not as cold as it has been, with highs in the low-mid 30s and lows mostly in the low 20s. Next week it looks like it will be warming up, with temps of 40 on Monday and well into the 40s on Tuesday and Wednesday, with a 30 POP for rain showers, not snow unfortunately. So our cold snap will come up a bit short of a week in length.  

Wednesday's precipitation: 0  

High temp 26.1° VP2 (1534)(26.1 RS)
Low temp 11.7° VP2 (0531) (11.1 RS)
Obs temp 22.6° VP2 22.5° (RS)    
Peak wind gust 14 SW (0959)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 73% (0532) to a low of 35% (1519)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 9° to 0°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.38"(0956) to 30.17"(2352)                                                                                                                                      
At midnight obs the temp was 22.6° (VP2)/22.5° (RS), Cloudy, Winds 3 NE, Pressure at 30.17" and falling, humidity 56% with dew pt of 9°.    

Currently at 0227 EST, the temp is 19.2° (VP2), 19.0° (RS), Cloudy/Light snow, Winds 1 MPH from the ENE. Pressure at 30.14" and falling, humidity 84% (VP2), dew pt 15°.  Estimated snowfall so far (since just after midnight) 0.4"

Currently radar is showing light snow falling over the Washington DC area, including my house.

Kevin the snowlesswalrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Thursday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Thursday, January 24, 2013

Overnight early on Thursday morning we had light snow that sure made things around here much prettier! A fluffy, dry snow, it coated everything easily as our sub-freezing temps held it together well, including throughout the day on Thursday with sun/puffy cumulus clouds at times but with another sub-freezing day in the mid 20s. Tonight we are back in the teens, headed for the low teens by sunrise, though clouds from our next clipper system should be coming in sometime during the morning hours.  Highs on Friday should be in the 20s again, with light snow starting to fall in the early-mid afternoon. We look to get 1-2 inches of more fluffy snow through sometime in the evening hours, when we will go back down into the teens. A gradual warmup will commence over the weekend. We may stay below freezing one more day (Saturday) but it will be close- highs in the low 30s. Sunday should see us go a bit above the freezing mark, into the mid-upper 30s. Monday we should warm up more, around 40 or in the low 40s and lows in the upper 20s, then approaching 50 on Tuesday under a return/zonal flow. 50s on Wednesday and Thursday with a chance of rain and lows only around 40. A stormier, colder pattern may return thereafter according to some model outputs, but that far out all sure bets are off and we shall just have to see what develops, and what changes to the pattern may happen.  And we will then be approaching the beginning of February, and also Ground Hog Day on February 2. 

Thursday's precipitation: 0.06" (LR) (nothing out of the VP2 - snow still in there, has to melt first to get any readings)  
Thursday's snowfall: 1.0"
January total snowfall: 1.0"
Snow on ground: 1"
Seasonal snow/sleet: 5.1"
January total precipitation: 1.65"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 1.65"

High temp 27.2° VP2 (1450)(27.1 RS)
Low temp 16.1° VP2 (0531) (15.4 RS)
Obs temp 16.1° VP2 15.9° (RS)    
Peak wind gust 19 NW (1211)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 87% (0549) to a low of 39% (1452)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 15° to 4°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.55"(2334) to 30.13"(0248)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight obs the temp was 16.1° (VP2)/15.9° (RS), Clear, Winds 2 NNW, Pressure at 30.54" and steady, humidity 65% with dew pt of 6°.    

Currently at 0149 EST, the temp is 15.5° (VP2), 14.9° (RS), Clear, Winds 2 MPH from the NNW. Pressure at 30.53" and steady, humidity 67% (VP2), dew pt 6°. 

Currently radar is showing light snow falling over a large area of the Midwest, including the states of IA, WI, IL, MI and IN at this time. This snow is headed this way for Friday afternoon/evening. 

Kevin the now snowy walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Friday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Friday, January 25, 2013

Well 2 days in a row with snow - amazing!  Friday's snow came later in the day than Thursday, with snow falling between 1400 and about 1730. I left work early to beat the traffic crunch and also so I could observe the snow closer at home while still light. Another dry snow, and now we are building up a snowpack! <g> Temps rose from early morning lows in the mid teens to the low 20s just before the snow started, then slid off a bit during the snow to sink to 19 just after the snow ended, then started to rise again slowly as we progressed through the evening and into the early morning hours of Saturday. There are still a few stray snow showers in the region, so we have a 20 POP for additional snow showers overnight but more accumulations are unlikely. Mostly sunny on Saturday and Sunday, with a slow warming trend starting. We might stay below freezing on Saturday in the low 30s but on Sunday we should go over the 32 mark and hit up into the mid-upper 30s. Overnight temps dropping into the teens Saturday night but Sunday night with clouds incrreasing we should only drop into the upper 20s at coldest. There is also a 40 POP for freezing rain or rain overnight into Monday morning. Temps on Monday should top just over the 40 mark under partly cloudy skies. Tuesday and Wednesday will show a major warmup well into the 50s on both days, with a 50 POP for rain on Wednesday. Lows above freezing, mid-upper 30s on Tuesday to low 40s on Wednesday. Thereafter the rest of the week should cool back down, but not as cold as we have been this past week.  We will then be approaching the beginning of February, and also Ground Hog Day on the 2nd. 

Friday's precipitation: 0.06"(LR) (nothing out of the VP2 - snow still in there, has to melt first to get any readings - maybe some day I will get a heater as some have suggested)  
Friday's snowfall: 0.8"
January total snowfall: 1.8"
Snow on ground: 2"
Seasonal snow/sleet: 5.9"
January total precipitation: 1.71"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 1.71"

High temp 23.9° VP2 (1345)(23.7 RS)
Low temp 14.9° VP2 (0357) (14.2 RS)
Obs temp 21.6° VP2 21.4° (RS)    
Peak wind gust 9 E (1254)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 87% (1918) to a low of 48% (1149)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 18° to 4°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.55"(0208) to 30.10"(2217)                                                                                                                                      
At midnight obs the temp was 21.6° (VP2)/21.4° (RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.12" and steady, humidity 86% with dew pt of 18°.    

