Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
What's the Weather Where You are?

terpguy

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Saturday, July 28, 2012

Saturday was very warm and humid, but sunny and not too bad. Some scattered storms around this afternoon and evening, but nothing here at my station, but rain did fall within 5 miles of here, up north towards Damascus. Attended the semi-annual Herb Close weather party, about 45 miles NNE of my location, up in NE Carroll County not far from the PA border. We viewed a few DVDs I brought on a few 2004 Florida hurricanes (Charley, Frances, Ivan, and Jeanne) that I got for free at the recent American Weather Conference. Also viewed a DVD that Gary Gallaher brought made by the Delaware State Historical Society on the March 1962 super coastal storm in honor of the storm's 50th anniversary. We had internet access so we were checking real-time radars for activity, and we had a small cell fire up right over our location and move easterly. We took pics of the towering cu and some of us witnessed the small shower further north towards Hanover PA (Melrose) on a nearby weather station tour. Great food spread, which included home made birthday cake for yours truly (July 29), Marty Brumback (July 30) and Gary Gallaher (July 23). I gave out snow measuring lawn sticks (can measure up to a foot) to all the party attendees who wanted them- courtesy of a recent deal on EBay of 12 sticks for $15. Plus plenty of great weather talk and social interaction. Sunday should be sunny with high temps in the upper 80s. Most of the coming week should see similar high temps in the upper 80s with sunny to partly cloudy skies and a 30 POP for showers and storms as we transition into August. However, a notable exception is for Monday and Tuesday to close out July, with a 50 POP for showers/storms on Monday and Monday night and a 60 POP for showers/storms during the day on Tuesday. Should be a bit cloudier on those days also. Lows mostly will be in the upper 60s to lower 70s.

Saturday's precipitation: 0

July's total precipitation 3.03"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 20.35"

VP2 data for Saturday as follows:

High temp 88.5° (1549) (90.7° R.S.)

(R.S. stands for my recently re-established Radio Shack wireless thermometer being used as a backup)

Low temp 70.4° (0625) (70.3° R.S.)

Obs temp tonight 74.5° (VP2) M (R.S.)

Peak Wind Gust 12 MPH from the N (1852)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 94% (0433) to a low of 53% (1531)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 73° to 67°.

Pressures ranged from 29.96"(2358) to 29.86"(1801).

At midnight obs, temp was 74.5°(VP2)/M(R.S.), PCloudy, Winds 8 MPH from the NE, Pressure 29.96" and steady, Humidity 78% with a dew point of 67°.

Currently at 0531 EDT, the temp is 68.2°(VP2)/68.0°(R.S.), PCldy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.96" and steady, humidity 89% with the dew point at 65°.

Current radar shows our earlier area showers well off the NJ/DE/MD coast, with additional light showers in sections of NE PA and SE NY at this time.

Kevin Shaw of Gaithersburg Maryland signing off for early Sunday morning.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you Turtle and Dean! Hope it will be a great birthday. Got an early start on Friday at lunch at a cajun restaurant in nearby Bethesda with my friend Laura, and then on Saturday afternoon and evening had a semi-annual Herb Close ACON weather party - details in my daily wx post for Saturday elsewhere in this topic area. Dan Hanson came down for the party, a real special surprise.

Still logging in as walrus...

Happy Birthday Kevin...hope you have a good day!

--Turtle and the hub

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Sunday, July 29, 2012

Sunday was sunny, warm and moderately humid (dew points generally stayed in the 60s most of the day) with no rain. It was my 62nd birthday, so it was a busy day after sleeping in a bit. Went out to dinner, had birthday cake and a lot of great birthday wishes. Busy day tomorrow, as I take off from work for the day to get my car fixed/worked on, and continue my birthday celebrations a bit by going out for a yummy breakfast after dropping the car off at the Original Pancake House in Rockville. Looks like a partly cloudy to cloudy week, temps mostly in the upper 80s to around 90, with a 40 POP for showers/storms on Monday, a 50 POP on Monday night, a 60 POP on Tuesday and Tuesday night and a 50 POP on Wednesday. Other periods should be mostly dry. A 30 POP as it looks now for showers/storms on Saturday, but clear on Sunday, temps still up around 90 through the weekend. Low temps should mostly be in the upper 60s to lower 70s, as we head into August on Wednesday. Looks like a late rally to add to my sub-normal precipitation statistics for July, not sure I will make it up to normal though, unless I get a big tstorm cell to dump right over me, which in the summer is always possible but has not been occurring of late.

Sunday's precipitation: 0

VP2 data for Sunday as follows:

High temp 84.4° (1839) (85.5° R.S.)

(R.S. stands for my recently re-established Radio Shack wireless thermometer being used as a backup)

Low temp 67.2° (0640) (67.3° R.S.)

Obs temp tonight 72.0° (VP2) 71.8° (R.S.)

Peak Wind Gust 12 MPH from the N (1111)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 92% (0705) to a low of 59% (1826)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 70° to 64°.

Pressures ranged from 30.04"(2259) to 29.93"(0322).

At midnight obs, temp was 74.5°(VP2)/71.8°(R.S.), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure 30.04" and rising, Humidity 90% with a dew point of 69°.

Currently at 0150 EDT, the temp is 70.0°(VP2)/69.8°(R.S.), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.03" and steady, humidity 92% with the dew point at 68°.

Current radar shows the entire Eastern US north of Florida clear of any rainfall activity at this time.

Kevin the Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Monday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Monday, July 30, 2012

Monday was partly cloudy, warm and humid, with scattered cumulus in the afternoon that built into some beautiful towering CU dotting the sky, forming isolated showers in the region but nothing here as usual. Temps reached the mid 80s after another night in the mid 60s. Tonight should be cloudy with a 20 POP for isolated showers with lows in the upper 60s. Tomorrow should be partly cloudy with highs in the upper 80s and a 40 POP for showers/storms. Tuesday night, Wednesday and Wednesday night see mostly cloudy skies, a 50 POP for showers/storms with a high in the upper 80s and lows in the upper 60s. Thursday and Friday should be partly cloudy to sunny, with highs in the upper 80s on Thursday and low 90s on Friday. Chances for showers/storms (30 POP) on Saturday and sunny on Sunday, with highs around 90 and lows in the upper 60s.

Monday's precipitation: 0

VP2 data for Monday as follows:

High temp 85.5° (1611) (86.5° R.S.)

Low temp 66.7° (0614) (66.9° R.S.)

Obs temp tonight 76.4° (VP2) 76.3° (R.S.)

