• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
What's the Weather Where You are?

terpguy

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Tuesday warmed up a bit, into the low 60s after an early morning in the mid 40s. We had clouds all morning into the early/mid afternoon so a late afternoon sun rally that warmed us up. Tonight should be clear with lows in the low 40s. Sunny to partly cloudy on Wednesday, with high temps warming into the low to mid 70s and a 20 POP for showers in the afternoon. Cloudy in the low-mid 40s on Wed night, with a 50 POP for showers and possibly a stray thundershower. Sunny to partly cloudy skies should dominate with no rain from Thursday through the weekend, with high temps progressing through the 60s and low temperatures progressing likewise through the 40s during that period of time.

Tuesday's precipitation: 0  
April precipitation: 2.25"
Seasonal snow/sleet: 15.3"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 12.20"

Other data for Tuesday is as follows: 

High temp  61.9° VP2 (1745)(64.4° RS)
Low temp  44.6° VP2 (0201)(45.3° RS) 
Obs temp  47.1° VP2 47.5°RS    
Peak wind gust 9 N (0707) 
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 84% (2354) to a low of 52% (1812)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 46° to 35°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.43"(0006) to 30.13"(2355)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 47.1°(VP2)/47.5°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.13" and falling, humidity 84%, dew pt of 43°.

Currently at 0213 EDT I have a temp of 44.3°(VP2)/44.8°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.12" and falling, humidity 89%, dew pt of 41°.

Radar is showing a small area of precipitation spinning in the Gulf of Maine off the coast of ME and MA, along with showers in parts of SE WI, IL, IN, MI and OH at this time.

Kevin the snowless Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Wednesday morning.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
     Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Wednesday warmed up quite a bit ahead of an approaching cold front, into the upper 70s after an early morning once again in the mid 40s. Sun most of the day, clouds increased towards nighttime as the front drew near. Showers and isolated storms were expected and were on radar in the usual SW/NE line. However, most of the energy went into PA from what I saw on radar, and I just had some dark clouds as night approached. Dew points rose into the upper 50s but the front has passed through now and temps and dew points have now dropped into the low 50s/upper 30s with increasing winds the past few hours. We should drop into the 40s by sunrise. Over the next few days through the weekend, sunny to partly cloudy skies should predominate, no rain, with high temps in the 60s and lows mostly in the 40s.

Wednesday's precipitation: 0  

Other data for Wednesday is as follows: 

High temp  77.5° VP2 (1618)(78.8° RS)
Low temp  43.0° VP2 (0352)(43.3° RS) 
Obs temp  60.7° VP2 61.5°RS    
Peak wind gust 13 SW (1821) 
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 94% (0544) to a low of 44% (1717)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 59° to 41°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.13"(0023) to 29.79"(1844)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 60.7°(VP2)/61.5°(RS), Cldy, Winds 11 NNE, Pressure at 30.00" and rising, humidity 67%, dew pt of 50°.

Currently at 0242 EDT I have a temp of 50.3°(VP2)/51.1°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 5 SW, Pressure at 30.10" and rising, humidity 58%, dew pt of 36°.

Radar is showing a small line of possible light showers running SW/NE through the metro area right now- nothing measurable fell here however.

Kevin the snowless Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Thursday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Friday, April 26, 2013

Sorry for no report on Thursday - VP2 problems- discussed below plus shortage of time and total exhaustion.

Friday remained seasonably cool and sunny with lighter winds. Temps have dropped off nicely through the 50s and well into the 40s Friday night through calm, clear and dry skies. By sunrise we should be around 40. Saturday should be sunny with highs around 70. Not quite as cool on Saturday night with lows in the mid-upper 40s with a bit of cloudiness coming in late. Sunday should be cloudy with highs in the upper 60s. Rain should be developing on Sunday night (70 POP) that should continue through Monday night, highs in the 60s, lows in the upper 40s. A 30-40 POP for continued showers through Wednesday as our LOW pressure system stalls out a bit over the general area.  Seasonable temps in the 60s and 40s continuing, with some sun at times.  My VP2 display continues its problems of not displaying data at all, the screen is still energized/lit up but there continues to have no data showing at all. Fortunately my computer data log is still showing full data and is getting to Wx underground through the internet.  But I can't see my current conditions at a glance, and have to go into my data logger to see. Minor inconvenience; I probably am going to have to get a new VP2 display. But at least I still have data!

Friday's precipitation: 0  

Other data for Friday is as follows: 
                                                                                                                                                                                    High temp  64.9° VP2 (1740)(66.6° RS)
Low temp  40.6° VP2 (0510)(40.8° RS) 
Obs temp  47.7° VP2 47.9°RS    
Peak wind gust 10 NNW (0935) 
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 86% (0450) to a low of 30% (1840)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 39° to 31°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.47"(1035) to 30.31"(0135)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 47.7°(VP2)/47.9°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.41" and steady, humidity 68%, dew pt of 38°.

Currently at 0405 EDT I have a temp of 42.6°(VP2)/42.4°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.30" and steady, humidity 81%, dew pt of 37°.

Radar is showing throughout a good part of TN and surrounding states, particularly GA and AL, and southern KY and IL.

Kevin the snowless Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Saturday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday, April 27, 2013

Saturday remained sunny and warmed up a bit into the low 70s with light winds. Tonight temps have dropped back down through the 60s and 50s into the upper 40s but by sunrise we probably will be down around 45. Sunny early on Sunday, highs in the upper 60s but clouds will be on the increase in the afternoon and by sometime late evening rain should be developing, and continuing through Monday night (70 POP) with highs in the 60s on Monday and lows in the 50s. A 40 POP for continued showers on Tuesday then mostly cloudy skies continuing the rest of the week, with highs staying mostly in the 60s and lows in the 40s to around 50. There is a 30 POP for showers on Thursday, otherwise we should remain dry. Some sun might be experienced at times. But a general cooler than normal pattern as we enter the month of May should persist. My VP2 display continues its problems of not displaying data at all, the screen is still energized/lit up but there continues to have no data showing at all. Fortunately my computer data log is still showing full data and is getting to Wx underground through the internet.  But I can't see my current conditions at a glance, and have to go into my data logger to see current conditions along with viewing my Radio Shack backup thermometer for current outdoor and indoor temperatures. A minor inconvenience really but I probably am going to have to get a new VP2 display. But at least I still have data!

Saturday's precipitation: 0  

Other data for Saturday is as follows: 

High temp  71.3° VP2 (1615)(72.5° RS)
Low temp  40.4° VP2 (0630)(40.5° RS) 
Obs temp  54.8° VP2 55.4°RS    
Peak wind gust 8 E (0940) 
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 87% (0705) to a low of 32% (1620)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 44° to 36°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.43"(0830) to 30.29"(1855)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 54.8°(VP2)/55.4°(RS), Clear, Winds 1 E, Pressure at 30.29" and falling, humidity 60%, dew pt of 41°.

Currently at 0410 EDT I have a temp of 47.8°(VP2)/47.8°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.27" and falling, humidity 81%, dew pt of 42°.

