• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
What's the Weather Where You are?

terpguy

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Thursday, July 18, 2013

Thursday was a bit cloudier than it had been earlier in the week, still hot and humid, but with the clouds there were more pop-up showers/storms scattered about the region in the afternoon.  Dew points were higher than ever, as I topped over the 80 mark for the first time this year.  Pretty rare at my station. Friday should continue with this more unsettled pattern, though the high temps will still be in the 90s. Lows tonight have barely made it below 80 at 2 AM, by sunrise mid 70s lows will be the best we can hope for with the mid 70s dew points we have right now. There will be a 50 POP for showers and storms on Friday, increasing to a 60 POP on Saturday, similar temps. Partly cloudy Friday and Saturday. A 50 POP for Sunday showers/storms, cooler with highs in the mid 80s, and lows in the mid-upper 60s. Monday will find us still in a potentially showery afternoon (50 POP) with highs in the mid 80s and lows in the mid 60s. Tuesday we finally dry out under partly cloudy skies and highs in the mid 80s, lows in the mid 60s. Wednesday should duplicate these Tuesday conditions before a warm up starts to kick in on Thursday (highs in the upper 80s)

Thursday's precipitation: 0    
July precipitation: 2.26"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 28.10"

Other data for Thursday is as follows: 

High temp  94.0° VP2 (1831)(RS 94.8°) 
Low temp  74.9° VP2 (0615)(RS 75.0°)   
Obs t
emp  81.9° VP2 (RS 82.2°)  
Peak wind gust 7 N (0906)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 94% (0736) to a low of 60% (1510)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 81° to 73°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.12"(0000) to 29.99"(1802)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 81.9°(VP2), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.01" and steady, humidity 85%, dew pt of 77°.

Currently at 0239 EDT I have a temp of 79.2°(VP2), (79.2° RS) , Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.01" and steady, humidity 90%, dew point of 76°. 

Radar is a good area of showers throughout the UP of Michigan and the associated water areas of Lake Superior, stretching eastward (but much more scattered) through Ontario east into far upstate NY and northern New England (mostly Maine). This is associated with a stationary frontal boundary that is not going to be any help for us in the near term.

Kevin the "uncomfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Friday morning.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
     Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Friday, July 19, 2013

Friday was a bit more cloudy than Thursday, still hot and humid, but still more showers and storms around in the afternoon, cooling the 90+ temps into the mid 80s at my location during a light thundershower during the mid-afternoon hours that looked quite impressive on radar that I was looking at in my office that accumulated in my lake region gauge, but showed nothing in my VP2 gauge. I thought the VP2 might be blocked with debris, and sure enough it was. I cleaned it out after I got home, but no more rain fell through midnight. Temps have slid down into the muggy mid 70s early this Saturday morning- we should make it into the low 70s by sunrise in a few hours. Saturday and Sunday both carry partly to mostly cloudy skies, hot and humid on Saturday with highs in the mid 90s, a bit "cooler" on Sunday with highs in the upper 80s, and a 50 POP for showers/storms both days. Lows in the 70s. A 40-50 POP for showers/storms continuing on Monday and carrying through most of the week, through Thursday. High temps should be in the mid-upper 80s, lows in the upper 60s as our "cold front" stalls just to our south, never really clearing out this muggy air completely, with that continued threat of daily showers/storms. Friday looks to be partly cloudy with highs in the mid 80s and little to no chances of rain as it stands right now, but certainly in a week's time that could change.

Friday's precipitation: 0.02" (LR) 0.00" (VP2 - no accumulation due to blockage)    
July precipitation: 2.28"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 28.12"

Other data for Friday is as follows: 

High temp  94.0° VP2 (1512)(RS 94.6°) 
Low temp  76.9° VP2 (0557)(RS 76.8°)   
Obs temp  77.8° VP2 (RS 78.1°)  
Peak wind gust 11 E (1709)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 95% (0643) to a low of 57% (1440)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 80° to 72°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.01"(0002) to 29.87"(1847)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 77.8°(VP2), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.88" and falling, humidity 81%, dew pt of 72°.

Currently at 0412 EDT I have a temp of 75.4°(VP2), (75.6° RS) , Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.84" and falling, humidity 86%, dew point of 71°. 

Radar is showing an area of showers and storms centered over Lake Erie at this time, with the rain extending over parts of western NY state, NW PA, parts of southern Ontario and back into parts of SE Michigan and northern OH. .

Kevin the uncomforable Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Saturday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday,July 20,2013

Saturday was a partly (morning, early afternoon) to mostly cloudy later on in the later afternoon and evening, still hot and humid, but with more intense showers and storms around 9-10 PM this evening.  It "cooled" down slightly for max temps (into the low 90s)  and then when the mid-evening hours arrived along with this powerful thunderstorm I was on the southern edge of, temps dropped significantly into the 70s and have remained there up to this point. Reports of several inches of rain falling just to my north in Germantown, Clarksburg and Damascus with flood warnings posted by NWS over the NOAA Weather Radio. Hopefully will find more specific details on Sunday or sometime thereafter. There is a 50 POP for showers/storms on Sunday, with still more "slightly cooler" conditions, predicted to be in the upper 80s. The 50 POP continues through Sunday evening, morphing to a 60 POP on Monday all day and Tuesday during the day with high temps cooling off a bit more - into the mid 80s. The rest of the week features a 50 POP chance for showers/storms through Thursday - Partly cloudy skies, lows in the mid 60s. Friday and Saturday look dry and partly cloudy, with highs in the upper 80s and lows in the upper 60s. 

Saturday's precipitation: 0.11" (LR) 0.11" (VP2) Max rain rate (MRR) 4.47" @ 2207.     
July precipitation: 2.39"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 28.23"

Other data for Saturday is as follows: 

High temp  91.1° VP2 (1701)(RS 92.7°) 
Low temp  73.5° VP2 (2256)(RS 73.4°)   
Obs temp  73.5° VP2 (RS 73.4°)  
Peak wind gust 15 NW (2101)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 95% (2329) to a low of 60% (1641)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 78° to 70°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.91"(1023) to 29.79"(1704)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 73.5°(VP2), Cloudy, Winds 1 ENE, Pressure at 29.89" and rising, humidity 95%, dew pt of 72°.

Currently at 0517 EDT I have a temp of 70.8°(VP2), (71.1° RS) , Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.90" and steady, humidity 95%, dew point of 69°. 

Radar on a regional look is showing a rough line of showers between offshore off of Long Island extending WSW into our area out to parts of SE KY - showers are isolated and widely scattered along this rough line.

Kevin the "uncomfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Sunday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Sunday, July 21, 2013

Sunday was a mostly cloudy, humid, warm day but for the first time since July 13 I didn't reach 90 for a high temperature. Rain seemed to be imminent by 5 PM according to radar, but I only received a very light amount around 5:20 PM. That was all I got the rest of the day. Temps cooled off into the muggy 70s for the late afternoon and through the evening, with dew points generally remaining above 70. We should have more clouds this week than sun, with gradually decreasing chances for rain through the week. Monday starts off with an 80 POP for showers/storms, then a 70 POP on Monday evening. A 60 POP for rain on Tuesday and Tuesday evening, then a 40-50 POP for Wednesday. A 30 POP on Thursday then yields to negligible chances on Friday through the weekend. High temps should mostly be in the mid-upper 80s early in the week, lows in the upper 60s to lower 70s. From Thursday on we should have highs in the mid 80s by day, mid 60s by night. Dew points should be dropping a bit, but still pretty muggy.