Peak Wind Gust 12 MPH from the NE (1530)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (0747) to a low of 58% (1624)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 73° to 65°.

Pressures ranged from 30.09"(0823) to 30.01"(1832).

At midnight obs, temp was 76.4°(VP2)/76.3°(R.S.), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure 30.05" and rising, Humidity 81% with a dew point of 70°.

Currently at 0138 EDT, the temp is 74.6°(VP2)/74.5°(R.S.), Clear, Winds 1 MPH from NE, Pressure at 30.04" and steady, humidity 84% with the dew point at 70°.

Current radar shows widely scattered showers in the VA/PA/WV/MD region.

Kevin the Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Tuesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Tuesday was another partly cloudy, warm and humid, with scattered cumulus in the afternoon that built into some beautiful towering CU dotting the sky like yesterday, but formed more numerous showers and thunderstorms, which we has one of in the late afternoon/early evening. My dog Flash is scared of thunder, and he was wearing his comforting Thundershirt to keep his thunder fears down a bit. More storms in the region later on in the evening in the last few hours of July, but most of the action stayed to the west and north in Virginia and northern/western MD and PA. All action dying out now, though a light shower overnight is still possible. Wednesday looks to be partly cloudy, very warm and humid once again with a 40 POP for showers/storms through the day and into the evening. High temps in the upper 80s. Lows in the upper 60s. Thursday and Friday look to dry out with high temps in the low 90s and lows in the low 70s. Over the weekend a 30 POP for showers/storms under partly cloudy, hot conditions with highs around 90 to lower 90s. More heat and humidity with a 30 POP for showers/storms look to continue into the beginnings of the new week as we head into August. At least now with August here we can think cooler thoughts with September coming as our next month.

Tuesday's precipitation: 0.01"

July's total precipitation 3.04"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 20.36"

VP2 data for Tuesday as follows:

High temp 86.1° (1528) (87.1° R.S.)

Low temp 69.6° (0634) (69.6° R.S.)

Obs temp tonight 72.7° (VP2) 72.5° (R.S.)

Peak Wind Gust 9 MPH from the SE (1629)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 95% (0712) to a low of 55% (1522)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 73° to 68°.

Pressures ranged from 30.05"(0001) to 29.90"(1844).

At midnight obs, temp was 72.7°(VP2)/72.5°(R.S.), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure 29.93" and rising, Humidity 84% with a dew point of 68°.

Currently at 0206 EDT, the temp is 70.7°(VP2)/70.5°(R.S.), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.90" and falling, humidity 90% with the dew point at 68°.

Current radar shows slowly dying areas of showers and storms over much of northern Virginia, not moving this way, just kind of retreating slowly southeastward as they slowly diminish in size and intensity. Also some storms/showers up in sections of PA and WV at this time.

Kevin the Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Wednesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Wednesday marked the start of the new month of August and the renewed enthusiasm of having September as now our next month, just around the corner in a few short weeks, and the hope of the start of cooler and drier weather on our way to the beloved winter months of cold and snow. And the beauty of the changing fall leaf color season, and the nip of frost on the pumpkin in the following month of October. Anyway, after I stop dreaming, reality is that heat and humidity is on agenda the next few days, and drying out with lesser chances for showers and storms. We should drop into the upper 60s tonight under clear skies, then up in the low 90s on Thursday with mostly sunny skies with the usual high dew points in the low 70s. Friday should see it get even hotter, up in the mid 90s, still sunny and humid. Over the weekend Saturday should see lower 90s with a 30 POP for showers and storms, then a 40 POP for showers/storms on Sunday with highs dropping down into the upper 80s, lows around 70. Monday should see a 50 POP for showers/ storms as a weak frontal system tries to pass through, and highs in the mid-upper 80s, depending on how cloudy our conditions are. Thereafter sunny to partly cloudy skies on Tuesday and Wednesday with seasonable high temps in the upper 80s, with lows in the upper 60s. July turned out warmer and a bit drier than normal, but not as hot as the last two Julys, which were my hottest 2 Julys ever. My max temps averaged below 90, unlike in 2010-2011 when they averaged above 90. More July 2012 statistics coming in the next few days so stay tuned!

Wednesday's precipitation: 0

August total precipitation: 0

VP2 data for Wednesday as follows:

High temp 85.5° (1719) (86.4° R.S.)

Low temp 69.2° (0524) (69.3° R.S.)

Obs temp tonight 74.8° (VP2) 74.5° (R.S.)

Peak Wind Gust 6 MPH from the NW (1307)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 95% (0723) to a low of 56% (1520)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 73° to 65°.

Pressures ranged from 29.94"(0100) to 29.82"(1731).

At midnight obs, temp was 74.8°(VP2)/74.5°(R.S.), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure 29.88" and steady, Humidity 87% with a dew point of 71°.

Currently at 0201 EDT, the temp is 71.8°(VP2)/71.6°(R.S.), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.87" and steady, humidity 92% with the dew point at 69°.

Current radar shows one small isolated shower in NE PA, and one isolated shower down in far southern VA, retreating south into a larger mass of showers in central North Carolina at this time. These cells are dying out in the calmer nighttime which lacks the daytime heating of the summer sun.

Kevin the Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Thursday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Thursday, August 2, 2012

Thursday cranked up the heat and humidity in what is probably one of many 90 days during August. Some isolated showers around the region but nothing at my location. Muggy overnight, with dew points and air temps staying above 70 as it looks like right now. Friday should be partly cloudy with a 20 POP for an isolated shower/storm with high temps in the low 90s. Lows mostly down in the low 70s. Saturday should be partly cloudy, hot and humid with a 30 POP for showers/storms and highs in the mid 90s. Sunday should be mostly cloudy with highs in the lower 90s and a 40 POP for showers/storms. Lows in the low 70s and Sunday night a 50 POP for showers/storms. Continued 50 POP for showers/storms on Monday with highs in the upper 80s. Monday night cloudy but rain chances ending, then the rest of the week at this point looking sunny to partly cloudy and dry, with highs in the upper 80s and lows in the upper 60s.

Thursday's precipitation: 0

VP2 data for Thursday as follows:

High temp 90.2° (1538) (90.9° R.S.)

Low temp 68.8° (0645) (68.9° R.S.)

Obs temp tonight 75.7° (VP2) 75.6° (R.S.)

Peak Wind Gust 8 MPH from the SE (1651)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (0724) to a low of 53% (1548)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 74° to 67°.

Pressures ranged from 29.94"(2355) to 29.86"(0345).