Radar has moved east and north only a little since last night, mostly centered in Kentucky right now, with some rain just entering SW WV and SW VA at this time, and other bordering states to KY.  That rain will move into our area late Sunday and extend through Monday. 

Kevin the snowless Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Sunday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Sunday, April 28, 2013

Sunday became cloudy a bit earlier than expected, and light rain came in a bit earlier also, in the mid afternoon. It was quite light, and didn't persist into the evening and dew pts dropped for a while as drier air entrained briefly.  Clouds have persisted, and should do so through all of Monday into Tuesday, with temps maxing out around 60 and a 100 POP for rain on Monday morning and showers to continue the rest of the day into the evening (50 POP).  A 40 POP for continued showers on Tuesday, with highs in the 60s, then a 30 POP for showers continuing (scattered and light) Tuesday night into Wednesday.  Thursday through Sunday looks mostly sunny and dry, with highs somewhere in the 60s and lows in the 40s to around 50. My VP2 display continues its problems of not displaying data at all, the screen is still energized/lit up but there continues to have no data showing at all. Fortunately my computer data log is still showing full data and is getting to Wx underground through the internet.  But I can't see my current conditions at a glance, and have to go into my data logger to see current conditions along with viewing my Radio Shack backup thermometer for current outdoor and indoor temperatures. A minor inconvenience really but I probably am going to have to get a new VP2 display. But at least I still have data!

On Sunday I staffed a table with the DC chapter of the AMS at the local Rockville Science Day at Montgomery College in Rockville. We had lots of interested students of science thirsting for more knowledge about anything science, with many of the science disciplines represented. We had a Van de Graaf Generator on display there to help students and adults understand more about static electricity - lightning out in nature. We also had a 4 inch rain gauge (like the one I have been using for the past 35 years) an anemometer, an IR gauge that measures temps of remote objects that you point it to, and a weather balloon/radionsonde that is so critical to upper air data that meteorologists use to forecast by. It was quite an enjoyable experience!

Sunday's precipitation: 0.02" (LR) 0.02" (VP2)  
April precipitation: 2.27"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 12.22"

Other data for Sunday is as follows: 

High temp  65.6° VP2 (1335)(66.4° RS)
Low temp  44.3° VP2 (0645)(44.6° RS) 
Obs temp  56.8° VP2 57.4°RS    
Peak wind gust 11 E (1130) 
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 90% (0720) to a low of 38% (1240)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 52° to 39°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.30"(0025) to 30.14"(1940)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 56.8°(VP2)/57.4°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 7 ESE, Pressure at 30.16" and falling, humidity 68%, dew pt of 46°.

Currently at 0220 EDT I have a temp of 54.6°(VP2)/54.5°(RS), Cloudy with light rain, Winds 2E, Pressure at 30.14" and falling, humidity 84%,dew pt of 50°. So far 0.02" of rain has fallen since midnight through 0220.

Radar is showing rain in the region, light and scattered, but mostly concentrated to my east and south, moving generally NE.

Kevin the snowless Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Monday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Monday, April 29, 2013

Monday was damp and cool with occasional light rain and drizzle most of the day, with some fog at times. Temps stayed in the 50s all day. Tonight drizzle is falling with temps holding in the 50s. Tuesday should see spotty drizzle in the morning with a 50 POP for showers in the afternoon and evening. Highs in the low 60s, low Tuesday night around 50. Still mostly cloudy with temps in the mid 60s on Wednesday, with a 40 POP for showers. Thursday through Sunday should see mostly sunny skies with temps in the mid-upper 60s and lows in the 40s as we head into May on a somewhat cool note. My VP2 display continues its problems of not displaying data at all, the screen is still energized/lit up but there continues to have no data showing at all. Fortunately my computer data log is still showing full data and is getting to Wx underground through the internet.  But I can't see my current conditions at a glance, and have to go into my data logger to see current conditions along with viewing my Radio Shack backup thermometer for current outdoor and indoor temperatures. A minor inconvenience really but I probably am going to have to get a new VP2 display. But at least I still have data! Contacted Davis today, they suggested a power down then up and if that doesn't work, buy a new console display. I am afraid that if I power down I will lose my datalogger and internet connection. So I have serious reservations, and will at least wait till I May starts before I do anything bold.

Monday's precipitation: 0.17" (LR) 0.10" (VP2)  
April precipitation: 2.44"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 12.39"

Other data for Monday is as follows: 

High temp  59.6° VP2 (1455)(60.4° RS)
Low temp  53.0° VP2 (0300)(53.4° RS) 
Obs temp  54.8° VP2 55.9°RS    
Peak wind gust 12 E (2025) 
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (1310) to a low of 67% (0010)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 58° to 46°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.17"(0035) to 30.06"(1635)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 54.8°(VP2)/55.9°(RS), Cloudy/drizzle, Winds 5 ENE, Pressure at 30.11" and steady, humidity 94%, dew pt of 53°.

Currently at 0235 EDT I have a temp of 54.7°(VP2)/55.8°(RS), Cloudy/drizzle, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.11" and falling, humidity 95%, dew pt of 53°.

Radar is showing predictably scattered, very light returns in the region, typical for spotty drizzle.

Kevin the snowless Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Tuesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Tuesday was damp and cool with occasional light rain and drizzle once again, mostly in the morning, but the sky started to lighten up in the mid-late afternoon and tonight the sky is mostly clear with a few scattered clouds. A fine stretch of weather looks to be headed our way to start off the month of May  - sunny and seasonable, with high temps around 70 and lows in the 40s from Thursday through the weekend.  I was off work on Tuesday and finally could get a hold of Davis tech support over the phone, and he walked me through the power down/power up procedure with my VP2 and it worked! My VP2 display once again shows me a full screen of data. Because of the powering off and on procedure, I lost memory in the display, so I still had to use my data logger for my extremes of the day. Tomorrow I should have total functionality back thank goodness. I have all my April data stored away and in my journal, so I am happy about that.

Tuesday's precipitation: 0.06" (LR) 0.03" (VP2)  
April precipitation: 2.50"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 12.45"

High temp  60.8° VP2 (1615)(62.2° RS)
Low temp   54.4° VP2 (0300)(55.9° RS) 
Obs temp   54.4° VP2 55.9°RS    
Peak wind gust 14.4ENE (1305) 
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0605) to a low of 83% (1615)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 56° to 51°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.30"(2355) to 30.10"(0255)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 54.4°(VP2)/55.9°(RS), PCloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.30" and rising, humidity 88%, dew pt of 51°.

Currently at 0237 EDT I have a temp of 51.4°(VP2)/53.1°(RS), Clear/scat clouds, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.31" and steady, humidity 90%, dew pt of 49°.

Radar is a small line of showers cutting through northern WI and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, line is oriented NE/SW, heading SE.

