• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
What's the Weather Where You are?

terpguy

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Tuesday featured cloudy, cold conditions with the threat of our first measurable snow. It didn't happen; we just got some light rain, mostly in the morning. Cleared off by evening. Temps remained in the 30s most of the day. A long dry spell looks to be taking shape for the rest of November and to start out December. Cold at first with highs in the 40s and lows in the 20s on Wednesday and Thursday, then warming by Sunday into the low 60s and lows in the low 40s. Light snow fell on Tuesday well to my west and north and in the higher elevation locations of PA and western MD.

Tuesday's precipitation: 0.19" (LR) 0.02" (VP2 - apparent blockage in this gauge that I will investigate and clean out in the coming dry days)

Seasonal snow/sleet: T

November total precipitation: 0.97"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 40.73"

VP2 data for Tuesday as follows:

High temp 40.2°(1547)(M RS - not functioning again - battery replacement time for sure!)

(RS stands for my Radio Shack wireless thermometer being used as a backup)

Low temp 33.8°(2030)(M RS)

Obs temp tonight 36.8°(VP2) M ° (RS) Erroneous report last night for RS obs temp of 27.3 - should have been showing M for missing)

Peak Wind Gust 14 MPH from the N (1712)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 95% (0753) to a low of 76% (0055)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 38° to 32°.

Pressures ranged from 30.249"(2157) to 30.20"(0620)

At midnight obs, temp was 36.8°(VP2)/M (RS), Clear, Winds Calm. Pressure at 30.28" and steady, humidity 88% with the dew point at 34°

Currently at 0148 EST, the temp is 36.6°(VP2)/M (RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.27" and steady, humidity 89% with dew point at 34°.

Currently radar is showing light snow over most of the Lake Michigan area, along with some light rain offshore of Cape Hatteras NC.

Kevin the Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Wednesday morning.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Wednesday featured a return of the sun and drying out from yesterday's light rain, with high temps in the mid 40s and the lowest readings in the low 30s just before midnight obs. Already down into the upper 20s now, should reach the mid 20s by sunrise. We should finish out the month of November dry and seasonably cold, and head into December on a milder trend. Sunny and upper 40s on Thursday and Friday, then low 50s on Saturday and upper 50s on Sunday, with low 60s early next week. Lows in the 20s through Thursday night, then into the 30s for lows over Friday and Saturday, then 40s on Sunday and Monday. A 30 POP for rain showers on Tuesday-Wednesday and mild, but that could change. For the first time in many months, and more details on this over the next few days, it looks like November will actually average below normal in temperature. Most definitely below normal in precipitation after a very wet October.

Wednesday's precipitation: 0

First, a correction to the time of the high temp on Tuesday, the high temp of 40.2° occurred at 0347 and not 1547 - I misread my display as a PM reading instead of AM. Many thanks to Dr. Holden for pointing this out.

VP2 data for Wednesday as follows:

High temp 46.7°(1448)(M RS - not functioning again - battery replacement time for sure!)

Low temp 31.0°(2359)(M RS)

Obs temp tonight 31.1°(VP2) M° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 14 MPH from the N (1214)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 90% (0205) to a low of 42% (1448)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 34° to 23°.

Pressures ranged from 30.40"(2351) to 30.26"(0135)

At midnight obs, temp was 31.1°(VP2)/M°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm. Pressure at 30.40" and rising, humidity 76% with the dew point at 24°

Currently at 0203 EST, the temp is 28.7°(VP2)/M (RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.41" and steady, humidity 82% with dew point at 24°.

Currently radar is showing light snow shower activity over sections of NY and northern New England, and scattered light mixed precipitation over parts of WI.

Kevin the Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Thursday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Thursday,November 29, 2012

Thursday dawned cold and clear. My morning low temp of 25.6 is actually my coldest reading so far this fall season, surpassing the 26.3 I had back on November 26 just a few days ago. Temps moderated in the afternoon sun up into the upper 40s but after sunset dropped back down and is now under 30° just a few mins after midnight. A long, slowly warming pattern looks to be taking hold as we head into December. Low 50s for highs on Friday and Saturday with lows in the 30s, upper 50s for highs on Sunday and low 60s possible on Monday and Tuesday of early next week. No rain in sight till possibly mid-week.

Thursday's precipitation: 0

VP2 data for Thursday as follows:

High temp 49.4°(1438)(M RS - not functioning again - battery replacement time for sure!)

Low temp 25.6°(0557)(M RS)

Obs temp tonight 30.2°(VP2) M° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 11 MPH from the NW (1141)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 92% (0341) to a low of 38% (1352)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 30° to 23°.

Pressures ranged from 30.49"(1034) to 30.36"(1508)

At midnight obs, temp was 30.2°(VP2)/M°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm. Pressure at 30.36" and steady, humidity 81% with the dew point at 25°

Currently at 0116 EST, the temp is 29.4°(VP2)/M (RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.36" and steady, humidity 83% with dew point at 25°.

Currently radar is not working right now, but is probably clear through most of the Eastern U.S.

Kevin the Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Friday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Friday, November 30, 2012

Friday finished out November with another early clear morning in the mid 20s rising into the low 50s in the afternoon sun. Clouds crept in during the evening hours as a weak front sagged down into our area from the north. The month of November finished out dry, and the 0.97" final monthly precip total wound up being my second driest November ever, only surpassed by the 0.38" that fell in November 1981. Quite a contrast to the records set on the wet side of things just last month in October! December is going to be starting out on a milder trend, with highs on Saturday in the 50s under early morning clouds, then clearing in the afternoon. Clouding up again Saturday night with lows in the upper 30s, then partly cloudy on Sunday with highs reaching into the low 60s. 60s by day, low 40s by night on Monday and Tuesday, with a 30 POP for showers on Tuesday evening, then a cool down through Thursday, with highs in the 50s on Wednesday and mid 40s on Thursday, with lows mostly in the 30s.

VP2 data for Friday as follows:

High temp 52.8°(1435)(M RS - not functioning again - battery replacement time for sure!)

Low temp 26.3°(0722)(M RS)

Obs temp tonight 33.2°(VP2) M° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 7 MPH from the N (1347)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 92% (0908) to a low of 44% (1433)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 34° to 23°.

Pressures ranged from 30.39"(0955) to 30.33"(1448)

At midnight obs, temp was 33.2°(VP2)/M°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm. Pressure at 30.38" and steady, humidity 82% with the dew point at 28°

Currently at 0306 EST, the temp is 34.1°(VP2)/M (RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.38" and steady, humidity 84% with dew point at 30°.

Currently radar is showing a light line of mostly light rain not hitting the ground moving through the area on a NE/SW line associated with the weak front. Radar returns over parts of VA along this line appear to be mixed precipitation types. Also up in PA this line appears that way. Light snow is appearing in lower NY state and southern New England, not sure if that snow is hitting the ground or not.

Kevin the snowwalrus of Gaithersburg signing off for now early on this Saturday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday, December 1, 2012

Saturday started December out cloudy and cool, with some light fog around in spots at times. Saw the clouds and fog breaking up early Sat afternoon on the drive through Maryland up to the NE corner in the town of Conowingo (most famous for the big dam on the Susquehanna River by the same name) where my wife and I picked up our third doggie from a kennel there. "Maggie" is asleep right now right at my feet. A bit rough right now getting used to new surroundings and also assimilating with the 2 dogs we already have. A dense fog advisory has been posted for our area till 9 AM (Sunday). Cloudy on Sunday with highs in the upper 50s, fog slowly burning off/lifting off. There is a 50 POP for showers Sunday evening, with lows in the 40s. Monday and Tuesday look to be mild and partly sunny with more early morning fog, with highs in the mid 60s and lows in the 40s. Tuesday night another round of showers (40 POP) with gradual cooling off the rest of the week to more seasonable high temps around 50 and lows mostly in the upper 20s to low 30s under mostly to partly sunny skies.

