• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
What's the Weather Where You are?

terpguy

It is 47 degrees with a dewpoint of 29 and a refreshing northerly breeze at 15 mph with gusts to 27.

I am so happy I am almost in tears.

I LOVE COOL WEATHER and I hate summer.

I hope we fall into the upper 30s tonight and these refreshing breezes keep on all night. I love this weather so much. Temps in the house are falling into the 60s! :) :) :) :) :)

I just might run my fan all night!!!!!

It only topped out at 54 today!

This is the best weather in the world.

of all the cool places in the world, there are two I like the best: Barrow Alaska and Jay Peak Vermont

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
     Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Friday, May 24, 2013

Friday was a real change as we cooled off significantly behind yesterday's cold frontal passage and rainstorms, with cloudy skies and occasional light rain and sprinkles during the earlier part of the day.  The technical high temp for the day occurred at midnight and dropped from there and stayed in the 50s during the afternoon (PM max was 55.0° occurring at 1230 and at 1405). Under clearing skies, the temp has now been dropping through the 40s late this evening/early this morning and should hit around 40 by sunrise. The day has been quite breezy at times, and the breeze has kept up a bit and is keeping us from getting even lower temps, as the dew point has dropped into the mid 30s.  Clear, sunny weather should dominate the weather patterns through the weekend, with temperatures remaining below normal into next week. Highs on Saturday should reach the upper 60s under the strong May sun, then drop Saturday night into the low 40s. Sunday should see highs in the low 70s, lows in the mid 40s. Monday should see highs in the mid 70s, lows around 50. Tuesday temps should be reaching the upper 70s, lows in the 50s, then from Wednesday on through the rest of the week it should be turning warm with highs in the 80s and lows in the 50s to low 60s. No real big rain makers out there for the foreseeable future (the next 5 days that is).

Friday's precipitation: 0.06" (LR) 0.08" (VP2) Max rain rate (MRR) 0.17"/hr @ 0043
May precipitation: 3.80"   
Seasonal snow/sleet: 15.3"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 16.25"

Other data for Friday is as follows: 

High temp  64.1° VP2 (0001)(66.6° RS)  (P.M. Max 55.0° @ 1230 and 1405)
Low temp  47.8° VP2 (2356)(50.2° RS) 
Obs temp  47.8° VP2 (50.2°RS)    
Peak wind gust 26 NE (2200)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (0312) to a low of 57% (2022)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 63° to 35°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.17"(2317) to 29.74"(0313)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 47.8°(VP2)/50.2°(RS), Clear, Winds 4 ENE, Pressure at 30.17" and rising, humidity 63%, dew pt of 36°.

Currently at 0452 EDT the temperature is 44.3°(VP2)/46.8°(RS), Clear, Winds 4 WSW, Pressure at 30.17" and steady, humidity 70%, dew pt of 35°.

Radar is showing the remaining rain showers spinning SE from New England down into the NY/NJ metro area at this time.

Kevin the more comfortable Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Saturday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday, May 25, 2013

Saturday was a continuation of the cooler pattern of Friday, but with much more sun, only a few scattered cumulus actually. Wind kept up most of the day, which kept the temps from dropping overnight, and also tonight. Sunny weather expected the rest of the holiday weekend, with a gradual warmup the next several days.  Highs in the lower 70s on Sunday, lows in the upper 40s, then mid 70s on Monday with lows in the low 50s. Tuesday should continue the sunny pattern of the weekend, with highs reaching into the lower 80s and lows in the low 60s. Mid to upper 80s for highs on Wednesday through Friday, lows in the low-mid 60s. By Saturday we should be hot along with the sun with highs around 90 to get the new month of June off to a hot start. Hard to believe with snow falling in parts of the NE on Saturday that we will be so hot in about a week!

Saturday's precipitation: 0
May precipitation: 3.80"   
Annual YTD precipitation total: 16.25"

Other data for Saturday is as follows: 

High temp  65.0° VP2 (1816)(68.2° RS) 
Low temp  43.9° VP2 (0610)(46.2° RS) 
Obs temp  54.8° VP2 (56.7°RS)    
Peak wind gust 19 N (1840)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 73% (0600) to a low of 36% (1740)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 41° to 35°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.19"(0840) to 30.09"(1802)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 54.8°(VP2)/56.7°(RS), Clear, Winds 3 WSW, Pressure at 30.17" and rising, humidity 53%, dew pt of 38°.

Currently at 0509 EDT I have a temp of 47.8°(VP2)/49.1°(RS), Clear, Winds 1 SW, Pressure at 30.18" and steady, humidity 69%, dew pt of 38°.

Radar is showing the scattered light showers over KY and parts of IL, plus mixed rain and snow over much of northern New England and upstate NY.

Kevin the more comfortable Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Sunday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Sunday, May 26, 2013

Sunday was a continuation of the sunny conditions of the past few days, with lessening wind and a bit warmer temps, into the low 70s.  Tonight we are dropping back down into the 40s once again, but dew points have started to rise a bit, into the low 40s vs upper 30s yesterday. But alas the temp has just about dropped to the low reading for Saturday, so another cool night once again. Monday should see a continuation of the warming trend with highs in the upper 70s and then lows only into the 50s with more clouds. Tuesday should see more clouds than sun, high in the low 80s with a 50 POP for showers/storms in both the daytime and evening. Lows Tuesday night will only be in the 60s. Wednesday through Saturday should find high temps in the hot upper 80s, with lows in the mid-upper 60s.

Sunday's precipitation: 0    

Please note the following corrections to 2 previous days earlier this month:

0.01" vice T on 5/19 and 0.07" vice 0.06" on 5/24.
Monthly total below has suitably been adjusted.
May precipitation: 3.82"   
Annual YTD precipitation total: 16.27"

Other data for Sunday is as follows: 

High temp  71.8° VP2 (1815)(74.5° RS) 
Low temp  46.9° VP2 (0600)(48.2° RS) 
Obs temp  53.0° VP2 (53.8°RS)    
Peak wind gust 13 SE (1211)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 78% (0650) to a low of 28% (1731)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 45° to 35°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.24"(2355) to 30.13"(1707)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 53.0°(VP2)/53.8°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.24" and rising, humidity 72%, dew pt of 44°.

Currently at 0458 EDT I have a temp of 46.4°(VP2)/46.9°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.27" and steady, humidity 87%, dew pt of 43°.

Radar is showing shower activity in parts of the midwest, through central OH, IN, IL and into MO at this time. 