Kevin the snowless Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Wednesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 Backyard weather station report for Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Wednesday was a bright, sunny start to May with the promise of several more similar days through the weekend with highs in the upper 60s/lower 70s and lows in the 40s. Right now, it looks like a 30 POP for showers on Monday and Tuesday of next week, but that is a long way away yet and things could change. As expected, all functionality has returned to my VP2 unit.Thanks to all for your support through this somewhat trying period. April stats have not really been started yet,but stay tuned through the weekend for bits and pieces as I reconstruct and compile all the highlights for the month.

Wednesday's precipitation: 0
May precipitation: 0.00"   
April precipitation: 2.50"

High temp  70.2° VP2 (1610)(72.7° RS)
Low temp  45.5° VP2 (0644)(47.1° RS) 
Obs temp  54.0° VP2 55.6°RS    
Peak wind gust 15 NE (1210) 
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 92% (0101) to a low of 28% (1325)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 51° to 32°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.43"(2352) to 30.30"(0000)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 54.0°(VP2)/55.6°(RS), Clear, Winds 5 E, Pressure at 30.43" and rising, humidity 73%, dew pt of 46°.

Currently at 0215 EDT I have a temp of 49.1°(VP2)/50.2°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.42" and steady, humidity 84%, dew pt of 45°.

Radar is showing mixed precipitation in northern MN, NW WI, and western sections of the UP of Michigan at this time.  Everywhere else is clear on the East Coast north of Florida that I can see.

Kevin the snowless Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Thursday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Thursday, May 2, 2013

Thursday was a bit cooler than Wednesday, with more clouds, but still partly sunny, with highs just under 70.  Tonight it is clear with temps heading down through the 40s, I suspect a low of about 45 by sunrise. Sunny to partly cloudy skies should be the case for our weather from Friday through the weekend. Next week looks to start wet, with a 50 POP for showers through Wednesday, and seasonable high temps in the 65-70 range.Our excitement for the late afternoon was a water main break right outside our house, with parking disrupted a bit for a time and a loss of water throughout the house. They were working loudly outside our house from about 4 pm to about 9 pm (under the lights) but they finished up the job, the water is back on, and the parking has been restored to normal.

Thursday's precipitation: 0

Other data for Thursday is as follows: 

High temp  69.3° VP2 (1607)(71.6° RS)
Low temp  42.4° VP2 (0626)(43.3° RS) 
Obs temp  51.1° VP2 (52.2°RS)    
Peak wind gust 12 N (1258) 
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 95% (0746) to a low of 42% (1525)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 50° to 40°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.46"(0950) to 30.33"(2300)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 51.1°(VP2)/52.2°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.33" and steady, humidity 84%, dew pt of 46°.

Currently at 0201 EDT I have a temp of 47.9°(VP2)/48.7°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.32" and steady, humidity 89%, dew pt of 45°.

Radar is showing a large plume of moisture in the Midwest (WI on down through IL and MO) which appears to be headed north and not east towards my area. In the northern end of this mass it appears that mixed precipitation is occurring in some selected colder locations.

Kevin the snowless Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Friday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Friday, May 3, 2013

Friday was a tad bit cooler than Thursday on the max temp side of things, with still some clouds around, but still partly sunny, with highs just under 70.  Tonight it is cloudy with temps slowly heading down through the upper 40s, I once again suspect a low of about 45 by sunrise. Clouds Saturday morning should give way to sunny to partly cloudy skies in the afternoon with highs in the mid 60s. Clear Saturday night with lows in the 40s, then Sunny on Sunday with highs in the mid 60s. Clouds should predominate the area most of the coming week, with increasing chances for showers, headed to a 70 POP for showers on Tuesday. Temps should be in the 60s by day and 50s by night with all the clouds, warming into the upper 70s by the end of the week with decreasing chances of showers and increasing sun by Thursday that should warm us up some.

High temp  68.1° VP2 (1601)(69.6° RS)
Low temp  44.4° VP2 (0533)(45.3° RS) 
Obs temp  49.6° VP2 (49.8°RS)    
Peak wind gust 14 E (1017) 
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 95% (0731) to a low of 44% (1450)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 48° to 42°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.40"(1017) to 30.31"(1638)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 49.6°(VP2)/49.8°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.35" and steady, humidity 76%, dew pt of 42°.

Currently at 0522 EDT I have a temp of 48.3°(VP2)/48.9°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.30" and falling, humidity 85%, dew pt of 44°.

Radar is rain showers through AL and KY, stretching north into IL, WI and IA - but heading mostly northward as the blocking HIGH pressure ridge we are under in the NE and Mid Atlantic is not allowing much eastward movement to the rain showers towards our area right now.

Kevin the snowless Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Saturday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday, May 4 2013

Saturday was a tad bit cooler than Friday on the max temp side of things, with overnight and morning clouds keeping the temps down for a while in the AM hours, but still partly sunny, with highs in the mid 60s.  Tonight it is partly cloudy with temps heading down through the upper and mid 40s, I suspect a low in the low 40s by sunrise. Sunny skies for one more day on Sunday, with highs in the mid 60s. Clouding up on Sunday night and it should stay cloudy most of the upcoming week, into Friday. Temps should mostly be in the 60s by day and 50s by night through Wednesday, then 70s into the weekend with 50s still at night. There is a 30 POP for showers on Monday, growing to a 70 POP on Tuesday and Tuesday night, then a 50 POP on Wednesday and Wednesday night, then a 30 POP for showers on Thursday. Sun should return by Friday and then over the weekend, with highs remaining in the 70s and lows in the 50s. 

Saturday's precipitation: 0

High temp  67.2° VP2 (1538)(68.7° RS)
Low temp  45.8° VP2 (0155)(46.6° RS) 
Obs temp  53.2° VP2 (53.8°RS)    
Peak wind gust 14 NE (1423) 
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 88% (0646) to a low of 44% (1239)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 46° to 40°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.35"(0000) to 30.18"(1908)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 53.2°(VP2)/53.8°(RS), PCloudy, Winds 7E, Pressure at 30.24" and steady, humidity 66%, dew pt of 42°.

Currently at 0506 EDT I have a temp of 44.5°(VP2)/45.1°(RS), PCloudy, Winds 4 NNE, Pressure at 30.22" and steady, humidity 88%, dew pt of 41°.

Radar is rain showers in the SE US centered in most of KY at this time, running SE-NW and heading NW. Also TN, northern AL, into southern IN and IL are the border areas also being rained on.

Kevin the snowless Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Sunday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 Backyard weather station report for Sunday, May 5, 2013

Sunday was cooler than Saturday on the max temp side of things on stronger easterly flow off the ocean, with another dose of overnight and morning clouds also keeping the temps down for a while in the AM hours. Pretty sunny in the PM hours, but a bit chilly for shorts that I was wearing on Sunday as I ran around doing a few errands. Tonight it is partly cloudy with temps heading down through the mid 40s, I suspect a low around 45 by sunrise. Sunday's sunny skies were the last real good dose of sun we will see in several days, as cloudy conditions will dominate the scene most of the time during the coming week with high temps mostly in the 60s and low temps mostly in the 50s. We will see increasing chances of showers from a 40 POP on Monday afternoon to an 80 POP on Tuesday night and 70 POP on Wednesday from a system that has been struggling to get here from the SE over the past few days.  The end of the week should warm into the 70s but still with chances of showers and thundershowers (50 POP) on Saturday in a more summerlike pattern.