Sunday's precipitation: 0.01" (LR) 0.01" (VP2)      
July precipitation: 2.40"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 28.24"

Other data for Sunday is as follows: 

High temp  87.7° VP2 (1456)(RS 88.3°) 
Low temp  70.0° VP2 (0613)(RS 70.2°)   
Obs temp  74.9° VP2 (RS 74.8°)  
Peak wind gust 6 SW (1105)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0704) to a low of 56% (1438)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 76° to 69°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.95"(1042) to 29.88"(1822)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 74.8°(VP2), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.94" and steady, humidity 94%, dew pt of 73°.

Currently at 0233 EDT I have a temp of 73.6°(VP2), (73.4° RS) , Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.93" and steady, humidity 95%, dew point of 72°. 

Radar is showing scattered showers through much of the Eastern US, most concentrated right now in sections of Indiana and southern Michigan at the present time. Locally, light showers over parts of central VA appear to be dying out as they head slowly E.

Kevin the "uncomfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Monday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Monday, July 22, 2013

Monday was a bit cooler than Sunday, still quite muggy.  I had some adversity today, but not much time right now to explain it in detail. I lost 2 hours of data from my VP2 this morning due to a power failure, and lost it totally as my batteries are still lying on the table, as I have not been able to get them into the battery compartment in the back of the VP2 display.  Study of records it doesn't appear that I missed any daily extemes or notable occcurences for the day. (was out from about 7 AM to 9 AM - my morning min was eclipsed just prior to midnight - backed up by my back up Radio Shack max-min thermometer). We had temps in the mid 80s but dropped into the 70s this evening as we got a heavy thundershower (but only one clap of thunder/one lightning flash at the outset of the storm)  around 10 PM. What was particularly noteworthy was the heavy, intense rain with incredible rainfall rates. It was slippery outside at midnight when I attempted to get my Lake Region gauge brought in and measured. Somehow I lost the top, it flew off into my neighbor's yard, and I believe I spilled a bit out of the LR gauge. I didn't think it was too much - not sure what to think actually- see the disparity between gauges showing below. I have to go with the VP2 gauge amount for now, unless I get a surprise when I check other observer data tomorrow from closeby stations. Cloudy overnight, lows around 70, perhaps some fog.  Partly cloudy on Tuesday with highs in the upper 80s and a 50 POP for showers/storms. On Wednesday it should be mostly sunny with no chance of rain, highs in the mid 80s, lows in the mid-upper 60s. Thursday should see more clouds than sun, with highs in the mid 80s and a 30 POP for showers/storms. On Friday and Saturday we should have some nice days, highs in the low-mid 80s, lows in the mid 60s, with virtually no chances for rain. Sunday looks to bring back moisture and a bit warmer temps, but still in the 80s, and a 40 POP for showers/storms.

Monday's precipitation: 0.66" (LR) 1.58" (VP2) 12.80" Max Rain Rate (MRR) @ 2221  (0.54" recorded between 2230 and 2235) (Using VP2 for total daily rainfall)  
July precipitation: 3.98"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 29.82"

Other data for Monday is as follows: 

High temp  86.1° VP2 (1704)(RS 87.1°) 
Low temp  71.6° VP2 (2352)(RS 71.8°)   
Obs temp  71.6° VP2 (RS 71.8°)  
Peak wind gust 11 S (2209)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (0525) to a low of 66% (1642)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 76° to 70°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.93"(1003) to 29.76"(2121)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 71.6°(VP2), Cloudy/light rain, Winds 1 WSW, Pressure at 29.77" and steady, humidity 95%, dew pt of 70°.

Currently at 0254 EDT I have a temp of 71.5°(VP2), (71.4° RS) ,Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.74" and falling, humidity 97%, dew point of 71°.   0.03" of rain has fallen in my VP2 gauge since midnight.  

Radar is showing our intense showers with a few rumbles of thunder is in eastern PA/Philadelphia about to move into southern New Jersey.

Kevin the "uncomfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Tuesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Tuesday continued the slight cooldown we have been having the past few days, with high temps now in the mid 80s, but lows still above 70 as dew points have been slow to drop, but over the next few days we should see them drop more, further down into the 60s at least. We had some light rain showers overnight Monday which makes up our Tuesday precipitation amount. Overnight Tuesday night we should stay cloudy and reach a low around 70 by sunrise. Tomorrow and tomorrow night we will have isolated shower chances (20 POP) with highs in the mid 80s, lows in the mid-upper 60s. On Thursday sunny skies with a high temp in the upper 70s. I will believe it when I see it! Cloudy Thursday night with lows in the low-mid 60s. Thereafter partly to mostly sunny skies on Friday and Saturday with highs in the low 80s, then cloudy on Saturday night into Sunday with a 40 POP for showers/storms. Thereafter it appears we should be mostly sunny and stay in the low-mid 80s with lows somewhere in the more comfortable 60s.

Tuesday's precipitation: 0.06" (LR) 0.06" (VP2) 0.58" Max Rain Rate (MRR) @ 0445   
July precipitation: 4.04"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 29.88"

Other data for Tuesday is as follows:

High temp  84.5° VP2 (1831)(RS 85.6°)
Low temp  71.0° VP2 (0104)(RS 71.1°)  
Obs temp  73.1° VP2 (RS 73.1°) 
Peak wind gust 11 N (1427) 
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (0704) to a low of 63% (1748)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 74° to 69°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.77"(0003) to 29.65"(1812)    

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 73.1°(VP2), Cloudy, Winds Calm,

Pressure at 29.72" and rising, humidity 89%, dew pt of 70°.

Currently at 0322 EDT I have a temp of 72.6°(VP2), (72.9° RS) , Cloudy, Winds Calm,

Pressure at 29.71" and steady, humidity 84%, dew point of 68°.

Radar earlier was showing big storms coming down from OH and western PA moving slowly into our area, but they just dried up over the mountains to my west. They looked like a sure bet but all they did was keep the cloud cover around for the overnight as we continue to slowly dry out.

Kevin the "uncomfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Wednesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Wednesday kept the "cooldown" pattern going, and the dew point started going down significantly, falling gradually through the day through the 60s. Cumulus skies early cleared out and we had some nice clear blue skies most of the afternoon. An attempt at the installation of a new VP2 display eventually failed due to "incompatible data logger" issues. The display works fine, it just can't download the collected data into my computer for archival and analysis purposes. Stay tuned on the hopefully successful "firmware updates" solution upcoming.  Overnight tonight we should fall through the 60s temp wise, and continue to drop through the 50s now with the dew point. Thursday should be sunny with a pleasant high temp of 80. Thursday night we should be clear with lows around 60. Friday should see more sunny weather with highs in the mid 80s, lows in the 60s. Saturday should be partly cloudy, highs in the mid 80s with increasing dew points and a 30 POP for showers/storms during the day and in the evening. Sunday should see mostly cloudy skies with a 50 POP for showers/storms as another front passes through our area, highs in the mid 80s, lows in the upper 60s. The next workweek should be sunny with high temps in the mid-upper 80s and lows somewhere in the 60s. 

Wednesday's precipitation: 0    

Other data for Wednesday is as follows: 

High temp  81.5° VP2 (1827)(RS M°) 
Low temp  68.6° VP2 (0615)(RS M°)   
Obs temp  69.6° VP2 (RS 69.9°)  
Peak wind gust 9 N (1740)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 92% (0620) to a low of 54% (1822)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 70° to 60°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.93"(2324) to 29.69"(0155)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 69.6°(VP2), Clear, Winds 3 NNE, Pressure at 29.92" and steady, humidity 71%, dew pt of 60°.