Saturday's total precipitation: 0

December total precipitation: 0.00"

VP2 data for Saturday as follows:

High temp 48.4°(1459)(M RS - not functioning again - battery replacement time for sure!)

Low temp 30.5°(0716)(M RS)

Obs temp tonight 34.3°(VP2) M° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 8 MPH from the NE (1005)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 100% (0906) to a low of 75% (1502)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 41° to 28°.

Pressures ranged from 30.48"(0939) to 30.37"(0345)

At midnight obs, temp was 34.3°(VP2)/M°(RS), Cloudy with light fog, Winds Calm. Pressure at 30.41" and steady, humidity 93% with the dew point at 33°

Currently at 0453 EST, the temp is 32.7°(VP2)/M (RS), Cloudy with fog, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.38" and falling, humidity 95% with dew point at 32°.

Currently radar is showing light snow over much of northern Maine with a mixed bag over parts of southern Maine, and a scattered area of showers through parts of the Midwest (MI, IN, OH) into southern Ontario running in a rough NE/SW line.

Kevin Shaw the snowwalrus of Gaithersburg signing off for now early on this Sunday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Sunday, December 2, 2012

Sunday started out very foggy, with dense fog overnight that fit in well with the dense fog advisory we were under till 9 AM. The fog burned off completely by late morning and the sun came out for a few hours that sent our high temp up into the mid 50s. Clouds came in during the later afternoon hours, and sprinkles fell in the late afternoon. Cloudy and mild tonight with lows going down only to the mid 40s. Clouds early then clearing off on Monday and Tuesday, with quite mild high temps up into the upper 60s, and lows in the 50s. Tuesday night we should see showers developing (50 POP) that should continue into Wednesday, associated with a cold front that will drop our temps into the low-mid 50s on Wednesday and mid 40s on Thursday under sunny to partly cloudy skies. Friday should start moderating up into the 50s once again under sunny skies.

My wife and I traveled to northeastern Maryland on Saturday (Conowingo MD) to get our newest family dog, Maggie, from the "Our Furry Friends" kennel there. She is about 1 year old and is about 30 pounds. Here is her picture, taken in our kitchen:

Maggie_December_2102_805.jpg

Sunday's precipitation: T

December total precipitation: T

VP2 data for Sunday as follows:

High temp 55.6°(1429)(M RS - not functioning again - battery replacement time for sure!)

Low temp 32.1°(0300)(M RS)

Obs temp tonight 50.4°(VP2) M° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 7 MPH from the E (1241)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0905) to a low of 68% (1430)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 49° to 31°.

Pressures ranged from 30.42"(0032) to 30.16"(1656)

At midnight obs, temp was 50.4°(VP2)/M°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm. Pressure at 30.18" and steady, humidity 92% with the dew point at 48°

Currently at 0238 EST, the temp is 46.1°(VP2)/M (RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.20" and steady, humidity 93% with dew point at 44°.

Currently radar is only light rain activity in eastern ME moving east into New Brunswick, along with showers moving offshore into the Atlantic Ocean from the central New England coast.

Kevin the Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Monday morning.

post-1259-0-85602200-1354520111_thumb.jp

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Monday, December 3, 2012

Monday was cloudy and foggy once again early morning, then some sun in the afternoon pushed our high temperature well in the 60s for our warmest reading in a while, but did not set a daily temp record (71 in 1998). Mild again tonight with light fog forming in spots again, as we approach the dew pt temp in the upper 40s. Tuesday should be partly cloudy and quite mild again, with high temps in the low 70s, which will flirt with a record for the date, which now stands at 73 set back in 1982. Tuesday evening clouds will predominate and continued mild, with a 50 POP for showers late/overnight as a front moves through. Morning showers on Wednesday (40 POP) with clearing thereafter - a sunny afternoon with high temps dropping down to the upper 50s. Clear on Wednesday night with lows dropping down into the 30s. Thursday should be sunny and cooler with highs in the mid 40s and lows around 30. Friday turns cloudy with highs in the upper 40s, then Friday night and Saturday a 40 POP for showers, highs in the 50s, lows in the 40s with a 30 POP for showers on Sunday.

Monday's precipitation: 0

VP2 data for Monday as follows:

High temp 67.0°(1452)(M RS - not functioning again - battery replacement time for sure!)

Low temp 41.5°(0802)(M RS)

Obs temp tonight 51.0°(VP2) M° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 6 MPH from the SW (1335)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (0922) to a low of 67% (1413)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 56° to 40°.

Pressures ranged from 30.29"(0952) to 30.16"(0038)

At midnight obs, temp was 51.0°(VP2)/M°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm. Pressure at 30.24" and steady, humidity 92% with the dew point at 49°

Currently at 0205 EST, the temp is 49.0°(VP2)/M (RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.24" and steady, humidity 94% with dew point at 47°.

Currently radar is showing a small area of rain in central PA moving E, and a SW/NE line of showers further out in the midwest (WI/IL), also heading generally E.

Kevin the walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Tuesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Tuesday was mostly sunny and warm for most of the day but with some fog in the morning, with temps topping the 70 mark but not setting a daily record, which was 73 set back in 1982. We should not hit that mark again for a while, hopefully not till next spring. Evening clouds have come in, but mild temps have persisted. Rain showers are out to my NW, but most of the showers appear to be moving north of my location up in parts of PA. Temps will be dropping on Wednesday under clearing skies after early morning possible light showers that won't amount to much, if any at all falls. Sunny skies for the rest of the week, with highs dropping through the 50s on Wednesday and in the 40s on Thursday, but warming up again on Friday back into the 50s then mild and partly to mostly cloudy over the weekend, with highs in the upper 50s on Saturday and low 60s on Sunday with a 30 POP for showers - lows around 40.

Tuesday's precipitation: 0

High temp 70.7°(1454)(M RS - not functioning again - battery replacement time for sure!)

Low temp 46.0°(0440)(M RS)

Obs temp tonight 63.1°(VP2) M° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 11 MPH from the W (2051)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 100% (0910) to a low of 59% (1353)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 57° to 44°.

Pressures ranged from 30.25"(0920) to 30.01"(2358)

At midnight obs, temp was 63.1°(VP2)/M°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 4 MPH from the SW Pressure at 30.01" and falling, humidity 63% with the dew point at 50°

Currently at 0242 EST, the temp is 59.9°(VP2)/M (RS), Cloudy, Winds 1 MPH from the W, Pressure at 30.01" and steady, humidity 70% with dew point at 50°.

Currently radar is showing scattered showers up in central/northern PA and points north into NY and New England, and another area in parts of WV and KY, all heading east or southeast. We might catch a small shower out of the WV activity, but it might miss us to the south.

Kevin the walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Wednesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Wednesday,Dec 5, 2012

Wednesday started out mild and cloudy, with showers around very early but nothing measurable at my station. Gradually colder through the day with clearing skies. Should be in the upper 20s by sunrise. Sunny and seasonably cold on Thursday, with highs in the mid 40s and lows in the 20s. Friday will be cloudy and a bit milder, highs around 50. Cloudy on Saturday after a 30 POP for showers overnight Friday with lows in the upper 30s to low 40s. Highs during the day on Saturday should be in the upper 50s. Sunday should be cloudy with highs in the mid 50s and a 50 POP for showers that should persist through Monday, peaking on Monday night with a 60 POP of likely shower activity. Then clearing skies on Tuesday and Wednesday, with highs in the mid-upper 40s and lows in the upper 20s to lower 30s.