Sunday's precipitation: 0

High temp  63.2° VP2 (1826)(64.9° RS)
Low temp  44.3° VP2 (0523)(44.8° RS) 
Obs temp  51.2° VP2 (51.3°RS)    
Peak wind gust 12 NE (0753) 
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 88% (0444) to a low of 46% (1818)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 46° to 40°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.26"(0858) to 30.15"(1735)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 51.2°(VP2)/51.3°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 1ENE, Pressure at 30.20" and steady, humidity 80%, dew pt of 45°.

Currently at 0242 EDT I have a temp of 47.1°(VP2)/47.8°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.18" and steady, humidity 89%, dew pt of 44°.

Radar is scattered rain showers to my SE over SW VA, southern WV, KY, western NC, and NE TN. They are slowly headed this way, but are fairly broken and not particularly organized at this time.

Kevin the snowless Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Monday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Monday, May 6, 2013

Monday was cloudy and cool, the moisture finally started working into our area, and dew points have crept up through the 40s and well into the 50s. Rain showers have stayed away for the most part on Monday (we did get occasional periods of drizzle), with many parts of Virginia getting significant rains, along with NC, KY and TN the past few days. It looks like rain showers will become more numerous and widespread on Tuesday during the day and also at night (100 POP) with isolated thundershowers - high temps staying around 60 with no sun, lows Tuesday night in the 50s. Wednesday should see still more widespread showers, threat of an isolated thundershower, 80 POP during day, 70 POP in the evening.  Thur still cloudy but only a 30 POP for showers with highs into the 70s with some sun possible in the afternoon. Friday partly cloudy with highs well up in the 70s, and a 40 POP for showers and thundershowers scattered about. The weekend looks to cool off to around 70 with a continued threat of showers and storms (40-50 POP).

Monday's precipitation: T
May precipitation: T   

High temp  61.6° VP2 (1628)(62.6° RS)
Low temp  46.9° VP2 (0151)(47.3° RS) 
Obs temp  58.2° VP2 (59.4°RS)    
Peak wind gust 14 NE (1341) 
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 93% (2259) to a low of 80% (0000)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 58° to 43°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.20"(0000) to 30.06"(1847)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 58.2°(VP2)/59.4°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 4 SE, Pressure at 30.08" and steady, humidity 93%, dew pt of 56°.

Currently at 0221 EDT I have a temp of 58.0°(VP2)/59.2°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 3 NE, Pressure at 30.05" and falling, humidity 95%, dew pt of 57°.

Radar is showing scattered rain showers to my SW over much of the state of VA, heading from SE to NW in a really moist flow.

Kevin the snowless Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Tuesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Tuesday was cloudy, cool, and damp, as significant showers finally worked into our area by mid-morning, starting to fall as I was headed into work. Most intense showers fell around noon, then some more mid-afternoon with light amounts at a few other times.  Cloudy tonight, still quite damp. Temps remained in the low 60s today, upper 50s tonight. It should be a bit warmer tomorrow with a continued threat of showers (70 POP), highs in the mid-upper 60s. A lessening threat of showers as the week progresses, but still the threat is there, including an increasing threat by the weekend of thundershowers (60 POP on Saturday)  as temps head towards the 80 mark on Friday. Clouds will predominate, but we should start seeing more sun by Thursday and Friday.

Tuesday's precipitation: 0.72" (LR) 0.49" (VP2) 0.47" Max Rain Rate (MRR) @ 1205
May precipitation: 0.72"   
Annual YTD precipitation total: 13.17"

High temp  62.2° VP2 (1751)(64.2° RS)
Low temp  57.9° VP2 (0240)(59.2° RS) 
Obs temp  59.8° VP2 (61.9°RS)    
Peak wind gust 15 NE (0907) 
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (1147) to a low of 93% (0000)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 61° to 56°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.08"(0000) to 29.95"(1739)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 59.8°(VP2)/61.9°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 7 E, Pressure at 29.98" and rising, humidity 96%, dew pt of 59°.

Currently at 0301 EDT I have a temp of 58.5°(VP2)/60.6°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 2 NE, Pressure at 29.96" and steady, humidity 97%, dew pt of 58°.

Radar is showing widely scattered light rain showers in the region, mostly over towards Baltimore and well to the W up in the mountains. All still moving SE to NW.

Kevin the rainy Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Wednesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Wednesday was cloudy, cool, and damp in the early AM, but then late AM through mid-Afternoon the sun broke through and warmed us up to around 70. It also built up some convection with all the moisture around, and storms developed late afternoon and gave me a nice soaking rain from about 1700-1900 with most of my daily rainfall falling then. My wife did note some thunder, but it was not enough to bother our bassett hound Flash, so it couldn't have been that bad. And rainfall rates were steady for most of that first hour between 1700-1800, but relatively light. Tonight stability has returned, and enough to develop our current dense fog condition, as there is a dense fog advisory out for most of the region.  We will drop into the low 50s by morning. Tomorrow should be pretty dry with partly to mostly cloudy skies, with just a 40 POP for showers in the afternoon, and high temps in the mid 70s. Friday looks to be the hot day of the week, with another 40 POP for showers/storms, and highs up in the mid 80s. A 60 POP for showers/storms Friday night into Saturday as a cold front approaches the area from the West. Temps will start falling on Saturday into the 70s, and then with decreasing shower chances on Saturday night temps will drop into the lower 50s. Right now it looks like partly cloudy skies with highs in the mid 60s for Mother's Day, and little if any chance for more rain.

Wednesday's precipitation: 0.45" (LR) 0.41" (VP2)  0.37" Max Rain Rate (MRR) @ 1705
May precipitation: 1.17"   
Annual YTD precipitation total: 13.62"

High temp  69.4° VP2 (1558)(73.0° RS)
Low temp  55.7° VP2 (2328)(58.5° RS) 
Obs temp  55.8° VP2 (58.5°RS)    
Peak wind gust 16 SE (1652) 
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0156) to a low of 56% (1609)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 60° to 53°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.01"(0918) to 29.93"(1555)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 55.8°(VP2)/58.5°(RS), Cloudy/light fog, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.98" and steady, humidity 97%, dew pt of 55°.

Currently at 0306 EDT I have a temp of 54.1°(VP2)/56.8°(RS), Cloudy/dense fog, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.94" and falling, humidity 97%, dew pt of 53°.

Radar is showing the cut-off LOW circulation in the swirling patterns of precipitation in the mid-Atlantic region. Many holes exist (dry slots) mainly over our area of MD. Most of the rain showers are over on the Eastern shore of MD and DE, and up into parts of New Jersey. All slowly moving in a general  NE.direction. 