Currently at 0227 EDT I have a temp of 67.0°(VP2), (67.3° RS) , Clear, Winds 5 NNW (direction and speed variable at this time), Pressure at 29.94" and steady, humidity 72%, dew point of 58°.

Radar is still showing showers over SE VA and much of NC but they are slowly moving south and away from our area.

Kevin the  "getting more comfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Thursday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Thursday, July 25, 2013

Thursday probably was the final day of our continuously cooler temp streak, at least on the maximum side of things, as we had our first sub-80 max day since July 12 when we had an all day rain that kept the max down to 73.4° on that day. Lots of heat between now and then!  I didn't quite make it into the 50s for a min this morning, but I could not have gotten any closer with my exact 60.0 reading. And we had our first sub-60 dew point of the month (53°), which was our first one since June 21!  Tonight we have a better shot to get into the 50s, as it is about 4 degrees colder than this time last night. (67 vs 63).  Upper 50s should be reached by sunrise. Friday should see us get back up into the low 80s, with sunny skies. Lows Friday night in the low 60s. Then getting a bit more humid on Saturday, with temps still moderate in the low-mid 80s, and a 40 POP for afternoon and evening showers/thundershowers.  There is a 70 POP for showers/storms on Sunday with highs in the low-mid 80s under mostly cloudy skies, with a chance at some heavy rainfall.  Monday and Tuesday should clear up with highs in the mid-upper 80s and lows in the 60s. Then a 30-40 POP for showers and storms midweek to finish out July a bit wet and warm, but not overly so with highs in the low-mid 80s. . 

High temp  76.5° VP2 (1623)(RS 77.5°) 
Low temp  60.0° VP2 (0750)(RS 60.4°)   
Obs temp  65.1° VP2 (RS 65.5°)  
Peak wind gust 10 NE (0255)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 89% (2346) to a low of 53% (1610)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 63° to 53°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.05"(2355) to 29.92"(0003)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 65.1°(VP2), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.05" and steady, humidity 89%, dew pt of 62°.

Currently at 0238 EDT I have a temp of 63.5°(VP2), (63.7° RS) , Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.05" and steady, humidity 93%, dew point of 62°.

Radar is showing showers offshore from the NJ coast up through most of New England. Also showers are falling over most of the UP of Michigan and in sections of the more western sections of the midwest (IA, MN)

Kevin the  "getting more comfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Friday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Friday, July 26, 2013

Indeed we did start warming up on Friday, but it wasn't too bad a day, and it certainly didn't approach 90° thank goodness. But the dew point did start creeping up and that sky got a bit more of a hazy look to it, along with some cumulus buildups in the afternoon. Clouds overnight Thursday kept temps from dropping further after 3 AM, so I never made it into the 50s for lows during this "not as warm" mini-streak this week. Tonight, Friday night, we are holding in the mid 60s with the dew point creeping up into the mid 60s also, yielding a bit of a muggy evening. Over the weekend temps should remain in the mid 80s on Saturday and low 80s on Sunday, lows in the 60s with more clouds than sun, particularly on Sunday, with a 50 POP for showers/storms on Saturday during the day and a 40 POP Saturday evening, then a 70 POP on Sunday with possibly flooding rains at times, then a 50 POP on Sunday evening. Sunny and pleasant on Monday, high around 80 as the cold front finally passes through for this short 1 day window. Tuesday and Wednesday warms back up a bit into the mid 80s with a 20-30 POP for showers. Thereafter late in the week as we head into August we should be sunny and seasonable, with highs in the mid 80s and lows in the mid 60s. 

Friday's precipitation: 0    

High temp  81.9° VP2 (1837)(RS 82.8°) 
Low temp  61.1° VP2 (0614)(RS 61.3°)   
Obs temp  66.7° VP2 (RS 67.1°)  
Peak wind gust 6 N (1104)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (0749) to a low of 49% (1753)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 65° to 59°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.11"(0931) to 30.03"(1823)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 66.7°(VP2), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.06" and steady, humidity 85%, dew pt of 62°.

Currently at 0308 EDT I have a temp of 66.8°(VP2), (66.9° RS), Partly Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.03" and falling, humidity 90%, dew point of 64°.

Radar is showing a light line of showers cutting through parts of IN, OH and KY at this time, headed slowly this way.

Kevin the  "getting less comfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Saturday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday, July 27, 2013

Saturday started out warm, humid and somewhat sunny in the AM, but deteriorated in the afternoon with clouds and showers off and on through the evening. The showers started just as I was  leaving to attend the semi-annual Herb Close weather party at his house 45 miles to my northeast in Manchester MD, very near the PA border. We had good attendance despite the wet weather, and had a neat presentation by noted hurricane author, Rick Schwartz on mid-Atlantic hurricanes - we are long overdue for getting one or more storms this season... Not a great day for a cookout, but we still managed to have grilled hamburgers and hot dogs, but ate inside dry and relatively comfortable. On the way home after midnight (I was the last one to leave) I went through more scattered showers. Damp overnight with more light showers till sunrise, with temps in the upper 60s after high temps Saturday in the low 80s. Sunday will have more of the same, with a 70 POP for showers and storms, particularly in the afternoon. A 50 POP continues this pattern on Sunday evening, but should be winding down during the overnight hours. We should have a pretty nice Monday, my birthday by the way, with sunny skies and highs in the low 80s, lows in the lower 60s. Mid 80s should be the temps the rest of the week, with sunny skies and lows in the upper 60s, save for partly to mostly cloudy skies and a 40 POP for showers/ storms on Wednesday into Thursday as we head into August.

Saturday's precipitation: 1.14" (LR) 0.35" (VP2) 1.00" Max Rain Rate (MRR) @ 1432                                                          (when I was leaving for the weather party).    
July precipitation: 5.18"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 31.02"
(Not sure why my VP2 only had 0.35- in daylight hours I will have to check for possible blockage)

High temp  82.4° VP2 (1336)(RS M °) 
Low temp  65.4° VP2 (0122)(RS M °)   
Obs temp  70.3° VP2 (RS M °)  
Peak wind gust 11 E (1134)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (2041) to a low of 68% (1240)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 73° to 62°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.06"(0000) to 29.94"(1849)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 70.3°(VP2), Cloudy, Winds 3 SW, Pressure at 29.95" and falling, humidity 96%, dew pt of 69°.

Currently at 0526 EDT I have a temp of 68.1°(VP2), (68.4° RS), Cloudy, Winds 1 ENE, Pressure at 29.91" and falling, humidity 97%, dew point of 67°. VP2 rainfall since midnight: 0.06"

Radar is showing scattered light showers over the region right now, with more showers out in the mountains of WV and western MD and PA, which will move in gradually on Sunday. Others will be developing in the juicy air butting up against an advancing cold front coming in from the Midwest.

