Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
What's the Weather Where You are?

terpguy

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Wednesday was sunny and a bit cooler and drier, a pretty nice day. Took the day off to rest up and get myself straight. Didn't sleep well, and then I slept all morning and was still tired later on in the day. Now it's late and of course I am not tired. I will be able to get to sleep though. The rest of the week should be sunny, and getting warmer- in fact downright hot as we should get over the 90 mark on Friday, headed towards 95 unfortunately. I had a nice August going, not having hit 90 since August 9 and have only had 5 days with 90 or greater, but looks now like I will have 6, maybe 7 if we heat up a bit more than the expected upper 80s tomorrow (Thursday). Lows should be in the 60s. I don't think there is much of a chance to get below 60 here tonight- my dew point is 63 right now so usually that is an indication of how low the temp can go, since the air temp can't get lower than the dew point. Sunny through Saturday, then clouds should be on the increase on Sunday with a 30 POP for showers/storms, and a high in the upper 80s on Saturday as we start September, then cooling off to the low-mid 80s Sunday through Tuesday, with a 40 POP for now for showers/storms on Monday and Tuesday, as the remnants of Isaac track in from the Midwest. Isaac appears to be looping around the HIGH pressure that will be parking over the SE over the weekend. We will see how things work out- strong winds and tropical rains like they got in Louisiana and vicinity on Wednesday most likely will not be in our forecast Sunday-Tuesday.

Wednesday's precipitation: 0

August total precipitation: 5.21" Annual YTD precipitation total: 25.57"

VP2 data for Wednesday as follows:

High temp 81.4° (1721) (81.5° RS)

(RS stands for my Radio Shack wireless thermometer being used as a backup)

Low temp 62.2° (0657) (62.2° RS)

Obs temp tonight 66.9° (VP2) 66.7° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 7 MPH from the N (1211)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (0751) to a low of 50% (1752)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 65° to 60°.

Pressures ranged from 30.05"(1059) to 29.94"(0325).

At midnight obs, temp was 66.9°(VP2)/66.7°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure 30.04" and rising, Humidity 90% with a dew point of 64°.

Currently at 0221 EDT, the temp is 64.5°(VP2)/64.6°(RS), Clear, Calm, Pressure at 30.05" and steady, humidity 93% with the dew point at 63°.

Current radar shows showers retreating south through SC, barely on my Eastern Regional US radar screen.

Kevin the Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Thursday morning.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Thursday, August 30, 2012

Thursday was sunny and a bit warmer but still relatively dry, still a pretty nice day. Back to work, busy day. Should be clear tonight with lows dropping down in the mid 60s. Warming up a bit on Friday, with high temps reaching the 90 mark in most spots in the area, perhaps going a bit over in a few spots as we finish out August. Sunny with highs in the upper 80s on Saturday as we enter September, after a night in the upper 60s, then clouding up on Sunday with a 30 POP for showers later on in the day, highs in the 80s. Increasing chances for rain on Sunday night but especially on Monday and Tuesday, with a 50 POP as the remnants of Isaac move into the area. High temps in the low-mid 80s, lows around 70. Wednesday should stay cloudy with lesser chances (30 POP) for showers, with high temps in the upper 70s. Not sure how much rain will be coming our way- it will be spotty I think, some spots getting more than others, mostly showery conditions without a lot of wind for the most part.

Thursday's precipitation: 0

August total precipitation: 5.21"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 25.57"

VP2 data for Thursday as follows:

High temp 83.8° (1717) (84.2° RS)

Low temp 62.4° (0648) (62.6° RS)

Obs temp tonight 69.2° (VP2) 69.1° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 7 MPH from the N (1514)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 95% (0707) to a low of 53% (1548)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 69° to 61°.

Pressures ranged from 30.14"(1047) to 30.03"(0003).

At midnight obs, temp was 69.2°(VP2)/69.1°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure 30.11" and steady, Humidity 92% with a dew point of 67°.

Currently at 0204 EDT, the temp is 68.1°(VP2)/68.2°(RS), Clear, Calm, Pressure at 30.09" and steady, humidity 94% with the dew point at 66°.

Current radar shows showers showing up in AR and MS from the Isaac remains, also some showers up in northern Maine.

Kevin the Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Friday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Friday, August 31, 2012

Friday finished up the month of August with our hottest day since August 9, and only our sixth day with max temps of 90 or greater. Long-term normal (34 years of record) amount is 10.2. Sunny conditions with dew points creeping up over the 70 mark by the late afternoon. Tonight the temps have fallen some, but are still in the 70s at 3 AM and it is quite muggy out with nary a breeze that is typical in my backyard at this time of the night. We should reach the upper 60s by morning. Most of Saturday should be sunny and very warm, but just under the 90 mark. There is a slight chance of showers/storms (20 POP). Sunday should turn cloudy with increasing chances of showers/storms (40 POP) with highs in the low-mid 80s. Low temps should be in the upper 60s. Labor Day looks cloudy with a 60 POP for showers/storms as the moisture from the remains of Hurricane Isaac and a stalled frontal boundary set up shop here for a few days. Rain showers are about all that will be left from Isaac remains, the high winds have mostly left the system. High temps should be in the low 80s with lows in the upper 60s. Tuesday back to work but the rain chances lower only a little, to a 50 POP, with clouds and high temps once again in the low 80s. Partly cloudy on Wednesday, with highs in the mid 80s and a continued 50 POP for showers/storms. Thursday our rain chances go down to a 30 POP with partly sunny skies and highs in the mid 80s. Finally on Friday we should have sunny skies and no rain chance with highs in the low 80s as we work our way into September.

Friday's precipitation: 0

August total precipitation: 5.21"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 25.57"

VP2 data for Friday as follows:

High temp 90.3° (1718) (90.7° RS)

Low temp 65.6° (0643) (65.8° RS)

Obs temp tonight 74.6° (VP2) 74.5° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 7 MPH from the SW (1139)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0814) to a low of 42% (1359)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 72° to 62°.

Pressures ranged from 30.14"(1014) to 30.00"(1850).

At midnight obs, temp was 74.6°(VP2)/74.5°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure 30.04" and steady, Humidity 81% with a dew point of 68°.

Currently at 0404 EDT, the temp is 70.2°(VP2)/70.0°(RS), Clear, Calm, Pressure at 30.03" and steady, humidity 91% with the dew point at 68°.

Current radar shows Isaac remnant rain showers centered over central IL and parts of Missouri. Gradually they will be tracking eastward towards our area over the next few days. The eastern extent of the showers right now is in SW OH and parts of central KY.

Kevin the Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Saturday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Saturday, September 1, 2012

Saturday started out September on a very warm note, but with late afternoon clouds and showers/storms in the area that unfortunately missed my station totally. Showers/storms were training down from PA on a few NW/SE narrow lines, and my immediate area was in between these lines. Later, storms developed just to my SE, and ravaged parts of Washington DC and more southern Maryland and parts of southern VA in the evening. Muggy all day, tropical air moving in ahead of the remains of hurricane Isaac. We are not out of the woods by far with the remains, along with a stalled frontal boundary, as the next several days have good chances for showers/storms to develop. Cloudy skies should be the rule through mid-week, with a 60 POP on Sunday and highs in the mid 80s, a 70 POP on Monday with highs in the low 80s, lows around 70 both nights. ON Tuesday, there will be a 60 POP for showers, then a 50 POP on Wednesday, highs in the low 80s and muggy nights with lows of 70. Finally on Thursday we might see some sun under partly cloudy skies but still a 40 POP for showers/storms, with highs in the mid 80s. Thursday night and Friday we should finally dry out totally with sunny/clear skies and high temps in the low 80s and lows in the 60s. Saturday sunny skies and a high around 80 starts off the next weekend on the right foot. No flood watches/warnings out for my area posted so far for my area as yet, but they could be - stay tuned.