At midnight obs, temp was 75.7°(VP2)/75.6°(R.S.), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure 29.94" and rising, Humidity 88% with a dew point of 72°.

Currently at 0200 EDT, the temp is 74.3°(VP2)/74.1°(R.S.), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.95" and rising, humidity 91% with the dew point at 72°.

Current radar shows a slowly dying MCCS mass over western KY and southern IN at this time. How long it lasts as it moves slowly east in the normally dying environment of the overnight is the big question.

Kevin the Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Friday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Friday, August 3, 2012

Friday continued to crank up the heat and humidity in another +90 max temp day and +70 dew point day. Really oppressive out there today. Some isolated storms providing temporary relief in some spots in the region popped up but not here. Tonight and overnight we just got under 80 at about 2 AM, and should only get down into the mid 70s by sunrise. Tomorrow a 30 POP for showers/storms, partly cloudy with high temps in the low 90s, continuing into Sunday with similar conditions, lows in the low to mid 70s. The POP for showers/storms increases to 50 on Sunday night and Monday, as an upper Midwest frontal system at the present time moves into our area. Most of next week should be a bit cooler, with high temps in the upper 80s and lows in the upper 60s with a 30 POP for showers and storms at times after Monday under partly cloudy skies.

Friday's precipitation: 0

VP2 data for Friday as follows:

High temp 91.4° (1626) (92.3° R.S.)

Low temp 71.9° (0640) (71.8° R.S.)

Obs temp tonight 81.2° (VP2) 81.1° (R.S.)

Peak Wind Gust 9 MPH from the E (1320)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 94% (0715) to a low of 51% (1608)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 75° to 70°.

Pressures ranged from 30.08"(2350) to 29.93"(0306).

At midnight obs, temp was 81.2°(VP2)/81.1°(R.S.), Clear, Winds 1 MPH from the E, Pressure 30.08" and rising, Humidity 77% with a dew point of 73°.

Currently at 0305 EDT, the temp is 79.1°(VP2)/79.0°(R.S.), Clear, Winds 1 MPH from the E, Pressure at 30.08" and steady, humidity 87% with the dew point at 75°.

Current radar shows a few scattered showers down in the Carolinas and NW GA, along with an approaching N-S line of still strong storms advancing E into western WI from MN.

Kevin the Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Saturday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Saturday, August 4, 2012

Saturday continued to crank up the heat and humidity in another +90 max temp day and +70 dew point day. Seemed a bit less oppressive today, a fairly nice breeze at times, esp. in the afternoon when my friend Rick and I were working on cleaning my radiation shields and rain gauges in the backyard. However, it is still muggy and quite warm this evening and into the overnight, just getting under 80 once again about 2:30 AM, headed down only to the mid 70s by sunrise. Sunday should see partly cloudy skies in the AM, then cloudy in the PM with a 70 POP for showers/storms into the evening. Temps overnight once again in the 70s, then clouds giving way to some sun by the PM on Monday, after a 40 POP for showers/storms on Monday AM. Highs on Monday in the upper 80s. The rest of the week should find temps reaching the upper 80s by day and upper 60s to around 70 by night uand dry until Friday, when temps should rise into the low 90s with a 30 POP for showers/storms.

High temp 91.9° (1619) (92.8° R.S.)

Low temp 76.8° (0630) (76.6° R.S.)

Obs temp tonight 82.3° (VP2) 82.4° (R.S.)

Peak Wind Gust 12 MPH from the W (1344)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 93% (0624) to a low of 48% (1633)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 77° to 69°.

Pressures ranged from 30.16"(1112) to 30.08"(0127).

At midnight obs, temp was 82.3°(VP2)/82.4°(R.S.), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure 30.14" and rising, Humidity 69% with a dew point of 71°.

Currently at 0413 EDT, the temp is 78.9°(VP2)/78.8°(R.S.), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.13" and falling, humidity 81% with the dew point at 73°.

Current radar shows a small cluster of showers over eastern OH, plus a general area of showers in south and central IL, extending down into central and western KY and western TN.

Kevin the Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Sunday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Sunday, August 5, 2012

Sunday started out very warm and muggy till about mid-afternoon when clouds started to come in from the first wave of showers associated with a much awaited cold front. A light thundershower came through, and subsequent light showers added a few hundredths to the light thundershower activity. Rain showers are still on the radar scope late this evening, but are drying up as they move east out of the mountains at this time. More showers are still possible as we head into Monday, and the front sags just south of our area. The week ahead looks a bit iffy, best chances for sun on Tuesday. High temps should be in the mid-upper 80s and lows in the mid-upper 60s. Most of the week after Tuesday should carry at least a 30 POP for showers/storms as the front waggles back and forth in/near our area.By Friday POPs should increase to 40 as another front approaches our area, and should clear out by sometime next weekend with sunny skies and highs in the mid 80s by Sunday.

Sunday's precipitation: 0.21" (LR) 0.15" (VP2) Max rain rate 0.88" @ 1605

August total precipitation: 0.21"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 20.57"

High temp 92.5° (1530) (93.0° R.S.)

Low temp 73.9° (2212) (73.9° R.S.)

Obs temp tonight 74.3° (VP2) 74.3° (R.S.)

Peak Wind Gust 17 MPH from the SW (1557)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (2246) to a low of 53% (1509)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 76° to 71°.

Pressures ranged from 30.16"(0110) to 30.01"(1513).

At midnight obs, temp was 74.3°(VP2)/74.3°(R.S.), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure 30.05" and steady, Humidity 96% with a dew point of 73°.

Currently at 0302 EDT, the temp is 74.2°(VP2)/74.1°(R.S.), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.03" and falling, humidity 97% with the dew point at 73°.

Current radar shows scattered shower activity still out to our west but decreasing in coverage and intensity at this time as it moves in my direction.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Monday, August 6, 2012

Monday started out muggy and cloudy overnight, with a light shower in the early morning hours (.01"). Gradual clearing all day, partly to mostly cloudy with a bit drier air (dew points dropping under the 70 mark finally) and a bit cooler this evening. The high temps on Monday only reached the mid 80s, breaking our modest 4 day streak of 90 or greater. The next few days should be sunny to partly cloudy, a bit less muggy, with high temps around 90. Lows should dip into the upper 60s. Along about Thursday a 30 POP for showers/storms should creep into the forecast, with increased humidity and highs in the low 90s. By Friday mostly cloudy, a 50 POP for showers/storms as a midwest cold front approaches our area. High temps should be in the upper 80s, with lows in the upper 60s to low 70s. Friday night should clear out eventually and the weekend looks great right now, sunny and moderate temps with highs in the low-mid 80s and lower dew points. Mid 80s and sunny/dry conditions should persist into Monday as well.