Kevin the  "uncomfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Sunday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Sunday, July 28, 2013

Sunday started out damp, mild, and cloudy,with occasional light precipitation overnight that is not totally resolved as to the amount, due to clogging of my VP2 gauge (It is now unclogged). It ties in with my LR for a variety of reasons too complicated to go into here. So I may be revising these daily precipitation statistics for both Saturday and Sunday slightly sometime this week.  Sunday was a bit cooler, partly cloudy, still humid but dry most of the day. It should be clearing out tonight though there still is a 50 POP for showers/storms and right now a severe t-storm warning is out for a few selected counties in central VA for a storm headed East that will be well south of my area. Monday should be sunny with highs in the low 80s and lows in the upper 50s, perfect weather for my birthday. Tuesday should warm a bit into the mid 80s, then start to cloud up in the evening as our next system approaches our area. Lows in the upper 60s, which should be the standard for all nights this coming week. Wednesday there is a 40 POP for showers under partly cloudy skies and a high in the low 80s, with a 40 POP for showers/storms on Thursday as well with low 80s once again for high temps. The rest of the week should be sunny and quite warm, with highs in the mid-upper 80s.

Sunday's precipitation: 0.07" (LR) 0.12" (VP2 - not a valid reading, clogged opening)    
July precipitation: 5.25"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 31.09"

High temp  79.9° VP2 (1618)(RS 80.8°) 
Low temp  68.1° VP2 (0517)(RS 68.4°)   
Obs temp  69.6° VP2 (RS 70.2°)  
Peak wind gust 7 N (2230)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (0613) to a low of 68% (1613)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 73° to 66°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.02"(2350) to 29.90"(1913)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 69.6°(VP2), Cloudy, Winds 1 N, Pressure at 30.00" and rising, humidity 90%, dew pt of 67°.

Currently at 0216 EDT I have a temp of 64.9°(VP2), (65.3° RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.01" and steady, humidity 94%, dew point of 63°.

Radar is showing that isolated storm over central VA, no other real action in the northern part of the region otherwise. Scattered showers can be found over SE VA, and also up in eastern PA, much of NJ, and into NY and SW New England at this time.

Kevin the  "getting more comfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Monday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Monday, July 29,2013

Monday was mostly sunny, remaining below normal for temps, but with a bit in the rain gauge (0.03") which occurred at some time in the day, not sure when. With it being my 63rd birthday on Monday, I was a bit busy and pre-occupied celebrating my birthday and missed when it could have happened, esp. since for some reason my VP2 didn't record any rain, but neighboring stations in WXBug most all recorded something. Most of the week ahead should see high temps in the low-mid 80s and lows in the 60-65 range. Sunny Tuesday, partly cloudy Wednesday with a 40 POP for showers/storms, then a 60 POP for showers/storms on Thursday.. Drying out Friday with sunny skies,then partly cloudy over the weekend with a 30 POP for showers/storm,especially on Sunday.

Monday's precipitation: 0.03" (LR) 0.00" (VP2 - not sure why nothing was recorded)    
July precipitation: 5.28"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 31.12"

High temp  79.3° VP2 (1837)(RS 79.7°) 
Low temp  61.0° VP2 (0638)(RS 61.2°)   
Obs temp  64.3° VP2 (RS 64.8°)  
Peak wind gust 12 N (0946)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0814) to a low of 46% (1340)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 67° to 53°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.17"(2351) to 30.00"(0136)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 64.3°(VP2), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.17" and rising, humidity 85%, dew pt of 60°.

Currently at 0230 EDT I have a temp of 61.8°(VP2), (61.9° RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.17" and steady, humidity 90%, dew point of 59°.

Radar is pretty clear, save for some offshore showers out in the mid-Atlantic and some scattered showers just popping up in parts of the western areas of the Midwest (IA down to AR)

Kevin the  "getting more comfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Tuesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Tuesday was sunny, still pleasant around 80° but with dew points starting to creep up slowly. Finally did make a sub-60 min this morning (barely) so will have one such day for this month of July, which is wrapping up today. Not going to make it below 60 by this morning, dew points over 60 now and temps are still in the mid 60s so low 60s are the best I will do by sunrise or shortly thereafter. And clouds are on the increase too, which helps inhibit the fall of the temperature. Wednesday should be partly to mostly cloudy, highs in the low 80s with a 40 POP for showers/storms in the afternoon and carrying into the evening, when we should increase our chances to a 60 POP. Heading into August, Thursday should see mostly cloudy skies and a 60 POP for showers/storms all day into the evening. Lows mostly in the 60s. Friday and Saturday should clear off with highs in the low-mid 80s, lows in the mid 60s. Sunday partly cloudy, highs in the low 80s with a 30 POP for showers. Next week should start out dry and sunny, with highs in the low 80s, lows in the mid 60s.

Tuesday's precipitation: 0
July precipitation: 5.28"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 31.12"

High temp  80.1° VP2 (1838)(RS M°) 
Low temp  58.7° VP2 (0631)(RS M°)   
Obs temp  66.5° VP2 (RS 66.7°)  
Peak wind gust 7 NW (1147)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 95% (0723) to a low of 52% (1527)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 67° to 52°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.24"(0851) to 30.15"(1840)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 66.5° (VP2), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.16" and steady, humidity 89%, dew pt of 63°.

Currently at 0234 EDT I have a temp of 64.5°(VP2), (64.8° RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.16" and steady, humidity 93%, dew point of 63°.

Radar is pretty clear in the immediate 4 state area, but showers are widespread to the west in most of KY, extending down into central TN, and extreme SW VA at this time. Very light, widely scattered showers can also be found in parts of WI and IL.

Kevin the  "getting less comfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Wednesday morning

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Wednesday finished out July with a cooler than normal day (esp the max temp) with increasing clouds and some light shower activity in the evening. We actually finished out July with a pleasant, cool spell, with the last 90 day of the month well back on the 20th. A wetter than normal month is already known, not sure how my temps will work out yet. August is going to start out wet and cool, as Thursday will be a cloudy day with periods of rain showers and possible thunderstorms throughout the day into the evening hours, with possible flooding downpours at times scattered through our region. An 80 POP for rain during the day on Thursday, dropping to a 50 POP Thursday evening as the cold front gradually passes on through our area. Friday and Saturday should be sunny with highs in the mid 80s, lows in the mid 60s. Saturday night should see clouds increase with a 40 POP for showers/storms as another frontal system passes on through. Sunday and Monday should be a bit cooler and dry, with sunny low 80s to upper 70s on both days. Lows in the 60s, perhaps upper 50s on Monday.  Tuesday and Wednesday might see temps rebound a bit into the mid 80s with some chances of showers (30-40 POP) as it stands right now, highs in the mid 80s and lows still in the 60s.

Wednesday's precipitation: 0.02" (LR) 0.02" (VP2)
July precipitation: 5.30"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 31.14"

High temp  78.3° VP2 (1709)(RS 78.8°) 
Low temp  63.5° VP2 (0449)(RS 63.9°)   
Obs temp  69.7° VP2 (RS 67.8°)  
Peak wind gust 8 E (1658)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 95% (0615) to a low of 63% (1710)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 69° to 62°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.16"(0105) to 30.02"(2007)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 69.7° (VP2), Cloudy, Winds 4 E, Pressure at 30.02" and steady, humidity 94%, dew pt of 68°.

Currently at 0248 EDT I have a temp of 68.8°(VP2), (68.7° RS), Cloudy/light rain, Winds 2 E, Pressure at 29.97" and falling, humidity 96%, dew point of 68°. VP2 precip since midnight 0.04"

Radar is showing scattered showers in the area, streaming up from our SW over VA and NC. Plenty to come over the next 18 hours or so.

