Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
What's the Weather Where You are?

terpguy

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Tuesday marked my first day with a freezing minimum since March 11, an amazing 16 day period of early spring warmth. Sunny cool day after our freezing morning and a slow moderation has already started - temperature seemed to be heading down towards freezing again this evening, low 40s reached around midnight but since midnight the temperature has been rising slowly with dew points also rising, after having some of the lowest dew points of the season during the early morning hours, reaching down to 11 in the very early morning hours of the day. Fast changes happen in the spring, and this one is no different! Tomorrow we should see more clouds but still some sun, with warmer temperatures heading up over the 70 mark with a 50 POP for showers and even possibly a thundershower during the day and into the evening. Sunny skies return with a bit cooler temps, but still above normal on Thursday, highs in the low to mid 60s continuing through Friday. Cloudy on Saturday with a slight chance of a passing shower with temps in the 60s then sunny on Sunday, highs reaching the upper 60s.

Tuesday's precipitation: 0

March total precipitation: 1.66"

2012 annual YTD precipitation total: 6.35"

Seasonal snowfall: 4.9"

VP2 data for Tuesday as follows :

High temp 56.0° (1705)

Low temp 29.9° (0720)

Obs temp tonight 42.2°

Relative humidity ranged from a max of 64% (0755) to a low of 20% (1605)

Dew point ranged from 29° to 11°.

Peak Wind Gust 14 MPH from the NNW (0925)

Pressures ranged from 30.40"(0850) to 30.22"(2355).

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 42.2° and partly cloudy. Winds 1 MPH from the E, barometer 30.22" and falling, humidity 50% with a dew point of 25°.

Currently at 0224 EDT the temp is 43.4°, PCloudy, Winds 1 MPH from the SW, barometer 30.15" and falling, humidity 52% with a dew point of 27°.

The current radar is showing a mixed bag of precipitation over southern Quebec and sections of upstate NY and northern New England, along with a batch of rain in northern Indiana.

Kevin the Walrus from Gaithersburg Maryland, signing off early on Wednesday morning.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Wednesday really warmed up and also moistened up after our incredibly dry Tuesday. Temps and dew pts started rising right after midnight last night and maintained that pattern brought in by moderate SW winds. Clouds increased midday and I got a brief, short duration shower around 1515-1520. I saw a line of showers and storms on radar around lunchtime, and watched it progress across the area during the afternoon. Most amounts I have seen were quite light, but I heard later that the line developed more significant weather with stronger thunderstorms south of our area in the Richmond VA vicinity. Temperatures have stayed mild through the evening with persistent moderate winds, and drying skies and dropping dew points, now currently in the low 40s. Sun should dominate the skies on Thursday and Friday, with high temps around 60-65. Clouds and a 40 POP for showers and possible storms on Saturday and mild, then clearing again on Sunday through the beginning of the new week with high temps in the upper 60s to around 70. Some hints for a significant cooldown later next week as we really head into April but that remains to be seen. Stay tuned for updates on that possible development.

Wednesday's precipitation: 0.03" (LR) 0.02" (VP2) 0.92" Max rain rate (MRR) @1518

March total precipitation: 1.69"

2012 annual YTD precipitation total: 6.38"

VP2 data for Wednesday as follows :

High temp 73.5° (1421)

Low temp 42.2° (0000)

Obs temp tonight 60.7°

Relative humidity ranged from a max of 80% (1559) to a low of 40% (1423)

Dew point ranged from 60° to 24°.

Peak Wind Gust 13 MPH from the SW (1823)

Pressures ranged from 30.22"(0000) to 29.68"(2119).

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 60.7° and clear. Winds 2 MPH from the WSW, barometer 29.71" and rising, humidity 79% with a dew point of 54°.

Currently at 0209 EDT the temp is 62.0°, Clear, Winds 1 MPH from the SW, barometer 29.72" and rising, humidity 47% with a dew point of 41°.

The current radar shows very scattered, very light precipitation over upstate New York and sections of New England.

Kevin the Walrus from Gaithersburg Maryland, signing off early on Thursday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Thursday, March 29, 2012

Thursday cooled down again, temps gradually dropping with a few ups and downs in between, with many of my extreme lows and highs for the day set at the very beginning or end of the day. Sun was found most of the day, clear skies especially noted in the late afternoon on the drive home. Some clouds at other times of the day. Clear this evening too. Frost possible by sunrise, lows in the mid 30s. Sunny and low 60s on Friday. Late night showers and storms (probably after midnight) Friday night (70 POP) then more chances Saturday morning (50 POP) then clearing in the afternoon with highs in the upper 60s. Sunday, sunny with highs in the upper 60s for the start of April then up into the low to mid 70s as we start the new workweek with sun, a 30 POP for showers and storms on Tuesday afternoon as a weak front approaches from the west, leading to a cooldown for the mid-late week period.

Thursday's precipitation: 0

VP2 data for Thursday as follows :

High temp 62.4° (0200)

Low temp 45.9° (2355)

Obs temp tonight 45.9°

Relative humidity ranged from a max of 79% (0000) to a low of 41% (1710)

Dew point ranged from 54° to 34°.

Peak Wind Gust 21 MPH from the NNW (1000)

Pressures ranged from 30.05"(2335) to 29.71"(0000).

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 45.9° and clear. Winds 3 MPH from the NNW, barometer 30.05" and steady, humidity 63% with a dew point of 34°.

Currently at 0222 EDT the temp is 43.1°, Clear, Winds Calm, barometer 30.06" and rising, humidity 68% with a dew point of 33°.

The current radar is showing small areas of light snow over portions of VT and ME, light showers scattered over parts of OH and IN, and more substantial precip over much of IA, WI, and MN, with mixed precip showing in the northern part of that region.

Kevin the Walrus from Gaithersburg Maryland, signing off early on Friday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Friday, March 30, 2012

Friday cooled down some more, with the high temp actually below normal, which is around 60 now. Clouds predominated, and I had a few sprinkles on my windshield as I drove into work this morning. Other showers in the area later on in the day did not find their mark in my backyard rain gauges. Tonight temps have held in the mid 40s, clouds also, and a line of showers is poised to my NW that if it holds together should give my station some rain in the next few hours. There is a 40 POP for rain tonight, and a 50 POP for Saturday morning. It should remain cloudy for most of Saturday and into Saturday evening, then late clearing should give us a sunny Sunday. Sun should predominate for the next several days through Tuesday, with temps moderating from the 60s on Sunday up into the 70s by Tuesday. Showers and storms might be on the bill on Wednesday and a cooler trend take hold the rest of the coming week.

Friday's precipitation: T

VP2 data for Friday as follows :

High temp 50.3° (1714)

Low temp 36.2° (0704)

Obs temp tonight 45.5°

Relative humidity ranged from a max of 87% (0726) to a low of 59% (1042)

Dew point ranged from 41° to 31°.

