• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
What's the Weather Where You are?

terpguy

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Wednesday, October 30, 2013

I am sorry that I did not post last night. I could log in but when I tried to go to my spot it just kicked me out onto the internet. Tried several times. Thankfully it is working fine tonight (so far).

Wednesday was a milder, cloudier day with a few light morning showers that managed to wet the ground (barely) - we had a bit of breaks in the clouds in the PM. We reached the mid 60s, and tonight under mostly cloudy skies we have only dropped down into the mid 50s, in fact rising about 0.6° (so far) since midnight till right now. We might reach the low 50s by morning with patchy fog possibly developing in scattered favorable areas. The fog will get blown away by mid-day winds that will be increasing ahead of the cold front coming through here the next few days. Temps will rise into the low 70s on the last day of October, Halloween day, with partly to mostly cloudy skies. Evening should stay dry for the trick or treaters as it looks now, but after midnight showers should develop (70 POP) with lows in the 50s. Friday should see morning showers (90 POP) then slow clearing, high temps in the 60s to around 70. then gradual cooling off Friday night till Sunday. Highs in the 60s under sunny skies on Saturday, lows in the low 40s on Saturday night under partly cloudy to clear skies (late), then sunny and cooler on Sunday with highs in the low 50s and lows in the low 30s. Temps should stay in the 50s at the start of the new week, slowly climbing into the upper 50s by Tuesday, Election Day with no rain in sight as of now.

Wednesday's precipitation: 0.03" (LR) 0.00" (VP2- slight blockage that has been cleared) 
October precipitation: 5.78"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 40.56" 

Other data for Wednesday is as follows: 

High temp 66.4° VP2 (1616)(RS 66.9°) 
Low temp 46.0° VP2 (0358)(RS 46.2°) 
Obs temp 55.2° VP2 (RS 55.6°)
Peak wind gust 8 SW (1039)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (0751) to a low of 67% (1525)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 56° to 43°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.34"(0006) to 30.15"(1716)

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 55.2°(VP2), Cloudy, Winds 1 ENE, Pressure at 30.20" and falling, humidity 94%, dew pt of 54°.

Currently at 0212 EDT I have a temp of 55.7°(VP2), (56.3° RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.17" and falling, humidity 94%, dew point of 54°.

Radar is showing showers scattered over a good portion of the Midwest, including the states of MI, IN, Western OH, IL, MO, and KY at this time. This area will eventually move over our area late night Thursday into Friday morning.

Kevin the "cool Walrus of Gaithersburg" signing off for early Halloween Thursday morning.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
   Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Halloween Thursday, October 31, 2013

Halloween Thursday was a mild, mostly cloudy day with a few occasional light showers falling through the day and into the evening. A bit of fog around also, temps stayed in the 60s rather than hitting the forecasted 70s due to the clouds and moisture. Rain showers on radar out to the west in the mountains of northern VA, eastern WV and western MD at this time, with stronger showers and even some embedded thundershowers are further out to the west with the cold front in eastern OH and parts of KY right now, that should be here sometime in the late morning. Temps are still in the mid 60s, not moving very far down from their Thursday afternoon high values, and should remain very mild overnight as the showers move in. Winds should also be picking up and staying relatively strong through the morning with the precipitation. We should start to clear out Friday afternoon, but remain warm in the 60s or low 70s possibly with the winds diminishing. Rain should diminish in the afternoon, and by Friday evening we should be clear. Lows Friday night slowly dropping into the 40s. Saturday should still see high temps in the low-mid 60s under mostly sunny skies, then cool off Saturday night into the low-mid 40s. Sunday should be sunny with highs in the low 50s, dropping into the low 30s Sunday night under mostly clear skies. It should remain seasonably cool somewhere in the 50s for highs and 30s for lows early next week, with a chance of showers developing mid week. Election Day weather should be fine.

Thursday's precipitation: 0.02" (LR) 0.00" (VP2- not sure why nothing recorded today- the big test will be overnight/tomorrow morning !!)  
October precipitation: 5.80"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 40.58" 

Other data for Thursday is as follows: 

High temp 66.6° VP2 (1607)(RS 67.1°) 
Low temp 55.2° VP2 (0000)(RS 55.6°) 
Obs temp 63.7° VP2 (RS 64.2°)   
Peak wind gust 11 E (1731)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (0658) to a low of 79% (1510)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 61° to 54°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.20"(0000) to 29.78"(2357)

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 63.7°(VP2), Cloudy, Winds 4 ESE, Pressure at 29.78" and falling, humidity 84%, dew pt of 59°.

Currently at 0209 EDT I have a temp of 65.9°(VP2), (66.4° RS), Cloudy, Winds 5 W, Pressure at 29.70" and falling, humidity 80%, dew point of 60°.

Radar is showing a batch of showers in the mountains to our west in eastern WV, northern VA, and western MD at this time. Further west, a line of stronger showers and scattered, embedded thundershowers are running through eastern OH and other parts of the Midwest currently. All headed this way over the next 12 hours or so.

Kevin the "damp Walrus" of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Friday morning. Hope all had a wonderfully spooky Halloween!  I heard that witch sightings were on the rise this year! Kids trick or treating at our house was down this year, however, unfortunately.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Friday, November 1, 2013

The start of November on Friday was not a typical day for the new month. Temps climbed into the low 70s, dew points into the 60s, clouds and rain in the morning (most of it fell between 0820 and 0940 EDT according to my VP2 data logger data). Also the rain was quite wind-blown at time; I had my biggest PWG in a few months, around 6:30 AM. Tonight it is cooling off a bit, into the low 50s now, under partly cloudy skies. Probably will make it into the upper 40s by morning. Saturday should see partly cloudy skies and high temps in the low 60s. Saturday night getting cooler, with lows in the upper 30s. Sunday cooler still, with highs in the low 50s, and lows around 30 on Sunday night with a good freeze under clear skies. Monday might just be our coldest day yet, with highs only in the upper 40s, then Monday night will be chilly down in the 30s, but warming a tad with more clouds coming in gradually. Warming up mid-week into the 60s for highs and 40s for lows, with a 40 POP for showers on Thursday.. Cooling back off again on Friday, with highs in the 50s and lows in the 30s.

Friday's precipitation: 0.19"(LR) 0.19"(VP2) Max rain rate (MRR) 1.12" @ 0822 at the onset of the precipitation.
November precipitation: 0.19"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 40.77" 

Other data for Friday is as follows: 

High temp 71.3° VP2 (1647)(RS 70.7°) 
Low temp 55.6° VP2 (2358)(RS 55.9°) 
Obs temp 55.6° VP2 (RS 55.9°)
MS"">  
Peak wind gust 19 W (0633)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (1204) to a low of 64% (1652)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 64° to 54°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.78"(0000) to 29.59"(0646)

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 55.6°(VP2), PCloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.66" and steady, humidity 93%, dew pt of 54°.

Currently at 0326 EDT I have a temp of 54.2°(VP2), (54.3° RS), PCloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.67" and steady, humidity 87%, dew point of 51°.

Radar is showing our earlier showers down on the coast of far eastern North Carolina and out to sea off the New Jersey and Long Island coasts.  Also sections of the midwest (MI mostly) have some scattered light showers falling at this time.

Kevin the "damp Walrus" of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Saturday morning. Going to Herb Close's bi-annual weather party tomorrow afternoon and evening. A long standing tradition that started in December 1989. Should be a great time, hope some of you out there can make it there some day - all are invited and very welcome!