Saturday's precipitation: 0

September total precipitation: 0

August total precipitation: 5.24" (correction to total LR amount on August 28 - it should have been 0.05" so August total and Annual YTD amounts have now been adjusted.)

Annual YTD precipitation total: 25.60"

VP2 data for Saturday as follows:

High temp 87.6° (1611) (87.8° RS)

Low temp 69.9° (0420) (70.0° RS)

Obs temp tonight 75.3° (VP2) 75.2° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 6 MPH from the SW (1305)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 94% (0828) to a low of 63% (1537)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 76° to 67°.

Pressures ranged from 30.09"(1005) to 29.99"(1717).

At midnight obs temp was 75.3°(VP2)/75.2°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure 30.04" and steady, Humidity 88% with a dew point of 72°.

Currently at 0536 EDT, the temp is 71.2°(VP2)/71.1°(RS), Cloudy, Calm, Pressure at 30.02" and steady, humidity 94% with the dew point at 69°.

Current radar shows a few showers and dying storms in central VA, and offshore off Ocean City MD at this time. More showers and storms can be found in parts of many states to my W and NW, namely PA, WV, OH, IN, KY and IL, some from the remains of Isaac and some from the stalled frontal boundary. The NW/SE alignment of precipitation activity is still set up in OH/PA and WV, but has moved south a bit, so those storms don't look to be moving into my area, at least in the morning hours of Sunday.

Kevin the Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Sunday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Sunday, September 2, 2012

Sunday was a cloudy, muggy day with some light showers in the mid-afternoon. Temps stayed in the 70s as did the dew points for the most part. Flooding rains fell this evening just to my south in Washington DC (20 miles to my south) and elsewhere in the region. With weak winds/steering currents the heavy showers/storms from the Isaac remnants develop in areas and don't move much, leading to the flooding. I will have continued chances for heavy rains through Wednesday, as there isn't much movement to dislodge this tropical air over our area at this time. Monday looks to be cloudy, humid with highs in the low 80s and a 70 POP for showers/storms all day and evening that will extend into Tuesday. Wednesday looks like a repeat performance but with a slightly less chance (60 POP) for rain. Highs in the mid 80s - perhaps a bit of sun to nudge our temps a bit higher. Thursday the chances for rain lessen some more, to a 40 POP, with highs in the upper 80s and partly cloudy skies. Lows at night through Thursday night will mostly be around a muggy 70. First outlook for Friday and the weekend shows some nice days, with highs in the 80-85 range and lows in the lower 60s - definitely drying out. Stay tuned on that promising development.

Sunday's precipitation: 0.04" (LR) M (VP2- gauge opening plugged with leaf litter- no reading)

September total precipitation: 0.04"

August total precipitation: 5.24" (correction to total LR amount on August 28 - it should have been 0.05" so August total and Annual YTD amounts have now been adjusted.)

Annual YTD precipitation total: 25.64"

VP2 data for Sunday as follows:

High temp 79.8° (1419) (79.9° RS)

Low temp 70.4° (0655) (70.3° RS)

Obs temp tonight 75.1° (VP2) 74.8° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 6 MPH from the E (1639)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (0724) to a low of 79% (1036)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 75° to 69°.

Pressures ranged from 30.05"(0048) to 29.97"(1624).

At midnight obs, temp was 75.1°(VP2)/74.8°(RS), Cloudy, Foggy, Winds Calm, Pressure 30.03" and steady, Humidity 90% with a dew point of 72°.

Currently at 0442 EDT, the temp is 72.8°(VP2)/72.9°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 2 MPH from the E, Pressure at 30.01" and falling, humidity 95% with the dew point at 71°.

Current radar shows a few widely scattered showers in the region, over parts of eastern WV and over central NJ to name a few spots with a few showing on the screens right now.

Kevin the Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Monday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Monday, September 3, 2012

Monday was a partly cloudy, muggy day with midday sun that warmed our temps up a bit more than yesterday. Rain showers were in the region, but once again, elsewhere from this location. Overnight we should remain muggy and warm, with temps dropping no lower than the low 70s, and with shower possibilities as radar shows an area of showers to my south moving this way slowly. There is a 70 POP through tomorrow evening, then a 60 POP for showers/storms on Wednesday, remaining cloudy through the period with highs in the mid 80s and lows no lower than around 70. On Thursday we should dry out and find sunny skies, with highs up around 90 and lows around 70s. Friday should start a cooling trend with sunny skies and highs in the mid 80s and lows in the 60s. Over the weekend along with the cooler weather we stand increasing chances for showers and possible storms as the high temps on Saturday should be in the low 80s with a 30 POP and highs in the upper 70s on Sunday with a 40 POP for showers. Monday looks to be cloudy and cooler still, with highs in the mid 70s and a 50 POP for rain. Lows should mostly be in the 60s due to the cloud cover.

Monday's precipitation: 0

VP2 data for Monday as follows:

High temp 83.3° (1253) (83.7° RS)

Low temp 72.8° (0412) (72.9° RS)

Obs temp tonight 77.4° (VP2) 77.4° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 9 MPH from the E (1130)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (0756) to a low of 71% (1256)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 75° to 71°.

Pressures ranged from 30.06"(0937) to 30.00"(1841).

At midnight obs, temp was 77.4°(VP2)/77.4°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 5 MPH from the ESE, Pressure 30.03" and steady, Humidity 87% with a dew point of 73°.

Currently at 0158 EDT, the temp is 76.8°(VP2)/76.8°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 3 MPH from the E, Pressure at 30.01" and falling, humidity 89% with the dew point at 73°.

Current radar shows a mass of showers and thundershowers of varying size and intensity over central VA, moving N towards my immediate vicinity at this time. If they don't veer off or dry up (they look pretty strong at this time) they should give us some rain before sunrise. There are also showers up around the PA/MD border heading into PA, and showers over much of central NJ and a good portion of WV.

Kevin the Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Tuesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Tuesday was a mostly cloudy, muggy day with a few morning sprinkles and a few glimpses of sun - showers in the area once again, but once again missed my station and fell elsewhere. Tonight is another muggy, warm night, with temps well up in the 70s. Dew points stayed in the 70s all day. Wednesday looks like the last of the threatening days, as the remnants of Isaac move off/weaken their influence in our area. A 60 POP for showers/storms on Wednesday with high temps in the low-mid 80s and mostly cloudy skies with dew pts continuing in the muggy 70s. On Thursday and Friday it looks to be sunny to partly cloudy and hot, with highs both days in the low 90s. Normal highs this time of year in my area are now in the low 80s. Lows will be around 70. Over the weekend a 50 POP for showers under mostly cloudy skies and turning cooler, with high temps in the low 80s. Right now it looks really nice for the start of the next week, with sunny skies and highs in the mid 70s and lows possibly reaching the 50s.

Tuesday's precipitation: T

VP2 data for Tuesday as follows:

High temp 84.3° (1542) (84.7° RS)

Low temp 72.2° (0642) (72.1° RS)

Obs temp tonight 78.6° (VP2) 78.6° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 12 MPH from the W (2332)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 93% (0418) to a low of 71% (1500)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 75° to 70°.

Pressures ranged from 30.03"(0000) to 29.87"(2347).