Kevin the more comfortable Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Monday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Monday, Memorial Day, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day Monday was a cloudy day, a bit cooler than Sunday due to the clouds, with some sprinkles falling in the early evening (not measurable, only a trace amount). Temps are much milder tonight during the overnight period, with readings in the upper 50s that will probably only drop off to the middle 50s as the dew point has risen now to 53 currently. Tuesday looks to be partly cloudy with highs in the upper 70s and a 50 POP for showers/ storms both during the day and in the evening hours. Thereafter the sun and heat will return in force. Wednesday through Saturday should find high temps in the hot upper 80s, with lows in the mid-upper 60s, except for some reason a bit hotter on Thursday with highs in the lower 90s. .

Monday's precipitation: T  
May precipitation: 3.82"   
Annual YTD precipitation total: 16.27"

Other data for Monday is as follows: 

High temp  69.0° VP2 (1544)(70.0° RS) 
Low temp  45.2° VP2 (0606)(45.9° RS) 
Obs temp  58.7° VP2 (59.4°RS)    
Peak wind gust 6 E (0859)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 89% (0613) to a low of 40% (1159)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 55° to 42°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.30"(0853) to 30.19"(1924)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 58.7°(VP2)/59.4°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.21" and steady, humidity 78%, dew pt of 52°.

Currently at 0218 EDT I have a temp of 57.7°(VP2)/58.5°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.20" and falling, humidity 85%, dew pt of 53°.

Radar is showing considerable shower activity over parts of west central PA and east central OH with a narrow plume of scattered light showers extending SE out of this mass into eastern MD at this time. It is this plume that was further west earlier that gave us our sprinkles.

Kevin the soon to be a more uncomfortable Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Tuesday morning.

Tuesday dawned cloudy with a brief shower around 0515-0520 which gave me most of my rain for the day. Gradually clouds gave way partially to clearing in the pm, with warm and muggy conditions. Showers and storms were in the region, but missed my location to the south during the early evening hours. Tonight the temps have slowly retreated into the mid 60s which won't drop much more by sunrise, probably only into the low 60s at best. Radar in our region is quite clear at the moment and should stay that way overnight. Tomorrow we start in on the heat wave, with sun and highs in the upper 80s. Lows all week will only drop into the upper 60s. Thursday and Friday should see sun with highs in the low 90s. Saturday should see a bit cooler temps (upper 80s) with a bit more cloudiness, then cooler still on Sunday and Monday, highs in the low 80s, with a 40-50 POP for showers/ storms as a cold front tries to make it through our area. The hope is for sunny skies with high temps in the 70s by next Tuesday, we shall see if that happens. After all, Saturday starts the hot summer month of June.

Tuesday's precipitation: 0.10" (LR) 0.07" (VP2) Max rain rate 0.81" @ 0515  
May precipitation: 3.92"   
Annual YTD precipitation total: 16.37"

Other data for Tuesday is as follows: 

High temp  80.0° VP2 (1809)(81.3° RS) 
Low temp  56.5° VP2 (0641)(57.2° RS) 
Obs temp  68.8° VP2 (69.6°RS)    
Peak wind gust 10 NE (1830)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0904) to a low of 64% (1802)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 69° to 52°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.21"(0042) to 30.07"(1814)                                                                                                                                      
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 68.8°(VP2)/69.6°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.09" and steady, humidity 88%, dew pt of 65°.

Currently at 0224 EDT I have a temp of 66.1°(VP2)/67.1°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.08" and steady, humidity 92%, dew pt of 64°.

Radar is showing nothing over the 4 state area after considerable action several hours ago. Showers at this time can be found in parts of MI, IL, NY, PA and New England.

Kevin the "growing more uncomfortable by the hour" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Wednesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Wednesday dawned sunny and warm and continued that way all day. At least we didn't hit 90 at my location like some other locations did in my region. And it was muggy with dew point in the mid-upper 60s all day, topping out at 70. Tonight we are still in the mid 70s early Thursday morning, and should probably only reach a low of around 70 by sunrise. A real launching pad for the heat and humidity to return strongly on Thursday, with sun and high temps in the lower 90s. It should persist in this pattern unfortunately through Saturday as we bridge into the month of June on a hot note. Lows will be in the mid-upper 60s to around 70 during this period. On Sunday we should see a bit more clouds, high temps slumping off a bit into the upper 80s and increasing chances of showers/storms as we head into the evening, as a cold front gradually heads our way. A 50 POP for showers/storms Sunday night, a 60 POP on Monday with plenty of clouds and highs in the lower-mid 80s, then by Tuesday sun to return with highs in the more comfortable 70s with dew points lowering into the 50s.

Wednesday's precipitation: 0  

Other data for Wednesday is as follows: 

High temp  87.9° VP2 (1621)(91.2° RS) 
Low temp  64.3° VP2 (0556)(65.8° RS) 
Obs temp  75.7° VP2 (76.8°RS)    
Peak wind gust 7 W (1435)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (0652) to a low of 48% (1626)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 70° to 63°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.13"(1145) to 30.07"(2002)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 75.7°(VP2)/76.8°(RS), Clear, Winds 4 W, Pressure at 30.10" and steady, humidity 73%, dew pt of 66°.

Currently at 0211 EDT I have a temp of 73.4°(VP2)/74.3°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.12" and rising, humidity 76%, dew pt of 65°.

Radar is showing nothing over the 4 state area. Showers at this time can be found in parts of ME, WI and over Cape Cod in far-eastern MA.

Kevin the "growing more uncomfortable by the hour" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Thursday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Thursday, May 30, 2013

Thursday dawned sunny and warm once again, and became just plain hot and humid in the afternoon. I technically reached 90 with my 89.7 high temp (I round to the nearest degree for my historical record) so that is the second day of the season to top out at 90 or more, as I hit a 91.5 high temp back on April 10.  Dew points ran mostly in the 60s all day, but did top over the 70 mark at times. Oppressive! And we were in a code orange Air Quality Alert today,and expected to have another one on Friday. This hot and humid pattern will continue through Saturday, with highs in the low 90s and lows in the upper 60s. Sunday we have an increase in clouds and a 40 POP for showers/storms ahead of a cold front pushing this way. High temps will be in the 80s. Sunday night a 60 POP and Monday a 70 POP for showers/storms with highs in the 70s with mostly cloudy skies. We should clear out and cool off by Tuesday and Wednesday, with sunny to partly cloudy skies and highs in the 70s and lows in the 50s.

Thursday's precipitation: 0  

Other data for Thursday is as follows: 

High temp  89.7° VP2 (1635)(92.5° RS) 
Low temp  66.5° VP2 (0638)(67.5° RS) 
Obs temp  74.9° VP2 (75.4°RS)    
Peak wind gust 8 E (1649)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 93% (0726) to a low of 46% (1333)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 71° to 64°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.19"(1058) to 30.10"(0000)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 74.9°(VP2)/75.4°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.13" and steady, humidity 76%, dew pt of 67°.