Currently at 0356 EST, the temp is 22.1° (VP2), 21.9° (RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.15" and rising, humidity 87% (VP2), dew pt 19°. 

Currently radar is showing a few widely scattered light snow showers over the region, heading SE out of PA and WV, and over northern MD,  diminishing in size and intensity as the night progresses.

Kevin the now snowy walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Saturday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday, January 26, 2013

Well technically we made it 3 days in a row with snow on Saturday, but just a few light flurries that only amounted to a Trace and didn't really add to the total already on the ground. And we got above freezing for the first time since late Monday - I went a total of 111 hours and 50 minutes of sub-freezing temperatures during this time period. Local ponds are definitely frozen solid right now. My 33.3 high on Saturday didn't put much of a dent in the ice and snow actually though more of the streets and sidewalks got cleaned off. Tonight clouds remain and temps have only lowered into the mid 20s. On Sunday we should be sunny with highs in the mid 30s. Clouds in the evening with lows in the upper 20s to around 30, with a 40 POP for freezing rain by early Monday morning, that should turn over fairly quickly to just plain rain (50 POP) as highs on Monday head up to the 40 mark.  - amazing! Tuesday the high temp should reach the 50 mark or a bit above under cloudy skies, lows in the 30s. A 50 POP for rain showers on Wednesday and a balmy high into the 60s, a 70 POP Wednesday night for rain showers with lows in the 30s. Thursday should turn cooler with highs in the low 40s under partly cloudy skies, then low 30s on Friday and Saturday with a 30 POP for snow showers on Friday. Lows mostly in the 20s.  Thursday is the beginning of February, and then Friday is Ground Hog Day. Will the ground hog see his shadow? I think he will, whatever worth that is.  

Saturday's precipitation: T (LR) (0.03" melted out of the VP2 - with 0.02" actually melting out @ 1500)   
Saturday's snowfall: T
Snow on ground: 2"

High temp 33.3° VP2 (1304)(33.8 RS)
Low temp 21.6° VP2 (0000) (21.2 RS)
Obs temp 24.2° VP2 23.7° (RS)    
Peak wind gust 11 NW (1522)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 87% (0301) to a low of 64% (1428)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 24° to 18°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.47"(2355) to 30.12"(0000)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight obs the temp was 24.2° (VP2)/23.7° (RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.47" and rising, humidity 87% with dew pt of 21°.    

Currently at 0531 EST, the temp is 26.3° (VP2), 26.1° (RS), Clear, Winds 2 NNE, Pressure at 30.52" and rising, humidity 74% (VP2), dew pt 19°. 

Currently radar is showing light snow over NE WI entering into western MI, and mixed precipitation in SW WI, northern IL, parts of eastern MO, gradually heading east at this time.

Kevin the now snowy walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Sunday morning

Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Sunday, January 27, 2013

No snow on Sunday and temps rose into the balmy mid 30s in the afternoon after lows in the 20s in the earlier morning hours. High clouds through sun most of the afternoon as our next storm approaches from the W and SW.  We have a winter weather advisory posted for freezing rain overnight, which should begin before the morning rush hour. The Federal Govt who I work for is having a delayed opening on Monday, so I don't have to report till noon at the latest, and they want to keep people off the roads till 10 AM, when they figure the temps will warm over the freezing mark. So far radar shows precipitation over us right now, but it hasn't reached the ground yet. Temps are right at freezing right now, they have been rising very slowly all evening and into the early morning hours.  Light rain should continue off and on on Monday as temps rise into the upper 30s. Temps should hold there Monday night, then turn partly cloudy on Tuesday with highs reaching into the 50s. Cloudy and a 90 POP for showers on Wednesday with high temps in the low 60s. Mild Wednesday night with a continued chance for rain showers (60 POP) then clearing off and cooler on Thursday with highs in the 40s, lows in the upper 20s. Friday should see continued cooling, with high temps in the 30s and a 30 POP for snow showers as winter returns. The weekend looks sunny and seasonably cold, with high temps in the 30s and lows in the low 20s as we enter the month of February. Clarification on what I said last night, Friday is February 1 and Saturday is Ground Hog Day, February 2. Thanks to Rick and Bob for pointing that out to me and to provide proof that someone out there actually reads closely what I write.

Sunday's precipitation: 0 (LR) (an additional 0.02" melted out of the VP2 on Sunday BTW)   
Sunday's snowfall: 0
Snow on ground: 1"

High temp 37.2° VP2 (1455)(37.0 RS)
Low temp 24.2° VP2 (0000) (23.7 RS)
Obs temp 30.9° VP2 31.3° (RS)    
Peak wind gust 7 NW (1348)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 88% (0016) to a low of 52% (1506)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 23° to 18°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.63"(1015) to 30.47"(0000)                                                                                                                                      
At midnight obs the temp was 30.9° (VP2)/31.3° (RS), Cloudy, Winds 2 E, Pressure at 30.53" and steady, humidity 72% with dew pt of 23°.    

Currently at 0309 EST, the temp is 32.0° (VP2), 32.4° (RS), Cloudy, Winds 4 SE, Pressure at 30.45" and falling, humidity 74% (VP2), dew pt 25°. 

Currently radar is showing light freezing precipitation over the area, coming in from the west and moving west to east through our region.

Kevin the now snowy walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Monday morning

Archived