At midnight obs, temp was 78.6°(VP2)/78.6°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 2 MPH from the WSW, Pressure 29.87" and steady, Humidity 81% with a dew point of 72°.

Currently at 0235 EDT, the temp is 77.2°(VP2)/77.2°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 1 MPH from the WSW, Pressure at 29.83" and falling, humidity 83% with the dew point at 72°.

Current radar shows most of the rain activity over a good part of New England, but with scattered light showers in parts of WV and PA moving easterly towards our area, but very widely scattered and light, so perhaps more sprinkles may be all we get out of it till sunrise.

Kevin the Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Wednesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Wednesday was partly to mostly cloudy, muggy, with a bit of sun, and quite warm. Temps rose into the mid 80s here and near or at 90 in other parts of the region. Once again no rain fell at my station but not because there is a lack of moisture- gosh we have been treated to a great display of tropical, convective type clouds over the past few days that have created great landscapes of the sky. Thursday and Friday look to be sunny and hot days, with high temps in the low 90s and lows around 70. No real chance of rain on those days. On Saturday clouds return, cooler temps (in the low 80s) and a 70 POP for showers/storms all day. On Sunday partly cloudy, cooler still with highs in the upper 70s and a 40 POP for showers during the day. Cooling off at night- might get into the upper 50s. Monday and Tuesday of next week should be outstanding days, with sunny skies and highs in the mid 70s. Lows at night should be in the mid 50s so finally we should drop below that magical 60 mark! Many more days like that are in the coming months for sure, of course.

High temp 85.3° (1727) (84.7° RS)

Low temp 74.0° (0659) (73.8° RS)

Obs temp tonight 75.3° (VP2) 75.3° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 10 MPH from the NE (0108)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 92% (0728) to a low of 66% (1755)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 77° to 71°.

Pressures ranged from 29.87"(0005) to 29.79"(1510).

At midnight obs, temp was 75.3°(VP2)/75.3°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure 29.85" and steady, Humidity 90% with a dew point of 72°.

Currently at 0206 EDT, the temp is 75.3°(VP2)/75.4°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.85" and steady, humidity 92% with the dew point at 73°.

Current radar shows scattered showers out to my W and SW over parts of VA and WV at this time. They do not seem to be headed this way anytime soon.

Kevin the Walrus of Gaithersburg Maryland signing off early on this Thursday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Thursday, September 6, 2012

Thursday was cloudy and threatening-looking in the morning, with some sprinkles mid AM while I was going into the office around 9 AM. Eventually it cleared off and was partly cloudy, muggy, and warmed up, but not to the extent of the morning's forecasted highs up in the low 90s. Clear now, with temps now in the upper 60s so we should be in the mid 60s by sunrise. Sunny and hot for Friday, with highs around 90. Becoming cloudy on Saturday, cooler, with an 80 POP for showers and storms developing in the afternoon and evening. High temps in the low 80s. Lows Saturday night into the 60s. Sunny, drier and cooler on Sunday with highs in the upper 70s. Sunday night cooler with lows in the upper 50s. A fine stretch of weather is predicted for next week, with highs in the mid-upper 70s and lows in the mid-upper 50s and sunny skies.

Thursday's precipitation: T

High temp 83.6° (1709) (84.9° RS)

Low temp 71.3° (2358) (71.2° RS)

Obs temp tonight 71.3° (VP2) 71.2° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 8 MPH from the SE (1614)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 94% (1024) to a low of 71% (1857)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 76° to 68°.

Pressures ranged from 29.95"(2155) to 29.84"(0309).

At midnight obs, temp was 71.3°(VP2)/71.2°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure 29.94" and steady, Humidity 92% with a dew point of 68°.

Currently at 0240 EDT, the temp is 69.4°(VP2)/69.3°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.93" and steady, humidity 93% with the dew point at 68°.

Current radar shows isolated, widely scattered thundershowers in parts of PA at this time. Moving east and not this way.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Friday, September 7, 2012

Friday was mostly sunny, very warm and was quite muggy at times. The high temperature for the day of 87.7 was the warmest of September so far, just surpassing the 87.6 high temp of September 1. Partly cloudy and muggy overnight tonight, with lows of about 70. Saturday may have a bit of sun under partly cloudy skies early with highs in the mid 80s but clouds should overspread the area quickly by midday and widespread showers and thundershowers should develop in the afternoon and continue into the evening. An 80 POP for showers/storms as a strong cold front passes through the area. Currently the line of showers/storms in in Eastern Ohio and central Kentucky, marching east towards the coast and our area. Showers are just about to enter western PA and western WV. Clearing should be late Saturday night, with cooler temps that may reach the upper 50s by Sunday morning. High temps under beautiful sunny, dry skies on Sunday and Monday should be in the mid-upper 70s with lows in the comfortable mid 50s. The rest of the week looks sunny and dry, with a slow warmup into the low 80s by Thursday and Friday. Lows will creep up a bit, into the upper 50s and/or lower 60s.

High temp 87.7° (1545) (88.2° RS)

Low temp 67.4° (0645) (67.5° RS)

Obs temp tonight 75.5° (VP2) 75.2° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 9 MPH from the E (1737)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0800) to a low of 57% (1845)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 74° to 66°.

Pressures ranged from 29.96"(1049) to 29.83"(2304).

At midnight obs, temp was 75.5°(VP2)/75.2°(RS), PCldy, Winds Calm, Pressure 29.87" and steady, Humidity 82% with a dew point of 70°.

Currently at 0447 EDT, the temp is 72.9°(VP2)/72.9°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 2 MPH from the ENE, Pressure at 29.79" and falling, humidity 94% with the dew point at 71°.

Current radar shows a solid mass of showers and imbedded thunderstorms in a N-S line through eastern OH and central KY at this time, about to enter western PA and western WV.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Saturday, September 8, 2012

Saturday was partly cloudy, very warm and humid in the morning into the early afternoon then clouds increased in the mid afternoon with a strong cold front approaching the area from the NW. We were put into a severe thunderstorm watch till 10 PM, then the warnings started coming for the area by early afternoon. Both thunderstorm and tornado warnings were posted. Some severe weather definitely occurred, mostly flooding rains, high winds knocking down trees and resultant power outages. The storm hit my location between 1530 and 1600 EDT, with a significant max rain rate of 8.00"/hour at 1540. My peak wind gust was rather modest at 18 MPH from the SW at 1537 EDT. The temperature dropped nicely also from the mid 80s at 1445 to the mid 60s by 1600. It stayed in the mid 60s the rest of the day, but in the early hours this morning has falled further into the blissful 50s under clear skies. Clearing was fairly rapid as was drying out, with dew points dropping accordingly, and now in the mid 50s. , We have quite a change coming up this week, starting on Sunday with sunny skies and highs in the upper 70s. Lows in the 50s on Sunday. Upper 70s and sunny skies expected through to Wednesday, with lows on Monday night in the upper 40s!! Nothing remarkable about that at this time of year, I consider that to be seasonably cool for this part of September. Wednesday through Friday should find temps warming some into the lower 80s, but lows still in the 50s and dew points staying in the 40s or 50s and continued sunny to partly cloudy skies with no threat of rain or the muggies returning in the foreseeable future.

Saturday's precipitation: 0.57" (LR and VP2) Max rain rate (MRR) 8.00"/hour @ 1540

September total precipitation: 0.61"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 26.21"

High temp 85.9° (1338) (86.2° RS)

Low temp 62.9° (2359) (63.5° RS)

Obs temp tonight 62.9° (VP2) 63.5° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 18 MPH from the SW (1537)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (2014) to a low of 61% (1447)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 73° to 61°.