Currently at 0233 EDT I have a temp of 71.1°(VP2)/71.8°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.13" and steady, humidity 83%, dew pt of 66°.

Radar is showing nothing over the 4 state area. Showers/storms at this time can be found in parts of the Midwest in sections of WI, IL, MO and AR.

Kevin the "growing more uncomfortable by the hour" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Friday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Friday, May 31, 2013

Friday dawned sunny and warm once again, and became hot and humid in the afternoon. But by early evening it seemed that the sky was a bit bluer, the air seemed a bit drier, and it seemed a bit more comfortable.  But temps have dropped only through the 80s into the 70s even in the early morning hours of Saturday and the start of the month of June. Saturday will start June with a very warm and humid day, highs around 90, low should be in the upper 60s by Saturday morning. Clouds should be increasing by late Saturday and Sunday, with a low around 70 Saturday night and highs on Sunday under partly cloudy skies in the mid-upper 80s with a 40 POP for showers/storms ahead of a slow moving cold front coming at us from the midwest. Sunday night into Monday should see a 70 POP for showers/storms, lows Sunday night in the 60s and highs on Monday in the low 80s under mostly cloudy skies. By Tuesday we should clear out and cool off, with highs in the 70s and lows in the 50s. That pattern should maintaing most of the upcoming week, through Thursday.

Friday's precipitation: 0  

High temp  89.4° VP2 (1639)(92.1° RS) 
Low temp  65.9° VP2 (0643)(66.7° RS) 
Obs temp  75.4° VP2 (75.7°RS)    
Peak wind gust 12 W (1551)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 94% (0713) to a low of 44% (1621)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 70° to 63°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.15"(0702) to 30.02"(1825)                                                                                                                                       
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 75.4°(VP2)/75.7°(RS), Clear, Winds 1 W, Pressure at 30.04" and steady, humidity 70%, dew pt of 65°.

Currently at 0427 EDT I have a temp of 69.9°(VP2)/70.3°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.02" and steady, humidity 83%, dew pt of 65°.

Radar is showing nothing over the 4 state area except for one small dying shower over SW PA and northern WV. The frontal rain we will be getting on Sunday and Monday is currently just moving into OH from MI, IN, IL, and MO at this time.

Kevin the "growing more uncomfortable by the hour" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Saturday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday, June 1, 2013

Saturday dawned sunny and warm once again, and became hot and humid in the afternoon. But we had a bit higher dew points today, and we had some cumulus buildups during the afternoon and early evening. My observer cohort friend Rick H came over for an afternoon visit and to help to get the Radio Shack outside sensor and radiation shield all cleaned up and batteries replaced. Hoping that this will reduce the rather significant differences in daily temps between the RS and VP2 sensors. We shall see in the coming days. Tonight the temps have maintained in the 70s, though the dew point has dropped somewhat into the mid 60s. Clouds will be on the increase on Sunday, with scattered storms and showers developing (50 POP) in the afternoon and a 60 POP in the evening. High temps in the upper 80s and lows in the 60s. Monday should be mostly cloudy, slight chance of a shower (30 POP) with cooler high temps, in the upper 70s as the cold front passes through. Clearing up over Monday night into Tuesday, with highs in the 70s on Tuesday through Thursday, with lows in the 50s.

June precipitation: 0.00"

High temp  89.6° VP2 (1802)(92.3° RS) 
Low temp  67.9° VP2 (0621)(68.5° RS) 
Obs temp  78.9° VP2 (79.7°RS)    
Peak wind gust 11 E (1801)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 89% (0653) to a low of 49% (1803)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 71° to 64°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.04"(0826) to 29.91"(2353)                                                                                                                                      
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 78.9°(VP2)/79.7°(RS), Clear, Winds 5W, Pressure at 29.91" and steady, humidity 64%, dew pt of 66°.

Currently at 0514 EDT I have a temp of 73.8°(VP2)/74.3°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.86" and falling, humidity 73%, dew pt of 65°.

Radar is showing a thin line of showers running NE/SW through western PA/NY and just edging into WV at this time. The line will expand during Sunday's afternoon heating as it approaches our area. .

Kevin the "growing more uncomfortable by the hour" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Sunday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Sunday, June 2, 2013

Sunday dawned cloudy, warm and humid with highs in the low 80s after a warm night that only got down to 73 around 0630 (as the morning min). Storms and showers were on the way, and hit hard in the late afternoon/early evening. The thunderstorm that fell between 1715-1750 accumulated 1.25" in my VP2, then later on an additional 0.58" (VP2) fell between 2150-2250. Other pockets of rainfall occurred in between those times, and also up to midnight. The daily precipitation amount of 2.05" from the Lake Region Gauge easily eclipsed the old daily record rainfall amount for June 2, which was 1.45" set back in the very wet June month in 2006.   Lightning was frequent when the first round of storms hit, with very loud thunder, but it didn't last too long. The rain kept up though through most of the evening. During the overnight clouds will remain, a continued threat of showers will also remain (60 POP). Monday may have more showers and storms (50 POP) with highs in the low 80s. Clearing out Monday night, lows in the 60s, then Tuesday through Thursday look to have high temps in the mid-upper 70s and lows in the mid-upper 50s. More rain looks likely for the end of the week into next weekend.

Sunday's precipitation: 2.05" (LR) 2.26" (VP2) Max rain rate (VP2 - MRR) 11.52" @ 1723      
June precipitation: 2.05"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 18.42"

High temp  83.2° VP2 (1541)(84.4° RS) 
Low temp  67.8° VP2 (1855)(68.9° RS) (Morning min 73.0° (0625)) 
Obs temp  68.7° VP2 (69.8°RS)    
Peak wind gust 10 N (1715)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (2055) to a low of 64% (0000)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 73° to 64°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.91"(0008) to 29.84"(1650)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 68.7°(VP2)/69.8°(RS), Cloudy/lt rain, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.86" and steady, humidity 97%, dew pt of 68°.

Currently at 0224 EDT I have a temp of 68.8°(VP2)/70.0°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.86" and falling, humidity 98%, dew pt of 68°.

Radar is showing retreating rain showers off to our east/northeast over the Eastern Shore of MD and DE, northeastward into NJ, NY and New England. There are some light showers off to the W over parts of WV and VA at this time. They might give us a light amount of rain overnight.

Kevin the "growing more uncomfortable by the hour" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Saturday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Monday, June 3, 2013

Monday started out with some brief but intense showers as I was going to bed Sunday night, reflected in some of the statistics below. Gradually during the day clouds started to break up as the cold front passed through, and this evening has become more and more comfortable as temps have been dropping through the 60s and dew points sunk into the mid 50s under clear skies and light winds. We might make it into the upper 50s by morning. Sunny skies with highs in the mid-upper 70s to around 80 with lows in the low to mid 50s should be the rule through Wednesday. On Thursday we increase the clouds and humidity but only with a slight rise in temperature to the low 80s with a 40 POP for showers and storms as tropical moisture starts entering our region. 50-60 POPs for showers and storms should hold forth through Saturday, with highs in the 80s and lows in the 60s. There is the potential for some heavy downpours. Sunday should be partly cloudy with highs in the upper 70s. 