Peak Wind Gust 11 MPH from the NE (1819)

Pressures ranged from 30.15"(1016) to 29.86"(2337).

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 45.5° and cloudy. Winds Calm, barometer 29.87" and falling, humidity 84% with a dew point of 41°.

Currently at 0243 EDT the temp is 46.3°, Cloudy, Winds 2 MPH from the ESE, barometer 29.84" and falling, humidity 87% with a dew point of 43°.

The current radar is a line of showers and some storms to my NW running through southern PA, western MD and parts of WV. It should pass through here if it holds together within the next few hours.

Kevin the Walrus from Gaithersburg Maryland, signing off early on Saturday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Saturday, March 31, 2012

Saturday wrapped up an amazing month of March with a cloudy, cool morning and a moderating afternoon that turned out sunny and quite pleasant. Many more statistics to come for March in the next few days, but I already have averaged out the temperatures and I easily had my warmest March ever, by several degrees over the previously warmest March in my 34 years of records. Friends came over during the afternoon and we worked on trying to install some new weather station software in my system. We encountered problems and the installation did not complete. Will have to get a hold of tech support sometime soon and figure out what is wrong in order to complete the installation. We took my current weather station down for a short time in the afternoon and had a bit of a problem bringing it back up. I lost some data for a short time period so if anything looks awry in my daily statistics please let me know. It should be cloudy overnight with lows remaining in the 40s. Our first day of April should be partly cloudy with highs in the upper 60s. A 40 POP for showers on Sunday night with lows in the 40s. Monday should find the sun returning with highs in the upper 60s. Tuesday and Wednesday should find a bit of a warm up with highs of 70-75. Wednesday afternoon should find a 30 POP for showers. Thereafter the rest of the week should be sunny and cooler, with highs in the 60-65 range and lows around 40. Pretty dry, through the end of March I have only had about 65% of normal precipitation so far this year.

Saturday's precipitation: 0

VP2 data for Saturday as follows :

High temp 61.3° (1549)

Low temp 45.5° (0000)

Obs temp tonight 47.2°

Relative humidity ranged from a max of 91% (0715) to a low of 64% (1650)

Dew point ranged from 51° to 41°.

Peak Wind Gust 18 MPH from the NE (1708)

Pressures ranged from 29.93"(2200) to 29.76"(0455).

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 47.2° and cloudy. Winds 4 MPH from the N, barometer 29.93" and rising, humidity 80% with a dew point of 41°.

Currently at 0345 EDT the temp is 46.3°, Cloudy, Winds 1 MPH from the NE, barometer 29.91" and steady, humidity 83% with a dew point of 41°.

The current radar is showing an area of rain over central Illinois, and a smaller area over coastal eastern North Carolina.

Kevin the Walrus from Gaithersburg Maryland, signing off early on Sunday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Sunday, April 1, 2012

Sunday was a mostly sunny, mild start to the month of April but with clouds increasing in the late afternoon and light showers breaking out mid-late evening and extending now into the early Monday morning hours. Moderate cold frontal passage. Should be sunny on Monday, with patchy frost possible on Monday night/Tuesday morning. Looks like mostly a sunny to partly cloudy week and cool at first with temps around 60-65 on Monday and Tuesday. Upper 60s to around 70 Wednesday through Friday, with 70s expected for next weekend.

Sunday's precipitation: 0.02" (LR and VP2)

April total precipitation: 0.02"

2012 annual YTD precipitation total: 6.40"

VP2 data for Sunday as follows :

High temp 64.5° (1640)

Low temp 46.0° (0436)

Obs temp tonight 54.0°

Relative humidity ranged from a max of 93% (2347) to a low of 51% (1630)

Dew point ranged from 53° to 41°.

Peak Wind Gust 12 MPH from the E (1610)

Pressures ranged from 29.94"(0902) to 29.59"(2355).

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 54.0° and cloudy with light rain falling. Winds Calm, barometer 29.59" and falling, humidity 93% with a dew point of 52°.

Currently at 0241 EDT the temp is 52.1°, Cloudy with light rain, Winds 2 MPH from the N, barometer 29.62" and steady, humidity 95% with a dew point of 51°. Rainfall since midnight 0.11" (VP2).

The current radar is showing showers streaming SE out of western PA into Maryland and my area. This pattern should keep up for the next few hours but clearing should be well underway by sunrise.

Kevin the Walrus from Gaithersburg Maryland, signing off early on Monday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Monday, April 2, 2012

Monday started with clouds and light rain during the first few hours, then clearing by sunrise leading to a cool, sunny day. Tonight we have a frost advisory, with lows by sunrise expected to be in the mid 30s. Sunny on Tuesday with highs in the upper 60s. Similar conditions, perhaps a few more clouds, on Wednesday. On Thursday sunny and cooler, with highs in the upper 50s. Sunny on Friday and through the weekend, a slow warmup with highs by Easter Sunday around 70. Really getting dry around here despite the light rain at the beginning of the day. That light amount dried off by evening, and with no real rain expected over the next several days we are going to continue to dry out.

Monday's precipitation: 0.11" (LR and VP2)

Max rain rate (MRR) 0.24"/hr @ 0110

April total precipitation: 0.13"

2012 annual YTD precipitation total: 6.51"

VP2 data for Monday as follows :

High temp 61.2° (1732)

Low temp 43.8° (2359)

Obs temp tonight 43.8°

Relative humidity ranged from a max of 95% (0107) to a low of 29% (1743)

Dew point ranged from 52° to 27°.

Peak Wind Gust 21 MPH from the N (1042)

Pressures ranged from 29.96"(2352) to 29.58"(0010).

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 43.8° and clear. Winds Calm, barometer 29.96" and rising, humidity 70% with a dew point of 35°.

Currently at 0310 EDT the temp is 39.7°, Clear, Winds Calm, barometer 30.01" and rising, humidity 76% with a dew point of 33°.

The current radar is showing showers in parts of WI and the upper peninsula of MI. Clear otherwise, north of Florida.

Kevin the Walrus from Gaithersburg Maryland, signing off early on Tuesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Tuesday started out a bit frosty with the low for the day approaching the freezing mark but not quite getting there, but there probably was frost. Sunny and warmer temps took over in the afternoon, and this evening has been a milder one compared with the past few nights. Our cool HIGH pressure has moved offshore and a return flow of warmer air has also brought in some high clouds. Radar showing some widely scattered showers out there right now, so the 20% chance of rain overnight and into the morning hours might get a few spots a bit of rain over the next 8-10 hours. Upper 50s by day and mid 30s by night for Thursday under sunny to partly cloudy skies should be the line for Thursday, with slow, dry moderation through the weekend, with highs on Sat and Sun in the upper 60s. Early next week looks like the earliest chance for rain (30-40 POP as it stands right now) if we don't get any tonight/Wed morning. We might see more frost Thursday night as we drop down into the mid 30s. I found an 0.1" error in my seasonal snowfall I have been reporting. My 5.0" total is rather anemic, and actually for my 34 year period of record it turns out to be a record low amount of snow for the entire season. With the very slim chance of measurable snow in April still around, I can't close the books totally on our total seasonal snowfall amount, but it getting more and more likely to be my final seasonal amount. The old seasonal snowfall record is 5.5" in the 2001-2002 winter.