High temp 63.2°(0007)

Low temp 36.8°(2356)

Obs temp tonight 36.8°(VP2)

Peak Wind Gust 20 MPH from the N (0854)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 73% (0346) to a low of 42% (1521)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 51° to 24°.

Pressures ranged from 30.33"(2255) to 29.99"(0127)

At midnight obs, temp was 36.8°(VP2), Clear, Winds 2 MPH from the NW Pressure at 30.31" and steady, humidity 61% with the dew point at 24°

Currently at 0218 EST, the temp is 32.0°(VP2), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.33" and steady, humidity 72% with dew point at 24°.

Currently radar is showing light snow/mixed precip over most of Wisconsin, with rain extending south into parts of Iowa.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Thursday, December 6, 2012

Thursday started out clear and frosty, with low temps in the upper 20s. It remained chilly all day, with highs only reaching the mid 40s. This evening it has clouded up as a weak warm front approaches us from the SW. There are some scattered light showers on the way from parts of VA and WV; temps are on the rise now towards the upper 30s so there should not be any issues of freezing precipitation by morning (projected shower period from about 5 AM to 10 AM- light amounts expected). Clouds and a 20 POP for showers on Friday with highs around 50. Through Monday it should be mostly cloudy, with highs in the 60s on Saturday falling into the 50s on Sunday and Monday, with increasing chances for precipitation, rising from a 40 POP on Sunday to a 60 POP on Monday night. Thereafter clearing skies and highs in the 40s with lows in the upper 20s on Wednesday, modifying slightly through Friday, with more and more clouds taking over.

High temp 44.3°(1450)

Low temp 27.8°(0721)

Obs temp tonight 36.7°(VP2)

Peak Wind Gust 9 MPH from the NW (0003)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 83% (0744) to a low of 44% (1451)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 29° to 23°.

Pressures ranged from 30.41"(1003) to 30.26"(2356)

At midnight obs, temp was 36.7°(VP2), Cloudy, Winds 4 MPH from the SSE Pressure at 30.26" and steady, humidity 75% with the dew point at 30°

Currently at 0222 EST, the temp is 37.4°(VP2), Cloudy, Winds 4 MPH from the SE, Pressure at 30.23" and falling, humidity 79% with the dew point at 31°.

Currently radar is showing widely scattered light rain showers off to our SW in parts of central VA and WV, heading this way.

Kevin the walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Friday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Friday, December 7, 2012

Friday was mostly cloudy with a bit of spotty light rain/drizzle, fog and slowly moderating temps. It looks like a cloudy weekend with rain possibilities coming in later in the weekend. Saturday should be cloudy and mild, with high temps around 60- possibly some light fog in the morning. Saturday night continued cloudy and mild with lows in the 40s. Sunday should see more clouds and a 50 POP for rain showers - cooler, highs in the upper 40s. A 70 POP for rain on Monday with clouds predominating and highs in the 40s. Tuesday and Wednesday should see clouds but with the threat of more rain diminished. We should be in the 40s with lows around 30. Thursday and Friday look to be sunny/partly cloudy with highs in the 40s and lows around 30.

Friday's precipitation: 0.01" (LR) 0.01" (VP2)

December total precipitation: 0.01"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 40.74"

High temp 49.6°(1451)

Low temp 36.7°(0000)

Obs temp tonight 47.6°(VP2)

Peak Wind Gust 8 MPH from the E (0018)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 92% (0816) to a low of 72% (1441)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 44° to 29°.

Pressures ranged from 30.26"(0001) to 29.98"(2359)

At midnight obs, temp was 47.6°(VP2), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.98" and falling, humidity 86% with the dew point at 44°

Currently at 0522 EST, the temp is 45.9°(VP2), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.92" and falling, humidity 91% with dew point at 44°.

Currently radar is showing most of the rain moving north through central NY state and New England with some mixed precip on the northern edges. More scattered rain/mixed precip out in parts of the midwest.

Kevin the Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Saturday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday,December 8,2012

Saturday was mostly cloudy and mild, with a bit of sun at times, and a spot of drizzle and fog in the evening. Light showers have fallen since midnight, only amounting to 0.01" so far (VP2). Looks like more substantial rain coming into our area from West Virginia later on this morning, a 100 POP on Sunday during the day, and some drizzle/fog at times. Through Tuesday, clouds and showers and mild temps in the 50s for highs and 40s for lows will continue at about a 50 POP, not a total washout but the threat will be there. Finally clearing skies on Tuesday night and cooler, with lows in the 30s and highs on Wednesday in the 40s, and through to the end of the week with similar conditions.

Saturday's precipitation: T

December total precipitation: 0.01"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 40.74"

High temp 61.7°(1459)

Low temp 45.8°(0516)

Obs temp tonight 51.6°(VP2)

Peak Wind Gust 7 MPH from the E (1543)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (0138) to a low of 69% (1501)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 53° to 43°.

Pressures ranged from 30.04"(2355) to 29.90"(1504)

At midnight obs, temp was 51.6°(VP2), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.04" and rising, humidity 93% with the dew point at 50°

Currently at 0407 EST, the temp is 50.2°(VP2), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.06" and rising, humidity 95% with dew point at 49°. Precip since midnight: 0.01" (VP2)

Currently radar is showing rain showers in WV heading this way and should be here by sunrise or thereabouts. More rain showing further west, particularly in Arkansas and western TN/KY at this time. Also some precip, mixed in places, in the more northern parts of the midwest.

Kevin the Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Sunday morning

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Sunday, December 9, 2012

Sunday was mostly cloudy and mild, with morning rain mostly falling between 6 and 8 am, then dry in the PM, but with increasing fog in the evening, and some drizzle. Warm front coming through, so temps have been rising slowly in the evening with the fog. Temps should hold pretty much where they are right now in the upper 40s. Monday will be cloudy with early morning fog (We are in a dense fog advisory until 9 AM) with a 50 POP for showers and even a possible thundershower, with highs in the 60s. A 60 POP for evening showers Monday night, with lows in the 40s. Tuesday should be a bit cloudy early, but then clearing and cooling off a bit, with afternoon highs around 50. It should be sunny and seasonable the rest of the week, with highs in the upper 40s to around 50 and lows mostly in the 30s.

Sunday's precipitation: 0.26" (LR) 0.21" (VP2) Max rain rate (MRR) 0.27" @ 0725

December total precipitation: 0.27"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 41.00"

High temp 51.6°(0000)

Low temp 47.0°(1646)

Obs temp tonight 47.7°(VP2)

Peak Wind Gust 13 MPH from the E (1135)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (1947) to a low of 91% (1258)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 50° to 46°.

Pressures ranged from 30.20"(1000) to 29.98"(2358)

At midnight obs, temp was 47.7°(VP2), Cloudy/Foggy/Drizzle, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.98" and falling, humidity 97% with the dew point at 47°

Currently at 0157 EST, the temp is 48.1°(VP2), Cloudy/Dense Fog/Drizzle, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.94" and falling, humidity 98% with a dew point of 48°.

Currently regional radar is showing rain showers moving NE in WV and OH into PA, and in DE moving into southern NJ.

Kevin the snowywalrus (hopefully soon!) of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Monday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Monday, December 10, 2012

Monday started in a dense fog,drizzle in the very early morning hours, but by the time I got up to go to work, the fog had burned off in my locality (8:30 AM). Stayed mostly cloudy all day, with showers threatening, but as far as I can tell only very light rain showers/drizzle fell as I only picked up a trace in the gauge all day. Mild all day with temps just topping the 60 mark by mid-afternoon. Just before obs the front passed through as the wind picked up from the west and the temperature started to drop. However, there still is a 60 POP for showers overnight, and the current radar at 0140 shows showers to my W/SW moving east that look to give us a quick shot of rain overnight. Sunny skies should develop by Tuesday afternoon, and maintain through the rest of the week. Some partly cloudy conditions might take over at times. Highs look to be in the mid-upper 40s through Thursday, with lows around 30. Friday temps should warm up a bit into the low 50s. I will be out of town starting mid-day tomorrow through mid-day Wednesday, attending a funeral for a close friend up in Delaware. I plan on taking my laptop in case I get the chance to get online at the motel in Delaware Tuesday evening, but I am not promising anything- I might not be back online to you till Wednesday night.