Monday's precipitation: 0.25" (LR) 0.29" (VP2) Max rain rate (VP2 - MRR) 5.49" @ 0244      
June precipitation: 2.30"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 18.67"

High temp  79.0° VP2 (1436)(81.1° RS) 
Low temp  66.7° VP2 (0707)(68.4° RS)  
Obs temp  67.6° VP2 (69.6°RS)    
Peak wind gust 12 N (1446)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (0211) to a low of 59% (1828)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 70° to 57°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.96"(2358) to 29.82"(1651)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 67.6°(VP2)/69.6°(RS), Clear, Winds 1 SE, Pressure at 29.96" and rising, humidity 71%, dew pt of 58°.

Currently at 0225 EDT I have a temp of 62.9°(VP2)/64.9°(RS), Clear, Winds 1 NE, Pressure at 29.98" and rising, humidity 76%, dew pt of 55°.

Radar is showing very light scattered showers over parts of northern Wisconsin, and offshore of the Mid-Atlantic.

Kevin the "growing a bit more comfortable by the hour" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Tuesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Tuesday was one beautiful early June day, one that would be nice to continue for the rest of the summer if I had my way (wih occasional rain interludes of course to keep us hydrated and not in a serious drought). Dew points were mostly in the 40s , temps maxed out in the mid 70s, beautiful sunny dry skies! Tonight the temperature has fallen through the 60s and now in the early Wednesday morning hours have fallen into the mid 50s. I suspect under clear, calm skies we will be dropping into the low 50s. Just noticed, however, that the dew point has risen to 53, which normally indicates that the temp will drop only that low by sunrise.  Wednesday will be a repeat performer with high temps 75-80 and still relatively low dew points. Temps should top off in the upper 70s for highs through the weekend, with lows in the 60s for the most part as clouds will be dominating the scene starting late Wednesday. A 50 POP for showers/storms on Thursday, then a 70 POP on Thursday night, mainly after midnight, then an 80 POP on Friday, 70 POP on Friday night and Saturday, lessening to a 30 POP by Sunday. We shouldn't totally dry out even into the beginning of next week, but temps should rise with a bit more sun and humidity into the low 80s by Monday. There is a good chance for spotty flooding rains on Friday night as moist tropical air starts to enter the region at that time.

Tuesday's precipitation: 0     

High temp  76.6° VP2 (1817)(77.7° RS) 
Low temp  55.7° VP2 (0639)(57.6° RS)  
Obs temp  59.4° VP2 (60.6°RS)    
Peak wind gust 12 N (0846)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 87% (0614) to a low of 40% (1830)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 58° to 44°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.13"(2235) to 29.96"(0000)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 59.4°(VP2)/60.6°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.13" and rising, humidity 82%, dew pt of 54°.

Currently at 0216 EDT I have a temp of 56.3°(VP2)/57.6°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.12" and steady, humidity 88%, dew pt of 53°.

Radar is showing scattered showers over parts of Wisconsin (they seem to be getting rain showers there quite often of late) plus some moisture starting to stream north over the deep south near Florida, hints of that tropical plume that may pay us a visit later in the week.

Kevin the "more comfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Wednesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Wednesday was another beautiful early June day, one that would be nice to continue for the rest of the summer if I had my way (wih occasional rain interludes of course to keep us hydrated and not in a serious drought). Dew points got a bit higher, up in the 50s but that is still comfortable for around here for this time of year. Temps approached the 80 mark but didn't quite reach it. Tonight it is milder with very light winds again, but temps are holding in the 60s with a high cloud cover that is not allowing the good radiational cooling like we had last night. We will probably bottom out around 60 by morning. Clouds will be lowering and thickening gradually on Thursday with highs in the upper 70s and a 40 POP for showers in the afternoon. Thursday night increases our chances for rain to a 60 POP as the tropical moisture from Andrea starts to move in from the south. Friday and Friday night should be cloudy and very damp, with showers and thundershowers likely (80 POP) that have the potential to drop heavy amounts of rain in many locations. Highs in the upper 70s and lows in the 60s. Saturday should still be mostly cloudy with highs around 80 and a 40 POP for showers/storms. Sunday should be partly cloudy and dry, highs in the low 80s.

High temp  78.3° VP2 (1638)(80.1° RS) 
Low temp  53.7° VP2 (0523)(54.7° RS)  
Obs temp  67.6° VP2 (68.4°RS)    
Peak wind gust 9 E (1311)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 94% (0659) to a low of 45% (1613)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 59° to 52°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.19"(0724) to 30.05"(2014)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 67.6°(VP2)/68.4°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 1 ESE, Pressure at 30.09" and steady, humidity 65%, dew pt of 55°.

Currently at 0159 EDT I have a temp of 65.4°(VP2)/66.4°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.08" and steady, humidity 68%, dew pt of 55°.

Radar is showing a general area of rain showers over parts of SW PA, E OH, W and Central WV at this time. Other areas in the midwest are also getting scattered lines of showers. Moisture is definitely on the increase in several places in the Eastern U.S.

Kevin the "comfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Thursday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Thursday, June 6, 2013

Thursday was a transitional day, on our way to a couple of days of rainy, damp skies. Clouds dominated the scene, and the moisture and showers moved our way from the south and west.  Showers started in the evening hours and has kept up most of the time since then, into the early morning hours of Friday. We are under a flash flood watch for most all of Friday. Generally 2-4 inches of rain is expected in the region, with greater amounts from I-95 and east. Temps will remain in the 60s overnight, then 70s by day on Friday and Saturday. The remains of tropical storm Andrea will move on past the region by late Friday night. But a cloudy, soggy wet Friday is going to rule our region all day. Saturday should see some clearing, but muggy into the low 80s with partial sun, and a 30 POP for showers/ storms. Sunday should be muggy also, with a bit more sun and highs expected in the mid 80s. Lows will be mostly in the 60s to around 70.

Thursday's precipitation: 1.12" (LR) 0.97"(VP2) Max Rain Rate: 1.22"/hr @ 2340    
June precipitation: 3.42"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 19.79"

High temp  71.2° VP2 (1135)(72.0° RS) 
Low temp  63.1° VP2 (0505)(64.0° RS)  
Obs temp  63.7° VP2 (64.9°RS)    
Peak wind gust 10 SE (2020): 3 other occurrences at this same intensity earlier in the day  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (2359) to a low of 65% (0000)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 65° to 52°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.09"(0000) to 29.87"(2355)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 63.7°(VP2)/64.9°(RS), Cloudy with light rain, Winds 1 NNE, Pressure at 29.87" and falling, humidity 97%, dew pt of 64°.