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday, November 2, 2013

Saturday was a gradually cooler day with plenty of sun and wind to start our peak fall color weekend in fine style.  I  traveled northeast through Montgomery, Howard, Carroll and Baltimore counties to Herb Close's biannual weather party at his home in Manchester MD in NE Carroll County. Fall colors along the way were quite vibrant and pretty full.  The party had fine weather conditions, but had a low turnout unfortunately. Great food including superb meatballs made by Herb's mother, in honor of our dear friend Gary's usual contribution of his wife's own meatballs. Gary brought them to last year's party at this time then unfortunately passed away in early December. We remembered him today many times over.  Plenty of other weather talk, travel talk, and other friendly banter. I didn't return till after midnight, so I missed my Radio Shack Thermometer readings for Saturday. Clear conditions tonight with temps in the 40s, wind keeping up a bit and preventing significant temperatures dropoffs, despite the passage of a secondary cold front. Sunday may see some clouds in the AM, but clearing off with high temps in the mid 50s. Sunday night the skies should clear and temps should drop off into the upper 20s. Sunny, chilly skies on Monday, with highs only in the upper 40s. Cloudy skies return Monday evening, with lows in the mid 30s. Clouds predominate Tuesday and Wednesday, but remain dry. Highs in the mid 50s on Tuesday rise into the low 60s on Wednesday. Lows in the 30s.  Showers are expected on Thursday, with highs in the 60s (70 POP). Cooler, sunny, drier conditions on Friday and Saturday, with highs in the 50s and lows in the 30s. 

Saturday's precipitation: 0

Other data for Saturday is as follows:

High temp 65.3° VP2 (1143 EDT)(RS M°)
Low temp 48.9° VP2 (2359 EDT)(RS M°)
Obs temp 48.9° VP2 (RS M°)   

Peak wind gust 15 N (1543 EDT)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 94% (0010 EDT) to a low of 46% (1319 EDT)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 54° to 39°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.90"(2339 EDT) to 29.66"(0008 EDT)

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 48.9°(VP2), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.89" and rising, humidity 71%, dew pt of 40°.

Currently at 0512 EST I have a temp of 48.9°(VP2), (48.9° RS), Clear, Winds 3 SW, Pressure at 30.01" and rising, humidity 74%, dew point of 41°.

Radar is showing very light, very scattered showers over parts of the NE US, mostly in mountain areas of PA, NY and New England.  Also there are some light showers offshore of North Carolina.

Kevin the "cool Walrus" of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Sunday morning.  Now on Eastern Standard Time (EST) - note all the time references above are identified as EDT (Eastern Daylight Time) or EST. Already set most of my clocks back. My VP2, cell phone, computer clocks were nice enough to automatically adjust at 2 AM.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Sunday, November 3, 2013

Sunday was a cooler day with plenty of sun, breezy at times, and really cooling off through the 30s tonight. With the time change I still managed to sleep in really late, and mostly hung around and caught some football action and trying to catch up on my computer backlog. Tonight's clear skies and light winds should drop us down into the upper 20s by sunrise. Monday we should remain in the upper 40s for high temps, which would be our coolest day of the season.  Clouds coming in Monday night will keep us from getting as cold, but still bottoming out in the mid 30s. Cloudy Tuesday and Wednesday but with rain holding off till a 30 POP Wednesday night, highs in the low 50s on Tuesday and upper 50s on Wednesday. Thursday there is a 70 POP for showers under mostly cloudy skies with high temps in the 60s, lows in the lower 40s with a diminishing 30 POP for continued showers Thursday night.  Sunny and cooler on Friday and heading into the weekend, with high temps in the 50s and low temps around 40. 

Sunday's precipitation: 0

Other data for Sunday is as follows: 

High temp 55.2° VP2 (1425 EST)(RS M° - I forgot to change the clock in the device, so I missed catching the high temp for the day) 
Low temp 39.1° VP2 (2359 EST)(RS 39.0°) 
Obs temp 39.1° VP2 (RS 39.0°)  
Peak wind gust 18 N (0913 EST)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 82% (0720 EST) to a low of 29% (1455 EST)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 43° to 22°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.48"(2355 EST) to 29.89"(0000 EST)

At midnight EST obs the temp was 39.1°(VP2), Clear, Winds 2 NNW, Pressure at 30.48" and rising, humidity 59%, dew pt of 26°.

Currently at 0215 EST I have a temp of 35.4°(VP2), (35.2° RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.52" and rising, humidity 66%, dew point of 25°.

Radar is showing very light, very scattered showers of rain and snow over parts of New England at the present time. 

Kevin the "cool Walrus" of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Monday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Tuesday was milder with more clouds - call it a partly cloudy day, it was especially milder in the evening and now in the overnight hours, as temps have continued to hold in the low 50s.  Clouds should maintain at least a partial grip on the area through till Friday. Wednesday the high temp should rise into the low 60s. Wednesday night late, after midnight, a 30 POP for showers that grows into a 70 POP for showers on Thursday, mostly in the morning, with high temps once again in the 60s. Cooling off Thursday night, lows into the 30s, then Friday should be the coolest day of the week, with sunny skies and high temps in the low 50s. Lows Friday night around 30. Moderating some during the weekend, with high temps moving through the 50s through Saturday and Sunday. Might be around 60 for Veteran's Day Monday with not much chance for rain.

Tuesday's precipitation: 0

Other data for Tuesday is as follows: 

High temp 56.6° VP2 (1504)(RS 57.0° - I finally fixed the clock so I could read off the day's max and min temps according to the Radio Shack system) 
Low temp 35.0° VP2 (0000)(RS 34.9°) 
Obs temp 52.0° VP2 (RS 52.3°)

Peak wind gust 6 E (1134)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 83% (0706) to a low of 65% (1142)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 47° to 28°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.64"(0843) to 30.48"(2341)

At midnight obs the temp was 52.0°(VP2), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.48" and falling, humidity 82%, dew pt of 47°.

Currently at 0226 I have a temp of 52.2°(VP2), (52.5° RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.45" and falling, humidity 84%, dew point of 48°.

Radar is showing lots of precipitation out in the Midwest, through much of MO, IL, WI, and MI at this time. Snow appears to be falling in the western portions of Michigan's Upper Peninsula, NW WI, and much of MN right now. All gradually heading this way.

Kevin the "cool Walrus" of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Wednesday morning. Got a new chair today  from Staples, who even put it together for me. Thanks to my wife Jeanne for getting it for me, and Staples for having it ready for pickup tonight. Nice to roll around very easily on nicely gliding roller wheels.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Thursday, November 7, 2013

Thursday started off cloudy and mild, with brief, light showers from about 10:50 AM till about 12:05 PM according to my datalogger records. Slow clearing in the afternoon, ceilings gradually lifting, becoming breezy and gradually colder with our low temp for the day reached just a minute before midnight EST in the low 40s. Sunny and chilly on Friday, lows should reach the mid 30s by morning light, then head on up to only about 50 by Friday afternoon. Lows in the low 30s on Friday night, then highs in the 50s with lows in the 30s through the 3 day Veteran's Day weekend. Colder on Tuesday, clouding up on Tuesday night- highs in the 40s, lows in the 30s, with a 30 POP for rain or snow showers Tuesday night, then cloudy on Wednesday and Thursday with possible rain or snow showers on both days and overnight, highs in the low 40s, lows in the low-mid 30s. Will be interesting to see how this scenario develops. Stay tuned on this one, inevitably the situation will change a few times at least.

I have had problems logging in and posting on this site over the past few days, which is the reason you don't see a few of the recent days posts from me. I would login but it wouldn't take me to the proper page, but to another page on the internet outside of this website. It did this repeatedly; I only have so much time and patience in the late night hours when I usually post. So sorry for missing a few days!