Monday's precipitation: T

December total precipitation: 0.27"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 41.00"

High temp 60.5°(1509)

Low temp 47.7°(0000)

Obs temp tonight 54.0°(VP2)

Peak Wind Gust 17 MPH from the W (2348)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 99% (0825) to a low of 79% (2359)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 58° to 47°.

Pressures ranged from 29.98"(0000) to 29.59"(1939)

At midnight obs, temp was 54.0°(VP2), Cloudy/Windy, Winds 17 MPH from the W, Pressure at 29.69" and rising, humidity 79% with the dew point at 48°

Currently at 0212 EST, the temp is 48.6°(VP2), Cloudy, Winds 8 MPH from the WNW, Pressure at 29.76" and rising, humidity 76% with a dew point of 41°.

Currently radar is showing showers over parts of central VA, moving E/NE towards Maryland - could have some rain overnight.

Kevin the Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Tuesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Tuesday, Dec 11 and Wednesday, Dec 12, 2012

I missed posting about Tuesday, being in Delaware for the funeral and burial of our dear departed friend in weather and life, Gary Gallaher. Basic statistics for Tuesday include a high temp of 54.1 (0005), low temp of 37.2 (2303). Precip of 0.05" from an overnight light shower around 0330. PWG for the day was 21 MPH from the ESE @ 0003. Pressure varied between 30.25"(2351) and 29.68"(0001). Humidity varied between 90%(0359) and 57%(1319) - dew pt between 48 and 31. Most of the day was partly cloudy, varied cloud formations/types.

Wednesday was cooler with variable clouds - some interesting cloud formations observed on the way back home from Delaware. Some mid-high altitude virga at times. Tonight temps continue to drop under clearing skies, through the 30s - we probably will wind up in the upper 20s by sunrise. Sunny through Saturday, in the 40s on Thursday, low 50s on Friday and Saturday with lows mostly in the upper 20s to low 30s. Thereafter it appears that we have an extended cloudy period from Sunday through Wednesday, with a 50 POP as of right now for precipitation through this period. Temps should be slowly dropping - from low 50s on Sunday to the low 40s for highs on Wednesday- lows mostly in the 30s. Some discussion about a slow moving storm mid-week with rain/snow line close enough to our area to bear watching.

December total precipitation: 0.32"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 41.05"

High temp 45.4°(1245)

Low temp 35.0°(0344)

Obs temp tonight 35.1°(VP2)

Peak Wind Gust 9 MPH from the NW (0046)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 85% (0518) to a low of 55% (1242)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 32° to 28°.

Pressures ranged from 30.46"(2223) to 30.24"(0021)

At midnight obs, temp was 35.1°(VP2), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.44" and steady, humidity 75% with the dew point at 28°

Currently at 0202 EST, the temp is 33.3°(VP2), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.43" and steady, humidity 82% with a dew point of 28°.

Currently radar is showing an area of rain over coastal eastern NC and SE VA, along with snow shower activity around the upper peninsula of Michigan

Kevin the snowwalrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Thursday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Thursday, December 13, 2012

Thursday was seasonably cool and sunny, temps are dropping nicely tonight and falling through the 20s currently. Sunny to partly cloudy through Saturday with highs in the low 50s and lows in the upper 20s on Friday night. Saturday night should start clouding up and from Sunday through Tuesday night we should be cloudy with a 50 POP for rain through the period. Highs in the 40s and lows in the upper 30s. Cloudy on Wednesday, partly to mostly sunny on Thursday with highs in the mid 40s and lows in the lower 30s.

High temp 48.7°(1456)

Low temp 28.4°(0746)

Obs temp tonight 28.7°(VP2)

Peak Wind Gust 11 MPH from the E (1027)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 90% (0824) to a low of 41% (1415)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 30° to 24°.

Pressures ranged from 30.50"(1043) to 30.37"(2327)

At midnight obs, temp was 28.7°(VP2), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.38" and falling, humidity 85% with the dew point at 25°

Currently at 0232 EST, the temp is 27.1°(VP2), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.36" and falling, humidity 88% with a dew point of 24°.

Currently radar is clear throughout the Eastern US north of Florida.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Friday, December 14, 2012

Early Friday morning was the coldest morning we have had so far this month (24.6°) but the afternoon warmed into the 50s as predicted under sunny skies. Tonight is dropping down through the 30s once again, but won't be as cold as Friday morning was, bottoming out in the upper 20s by sunrise. Partly cloudy on Saturday with highs around 50, then clouding up Saturday night, with a 70 POP for showers on Sunday with highs in the lower 50s. A 60 POP for showers on Monday and Monday night with highs in the mid 50s, then a 30 POP for showers continuing on Tuesday with highs in the upper 40s. Finally clearing skies with highs in the 40s on Wednesday. A 30 POP for showers under partly cloudy skies and highs in the low 40s on Thursday. First long shot at the weekend is for a possibly significant cool down, coldest air of the season possibly. We will have to see how that develops.

Friday's precipitation: 0

High temp 53.3°(1501)

Low temp 24.6°(0718)

Obs temp tonight 32.4°(VP2)

Peak Wind Gust 6 MPH from the W (1015)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 94% (0912) to a low of 37% (1434)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 31° to 22°.

Pressures ranged from 30.38"(0000) to 30.24"(1658)

At midnight obs, temp was 32.4°(VP2), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.24" and steady, humidity 83% with the dew point at 28°

Currently at 0407 EST, the temp is 31.4°(VP2), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.27" and steady, humidity 87% with a dew point of 28°.

Currently radar is showing showers advancing east in areas of the Midwest - IL, MO, western KY and western TN mostly.

Kevin the snowywalrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Saturday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday, December 15, 2012

Saturday started out clear and chilly one more time, just a bit below freezing for a morning minimum temperature. Sun shone in the morning, but clouds were on the increase in the afternoon and evening, and a few sprinkles fell just prior to obs tonight. Milder this evening, staying in the 40s as the dew point climbed through the 20s and 30s and is now in the low 40s. Rain is just to our south, but moving east, so I don't think we will get rain here in my immediate area for the next few hours. Clouds should predominate the next few days, with highs in the 50s and lows in the 40s, with a 60 POP for rain Sunday through Monday during the day, then an 80 POP for rain on Monday night, then partially clearing out on Tuesday with highs in the 50s and sunny and continued mild with highs once again in the 50s on Wednesday. A 60 POP for rain and clouds should return on Thursday with highs in the 40s and lows in the 30s, then clearing out on Friday and Saturday and turning colder, highs in the low-mid 40s on Friday under sunny skies, then a high of around 40 on Saturday as it looks right now- perhaps a flurry flying around at the end of the week on occasion.

Saturday's precipitation: T

High temp 52.4°(1404)

Low temp 30.8°(0649)

Obs temp tonight 46.3°(VP2)

Peak Wind Gust 8 MPH from the E (1033)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 89% (0856) to a low of 47% (1417)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 38° to 27°.

Pressures ranged from 30.33"(1008) to 30.15"(2146)

At midnight obs, temp was 46.3°(VP2), Cloudy, Winds 2 MPH from the E, Pressure at 30.15" and steady, humidity 74% with the dew point at 38°

Currently at 0454 EST, the temp is 44.6°(VP2), Cloudy, Winds 1 MPH from the E, Pressure at 30.07" and falling, humidity 87% with a dew point of 41°.