Seasonal snowfall: 5.0" (correction to this total after exhaustive study of my February records where the error first occurred)

VP2 data for Tuesday as follows :

High temp 70.4° (1730)

Low temp 33.8° (0719)

Obs temp tonight 50.8°

Relative humidity ranged from a max of 90% (0807) to a low of 17% (1501)

Dew point ranged from 37° to 18°.

Peak Wind Gust 13 MPH from the N (1519)

Pressures ranged from 30.08"(0857) to 29.81"(2359).

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 50.8° and PCldy. Winds Calm, barometer 29.81" and falling, humidity 59% with a dew point of 37°.

Currently at 0228 EDT the temp is 48.1°, PCldy, Winds Calm, barometer 29.78" and falling, humidity 70% with a dew point of 39°.

The current radar is showing widely scattered, mostly light showers in my region, with other areas in parts of southern IL and parts of the Carolinas.

Kevin the Walrus from Gaithersburg Maryland, signing off early on Wednesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Wednesday dawned cloudy with a few sprinkles on the windshield as I left for work. Nothing more fell, storms were tracking south of me in central and southern VA and far southern MD. The cold front took a while to clear the clouds and warm temps out, it was in the mid 70s through the late afternoon before the temps started to fall, along with an increase in northerly winds and dropping dew points. Through the weekend sun and cool temps, mostly in the 50s by day and upper 30s by night should be the rule. Next week starts out with a 30 POP for showers on Monday and Tuesday, but continued cool temps as we appear to be in an extended cool period, especially in relation to the conditions from a few short weeks ago. Leafage has been accelerated this spring, and by mid-April we probably will be out in full leaf for most species.

Wednesday's precipitation: T

Seasonal snowfall: 5.0"

VP2 data for Wednesday as follows:

High temp 75.1° (1731)

Low temp 46.7° (0459)

Obs temp tonight 57.2°

Relative humidity ranged from a max of 88% (0742) to a low of 24% (1911)

Dew point ranged from 54° to 25°.

Peak Wind Gust 15 MPH from the N (2115)

Pressures ranged from 29.82"(0004) to 29.59"(1729).

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 57.2° and Clear. Winds 4 MPH from the NNW, barometer 29.75" and rising, humidity 33% with a dew point of 28°.

Currently at 0246 EDT the temp is 50.8°, Clear, Winds Calm, barometer 29.80" and rising, humidity 47% with a dew point of 31°.

The current radar is showing rain showers along the cold front that passed through my area during Wednesday, pushing well to the south and southwest over North Carolina, TN, and KY among other states to my south.

Kevin the Walrus from Gaithersburg Maryland, signing off early on Thursday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Thursday, April 5, 2012

Thursday was sunny and cool, with high clouds at times. Noticed the high clouds near sunset, and was looking for sun dogs but didn't see any. We should drop into the mid 30s by sunrise, with frost possible. The next several days should remain cooler than it has been, with highs in the upper 50s on Friday (and lows in the low 30s with frost likely and possibly some freezing temps), low to mid 60s over the Easter weekend with mostly sunny skies, then a 30 POP for showers on Monday and Tuesday along with partly to mostly cloudy skies, with high temps in the mid-upper 50s. Wednesday and Thursday looks sunny to partly cloudy and continued cool, with highs in the mid 50s. No real good chances for rain in sight.

VP2 data for Thursday as follows:

High temp 60.1° (1714)

Low temp 40.7° (0726)

Obs temp tonight 42.8°

Relative humidity ranged from a max of 76% (2352) to a low of 32% (0001)

Dew point ranged from 36° to 27°.

Peak Wind Gust 15 MPH from the NW (0353)

Pressures ranged from 29.92"(0816) to 29.75"(0000).

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 48.2° and Clear. Winds Calm, barometer 29.92" and rising, humidity 76% with a dew point of 36°.

Currently at 0201 EDT the temp is 43.8°, Clear, Winds 2 MPH from the NNE, barometer 29.97" and rising, humidity 60% with a dew point of 31°.

The current radar is showing rain showers over most of North Carolina and eastern Tennessee along the stalled frontal boundary that came through my area yesterday. Not moving much, and certainly not moving this way.

Kevin the Walrus from Gaithersburg Maryland, signing off early on Friday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Friday, April 6, 2012

Friday was sunny and cool once again, breezy at times, with nary a cloud in sight most of the day. We should drop into the low 30s by sunrise, with a freeze warning posted till 9 AM. Saturday should see sunny skies and highs in the low 60s with lows in the mid 30s, then upper 60s on Easter Sunday with more sun. Easter Sunday Sunrise services should be spectacular. Monday more clouds come in as our next cold front moves in. Temps in the low 60s with a 30 POP for rain showers. Our only chance for rain for the next week as it looks. Tuesday should see a return to sunny skies and a high in the upper 50s. Wednesday through Friday should see sun and highs in the mid to upper 50s. Lows most of the week should be in the 30s.

Friday's precipitation: 0

VP2 data for Friday as follows:

High temp 61.7° (1717)

Low temp 36.1° (0730)

Obs temp tonight 45.1°

Relative humidity ranged from a max of 77% (0001) to a low of 22% (1835)

Dew point ranged from 36° to 20°.

Peak Wind Gust 20 MPH from the N (1107)

Pressures ranged from 30.12"(2358) to 29.92"(0000).

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 45.1° and Clear. Winds Calm, barometer 30.12" and rising, humidity 45% with a dew point of 25°.

Currently at 0410 EDT the temp is 39.2°, Clear, Winds Calm, barometer 30.16" and rising, humidity 54% with a dew point of 24°.

The current radar is showing no rain over the Eastern United States, excluding Florida.

Kevin the Walrus from Gaithersburg Maryland, signing off early on Saturday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Saturday, April 7, 2012

Saturday was sunny but a bit warmer in the afternoon after another cool overnight. No clouds that I saw, and I was outside for a part of the afternoon. Another cool night tonight, with lows by sunrise looking to be in the upper 30s. Dew points have risen a bit, after bottoming out at 16° on Saturday afternoon. Sunny and a bit warmer for Easter Sunday, with high temps in the mid-upper 60s. Monday should see sunny skies during the day, highs in the upper 60s with increasing SW winds as cold front approaches. There will be a 40 POP for showers on Monday night, then clearing on Tuesday and cooler, with highs in the upper 50s. An upper level disturbance will give us cloudy skies on Wednesday with highs in the upper 50s and a 30 POP for showers. Thereafter the rest of the week should be dry and remaining cool, highs in the upper 50s on Thursday and low 60s on Friday. With the low humidity and soil moisture and the increase in winds on Sunday and Monday, there is a RED FLAG warning out for increased brush and forest fire danger through Sunday at this point but probably will be extended through Monday during daylight hours.