Kevin the rainy Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Thursday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Thursday, May 9, 2013

Thursday was mostly cloudy but with some sun breaks, humid, with sprinkles and light fog in the AM and also light showers in the evening, when I also saw a few lightning flashes on the way home from the office. Muggy and cloudy overnight, temps holding in the 50s. Friday looks to be sunny early, temps climbing into the low 80s but clouding over in the afternoon with a 40 POP for showers/storms later on in the afternoon. Increasing chances for precip on Friday night (60 POP) and Saturday (70 POP) - starting to cool off and clear off later, yielding a cooler, dry, partly cloudy day (highs in the 60s) for Mother's Day Sunday. Early next week looks to start off on a sunny note with cool temps in the 60s for highs and 40s for lows and dry. 

Thursday's precipitation: 0.02" (LR) 0.02" (VP2)
May precipitation: 1.19"   
Annual YTD precipitation total: 13.64"

High temp  73.6° VP2 (1832)(77.7° RS)
Low temp  53.1° VP2 (0553)(55.8° RS) 
Obs temp  59.2° VP2 (61.9°RS)    
Peak wind gust 12 W (1358) 
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (0654) to a low of 63% (1831)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 63° to 52°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.01"(2231) to 29.93"(0421)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 59.2°(VP2)/61.9°(RS), Cloudy/light fog, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.00" and steady, humidity 94%, dew pt of 58°.

Currently at 0209 EDT I have a temp of 57.0°(VP2)/59.5°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.01" and steady, humidity 95%, dew pt of 56°.

Radar is showing widely scattered light showers in the region, noted earlier with more showers that the flow had returned back to the usual flow around here- NW to SE...

Kevin the soggy Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Friday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Friday, May 10, 2013

Friday was partly to mostly cloudy, warm, muggy with evening showers and thundershowers.  The overnight has been cloudy and muggy with occasional light showers around, but nothing measurable so far at my station since midnight. Saturday should be cloudy, muggy with a 90 POP for showers and thunderstorms with high temps in the 70s, a 60 POP for evening showers on Saturday night, clearing off later and turning cooler while drying out. Mother's Day Sunday should be sunny and really nice, with high temps in the mid 60s withe clear skies Sunday night and the low temperature getting down to around 40. Monday should be partly sunny and even a bit cooler, with highs in the low 60s and lows Monday night in the upper 30s with frost possible in some favorable locations. Tuesday should see a slight warm up starting with highs in the mid 60s and lows in the 40s on Tuesday night, then on Wednesday highs in the low 70s  under sunny skies then on Thursday we should see the temperature return to a high around 80 with a 30 POP for showers. A 40 POP for showers Thursday night then partly cloudy skies on Friday with a high around 80.

Friday's precipitation: 0.77" (LR) VP2 precip catch missing - gauge was clogged with vegetation and didn't record.
May precipitation: 1.96"   
Annual YTD precipitation total: 14.41"

High temp  82.8° VP2 (1610)(86.5° RS)
Low temp  53.2° VP2 (0614)(56.1° RS) 
Obs temp  63.3° VP2 (65.5°RS)    
Peak wind gust 16 NW (2036) 
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (0806) to a low of 42% (1608)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 64° to 52°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.02"(0850) to 29.86"(1905)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 63.3°(VP2)/65.5°(RS), Cloudy/light fog/sprinkles, Winds 1 W, Pressure at 29.90" and falling, humidity 96%, dew pt of 62°.

Currently at 0440 EDT I have a temp of 62.4°(VP2)/64.4°(RS), Cloudy/damp, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.84" and falling, humidity 97%, dew pt of 62°.

Radar is showing showers moving NE from our area, headed through the MD Eastern Shore, DE and into NJ and NY. More scattered showers out to the west, but they are few and widely scattered and probably won't affect my immediate location through sunrise.

Kevin the soggy Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Saturday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday, May 11, 2013

Saturday was partly cloudy, still warm and muggy with brief midday showers and a light shower with the FROPA in the evening. Conditions the past few hours have gradually been improving, with temps finally getting into the 50s and dew points dropping into the low 50s.  Mother's Day Sunday should be sunny and cooler/drier with highs in the mid 60s. Sunday night noticeably cooler than it has been at night, with lows in the upper 30s to around 40. Monday should be even cooler, with highs in the upper 50s. Monday night cooler still and clear, with lows in the mid 30s and frost possible. Tuesday sunny once again and a bit milder, up in the low-mid 60s. A bit of clouds Tuesday night will keep the min temps in the 40s, though it will generally be clear. Wednesday a bit warmer still under partly cloudy skies, highs in the low 70s. Thursday through Saturday should see partly to mostly cloudy skies, temps up in the 70s, with a 40 POP for showers and possibly a thundershower.  Sunday should dry out under sun and high temps in the upper 70s.

Saturday's precipitation: 0.16" (LR) The VP2 precip catch is missing - gauge was unclogged later in the day and should be good to go from now on. 
May precipitation: 2.12"   
Annual YTD precipitation total: 14.57"

High temp  75.6° VP2 (1548)(78.1° RS)
Low temp  61.4° VP2 (2331)(63.9° RS) 
Obs temp  61.6° VP2 (64.0°RS)    
Peak wind gust 7 W (0855) 
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (0634) to a low of 66% (1558)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 67° to 60°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.91"(0024) to 29.71"(1602)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 61.6°(VP2)/64.0°(RS), PCldy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.78" and steady, humidity 95%, dew pt of 60°.

Currently at 0435 EDT I have a temp of 58.1°(VP2)/60.1°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.77" and steady, humidity 79%, dew pt of 52°.

Radar is showing showers moving NE over SE VA and the DELMARVA Eastern Shore, gradually moving away from our area.

Kevin the soggy Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Sunday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Mother's Day Sunday, May 12, 2013

Sunday was a really pretty day, sunny, cooler, drier, much more comfortable than the previous few days that featured a bit of warm,muggy weather that foreshodowed what will be getting plenty of over the next few months (unfortunately). Our high temp for the day was reached just after midnight- we never got that high again the rest of the day. Temps in the afternoon reached into the low 60s but with dew points much lower, in the low-mid 30s. Tonight it is clear with temps dropping through the 50s and currently into the mid 40s. By sunrise we may drop into the upper 30s. A bit of an upper air disturbance should pass through our area tomorrow with partly cloudy skies and a slight chance of a sprinkle, with high temps in the upper 50s. Monday night skies should clear once again with temps dropping a bit further with frost possible in some areas, into the mid 30s.  Tuesday should see continued sunny skies with highs in the mid 60s. Lows Tuesday night not as cool with lows in the 40s. Wednesday should warm up into the 70s, then turn cloudy Wed night with milder lows in the 50s.Thursday should be our warmest day of the week,with highs in the low 80s under sunny skies. Lows Thursday night in the upper  50s to around 60.  Friday will be partly to mostly cloudy, high temps in the upper 70s with a 40 POP for showers and storms. Friday night should clear out but remain mild with lows in the 50s. First look at next weekend shows sunny and warm on Saturday and Sunday, with highs in the low 80s.