Pressures ranged from 29.88"(2346) to 29.60"(1528).

At midnight obs, temp was 62.9°(VP2)/63.5°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure 29.85" and rising, Humidity 93% with a dew point of 61°.

Currently at 0553 EDT, the temp is 56.9°(VP2)/57.2°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.87" and steady, humidity 95% with the dew point at 56°.

Current radar shows our Saturday afternoon showers and storms offshore in the Atlantic now, and moving away from the area. Clear skies over the region with no radar returns - except for some apparent light showers in the lee of southern Lake Michigan in northern Indiana. Kind of a precursor to the lake effect snows of winter that will be coming soon enough.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Sunday, September 9, 2012

Sunday was mostly sunny, cooler and drier, a most picture perfect day for early September. Temps reached the mid 70s, after early morning lows in the 50s, for the first time since June 27. Monday should see a repeat performance as we all return to work, with sun, dry air (dew points around 50) and high temps in the mid-upper 70s. Monday night we have a shot to get into the upper 40s, we should drop to around 50 at least. One more day into the upper 70s on Tuesday with more sun, then about 80 on Wednesday and in the lower 80s on Thursday and Friday. Lows most of the week should be somewhere in the 50s. Still no threat of rain or the muggies returning during the upcoming week.

Sunday's precipitation: 0

High temp 75.8° (1527) (75.7° RS)

Low temp 56.4° (0703) (56.8° RS)

Obs temp tonight 60.2° (VP2) 60.4° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 9 MPH from the NW (1911)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0802) to a low of 46% (1501)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 62° to 51°.

Pressures ranged from 29.99"(2347) to 29.85"(0310).

At midnight obs, temp was 60.2°(VP2)/60.4°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure 29.99" and rising, Humidity 79% with a dew point of 54°.

Currently at 0149 EDT, the temp is 58.0°(VP2)/58.3°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.99" and steady, humidity 84% with the dew point at 53°.

Current radar shows showers over parts of the Canadian Maritimes and far downeast Maine, moving east out into the Atlantic Ocean at this time. All clear otherwise.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Monday, September 10, 2012

Monday sure was a pretty day! It was mostly sunny, cooler and drier, a most picture perfect day for early September. Temps only reached the low 70s, after early morning lows in the mid 50s. Tuesday should see a repeat performance, a few degrees warmer in the afternooon, but in the upper 40s in the early morning hours for the coolest morning we have had since since May (May 18 had our last low in the 40s at 48.1). Once again plenty of sunny, dry air (dew points around 50) and high temps in the upper 70s. Tuesday night will be another cool one but probably will stay at or a bit above 50. Highs around 80 on Wednesday and in the low 80s on Thursday and Friday with still dry air. Lows staying somewhere in the 50s. Saturday should be a tad warmer but still dry- and right now possible showers with highs in the upper 70s on Sunday and Monday (30-40 POP) associated with a weak cold front, but should not be a total washout and nothing really severe or heavy. So no real threat of significant rain or the muggies returning anytime soon.

Monday's precipitation: 0

High temp 72.5° (1527) (72.9° RS)

Low temp 53.9° (0703) (54.3° RS)

Obs temp tonight 54.9° (VP2) 55.4° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 16 MPH from the N (1611)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 94% (0752) to a low of 41% (1454)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 56° to 47°.

Pressures ranged from 30.19"(2354) to 29.99"(0009).

At midnight obs, temp was 54.9°(VP2)/55.4°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure 30.19" and rising, Humidity 87% with a dew point of 51°.

Currently at 0225 EDT, the temp is 52.4°(VP2)/52.9°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.21" and rising, humidity 91% with the dew point at 50°.

Current radar screen is totally clear over the Eastern U.S. north of Florida at this time.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Tuesday sure was another pretty day! I started out on a cool note, managing to get down into the upper 40s for the coldest reading at my station since May 18. It was mostly sunny, seasonably cool and dry, with dew points holding in the 40s and 50s. Tonight it is almost as cool as it was last night, we have a shot at another sub 50 reading by sunrise. Wednesday should see sunny skies, dry with high temps in the low 80s as we warm up a bit. Thursday and Friday look sunny once again, with highs holding in the low 80s and lows in the 50s. Saturday should be partly cloudy with a high around 80 with a 30 POP for showers later on in the day. Sunday the sun should return fully, with highs in the upper 70s and lows in the 50s. Quite a stretch of fine weather this week!

Tuesday's precipitation: 0

September total precipitation: 0.61" Annual YTD precipitation total: 26.21"

High temp 74.7° (1558) (74.5° RS)

Low temp 48.7° (0711) (49.1° RS)

Obs temp tonight 55.6° (VP2) 55.9° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 6 MPH from the NW (1236)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (0842) to a low of 37% (1607)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 55° to 46°.

Pressures ranged from 30.34"(1034) to 30.19"(0000).

At midnight obs, temp was 55.6°(VP2)/55.9°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure 30.32" and rising, Humidity 89% with a dew point of 53°.

Currently at 0228 EDT, the temp is 53.2°(VP2)/53.6°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.33" and steady, humidity 92% with the dew point at 51°.

Current radar screen is totally clear over the Eastern U.S. north of Florida at this time.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Wednesday was yet another pretty day in this entire week of pretty days! Didn't quite make it into the 40s for my low this morning, but still nice. And it warmed up into the upper 70s but the dew points still stayed in the 40s and 50s for another day. High temps on Thursday should reach the lower 80s under continued sunny skies, after lows well down in the 50s again by sunrise. Friday should be sunny most of the day with highs in the low 80s once again after lows in the 50s. Friday night should be cloudy with a low chance for rain (no mention of it in the forecast) as the cold front looks to pass through dry. Over the weekend now it will be sunny through Sunday afternoon, with highs in the 70s and lows in the 50s. Right now it appears that rain showers will return next week starting on Monday, with 50 POPs for rain through Wednesday and remaining cool with highs in the low 70s and lows in the upper 50s. I have seen some discussion about a major cool-down later in the week, but don't see it in the official forecast as yet. Stay tuned on that one!

High temp 78.4° (1549) (78.4° RS)

Low temp 50.3° (0707) (50.7° RS)

Obs temp tonight 59.6° (VP2) 59.9° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 7 MPH from the E (1515)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (0828) to a low of 43% (1547)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 59° to 49°.

Pressures ranged from 30.39"(1005) to 30.31"(1725).

(highest pressure reading since 30.40" was recorded on March 27)

At midnight obs, temp was 59.6°(VP2)/59.9°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure 30.36" and steady, Humidity 87% with a dew point of 56°.

Currently at 0222 EDT, the temp is 57.0°(VP2)/57.4°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.37" and steady, humidity 91% with the dew point at 55°.

Current radar screen is clear over most of the Eastern U.S. north of Florida, except for some showers cutting across Wisconsin and the upper peninsula of Michigan at this time.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Thursday, September 13, 2012

Thursday was yet another pretty day in this entire week (so far) of pretty days! A bit warmer, but still dry, as the high temp was around 80 and lows were in the low 50s. Friday looks a bit warmer, with highs in the low 80s after lows in the mid 50s overnight tonight under clear skies. Friday night looks to be a bit cloudy with a 20 POP for a light shower or overnight sprinkle with lows in the upper 50s. Saturday and Sunday should find the sun returning with highs in the 70s and lows in the 50s. Monday and Tuesday look a bit damp, with clouds and a 40 POP for showers on Monday and a 60 POP for rain on Tuesday with highs in the upper 70s and lows in the upper 50s. Thereafter the rest of the week looks dry and cool with highs in the low 70s and lows in the low 50s. Stay tuned for possible changes in the temperature forecasts for later in the week.