Monday's precipitation: 0.01" (LR) 0.01" (VP2)

August total precipitation: 0.22"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 20.58"

High temp 87.4° (1844) (89.1° R.S.)

Low temp 72.6° (2357) (72.3° R.S.)

Obs temp tonight 72.6° (VP2) 72.3° (R.S.)

Peak Wind Gust 6 MPH from the SW (1026)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0111) to a low of 52% (1644)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 74° to 66°.

Pressures ranged from 30.09"(0929) to 29.99"(1735).

At midnight obs, temp was 72.6°(VP2)/72.3°(R.S.), PCldy, Winds Calm, Pressure 30.02" and steady, Humidity 86% with a dew point of 68°.

Currently at 0212 EDT, the temp is 70.5°(VP2)/70.3°(R.S.), PCldy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.00" and falling, humidity 91% with the dew point at 68°.

Current radar shows scattered shower activity in North Carolina and southern VA, and also in the upper peninsula of Michigan at this time.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Tuesday was moderately warm and muggy, but not without some drama down in southern Maryland with a report of a waterspout in the Patuxent River in the vicinity of Benedict MD. Storms clustered around this weak twister, as it did make some landfall I believe as an EF-0 briefly. Very local, just in this area. Nothing in my vicinity. Temps reached the mid 80s with dew points mostly in the upper 60s.Tonight cloudy with temps around 70. Partly cloudy on Wednesday and hot, with highs in the low 90s and a 30 POP for showers/storms. Lows Wed night in the low 70s, then upper 80s on Thursday to around 90 with a 50 POP for showers/storms. Continued 50 POP for showers/storms Thursday night with low 70s for temps, then on Friday and Saturday a 60 POP for showers/storms with highs dropping into the 80s on Friday and upper 70s on Saturday under cloudy skies. We should clear out on Sunday with highs in the low-mid 80s and drier, then Monday and Tuesday should continue with the sunny, dry weather with highs in the mid 80s.

Tuesday's precipitation: 0

August total precipitation: 0.22"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 20.58"

High temp 86.7° (1630) (87.3° R.S.)

Low temp 69.0° (0504) (69.1° R.S.)

Obs temp tonight 74.2° (VP2) 73.9° (R.S.)

Peak Wind Gust 8 MPH from the N (1740)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 92% (0334) to a low of 56% (1305)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 71° to 65°.

Pressures ranged from 30.03"(1010) to 29.95"(1747).

At midnight obs, temp was 74.2°(VP2)/73.9°(R.S.), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure 29.98" and steady, Humidity 89% with a dew point of 71°.

Currently at 0247 EDT, the temp is 72.2°(VP2)/72.1°(R.S.), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.96" and falling, humidity 93% with the dew point at 70°.

Current radar shows scattered shower activity in the offshore waters of North Carolina and Virgnia, and in South Carolina and points south and west of there.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Wednesday was moderately warm and a bit muggier than yesterday, with morning showers falling between 8 ad 9 AM for most of the day's rainfall, and a bit of a shower in the late afternoon. Tonight is warm and muggy, in the low 70s now, and probably will drop to around 70 by sunrise. Muggy and warm on Thursday, highs in the low 90s with a 40 POP for showers/storms, then a 50 POP for showers/storms on Thursday night with lows in the low 70s, as the cold front out in the midwest draws closer, then on Friday all day showers/storms with highs in the upper 80s (80 POP) extending well into the evening, with lows in the 70s, then a 50 POP for showers/storms remaining on Saturday, as the front finally pulls through the area. Clearing should commence late Saturday into the overnight, lows in the upper 60s. Sunday should be sunny, dry and warm, with highs in the mid 80s and lows in the 60s. Monday should keep the sun and dry conditions going another day, with highs in the upper 80s. I will be away starting late Thursday morning on a trip out to Whitehall MI to visit with my sister, who is having her 40th wedding anniversary on Saturday. If all goes well, I should be posting on Thursday night from a hotel in Cleveland from my laptop, then from my hotel room in the Whitehall MI area on Friday and Saturday night, then from Pittsburgh PA on Sunday night, then home again Monday night. That is if I can keep up the pace and get online OK and have time to post. So stay tuned!

Wednesday's precipitation: 0.13" (LR) 0.12" (VP2) Max rain rate 0.66"/hr (0814)

August total precipitation: 0.35"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 20.71"

High temp 86.6° (1702) (87.4° R.S.)

Low temp 71.3° (0504) (71.2° R.S.)

Obs temp tonight 73.7° (VP2) 73.4° (R.S.)

Peak Wind Gust 8 MPH from the E (1238)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (1006) to a low of 60% (1711)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 76° to 70°.

Pressures ranged from 30.01"(1020) to 29.93"(1631).

At midnight obs, temp was 73.7°(VP2)/73.4°(R.S.), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure 29.96" and steady, Humidity 94% with a dew point of 72°.

Currently at 0232 EDT, the temp is 71.6°(VP2)/71.4°(R.S.), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.94" and falling, humidity 95% with the dew point at 70°.

Current radar shows widely scattered shower activity in WV and PA, dying out somewhat in the tranquility of the overnight. Much more rain showers further west out in sections of OH, IN, MI, IL and WI at this time, heading this way on Thursday and Friday. I should have a rainy night in Cleveland on Thursday.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Well I have not posted since last Wednesday due to my travels to Michigan and back - we returned home at 6 PM on Monday and had a wonderful visit with my sister and saw all kinds of interesting scenery and diverse weather conditions. Hope to be able to tell some of you at least about it in the future days. No time now unfortunately. Just trying to get caught up. Had some rain here late last week, but today's rain was the first since Saturday. Light rain fell while I was asleep early this morning around 7 AM, and then I had sprinkles in the early evening tonight that did not add anything measurable to my totals for Tuesday. Muggy today, with dew points staying mostly in the 70s. This week looks to dry out with sunny conditions returning here for most of the week, with highs in the 80s on Wednesday then up around 90 on Thursday and Friday. 40 POP for showers/storms at the end of the week, then cooling off over the weekend, with highs only in the 80-85 range by Sunday.

Tuesday's precipitation: 0.16" (LR) 0.16" (VP2) Max rain rate 1.15"/hr (0654)

August total precipitation: 2.17" (subject to slight revision depending on data collected while away and still being analyzed) Annual YTD precipitation total: 22.53" (subject to slight revision depending on data collected while away and still being analyzed)

High temp 84.8° (1513) (85.5° R.S.)