High temp  61.7° VP2 (0012)(64.4° RS) (afternoon max on VP2 61.5° @ 1510)
Low temp  48.2° VP2 (2359)(49.6° RS) 
Obs temp  48.2° VP2 (49.6°RS)    
Peak wind gust 17 W (1430) 
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 95% (0000) to a low of 33% (1348)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 60° to 30°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.05"(2355) to 29.76"(0248)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 48.2°(VP2)/49.6°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.05" and rising, humidity 56%, dew pt of 33°.

Currently at 0152 EDT I have a temp of 43.7°(VP2)/45.0°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.05" and steady, humidity 74%, dew pt of 36°.

Radar is showing scattered very light showers of rain or snow over northern New England, upstate New York, and northern Michigan at this time.

Kevin the soggy Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Monday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Monday, May 13, 2013

Back to work Monday was another pretty day, sunny at times, clouds at times, a tad cooler than Sunday with some decent breezes at times. Skies have really cleared off now in the evening/early Tue morning hours and the winds have dropped to calm over the past several hours, and the temps has fallen through the 40s into the upper 30s now. I think I will hit the mid 30s by sunrise (FROST advisory just extended into my county a few minutes ago). Freeze watches and warnings are out for areas to my west out in the Shenandoah River Valley and the mountains further to the west. Tomorrow will probably turn out to be my coldest morning of May. As is usually the case this time of year, a rapid warmup will ensue after this coldest morning. Many reasons for this, temps reach their coldest when the HIGH is sitting right over us, giving us clear skies and no winds, allowing for maximum radiational cooling. Then the HIGH shifts east, and we get a warmer return flow. Tuesday should be sunny and a bit milder, with high temps in the low 60s,then clouds and sprinkles Tue night with temps in the 40s. Then a big warmup on Wednesday with highs well up in the 70s with a 30 POP for showers and storms. The rest of the week should see temps in the upper 70s to low 80s with a 30-50 POP for showers/storms each day. Lows will be mostly in the 50s.

Monday's precipitation: 0 

High temp  59.6° VP2 (1559)(61.9° RS) 
Low temp  40.7° VP2 (0620)(41.7° RS) 
Obs temp  42.7° VP2 (43.0°RS)    
Peak wind gust 21 E (1240) also 21 NNE (1625) 
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 84% (0601) to a low of 27% (1539)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 37° to 24°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.18"(2358) to 30.04"(0221)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 42.7°(VP2)/43.0°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.18" and rising, humidity 70%, dew pt of 34°.

Currently at 0234 EDT I have a temp of 38.8°(VP2)/39.0°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.19" and rising, humidity 84%, dew pt of 34°.

Radar is showing scattered shower activity in parts of Michigan and Wisconsin at this time.

Kevin the snowless  but frosty Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Tuesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Tuesday was a transitional day after a clear, cold early morning. More than likely my 35 low temp will be my coldest reading for the month of May. When I was going to work around 0900, I noticed that we had a high cloud deck that must have put a lid on the temp earlier - the 35 was recorded at 0600 so the cloud deck probably came in right after that. A weak warm front kept moving in from the W and we got some sprinkles in the evening, along with moderating temps, particularly in the evening, as we have held in the mid 50s after topping off in the low 60s. earlier in the day. I suspect that these mid 50s temps will hold through the overnight, and will give us a launching pad for our high temps on Wednesday, which look to be somewhere in the 80s. with partly cloudy skies and a chance of some morning sprinkles. The next several days, through the weekend and into next week, look to have max temps from the mid 70s to low 80s, with a 30-50 POP for showers and storms each day. Low temps should mostly be in the 50s. Partly to mostly cloudy days, clearing off somewhat at night.  Much more of a muggy summertime pattern than we have been having, much to my "un-liking".

Tuesday's precipitation: T 

High temp  62.3° VP2 (1540)(63.7° RS) 
Low temp  35.1° VP2 (0600)(35.4° RS) 
Obs temp  55.8° VP2 (56.8°RS)    
Peak wind gust 12 W (1126)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 93% (0709) to a low of 36% (1400)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 43° to 31°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.23"(0835) to 30.06"(2005)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 55.8°(VP2)/56.8°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 5 E, Pressure at 30.06" and steady, humidity 58%, dew pt of 41°.

Currently at 0217 EDT I have a temp of 55.7°(VP2)/56.8°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 2 NE, Pressure at 30.01" and falling, humidity 64%, dew pt of 44°.

Radar is showing light scattered shower activity moving NNW to SSE to my east over the eastern parts of MD and DE at this time.

Wednesday was another transitional day - the second one to yesterday. Clouds and sprinkles in the AM and relatively cool gave way to PM partly sunny skies, warm and muggy conditions, with dew points rising to the mid 60s. Tonight temps have not dropped much, in the mid 60s now under cloudy skies. Temps probably will try to approach the dew point, currently 60, by sunrise. Mostly Cloudy and muggy one more day on Thursday, with highs in the low to mid 80s with a 30 POP for showers and storms. A cold front looks to be dropping far enough south to clear the area, and give us a few cooler days starting on Friday, with highs in the 70s, lows in the 50s, then sunny and cooler still on Saturday, with highs in the upper 60s, lows around 50, then back into the 70s on Sunday with partly cloudy skies.

Wednesday's precipitation: T 

High temp  83.7° VP2 (1813)(85.8° RS) 
Low temp  53.9° VP2 (0703)(54.7° RS) 
Obs temp  70.5° VP2 (70.9°RS)    
Peak wind gust 10 NE (1554)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 81% (0709) to a low of 52% (1804)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 66° to 41°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.06"(0000) to 29.69"(1802)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 70.5°(VP2)/70.9°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.76" and rising, humidity 80%, dew pt of 64°.

Currently at 0236 EDT I have a temp of 66.9°(VP2)/67.8°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.76" and steady, humidity 75%, dew pt of 59°.

Radar is showing scattered light showers moving west to east across central PA coming out of central Indiana and Ohio, marking the frontal boundary that will be slipping south in the next few days.

Thursday was a bit cooler than Wednesday on the max temp, but it was warmer on the mins- we are starting to log 60s mins - a real depressing indication that summer is around the corner. Cloudy early, but no observed precip today- with partial clearing and a bit drier conditions as the day progressed. Storms that were to my north in central PA yesterday kind of skipped over us and then today were found to our south, in southern WV moving into the southern VA areas like Richmond. The east-west oriented front is wobbling north and south, and currently is lying south of us. But over the weekend, it will bec close enough for small waves along it to bring in increasing chances of precipitation to our area, topped off with a 60 POP for showers and storms on Sunday,with high temps in the upper 60s to low 70s and low only around 60. Friday and Saturday won't be too bad with partly cloudy skies and highs in the 70s and lows in the upper 50s. It looks to be warmer early next week, highs reaching into the low 80s again, and lows in the low to mid 60s and somewhat muggy.