Currently at 0238 EDT I have a temp of 65.6°(VP2)/66.9°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.82" and falling, humidity 97%, dew pt of 66°. 0.07" has fallen through the VP2 gauge since midnight EDT. 

Radar is showing our earlier rain mostly off to our NE now, over parts of NJ, NY and southern New England. A different big slug of moisture from Tropical Storm Andrea has moved north through most of North Carolina and should be here in our area later during daylight hours of Friday.

Kevin the "comfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Friday morning

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Friday, June 7, 2013

Friday was our day to get paid a visit by tropical storm Andrea, but most of the interesting convection and winds stayed offshore and closer to the coast, and really all we got was a steady light rain, light winds, and very muggy conditions brought in from the tropical flow from Andrea.  Saw some pretty tropical cloud formations on the way home from work soon after the rain had moved north and east. Temps remained in the muggy 60s all day, rain lasted most of the day but quit around 1800 or thereabouts. We should be slow to clear out, with possibly some fog forming. Dew points were really close to the air temp all day, witness my very small relative humidity range all day as shown below.  Temps look to be in the 80s by day and 60s by night for the foreseeable future into the middle part of next week, with good to very good chances of showers and storms falling at just about any time from Sat aft through Tuesday. Wednesday through Friday of next week looks to be a bit more pleasant, with highs in the upper 70s and lows in the low 60s.

Friday's precipitation: 0.88" (LR) 0.79"(VP2) VP2 Max Rain Rate: 0.58"/hr @ 1543  
Thursday/Friday storm total: 2.00" (LR) 1.76" (VP2)
June precipitation: 4.30"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 20.67"

High temp  69.6° VP2 (1522)(72.3° RS) 
Low temp  63.6° VP2 (0001)(64.9° RS)  
Obs temp  65.3° VP2 (68.4°RS)    
Peak wind gust 12 N (2036)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 99% (1347) to a low of 97% (0000)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 69° to 63°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.87"(0000) to 29.61"(1807)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 65.3°(VP2)/68.4°(RS), Partly Cloudy, Winds 1 SE, Pressure at 29.72" and rising, humidity 97%, dew pt of 65°.

Currently at 0213 EDT I have a temp of 64.9°(VP2)/68.4°(RS), Partly cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.75" and rising, humidity 97%, dew pt of 64°.

Radar is showing our earlier rain moving well north and east up into NJ, NY and New England at this time. A few light showers well to my SW over southern VA but I don't think they will ever get here in the current state.

Kevin the "uncomfortably muggy" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Saturday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday, June 8, 2013

Saturday cleared out the early morning clouds from the last of T.S. Andrea quickly and we had a sunny, warmer day. Still moisture around and tonight we are down well into the 60s under clear skies.  Clouds should be on the increase on Sunday afternoon, with a 40 POP for showers/storms and a high temp of around 80. Sunday night in the 60s with the same continued possibility of showers/storms. Monday and Monday night should be cloudy with highs in the 70s to around 80 with a 70-80 POP for showers/storms. Tuesday the chances of showers/storms lessens to a 40 POP with high temps in the low 80s. Wednesday should be partly cloudy and warm, highs in the mid 80s. Wednesday night and Thursday sees a 40-50 POP for showers/storms returning, with lows in the 60s and highs in the upper 70s.  Friday and Saturday should be sunny with highs around 80-85.

High temp  79.3° VP2 (1814)(82.9° RS)
Low temp  63.3° VP2 (0707)(67.1° RS)  
Obs temp  65.7° VP2 (68.9°RS)    
Peak wind gust 9 NE (1350)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0000) to a low of 59% (1821)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 66° to 61°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.10"(2356)

to 29.71"(0001)                                                                                                                                        

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 65.7°(VP2)/68.9°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.10" and rising, humidity 91%, dew pt of 63°.

Currently at 0449 EDT I have a temp of 63.1°(VP2)/66.2°(RS), Clear/damp, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.12" and steady, humidity 92%, dew pt of 61°.

Radar is showing just a bit of showers starting to enter my eastern US radar screen from MN into western WI.

Kevin the "uncomfortably muggy" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Sunday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Sunday, June 9, 2013

Sunday was mostly cloudy with some sun - dry and clear early AM, and relatively dry, then grew more humid as the day progressed as a warm front coming up from the south approached our area. We had a sprinkle around 1900 that was not measurable. Showers approached my site as the evening progressed, but the rain didn't start falling till about 0100 Monday morning, so all the amounts from those rains will be on my Monday report. And it has come down as a tropical downpour type rainfall at times - with rates over 5 inches/hour occasionally. More rain expected overnight and also through most of Monday, with lows in the 60s and highs in the 70s and very humid - 90 POP during the day on Monday, 80 POP on Monday evening/overnight. Tuesday will be cloudy and muggy with a 40 POP for showers/storms, highs in the low 80s. Wednesday we have a brief window of sunny conditions, with highs in the mid 80s. Wednesday night a 40 POP for showers/storms returns, and carries us through Thursday and Thursday night (up to a 50 POP), then sunny with a high temp around 80-85 on Friday through the weekend to dry us out a bit. Flash flood warnings have already been posted in parts of nearby northern VA, with rainfalls reported over 3 inches in places so far with a lot more coming. Our region is in a flash flood watch through much of tomorrow.

Sunday's precipitation: T  

High temp  79.0° VP2 (1544)(82.4° RS) 
Low temp  61.6° VP2 (0612)(64.8° RS)  
Obs temp  71.4° VP2 (73.8°RS)    
Peak wind gust 10 NE (1010)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 95% (0652) to a low of 65% (2001)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 70° to 60°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.20"(0849) to 30.09"(1724)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 71.4°(VP2)/73.8°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 2 NE, Pressure at 30.11" and steady, humidity 85%, dew pt of 67°.

Currently at 0243 EDT I have a temp of 68.3°(VP2)/70.5°(RS), Cloudy/heavy rain with thunder, Winds 3 N (variable wind direction at the moment actually),  Pressure at 30.09" and falling, humidity 96%, dew pt of 67°. Current rain rate is 1.42"/hr - Precip since midnight (VP2) 1.25" 

Radar is showing lots of showers and imbedded thunderstorms to my SSW moving this way out of much of northern VA at this time. Looks like a lot of rain will be falling most of the overnight into much of the morning. 