Thursday's precipitation: 0.06" (LR) 0.05" (VP2)  0.07" Max rain rate @ 1205
November precipitation: 0.25"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 40.83" 

High temp 58.8° VP2 (1047)(RS 59.2°)  
Low temp 42.5° VP2 (2359)(RS 42.6°) 
Obs temp 42.5° VP2 (RS 42.6°)
Peak wind gust 22 SW (2155)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 92% (1229) to a low of 47% (2220)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 56° to 25°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.09"(2318) to 29.89"(0630)

At midnight obs the temp was 42.5°(VP2), PCloudy, Winds 6 SSE, Pressure at 30.09" and falling, humidity 52%, dew pt of 26°.

Currently at 0221 I have a temp of 38.8°(VP2), (38.5° RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.10" and rising, humidity 66%, dew point of 28°.

Radar is showing scattered areas of snow flurries/snow showers/snow squalls in the Great Lake areas of parts of the Midwest, including sections in MI, OH, PA and western NY currently.

Kevin the "pleasantly cool Walrus" of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Friday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Friday, November 8, 2013

Friday cooled off some more, blustery at times, with partly cloudy skies. The high temperature stayed below the 50 mark (so far) for only the third time this fall (10/24 - 49.9°, 11/4 - 45.8° the other 2 times.)  This evening under lessening winds and clearing skies, the temperature is really dropping off and should reach my coldest value of the season (so far) by sunrise or thereabouts.  Temps have been falling through the 30s and are about to head into the 20s. We may hit about 25° for my coldest reading of the season (so far). Saturday and Sunday temps should rebound into the 50s for highs, with lows only in the upper 30s Saturday night. A dry cold front passing through on Sunday will pick up the winds and start dropping the temps again, into the low 30s overnight Sunday. Much of the new week will have high temps only in the 40s, perhaps on Wed only up to 40, with a 30-40 POP for possible rain or snow showers at times on Monday night and late Tuesday into Wednesday. Highs in the 50s probably won't return till late in the week, around Friday as it looks now. The coastal LOW that is expected to develop mid-week next week looks to stay far enough out in the Atlantic to keep us dry and cold - perhaps with just some clouds at times. 

Friday's precipitation: 0

High temp 49.2° VP2 (1032)(RS 49.3°)  
Low temp 32.9° VP2 (2357)(RS 32.9°) 
Obs temp 32.9° VP2 (RS 32.9°)
Peak wind gust 17 N (1205)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 78% (2338) to a low of 37% (1405)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 32° to 23°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.34"(2329) to 30.09"(0002)

At midnight obs the temp was 32.9°(VP2), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.33" and steady, humidity 78%, dew pt of 27°.

Currently at 0402 I have a temp of 29.5°(VP2), (28.9° RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.34" and steady, humidity 87%, dew point of 26°.

Radar is showing an area of mixed precipitation (snow and rain mostly) over much of the UP of Michigan along with extreme NE Wisconsin at the present time. Flurry action in the mountains of the Appalachians in scattered locations have been decreasing in areal coverage and intensity this evening, helped out by lessening winds over the Great Lakes.

Kevin the "pleasantly cool Walrus" of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Saturday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday, November 9, 2013

Saturday warmed slightly in the afternoon after our chilliest morning of the season so far. Plenty of sun with the wind starting to die off in the PM hours. About 10° milder late this evening than last night. Still it might get close to freezing by sunrise Sunday (mid 30s). Sunny and cool both Sunday and Monday, with highs in the 50s and lows in the 30s. Monday night and Tuesday we should cloud up ahead of a strong cold front, with a 40 POP for rain or SNOW showers with temps in the low 30s and highs only in the low 40s. Wednesday and Thursday we should dry out under sunny skies but remain cold, with highs only in the low-mid 40s and lows well down in the low-mid 20s. Friday should see some moderation in the temperatures, with highs back in the 50s and lows in the 30s, with still plenty of sun.

High temp 53.4° VP2 (1530)(RS 53.6°)  
Low temp 28.4° VP2 (0656)(RS 27.9°) 
Obs temp 42.1° VP2 (RS 42.1°)  
Peak wind gust 16 W (1139)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 91% (0737) to a low of 40% (1415)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 32° to 26°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.38"(0809) to 30.05"(2317)

At midnight obs the temp was 42.1°(VP2), PCldy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.05" and falling, humidity 65%, dew pt of 31°.

Currently at 0425 I have a temp of 36.6°(VP2), (36.1° RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.02" and falling, humidity 79%, dew point of 31°.

Radar is showing mixed rain and snow showers over a good part of northern and central New England at this time.

Kevin the "pleasantly cool Walrus" of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Sunday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Sunday, November 10, 2013

Sunday warmed up a bit in the morning hours, then slid off slightly in the PM hours.  Nice and sunny - breezy at times - with low relative humidities a red flag fire warning was posted for the area during the day - drying out the timber and brush an increased danger for fires to flare up in the region.  Recent dry weather has not helped out. We should drop into the mid 30s by sunrise on Monday. Monday during the daylight hours should be partly cloudy with high temps in the mid 50s. Monday night should cloud up with a 40 POP for rain or SNOW showers late, with lows dropping into the low 30s. Tuesday should be quite blustery and chilly, with high temps only around 40 with possible morning snow flurries. Tuesday night clearing out with low temps in the mid-upper 20s. Wednesday and Thursday should be sunny, highs in the low 40s on Tues to mid-upper 40s on Wed, with lows generally in the 20s. Thursday warming up a bit to around 50 for a high temp, lows around 30. Friday into Saturday should see a bit more moderation in the temp, reaching mid 50s for highs on those days, with 30s for lows. No real sign of any break to our generally dry patterns of the past few weeks.

High temp 59.7° VP2 (1122)(RS 59.9°)  
Low temp 34.2° VP2 (0653)(RS 33.8°) 
Obs temp 42.0° VP2 (RS 41.9°)
Peak wind gust 20 SW (1208)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 88% (0813) to a low of 34% (1131)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 38° to 27°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.25"(2352) to 29.98"(1304)

At midnight obs the temp was 42.0°(VP2), Clear, Winds 3 WSW, Pressure at 30.25" and steady, humidity 59%, dew pt of 28°.

Currently at 0345 I have a temp of 37.7°(VP2), (37.4° RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.26" and steady, humidity 71%, dew point of 29°.

Radar is showing mixed rain and snow showers over a good part of both the upper and lower peninsulas of Michigan and also Wisconsin at the present time.

Kevin the "pleasantly chilling Walrus" of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Monday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Veteran's Day Monday, 11/11/13

Monday cooled down a tad from Sunday, but hardly distinguishable, plus winds slacked off so it probably actually felt warmer. The next few hours will be our last ones of warmth, as a strong cold front is poised to swoop down from the north and west during the later morning hours on Tuesday, dropping the temps currently in the upper 40s into the low 40s then into the upper 30s, holding there as the afternoon wears on. We should see some scattered light showers of rain at first during the next few hours (see radar update below) then hopefully a few light SNOW showers, unfortunately near the end of the precipitation chances. Tuesday afternoon should be partly cloudy and blustery at times, with decent wind chill temperatures into the 20s and 30s. Tuesday night should clear off with temps falling into the 20s. Wednesday and Thursday should see sunny and chilly conditions, highs in the low-mid 40s and lows well down in the low-mid 20s. Friday and Saturday should see temperatures moderate into the mid 50s, with lows in the mid 30s. We might see a few rain showers on Sunday and get a bit milder up into the upper 50s, but more details on that later in the week. Our snow showers will be only conversational unfortunately, as the ground is too warm for the snow to stick, and the snow intensity should only be briefly high if at all. Temps during the snow showers will probably be a good deal above freezing.