Kevin the  "less comfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Thursday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Thursday, August 1, 2013

Thursday started out August with another below normal temperature day with early morning rain showers and clouds gradually giving way to partly cloudy skies with some sun, and a decreasing threat in the afternoon and evening of the showers that had been quite prominent in the forecast for the day. All my rainfall for the day fell overnight. Dew points remained high all day, though at least they did drop below 70. We should be partly cloudy the rest of the night with lows dropping into the mid 60s. Sunny with highs in the mid 80s, then clouding up some Friday night with lows in the mid 60s. Saturday and Saturday night we have clouds more than sun, highs in the low-mid 80s with a 50 POP for showers/storms during the day and a 60 POP on Saturday evening. Sunny and a bit cooler on Sunday and Monday, with highs around 80 and lows in the low-mid 60s. Tuesday and Wednesday looks to be somewhat showery once again, highs in the mid 80s, lows in the mid 60s. Then clearing off towards the end of the week and remaining seasonably warm with highs in the mid 80s and lows in the mid 60s.

Thursday's precipitation: 0.14" (LR) 0.11" (VP2) Max rain rate 0.13" @ 0305
July precipitation: 5.30"
August precipitation: 0.14"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 31.28"

High temp  81.7° VP2 (1631)(RS M° - lost signal) 
Low temp  67.5° VP2 (0408)(RS M°)   
Obs temp  69.9° VP2 (RS M°)  
Peak wind gust 6 E (0244)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (0811) to a low of 70% (1526)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 72° to 66°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.02"(0000) to 29.81"(1647)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 69.9° (VP2), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.87" and steady, humidity 92%, dew pt of 68°.

Currently at 0224 EDT I have a temp of 67.8°(VP2), (M° RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.87" and steady, humidity 93%, dew point of 66°.

Radar is showing light shower activity well offshore and retreating to the NE over parts of New England at this time.

Kevin the "still less comfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Friday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Friday, August 2, 2013

Friday wasn't too bad a day, a tad warmer into the low 80s but for this time of year, that is tolerable somewhat with the partly cloudy skies. Tonight it has clouded over a bit more, with temps dropping into the mid 60s and the dew point temp just about the same.  Saturday looks to be more cloudy than sunny, with increasing chances of showers/storms as the day progresses (60 POP) with highs in the low 80s. Saturday evening will find the showers still around (60 POP continuing) but they should be cleared from the immediate area before midnight with lows in the 60s. Sunday through Tuesday should find sunny skies and cooler, drier conditions, with highs around 80 to the low 80s and lows in the upper 50s to low 60s. Late Tuesday clouds and moisture should start to return to the area, with a 30-40 POP for showers storms overnight Tuesday through Thursday, with high temps in the low 80s-mid 80s and lows in the 60s.

August precipitation: 0.14"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 31.28"

High temp  82.8° VP2 (1640)(RS M° - still lost signal) 
Low temp  64.7° VP2 (0647)(RS M°)   
Obs temp  69.8° VP2 (RS M°)  
Peak wind gust 7 W (1052)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0805) to a low of 59% (1340)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 70° to 63°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.98"(1237) to 29.87"(0000)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 69.8° (VP2), PCldy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.96" and steady, humidity 89%, dew pt of 67°.

Currently at 0458 EDT I have a temp of 66.6°(VP2), (M° RS), PCldy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.94" and steady, humidity 93%, dew point of 65°.

Radar is showing shower activity stretching on a rough east-west line through central OH and PA at this time, heading generally east but gradually dropping south also which will be our weather sometime on Saturday. light shower activity well offshore and retreating to the NE over parts of New England at this time.

Kevin the "still less comfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Saturday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday, August 3, 2013

Saturday was a cloudy, relatively cool day with occasional light showers in the afternoon and evening. Highs never got higher than the low-mid 70s under the occasionally rainy cloud cover. Tonight we have been gradually clearing out, with current partly cloudy skies and temps dropping into the low 60s. Sunday should see mostly sunny skies with lower dew points and temps in the low 80s. Sunday night should be a great sleeping night with the windows open- clear with lows in the mid 50s. Sunny and a high of around 80 on Monday, then some clouds start to come in Monday evening,keeping us from dropping into the 50s like Sunday night, with lows in the lower 60s. Tuesday through to the end of the week sees more clouds than sun,high temps in the low-mid 80s,and a 30 POP for rain on Tuesday, increasing to a 50 POP for most of the rest of the week. We should clear out over next weekend, with highs in the low 80s.

Saturday's precipitation: 0.32" (LR) 0.31" (VP2) 0.55" Max Rain Rate (MRR) @ 2003
August precipitation: 0.46"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 31.60"

High temp  73.7° VP2 (1158)(RS M° - still lost signal) 
Low temp  65.4° VP2 (2336)(RS M°)   
Obs temp  65.4° VP2 (RS M°)  
Peak wind gust 7 NW (1454)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (2356) to a low of 81% (1145)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 69° to 64°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.99"(1036) to 29.93"(1915)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 65.4° (VP2), Cldy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.95" and steady, humidity 97%, dew pt of 65°.

Currently at 0508 EDT I have a temp of 63.4°(VP2), (M° RS), PCldy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.94" and steady, humidity 97%, dew point of 63°.

Radar is showing shower activity we had most of Saturday moving south and east down to southern VA and NC, and offshore into the Atlantic. There is one lone small shower over Eastern OH that is entering central western PA at this time. Heading east, it won't be affecting our area.

Kevin the "getting more comfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Sunday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Sunday, August 4, 2013

Sunday was a beautiful day, sunny, with lower dew points, and high temps only reaching the upper 70s. Now this is what I would like to have every day of the summer, weather-wise. Tonight it is clear with temps falling through the 60s, just about down to 60 right now. By sunrise we should be down in the upper 50s. Monday should be a repeat of Sunday but less breezy, sunny with dew pts in the 50s and air temps around 80.  Monday night clouds should start to increase and not as cool, with lows in the mid 60s. Tuesday has a 70 POP for showers to develop in the afternoon, with highs in the low-mid 80s and lows in the mid-upper 60s. The rest of the week will be mostly cloudy, damp, temps in the low-mid 80s with a 50-60 POP for showers and storms each day through Friday. Sunny weather should return for the weekend.

Sunday's precipitation: 0

High temp  78.3° VP2 (1627)(RS M° - still lost signal) 
Low temp  62.1° VP2 (2357)(RS M°)   
Obs temp  62.1° VP2 (RS M°)  

Peak wind gust 15 NE (1625)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (0813) to a low of 45% (1646)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 65° to 55°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.04"(2350) to 29.92"(0357)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 62.1° (VP2), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.04" and rising, humidity 86%, dew pt of 58°.

Currently at 0224 EDT I have a temp of 60.2°(VP2), (M° RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.04" and steady, humidity 86%, dew point of 56°.

Radar is basically clear throughout the Eastern United States, north of Florida and east of the Mississippi River.

Kevin the "comfortable now" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off for early Monday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Monday, August 5, 2013

Monday was another beautiful day, sunny, low dew points most of the day, with high temps once again only reaching the upper 70s after awesome overnight low temps in the mid 50s. Alas, a warm front is now approaching, and the increasing high clouds visible before sunset (complete with observing a sun dog on the way home from the office) were the first heads up on this change for the worse that is going to dominate our area patterns most of this week. Clouds thicken overnight, and lows will fail to reach down into the 50s like last night unfortunately. There is even a 20 POP for a stray shower overnight. A 60 POP for showers on Tuesday and Tuesday night, then a 40 POP on Wednesday, with highs in the low 80s and lows in the 60s under cloudy skies. Thursday just a 30 POP for showers/storms with partly cloudy skies and highs in the mid 80s. As a cold front finally draws close enough on Friday, a 60 POP for showers/storms returns with highs in the low 80s under mostly cloudy skies and lows in the upper 60s. Over the weekend the sun should return with highs in the low 80s and lows in the low 60s. No big heat waves around with all these clouds and moisture around. At least that is a good aspect to this pattern.