Kevin the "uncomfortably muggy" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Monday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Monday, June 10, 2013

Monday started the new workweek off on a very wet note. The first few hours of the day featured heavy thundershowers till about 3 AM, and well over an inch fell during that period. Somewhat of a lull in action from late morning to late afternoon followed, with the sun coming out at times, but that just fueled the fire for the evening activity, which was more severe and noteworthy in other parts of the region. Flash flood warnings went out along with Tornado watches then warnings later, with tornadoes sighted on the ground with damage in the Woodbine MD area, and a few others. I only had 0.52" during this evening activity, but other fellow observers got well over an inch. Clarksburg and Damascus areas were especially hard hit on Monday with numerous closed roadways due to flooding and came in with over 5 inches of rain for the day. Flood warnings only expired a few minutes ago at 1:30 AM. They might have been extended, not sure on that. Temps are holding in the upper 60s with dew points the same right now, so lows in the mid 60s is about all we will be able to muster. More sun and humidity on Tuesday with highs in the mid 80s and a slight 20 POP for showers/storms. Lows this week will mostly be in the 60s through Thursday night. Wednesday should see mostly sunny skies with high temps in the mid 80s. Thursday might see another big round of rain showers and storms, possibly more flooding over the already saturated landscape (50-60 POP) with highs in the low 80s. Friday through Sunday should see an improvement to conditions, with highs in the upper 70s to low 80s and lows around 60.

Monday's precipitation: 2.33" (LR) 2.10" (VP2) Max rain rate 7.02"/hr @ 0102  

Daily amount set a daily record, and is the sixth wettest June day on record.
June precipitation: 6.33"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 23.00"

High temp  77.0° VP2 (1551)(81.0° RS) 
Low temp  67.4° VP2 (0337)(69.8° RS)  
Obs temp  68.8° VP2 (72.1°RS)    
Peak wind gust 10 NE (1610)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (0720) to a low of 85% (0000)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 75° to 66°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.11"(0012) to 29.78"(1823)                                                                                                                                        

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 68.8°(VP2)/72.1°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 2 SW, Pressure at 29.83" and rising, humidity 97%, dew pt of 68°.

Currently at 0249 EDT I have a temp of 68.0°(VP2)/71.4°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 1 S, Pressure at 29.80" and falling, humidity 98%, dew pt of 68°.

Radar is showing that our Monday rain is well up to the north and east over NJ, NY and sections of New England. There is a dying area of showers (looks like it may have been an MCCS) in SW VA that may make it to the DC area by sunrise if it holds together, probably affecting the southern areas of the DC region, if at all.

Kevin the "uncomfortably muggy" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Tuesday

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Tuesday calmed down as we cleared out yesterday's storminess and had a pretty decent day with moderate temperatures and humidity, and plenty of sun at times. Temps stayed in the upper 70s with lows in the 60s, and the 60s have returned tonight under clear to partly cloudy skies. Wednesday should heat up into the upper 80s to around 90 and cumulus should start building up as our next storm system starts to move in on our area. We have a 50 POP for some showers/storms on Wednesday afternoon, continuing into Wednesday evening and then a real good chance (70 POP) for powerful storms and showers on Thursday - biggest threat may be wind and flood problems. High temps in the 80s, lows in the 60s with a 40 POP for showers/storms into Thursday evening. On Friday we should clear out and start drying up after the rain, with less humidity and high temps in the upper 70s, lows around 60. That pattern should persist into and through the weekend, with highs a bit warmer, running about 80 on Saturday and low 80s on Sunday, with continued low humidity. Next week looks to be threatening with showers/storms once again, as humidity and a bit higher heat returns to our area. 

Tuesday's precipitation: 0

High temp  79.0° VP2 (1541)(84.0° RS) 
Low temp  65.4° VP2 (0614)(69.1° RS)  
Obs temp  70.6° VP2 (74.1°RS)    
Peak wind gust 13 S (1438)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 99% (0902) to a low of 64% (1542)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 69° to 64°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.86"(2257) to 29.79"(1814)                                                                                                                                        

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 70.6°(VP2)/74.1°(RS), PCldy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.85" and steady, humidity 82%, dew pt of 65°.

Currently at 0216 EDT I have a temp of 68.2°(VP2)/71.2°(RS), PCldy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.85" and steady, humidity 87%, dew pt of 64°.

Radar is showing scattered showers in WI, and a bit in Ontario between Detroit and Buffalo at this time. Also remaining moisture over Maine with showers lingering there.

Kevin the "uncomfortably muggy" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Wednesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Wednesday was warm and humid with increasing afternoon clouds as the much-ballyhooed complex of storms started building out in the Midwest and in the late hours of the day/early hours of Thursday started moving east/southeast and is now approaching our area in early rounds of what appear to be mostly showers with a few embedded storms just to our west. A bow line of storms, holding together for a good distance that might be enough to call it a derecho, is currently plowing through Ohio right now. Temps on Wednesday reached well up into the 80s with dew points going over 70 at times. Tonight we remain warm with temps only down in the low 70s early this Thursday morning. Showers should start falling within the next few hours here, before sunrise, and hold together into the mid-late morning. Probably will have a break then for a few hours before the most substantial, serious looking storms invade the area in the mid-late afternoon. Showers should continue into the evening, with clearing and gradually cooler and drier air coming in late. We should be sunny and dry, with lower dew points Friday through most of Sunday, highs in the upper 70s to low 80s with lows in the upper 50s or lower 60s. A shower or storm might be possible late in the day on Father's Day Sunday, extending into the early part of next week.  Flash flood watches are out for our area for most of Thursday, with more watches and possible warnings for other severe activity coming later as conditions develop.

High temp  87.2° VP2 (1808)(M RS) 
Low temp   65.4° VP2 (0525)(68.4° RS)  
Obs temp  75.7° VP2 (M RS)    
Peak wind gust 11 SW (1018)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 94% (0656) to a low of 56% (1640)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 73° to 63°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.87"(0830) to 29.78"(1808)                                                                                                                                        

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 75.7°(VP2)/M (RS), Cloudy, Winds 3 E, Pressure at 29.81" and steady, humidity 81%, dew pt of 70°.

Currently at 0250 EDT I have a temp of 73.1°(VP2)/M (RS), Cloudy, Winds 1 E, Pressure at 29.77" and falling, humidity 85%, dew pt of 68°.

Radar is showing a mass of showers just to our west with a few embedded thunderstorms scatted about the mass. Other showers and storms are mostly up in PA and will miss us to the north. A bow line of storms is currently moving swiftly through central OH and if it holds together may affect our area sometime later in the morning.