High temp 79.8° (1554) (79.7° RS)

Low temp 53.1° (0708) (53.6° RS)

Obs temp tonight 61.1° (VP2) 61.0° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 7 MPH from the E (1450)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (0828) to a low of 41% (1604)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 61° to 51°.

Pressures ranged from 30.40"(0956) to 30.28"(1855).

(highest pressure reading since 30.40" was recorded on March 27!)

At midnight obs, temp was 61.1°(VP2)/61.0°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure 30.29" and steady, Humidity 88% with a dew point of 58°.

Currently at 0203 EDT, the temp is 58.3°(VP2)/58.6°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.30" and steady, humidity 92% with the dew point at 56°.

Current radar screen is showing that line of showers that were cutting across Wisconsin last night now cutting through the state of Michigan tonight- also stretching down through northern Indiana and central Illinois at this time.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Friday, September 14, 2012

Friday was not quite as pretty as the previous days of this week have been, with partly cloudy skies, a bit of a rise in the humidity, and temps just about 80 - still not bad. Temperatures tonight have been milder than the past few days, remaining in the 60s, with some wind kicking things up the past few hours. Saturday should be sunny and cooler, with highs in the mid 70s. Lows in the 50s Saturday night under clear skies, then upper 70s and sunny on Sunday. Things start going downhill on Monday, with partly cloudy skies during the day but a 40 POP for showers Monday night with lows in the upper 50s. Tuesday should find a 70 POP for rain showers and possible thunderstorms from an active system coming up from the south. On Wednesday skies should clear with high temps in the low 70s, and lows in the low 50s if not upper 40s. Thursday and Friday should see more sunny weather with highs in the mid 70s and lows in the 50s. Patterns appear to be starting the transition into a more cold season pattern with more amplified bends in the jet stream and actual cyclonic storms providing steady precipitation starting to develop.

High temp 79.2° (1636) (79.0° RS)

Low temp 54.1° (0701) (54.5° RS)

Obs temp tonight 64.3° (VP2) 64.6° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 6 MPH from the E (1049)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0854) to a low of 47% (1655)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 63° to 52°.

Pressures ranged from 30.30"(0139) to 30.12"(2337)

At midnight obs, temp was 64.3°(VP2)/64.6°(RS), Partly Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure 30.12" and steady, Humidity 87% with a dew point of 60°.

Currently at 0546 EDT, the temp is 63.6°(VP2)/64.0°(RS), Clear, Winds 4 MPH from the NNW, Pressure at 30.19" and rising, humidity 68% with the dew point at 53°.

Current radar screen is showing a line of light showers is cutting through New England right now. The frontal passage is dry through this area, but our winds are shifting around at the present time and have picked up since the calm of midnight (PWG since midnight 13 MPH from the NW at 0520), the temp had risen earlier but now is starting to drop, and the barometer has risen 0.07" since midnight,

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Saturday, September 15, 2012

Saturday started out a bit mild and unsettled during the overnight hours from Friday as I observed the frontal passage before I went to bed around 0500 or so. The late morning and the rest of the day was really pretty once again, with bright, clear blue skies, a bit of a nice NW breeze at times and lowering dew points through the 50s and high temps in the mid 70s. Tonight it is clear with temps dropping through the 50s, we probably will bottom out around 50 by sunrise. Sunday should be partly cloudy with highs in the upper 70s, then on Monday clouding up with high temps in the 70s and a 50 POP for showers by afternoon and evening. A 70 POP for showers and even possible thunderstorms on Tuesday with highs in the 70s, then an 80 POP on Tuesday night for more showers and possible storms. Wednesday through Friday should find clearing, cooling skies, with highs in the low 70s and lows in the upper 40s to low 50s.

High temp 74.9° (1542) (75.0° RS)

Low temp 56.7° (2359) (57.0° RS)

Obs temp tonight 56.7° (VP2) 57.0° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 15 MPH from the NNW (1032)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 91% (0136) to a low of 39% (1543)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 61° to 48°.

Pressures ranged from 30.25"(0929) to 30.12"(0001)

At midnight obs, temp was 56.7°(VP2)/57.0°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure 30.16" and steady, Humidity 85% with a dew point of 52°.

Currently at 0422 EDT, the temp is 53.5°(VP2)/54.0°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.15" and steady, humidity 91% with the dew point at 51°.

Currently the Eastern US radar screen is showing a some widely scattered light showers well to my SW over extreme SW VA, western NC, eastern TN, and another grouping centered over extreme southern Illinois and the states surrounding (MO/KY).

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Sunday, September 16, 2012

Sunday was pretty nice, but with more clouds than we have been having most of the past week, as moisture has started to stream in a bit aloft that caused an increase in high clouds during the afternoon and evening. We should have one more night with lows in the low 50s tonight, then partly cloudy, highs around 80 on Monday with a 30 POP for showers in the afternoon/evening. Overnight a 50 POP for showers on Monday night, lows in the upper 50s, then on Tuesday and Tuesday night we have a 80 POP for showers and possible strong thunderstorms with potentially heavy rainfall, along with high temps in the mid-upper 70s and lows in the 60s under cloudy skies. Wednesday should be partly cloudy overall, but with a 40 POP for showers, mainly early. Highs in the 70s, lows in the 50s. Thursday and Friday should be sunny and dry, with highs in the low 70s and lows in the low 50s. Next weekend looks a bit unsettled on Saturday, but then clearing off on Sunday.

Sunday's precipitation: 0

High temp 72.9° (1715) (73.0° RS)

Low temp 52.7° (0702) (53.1° RS)

Obs temp tonight 56.1° (VP2) 56.7° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 7 MPH from the N (1021)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 94% (0759) to a low of 50% (1557)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 58° to 51°.

Pressures ranged from 30.20"(0958) to 30.09"(1744)

At midnight obs, temp was 56.1°(VP2)/56.7°(RS), PCldy, Winds Calm, Pressure 30.12" and steady, Humidity 90% with a dew point of 53°.

Currently at 0204 EDT, the temp is 54.0°(VP2)/54.3°(RS), PCldy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.13" and steady, humidity 92% with the dew point at 52°.

Currently the Eastern US radar screen is showing widely scattered light showers well to my SW over the Carolinas and also a more solid mass of rain centered over the junction of the states of MS,.TN and AR.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Monday, September 17, 2012

Monday started out sunny, cool and dry but the storm to the south and the cold front from the NW started moving in, and a cloud cover took over in the afternoon, and the dew point temperature started creeping up into the 60s. Sprinkles of rain started falling just prior to obs yielding a trace for Monday, but after midnight the rain has started to become measureable, as so far 0.13" has fallen since midnight up to now (0153). Overnight the rain will continue to move in (90 POP) and get heavier by daybreak, but the real heavy stuff probably won't come in till the afternoon or early evening. Severe storms and flooding a possibility. Temps will stay in the 60s overnight, then low 70s with the cloud cover on Tuesday and a 100 POP for rain through the evening, with a 20 POP for more showers overnight, lows in the upper 50s. Wednesday should be clearing morning clouds off by afternoon with highs in the 70s and lows in the 50s. Thursday and Friday should be sunny and nice, with temps in the low to mid 70s and lows in the low-mid 50s. Saturday looks partly cloudy and a bit warmer, with a 40 POP for showers as another front passes on through. Sunday and Monday should be really nice with sun and high temps around 70, lows in the upper 40s.