Monday's precipitation: 0

Other data for Monday is as follows: 

High temp 56.0° VP2 (1454)(RS 56.5°)  
Low temp 34.8° VP2 (0615)(RS 34.3°) 
Obs temp 49.9° VP2 (RS 50.4°)
Peak wind gust 9 W (1157)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 84% (0800) to a low of 36% (1520)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 34° to 28°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.32"(0847) to 30.02"(2316)

At midnight obs the temp was 49.9°(VP2), PCloudy, Winds 2 WSW, Pressure at 30.03" and falling, humidity 49%, dew pt of 31°.

Currently at 0204 I have a temp of 47.1°(VP2), (47.7° RS), Cloudy, Winds 1 W, Pressure at 30.00" and falling, humidity 59%, dew point of 33°.

Radar is showing the frontal precipitation of rain then snow showers just coming down into extreme NW Maryland from PA and OH at this time. Nice band of snow back in far western PA and parts of OH right now.

Kevin the "pleasantly chilling Walrus" of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Tuesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Tuesday was the day of the big cool down, with clouds overnight and temps dropping through the 40s into the 30s by about 9 AM  and holding in the upper 30s all day and evening. Clearing by afternoon - clouds looked snow-laden this morning but I didn't observe any snowflakes out my window here at my house, nor on the roads on the way into the office.  So unless I can get a local neighbor eyewitness that saw snow for now I had no precipitation on Tuesday. Temps now under clearing skies have fallen in the upper 20s, and heading for a low in the low-mid 20s by sunrise. Tomorrow should be blustery at times and cold, with high temps only reaching the low 40s. Lows Wednesday night well down into the 20s overnight. Moderating starting Thursday, with highs on that day in the upper 40s to around 50, then low 50s on Friday, and reaching into the upper 50s over the weekend. Lows in the 30s on Thursday and Friday night, then around 40 for lows over the weekend.  A 30 POP for rain showers on Sunday and remaining cloudy into the first part of next week, with highs remaining in the upper 50s with more slight chances of rain showers further on in the week.

Tuesday's precipitation: 0 (as best I can determine at this point in time)

High temp 49.9° VP2 (0000)(RS 50.4°)  
Low temp 30.4° VP2 (2337)(RS 30.0°)
Obs temp 30.5° VP2 (RS 30.0°)  
Peak wind gust 26 N (0752)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 70% (0533) to a low of 41% (1633)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 39° to 15°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.43"(2342) to 30.00"(0248)

At midnight obs the temp was 30.5°(VP2), Clear, Winds 1 NW, Pressure at 30.42" and rising, humidity 64%, dew pt of 20°.

Currently at 0253 I have a temp of 29.2°(VP2), (28.8° RS), Clear, Winds 1 W, Pressure at 30.41" and steady, humidity 68%, dew point of 20°.

Radar is showing snow streamers blowing in through parts of western NY, NW PA, parts of OH, coming right off Lakes Erie and Ontario. Drying out before they reach our area of course. Will probably regenerate some over the high terrain of West Virginia and then down into the Great Smokies.

Kevin the "pleasantly chilling Walrus" of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Wednesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Wednesday cooled down even further, becoming our coldest day of the season (so far), eclipsing the 45.8° reached on November 4. However overnight winds picked up and some clouds must have come in, and the low temp never got colder than 29 reached just after I went to bed.  I had a long dental appt late in the morning, getting an inlay filling worked on that kept me in the chair for almost 2 hours!  Winds kept up during the day, but have really calmed down tonight, so with clear skies and the light to no wind, we should get much colder tonight, probably into the low-mid 20s by sunrise. Moderating temps should start to take hold on Thursday as our big cold HIGH slides off to the east and starting to give us a warmer return flow from a more southerly component. Highs in the low-mid 50s on Thursday should rise even further on Friday and Saturday, getting into the 60s.  Lows in the 20s on Thursday night should warm also over the weekend, particularly with an increase in clouds late Saturday and showers developing overnight Saturday and persisting off and on through till Monday night, with the greatest chance (80 POP) on Monday, ahead of another strong cold front approaching the NW, which should drop our 60s on Monday into the 40s on Tuesday and only about 40 on Wednesday.

Wednesday's precipitation: 0

High temp 41.6° VP2 (1532)(RS 41.5°)  
Low temp 29.2° VP2 (0241)(RS 28.6°)
Obs temp 30.8° VP2 (RS 30.4°)   
Peak wind gust 20 NW (1026)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 70% (0244) to a low of 42% (1535)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 23° to 19°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.51"(1012) to 30.40"(2316)

At midnight obs the temp was 30.8°(VP2), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.41" and falling, humidity 65%, dew pt of 20°.

Currently at 0203 I have a temp of 28.6°(VP2), (27.9° RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.39" and falling, humidity 69%, dew point of 20°.

Radar is showing a few light snow showers over parts of northern New England, mostly in the great state of Maine. Otherwise pretty clear over the rest of the Eastern U.S.

Kevin the "chilling Walrus" of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Thursday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Thursday, November 14, 2013

Thursday morning's low of 25.6° was the coldest reading I have had (so far) this fall season. In the afternoon we warmed into the mid 50s under bright sun. Tonight we have dropped down significantly once again, and are now below freezing in the early morning hours of Friday.  We should reach the upper 20s by sunrise. Warming on Friday to around 60, then clouds and a 30 POP for showers late Friday night. Partly cloudy on Saturday with highs around 60, then clouding up again on Saturday night and milder, with lows only in the 40s. Sunday should see clouds and a 40 POP for showers, highs in the 50s. Sunday night cloudy and rainy (100 POP), then a 50 POP on Monday for rain showers and turning cooler, with highs in the 50s. Cooler and clearing off thereafter for mid-week, with highs in the 40s and lows in the 20s on Tuesday and Wednesday.  

Thursday's precipitation: 0

High temp 55.9° VP2 (1433)(RS 55.8°)  
Low temp 25.6° VP2 (0645)(RS 24.6°) 
Obs temp 32.9° VP2 (RS 32.7°)   
Peak wind gust 7 W (1325)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 84% (0752) to a low of 22% (1302)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 26° to 15°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.41"(0000) to 30.24"(2316)

At midnight obs the temp was 32.9°(VP2), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.25" and steady, humidity 72%, dew pt of 25°.

Currently at 0227 I have a temp of 30.3°(VP2), (29.8° RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.25" and steady, humidity 79%, dew point of 25°.

Radar is showing a few light very scattered lines of showers in the Midwest, mostly in WI and MI at this time.

Kevin the "chilling Walrus" of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Friday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Friday, November 15, 2013

Friday morning's low of 28.1° gave us one more cold/sub-freezing min temp for this week, but that will be it till next week for those conditions. Big change up for the weekend.  On Friday afternoon we reached to just about 60 for a high temp, then slid slowly down in the evening, made slow by advancing clouds coming in ahead of a warm front. Rain was to the west, and it came in just prior to midnight obs. It has been raining since midnight, but just quit as the rain is moving east and out of our area for the time being. Saturday should be cloudy with an outside chance at a shower (20 POP) with highs in the 50s. Saturday night be mild and cloudy with temps remaining in the 50s with a chance of some fog. Sunday should be cloudy with high temps in the 60s, then a good chance of showers Sunday night (90 POP) ahead of a slow-moving cold front. Monday continues with the threat of showers (50 POP) then starting to clear out Monday night and turning colder, with lows in the 30s. Tuesday and the rest of the week should see sunny skies and colder temps, with highs in the 40s and lows in the 20s.