VP2 data for Saturday as follows:

High temp 64.9° (1723)

Low temp 35.8° (0552)

Obs temp tonight 48.2°

Relative humidity ranged from a max of 69% (0750) to a low of 19% (1618)

Dew point ranged from 29° to 16°.

Peak Wind Gust 21 MPH from the N (1515)

Pressures ranged from 30.25"(0941) to 30.08"(1903).

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 48.2° and Clear. Winds Calm, barometer 30.13" and rising, humidity 41% with a dew point of 25°.

Currently at 0428 EDT the temp is 39.9°, Clear, Winds Calm, barometer 30.09" and falling, humidity 64% with a dew point of 29°.

The current radar is showing an area of snow over most of New Brunswick CA spilling over into parts of Maine, and also a strip of rain showers oriented SSE/NNW through the upper and lower peninsulas of MI and through most of portions of OH.

Kevin the Walrus from Gaithersburg Maryland, signing off early on Sunday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Easter Sunday, April 8, 2012

Sunday was yet another sunny day but with some clouds in the late afternoon that cleared away by early evening. Warmer, we popped into the low 70s just before the clouds moved in. We had another early morning in the 30s, but no freeze. With the dry conditions we have a RED FLAG warning posted for brush and forest fire danger from dry vegetation and low relative humidities. We might have a shot at freezing mins this week as a generally cool, slightly unsettled pattern takes hold for a good part of the week. A 30 POP for showers on Monday and Wednesday, with highs on Monday in the upper 60s and mid-upper 50s Tuesday through Thursday, with partly cloudy skies on Tuesday and Thursday. Getting over the 60 mark on Friday with more sun, then into the upper 60s on Saturday and 70s on Sunday with continued sunny skies. We might be spared a real freeze despite some 30s mins some nights by the increase in cloud cover. The high elevations of WV above 3500 feet look to get a bit of snow this week in the unstable conditions with steep lapse rates as you go up in elevation.

Sunday's precipitation: 0

VP2 data for Sunday as follows:

High temp 71.1° (1605)

Low temp 37.2° (0655)

Obs temp tonight 56.7°

Relative humidity ranged from a max of 76% (0718) to a low of 21% (1355)

Dew point ranged from 40° to 24°.

Peak Wind Gust 18 MPH from the W (1626)

Pressures ranged from 30.14"(0002) to 29.84"(1614).

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 56.7° and Clear. Winds 4 MPH from the W, barometer 29.92" and steady, humidity 37% with a dew point of 30°.

Currently at 0152 EDT the temp is 53.0°, Clear, Winds 2 MPH from the W, barometer 29.93" and steady, humidity 38% with a dew point of 28°.

The current radar is showing an area of light, scattered snow/rain/mixed precipitation over much of Maine and northern New England. Also scattered light rain showers over parts of OH and northern IN and IL around Chicago.

Kevin the Walrus from Gaithersburg Maryland, signing off early on Monday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Monday, April 9, 2012

Monday was back to work day and a sunny turned a bit cloudy day with increasing breezes as a cold front passed through our area. Some showers scattered about this evening but I didn't get anything measureable - most action appeared to be south of my location. Temps will be going down to about 40 by morning. Variable clouds on Tuesday with high temps around 60. Mostly cloudy and a bit colder Tuesday night, with lows in the mid 30s, frost not likely due to the clouds. Could be some snow up in the highest mountain ridges to the west of me. Party cloudy with highs only in the low 50s on Wednesday, with sun on Thursday and highs in the mid 50s. A gradual warmup under mostly sunny skies through Monday, as highs on Friday and Saturday in the 60s give way to highs in the upper 70s on Sunday and near 80 on Monday. Still quite dry, still have a RED FLAG warning out for forest and brush fires in most areas of the state.

Monday's precipitation: 0

VP2 data for Monday as follows:

High temp 64.9° (1550)

Low temp 47.0° (0632)

Obs temp tonight 50.8°

Relative humidity ranged from a max of 59% (2343) to a low of 28% (1328)

Dew point ranged from 37° to 23°.

Peak Wind Gust 23 MPH from the SW (1610)

Pressures ranged from 29.95"(0652) to 29.79"(1608).

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 50.8° and Partly Cloudy. Winds Calm, barometer 29.87" and steady, humidity 59% with a dew point of 37°.

Currently at 0222 EDT the temp is 44.9°, PCldy, Winds Calm, barometer 29.84" and falling, humidity 75% with a dew point of 37°.

The current radar is showing a line of showers over southern VA and coastal MD heading south and east away from my area. Also showing up are light instability showers over the mtns of western VA and WV, possibly falling as snow in the highest elevations.

Kevin the Walrus from Gaithersburg Maryland, signing off early on Tuesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Tuesday was sunny and breezy, with gradually falling temperatures as the day wore on and a cold front moved through our region. The next few nights we will be flirting with the freezing mark, with lows in the mid 30s. Wednesday should see mostly cloudy skies and cool, highs only in the low 50s, with a slight chance (20 POP) for rain showers, with possible snow showers up in the mountains above 3000 feet well to my west. A gradual warmup should start on Thursday, with highs in the upper 50s to low 60s, then low to mid 60s on Friday, low 70s on Saturday and upper 70s on Sunday. We may go over the 80 mark on Monday as warm conditions return. Some clouds at times, but no real rain expected for the foreseeable future. Still quite dry, we had a RED FLAG warning out for forest and brush fires in most areas of the state on Tuesday. With relative humidity going up on Wednesday and mostly cloudy skies with the slight shower chance, the outdoor fire threat should lessen somewhat.

VP2 data for Tuesday as follows:

High temp 64.0° (1606)

Low temp 40.4° (0658)

Obs temp tonight 44.0°

Relative humidity ranged from a max of 89% (0747) to a low of 24% (1610)

Dew point ranged from 40° to 24°.

Peak Wind Gust 20 MPH from the NE (2155)

Pressures ranged from 29.93"(2357) to 29.73"(1622).

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 44.0° and PCldy. Winds 2 MPH from the NW, barometer 29.93" and rising, humidity 49% with a dew point of 26°.

Currently at 0212 EDT the temp is 40.8°, PCldy, Winds 2 MPH from the W, barometer 29.92" and steady, humidity 59% with a dew point of 27°.