Kevin the "uncomfortably muggy" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Thursday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Thursday, June 13, 2013

Thursday was warm and humid with light morning showers (0.09" VP2), then a short duration but powerful storm mid-afternoon that gave me most of my rainfall for the day. My wind gust as usual was muted from the storm but that kept our power on which I am grateful for. In the area a few tornadoes were reported, and we were in a tornado warning from about 1500-1630. A flash flood watch was in effect most of the day, and a flash flood warning also went up as a result of our big afternoon storm. Of particular note at to its brief strength, my rain rate at 1550 was 15.57"/hr, most impressive. As a result of the intense rate, I believe I got a better reading today from my VP2 than the Lake Region, as it read higher so uncharacteristically I am using that for my official daily rainfall reading, unless proven otherwise. Temps got well up into the 80s just prior to the storm, then dropped noticeably as is typical with thunderstorms and cooling downdraft winds, and we stayed in the 70s the rest of the afternoon into the evening, then into the 60s with dew points dropping into the upper 50s in the late evening as more pleasant air worked its way into our region from the west. Clouds have remained so we should stay in the 60s overnight. Friday and Saturday should be dry and partly to mostly sunny with highs in the upper 70s-lower 80s and lows in the upper 50s. Warming up on Sunday a bit, into the mid 80s then clouding up Sunday night with moisture working back into the area, with a 50 POP for showers/storms on Monday and Tuesday with more clouds than sun, but still making it into the 80s for high temps. Sunny and seasonably dry weather should return by midweek, highs around 80 and lows around 60. 

Thursday's precipitation: 1.16" (LR) 1.39" (VP2) 15.57"/hour Max Rain Rate (MRR) @ 1550
June precipitation: 7.72"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 24.39"

High temp  84.2° VP2 (1505)(M RS) 
Low temp  66.9° VP2 (2243)(M RS)  
Obs temp  67.1° VP2 (M RS)    
Peak wind gust 16 SE (1551)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (0726) to a low of 64% (1507)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 76° to 59°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.81"(0000) to 29.46"(1611)                                                                                                                                        

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 67.1°(VP2)/M (RS), Cloudy, Winds 8 SSE, Pressure at 29.60" and rising, humidity 75%, dew pt of 59°.

Currently at 0237 EDT I have a temp of 65.8°(VP2)/M (RS), Mostly Cloudy, Winds 3 NW, Pressure at 29.64" and rising, humidity 72%, dew pt of 57°.

Radar is showing a shrinking mass of showers centered over NYC/Northern NJ, southern New England at this time. Also showers are offshore from the south coast of North Carolina, heading south.

Kevin the "growing a bit more comfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Friday morning

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Friday, June 14, 2013

Friday was partly cloudy, breezy and comfortable with dew points staying in the 50s and air temps staying in the 70s. The breeze felt really good. Had a few early morning sprinkles based on water drops on my car as I was leaving for the office this morning.  Tonight the wind has died down, but temps are dropping slowly through the 60s and may reach the upper 50s by sunrise. A more or less repeat show on Saturday, with temps perhaps a few degrees warmer into the low 80s, but still with comfortable dew points in the 50s but lighter breezes. A warmer and more humid turn to the weather for Father's Day Sunday, with highs well up in the 80s and dew points once again returning into the 60s. There is a 50 POP for showers/storms on Sunday afternoon and evening. Extending that threat through Tuesday evening, with partly cloudy skies and highs in the 80s and lows in the 60s. Wednesday through Friday should clear up with highs in the mid 70s on Wednesday warming to the low 80s by Friday under mostly sunny skies. Lows will be in the upper 50s to lower 60s.

The Radio Shack thermometer's outside sensor started working again this morning, so I have partial data for today. Tomorrow's plan is for my friend Rick H to come over and help me install a new backup Taylor digital wireless temperature system. We shall see how that goes and will report the results tomorrow night!

Friday's precipitation: T

High temp  77.4° VP2 (1640)(80.1° RS) 
Low temp  60.2° VP2 (0706)(M RS)  
Obs temp  63.9° VP2 (65.7° RS)    
Peak wind gust 23 N (0915)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 90% (0816) to a low of 43% (1654)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 59° to 52°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.99"(2350) to 29.60"(0000)                                                                                                                                        

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 63.9°(VP2)/65.7° (RS), Clear, Winds 1 SW, Pressure at 29.98" and rising, humidity 82%, dew pt of 58°.

Currently at 0404 EDT I have a temp of 60.9°(VP2)/62.5° (RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.00" and rising, humidity 88%, dew pt of 57°.

Radar is showing showers out in parts of the Midwest, in much of WI, IA and MN headed slowly E.

Kevin the "more comfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Saturday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday, June 15, 2013

Saturday was mostly sunny, a bit warmer, but still with comfortable dew points and light winds, high temps in the low 80s. I partially got the new Taylor digital wireless temperature system installed (my friend Rick H couldn't make it at the last minute), the remote sensor is just outside my window here in the kitchen, where I can easily monitor it to see how it is operating for the next few days. Through the early evening hours after installation, it was running 2 degrees cooler than the VP2 but over the past few hours after midnight has run about 0.5° warmer than the VP2.  I also cannot seem to get the reset to work to clear the memory of the day's max/min temperatures. Anyway, data is experimental so far since the sensor is not in its permanent location yet, so I won't list data from it below. Clear skies earlier let temps drop through the 60s but appear to be leveled off the past few hours as clouds have worked in. Clouds should dominate the Father's Day Sunday scene with highs in the mid 80s and a 60 POP for showers/storms in the afternoon and evening hours. Lows in the 60s, then up in the upper 80s on Monday with a 30 POP for showers, then a 50 POP for showers/storms Monday night and Tuesday as a midwestern cold front works into the area slowly. Tuesday through Thursday looks sunny and fairly pleasant once again, with highs in the mid 70s to low 80s and lows around 60 to the low 60s.

High temp  82.1° VP2 (1817)(83.7° RS) 
Low temp  58.6° VP2 (0614)(59.9° RS)  
Obs temp  64.0° VP2 (65.3° RS)(63.0° new sensor)    
Peak wind gust 11 N (1320)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 93% (0647) to a low of 43% (1822)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 61° to 55°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.09"(1004) to 29.98"(0010)                                                                                                                                        

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 64.0°(VP2)/65.3° (RS), 63.0° new sensor, PCldy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.03" and rising, humidity 80%, dew pt of 58°.

Currently at 0430 EDT I have a temp of 62.7°(VP2)/64.0° (RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.00" and falling, humidity 86%, dew pt of 59°.

Radar is showing light showers scattered through most of PA, but with the heavier shower activity well west out in most of lower Michigan, with more scattered activity in IN, IL and MO at this time.

Kevin the "comfortable for the time being" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Sunday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Sunday, June 16, 2013

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!!