Monday's precipitation: T

High temp 73.2° (1421) (73.4° RS)

Low temp 50.1° (0700) (50.5° RS)

Obs temp tonight 68.1° (VP2) 68.2° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 9 MPH from the E (1321)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (0825) to a low of 68% (1259)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 66° to 48°.

Pressures ranged from 30.14"(0746) to 29.98"(2339)

At midnight obs, temp was 68.1°(VP2)/68.2°(RS), Cldy with light rain, Winds 1 MPH from the ESE, Pressure 29.98" and falling, Humidity 92% with a dew point of 66°.

Currently at 0153 EDT, the temp is 67.8°(VP2)/68.0°(RS), Cloudy/Light-Moderate Rain, Winds 1 MPH from the E, Pressure at 29.93" and falling, humidity 95% with the dew point at 66°.

Currently the Eastern US radar screen is showing a big swath of rain over a good part of the region, heading here from the S and SW.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Tuesday started out cloudy and wet, with showers starting to fall measureably right after Monday night obs, but only about 0.15" overnight. Rain showers re-commenced mid-morning, reaching their apex in heavy showers around 1500 with high winds but no thunder that I know of. Official reports were even including this lack of thunder fact, just high winds and heavy rain, which was still plenty to cause problems with flash flood warnings in the area, a tornado watch, severe thunderstorm warning (despite the lack of lightning/thunder). I had about half of my total day's rainfall in about a half an hour from 1455-1525. Most of the evening was rain-free, but another round of light showers came through around 2300. It should remain cloudy and damp overnight, cooling off into the upper 50s. Rain chances are 30 POP but I don't see any promising radar returns for the overnight hour. It should be sunny, cool and dry on Wednesday with highs in the low 70s and lows in the upper 40s. A warm up through the 70s under sunny skies should be the rule for Thursday and Friday. High temps in the upper 70s should carry over into Saturday with a 40 POP for showers through Saturday evening as the next frontal passage approaches the area. Lows should be mostly in the 50s late this week. Sunday through Tuesday should be sunny once again, with highs around 70 and lows in the upper 40s.

Tuesday's precipitation: 1.10" (LR) 0.92" (VP2) 8.00" max rain rate (MRR) @ 1455.

September total precipitation: 1.71".

Annual YTD precipitation total: 27.31".

High temp 74.6° (1442) (74.8° RS)

Low temp 60.6° (0700) (61.5° RS)

Obs temp tonight 60.6° (VP2) 61.5° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 25 MPH from the E (1218)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (2114) to a low of 84% (1452)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 72° to 59°.

Pressures ranged from 29.98"(0000) to 29.60"(1438)

At midnight obs, temp was 60.6°(VP2)/61.5°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure 29.85" and rising, Humidity 94% with a dew point of 59°.

Currently at 0234 EDT, the temp is 59.3°(VP2)/60.4°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 6 MPH from the N, Pressure at 29.90" and rising, humidity 89% with the dew point at 56°.

Currently the Eastern US radar screen is showing rain showers retreating NE through PA into New England and away from Maryland, along with a large area offshore from the Maryland coast heading away also. Light rain showers are widely scattered to the west and diminishing as they move towards our area.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Wednesday was beautifully sunny and cool, with the coolest max temp in almost 2 months (68.2 on July 21). But that was a rainy, cloudy day- the last rain free day in the 60s was a 67.1 max on June 5, a variably cloudy day. Overnight tonight temperatures will be dropping into the mid 40s, most likely our coolest minimum temperature of the season, coolest since late spring. Thursday should be sunny and a bit milder, with high temps in the mid 70s. Thursday night should be clear and not quite as cool, with lows in the mid 50s. Friday we should warm some more, with highs around 80. Saturday we should have some clouds around as a front approaches from the west, with highs around 80s and a 30 POP for showers during the afternoon and a 40 POP for showers on Saturday evening. Sunday should clear off with highs dropping down into the low 70s. Monday and Tuesday should see more nice, cool weather, with highs in the upper 60s and lows in the upper 40s. Moderating temperatures should follow mid-week, but no real organized storms of rain and wind in the foreseeable future. The first day of astronomical fall is coming at the end of this week, and it is definitely showing itself of late. No real leaf change around these parts as yet.

September total precipitation: 1.71"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 27.31"

High temp 69.4° (1551) (69.8° RS)

Low temp 51.0° (2359) (51.6° RS)

Obs temp tonight 51.0° (VP2) 51.6° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 12 MPH from the N (1126)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 95% (0025) to a low of 44% (1611)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 59° to 45°.

Pressures ranged from 30.19"(2319) to 29.85"(0000)

At midnight obs, temp was 51.0°(VP2)/51.6°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure 30.18" and steady, Humidity 91% with a dew point of 49°.

Currently at 0050 EDT, the temp is 50.3°(VP2)/50.9°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.18" and steady, humidity 92% with the dew point at 48°. (relatively early post tonight- have to get up early tomorrow (early for me that is - about 0715-0730) so I can be at work by 9 for an all day important job training class.)

Currently the Eastern US radar screen is showing rain showers in parts of western Michigan- quite possibly instability showers from WNW flow off Lake Michigan - forerunner of the lake effect snows coming later this year - really sooner rather than later actually.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Thursday, September 20, 2012

Thursday was another beautifully sunny day, a bit warmer than yesterday with high temps getting into the mid 70s. This morning's low was the lowest yet of the fall season, and the coolest since a 45.4° reading back on May 12. Friday should see more sunny skies with high temperatures warming further up to around the 80° mark after morning lows in the mid 50s. Saturday should still feature sun with highs in the mid 80s and lows around 60. Saturday evening should see a 60 POP for showers with cloudy skies and lows dropping into the upper 50s after the frontal passage. Sunny, cool skies should follow on Sunday with highs in the upper 60s and lows in the upper 40s. Slow warming under sunny skies should be the rule into midweek, with highs generally in the low-mid 70s and lows in the low-mid 50s. Astronomical fall arrives late on Saturday morning. Our cooler weather of late is certainly reflective of this fact. No real leaf change around these parts as yet.

High temp 73.6° (1556) (74.5° RS)

Low temp 46.2° (0701) (46.8° RS)

Obs temp tonight 59.1° (VP2) 59.2° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 7 MPH from the E (1124)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 95% (0755) to a low of 52% (1508)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 59° to 44°.

Pressures ranged from 30.20"(0902) to 30.07"(1708)

At midnight obs, temp was 59.1°(VP2)/59.2°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure 30.10" and steady, Humidity 87% with a dew point of 55°.

Currently at 0225 EDT, the temp is 55.0°(VP2)/55.6°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.10" and steady, humidity 92% with the dew point at 53°.

Currently the Eastern US radar screen is showing rain showers just entering western Wisconsin, also light instability showers appear to be falling in the Lake Erie/Lake Ontario regions of New York, Pennsylvania, and Ohio and adjoining parts of southern Ontario at this time.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Friday, September 21, 2012

Friday was another sunny day, warmer than yesterday with high temps getting into the upper 70s. This morning's low was still nice in the low 50s, but warmer than Thursday's by about 6 degrees. It appears that overnight tonight we will stay mild, in the low 60s for the first time this week. A warmer launching pad for Saturday, so we should make it into the low-mid 80s under partly cloudy skies. With the midwest cold front approaching during Saturday, we have a 40 POP for showers and scattered thunderstorms both during the day and in the evening. Clearing late Saturday night then a beautiful set of days from Sunday through midweek. Perfect for our planned trip Sun-Wed out to the mountains of West Virginia. Sunday should see high temps in the upper 60s to around 70 with lows in the mid-upper 40s. Sunny weather Mon-Wed with a slow warmup through the 70s, with 80s returning by Wednesday. Some chances of showers late in the week in the warmer air, but then by next weekend we should be returning to cooler, more fall-like weather with highs in the low 70s and lows in the upper 40s to lower 50s. Astronomical fall arrives 10:49 AM EDT on Saturday morning. Our cooler weather of late is certainly reflective of this fact. No real leaf change around these parts as yet.