The current radar is showing light rain/snow showers over sections of WV, PA and OH to my NW, along with light, scattered rain showers over parts of coastal North Carolina. Also some mixed rain and snow showers over parts of northern MI.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Wednesday was partly cloudy, breezy at times, and quite cool, probably will be our coolest max temp of the month. Great clouds out there at times today, lots of virga around in the instability - and some rain showers in the region, mixed with snow and graupel in a few lucky spots (but not in my backyard unfortunately). Definitely had some light accumulating snowfall up in the high elevation country of beautiful wild West Virginia, along with sections of Virginia and Maryland about 3000 feet or thereabouts. Now the slow upturn to the temperatures through the weekend. Rain not likely for the next several days, not until next week at the earliest. Sunny and highs in the upper 50s on Thursday, around 60 or a bit higher on Friday with more sun, around 70 or low 70s on Saturday and continued sunny skies, and upper 70s to around 80 on sunny Sunday. Mid 80s on Monday as the sun really starts heating us up, and low 80s on Tuesday and Wednesday with a 30 POP for showers and storms. Mid 30s for lows the next 2 nights, then mid 40s over Friday and Saturday, and 50 or more for lows on Sunday night and into next week.

Wednesday's precipitation: 0

High temp 52.2° (1601)

Low temp 37.6° (0614)

Obs temp tonight 42.1°

Relative humidity ranged from a max of 77% (2109) to a low of 38% (1419)

Dew point ranged from 36° to 25°.

Peak Wind Gust 17 MPH from the NW (1414)

Pressures ranged from 30.08"(2346) to 29.90"(0435).

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 42.1° and PCldy. Winds Calm, barometer 30.08" and rising, humidity 76% with a dew point of 35°.

Currently at 0227 EDT the temp is 40.6°, PCldy, Winds 1 MPH from the NW, barometer 30.07" and steady, humidity 77% with a dew point of 34°.

The current radar is showing very light showers of rain/snow widely scattered over much of NY State and New England. Maryland appears clear at the present time.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Thursday, April 12, 2012

Thursday was sunny, still breezy at times, and a bit warmer than yesterday. There is a frost advisory out for overnight into Friday morning, with lows by morning expected to be in the mid 30s. This will be the last night for that type of advisory, as our big warmup has commenced. Sun will be featured over the next several days. Highs on Friday in the low to mid 60s, highs on Saturday into the 70s, and by Sunday up in the low 80s. Lows on Friday night should be in the 40s, then low 50s on Saturday night, then around 60 on Sunday morning. Mid 80s look good for Monday, as the heat reaches its peak. Tuesday and Wednesday a cold front approaching should give us a 40 POP for showers and thunderstorms with highs in the low 80s on Tuesday and then dropping down to the upper 60s on Wednesday. Cloudy skies, particularly overnight on Tuesday, should predominate. We sure could use the rain, hopefully this front will be able to kick off some significant rain for our area. Not sure at this point if that will actually happen. The RED FLAG warnings for outside fire threats continue.

High temp 59.2° (1655)

Low temp 38.5° (0653)

Obs temp tonight 43.7°

Relative humidity ranged from a max of 80% (0657) to a low of 33% (1625)

Dew point ranged from 37° to 29°.

Peak Wind Gust 17 MPH from the NW (1142)

Pressures ranged from 30.21"(2355) to 30.07"(0246).

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 43.7° and PCldy. Winds Calm, barometer 30.21" and rising, humidity 65% with a dew point of 33°.

Currently at 0218 EDT the temp is 41.5°, PCldy, Winds Calm, barometer 30.20" and steady, humidity 73% with a dew point of 33°.

The current radar is showing as all clear over the eastern United States north of Florida, with the slight exception of some light rain showers coming in from the west in eastern Missouri in the St Louis area.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Friday, April 13, 2012

Friday was sunny with milder temps in the afternoon after another night in the 30s. The warmup has started. One more night (tonight) in the 30s, then Saturday should be sunny with temps up into the low 70s. A 40 POP for scattered showers after midnight Saturday night, as a warm front passes through, and the result on Sunday and Monday is sunny skies with highs in the low 80s. Lows will be in the 50s. Sunny and a bit cooler on Tuesday with highs in the 70s then a 30 POP for showers on Tuesday night, then cooler on Wednesday and Thursday with highs in the upper 60s and lows in the upper 40s. What looked like a good shot of showers and storms yesterday is now lessening unfortunately- we really need the rain... As far as I know we are still in a heightened threat for wild fires, though I have not heard of any breakouts this week. My lawn watering continues.

High temp 65.5° (1713)

Low temp 37.1° (0659)

Obs temp tonight 45.3°

Relative humidity ranged from a max of 86% (0808) to a low of 27% (1706)

Dew point ranged from 38° to 30°.

Peak Wind Gust 14 MPH from the NW (1206)

Pressures ranged from 30.31"(0958) to 30.19"(0309).

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 45.3° and Clear. Winds Calm, barometer 30.24" and steady, humidity 71% with a dew point of 36°.

Currently at 0356 EDT the temp is 39.5°, Clear, Winds Calm, barometer 30.25" and steady, humidity 84% with a dew point of 35°.

The current radar is showing some showers and storms in south-central IL back into Missouri and a narrow line of showers through central WI.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Saturday, April 14, 2012

Saturday was sunny and warmer with high temps in the afternoon into the low 70s. Clouds were on the increase late in the afternoon and early evening, as a disturbance approached from OH and WV where a good bit of showers were occurring. Our dew points were in the 30s for most of the afternoon and early evening, so the precipitation really diminished coming into that dry air and trying to get over the mountains. Radar showed it falling, but it was mostly drying up as it fell through the dry atmosphere east of the mountains. I never recorded any measurable precipitation before or after midnight up to this point. after another night in the 30s. Some sprinkles and very light showers have been reported in some of the area. Dew points have finally risen into the low 50s in the early morning hours of Sunday as air temps have finally dropped into the upper 50s. Clouds may persist through part if not most of Sunday morning, but clearing should take over by midday, with temps really warming into the low 80s. Monday looks to be sunny and even warmer, with highs in the mid 80s. A gradual cooldown thereafter as temps rise into the 70s on Tuesday under cloudy skies, then 60s on Wednesday and Thursday with partly cloudy skies, before a warmup back into the 70s on Friday heading into the following weekend. I was relying on the rain I was hoping would fall and didn't water, now on Sunday I will definitely water in the afternoon. The tinder and brush are still dry and the heightened threat for outdoor fires is still quite in evidence.

High temp 73.6° (1612)

Low temp 38.4° (0615)

Obs temp tonight 60.5°

Relative humidity ranged from a max of 88% (0716) to a low of 23% (1356)

Dew point ranged from 48° to 33°.

Peak Wind Gust 11 MPH from the SE (1445)

Pressures ranged from 30.28"(0748) to 30.07"(1935).

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 60.5° and Cloudy. Winds Calm, barometer 30.07" and falling, humidity 62% with a dew point of 47°.