Monday's precipitation: 0

High temp  77.8° VP2 (1623)(RS M° - still lost signal) 
Low temp  56.6° VP2 (0647)(RS M°)   
Obs temp  64.7° VP2 (RS M°)  
Peak wind gust 6 NW (1232)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 95% (0755) to a low of 47% (1609)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 64° to 54°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.12"(0912) to 30.03"(1651)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 64.7° (VP2), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.04" and steady, humidity 87%, dew pt of 61°.

Currently at 0209 EDT I have a temp of 64.6°(VP2), (M° RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.03" and steady, humidity 90%, dew point of 62°.

Radar is showing spotty shower activity in central WV, sections of North Carolina and western TN at this time. Roughly headed this way, mosing on along slowly.

Kevin the "growing less comfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off for early Tuesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Tuesday turned the corner for the rest of the week, as clouds came in overnight along with rain towards dawn that wound up being just about all my day's rain, all but .01" fell before 0900. Stayed mostly cloudy all during the day, and dew points crept up into the 60s but with air temps staying in the low-mid 70s it wasn't too bad a day. Tonight temps are holding in the upper 60s with continued clouds. Mostly cloudy skies should hold through Friday, highs in the low 80s and lows in the upper 60s. A 50 POP for showers/storms on both Wednesday and Friday (with the front) and a 30 POP on Thursday. The weekend looks to be partly cloudy on Saturday and mostly sunny on Sunday, with highs in the low-mid 80s and lows in the 60s. More showers possible starting with the new week, but we shall see how that develops over the next few days.

Tuesday's precipitation: 0.23" (LR) 0.18" (VP2) 0.83" Max Rain Rate @ 0441
August precipitation: 0.69"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 31.83"

High temp  73.9° VP2 (1748)(RS M° - still lost signal) 
Low temp  63.9° VP2 (0533)(RS M°)   
Obs temp  69.2° VP2 (RS M°)  
Peak wind gust 7 N (0447)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0809) to a low of 81% (1705)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 69° to 61°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.08"(2341) to 30.02"(0400)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 69.2° (VP2), Cloudy, Winds 5 E, Pressure at 30.08" and steady, humidity 91%, dew pt of 66°.

Currently at 0251 EDT I have a temp of 69.2°(VP2), (M° RS), Cloudy, Winds 1 E, Pressure at 30.07" and steady, humidity 92%, dew point of 67°.

Radar is showing a few light showers scattered around the state of Virginia right now. They might move in to my backyard overnight, and then again more likely they won't.

Kevin the "less comfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off for early Wednesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Wednesday took awhile to rev up, remaining cloudy and damp but no rain till about 1900 in the evening. A brief shower fell then, a brief heavy downpour. Later on in the evening, a few claps of thunder and another brief downpour. Areas just to my north and northeast in Frederick, Carroll and Baltimore County got most all of the action, with several inches of rain and a peak wind gust of 57 MPH in NE Carroll County at my friend Bobby's weather station at Millers 4NE. Around 3 inches of rain too. The storms are slowly pulling out to the E and NE now. Similar story tomorrow, lots of clouds and a 50 POP for showers and possible tshowers at times. A 60 POP for rain on Thrusday night, then a 50 POP on Friday and Friday night. A 30 POP for showers/storms over the weekend, all the while holding in the low-mid 80s for high temps and upper 60s for lows.

Wednesday's precipitation: 0.40" (LR) 0.26" (VP2) 1.69" Max Rain Rate @ 1905
August precipitation: 1.09"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 32.23"

High temp 81.4° VP2 (1559)(RS M° - still lost signal) 
Low temp  69.0° VP2 (0142)(RS M°)   
Obs temp  73.3° VP2 (RS M°)  
Peak wind gust 11 E (1441)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (2157) to a low of 75% (1541)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 75° to 66°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.08"(0013) to 29.99"(1846)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 73.3° (VP2), Cloudy/light rain, Winds 5 NNE, Pressure at 30.04" and rising, humidity 96%, dew pt of 72°.

Currently at 0248 EDT I have a temp of 70.6°(VP2), (M° RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.01" and steady, humidity 97%, dew point of 70°.  0.02" of rain since midnight recorded on the VP2 gauge. 

Radar is showing the heavy shower/storm action that fell just to my north on Wednesday evening is slowly moving off to the E and NE through NE MD and Delaware at this time. There looks to be little to no action here the rest of the night.

Kevin the "less comfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off for early Thursday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Thursday, August 8, 2013

Thursday kept up with the clouds and humidity, but the rain didn't find its way into my rain gauge for most of the day, only falling during the first few minutes of the day right after yesterday's midnight observations. You will note that my low temp for the day was recorded right around 2 AM, thereafter it warmed up the rest of the night and it was quite uncomfortable this morning on the way into work. Staying mild in the mid 70s early this Friday morning. Probably won't get any lower than the low 70s overnight. Partly cloudy on Friday, warmer with predicted high temps into the upper 80s, with a 70 POP for mainly afternoon and evening showers/storms. (evening POP down to 60 however). Lows once again on Friday night should remain in the 70s. Only a 30 POP for showers/storms over the weekend, with upper 80s on Saturday and lower 80s on Sunday as the front makes its way (finally) through the area. In the new week there is still a 30 POP for showers/storms during the day, highs mostly in the low 80s, lows in the 60s.

Thursday's precipitation: 0.02"(LR) 0.02"(VP2) 
August precipitation: 1.11"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 32.25"

High temp 82.6° VP2 (1619)(RS M° - still lost signal) 
Low temp  70.4° VP2 (0204)(RS M°)   
Obs temp  76.5° VP2 (RS M°)  
Peak wind gust 12 SE (1216)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (0519) to a low of 74% (1628)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 75° to 69°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.04"(0104) to 29.97"(2350)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 76.5° (VP2), Cloudy, Winds 4 E, Pressure at 29.97" and falling, humidity 93%, dew pt of 74°.

Currently at 0218 EDT I have a temp of 75.7°(VP2), (M° RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.95" and falling, humidity 94%, dew point of 74°.

Radar is showing scattered shower activity through parts of WV and PA, headed NE which will miss our area. Larger clusters of showers are appearing in parts of central NY state and also out in southern OH and IN at this time, headed east gradually, but probably will get caught up in that SW to NE flow that keeps a lot of the showers away from my rain gauge for the most part.

Kevin the "less comfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off for early Friday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Friday, August 9, 2013

Friday kept up with the humidity but we had more sun than we have been having this week, thus we made it up into the mid 80s for high temps, 85.6° to be precise, and that is the warmest max I have had all month, and since 86.1° was reached back on July 22. It was a particularly warm, muggy overnight, but no rain, I believe my light rain on Friday fell in an late afternoon brief shower. Many other showers in the area, with southern Maryland (sections of St Marys County) getting hammered this evening in particular.  Overnight we won't get down lower than the low 70s once again, with our usual 70° dew points, but only a 20 POP for showers, which will extend into the rest of Saturday morning, with partly cloudy skies and highs in the low 80s. Partly cloudy skies on Sunday, no real chance of rain, highs in the mid 80s, lows in the mid 60s. On Monday clouds should be a bit on the increase, highs in the low 80s with a 30 POP for showers/storms during the day, increasing to a 40 POP in the evening. Tuesday looks to be quite cloudy, with a 70 POP for showers/storms, as another cold front tries to push through with highs around 80.  The thinking seems to be right now that this front will push through better than recent attempts, as sun with high temps in the upper 70s and lows in the upper 50s is predicted from Wednesday through Friday. We shall see how that develops and holds up hopefully.