Friday's precipitation: 0.06" (LR) 0.02" (VP2)
November precipitation: 0.31"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 40.89" 

High temp 59.8° VP2 (1440)(RS 59.9°)  
Low temp 28.1° VP2 (0655)(RS 27.3°) 
Obs temp 46.7° VP2 (RS 46.9°)
Peak wind gust 7 SW (1459)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 86% (0748) to a low of 25% (1515)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 43° to 23°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.30"(0820) to 30.20"(1459)

At midnight obs the temp was 46.7°(VP2), Cloudy/Light rain, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.28" and rising, humidity 86%, dew pt of 43°.

Currently at 0405 I have a temp of 44.9°(VP2), (45.0° RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.25" and falling, humidity 94%, dew point of 43°. VP2 rainfall since midnight 0.12".

Radar is showing our earlier showers moving off to the east towards the Bay and the Ocean. No more rain right now out to our west, according to the current radar.

Kevin the "slightly wet Walrus" of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Saturday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday, November 16, 2013

Saturday was cloudy and relatively mild, with overnight light rain then evening drizzle and light fog that on Sunday morning has become dense fog - we are under a dense fog advisory till sometime in the later morning.  Temperatures have remained unchanged the past several hours - in the low 50s.  Clouds will continue to dominate the scene all of Sunday, highs reaching into the low 60s but with rain holding off till late (after midnight). Showers and even thundershowers possible with strong, gusty winds overnight (90 POP) and mild (50s). Then on Monday morning showers will be winding down, and we should see at least some partial sun in the afternoon, with highs once again in the 60s. Cooler Monday night and clear, with lows in the upper 30s. Sunny and cooler on Tuesday with highs in the upper 40s, lows around 30. Wednesday should be more of the same - sunny and seasonably cold. Moderating slightly on Thursday with highs in the 50s and lows in the upper 30s. Friday should have more clouds than sun, with temps in the 50s and lows in the low 40s.  Perhaps some rain chances over the weekend, about a 30 POP the way it stands right now.

Saturday's precipitation: 0.11" (LR) 0.12" (VP2) Max rain rate 0.08" (VP2) @ 0012
November precipitation: 0.42"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 41.00" 

High temp 53.4° VP2 (1344)(RS 53.4°)  
Low temp 44.2° VP2 (0717)(RS 44.2°) 
Obs temp 50.8° VP2 (RS 51.1°)  

Peak wind gust 7 E (1531)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0853) to a low of 86% (0000)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 50° to 43°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.34"(0913) to 30.24"(2357)

At midnight obs the temp was 50.8°(VP2), Cloudy/patchy drizzle, Winds 5 E, Pressure at 30.24" and falling, humidity 96%, dew pt of 50°.

Currently at 0507  I have a temp of 52.4°(VP2), (52.7° RS), Cloudy/dense fog/patchy drizzle, Winds 1 SE, Pressure at 30.18" and falling, humidity 97%, dew point of 52°. VP2 rainfall since midnight 0.01".

Radar is showing a few light showers out in the mtns of western MD, WV and PA at this time. The bulk of the rain is further west out in sections of the Midwest, mostly in OH, IN and western PA at this time. Cells appear to be moving SW to NE, but the whole line is progressing eastward towards our area eventually.

Kevin the "slightly damp Walrus" of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Sunday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Sunday, November 17, 2013

Sunday was cloudy and mild once again, with overnight patchy drizzle and light fog (dense at times) and then a few light evening showers ahead of an advancing cold front that should bring brief heavy showers and gusty winds overnight. Actually I believe the line just blew through, with 0.16" from 0155- 0200, a 5.05" max rain rate and a modest PWG of 16 MPH from the west at 0157. Rough data that I will go over more Monday night. I believe we will clear out by morning, remain breezy and mild one more day, with highs in the mid 60s. Monday night should cool down into the 30s. Tuesday and Wednesday should see cooler temps, with highs in the upper 40s and lows around 30. Cloudy with moderating temps starting on Thursday, with a 30 POP for showers on Friday.

Sunday's precipitation: 0.07" (LR) 0.04" (VP2) Max rain rate 0.09" (VP2) @ 2249
November precipitation: 0.49"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 41.07" 

High temp 60.7° VP2 (1503)(RS 61.0°)  
Low temp 50.8° VP2 (0000)(RS 51.1°) 
Obs temp 59.8° VP2 (RS 60.3°) 
Peak wind gust 9 E (1132)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (0522) to a low of 87% (1342)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 59° to 50°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.25"(0012) to 29.74"(2359)

At midnight obs the temp was 59.8°(VP2), Cloudy, Winds 9 ESE, Pressure at 29.74" and falling, humidity 95%, dew pt of 59°.

Currently at 0236 EST I have a temp of 55.3°(VP2), (56.5° RS), Cloudy, Winds 3 W, Pressure at 29.76" and falling, humidity 92%, dew point of 53°. VP2 rainfall since midnight 0.19". Max rain rate since midnight 5.05" @ 0156

Radar is showing a skinny line of heavier showers with gusty winds that just passed through our area - moving fast at about 50 MPH so it will be at the Chesapeake Bay within the hour and continuing to head east towards the ocean.  Some lighter showers in a broader area just to my west may give us a bit more precip over the next few hours.

Kevin the "damp, busy Walrus" of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Monday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Monday, November 18, 2013

Monday was cloudy overnight with  a brief heavy shower around 2 AM that marked the passage of the front, then clearing by morning but remaining mild (well up in the 60s) and breezy at times but with plenty of sun, then cooling off with some clouds this evening, as we slip down through the 50s and 40s to bottom out by morning around 40. Sunny on Tuesday and Wednesday with highs up in the mid-upper 40s, lows in the upper 20s on Tuesday night and low 30s on Wednesday night. Clouds return on Thursday and Friday, with highs in the low-mid 50s, lows in the 30s to around 40, A bit warmer Friday night with a 50 POP for showers, then cloudy on Saturday with a 60 POP for showers, highs in the 50s. Cloudy Saturday night with lows in the 30s, then Sunday and Monday considerably colder, with highs in the upper 30s to around 40 and lows well down in the 20s under sunny/clear skies and brisk winds at times.

Monday's precipitation: 0.19" (LR) 0.19" (VP2) Max rain rate 5.05" (VP2) @ 0156 
November precipitation: 0.68"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 41.26" 

High temp 67.1° VP2 (1421)(RS 66.9°)  
Low temp 48.8° VP2 (2358)(RS 49.1°) 
Obs temp 48.8° VP2 (RS 49.1°)  
Peak wind gust 17 NW (1926)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 95% (0000) to a low of 24% (1423)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 61° to 26°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.95"(2348) to 29.70"(0101)

At midnight obs the temp was 48.8°(VP2), PCloudy, Winds 6 NNW, Pressure at 29.95" and rising, humidity 45%, dew pt of 28°.

Currently at 0218  I have a temp of 45.9°(VP2), (46.2° RS), Mostly clear, Winds 3 NW, Pressure at 29.98" and rising, humidity 51%, dew point of 29°.

Radar is showing some snow showers in upstate New York, mostly in and around the Adirondack Mountains far to the North.

Kevin the "cooling off, drying off Walrus" of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Tuesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Tuesday was partly cloudy, breezy and gradually colder as the day wore on. Tonight we are clear and cold, with temps finally reaching around the freezing mark for the first time since Nov 15.  Looks like a partly sunny day on Wednesday with highs in the upper 40s, lows in the upper 20s. Gradual warming through the week, highs around 50 or low 50s on Thursday, upper 50s on Friday with clouds and evening showers. Showers (60 POP) on Saturday, highs in the low 60s, then turning colder again later on Saturday evening into Sunday, with possible rain or snow showers Saturday night briefly before ending. Sunday should be sunny and cold with highs in the upper 30s to around 40, carrying those temps in Monday, with lows down in the low 20s.