Currently radar is showing large areas of rain, some moderate-heavy, in middle to southern VA moving E, also in area west of there out in southern WV, moving E. My area appears to be just north of the pattern for the time being. Lots more behind that, eventually we will get precipitation later on Sunday.

Kevin the snowywalrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Sunday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Sunday, December 16, 2012

Sunday was cloudy and mild, with not much range in temperatures, staying in the 40s all day. Not much precipitation either, as only light showers fell around 6 pm. Stable, moist air in place now, and a dense fog advisory is out for the area overnight into mid-morning as temps hold in the mid 40s. A 70 POP for showers, but I don't see a real lot of rain shower activity on radar for the overnight hours. Monday should see a bit of improvement at first, with fog lifting by late morning and the sky lightening a bit in the early afternoon with temps rising into the mid 50s but a 70 POP for showers in the mid-late afternoon and an 80 POP for showers Monday evening with lows in the 40s. Tuesday should be partly cloudy and Wednesday sunny with highs in the 50s both days. Thursday a 60 POP for showers with highs in the low 50s and lows in the 40s. Friday and Saturday should see sun return, with highs in the mid 40s and lows in the upper 20s.

Sunday's precipitation: 0.05" (LR) 0.03" (VP2) Max Rain Rate (MRR) 0.05" @1805

December total precipitation: 0.37"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 41.10"

High temp 49.3°(1319)

Low temp 44.5°(0507)

Obs temp tonight 46.5°(VP2)

Peak Wind Gust 11 MPH from the E (0158)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (2256) to a low of 74% (0000)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 46° to 38°.

Pressures ranged from 30.16"(0010) to 29.85"(2232)

At midnight obs, temp was 46.5°(VP2), Cloudy/light fog, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.89" and steady, humidity 96% with the dew point at 46°

Currently at 0245 EST, the temp is 47.0°(VP2), Cloudy/light fog, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.86" and falling, humidity 96% with a dew point of 46°.

Currently radar is showing some light showers in the region, scattered about but no really large areas of rain in the area.

Kevin the snowywalrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Monday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Monday, December 17, 2012

Monday was cloudy and mild, with fog, at times dense, during much of the day. Some light showers fell this evening. with not much range in temperatures, staying in the 40s all day. Not much precipitation either, as only light showers fell around 6 pm. Stable, moist air in place now, and a dense fog advisory is out for the area overnight till 6 AM. We should see showers on Tuesday (60 POP) with mild temps continuing, highs near 60. More rain showers Tuesday night, then clearing- Sunny and mild on Wednesday then clouding up on Thursday with a 50 POP for showers as a strong cold front advances through the area. Friday through Sunday should be out coldest (yet) conditions of the season, with highs in the low 40s and lows in the upper 20s. Can't rule out a possible snow flurry in the windy, blustery cold of Friday.

Monday's precipitation: 0.03" (LR and VP2)

December total precipitation: 0.40"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 41.13"

High temp 52.5°(2358)

Low temp 46.3°(0058)

Obs temp tonight 52.4°(VP2)

Peak Wind Gust 8 MPH from the E (1347)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 100% (1402) to a low of 96% (0000)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 52° to 45°.

Pressures ranged from 29.89"(0150) to 29.56"(2359)

At midnight obs, temp was 52.4°(VP2), Cloudy/fog/drizzle, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.56" and falling, humidity 98% with the dew point at 52°

Currently at 0219 EST, the temp is 51.9°(VP2), Cloudy, Winds 4 MPH from the WSW, Pressure at 29.55" and falling, humidity 98% with a dew point of 51°. (wind has picked up of late, and is blowing the fog out as of right now)

Currently radar is showing earlier rain showers moving NE out of our area and into NJ, NY and New England. Particularly heavy rain showers embedded in a general mass of showers in a good part of northern NJ.

Kevin the snowywalrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Tuesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Tuesday was cloudy and mild, with fog and a spot of light drizzle very early AM, but by mid-morning the fog and low clouds had lifted, and a sunny, mild afternoon was enjoyed by most. Tonight temps have dropped into the 30s, clear at times, clouds at times, some light shower activity to the west (WV) and north (PA), some is rain, some appears to be snow. A small chance for an overnight shower or flurry but should be partly cloudy. Wednesday should be sunny and mild, with high temps in the low 50s, our last "mild" day for quite a while. Thursday should be cloudy with an 80 POP for showers in the afternoon and evening as a strong cold front approaches from the W. Temps should remain in the 40s with lows in the 30s. Friday looks chilly and blustery, with high temps only in the low 40s under partly cloudy skies. An outside chance for a stray flurry of snow that manages to make it over the mountains to our N and W. Saturday looks to be sunny and cold, our coldest day of the season so far, with highs in the mid 30s and lows in the 20s. Sunday through Christmas day should be sunny to partly cloudy, with high temps in the upper 30s to low 40s and lows in the 20s. It doesn't look like much of a chance for a White Christmas this year, but at least it will be seasonably cold. .

Tuesday's precipitation: T

High temp 57.3°(1237)

Low temp 37.9°(2358)

Obs temp tonight 37.9°(VP2)

Peak Wind Gust 20 MPH from the NW (1352)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (0000) to a low of 53% (1328)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 52° to 31°.

Pressures ranged from 29.83"(2343) to 29.53"(0055)

At midnight obs, temp was 37.9°(VP2), PCloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.83" and steady, humidity 77% with the dew point at 31°

Currently at 0215 EST, the temp is 36.4°(VP2), PCloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.83" and steady, humidity 82% with a dew point of 31°.

Currently radar is showing scattered light rain and snow showers, most not reaching the ground, over parts of PA and WV to my west and north at this time.

Kevin the snowywalrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Wednesday morning.

Modified Gaithersburg Maryland Backyard weather station report for Wednesday, December 19, 2012

I had a frustrating day with my weather station. My station is partially down right now, with limited data (just pressure) available to me after about 6 PM this evening. Somehow the electric plug powering the station got unplugged some time early and battery back up ran low. My daughter tried to re-energize it around 6 PM but didn't power it down correctly, and my data feed was interrupted, and right now my display only shows current pressure, time/date, indoor temp, indoor humidity. I have most of the extremes recorded for the day, but current data is unavailable- I am displaying current weather data from my closest weatherbug station at Diamond Elementary School shown with an "E" besides the value.

Wednesday was partly cloudy and mild after a bit of a frosty morning. Tonight looks partly cloudy and mild, with temps in the upper 30s. Partly to mostly cloudy on Thursday with showers developing in the afternoon (60 POP) and a 90 POP for showers and a slight chance for thundershowers Thursday evening with lows in the 30s. Becoming windy and colder on Friday with a 30 POP for showers (snow flurries/squalls to the W and N) and highs in the low 40s. Partly to mostly sunny from Saturday through Tuesday, Christmas Day with highs in the low 40s and lows in the upper 20s.

Wednesday's precipitation: T

VP2/estimated data for Wednesday as follows:

High temp 51.4°(1202)

Low temp 32.0°(0555)

Obs temp tonight 41°E(weatherbug)

Peak Wind Gust 17 MPH from the NW (1225)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 93% (0825) to a low of 60% (1540)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 39° to 29°.

Pressures ranged from 30.20"(2325) to 29.82"(0057)

At midnight obs, temp was 41°E(weatherbug), PCloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.19" and steady, humidity 73%(E) with the dew point at 33°(E)

Currently at 0236 EST, the temp is 36.9°E(weatherbug), PCloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.21" and rising, humidity 84%(E) with a dew point of 33°(E).