Currently at 0430 EDT the temp is 57.6°, Cloudy, Winds Calm, barometer 30.03" and falling, humidity 81% with a dew point of 52°.

The current radar is showing a broken, scattered pattern of showers streaming SE out of PA into NE Maryland, NE of my area, with more concentrated showers over DE and offshore from there and southern NJ. Also there is a cluster of showers and thundershowers in northern IL, southern WI, over southern Lake Michigan, and southern MI headed ESE.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Sunday, April 15, 2012

Sunday was sunny and even warmer as we went over the 80 mark as predicted. Clouds were prevalent early, and I did have an overnight sprinkle. Tonight warm southerly breezes are keeping temps in the 70s, even at this early morning hour. Dew points climbed all day, from the 40s through the 50s. Clear overnight, then sunny and very warm once again on Monday, with highs in the mid 80s. A dry cold front should pass through Monday night without much fanfare, lows in the upper 50s. Tuesday sunny with highs in the 70s. Clouds on Tuesday night and Wednesday, with no mention of rain officially, but I am hoping we can squeeze out a bit at some time during that period. Highs in the upper 60s on Wednesday, then dropping down into the upper 40s Wednesday night, then sunny with a high of about 70 on Thursday. Sunny with highs in the low to mid 70s on Friday, then an unsettled pattern over the weekend with showers and storms possible, particularly on Saturday. I watered pretty good this afternoon, no growth action noted as yet. Looks like watering will be the normal activity each day during the coming week.

Sunday's precipitation: T

High temp 82.5° (1625)

Low temp 55.0° (0719)

Obs temp tonight 73.4°

Relative humidity ranged from a max of 87% (0809) to a low of 39% (1634)

Dew point ranged from 58° to 46°.

Peak Wind Gust 13 MPH from the SW (2345)

Pressures ranged from 30.10"(1027) to 30.01"(1803).

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 73.4° and Clear. Winds 2 MPH from the W, barometer 30.01" and steady, humidity 59% with a dew point of 58°.

Currently at 0146 EDT the temp is 70.1°, Clear, Winds 2 MPH from the SW, barometer 30.01" and steady, humidity 68% with a dew point of 59°.

The current radar is showing a few decaying areas of light showers in parts of Massachusetts, and a good line of showers and storms from MI through IL, MO and AR, moving slowly E but individual storms moving NNE, with more scattered showers further west in WI and MN (decaying storms from earlier stronger action in that area.)

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Monday, April 16, 2012

Monday, back to work day, was sunny and even warmer than Sunday as we headed close to the 90 mark. Didn't reach it, and my 87 high wasn't even that close to my daily record high of 92 reached back in 2002. Dew points climbed into the 60s, and discomfort climbed accordingly. It looks like we have hit our last really hot day of the week, though it is still quite balmy overnight tonight. Tuesday should be sunny with highs in the low 70s. Wednesday looks to cool off even more under clouds, easterly winds bringing in cool moisture off the still chilly Atlantic Ocean, and a 40 POP for rain with highs in the low 60s and lows Wed night in the 40s. Sunny Thursday and Friday with highs in the upper 60s to lower 70s. The weekend looks unsettled with a 50 POP for showers and storms and highs in the low 70s on Saturday and 60s on Sunday. So hopefully this rain will really fall in earnest and relieve me from having to water for a while. My hose broke today and water flowed out of the broken section, so I had an automatic watering system accidentally set up. I couldn't even get water to come out of the end of the hose where it is supposed to come out. So I may have to get a new hose real soon.

Monday's precipitation: 0

High temp 86.9° (1715)

Low temp 59.4° (0653)

Obs temp tonight 72.2°

Relative humidity ranged from a max of 93% (0807) to a low of 38% (1532)

Dew point ranged from 64° to 56°.

Peak Wind Gust 13 MPH from the W (1535)

Pressures ranged from 30.07"(0853) to 29.92"(1759).

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 72.2° and Clear. Winds 1 MPH from the SE, barometer 29.99" and rising, humidity 65% with a dew point of 60°.

Currently at 0222 EDT the temp is 69.0°, PCldy, Winds Calm, barometer 30.01" and rising, humidity 61% with a dew point of 55°.

The current radar is showing very light, very scattered showers over parts of the NE and also way to my south over parts of TN and AL.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Tuesday was a partly cloudy day and pleasantly cooler than Monday, with high temps only in the low 70s and dew points dropping through the 50s into the 40s and 30s. The ceilings were high enough to permit clear sights of the Space Shuttle Discovery flying around town piggybacked on a 737 jet that many people got to see and take great pictures of at a variety of great spots here in the Washington DC area. Clouds have come in this evening, and should persist overnight and throughout Wednesday, with a 50 POP for rain on and off all day and evening, with high temps only about 60, even more to my liking with lows dropping into the 40s. Thursday and Friday should be sunny and pleasant with high temps in the upper 60s to mid 70s, with lows in the 40s. The weekend is looking cloudy with highs in the low 70s and a 50 POP for showers and thundershowers during the day on Saturday, and then showers likely (60 POP) on Saturday night and Sunday, with lows in the 50s and highs in the 60s. Rain showers should continue into Monday (60 POP) with a high around 60, dropping into the 40s Monday night and Partly cloudy on Tuesday with high temps in the low 60s. If we can really get some decent rain out of these better looking rain chances the next several days, my backyard grass seed will be quite happy and perhaps get the kick it needs to start sprouting and growing.

High temp 72.3° (0001)

Low temp 53.1° (2352)

Obs temp tonight 53.1°

Relative humidity ranged from a max of 69% (0100) to a low of 28% (1640)

Dew point ranged from 60° to 36°.

Peak Wind Gust 20 MPH from the N (1454)

Pressures ranged from 30.25"(1113) to 29.99"(0000).

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 53.1° and Cloudy. Winds Calm, barometer 30.22" and steady, humidity 65% with a dew point of 42°.

Currently at 0225 EDT the temp is 52.8°, Cloudy, Winds Calm, barometer 30.20" and falling, humidity 68% with a dew point of 42°.

The current radar is showing rain showers to my SW in sections of SW VA, southern WV, western NC and eastern TN headed slowly this way.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Wednesday was cloudy, cooler, with periods of light rain and fog. My future lawn really appreciated the moisture, and it was great to wash some of the pollen away too. Overnight we will remain damp and cloudy, but the rain has moved off to the east. Partly cloudy on Thursday, with highs around 70. Clearn and cool on Thursday night with lows in the 40s. Friday should be sunny with highs in the low 70s. Not as cool Friday night and becoming cloudy, with lows in the 50s. Mostly cloudy on Saturday with highs in the low 70s and a 70 POP for showers and storms. Saturday night should see rain (80 POP) showers with temps in the 50s. Showers will continue through Monday, 80 POP on Sunday and Sunday night, then a 50 POP on Monday, with temps mostly in the 50s. Clouds still around on Tuesday as we will be slow to clear out from this slow moving storm system that should give beneficial rains up and down the East Coast. Clearing out finally on Wednesday with high temps in the 60s.