Friday's precipitation: 0.04"(LR) 0.01"(VP2) 
August precipitation: 1.15"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 32.29"

High temp 85.6° VP2 (1411)(RS M° - still lost signal) 
Low temp  74.5° VP2 (0632)(RS M°)   
Obs temp  76.5° VP2 (RS M°)  
Peak wind gust 9 W (1529)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 95% (0620) to a low of 72% (1404)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 79° to 71°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.98"(0002) to 29.85"(1525)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 76.5° (VP2), Cloudy, Winds 2 W, Pressure at 29.96" and rising, humidity 84%, dew pt of 71°.

Currently at 0508 EDT I have a temp of 73.6°(VP2), (73.8° RS - display has returned - YEAH!!), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.99" and rising, humidity 88%, dew point of 70°.

Radar is showing scattered shower activity through parts of central/southern WV and parts of KY, but appears to be headed E but would wound up south of my immediate area, and just hit southern sections of the Metro DC area over the next several hours.

Kevin the "uncomfortable, damp" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off for early Saturday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday, August 10, 2013

Saturday featured partly cloudy skies, slightly cooler temps than Friday, and a gradual drop in the dew point early that rose as we advanced into the evening hours. Our cold front slowly sunk south, but was just south, and my friends south of me in southern Maryland and parts of Virginia were still "in the soup" so to speak with clouds and scattered showers and higher dew points at or over 70. Tonight it has been cloudy and damp once again, with temps dropping only into the upper 60s so far, a few hours before sunrise.  Sunday should be partly to mostly cloudy, with a 20 POP for isolated/scattered showers, probably once again mostly to my south, also into the evening. Highs in the low-mid 80s, lows in the upper 60s. Monday should be dry and the warmest day of the week, with high temps in the upper 80s to around 90 under partly cloudy skies. Clouding up again Monday night with a 40 POP for showers/storms and lows around 70, with a 70 POP for showers/storms on Tuesday as a stronger front pushes through our area, with highs temps in the mid 80s. We should start clearing out sometime Tuesday night, with partly cloudy skies and lows in the 60s. Wednesday through Friday should be beautiful days with sunny to partly cloudy skies with highs in the 70s and lows in the 50s, and virtually no chance for rain.

Saturday's precipitation: 0

High temp 80.9° VP2 (1629)(RS 81.7°)
Low temp  68.8° VP2 (2357)(RS 68.9°)   (Morning min temp 72.5 @ 0655)
Obs temp  68.9° VP2 (RS 68.9°)  
Peak wind gust 5 NE (1405)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 90% (0640) to a low of 54% (1549)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 72° to 61°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.09"(2347) to 29.95"(0058)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 68.9° (VP2), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.09" and steady, humidity 89%, dew pt of 66°.

Currently at 0505 EDT I have a temp of 68.6°(VP2), (68.7° RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.08" and steady, humidity 94%, dew point of 67°.

Radar is showing a few light, scattered shower activity through a small part of central WV and SW/Central VA.  It appears to be headed E but would miss my area within the next few hours, if it manages to hold together.

Kevin the "uncomfortable, damp" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off for early Sunday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Sunday, August 11, 2013

Sunday featured more partly cloudy skies, slightly warmer temps than Saturday, and a bit higher dew points. The threat of showers diminished as the day went on and the radar showed activity either drying up or going elsewhere. There will be partly cloudy skies overnight, with temps dropping down to about 70, which is where the dew point is right around now. A 30 POP for showers on Monday with partly cloudy skies and high temps in the mid-upper 80s. Monday night should be mostly cloudy, a 40 POP for showers/storms and lows around 70. On Tuesday there should be a 50 POP for showers/storms under mostly cloudy skies with high temps in the low 80s. A 50 POP should continue into Tuesday evening, with lows in the upper 60s under gradually improvins skies late. On Wednesday through Friday we are still holding to a nice period of weather, with sunny to partly cloudy skies and high temps in the mid-upper 70s and lows in the middle-upper 50s. Warmer conditions expected by the weekend, but still no major heat waves expected.

Sunday's precipitation: 0

High temp 83.0° VP2 (1547)(RS 83.8°) 
Low temp  68.3° VP2 (0205)(RS 68.4°)   
Obs temp  73.9° VP2 (RS 73.9°)  
Peak wind gust 8 E (1505)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 95% (0729) to a low of 55% (1608)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 71° to 65°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.12"(1027) to 30.01"(1903)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 73.9° (VP2), PCloudy, Winds 1 ENE, Pressure at 30.03" and steady, humidity 87%, dew pt of 70°.

Currently at 0238 EDT I have a temp of 72.4°(VP2), (72.5° RS), PCloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.02" and steady, humidity 90%, dew point of 69°.

Radar is showing a few light, widely scattered shower activity in parts of PA, heading east so that activity will miss my immediate area to my north.

Kevin the "uncomfortable, damp" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off for early Monday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Monday, August 12, 2013

Monday started out damp and somewhat cloudy, then became partly cloudy in the afternoon with some sun, dew points around 70.  Temps just to my south warmed to around 90, but I managed to hold around 85. Clouds have increased in the evening, as showers started to move in closer to our immediate region. We should start getting showers overnight (increased to an 80 POP over the past few hours), as they intensify and expand in coverage, ahead of a stronger cold front that will hopefully bring significantly cooler and drier air later in the week, from Wednesday through Friday - high temps in the upper 70s, lows in the upper 50s and dew points in the 40s maybe but at least into the 50s.  Anyway, for tomorrow, we may have some heavy showers and possible storms, esp. in the morning. A flash flood watch has been posted for our area through most of tomorrow. A 90 POP for showers/ storms during the day on Tuesday, with a 50 POP for left over showers Tuesday evening with late clearing overnight.  Then we should have 3 straight days of really nice weather that should dry us out and cool us off. The weekend should start out sunny and pleasant, but with slowly deteriorating conditions as the weekend draws to a close and we enter the new week.

Monday's precipitation: 0

High temp 84.7° VP2 (1547)(RS 85.3°) 
Low temp  70.1° VP2 (0553)(RS 70.0°)   
Obs temp  75.4° VP2 (RS 75.6°)  

Peak wind gust 7 N (1034)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (0724) to a low of 58% (1623)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 73° to 68°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.04"(0101) to 29.91"(2352)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 75.4° (VP2), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.91" and falling, humidity 88%, dew pt of 72°.

Currently at 0227 EDT I have a temp of 74.3°(VP2), (74.1° RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.85" and falling, humidity 92%, dew point of 72°.

Radar is showing showers in northern MD that blew northward out of VA, but somehow failed to give me anything measurable, with additional showers over parts of nearby VA, once again moving northward. I don't see this predicted heavy development of activity forming as yet, but it is supposed to pop sometime overnight.