High temp 78.1° (1558) (79.5° RS)

Low temp 52.0° (0711) (52.5° RS)

Obs temp tonight 67.0° (VP2) 67.3° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 11 MPH from the E (1719)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0906) to a low of 59% (1547)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 64° to 50°.

Pressures ranged from 30.10"(0132) to 29.96"(2340)

At midnight obs, temp was 67.0°(VP2)/67.3°(RS), PCldy, Winds 1 MPH from the E, Pressure 29.97" and steady, Humidity 82% with a dew point of 61°.

Currently at 0416 EDT, the temp is 64.2°(VP2)/64.6°(RS), PCldy, Winds 1 MPH from the ESE, Pressure at 29.91" and falling, humidity 91% with the dew point at 62°.

Currently the Eastern US radar screen is showing the heaviest rain showers in south-central Ontario just above western Lake Ontario, with associated showers in western NY, NW PA, and parts of Ohio. Showers appear to be moving NE so they will take some time to work their way SE into my area. Lighter showers are found also in parts of MI and WI, scattered about.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Saturday, September 22, 2012

Saturday morning at 10:49 AM we officially transitioned from summer to autumn, and just in time, warm weather has been replaced with cooler, drier weather as a cold front has passed through this evening with nice breezes and dropping dew points. Sunny weather most of the day with temps reaching into the low 80s, then clouds mid-afternoon with scattered showers (I went to a local orchard about 10 miles NW of here around 5 PM and had a brief, intense shower while there picking up apples, and then on leaving there, the shower moved on and I witnessed a beautiful full rainbow as I looked east with the sun behind me, occasionally even saw a double rainbow.) Winds have picked up over the past few hours since midnight, indicating the frontal passage, and the temperatures are starting to drop. We should have some fine fall weather for the next several days, with highs around 70 and lows in the upper 40s on Sunday and then a slow sunny warmup from Monday-Wednesday. I may or may not be giving you an update through Wednesday after this one, I leave tomorrow for the West Virginia high country after attending an open house at the NWS-Sterling VA forecast office which includes a volunteer observer recognition ceremony. A small group of observer friends and I will be visiting the highest summits of West Virginia and many observer sites and also weather observer friends up there also. We will take many pictures. Busy schedule and possible iffy internet availability may not allow me to post daily wx updates. I can't really do one from my backyard since I won't be here, but I will be in some exciting areas to report weather from, and hope to do that if at all possible. So stay tuned! We should see some autumnal colors in the high elevations out in W V, they are weeks ahead of my area due to cooler conditions in the higher elevations (we will be to around 4800 feet)

Saturday's precipitation: T (LR) 0.00" (VP2)

High temp 80.9° (1519) (81.5° RS)

Low temp 62.8° (0634) (63.1° RS)

Obs temp tonight 63.0° (VP2) 63.7° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 12 MPH from the E (1638)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 94% (0817) to a low of 58% (1504)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 67° to 55°.

Pressures ranged from 29.97"(0000) to 29.78"(1554)

At midnight obs, temp was 63.0°(VP2)/63.7°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure 29.93" and rising, Humidity 75% with a dew point of 55°.

Currently at 0259 EDT, the temp is 57.6°(VP2)/58.1°(RS), Clear, Winds 2 MPH from the NW, Pressure at 30.01" and rising, humidity 62% with the dew point at 44°.

Currently the Eastern US radar screen is showing the rain showers associated with the front mostly offshore the Maryland and NJ coasts, along with parts of New England at this time.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Friday, September 28, 2012

Sorry about not posting this week. Was out of town, checking out the beautiful fall colors and spectacular mountain scenery in sections of West Virginia. Also checked out several weather stations in the Canaan Valley and Snowshoe areas, was up over 4800 feet at Spruce Knob and Snowshoe Ski area. Took many pictures, hope to post a few of them in the coming days. I am still getting caught up on things, will hopefully be finishing that project up over this weekend.

Cloudy, damp, light overnight showers gave way to variably cloudy skies as the cold front took its sweet time to clear the area, and showers were still falling this evening less than 100 miles to my south and east. It was cooler than yesterday, and drying out finally over the evening hours with dew points dropping into the low 50s. Partly cloudy and seasonable over the weekend into Monday, with highs in the low 70s and lows in the low 50s. Showers should return on Tuesday, 50-60 POP, with highs in the upper 60s to lower 70s and lows mainly in the 50s. This pattern may well carry through late Wednesday, then sunny skies on Thursday and Friday with seasonable 70s for highs and 50s for lows as we head into the first week of October. Still not much color showing here in my locale as yet.

Friday's precipitation: 0.15"(LR) 0.12"(VP2) 0.18" max rain rate @ 0428

September total precipitation: 2.61"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 28.21"

High temp 74.3° (1433) (73.8° RS)

Low temp 62.2° (2357) (62.4° RS)

Obs temp tonight 62.2° (VP2) 62.4° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 7 MPH from the SW (1211)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (0818) to a low of 66% (1855)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 68° to 53°.

Pressures ranged from 30.12"(0030) to 29.99"(1642)

At midnight obs, temp was 62.2°(VP2)/62.4°(RS), Mostly Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure 30.02" and steady, Humidity 73% with a dew point of 53°.

Currently at 0501 EDT, the temp is 56.5°(VP2)/56.8°(RS), Broken Clouds, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.00" and steady, humidity 83% with the dew point at 51°.

Currently the radar screen is showing the rain showers moving further south and east, off the MD/DE coast and in far southern VA, slowly moving away from the area.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Saturday, September 29, 2012

Just downloaded the 159 pictures I took on my recent trip out of my camera and onto my computer. I posted 79 of them on my FACEBOOK page, for those of you who have access to FACEBOOK. I may try to post some here too, when and if I get the chance. Variable clouds with sun at times on Saturday, cooler, drier conditions. Overnight temps have dropped down to around 50 with some clouds still around. Sunday should be partly cloudy with highs in the low 70s and a 40-50 POP for scattered afternoon showers. Sunny skies on Monday with highs in the 70s should give way to clouds and a 70 POP for showers on Tuesday and Tuesday night, dropping to a 50 POP for showers on Wednesday, with high temps around 70 and lows in the lower 50s. Thursday and Friday should be sunny and mild, with highs rising into the mid to upper 70s and lows in the 50s as we head into the first week of October. Still not much color showing here in my locale as yet, but there sure is some great color above 3000 feet in the West Virginia mountains right now.

September total precipitation: 2.61"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 28.21"

High temp 68.0° (1523) (68.4° RS)

Low temp 52.8° (2356) (53.6° RS)

Obs temp tonight 52.8° (VP2) 53.6° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 12 MPH from the SW (1434)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 91% (0750) to a low of 52% (1524)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 54° to 49°.

Pressures ranged from 30.04"(0956) to 29.93"(1618)

At midnight obs, temp was 52.8°(VP2)/53.6°(RS), Partly Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure 29.94" and steady, Humidity 90% with a dew point of 50°.