Thursday's precipitation: 0 

High temp  78.2° VP2 (1735)(79.2° RS) 
Low temp  65.4° VP2 (0654)(66.2° RS) 
Obs temp  67.6° VP2 (68.2°RS)    
Peak wind gust 13 N (1035)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 83% (0045) to a low of 56% (1037)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 65° to 55°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.94"(2359) to 29.75"(0332)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 67.6°(VP2)/68.2°(RS), PCloudy, Winds 1 SW, Pressure at 29.94" and rising, humidity 71%, dew pt of 58°.

Currently at 0205 EDT I have a temp of 65.3°(VP2)/66.0°(RS), PCloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.94" and steady, humidity 76%, dew pt of 58°.

Radar is showing widely scattered very light showers over parts of W PA, and rain showers moving slowly NE from the deep South, like SW TN, AL, MS, along with light widely scattered activity in parts of WI and IL at this time.

Kevin the snowless Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Friday morning.

Friday warmed up under full sun and drier conditions. Temps reached the low 80s but dew points remained in the 50s for most of the day. Cloudy skies returned this evening with a lid on the temp keeping values in the 60s all night. Clouds should predominate most of the weekend, more humid, with a 40 POP for showers later on Saturday and then a 60 POP for showers/storms late Saturday night, then a 70 POP for showers/storms on Sunday and Sunday night. Temps should be in the 70s by day and 60s at night. Monday still has a 50 POP for showers with highs in the upper 70s, then back down only into the 60s once again. Cloudy Tuesday, sunny Wednesday with high temps in the 80s and lows in the 60s. A high of 80 on Thursday under another risk of showers/storms (30-40 POP at this point).

High temp  82.4° VP2 (1817)(84.9° RS) 
Low temp  58.4° VP2 (0633)(59.0° RS) 
Obs temp  67.7° VP2 (68.5°RS)    
Peak wind gust 8 N (1134)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 93% (0732) to a low of 36% (1154)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 60° to 46°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.14"(2357) to 29.94"(0000)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 67.7°(VP2)/68.5°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 4 ESE, Pressure at 30.14" and rising, humidity 54%, dew pt of 50°.

Currently at 0509 EDT I have a temp of 64.1°(VP2)/64.9°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 2 SE, Pressure at 30.17" and rising, humidity 72%, dew pt of 55°.

Radar is showing a good area of showers and possibly a few embedded thundershowers over SE VA at this time. Light shower activity to the W in western NC, SW VA, NE TN, parts of KY.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday, May 18, 2013

Saturday cooled down a bit more than predicted on Friday, with cloudy skies and occasional drizzle as temps remained in the 60s. Temps this evening/early morning Sunday has dropped into the upper 50s with drizzle still falling at times.  Sunday looks to keep up the cloudiness with a 70 POP for showers during the day and evening, with high temps a bit warmer up near 70 with lows Sunday night in the low 60s. Monday should be warmer still but with a 40 POP for showers and a high temp near 80. Tuesday and Wednesday should see temps rising more, into the mid 80s with partly to mostly sunny skies, lows in the 60s. Thursday should be in the low 80s with more clouds and a 30 POP for showers. Thursday night temps in the 60s once again with a 40 POP for showers under cloudy skies. Friday should find temps in the mid 70s with a 40 POP for showers/storms. Cooling off on Friday night with clearing skies, lows in the 50s. Saturday should be sunny and cooler, with highs around 70 as we should have a fine start to the Memorial Day weekend.  It looks now like it will be cool and sunny for the rest of the weekend, but just a bit too far in the future to get Sunday and Monday figured out for sure just yet.

Saturday's precipitation: T 

High temp  68.1° VP2 (0023)(68.9° RS) 
Low temp  59.2° VP2 (2331)(60.1° RS) 
Obs temp  59.2° VP2 (60.1°RS)    
Peak wind gust 11 NE (1905)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 92% (2357) to a low of 53% (0002)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 57° to 50°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.24"(1119) to 30.14"(0000)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 59.2°(VP2)/60.1°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 5 N, Pressure at 30.21" and steady, humidity 92%, dew pt of 57°.

Currently at 0431 EDT I have a temp of 59.5°(VP2)/60.4°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.17" and falling, humidity 95%, dew point of 58°.

Radar doesn't show drizzle well at all. Light showers were widely scattered off to the east and south over the MD Eastern Shore and tidewater/SE VA earlier but have just about died out now.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Sunday, May 19, 2013

Sunday warmed up a bit helped by some afternoon sun. Dew point temps also rose - into the mid 60s. The warm front that had been to our south has moved north and I believe has just about passed our area. Currently there is an area of showers just to my west and south which may affect my area within the next few hours. Temps should remain in the 60s. Monday should be mostly cloudy, high temps around 80 with a 40 POP for showers/storms during the day and in the evening. On Tuesday and Wednesday we should just have partly cloudy skies with high temps in the mid 80s - and muggy. Thursday and Friday should find a return of clouds with a 30-40 POP for showers/storms- low 80s on Thursday, mid-upper 70s on Friday. Lows mostly in the 60s all week. Over the weekend it looks like we will dry out as a cold front finally pushes through the area. Temps on Saturday should be around 70 with sunny skies. Partly cloudy on Sunday with highs in the low-mid  70s and lows in the 50s. Not a bad start to the Memorial Day weekend.

High temp  72.8° VP2 (1845)(75.2° RS) 
Low temp  59.1° VP2 (0045)(59.9° RS) 
Obs temp  66.7° VP2 (68.5°RS)    
Peak wind gust 8 NE (0006)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0900) to a low of 79% (1807)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 66° to 57°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.22"(0039) to 30.09"(1844)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 66.7°(VP2)/68.5°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 2 E, Pressure at 30.13" and steady, humidity 92%, dew pt of 64°.

Currently at 0124 EDT I have a temp of 66.6°(VP2)/68.4°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.10" and falling, humidity 93%, dew pt of 65°.

Radar is showing an area of showers just to my west and south - it looks like I should be getting some rain in the next hour or so. If I don't get it then, I won't get it at all overnight. Other areas of rain right now are over parts of New England, scattered light showers over eastern North Carolina, and showers and storms over western WI and much of Iowa.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Monday, May 20, 2013

Monday warmed up a bit more after some early morning clouds and drizzle. Afternoon sun drove the temps up to the 80 mark, and moisture increased to max out the dew point to the very uncomforable 70 mark. The temperature this evening has been slow to drop, only reaching the upper 60s early this Tuesday morning under cloudy skies. Temps should only drop a degree or two by sunrise under cloudy skies. Clouds will predominate most of this coming week, but with some sun, particularly on Tuesday and Wednesday, with muggy 80s for high temps and lows in the 60s. Increasing chances for showers/storms as we progress through the week, from 30% on Wednesday to 50% on Friday. Cooling off by the end of the week should clear things out for a glorious Memorial Day weekend with highs in the 70s and lows in the 50s under sunny to partly cloudy skies and lower dew points in the 40s and/or 50s.

Monday's precipitation: T (Please note that I forgot to log a T for Sunday also, as I had some overnight drizzle I had missed reporting in yesterday's post.)