Kevin the "uncomfortable, damp" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off for early Tuesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Tuesday started out damp, cloudy and finally with light rain from roughly 0630 to about 0900 EDT, then partial clearing mid-day into the afternoon, till clouds returned with the frontal passage in the early evening, with a developing line of showers/storms that were just starting to get going when they passed my station around 1915 EDT. Had 0.09" in that five minute period between 1915-1920. I didn't observe any thunder, just brief heavy rain as I was coming home from the office and driving through the downpour within a mile from home. Later on, my weather radio went off and a severe thunderstorm warning was issued for this storm that had grown significantly after leaving my area, and hit south of me in Washington DC and surroundings over the next hour or so. The mid-late evening and the early morning hours of Wednesday have had slow partial clearing, and slow dropping of air and dew point temps, just about to drop into the lovely 50s for dew points.  We might make it into the upper 50s (air temp) by sunrise Wednesday. Wednesday should be sunny to partly cloudy with high temps in the upper 70s and comfortable dew points, then down into the mid-upper 50s overnight, then in the upper 70s to around 80 on Friday-Saturday, with sunny to partly cloudy skies. From Sunday to Wednesday it looks like more clouds than sun, high temps in the low 80s, and a 30 POP for showers/storms on Monday. Lows should mostly be between 60-65.

Tuesday's precipitation: 0.31" (LR) 0.24" (VP2) 8.23" Max Rain Rate @ 1915 
August precipitation: 1.46"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 32.60"

High temp 82.6° VP2 (1740)(RS 83.1°) 
Low temp  68.6° VP2 (2358)(RS 69.3°)   
Obs temp  68.6° VP2 (RS 69.3°)  
Peak wind gust 14 N (1916)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (0805) to a low of 66% (1643)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 74° to 66°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.91"(0005) to 29.74"(1847)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 68.6° (VP2), PCloudy, Winds 1 NNW, Pressure at 29.83" and rising, humidity 92%, dew pt of 66°.

Currently at 0221 EDT I have a temp of 66.7°(VP2), (67.1° RS), PCloudy, Winds Calm,  Pressure at 29.87" and rising, humidity 78%, dew point of 60°.

Radar is showing our earlier showers moved off to the Eastern Shore of MD and DE, southern NJ and a bit of SE VA, and offshore - moving E and NE away from our area and gradually diminishing in intensity.

Kevin the "gradually getting more comfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off for early Wednesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Wednesday was a sunny, pleasant day that should be duplicated all summer for its ideal characteristics with highs in the low 70s and lows in the upper 50s. Already tonight the temps reached below 60 before midnight and are now headed down through the 50s under clear skies, no wind, and dew points in the low 50s. We should sink to the low 50s here at my station by sunrise, with many 40s for lows in selected areas to my north and west, particularly in deep valleys with good cold-air drainage. Withe the HIGH moving closer to us, baro pressure will continue to rise and winds will be less tomorrow,which will elevate the temps some, reaching the upper 70s for the high temp sometime in the afternoon. We should get back down into the low-mid 50s Thursday night, and then have another repeat performance on Friday with highs around 80. Friday night will not be as cool, lows in the low 60s with clouds coming in. We should have a cloudy Saturday with highs in the 80-85 range, more clouds Sat night with lows in the low 60s once again, then a 30 POP for showers on Sunday and clouds, highs in the low 80s. Continued similar conditions on Monday and Monday night, then some gradual warming on Tuesday/Wednesday with highs in the mid 80s and lows in the upper 60s. 

Wednesday's precipitation: 0 

High temp 72.7° VP2 (1739)(RS 73.0°) 
Low temp  57.8° VP2 (2359)(RS 58.1°)   
Obs temp  59.1° VP2 (RS 59.4°)  
Peak wind gust 15 NW (0948)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 92% (0000) to a low of 51% (1739)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 66° to 50°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.11"(2354) to 29.83"(0000)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 59.1° (VP2), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.11" and rising, humidity 85%, dew pt of 55°.

Currently at 0220 EDT I have a temp of 56.9°(VP2), (57.0° RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.13" and rising, humidity 89%, dew point of 54°.

Radar is showing a pretty clear screen throughout the Eastern US. Just see a bit of shower activity way south over the Carolinas at this time.

Kevin the "getting comfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off for early Thursday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Thursday, August 15, 2013

Thursday was another sunny, pleasant day - that makes two in a row with a great shot at a third one tomorrow. A bit warmer on the max, but cooler on the min, though my 53.4 still did not break or even tie the daily record low temp for August 15 (the record is still 52 set back in 1983, which is the same record for tomorrow by the way). Friday should see the max temp rise to around 80 after another night in the low-mid 50s tonight.  Clouds will start streaming in late afternoon/evening tomorrow and put a lid on the temps dropping below the low 60s. I lost my weatherbug feed a few mins ago and I can't seem to get it back for the moment. So I will have to be a bit more generalized and brief about the weather over the next few days. We should be cloudy over the weekend with highs in the 70s and lows in the 60s, with about a 20-30 POP for showers on Saturday and better chances on Sunday (around a 50 POP). It should get warmer into the mid 80s next week and become more humid, unfortunately.

High temp 75.1° VP2 (1831)(RS 76.5°) 
Low temp  53.4° VP2 (0655)(RS 53.6°) Please note: Wednesday low temp was 57.8° but the time that occurred was published incorrectly. The correct time that the 57.8° min occurred was at 0654.    
Obs temp  60.5° VP2 (RS 60.6°)  
Peak wind gust 8 NE (1449)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 94% (0756) to a low of 40% (1527)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 58° to 48°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.20"(0957) to 30.10"(1634)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 60.5° (VP2), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.16" and steady, humidity 86%, dew pt of 56°.

Currently at 0220 EDT I have a temp of 57.8°(VP2), (57.9° RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.16" and steady, humidity 90%, dew point of 55°.

Radar is showing a pretty clear screen throughout the Eastern US right now.

Kevin the "comfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early Friday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Friday, August 16 2013

Friday was another sunny, pleasant day - with more high clouds than the past few days, a slow indication of changes we will be under this coming weekend. Highs in the mid 70s, lows in the mid 50s - that is how I would like it all summer!  Overnight tonight we should see the mins by Saturday sunrise in the mid 40s once again, then rising on Saturday into the upper 70s under partly cloudy skies. Saturday night there is a 50 POP for rain, mainly after midnight. Lows should remain in the low 60s with the increase in clouds. Sunday should be cloudy and showery (70 POP) with highs in the 70s. A 50 POP for rain showers on Sunday night and lows in the 60s.  Monday and Tuesday should be partly cloudy, highs in the 80-85 range, with a 40 POP for showers/storms under increasing humidity. Wednesday through Friday should be sunny and quite warm and humid, with highs in the upper 80s and lows in the upper 60s.

High temp 76.2° VP2 (1740)(RS 76.5°)
Low temp  54.7° VP2 (0653)(RS 54.9°)
Obs temp  61.0° VP2 (RS 61.2°)  
Peak wind gust 7 N (1335)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (0829) to a low of 51% (1422)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 61° to 53°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.21"(2351) to 30.15"(1649)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 61.0° (VP2), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.21" and rising, humidity 87%, dew pt of 57°.

Currently at 0455 EDT I have a temp of 56.6°(VP2), (56.7° RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.22" and steady, humidity 92%, dew point of 54°.

Radar is showing a bit of northward movement to the precipitation in the Carolinas, also with some light, scattered areas showing up in sections of western KY and TN at this time.

BTW, I got my preferred WEATHERBUG app reinstalled so I am totally back in business.

Kevin the "comfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early Saturday morning.

Archived