Low temp 70.7° (0733) (70.7° R.S.)

Obs temp tonight 74.0° (VP2) 73.8° (R.S.)

Peak Wind Gust 7 MPH from the E (0123)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (0805) to a low of 57% (1424)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 76° to 66°.

Pressures ranged from 29.97"(0001) to 29.82"(1846).

At midnight obs, temp was 74.0°(VP2)/73.8°(R.S.), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure 29.88" and rising, Humidity 89% with a dew pt of 71°.

Currently at 0132 EDT, the temp is 71.6°(VP2)/71.2°(R.S.), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.87" and steady, humidity 93% with the dew point at 70°.

Current radar shows weakening shower activity moving eastward through NE MD and DE into NJ at this time, along with some showers well to my south in central VA and southern MD - nothing heavy like earlier, when severe storm warnings (including tornado warnings) were in place, mostly in the Baltimore area. Numerous power outages in certain locations in the Baltimore metro area.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Wednesday wasn't too bad a day, a bit cloudy early but cooler and gradually a bit drier as the day wore on. Temps barely got over the 80 mark to make for a pleasant day. Clear tonight, temps dropping into the mid 60s. Thursday should be sunny and warm, drier still with highs in the upper 80s. Clear Thursday night with lows in the low-mid 60s. Friday should by sunny early, but then a 60 POP for showers/storms in the afternoon and evening, with high temps in the upper 80s. Saturday still carries a 40 POP for showers/isolated t-storm but with highs only in the upper 70s with partly cloudy skies. Sunny with highs in the low 80s on Sunday, a pleasant day as it looks right now. Next week looks to remain relatively cool with 30 POPs for showers/storms with highs in the low 80s.

Wednesday's precipitation: 0

August total precipitation: 2.17" (subject to revision depending on data collected while away and still being analyzed) Annual YTD precipitation total: 22.53" (subject to revision depending on data collected while away and still being analyzed)

High temp 80.4° (1622) (80.6° RS)

(RS stands for my recently re-established Radio Shack wireless thermometer being used as a backup)

Low temp 67.3° (0632) (67.5° RS)

Obs temp tonight 69.4° (VP2) 69.4° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 7 MPH from the N (1237)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 95% (0529) to a low of 67% (1627)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 71° to 66°.

Pressures ranged from 29.93"(1203) to 29.85"(0503).

At midnight obs, temp was 69.4°(VP2)/69.4°(RS), Clear, Winds 2MPH from the W, Pressure 29.93" and steady, Humidity 90% with a dew point of 66°.

Currently at 0205 EDT, the temp is 68.3°(VP2)/68.2°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.94" and steady, humidity 90% with the dew point at 65°.

Current radar shows showers offshore and along parts of the Eastern New England coast and much of New Hampshire, also over parts of IL, central and northern WI and the upper peninsula of Michigan.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Thursday, August 16, 2012

Thursday wasn't too bad a day, lots of sun and lower dew points- first time in a while where dew points remained in the 60s all day. Clear tonight and another pleasant night, but warming up to 90 once again on Friday with a 60 POP for showers/storms by evening as a cold front approaches from the W. Showers/storms continuing overnight into Sat morning, then clearing off some on Sat afternoon and evening, with high temps in the low 80s and low temps in the 60s. On Sunday clouds will remain but no rainfall expected, with high temps only in the upper 70s. Early next week we should be sunny and pleasant, with highs in the 80-85 range and lows around 60. Shower/Storm possibilities may return by mid-late week.

Thursday's precipitation: 0

August total precipitation: 2.17" (subject to revision depending on data collected while away and still being analyzed) Annual YTD precipitation total: 22.53" (subject to revision depending on data collected while away and still being analyzed)

High temp 84.4° (1602) (86.0° RS)

(RS stands for my recently re-established Radio Shack wireless thermometer being used as a backup)

Low temp 64.2° (0645) (64.4° RS)

Obs temp tonight 70.4° (VP2) 70.2° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 10 MPH from the N (1414)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 94% (0654) to a low of 47% (1605)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 67° to 62°.

Pressures ranged from 30.01"(0821) to 29.90"(1954).

At midnight obs, temp was 70.4°(VP2)/70.2°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure 29.94" and rising, Humidity 84% with a dew point of 65°.

Currently at 0230 EDT, the temp is 68.0°(VP2)/68.0°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.92" and falling, humidity 89% with the dew point at 65°.

Current radar shows showers in quite a bit of KY and TN heading generally south from a dying out derecho that blew through that area earlier this evening. Gradually that area of showers will make its way into our area sometime Friday evening.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Friday, August 17, 2012

Friday was mostly cloudy, a bit warmer and more humid than yesterday with a few sun breaks from time to time. Evening showers were light as they lost some of their energy as they traveled over our hills to the west. Nothing out west of me now, so the 50 POP for showers tonight has come and gone. Saturday should be partly cloudy with just an isolated chance at a shower (20 POP) and cooler with highs in the lower 80s. Saturday night looks to clear out and drop into the upper 50s. I still will have to see it to believe it, but if it does drop below 60 it would be the first time since June 27 when I hit 56.6° for a low. Sunday looks partly cloudy with highs in the low 80s and a 40 POP for showers, then a 50 POP Sunday night with lows back up into the 60s, then showers likely on Monday (70 POP) with highs around 80. The rest of the week looks sunny to partly cloudy with highs in the low to mid 80s and lows mostly in the 60s - a 90 max doesn't look to be in our cards for a while.

Friday's precipitation: 0.08" (LR) 0.07" (VP2) 0.21" Max Rain Rate @ 2041

August total precipitation: 2.25" (subject to revision depending on data collected while away and still being analyzed) Annual YTD precipitation total: 22.61" (subject to revision depending on data collected while away and still being analyzed)

High temp 87.3° (1508) (87.6° RS)

Low temp 64.7° (0647) (64.4° RS)

Obs temp tonight 70.3° (VP2) 70.5° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 11 MPH from the E (1431)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 95% (0750) to a low of 46% (1514)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 70° to 63°.

Pressures ranged from 29.94"(0001) to 29.79"(1603).

At midnight obs, temp was 70.3°(VP2)/70.5°(RS), Cloudy with a bit of light fog, Winds Calm, Pressure 29.88" and rising, Humidity 95% with a dew point of 69°.

Currently at 0409 EDT, the temp is 66.1°(VP2)/66.4°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.87" and steady, humidity 93% with the dew point at 64°.