Tuesday's precipitation: 0 

High temp 48.8° VP2 (0000)(RS 49.1°)  
Low temp 34.6° VP2 (2338)(RS 34.5°) 
Obs temp 34.8° VP2 (RS 34.7°)
Peak wind gust 24 NW (0745)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 72% (2318) to a low of 45% (0000)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 30° to 25°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.39"(2342) to 29.95"(0000)

At midnight obs the temp was 34.8°(VP2), Clear, Winds 5 NW, Pressure at 30.39" and rising, humidity 70%, dew pt of 26°.

Currently at 0239  I have a temp of 31.9°(VP2), (31.8° RS), Clear, Winds 1 NW, Pressure at 30.44" and rising, humidity 75%, dew point of 25°.

Radar is basically clear over all of the Eastern U.S. north of Florida at the present time.

Kevin the "cooling off Walrus" of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Wednesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Wednesday was mostly sunny, colder, particularly in the evening. Clouds have returned in the evening with a light onshore easterly flow, but temps are still dropping, currently in the upper 20s. Morning frost, first freezing temp since Nov 15. Cloudy overnight with lows in the mid-upper 20s, then cloudy and chilly on Thursday, with highs in the upper 40s. A bit milder on Friday, highs up around 50, then Friday night and Saturday a 50 POP for showers, lows in the 40s and highs in the 50s, but turning colder later. Lows Saturday night back down in the 20s. Sunny and cold on Sunday with high temps only in the mid 30s and breezy - relatively low wind chill temps! Highs around 40 on Monday, then on Tuesday and Wednesday it gets interesting as clouds return but the cold stays, and there is a chance of rain and/or snow showers off and on.  Lows in the 20s. Stay tuned on that interesting development, just in time for the big pre-holiday traffic day!

Wednesday's precipitation: 0 

High temp 47.4° VP2 (1447)(RS 46.9°)  
Low temp 29.4° VP2 (2358)(RS 28.9°) 
Obs temp 29.4° VP2 (RS 28.9°)   
Peak wind gust 10 NE (1320)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 82% (0442) to a low of 35% (1429)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 26° to 20°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.60"(1014) to 30.39"(0000)

At midnight obs the temp was 29.4°(VP2), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.58" and steady, humidity 80%, dew pt of 24°.

Currently at 0229 EST  I have a temp of 28.5°(VP2), (27.9° RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.58" and steady, humidity 86%, dew point of 25°.

Radar is showing light shower action in parts of the Midwest, mostly throughout Michigan, but overlapping into neighboring states like OH, IN and IL at the present time.

Kevin the "chilling Walrus" of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Thursday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Thursday, November 21, 2013

Thursday was mostly cloudy but with some clear periods, like early in the morning when the temperature dropped into the upper 20s.  Max temp in the mid 40s about the same as yesterday, but with more clouds this evening it has turned quite a bit milder now, with temps back up into the mid 40s. Friday should see mostly cloudy skies once again, with highs up in the low 60s, lows in the low 40s, with a 40 POP for showers in the afternoon and evening. Saturday should see clearing, windy conditions with highs in the upper 40s. Clear and cold Saturday night with lows in the 20s, then on Sunday sunny, windy and cold with highs in the low-mid 30s, lows in the lower 20s. Monday a tad warmer and less windy, highs in the upper 30s under increasingly cloudy skies, lows again in the 20s. Tuesday cloudy with highs in the low 40s, then cloudy Tuesday night with a chance at rain or snow (30 POP currently). Wednesday should be cloudy with precipitation ending, highs in the low 40s. Thanksgiving should be sunny and cold, with highs in the upper 30s. 

High temp 47.6° VP2 (1520)(RS 47.8°)  
Low temp 28.4° VP2 (0238)(RS 27.7°) 
Obs temp 45.4° VP2 (RS 45.7°)   
Peak wind gust 6 NE (1004)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 89% (0444) to a low of 65% (1315)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 39° to 24°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.60"(0829) to 30.40"(2356)

At midnight obs the temp was 45.4°(VP2), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.41" and falling, humidity 78%, dew pt of 39°.

Currently at 0212 I have a temp of 46.2°(VP2), (46.4° RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.35" and falling, humidity 79%, dew point of 40°.

Radar is showing scattered light shower action just to my west and north in parts of WV, western MD, PA, OH  and NY at this time. Broad swath of snow in parts of WI, IA, MN falling right now.

Kevin the "chilling Walrus" of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Friday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Friday, November 22, 2013

Friday was mostly cloudy and mild, with very light early morning showers/sprinkles, and very light misting rain in the early evening on the way home from work  - all was not measurable, and my VP2 just stayed at 0.00 all day. Has cooled down some in the early Saturday morning hours, but only down into the mid 40s. Temps will be on the decline, particularly late in the day on Saturday, as a stronger cold front sweeps through the area. Slight chance for some light showers with the FROPA, but it is still quite dry, with increasing winds of late that are keeping up all night Friday. Temps on Saturday under partly to mostly sunny skies will be dropping through the 40s into the 30s by the evening. Sunday morning should see blustery, clear conditions with temps in the 20s. During the day on Sunday the temps should not rise out of the low-mid 30s. Monday morning should see temps in the low 20s, rising to around 40 with lessening winds. Tuesday and Wednesday still are a bit uncertain as a storm tries to get it together to our south over the Gulf states. Right now cold rain is mostly expected Tuesday evening/overnight (60 POP)  into Wednesday (50 POP), with low temps in the low 30s and highs around 40 on Wednesday. For Thanksgiving and Black Friday the initial forecast is for partly to mostly sunny skies with highs in the mid 30s and lows in the low 20s. Stay tuned on this ever-changing forecast for the two busiest travel days of the year.

Friday's precipitation: T (LR) 

High temp 59.8° VP2 (1342)(RS 60.1°)  
Low temp 45.2° VP2 (0037)(RS 45.3°) 
Obs temp 54.5° VP2 (RS 55.0°)
Peak wind gust 14 NW (2235)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 91% (0801) to a low of 70% (1339)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 52° to 39°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.41"(0000) to 30.03"(2129)

At midnight obs the temp was 54.5° (VP2), Cloudy, Winds 10 SW, Pressure at 30.06" and rising, humidity 79%, dew pt of 48°.

Currently at 0429 EST I have a temp of 44.9°(VP2), (45.1° RS), Cloudy, Winds 3 NW, Pressure at 30.13" and rising, humidity 68%, dew point of 35°.

Radar is pretty blank over the region right now, with our light shower activity well offshore into the Atlantic right now.

Kevin the "chilling Walrus" of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Saturday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday, November 23, 2013

Saturday was partly to mostly cloudy and mild at first, but gradually got colder as the day wore on, with a late evening increase in winds as temps dropped below freezing and wind chill temps lowered. Also had a few snow flurries falling around. Low temps by Sunday sunrise should be in the low 20s with wind chills in the teens. Sunday should be blustery at times and cold with high temps only getting as high as being around the freezing mark, with mostly sunny skies. Temps dropping again nicely on Sunday night into Monday morning, with lows around 20 by sunrise Monday. Monday should moderate a bit, with lessening winds, with a high temp of about 40. Becoming cloudy on Monday night and Tuesday, with lows in the 20s and highs on Tuesday in the low 40s. Tuesday night through Wednesday night should see cloudy skies with a cold rain developing, lows just above freezing and high temps around 40. We should clear out for Thanksgiving day on Thursday, with highs in the 30s and lows in the 20s. More of the same on Black Friday.