Wednesday's precipitation: 0.28" (LR) 0.22" (VP2) Max Rain Rate (MRR) 0.11" (1600)

April total precipitation: 0.41"

2012 annual YTD precipitation total: 6.79"

High temp 57.1° (0424)

Low temp 50.8° (1705)

Obs temp tonight 50.9°

Relative humidity ranged from a max of 96% (2335) to a low of 47% (0450)

Dew point ranged from 50° to 37°.

Peak Wind Gust 8 MPH from the NW (0345)

Pressures ranged from 30.29"(1136) to 30.16"(2250).

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 50.9° and Cloudy with light fog. Winds Calm, barometer 30.17" and steady, humidity 96% with a dew point of 50°.

Currently at 0204 EDT the temp is 50.8°, Cloudy with light fog, Winds Calm, barometer 30.14" and falling, humidity 96% with a dew point of 50°.

The current radar is showing rain showers to my E moving easterly out into the ocean. Rain showers/light rain/drizzle hug the coast from Cape Cod through the Carolinas at this time.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Thursday, April 19, 2012

Thursday was cloudy at start, with some light overnight drizzle and fog during the early morning hours, but then became sunny by midday and pleasant, with high temps reaching the upper 60s by late afternoon/early evening. Clear and cool tonight. Friday should be sunny and a bit warmer with highs in the low to mid 70s. Saturday will find clouds returning as a cold front draws closer from the midwest, with an 80 POP for showers and storms and high temps in the 70s. Saturday night should feature more of the same early in the evening, but precip should tail off by later in the evening with lows in the 50s. At this point, talk of a coastal storm coming up the East Coast is still there, though forecast models of late were trending the storm track further off the coast, with lesser rain chances on Sunday and Monday than originally thought (and hoped for), but that still could change. Right now still a 60 POP for rain showers on Sunday with a 50 POP on Sunday night and Monday.

Thursday's precipitation: T

High temp 68.7° (1804)

Low temp 49.8° (0610)

Obs temp tonight 53.6°

Relative humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0812) to a low of 46% (0611)

Dew point ranged from 53° to 47°.

Peak Wind Gust 8 MPH from the NE (1452)

Pressures ranged from 30.17"(0006) to 30.03"(1836).

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 53.6° and Clear. Winds Calm, barometer 30.05" and steady, humidity 84% with a dew point of 49°.

Currently at 0242 EDT the temp is 49.1°, Clear, Winds Calm, barometer 30.02" and falling, humidity 91% with a dew point of 47°.

Current radar shows showers and a few storms, and some mixed precip over parts of WI and MI at this time.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Friday, April 20, 2012

Friday was a mostly sunny, milder day to close out the workweek. After a clear night tonight clouds should overspread the area by midday Saturday with a 50 POP for showers and possibly a thundershower on Saturday afternoon as the cold front, currently out in the midwest, heads our way. High temps in the low 70s. A 90 POP for showers on Saturday night with lows dropping into the upper 40s by morning. A 100 POP for rain on Sunday as a coastal storm runs up the East Coast in more of a winter type pattern, with high temps only in the low 50s. The 100 POP for rain should continue into Sunday night, with a 50 POP for showers on Monday and continued cool with highs in the low 50s and lows in the upper 30s. Snow is possible in the high country to my west. Tuesday shows a continued chance for showers (40 POP) with cool temps continuing, highs in the 50s once again. Wednesday should find partly cloudy skies and highs recovering a bit, into the low 60s. Our dry soils and gardens will benefit greatly at this significant precipitation event over the weekend and into the early part of next week.

High temp 71.9° (1610)

Low temp 45.3° (0633)

Obs temp tonight 58.6°

Relative humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0851) to a low of 56% (1340)

Dew point ranged from 56° to 43°.

Peak Wind Gust 11 MPH from the E (1521)

Pressures ranged from 30.05"(0003) to 29.84"(2357).

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 58.6° and Clear. Winds 1 MPH from the ESE, barometer 29.84" and falling, humidity 85% with a dew point of 54°.

Currently at 0431 EDT the temp is 56.0°, Clear, Winds Calm, barometer 29.79" and falling, humidity 92% with a dew point of 54°.

Current radar has showers along the cold front running through OH and KY, oriented NE/SW and headed in a SE direction, towards this area.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Saturday, April 21, 2012

Most of Saturday turned out sunny and warm, with temps rising close to the 80 mark and the predicted rain showers holding off till the early evening, with just light rain falling mostly between 7 and 7:30 PM at my location. Dark, ominous- looking clouds overspread our area in the late afternoon, and from the 78.7 high temp we had just after 5 pm, by 8 pm we were in the mid 50s! Other areas got more precipitation and a bit earlier than I did, but most amounts were lighter and of a shorter duration than expected. Saturday night has been a cloudy one but rainless. However, as I type this early Sunday morning, the radar is showing the rain showers just entering the Washington DC area, and should be starting here any minute. Rain is expected to persist all day Sunday and into the evening, with a 90 POP. More than an inch of rain is expected in most areas, perhaps up to 2 inches. Cool temps will predominate Sunday and Monday with highs only reaching about 50, with lows in the low 40s and a chilly wind chill making it seem like late winter. Snow is expected in the mountain areas to my west in WV, western MD, and many areas in western PA with significant falls expected (12-18 inches in some spots). Winter Storm watches have already been posted throughout that region. Lighter showers (30 POP) on Monday as the storm moves NE into New England. We should remain cool the rest of the week, but with the sun returning, we should reach into the 60s from Tuesday on through the rest of the week. Lows may be into the 30s on Monday night, but should be in the 40s the rest of the week.

Saturday's precipitation: 0.08" (LR) 0.07" (VP2) 0.27" Max rain rate (MRR) @ 1907

April total precipitation: 0.49"

2012 annual YTD precipitation total: 6.87"

High temp 78.7° (1510)

Low temp 53.9° (0709)

Obs temp tonight 54.1°

Relative humidity ranged from a max of 96% (0749) to a low of 40% (1712)

Dew point ranged from 61° to 51°.

Peak Wind Gust 18 MPH from the N (1823)

Pressures ranged from 29.84"(0000) to 29.62"(1657).

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 54.1° and Cloudy. Winds Calm, barometer 29.82" and rising, humidity 91% with a dew point of 52°.

Currently at 0625 EDT the temp is 49.6°, Cloudy, Winds 5 MPH from the NW , barometer 29.78" and falling, humidity 85% with a dew point of 46°.