Currently at 0542 EDT, the temp is 49.4°(VP2)/50.0°(RS), Partly Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.91" and falling, humidity 93% with the dew point at 48°.

Currently the 4-state radar screen is showing a few rain showers scattered over central PA, heading east.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Sunday, September 30, 2012

The 159 pictures from my WV Mountain trip from a week ago that I downloaded onto my computer on Saturday have now been uploaded onto the web - http://sdrv.ms/QQUOYE Just click on that link, and then click on the first thumbnail image, and work your way through the photos with the forward and back navigation arrows. I have captioned several pictures to help explain what you are seeing. Sunny most of the day, a tad warmer than yesterday in the afternoon after a comfortably cool morning in the upper 40s to wind up the month of September. Actually in the evening around 9 PM we did have some light showers pass on through. Should be clear overnight, and sunny on Monday to start October with seasonable temps in the low 70s. An 80 POP for rain showers and possible thunderstorms will cover Monday night and Tuesday, reducing slightly to a 70 POP on Tuesday night, then a 30 POP on Wednesday as we start to dry out. Sunny with highs in the mid 70s and lows in the low to mid 50s the rest of the week. Still not much color showing here in my locale as yet, but there sure is some great color above 3000 feet in the West Virginia mountains right now.

Sunday's precipitation: 0.05" (LR) 0.02" (VP2)

September total precipitation: 2.66"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 28.26"

High temp 70.5° (1656) (70.9° RS)

Low temp 48.3° (0708) (48.9° RS)

Obs temp tonight 52.2° (VP2) 52.9° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 16 MPH from the N (1709)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (0821) to a low of 49% (1617)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 53° to 47°.

Pressures ranged from 29.94"(0000) to 29.81"(1650)

At midnight obs, temp was 52.2°(VP2)/52.9°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure 29.92" and steady, Humidity 94% with a dew point of 51°.

Currently at 0200 EDT, the temp is 50.3°(VP2)/50.9°(RS), Mostly Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.93" and steady, humidity 95% with the dew point at 49°.

Currently the radar screen is showing showers spinning in a circular pattern up in upstate NY and parts of New England, and also a solid mass over most of the state of Tennessee, along with good parts of SC, GA, AL and MS at this time. That mass will probably work its way up to my area by Monday night.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Monday, October 1, 2012

I hope some/most of you have been able to view the 159 pictures from my WV Mountain trip from a week ago that I told you about yesterday - that they are on the web now at http://sdrv.ms/QQUOYE . Just click on that link, and then click on the first thumbnail image, and work your way through the photos with the forward and back navigation arrows. I have captioned several pictures to help explain what you are seeing. Let me know if you are having any problems or have any comments about them - or just post your comments on the site itself. As we start into the new month of October, we had sunny, chilly conditions early but clouds took over for most of the afternoon and evening but only light rain/drizzle fell out of the clouds, mostly during the evening. Tonight it is damp, temperature is actually rising a bit from the upper 50s to lower 60s as a warm front struggles to move towards our area. Showers should be developing towards sunrise, and continue off and on all day (80 POP) and into the evening with highs in the 70s and lows in the 60s - also a chance at some thundershowers. Wednesday should see some residual showers in the morning most of the day, partial sun in the afternoon with temps rising into the low 80s. Thursday through Saturday should see sun and gradual cooling, highs in the upper 70s on Thursday dropping into the upper 60s by Saturday. Lows should be in the 50s Thursday dropping to upper 40s by Saturday morning. Sunday and Columbus Day should see more clouds than sun and cool, highs in the 60s with a 30-40 POP for showers. I hear rumors of a major cooldown next week with highs only in the 50s possibly by midweek next week. Still not much color showing here in my locale as yet, but there is some great color above 3000 feet in the West Virginia mountains right now.

Monday's precipitation: 0.01" (LR) 0.01" (VP2)

October total precipitation 0.01"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 28.27"

High temp 69.1° (1604) (69.6° RS)

Low temp 46.4° (0701) (47.3° RS)

Obs temp tonight 59.8° (VP2) 60.6° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 7 MPH from the W (1843)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (0937) to a low of 55% (1529)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 58° to 45°.

Pressures ranged from 29.99"(1054) to 29.91"(0032)

At midnight obs, temp was 59.8°(VP2)/60.6°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure 29.96" and steady, Humidity 92% with a dew point of 58°.

Currently at 0232 EDT, the temp is 60.4°(VP2)/61.2°(RS), Cloudy - occasional sprinkles, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.95" and steady, humidity 90% with the dew point at 58°.

Currently the radar screen is showing a good area of showers to my SW over parts of VA and WV, heading NE and this way. They should be here by sunrise.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Tuesday was quite a significant weather day. A slow moving storm/warm front moved in during the early morning hours from the SW, and as early as 0600 the rains started pouring down. Rained most of the rest of the morning, occasionally moderate-heavy that gave me a long commute into work among other things. Besides the max rain rate for the day as stated below, I had several other notable amounts. All those amounts and other facts about today's rain include: 3.07" of rain fell in my Lake Region gauge, 2.63" in my VP2 gauge. This is by far my wettest day of 2012, and my wettest day overall since September 8, 2011 when I had 4.92". My max rain rate on Tuesday was 6.55"/hr at 1109 EDT. Other impressive rain rates on Tuesday morning include: 5.43"@1010, 3.79"@0805 and 5.88"@0640. The 3.07" amount for October 2 set a daily record, and was my third wettest October day ever, only surpassed by the 3.50" that fell on Oct 23, 1990 and the 3.22" that fell on Oct 1, 1979. Fog and low clouds hung around in the afternoon, with occasional drizzle but nothing measurable till a surprise shower a few minutes ago (post-midnight) that gave me an early start for Wednesday. Low clouds and fog early Wednesday morning should give way to partly cloudy and warm conditions in the afternoon, with highs in the mid 80s and lows in the 60s as dew points remain in the 60s. Thursday and Friday should cool off a bit into the mid-upper 70s, with lows in the 50s by Friday night. Over the weekend cooler air will move in, with a 50 POP for showers on both Saturday and Sunday - highs around 70 on Saturday and only in the upper 50s on Sunday under mostly cloudy skies. Sunny, cool skies will start off the new week, with highs in the upper 50s to lower 60s on Monday and Tuesday. Some scattered bits of fall color starting to show here in my locale, mostly the early turning tree species like dogwood.

Tuesday's precipitation: 3.07" (LR) 2.63" (VP2) Max rain rate (MRR) 6.55"/hr @1109

October total precipitation 3.08"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 31.34"

High temp 67.6° (1712) (68.5° RS)

Low temp 59.7° (0008) (60.6° RS)

Obs temp tonight 66.0° (VP2) 67.1° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 7 MPH from the W (1843)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 99% (1641) to a low of 89% (0123)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 67° to 57°.

Pressures ranged from 29.97"(2220) to 29.90"(1544)

At midnight obs, temp was 66.0°(VP2)/67.1°(RS), Cloudy/Foggy, Winds Calm, Pressure 29.96" and steady, Humidity 98% with a dew point of 66°.

Currently at 0209 EDT, the temp is 65.8°(VP2)/66.9°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.97" and steady, humidity 99% with the dew point at 66°.

Currently the radar screen is the small rain shower area that went through my area an hour or so ago, headed north through Carroll County MD and into southern PA at this time. Not much other action showing up on radar, drizzle doesn't show up well at all on radar.

Archived