Currently radar is showing snow over WI and northern Iowa, along with much of Maine, rain to the south in IL, MO, and parts of IN and MI at this time.

Modified/estimated report from my backyard and closeby weatherbug station from Gaithersburg Maryland for Thursday, December 20, 2012

I had another frustrating day with my weather station. My station is still partially down right now, with limited data (just pressure) available to me all day. With the great assistance of my friend Marty, we worked on trying to get the missing sensors back online earlier this evening to no avail. Tomorrow I will call Davis Tech Support and see if they can instruct me to get back online. Once again I am displaying current and daily weather data from my closest weatherbug station at Diamond Elementary School. Except for the rainfall total and pressure data, all other data for Thursday is shown with an "E" besides the value.

Thursday was cloudy and milder with late afternoon/evening rain from an advancing storm system in the Midwest and a strong cold front that will be blowing through here (literally) overnight and Friday. Rain will continue overnight, pressure continues to drop by the minute. Partly cloudy and windy on Friday and Saturday, with a 30 POP for showers tomorrow and a 20 POP for showers/flurries Friday night. High temps should only reach the low-mid 40s both days, and lows in the upper 20s to around 30. From Sunday through Tuesday, Christmas Day we should be sunny-partly cloudy with highs in the low 40s and lows in the 20s

Thursday's precipitation: 0.54" (LR)

December total precipitation: 0.94"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 41.67"

Estimated data for Thursday as follows:

High temp 46.9°E(2359)

Low temp 37°E(0600E)

Obs temp tonight 46.9°E(weatherbug)

Peak Wind Gust 26 MPH from the SSE E (sometime late this evening - from weatherbug station)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 100% (2100) to a low of 64% (1200) (estimated from weatherbug station data)

Dew point temperatures NA

Pressures ranged from 30.23"(0330) to 29.42"(2359)

At midnight obs, temp was 46.9°E(weatherbug), Cloudy/light rain, Winds SE at 14 MPH at weatherbug station, Pressure at 29.42" and falling, humidity 100% with the dew point at 46.9°(E)

Currently at 0222 EST, the temp is 49.4°E(weatherbug), Cloudy/Lt Rain, Winds 20 MPH from the SW, Pressure at 29.32" and rising, humidity 100%(weatherbug) with a dew point of 49°(E).

Currently radar is showing the rain shield extending just to my west, moving NNE parallel more or less with the cold front. So rain should only continue for a few more hours overnight.

Modified Gaithersburg Maryland report for Saturday, December 22, 2012

Well for Saturday I tried a few things with my VP2 but nothing worked. I moved the console outside to get it closer physically to the ISS, and started it up from scratch so to speak, but to no avail. Marty may come up on Sunday and install a new circuit board, which may be bad. Meanwhile, in consultation with several of my fellow county observer friends, I will mostly be using data "borrowed" from my wxunderground neighbor station "LONGHORN" for the time being. It does run pretty close on most variables I collect. I maintain precipitation and pressure readings from the limited VP2 output I have plus the rainfall from my Lake Region manually read (and dumped) rain gauge in my backyard. So except for rainfall and pressure data, all other data for the time being will be shown with an "E" besides the value.

Saturday was partly cloudy and colder, with slowly decreasing winds through the day. Upper 20s for lows overnight, then upper 40s and sunny on Sunday. Lows Sunday night into the 20s once again, then rain and/or sleet on Monday and Monday night with highs in the low 40s and lows in the 30s. Christmas Day Tuesday looks sunny with highs in the 40s. Rain/ sleet/ freezing rain possible Tuesday night into Wednesday and Wednesday night, with lows in the 30s and highs in the upper 40s. Clearing on Wednesday and Sunny on Thursday with highs in the mid 30s and lows in the 20s. A bit milder on Friday with a chance of rain or snow showers and a high in the upper 30s.

Friday's precipitation: 0.46" (LR)

Saturday's precipitation: 0

December total precipitation: 1.40"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 42.13"

Estimated data for Saturday as follows:

High temp 40.6°E(1350)

Low temp 30.1°E(2325)

Obs temp tonight 30.1°E

Peak Wind Gust 34 MPH from the W (1305 - :Longhorn station data)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 66%E (0000) to a low of 39%E(1350)

Dew point temperatures (22° E to 17° E)

Pressures ranged from 30.03"(1832) to 29.55"(0000)

At midnight obs, temp was 30.1°E, Clear, Winds S at 2 MPH at LONGHORN, Pressure at 30.03" and rising, humidity 61% with the dew point at 18°(E)

Currently at 0508 EST, the temp is 29.2°(QO HS weatherbug), Clear, Winds 3 MPH from the WNW, Pressure at 30.05" and steady, humidity 67% (weatherbug) with a dew point of 20° (weatherbug).

Currently radar is showing some snow showers in central NY state in the lake effect snow belt, and a few scattered snow showers over northern and central New England.

Kevin the Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Sunday morning.

Modified Gaithersburg Maryland backyard report for Sunday, December 23, 2012

Well for Sunday my friend Rick H came over and helped me restore my Radio Shack basic digital thermometer that I will use for daily high and low temp readings as of Monday. Otherwise nothing new on the VP2 front. Marty couldn't make it over with a new circuit board, I will probably wait till Wednesday when Davis Tech support opens up again to actively work on trying to get the VP2 back in fully functional mode. Meanwhile, I will continue to mostly be using data "borrowed" from my wxunderground neighbor (about 1 mile away) station "LONGHORN". It does run pretty close on most variables I collect. I maintain precipitation and pressure readings from the limited VP2 output I have plus the rainfall from my Lake Region manually read (and dumped) rain gauge in my backyard. So except for rainfall and pressure data and the temp data from the Radio Shack Thermometer starting tomorrow, all other data for the time being will be shown with an "E" besides the value.

Sunday was partly cloudy and cold in the early morning, temps dropping down into the mid 20s, helped by the wind dying down overnight. Temps moderated in the afternoon, with high temps in the mid 40s under the partly cloudy skies. Tonight clouds should be slowly thickening, from a disturbance moving in on Monday that will give us a mix of light rain and sleet, with little ice accumulation expected. High temps on Monday will probably be in the upper 30s to low 40s. Christmas Eve should start to clear out with temps around 30 overnight. Christmas Day should be sunny for most of the day, with highs in the low 40s. Christmas Night should cloud over once again, with another system moving in, and more mixed precipitation falling late Christmas night into Wednesday. Temps the rest of the week should mostly be in the mid-upper 30s, lows in the upper 20s to low 30s. More unsettled weather expected during the latter part of the week, particularly around Friday. No warmup to speak of for the foreseeable future, but no real significant cold waves either- just seasonably cold with lots of storms blowing through with moderate mixed precipitation possibilities.

Sunday's precipitation: 0

December total precipitation: 1.40"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 42.13"

Estimated data for Sunday as follows:

High temp 47.1°E(1425)

Low temp 25.0°E(0735)

Obs temp tonight 29.5°(RS)

Peak Wind Gust 11 MPH from the SE (1255 - :Longhorn station data)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 72% (0735) to a low of 27%(1410)

Dew point temperatures (22° to 14°)

Pressures ranged from 30.06"(0735) to 29.90"(1435)

At midnight obs, temp was 29.5°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.99" and rising, humidity 69% with dew point at 21°

Currently at 0316 EST, the temp is 28.4°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 4 MPH from the N, Pressure at 30.01" and steady, humidity 79%(weatherbug) with a dew point of 24°(weatherbug).

Currently radar is showing showers well to my SE in TN and KY, heading this way slowly through VA.

Kevin the Snowywalrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Monday morning.