High temp  80.4° VP2 (1808)(85.8° RS) 
Low temp  65.5° VP2 (0507)(67.5° RS) 
Obs temp  70.9° VP2 (72.9°RS)    
Peak wind gust 8 E (1729)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (0440) to a low of 66% (1820)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 70° to 64°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.13"(0000) to 29.98"(1945)                                                                                                                                     
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 70.9°(VP2)/72.9°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.99" and steady, humidity 88%, dew pt of 67°.

Currently at 0240 EDT I have a temp of 68.3°(VP2)/70.3°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.97" and falling, humidity 92%, dew pt of 66°.

Radar is showing a line of showers associated with a cold frontal boundary running NNE-SSW through Lake Michigan, Illinois, eastern Missouri and parts of Arkansas at this time.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Tuesday warmed up a bit more after some morning clouds - and dew points rose over the 70 mark for the first time this season. Not looking forward to doing that a lot the next few months. Still above 70° early this Wednesday morning.  Should only drop into the upper 60s where the dew pt is currently by sunrise. Clouds should predominate most of the time over Wednesday and Thursday- continued warm and humid with a 50 POP for showers/storms on Wednesday and a 70 POP on Thursday. Highs in the 80s, lows in the upper 60s. Thursday night should clear out and start cooling/drying off. Highs on Friday under sunny skies will only be in the upper 60s, with lows Friday night predicted to be in the mid 40s. Highs around 70 on Saturday under sunny skies, lows in the upper 40s. Sunday starting to warm up a tad into the 70s, lows in the 50s. Clouds return on Memorial Day with rain possible late and on Tuesday. Not a big warm up yet, though I heard some rumblings about that earlier today for next week. Sure hope not.

Tuesday's precipitation: 0

High temp  83.7° VP2 (1649)(88.7° RS) 
Low temp  67.5° VP2 (0320)(69.6° RS) 
Obs temp  72.6° VP2 (74.5°RS)    
Peak wind gust 9 E (1405)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 95% (0434) to a low of 66% (1625)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 72° to 65°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.01"(0928) to 29.87"(2116)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 72.6°(VP2)/74.5°(RS), PCloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.89" and steady, humidity 88%, dew pt of 69°.

Currently at 0211 EDT I have a temp of 70.2°(VP2)/72.1°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.86" and falling, humidity 92%, dew pt of 68°.

Radar is showing dying showers over parts of WV that won't hold together by the time it drifts this way. Rain showers/storms over western TN, parts of Arkansas, NW MS and also showers over parts of NY and New England at this time.

Wednesday was the big day of switching over to verizon from comcast, but for now, so far, I am still using comcast email. Will advise when changes are made on that front. Wednesday was very warm and humid, with late afternoon cumulus buildups that led to some light thundershower action in the evening. Not severe at all, we were just on the edge with just a brief downpour just before 9 PM. Cooled us off out of the muggy upper 70s to the muggy mid 60s. Maintaining mid 60s now in the early morning hours of Thursday, with dew pt also in the mid 60s. Thursday should be cloudy and muggy with highs in the upper 70s to around 80 with a 90 POP for showers and storms, scattered light showers possible in the AM, more substantial activity in the afternoon and evening. Lows dropping late Thursday night into the upper 50s. Cloudy Friday with possible morning showers (30 POP) and maybe an afternoon sprinkle, but noticeably cooler and eventually drying out towards evening, with high temps in the mid-upper 60s. Lows on Friday night under clear skies in the mid 40s. Over the weekend highs around 70 into the lower 70s, lows in the mid-upper 40s on Saturday night and 50s Sunday and Monday night with more clouds to keep the temps up a bit. A 30 POP for showers by Monday, highs in the low 70s and lows in the 50s for Memorial Day.

Wednesday's precipitation: 0.12" (LR) 0.16" (VP2) Max rain rate (MRR) 5.14"/hr @ 2050
May precipitation: 2.24"   
Annual YTD precipitation total: 14.69"

High temp  85.8° VP2 (1442)(88.9° RS) 
Low temp  66.7° VP2 (2347)(68.7° RS) 
Obs temp  66.7° VP2 (68.7°RS)    
Peak wind gust 12 E (1738)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0726) to a low of 62% (1413)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 74° to 65°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.94"(2209) to 29.82"(1658)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 66.7°(VP2)/68.7°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.90" and steady, humidity 95%, dew pt of 65°.

Currently at 0241 EDT I have a temp of 65.2°(VP2)/67.3°(RS), PCloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.87" and falling, humidity 96%, dew pt of 64°.

Radar is showing scattered weakening shower activity to my west out in the mountains of PA, WV, and VA among other Appalachian mountain states at this time. Movement is generally to the NE.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Thursday, May 23, 2013

Thursday was not as warm but still muggy, with late afternoon/early evening thunderstorms that gave me my biggest rain in over a month (since April 19 when I had 1.57"). We had two rounds of precipitation when most of today's rain fell - according to the VP2 (for some reason I got a bit more here than from my LR gauge) I had 0.78" of rain between 1730 and 1815 and 0.84" between 1900 and 1940. My max rain rate was 9.00" recorded at 1750. The rest of the evening has featured occasional light rain showers, and has continued into the early morning hours of Friday. Temps reached the upper 70s in mid-afternoon but have fallen into the mid 60s early on this Friday. I suspect we will be around 60 by sunrise. Radar is not indicating any more showers for the foreseeable next few hours. Friday should be considerably cooler, cloudy with a 40 POP for occasional light showers, extending into Friday evening. High temp during the day on Friday will only reach 60 so they may stay steady for most of the day then start dropping off in the evening, with lows overnight Friday into the low 40s. Sunny skies should dominate over the Memorial Day weekend, with highs in the 60s on Saturday and lows in the low 40s, then 70 on Sunday and low 70s on Monday, with lows in the upper 40s Sunday to lower 50s by Monday. Sunny to partly cloudy skies through most of next week, with a gradual warming into the 80s for highs, 60s for lows by Thursday.

Thursday's precipitation: 1.50" (LR) 1.67" (VP2) Max rain rate (MRR) 9.00"/hr @ 1750
May precipitation: 3.74"   
Annual YTD precipitation total: 16.19"

High temp  78.9° VP2 (1640)(82.8° RS) 
Low temp  64.0° VP2 (2359)(66.6° RS) 
Obs temp  64.0° VP2 (66.6°RS)    
Peak wind gust 9 E (1509)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0329) to a low of 68% (1628)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 71° to 63°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.91"(0019) to 29.76"(1820)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 64.0°(VP2)/66.6°(RS), Cloudy/light rain, Winds 1 NW, Pressure at 29.81" and steady, humidity 97%, dew pt of 63°.

Currently at 0248 EDT I have a temp of 62.7°(VP2)/65.5°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.75" and falling, humidity 97%, dew pt of 62°.

Radar is showing the bulk of the rain showers moving off to the MD Eastern Shore and Delaware at this time, also moving NE into NJ, NY and New England.

Kevin the sweltering Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Friday morning.

Archived