Current radar has showers advancing northward from VA and NC into the DC area at this time. It should be raining here within the hour.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Sunday, April 22, 2012

Well Sunday was as advertised- very cool for this time in April, and very wet. Rain started around 9 AM and continued off and on (but mostly on- steady light rain for the most part, particularly towards the evening.) I had a bit of fog this evening. Temperatures stayed in the mid 40s most of the day. Rain stopped just prior to midnight, and it is just cloudy out there right now. Radar shows a smaller batch of showers approaching from the south that should give us a bit more in an hour or two. Temps have dropped down to around 40 and might be in the upper 30s by sunrise. A 70 POP for rain showers on Monday with high temps only in the mid 40s under cloudy skies, and mid 30s with clouds on Monday night. Cloudy and a bit milder on Tuesday with highs in the upper 50s, then low 60s with partly cloudy skies on Wednesday. Wednesday night another round of showers should come in with a 50 POP, carrying into Thursday with highs in the 50s. Friday should clear at least partially and feature high temps in the 60s. So it will be a cool, unsettled week, perfect for my budding grass seed.

Sunday's precipitation: 1.06" (LR) 1.19" (VP2) 0.28" Max rain rate (MRR) @ 1741

April total precipitation: 1.55"

2012 annual YTD precipitation total: 7.93"

High temp 54.1° (0000)

Low temp 44.3° (2152)

Obs temp tonight 44.4°

Relative humidity ranged from a max of 100% (2017) to a low of 84% (0530)

Dew point ranged from 52° to 43°

Peak Wind Gust 17 MPH from the N (2149)

Pressures ranged from 29.82"(0000) to 29.43"(2350).

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 44.4° and Cloudy. Winds Calm, barometer 29.44" and falling, humidity 96% with a dew point of 43°.

Currently at 0240 EDT the temp is 40.5°, Cloudy, Winds 3 MPH from the SW , barometer 29.39" and falling, humidity 96% with a dew point of 40°.

Current radar shows light showers to my south in central VA heading N, and should be here within the next hour or two.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Monday, April 23, 2012

Monday was even cooler than Sunday, with clouds and occasional light showers predominating. Those showers that came in on the backside of the LOW that gave us the big rains of Sunday were very close to snow, and there was some reports of snow observed in the northern parts of my county in the afternoon. Snows to my west up in the WV, western MD, and PA mountains were of historic proportions in some locations, upwards to just about 2 feet in some places (23.1" report I heard for Laurel Summit PA) There were occasional brief glimpses of sun, and tonight skies have cleared out somewhat with temps dropping into the 30s once again. Clouds should stick around for the next few days, as we slowly warm up into the upper 50s on Tuesday and into the 60s on Wednesday, then low 70s on Thursday, with light to moderate chances of showers (increasing to a 50 POP for showers and storms on Thursday as another cold front heads our way). Sun should finally make a full appearance on Friday with highs in the low 60s. The weekend should see some partial sun, with temps in the 60s on Saturday and 70s on Sunday.

Monday's precipitation: 0.10" (LR and VP2) 0.05" Max rain rate (MRR) @ 0536

April total precipitation: 1.65"

2012 annual YTD precipitation total: 8.03"

High temp 46.4° (1348)

Low temp 38.4° (0721)

Obs temp tonight 42.2°

Relative humidity ranged from a max of 96% (0000) to a low of 71% (2309)

Dew point ranged from 43° to 34°

Peak Wind Gust 18 MPH from the SW (1525)

Pressures ranged from 29.57"(2223) to 29.37"(1648).

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 42.2° and Cloudy. Winds 3 MPH from the W, barometer 29.56" and rising, humidity 76% with a dew point of 35°.

Currently at 0258 EDT the temp is 39.5°, Clear, Winds Calm, barometer 29.54" and falling, humidity 88% with a dew point of 36°.

Current radar is showing light snow shower activity over western NY state and NW PA, streaming off Lake Erie on the backside of the LOW. We are in a large area of LOW pressure and have been for a few days now.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Tuesday saw a return of the sun and subsequently milder temperatures under that strong April sun. Still some clouds around, and high temps just above 60 is still below normal. It should be sunny on Wednesday, with highs in the mid 60s. Thereafter it goes downhill, with an 80 POP for showers and storms on Thursday, mostly in the morning, and temps around 70. Partly cloudy and cooler on Friday, back down in the low 60s. Clouds and a 50-60 POP for showers all weekend, with temps no higher than about 60 with lows in the 40s. Sunny and cool weather should return for the beginning of next week, as we enter into May on Tuesday.

High temp 60.9° (1615)

Low temp 37.1° (0645)

Obs temp tonight 45.9°

Relative humidity ranged from a max of 92% (0330) to a low of 23% (1615)

Dew point ranged from 38° to 23°

Peak Wind Gust 17 MPH from the WSW (1600)

Pressures ranged from 29.77"(2350) to 29.53"(0210).

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 45.9° and Clear. Winds Calm, barometer 29.77" and steady, humidity 69% with a dew point of 36°.

Currently at 0201 EDT the temp is 41.3°, Clear, Winds Calm, barometer 29.77" and steady, humidity 81% with a dew point of 36°.

Current radar is showing very light, widely scattered showers up in the mountains of VA, WV, and PA moving slowly SE. A much more concentrated, heavier band of rain activity can be found in SW VA, W NC, NE TN, and much of eastern KY at this time, also moving SE.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Wednesday saw more sun and milder temperatures into the mid 60s. Drying out once again, but this time we should be getting rain on Thursday, with chances from both warm and cold front passages at various parts of the day. Temperatures could reach 70-75 if the warm front passes through early enough. Sunny and cooler weather on Friday with highs back down into the 60s, with lows in the 40s, then clouding over again as the cold front stalls out to our south and LOWs form on the front and give us a 60 POP for showers over Saturday but now clearing up on Sunday, a change from previous forecasts. Next week as we return to work the sun will predominate, under relatively cooler but calm skies as we start May on Tuesday.

Wednesday's precipitation: 0

High temp 67.4° (1815)

Low temp 36.6° (0641)

Obs temp tonight 50.2°

Relative humidity ranged from a max of 93% (0739) to a low of 25% (1653)

Dew point ranged from 42° to 30°

Peak Wind Gust 13 MPH from the SW (1345)

Pressures ranged from 29.90"(2225) to 29.77"(0101).

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 50.2° and Cloudy. Winds Calm, barometer 29.90" and rising, humidity 72% with a dew point of 41°.

Currently at 0223 EDT the temp is 51.7°, Cloudy, Winds Calm, barometer 29.85" and falling, humidity 69% with a dew point of 42°.

Current radar is showing a large mass of showers and storms in southern OH and WV, SW VA, and parts of NC. It is moving SE and looks like it will pass to my south and miss my locale. Lighter, more scattered rain showers can be found over parts of North central MD and PA but appear to be drying up.

Archived