Saturday's precipitation: T (LR)  T (Snow)

High temp 54.5° VP2 (0000)(RS 55.0°)  
Low temp 30.4° VP2 (2359)(RS 30.4°)
Obs temp 30.4° VP2 (RS 30.4°)
Peak wind gust 20 E (2317)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 79% (0000) to a low of 41% (1319)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 48° to 10°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.23"(2356) to 30.06"(0000)

At midnight obs the temp was 30.4° (VP2), PCloudy, Winds 15 N, Pressure at 30.23" and rising, humidity 43%, dew pt of 10°.

Currently at 0550 EST I have a temp of 24.2°(VP2), (23.7° RS), Cloudy, Winds 3 W (PWG since midnight 23 NE @ 0003), Pressure at 30.33" and rising, humidity 49%, dew point of 7°.

Radar is showing a few streamers of snow flurries/snow showers coming off Lake Erie, running NW/SE into sections of PA and OH and heading into the DC region at this time.

Kevin the "chilling Walrus" of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Sunday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Sunday, November 24, 2013

Sunday was partly cloudy, blustery at times particularly in the early morning hours, and was our coldest day of the season, and our first day with a max temp at or below the freezing mark.  The 30.4 max temp which was recorded at midnight and also at 1350 in the early afternoon set a daily low max temp record, easily eclipsing the old record of 37 set back in 1981, and was the second lowest max temp ever in November, only surpassed by the all-time record of 29 on 11/21/87.  It was nice to have a good winter day! Temps have dropped off tonight well down into the 20s now, and should reach the upper teens by sunrise. Sunny on Monday with light winds and highs in the upper 30s. Becoming cloudy on Monday night with lows in the 30s. Tuesday and Wednesday looks to be cloudy and cold, with great chances (POPs of 70-90) of cold rain, with possible snow at the end of the action on Wednesday night (40 POP). High temps will be around 40, lows in the mid 30s, just above freezing. Thanksgiving should be sunny and cold, with highs in the mid 30s. Staying dry the rest of the week, with a gradual warmup into the weekend, with highs over the weekend into the 50s. Lows should be mostly in the 20s on Thanksgiving then 30s the rest of the week into the weekend.

High temp 30.4° VP2 (0000)(RS 30.4°)  
Low temp 23.2° VP2 (2358)(RS 22.5°) 
Obs temp 23.2° VP2 (RS 22.5°)  
Peak wind gust 23 NE (0003)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 59% (2342) to a low of 36% (1346)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 11° to 6°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.54"(2301) to 30.22"(0003)

At midnight obs the temp was 23.2° (VP2), Clear, Winds 2 WSW, Pressure at 30.54" and rising, humidity 58%, dew pt of 10°.

Currently at 0227 EST I have a temp of 21.6°(VP2), (21.0° RS), Clear, Winds 2 SW , Pressure at 30.53" and rising, humidity 61%, dew point of 10°.

Radar is showing some snow or mixed precip in lower sections of the Midwest, including the states of IL, MO, KY and TN at this time. All associated with our upcoming storm later on this week.

Kevin the "chilling Walrus" of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Monday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Monday, November 25, 2013

Monday was clear and quite cold in the early AM, then clouds slowly increased (high cloud types) through the day, with lessening winds and a bit milder temps than Sunday, with highs reaching the mid 30s. Clouds thickened up in the evening, and after dropping into the low 30s, the temperatures have been slowly rising the past few hours as the clouds continue to stream in. Dew points are still dry, but are slowly creeping up. Overnight we should stay cloudy, mixed precipitation is still to our south and west, but moving towards our area, and should be here in the waking hours of the later morning, hopefully not starting till I get to the office, esp. if a mixed bag is falling, which is called for as we are under a winter weather advisory from 4 AM to 4 PM. Gradually, if we do get some mixed precip, it should all turn to rain, perhaps moderate to heavy at times Tuesday night, with highs in the low 40s and lows in the mid 30s. Wednesday should see the storm wind up, perhaps with some wet snow at the tail end of the storm with high temps in the low 40s. Wednesday evening will clear out, with lows in the 20s. Thursday through till the end of the week should see seasonably cold temps on Turkey Day, highs in the upper 30s then slowly rise through the 40s into the weekend, with low temps in the 20s. After our big rainstorm the next few days, it appears that we will enter a dry period into next week.

Monday's precipitation: 0

High temp 37.4° VP2 (1439)(RS 36.7°)  
Low temp 19.8° VP2 (0709)(RS 19.2°) 
Obs temp 33.0° VP2 (RS 33.1°)  
Peak wind gust 11 S (1429)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 69% (0747) to a low of 29% (1414)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 13° to 7°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.60"(0852) to 30.35"(2359)

At midnight obs the temp was 33.0° (VP2), Cloudy, Winds 1 WSW, Pressure at 30.35" and falling, humidity 44%, dew pt of 13°.

Currently at 0254 EST I have a temp of 33.9°(VP2), (34.0° RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm , Pressure at 30.32" and falling, humidity 45%, dew point of 14°.

Radar is showing snow or mixed precip scattered throughout the region, moving generally SW to NE. Nothing falling here yet. Looks to be a few hours away, as the air column overhead is still dry, and must saturate a lot more and that will take some time.

Kevin the "chilling Walrus" of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Tuesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Tuesday was cloudy, cold in the overnight, just above freezing but the temp was creeping up until the precip started mid-morning, then it went down a bit, but still above freezing then a few hours later started to creep up higher, peaking around 10 PM tonight, along with heavier rain in the evening. No frozen precipitation observed here all day. Some has been noted by other observers not too far away. For some reason my VP2 came in with a bit more precipitation than my lake region gauge did- both amounts still easily eclipsed the previous daily precipitation record for Nov 26, recorded back in 1996 (1.05"). I will take other observer input and further study on any possible changes to my total rainfall amount, but for now I am going with the Lake Region amount. Stil raining early this Wednesday morning, and should continue well into the morning. It might end up in periods of light snow showers with little to no accumulation. Highs on Wednesday in the upper 30s, but becoming windy as the storms departs to the NE, gusts could be as high as 45 MPH. Sunny and cold through Saturday, with highs in the low-mid 30s and lows well down in the 20s. Sunday should warm up into the low 40s with increasing rain shower chances as we head into the new week and warming up a bit more into the 40s. 

Tuesday's precipitation: 1.66" (LR) 1.83" (VP2) 1.18" Max Rain Rate (MRR) @ 2150 
November precipitation: 2.34"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 42.92" 

High temp 40.6° VP2 (2213)(RS 40.5°)  
Low temp 32.9° VP2 (0001)(RS 33.1°) 
Obs temp 36.1° VP2 (RS 36.1°) 
Peak wind gust 10 NE (2024)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (2058) to a low of 44% (0000)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 40° to 13°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.36"(0008) to 29.65"(2314)

At midnight obs the temp was 36.1° (VP2), Cloudy/light rain, Winds 6 WNW, Pressure at 29.65" and falling, humidity 97%, dew pt of 35°.

Currently at 0256 EST I have a temp of 37.1°(VP2), (37.0° RS), Cloudy/light rain, Winds 5 NW , Pressure at 29.56" and falling, humidity 97%, dew point of 36°. VP2 rainfall since midnight 0.38"

Radar is showing plenty of precip around the region, and plenty still to come from our SW over southern VA , NC and WV. Much of our heavier rain is now over the NYC area and parts of New England now.