Current radar shows showers well to the east over the MD Eastern Shore, Delaware and up NE through NJ and heading NE away from me.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Saturday, August 18, 2012

Saturday was a nice, mostly sunny day, drying out and barely making it over the 80 mark, with dew points dropping into the mid 50s for a time in the late afternoon. Moisture has started to creep in during the evening/overnight hours, as the dew point has risen to the 60 mark and clouds have put a lid on the temps, keeping them in the low 60s and busting the forecasted low temps in the upper 50s. So that streak I mentioned last night is still in place, since June 27 I have yet to record a sub 60 minimum temperature. Clouds look ttake over on Sunday, highs around 80, and rain showers possibly developing by Sunday evening (40 POP) with lows in the 60s, then upper 70s on Monday under cloudy skies and a 50 POP for showers. A 40 POP for more showers early Monday evening then clearing out late and a mostly sunny week thereafter with high temps in the low-mid 80s and lows in the 60s.

August total precipitation: 2.25" (subject to revision depending on data collected while away and still being analyzed) Annual YTD precipitation total: 22.61" (subject to revision depending on data collected while away and still being analyzed)

High temp 80.7° (1608) (82.6° RS)

Low temp 64.8° (0640) (64.8° RS)

Obs temp tonight 64.8° (VP2) 64.8° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 9 MPH from the N (1249)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0749) to a low of 41% (1635)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 69° to 54°.

Pressures ranged from 29.95"(2252) to 29.87"(0346).

At midnight obs, temp was 64.8°(VP2)/64.8°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure 29.94" and steady, Humidity 87% with a dew point of 61°.

Currently at 0524 EDT, the temp is 63.4°(VP2)/63.7°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.94" and steady, humidity 87% with the dew point at 60°.

Current radar shows showers in sections of eastern TN and northern GA, starting to creep into a bit of southern VA at this time. Slowly headed in this general direction.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Sunday, August 19, 2012

Sunday was cloudy with rain showers, mostly in the morning, but then again at midnight, most all of that will go into Monday's total. Cooler today, with temps staying in the 70s. As I figured, the cloud deck coming in early in the morning definitely put a lid on dropping temps, so I once again didn't have a low temp in the 50s. Rain showers still around now so we may get more in the overnight hours (60 POP) , Cloudy Monday with a 50 POP for showers/storms, then a 40 POP for more showers on Monday night. The rest of the week looks sunny to partly cloudy with high temps mostly in the mid 80s with lows in the mid 60s. Slight chance for showers/storms on Wednesday (30 POP). Otherwise it looks like a dry week after Monday.

Saturday's precipitation: 0.01" (both VP2 and LR - my error from last night when I reported 0 - amounts below adjusted for this additional 0.01")

Sunday's precipitation 0.55" (LR) 0.44" (LR) 0.88" Max rain rate @ 1317.

August total precipitation: 2.81" (subject to revision depending on data collected while away and still being analyzed) Annual YTD precipitation total: 23.17" (subject to revision depending on data collected while away and still being analyzed)

High temp 75.3° (1254) (75.6° RS)

Low temp 62.7° (0235) (63.0° RS)

Obs temp tonight 66.3° (VP2) 66.6° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 7 MPH from the E (1249)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (2035) to a low of 76% (1054)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 68° to 59°.

Pressures ranged from 29.98"(1055) to 29.91"(1920).

At midnight obs, temp was 66.3°(VP2)/66.6°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 2 MPH from the NNW, Pressure 29.94" and steady, Humidity 97% with a dew point of 66°.

Currently at 0218 EDT, the temp is 65.1°(VP2)/65.5°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.90" and falling, humidity 97% with the dew point at 64°. VP2 rain gauge has totaled 0.14" of rain since midnight through 0201 EDT.

Current radar shows mostly showers offshore well to my SE and also up in western PA and eastern OH. Some very light showers diminishing in intensity are falling just to my west in eastern WV and northern VA at this time.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Monday, August 20, 2012

Monday was cloudy with rain showers, first in the early morning hours, then in a more significant shower from 6 to 6:30 PM. Cool temperatures with the cloudy skies held forth on Monday; highs were only in the 70s for the second day in a row. Tonight temps are in the low 60s but with the dew points also in the low 60s the temperature is not going to drop much more the rest of the night. There is a 20 POP for isolated showers/storms on Tuesday under partly cloudy skies with highs in the low-mid 80s. The rest of the week looks mostly sunny with highs climbing to the upper 80s by Friday and through the weekend, with lows mostly in the 60s. No further rains look to be on the horizon through the weekend.

Monday's precipitation 0.55" (LR) 0.77" (LR) 5.28" Max rain rate @ 1812

August total precipitation: 3.36"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 23.72"

High temp 76.7° (1651) (76.6° RS)

Low temp 63.1° (0235) (63.3° RS)

Obs temp tonight 63.2° (VP2) 63.3° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 9 MPH from the NE (1754)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (0706) to a low of 69% (1550)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 68° to 62°.

Pressures ranged from 29.99"(2351) to 29.86"(1556).

At midnight obs, temp was 63.2°(VP2)/63.3°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure 29.99" and rising, Humidity 97% with a dew point of 62°.

Currently at 0243 EDT, the temp is 62.4°(VP2)/62.6°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.00" and rising, humidity 97% with the dew point at 62°.

Current radar shows light showers diminishing in extent and intensity in parts of Eastern North Carolina at this time.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Tuesday was mostly sunny and milder, with highs up around 80. Isolated showers developed in the region in the evening, with the strongest one forming and sitting over the Washington Nationals' baseball stadium causing a delay in the game. Nothing here this evening - for the day a random light shower at 3:40 AM is all I got. A 20 POP for more isolated showers/storms on Wednesday, thereafter partly to mostly sunny skies through the weekend, with high temps in the mid-upper 80s.

Tuesday's precipitation 0.01"(LR) 0.01" (LR)

August total precipitation: 3.37"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 23.73"

High temp 79.5° (1600) (80.1° RS)

Low temp 60.7° (0535) (61.0° RS)

Obs temp tonight 66.4° (VP2) 66.4° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 8 MPH from the NNW (1600)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (0622) to a low of 52% (1507)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 66° to 60°.

Pressures ranged from 30.12"(2355) to 29.99"(0006).

At midnight obs, temp was 66.4°(VP2)/66.4°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure 30.12" and steady, Humidity 90% with a dew point of 64°.

Currently at 0232 EDT, the temp is 64.5°(VP2)/64.8°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.11" and steady, humidity 93% with the dew point at 63°.