Modified Gaithersburg Maryland backyard weather report for Christmas Eve, Monday, December 24, 2012

Monday was nothing new on the instrument front, other than I was able to start using my Radio Shack thermometer for my maximum and minimum temperature readings. Meanwhile, I continue to mostly be using data "borrowed" from my wxunderground neighbor (about 1 mile away) station "LONGHORN" (earlier on Monday I got positive feedback from the observer for "plugging" his station <g>). It does run pretty close on most variables I collect. I maintain precipitation and pressure readings from the limited VP2 output I have plus the rainfall from my Lake Region manually read (and dumped) rain gauge in my backyard. So except for rainfall and pressure data and the temp data from the Radio Shack Thermometer, all other data for the time being will be either shown with an "E" besides the value or assumed to be originating from the LONGHORN station or in some cases the Quince Orchard HS weatherbug station.

Monday started out dry and cold, with early morning mins in the mid 20s, but with clouds increasing rapidly and S winds picking up around noon bringing in the moisture from the S/SW. Snow started to fall around 1 PM when the max temp for the day was occurring (38.8°). Snow kept up through the early evening hours, varying in intensity and also dropping the temps down to about 34° by the time the snow ended around 1900. Clouds kept in, and temps have held since at 34°. Fog has developed, and with the above freezing temps and close to 100 % humidity, the snow that fell melted down to just a Trace of snow on the ground at midnight and currently. Dense fog advisory overnight with temps holding just above freezing. Christmas Day should be partly cloudy after the fog burns off with high temps in the low 40s. An unsettled pattern the rest of the week, with a storm on Wednesday that will give us a mixture of snow, sleet and rain with highs in the upper 30s and lows in the low-mid 30s that will continued into the first part of Thursday (50 POP) and highs around 40. Friday should be sunny with highs in the low 40s, then another storm over the weekend with more mixed precipitation probable. No warmup to speak of for the foreseeable future, but no real significant cold waves either- just seasonably cold with lots of storms blowing through with moderate mixed precipitation possibilities.

Monday's precipitation: 0.32" (LR)

Monday's snowfall: 1.4"

Snow on ground at obs: T

Seasonal snow/sleet: 1.4"

December total precipitation: 1.72"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 42.45"

Estimated data for Monday as follows:

High temp 38.8°RS(1425 E from Longhorn timing)

Low temp 26.4°RS(0735 E from Longhorn timing)

Obs temp tonight 34.5°(RS)

Peak Wind Gust 10 MPH from the SE (1255 - :Longhorn station data)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 95% E (2015) to a low of 59% E (1220)

Dew point temperatures (32° to 21°)

Pressures ranged from 30.06"(0735) to 29.90"(1435)

At midnight obs, temp was 34.5°(RS), Cloudy/Fog, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.91" and rising, humidity 95% with the dew point at 33°

Currently at 0331 EST, the temp is 34.0°(RS), Cloudy/Fog, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.97" and rising, humidity 100%(weatherbug) with a dew point of 34°.

Currently radar is showing snow we had Mon aft has moved off to the NE up to parts of New England and a good portion of New York State, slowly heading further NE and away from the area.

Kevin the snowywalrus (finally!) of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Christmas Tuesday morning.

Modified Gaithersburg Maryland backyard weather report for Christmas Day, Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas Tuesday was nothing new on the instrument front. I continue to mostly be using data "borrowed" from my wxunderground neighbor (about 1 mile away) station "LONGHORN". I maintain precipitation and pressure readings from the limited VP2 output I have plus the rainfall from my Lake Region manually read (and dumped) rain gauge in my backyard. So except for rainfall and pressure data and the temp data from the Radio Shack Thermometer, all other data for the time being will be either shown with an "E" besides the value or assumed to be originating from the LONGHORN station or in some cases the Quince Orchard HS weatherbug station.

Christmas Tuesday started out cloudy and foggy,at times quite dense, till the sun burned it off soon after sunrise (before I got up). Sunny and a bit milder Christmas day. Monday's snow all melted off by the late afternoon. Clouds have increased once again Tuesday evening, in advance of the next storm system coming up from our SW. The precipitation shield has advanced into central Virginia, and should be here by sunrise or slightly later. We should see a period of sleet and snow in the morning hours, changing over to rain in the PM as temps rise through the 30s into the 40s (100 POP). Rain should continue well into Wednesday evening, ending sometime early Thursday. Sun should return during the day on Thursday, with high temps in the low 40s, lows in the 30s. Sunny once again on Friday with similar temps. Then over the weekend we should have another bout of mixed precipitation with highs and lows in the 30s. No warmup to speak of for the foreseeable future, but no real significant cold waves either - just seasonably cold with lots of storms blowing through with moderate mixed precipitation possibilities.

Tuesday's precipitation: 0

Monday's snowfall: 1.4"

Snow on ground at obs: 0

Seasonal snow/sleet: 1.4"

December total precipitation: 1.72"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 42.45"

Estimated data for Tuesday as follows:

High temp 47.7°RS(1350 E from Longhorn timing)

Low temp 33.1°RS(0740 E from Longhorn timing)

Obs temp tonight 37.4°(RS)

Peak Wind Gust 11 MPH from the WNW (1250 - :Longhorn station data)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% E (0315) to a low of 53% E (1335)

Dew point temperatures (40° to 30°)

Pressures ranged from 30.26"(2351) to 29.91"(0001)

At midnight obs, temp was 37.4°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 4 MPH from the NNE, Pressure at 30.25" and falling, humidity 78% with the dew point at 30°

Currently at 0317 EST, the temp is 34.7°(RS), Cloudy, Winds NE @ 5, Pressure at 30.23" and falling, humidity 79%(weatherbug) with a dew point of 26°.

Currently radar is showing mixed precipitation in central VA, moving NE towards my area. More rain towards the coast, more snow inland in the mtn areas of western VA into WV.

Kevin the snowywalrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Wednesday morning. Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!

Modified Gaithersburg Maryland backyard weather report for Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Wednesday was supposed to be back to work day, but a winter storm kept me home for the day- very icy and slippery in the morning, and stayed that way into the early afternoon. I called Davis Tech Support and now the battleplan is set- when I get the chance, I will be packing up my VP2 weather transmitter and sending it back to Davis for replacement. Cost (including shipping) $72. Online Davis Tech support video shows how to remove the transmitter from the station and how to put it back. Meanwhile, I continue to mostly be using data "borrowed" from my wxunderground neighbor (about 1 mile away) station "LONGHORN". I maintain precipitation and pressure readings from the limited VP2 output I have plus the rainfall from my Lake Region manually read (and dumped) rain gauge in my backyard. So except for rainfall/snowfall and pressure data and the temp data from the Radio Shack Thermometer, all other data for the time being will be either shown with an "E" besides the value or assumed to be originating from the LONGHORN station or in some cases the Quince Orchard HS weatherbug station.

Wednesday was cloudy with snow, sleet, freezing rain at various times during most of the morning, changing over to rain in the early afternoon as temps marched upwards through the 30s. Heaviest precip and strongest winds occurred later in the afternoon into the evening hours in the milder (upper 30s) air. Temps have slowly started to drop off as the precip has mainly cut down to a drizzle. Perhaps a bit of snow possibly overnight as the wrap around moisture brings in colder, but drier air so the snow will be light and intermittent, more showery if it does fall. Clearing out on Thursday and windy (a wind advisory has been posted for our area). Earlier a flood warning was posted for Seneca Creek, which is the closest reported waterway to my location over the weather wires. Flood stage in the creek was supposed to be reached at 0100 EST (about 1 1/2 hours ago) but I have not heard anything further on that. I am within a mile, but I have a small ridge between me and the creek that keep flood waters away from my immediate location. Sunny and seasonable temps should take over by Thursday afternoon and Friday, with highs in the upper 30s to low 40s and lows in the upper 20s to lower 30s. The weekend appears to be unsettled, as a storm gets its act together and may give us another batch of winter weather, hopefully with more of a snow angle as our major storm weather out of it.