Kevin the "wet Walrus" of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Wednesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Wednesday was cloudy and rainy for most of the morning, then it started to turn colder, particularly aloft, and the rain turned over to wet snow before ending early in the afternoon. Winds really picked up on the backside of the storm as it exited to the north and east. Skies gradually cleared, and temps dropped through the 30s into the 20s by late evening. Total 2-day storm total was 2.17" with the LR gauge and 2.43" on the VP2. I will be using the LR amounts for my records as of right now.  Clear tonight, winds still keeping up overnight. By sunrise I probably will drop down into the mid 20s. High temps in sunny conditions from Thanksgiving Day on Thursday through Saturday should be in the mid-upper 30s, lows in the low-mid 20s. Sunday should moderate some, with highs up in the low-mid 40s. A 30 POP for showers early in the new week, with temps well up in the 40s, lows in the 30s on Monday,then clearing off late Tuesday with temps remaining seasonably mild as we move into December. No real big storms on the immediate horizon over the coming week.

I got my computer worked on Wednesday afternoon, and it is really working much better, faster, and more efficiently. Thanks to Nick for performing overdue multiple functions to get the system running so much better! More work to be done next week so it should get even better then!

Wednesday's precipitation: 0.51" (LR) 0.60" (VP2) 0.47" Max Rain Rate (MRR) @ 0209 
November precipitation: 2.85"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 43.43" 

Wednesday's snowfall: T

Season snowfall: T

High temp 39.0° VP2 (1059)(RS 38.8°)  
Low temp 28.6° VP2 (2348)(RS 28.2°) 
Obs temp 28.6° VP2 (RS 28.2°)

Peak wind gust 24 N (1352)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0000) to a low of 59% (2206)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 38° to 17°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.06"(2358) to 29.54"(0416)

At midnight obs the temp was 28.6° (VP2), Clear, Winds 10 NNW, Pressure at 30.06" and rising, humidity 61%, dew pt of 17°.

Currently at 0444 EST I have a temp of 27.8°(VP2), (27.3° RS), Clear, Winds 6 NW , Pressure at 30.20" and rising, humidity 60%, dew point of 15°.

Radar is clear in the immediate 4 state area, but snow "streamers", flurries/squalls can be found in scattered mountain/leeward locations in PA, WV,NY,OH, MI and WI at the present time.

Kevin the "drying out/chilling down Walrus" of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Thanksgiving Thursday morning.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Thanksgiving Day Thursday, 11/28/13

Thursday was sunny and seasonably cold for most of the day, blustery early AM then winds slowly subsided. The evening brought in a "non-productive" cloud deck that will be lifting out by late morning/early afternoon on Friday. A good day for turkey and football, and catching up with some old friends online and on the phone. Overnight we should drop down into the upper 20s by sunrise despite the clouds. Friday should become sunny with highs around 40. Clouds more than sun should predominate thereafter through mid-week next week, with high temps in the low 40s for the most part and lows in the mid-upper 20s but with little chances of rain. Sunday may have some sun through partly cloudy skies, then on Wednesday we should see some sun, before a 30 POP for rain showers on Thursday as it looks right now. So we will be starting off the new month of December rather peacefully.

Wednesday's snowfall: T 

November total snowfall: T

(My apologies for not listing this snow information in my Wednesday report) 

High temp 38.1° VP2 (1437)(RS 37.4°)  
Low temp 26.2° VP2 (0734)(RS 25.5°) 
Obs temp 31.0° VP2 (RS 30.7°) 

Peak wind gust 22 SW (0116)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 76% (0900) to a low of 43% (1502)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 24° to 14°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.50"(2331) to 30.06"(0006)

At midnight obs the temp was 31.0° (VP2), Cloudy, Winds 1 NE,  Pressure at 30.50" and steady, humidity 72%, dew pt of 23°.

Currently at 0217 EST I have a temp of 29.0°(VP2), (28.6° RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm , Pressure at 30.48" and falling, humidity 75%, dew point of 22°.

Radar is clear in the immediate 4 state area, but scattered snow showers are still falling in some of the more favorable areas of western NY state, NW PA, OH, MI and New England at this time.

Kevin the "chilling out Walrus" of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Friday morning. Hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving!

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Friday, November 29, 2013

Friday was sunny and cold in the early AM, a tad milder in the PM, some clouds for a time in the evening, but cleared out and temps are dropping nicely through the 20s once again.  Also I noted in a special message earlier that I set my highest pressure reading for the year just prior to midnight at 30.75" which also is my highest record pressure value ever but take that with a grain of salt- my records only go back about 4 years to mid-November 2009. The pressure has maxed out at that value, it has now started to drop as the HIGH pressure starts to move to the east. Milder temps should be the rule the next several days, with high temps up into the mid-upper 40s. Sunny over the weekend, then clouds hanging around for the first part of the week, but no rain as it looks now. Lows should be in the lower 20s over the weekend, then upper 20s to low 30s during the new week. By Thursday night and Friday we have a chance at some rain showers (30 POP). Long range models bring a likelihood of colder temps coming into our area the following week around December 8-10. We shall see about that! So we definitely have a mild, tranquil start to the last month of 2013. 

Friday's precipitation: 0

High temp 41.4° VP2 (1437)(RS 41.2°)  
Low temp 23.1° VP2 (0727)(RS 22.1°) 
Obs temp 27.0° VP2 (RS 26.2°)   
Peak wind gust 14 E (1058)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 88% (0842) to a low of 44% (1439)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 25° to 20°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.75"(2357) to 30.48"(0059)

At midnight obs the temp was 27.0° (VP2), PCldy, Winds Calm,  Pressure at 30.74" and steady, humidity 76%, dew pt of 20°.

Currently at 0454 EST I have a temp of 22.9°(VP2), (21.9° RS), Clear, Winds Calm , Pressure at 30.73" and falling, humidity 84%, dew point of 19°.

Radar is clear in the immediate 4 state area, but there are areas of snow apparently falling in parts of MI, both upper and lower peninsulas.

Kevin the "chilling Walrus" of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Saturday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday, November 30, 2013

Saturday was cold and clear in the early AM allowing us to drop down into the low 20s, but mid-high clouds took over for most of the day, keeping temps in the 30s.  My high pressure reading of 30.75" from yesterday carried over for the first hour or so of today so it will be a two day shared record for the month of November and probably for the entire year of 2013. Partly cloudy skies have radiated fairly well tonight and allowed the temps to drop back down into the low-mid 20s. Sunny skies on Sunday should warm us a bit more than today and reach into the mid 40s.  Milder temps should predominate the coming week, with highs in the mid-upper 40s Monday through Wednesday, then into the 50s Thursday and Friday with increasing chances of rain showers late Thursday into Friday. Lows should mostly be in the 30s, low 30s first part of the week then upper 30s to 40 towards the end of the week. No real big storms in the forecast for the coming week as we enter December on a fairly tranquil note.

November total precipitation: 2.85"

High temp 37.0° VP2 (1426)(RS 36.9°)  
Low temp 22.0° VP2 (0615)(RS 21.2°)
Obs temp 28.1° VP2 (RS 27.5°)  
Peak wind gust 7 E (1209)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 85% (0551) to a low of 52% (1435)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 24° to 18°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.75"(0007) to 30.40"(2358)

At midnight obs the temp was 28.1° (VP2), PCldy, Winds Calm,  Pressure at 30.40" and falling, humidity 82%, dew pt of 23°.

Currently at 0525 EST I have a temp of 24.0°(VP2), (23.2° RS), Clear, Winds Calm , Pressure at 30.29" and falling, humidity 88%, dew point of 21°.

Radar is clear in the immediate 4 state area, but there are areas of snow shower activity scattered about in sections of MI, southern Ontario, norther New York and New England at the present time.

Kevin the "chilling Walrus" of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Sunday morning.

Archived