Current radar shows an isolated shower over northern VA, headed NE (if it stays on track and maintains its intensity it will miss my locale to the north and west). More isolated, widely scattered light showers are falling in parts of VA and NC at this time.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Wednesday was mostly sunny and warmer still as temps climbed over the 80 mark, but then like yesterday clouded up late in the afternoon and we had another early evening shower (about an hour later than Monday), with the greatest intensity thundershower from about 7:15 PM till 7:45 PM, and then lighter rain thereafter till about 8:30 PM. Really got muggy thereafter and now in the late evening hours we have a bit of light fog. But the sky is mostly clear. Over the next several days, into next week, we should be sunny to partly cloudy with highs in the mid to mostly upper 80s, and lows in the mid to mostly upper 60s with little chance of any more rain. Of course, I said that last night for today - I can't rule out another isolated shower to form late tomorrow afternoon/early evening but not too likely.

Wednesday's precipitation 0.66"(LR) 0.54" (LR) 5.54"/hour max rain rate @ 1925 August total precipitation: 4.03" Annual YTD precipitation total: 24.39"

High temp 82.7° (1613) (83.1° RS)

Low temp 63.7° (0659) (63.9° RS)

Obs temp tonight 65.0° (VP2) 65.1° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 8 MPH from the SE (1859)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (2304) to a low of 52% (1513)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 68° to 62°.

Pressures ranged from 30.17"(0959) to 30.09"(1810).

At midnight obs, temp was 65.0°(VP2)/65.1°(RS), Clear with light fog, Winds Calm, Pressure 30.15" and steady, Humidity 96% with a dew point of 64°.

Currently at 0218 EDT, the temp is 63.6°(VP2)/63.9°(RS), Clear with light fog, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.15" and steady, humidity 96% with the dew point at 63°.

Current radar shows very light very scattered showers over parts of Wisconsin, and also down in the Carolinas, mostly offshore and in the southern reaches.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Thursday, August 23, 2012

Thursday was mostly sunny and warm, after some early morning/overnight light fog. A few scattered clouds but no evening showers today. A bit warmer this evening, but still will drop into the mid 60s tonight. Tomorrow should be mostly sunny and warm, with high temps in the upper 80s. Saturday should be similar then clouds increase for Sunday with a 30 POP for showers/storms and highs in the low 80s. The week ahead looks a bit unsettled, with highs in the low-mid 80s and a 30-40 POP for showers most days. Lows should generally be in the 60s. Next week wraps up the month of August, and the college football season starts! Yeah! That must mean cooler weather is on the way!

Thursday's precipitation 0

August total precipitation: 4.03"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 24.39"

High temp 83.3° (1700) (83.7° RS)

Low temp 61.2° (0653) (61.5° RS)

Obs temp tonight 69.4° (VP2) 69.3° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 5 MPH from the NW (1303)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 100% (0815) to a low of 50% (1731)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 70° to 60°.

Pressures ranged from 30.19"(1038) to 30.11"(1659).

At midnight obs, temp was 69.4°(VP2)/69.3°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure 30.14" and steady, Humidity 87% with a dew point of 65°.

Currently at 0216 EDT, the temp is 67.5°(VP2)/67.5°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.15" and steady, humidity 91% with the dew point at 65°.

Current radar shows showers entering NW Wisconsin from Minnesota, and also showers offshore from the North Carolina coast.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Friday, August 24, 2012

Friday was partly sunny and warm during the day, but with clouds overspreading the area during the evening hours in advance of moisture streaming northward out of a LOW currently spinning on the North Carolina coast. Showers are now down in southeastern Virginia and will be here sometime during the day on Saturday. Cloudy Saturday with a 60 POP for showers and high temps in the upper 70s. Continued showers Saturday night (60 POP continuing) with lows in the 60s. Sunday should be mostly cloudy and a continued threat for showers (50 POP) diminishing slowly (40 POP Sunday night) - highs a bit warmer in the low 80s and lows in the 60s. It should be sunny and warm on Monday with highs in the upper 80s then a 30 POP for showers/storms and highs in the mid 80s on Tuesday with lows generally in the 60s, then clearing and a bit cooler and drier on Wednesday with highs in the low-mid 80s the rest of the week, with lows somewhere in the 60s. Next week wraps up the month of August, and the college football season starts! Yeah! That must mean cooler weather is on the way! I don't see a major cool-down coming this way as yet and we may get some tropical moisture in here sometime late next week, depending on what Isaac does to our south, how close its remains track to our area.

Friday's precipitation 0

High temp 83.6° (1601) (84.0° RS)

Low temp 64.8° (0632) (65.1° RS)

Obs temp tonight 72.3° (VP2) 72.3° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 7 MPH from the NE (1242)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (0751) to a low of 52% (1554)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 70° to 63°.

Pressures ranged from 30.18"(1029) to 30.13"(1754).

At midnight obs, temp was 72.3°(VP2)/72.3°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure 30.17" and rising, Humidity 86% with a dew point of 68°.

Currently at 0433 EDT, the temp is 69.4°(VP2)/69.4°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.17" and steady, humidity 93% with the dew point at 67°.

Current radar shows showers down in eastern North Carolina spinning around the LOW there, streaming north into sections of SE VA, with rain entering MD but mostly all aloft at this time.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Saturday, August 25, 2012

Saturday was cloudy and threatening to rain at times, but other than a few sprinkles in the late AM (officially a Trace), I had nothing measurable all day. Temps were cooler than Friday as they stayed in the 70s all day. Still cloudy and damp now, showers are still mostly concentrated over on the MD/DE shore areas, where flooding occurred in some places on Saturday. Sunday should be cloudy with highs in the low 80s and a 60 POP for showers/storms during the day, and a 50 POP at night, with lows in the 60s. Monday should be partly cloudy with a 30 POP for showers/storms with high temps in the upper 80s and lows in the upper 60s. Tuesday looks similar with temps and precip chances. Wednesday through Friday should see partly cloudy to mostly sunny skies, with highs in the low-mid 80s and lows in the mid-upper 60s. Scattered, showery weather will probably return over the beginning of the Labor Day weekend. All of this may change if the remnants of Isaac come close to our area later in the upcoming week. Stay tuned for updates on that aspect of the forecast. No official mention of this happening has entered into the longer range forecasts as yet.