Wednesday's precipitation: 1.68" (LR)

(New daily record for the date - old record 0.70" set back in 2009)

Wednesday's snowfall: 1.6"

Snow on ground at obs: T

December total snowfall:3.0"

Seasonal snow/sleet: 3.0"

December total precipitation: 3.40"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 44.13"

Estimated data for Wednesday as follows:

High temp 39.4°RS(1825 E from Longhorn timing)

Low temp 32.2°RS(0800 E from Longhorn timing)

Obs temp tonight 36.7°(RS)

Peak Wind Gust 17 MPH from the NE (1610 - :Longhorn station data)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 95% E (1935) to a low of 69% E (0115)

Dew point temperatures (37° to 24°)

Pressures ranged from 30.26"(0056) to 29.42"(2158)

At midnight obs, temp was 36.7°(RS), Cloudy/Drizzle, Winds 7 MPH from the WNW, Pressure at 29.43" and steady, humidity 95% with the dew point at 36°

Currently at 0302 EST, the temp is 36.1°(RS), Cloudy, Winds NW @ 10, Pressure at 29.48" and rising, humidity 100%(weatherbug) with a dew point of 36°.

Currently radar is showing precipitation in NE MD and points north and east, moving away from the area, heading NE towards New England.

Kevin the snowywalrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Thursday morning.

Modified Gaithersburg Maryland Backyard weather report for Thursday, December 27, 2012

Thursday was supposed to be back to work day once again, but early morning iciness and a few developments kept me at home one more day. Also just couldn't get good sleep till of course, it was time to get up. My friend Marty let me know about a place down in Florida where I could get a Davis Weather Transmitter that I had planned to get from Davis a lot quicker at a reasonable price. So I did that online, and I might get the transmitter board as early as Saturday. If I wait for Davis, even if I started the process on Thursday, it would have taken 2-3 weeks before I would get my new transmitter back. And "new" is a relative term, from both sources, it would have been a refurbished unit, not really a new one. But they are warrantied for a good period of time and much cheaper than buying a brand new unit. Meanwhile, I continue to mostly be using data "borrowed" from my wxunderground neighbor (about 1 mile away) station "LONGHORN". I maintain precipitation readings through my lake region gauge manual readings and pressure readings from my VP2 interior display output. Snowfall readings come from a combination of melting down the Lake Region rain gauge catch, a well placed ruler into the ground to determine new snowfall amounts and snow on ground at obs. So except for rainfall/snowfall and pressure data and the temp data from the Radio Shack Thermometer, all other data for the time being will be either shown with an "E" besides the value or assumed to be originating from the LONGHORN station or in some cases the Quince Orchard HS weatherbug station.

Thursday was cloudy, chilly with some very early AM drizzle. Before sunrise, the cloud cover started to lift slowly, the drizzle ended, and gradually by midday the skies started to clear and temps rose through the 30s into the low 40s by early afternoon. All remnants of naturally occuring ice and snow melted off before sunset. Pavements are now dry out there currently so no travel problems are anticipated on Friday morning. One more sunny day with high temps in the low to mid 40s on Friday. Clouds will increase Friday night and on Saturday our next storm should move in. Snow looks to be falling lightly during the day on Saturday with highs in the mid-upper 30s and lows in the upper 20s to low 30s. Various discussions on how much snow we will be getting, right now it looks like 1-3 inches with 4-5 inches possible. Stay tuned for tomorrow night's update for more final amount predictions. Clearing out on Sunday with highs in the upper 30s, skies should be sunny to partly cloudy through New Years Day with highs in the upper 30s and lows in the upper 20s.

Thursday's precipitation: T

Thursday's snowfall: 0

December total precipitation: 3.40"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 44.13"

Estimated data for Thursday as follows:

High temp 40.8°RS(1230 E from Longhorn timing)

Low temp 35.6°RS(0355 E from Longhorn timing)

Obs temp tonight 36.9°(RS)

Peak Wind Gust 24 MPH from the W (1055 - :Longhorn station data)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 95% E (0000) to a low of 53% E (1235)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 33° to 22°

Pressures ranged from 30.02"(2320) to 29.43"(0027)

At midnight obs, temp was 36.9°(RS), Clear, Winds 6 MPH from the NW, Pressure at 30.01" and rising, humidity 63% with the dew point at 24°

Currently at 0208 EST, the temp is 36.1°(RS), Clear, Winds NW @ 7, Pressure at 30.02" and rising, humidity 76%(weatherbug) with a dew point of 27°.

Currently radar is showing snow over much of ME and also in scattered areas to our west in parts of WI, IL ,and Iowa.

Kevin the snowywalrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Friday morning.

Modified Gaithersburg Maryland Backyard weather report for Friday, December 28, 2012

Friday was back to work day as roads and sidewalks were dry, and I had to get stuff done at the office. My friend Jeff S suggested that I don't have to use an E with my data I am reporting daily and recording for posterity based on the data "borrowed" from my wxunderground neighbor (about 1 mile away) station "LONGHORN". I maintain precipitation readings through my lake region gauge manual readings and pressure readings from my VP2 interior display output. Snowfall readings come from a combination of melting down the Lake Region rain gauge catch, a well placed ruler into the ground to determine new snowfall amounts and snow on ground at obs. So except for rainfall/snowfall and pressure data and the temp data from the Radio Shack Thermometer, all other data for the time being will be coming from the LONGHORN station or in some cases the Quince Orchard HS weatherbug station.

Friday was sunny with increasing high clouds during the day evolving into a cloud overcast by evening as our next storm draws nearer. Radar is showing snow overhead but so far has not reached the ground, but that could occur anytime overnight (50 POP). We are in a winter weather advisory, with a few inches of snow expected (1-2"). My snowboard is out, and I am ready as I can be. Temperatures overnight have been slowly climbing into the mid 30s, but once the precipitation fills the atmospheric column and the snow reaches the ground, I expect the temps to drop into the low 30s. Saturday should be cloudy with snow (100 POP), possibly mixing with rain in the afternoon, with high temps in the mid 30s. Sunday should see a return of the sun, at least partially, with highs in the upper 30s. Clouds to return sometime Monday, highs in the upper 30s, lows on New Years Eve around 30. On New Years Day there is a 40 POP for snow showers with highs in the upper 30s to low 40s. Appears to be a cloudy but basically dry rest of the new year week, with highs in the upper 30s to low 40s and lows in the upper 20s to lower 30s.

Friday's precipitation: 0

Friday's snowfall: 0

Correction to Thursday's precipitation: 0.02"(early morning drizzle/light rain)

December total precipitation: 3.42"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 44.15"

Data for Friday as follows:

High temp 41.5° RS (1440 from Longhorn timing)

Low temp 32.7° RS (2110 from Longhorn timing)

Obs temp tonight 34.5°(RS)

Peak Wind Gust 15 MPH from the NW (0002 - :Longhorn station data)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 77% (2055) to a low of 52% (1440)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 26° to 22°

Pressures ranged from 30.16"(1021) to 30.01"(0000)

At midnight obs, temp was 34.5° (RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.05" and falling, humidity 71% with dew pt at 25°

Currently at 0433 EST, the temp is 36.0°(RS), Cloudy, Winds E @ 4, Pressure at 29.92" and falling, humidity 87%(weatherbug) with a dew point of 30°.

Currently radar is showing snow overhead and all through areas to my west and north through sections of western MD, VA, WV, and PA at this time. Rain is falling to my south and E over more coastal sections of VA and MD.

Kevin the snowywalrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Saturday morning.

Archived