Sunday was mostly cloudy, warm, and a bit more humid than Saturday. There were scattered light showers in the area, but I didn't receive anything measurable, but could have had a trace amount that I didn't observe.  The new Taylor digital wireless temperature system showed a high temp of 87.6° and a low of 62.4°. The low compares favorably with my VP2, but the high temp is a bit higher than the VP2. Temps generally ran warmer on the new system during the day, but as I got into the evening the new system cooled off quicker and ran lower than my VP2. Currently it is showing 69.6° while my VP2 is at 70.9°. Cloudy skies overnight should keep temps from lowering much more, probably just into the upper 60s. Monday and Tuesday should be mostly cloudy, warm and humid, with highs in the mid-upper 80s, lows in the 60s with a 40 POP for showers/storms on Monday and a 50 POP for showers/storms on Tuesday. Wednesday through Friday should be sunny to partly cloudy with no further chances of rain showers, with highs in the low 80s and lows in the low 60s. A first look at the weather next weekend indicates partly cloudy skies and seasonably warm, highs in the mid 80s and lows in the 60s.

Sunday's precipitation: 0

High temp  81.4° VP2 (1349)(82.8° RS) 
Low temp  62.5° VP2 (0135)(63.5° RS)  
Obs temp  71.2° VP2 (72.3° RS)(70.0° new sensor)    
Peak wind gust 11 W (1425)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 88% (0206) to a low of 60% (1315)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 69° to 58°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.03"(0053) to 29.89"(1654)                                                                                                                                        

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 71.2°(VP2)/72.3° (RS), 70.0° new sensor, Cldy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.93" and steady, humidity 79%, dew pt of 64°.

Currently at 0228 EDT I have a temp of 70.3°(VP2)/71.4° (RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.93" and steady, humidity 80%, dew pt of 64°.

Radar is showing showers running mostly E-W across south central VA into the Atlantic Ocean, where the stonger thunderstorms are still active.  Very light showers scattered about in parts of WI and MN at this time otherwise.

Kevin the "growing uncomfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Monday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Monday, June 17, 2013

Monday was partly cloudy, warm, and humid with showers in the area but not at my location, at least nothing measurable. Temps reached the mid 80s after lows in the mid 60s early in the morning. Cloudy overnight with lows in the upper 60s. Tuesday cloudy with highs in the low 80s and a 70 POP for showers and storms. A 60 POP Tuesday night with lows in the mid 60s then a high around 80 on Wednesday with a 40 POP for morning showers then partly cloudy in the afternoon and starting to dry out. The rest of the week should be sunny to partly cloudy, with highs in the low 80s on Thursday to upper 80s by Saturday, lows mostly in the 60s.

Monday's precipitation: 0
June precipitation: 8.02" I made a 0.30" error in my monthly precipitation back on June 10, so all my monthly total precip totals since then have been 0.30" lower than they should have been. The total of 8.02" reflects the corrected amount for the month.
Annual YTD precipitation total: 24.39" (I believe this total should be correct)

High temp  85.4° VP2 (1821)(87.3° RS) 
Low temp  66.5° VP2 (0636)(67.6° RS)  
Obs temp  73.8° VP2 (75.2° RS)(72.0° new sensor)    
Peak wind gust 7 S (1427)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 92% (0712) to a low of 58% (1730)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 71° to 63°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.96"(0819) to 29.87"(1713)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 73.8°(VP2)/75.2° (RS), 72.0° new sensor, PCldy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.92" and rising, humidity 79%, dew pt of 67°.

Currently at 0242 EDT I have a temp of 70.7°(VP2)/71.8° (RS), 70.0 new sensor,  Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.87" and falling, humidity 85%, dew pt of 66°.

Radar is showing one small shower over SW VA but the bulk of the rain looks to be falling through much of KY and TN at this time.

Kevin the "uncomfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Tuesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Tuesday was mostly cloudy, cooler but still damp with mostly mid-day light rain and evening partial clearing as our weak front finally passed through. Still cloudy out there now in the early Wed morning hours, with temps holding in the mid 60s along with dew points at about the same value (i.e. muggy out there!) The next two days should be sunny and seasonable, with highs in the upper 70s to around 80 and lows in the low-mid 60s. A  gradual warmup over the weekend and into next week, with highs working their way through the 80s to near 90 by early next week, with lows mostly in the 60s. Sunny skies should predominate by day, clear, starry skies by night. 

Tuesday's precipitation: 0.29" (LR) 0.28" (VP2) 0.53" Max rain rate @ 1311
June precipitation: 8.31"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 24.68"

High temp  73.8° VP2 (0000)(75.4° RS) 
Low temp  65.9° VP2 (2147)(68.0° RS)  
Obs temp  66.1° VP2 (68.4° RS)(66.7° new sensor)    
Peak wind gust 10 NE (1742)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (2357) to a low of 79% (0000)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 71° to 65°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.92"(0000) to 29.79"(1822)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 66.1°(VP2)/68.4° (RS), 66.7° new sensor, Cldy, Winds 1 SE, Pressure at 29.90" and rising, humidity 97%, dew pt of 65°.

Currently at 0251 EDT I have a temp of 65.3°(VP2)/67.8° (RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.92" and rising, humidity 97%, dew pt of 65°.

Radar is showing one small shower cluster just to my north over Carroll and Frederick Counties in north central Maryland with smaller widely scattered light showers over the region.

Kevin the "uncomfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Wednesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Wednesday partially cleared up, but moisture hung around enough to keep us from totally clearing out, and also kept us with dew points staying in the 60s. Max temps still stayed under 80, so we had another day that was cooler than it was in Fairbanks AK!! Tonight temps have dropped into the low 60s, fairly pleasant out, and we probably will reach the upper 50s by sunrise. Sunny and high temps once again in the upper 70s on Thursday, lows in the upper 50s, then a gradual warmup under sunny-partly cloudy skies through the weekend and into next week, with highs in the low 80s on Friday, mid 80s on Saturday, upper 80s on Sunday, then around 90 on Monday and Tuesday of next week. Lows Friday night through the weekend in the 60s, then dropping only to around 70 by early next week.

June precipitation: 8.31"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 24.68"

High temp  77.1° VP2 (1816)(80.4° RS) 
Low temp  62.7° VP2 (0556)(65.7° RS)  
Obs temp  64.0° VP2 (66.7° RS)(63.1° new sensor)    
Peak wind gust 10 N (0630)  
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0000) to a low of 60% (1820)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 65° to 61°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.17"(2359) to 29.89"(0626)     

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 64.0°(VP2)/66.7° (RS), 63.1° new sensor, Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.17" and rising, humidity 90%, dew pt of 61°.

Currently at 0242 EDT I have a temp of 61.4°(VP2)/64.2° (RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.19" and rising, humidity 93%, dew pt of 59°.

Radar is all clear through the eastern United States and Canada north of Florida at this time.

Kevin the "slightly comfortable" Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Thursday morning.

Archived