Saturday's precipitation: T

High temp 76.6° (1215) (76.8° RS)

(RS stands for my Radio Shack wireless thermometer being used as a backup)

Low temp 68.8° (0632) (68.9° RS)

Obs temp tonight 70.0° (VP2) 70.2° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 14 MPH from the E (1214)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 93% (0331) to a low of 65% (1621)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 69° to 63°.

Pressures ranged from 30.22"(1022) to 30.16"(0355).

At midnight obs, temp was 70.0°(VP2)/70.2°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 1 MPH from the ENE, Pressure 30.18" and steady, Humidity 88% with a dew point of 66°.

Currently at 0450 EDT, the temp is 71.1°(VP2)/71.1°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 1 MPH from the ENE, Pressure at 30.17" and steady, humidity 91% with the dew point at 68°.

Current radar shows mainly showers towards the MD/DE Eastern shore/coastline at this time, with widely scattered, light showers further west over our region.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Sunday, August 26, 2012

Sunday was cloudy, cool and damp with the long-awaited rains finally coming in the early afternoon amidst a sea of area severe storm warnings and later some flood warnings. A heavy thunderstorm from 1420-1515 gave me most of my precipitation for the day with a much smaller shower falling between 1715-1730. Temperatures stayed in the 70s all day, after barely dropping below 70 overnight. Tonight is another cloudy, damp night with temps in the upper 60s with some light fog forming. Monday should see more sun than clouds, with high temps in the upper 80s, and a 30 POP for showers/storms. For right now, that looks like the last of the rain for the upcoming week, until at the end of the week if we possibly get affected by the remains of Isaac. Most of the week should be sunny to partly cloudy with highs in the low to mid 80s and lows in the 60s. If Isaac's remains do affect our area, it won't be till the weekend, and it will just be mostly rain - not much wind.

Sunday's precipitation: 1.16" (LR) 0.80" (VP2) 4.03" Max Rain Rate (MRR) @ 1420

August total precipitation: 5.19"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 25.55"

High temp 78.6° (1153) (79.0° RS)

Low temp 69.0° (2339) (68.9° RS)

Obs temp tonight 69.0° (VP2) 68.9° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 14 MPH from the NE (1715)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (1638) to a low of 79% (1138)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 74° to 66°.

Pressures ranged from 30.23"(1038) to 30.17"(2013).

At midnight obs, temp was 69.0°(VP2)/68.9°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure 30.18" and steady, Humidity 96% with a dew point of 68°.

Currently at 0241 EDT, the temp is 69.3°(VP2)/69.3°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.14" and falling, humidity 97% with the dew point at 68°.

Current radar shows mainly showers dying out in far lower southern MD and adjoining VA, along with cold frontal passage assocatied activity running through eastern MI, central IN and southern IL at this time, heading this way for some activity late Monday.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Monday, August 27, 2012

Monday was partly cloudy, warmer and more humid as summer hasn't given up on our area just yet unfortunately. And it looks like by the end of the week we may approach 90,and stay there over the Labor Day weekend, depending on what the remains of Isaac does, if anything, in our area. Temps reached the mid 80s today with dew points climbing over the 70 mark. Tonight is cloudy and damp, with scattered showers in a line to my west that should come through sometime overnight if they hold together (50 POP). Temps look to stay around 70 overnight. Tuesday should see a 50 POP for showers in the morning, then clearing out and remaining sunny and warm the rest of the week, with temps in the mid 80s warming into the upper 80s to around 90 by Friday. The weekend looks cloudy to partly cloudy, very warm and very humid with 30 POPs at this time for showers/storms, depending on what the remains from Isaac does, if anything, to our area. Temps should be in the upper 80s and lows around 70, but could lower a bit if more clouds than sun predominates due to Isaac influences getting close.

Monday's precipitation: T

August total precipitation: 5.19" Annual YTD precipitation total: 25.55"

High temp 83.9° (1600) (84.0° RS)

Low temp 68.5° (0551) (68.5° RS)

Obs temp tonight 73.7° (VP2) 73.4° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 7 MPH from the SE (1315)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0201) to a low of 63% (1604)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 72° to 68°.

Pressures ranged from 30.18"(0003) to 29.97"(2359).

At midnight obs, temp was 73.7°(VP2)/73.4°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure 29.97" and steady, Humidity 87% with a dew point of 70°.

Currently at 0246 EDT, the temp is 73.6°(VP2)/73.4°(RS), Cloudy, Calm, Pressure at 29.92" and falling, humidity 87% with the dew point at 70°.

Current radar shows a line of showers oriented NE/SW to my west out in the mtns of western MD and WV heading slowly in this direction, along with a lot of shower clusters scattered throughout most of western and central PA.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Tuesday started out cloudy and warm, with light showers falling around 0600. Sunny skies followed for the most part for the rest of the day, drying out some with dew points dropping into the 60s but temps still rising into the mid 80s. Tonight under clear, drying skies we are currently in the mid 60s with low 60s expected by sunrise. Sunny and dry on Wednesday with highs in the low 80s, then tomorrow night looks like a possible below 60 reading, lows expected to be in the upper 50s. We shall see if we can get under that magical 60 mark, something we haven't done in about 2 months, since late June. Thursday looks to warm up a bit under sunny skies, with highs in the mid 80s and lows around 60. Friday warms up some more, as we may get over the 90 mark, in the low 90s. Saturday should be sunny with highs around 90. The rest of the Labor Day weekend looks a bit iffy thereafter, with a 30 POP for showers/ storms and highs in the upper 80s on Sunday and Monday, as some moisture from the remnants of Hurricane Isaac may entrain into our area. Low temps will be mainly in the 60s, though if the remnant low does get over us, we may have some muggy 70 nights mixed in there. Clearing skies with mid 80s expected by Tuesday as we return to work after the 3-day weekend.

Tuesday's precipitation: 0.02" (LR) 0.02" (VP2)

August total precipitation: 5.21"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 25.57"

High temp 85.0° (1451) (85.5° RS)

Low temp 68.1° (2357) (68.0° RS)

Obs temp tonight 68.1° (VP2) 68.0° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 12 MPH from the N (1110)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (0749) to a low of 49% (1535)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 72° to 63°.

Pressures ranged from 29.98"(0001) to 29.90"(1518).

At midnight obs, temp was 68.1°(VP2)/68.0°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure 29.96" and rising, Humidity 88% with a dew point of 65°.

Currently at 0212 EDT, the temp is 66.0°(VP2)/66.0°(RS), Clear, Calm, Pressure at 29.95" and steady, humidity 91% with the dew point at 63°.

Current radar shows showers retreating south through VA and NC with the cold front that passed through our area early on Tuesday.

Archived