• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
What's the Weather Where You are?

terpguy

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday, March 23, 2013

Saturday started out cold and frosty, with another 26.8° low that tied Friday for lowest minimum value for the month (so far). Under sunny skies and less wind, temps climbed more, into the low 50s (Still a bit below normal for this cold month of March). Tonight under clear skies and calm winds the temp is once again dropping through the 30s but has not reached the 20s yet as of 4:30 AM. I look to see the low by sunrise to make it into the upper 20s. Sunny on Sunday morning but clouding up in the afternoon with a 20 POP for light rain showers scattered about the region with high temps in the mid-upper 40s. A 100 POP for rain and snow on Sunday night with lows in the 30s. After midnight it should be all snow with accumulations of around an inch by morning, mostly on grassy surfaces and car tops. Snow should continue through part of the morning, changing over to rain with high temps in the upper 30s to low 40s (still a 100 POP for precipitation). Monday night a 50 POP for rain showers continuing with lows in the 30s. Tuesday should be cloudy with highs in the upper 40s. Thereafter the rest of the week should be sunny with a slowly moderating temperature pattern, reaching the low 50s by the end of the week/weekend.

Saturday's precipitation: 0
Saturday's snowfall: 0 
March precipitation: 2.43"
March snowfall: 3.3"
Snow on ground at obs:  0
Seasonal snow/sleet: 11.2"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 9.43"

Data for Saturday as follows: 

High temp  52.7° VP2 (1626)(54.3° RS)
Low temp   26.8° VP2 (0724)(26.4° RS)
Obs temp   38.3° VP2 38.2°(RS)    
Peak wind gust 17 N (1611)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 79% (0810) to a low of 33% (1628)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 27° to 20°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.06"(1041) to 29.93"(1723)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight obs the temp was 38.3°(VP2)/38.2°(RS), Clear, Winds 4 N, Pressure at 30.01" and steady, humidity 56%, dew pt of 24°.  

Currently at 0506 EDT, the temp is 29.9° (VP2), 29.8° (RS), Clear, Calm, Pressure at 30.02" and steady, humidity 76% , dew pt 23°.

Currently radar is showing a line of precipitation extending in a NW/SE line from snow in most of Illinois, then rain showers through sections of IN, KY, TN, and NC, just starting to inch into extreme SW VA at this time. Also a few snow showers up in Maine and upstate NY.

Kevin the snowless Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Sunday morning.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
    Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Sunday, March 24, 2013

Sunday started out clear and cold in the early am, but clouds increased later on in the morning and afternoon and we had a solid cloud deck by mid-afternoon. Temps only rose into the low 40s. Sunday evening a bit of light snow started to fall on occasion, only amounting to a Trace on some surfaces. That was the first wave of action from pulses emanating from the LOW out in the lower midwest. The second wave should be coming in over the next few hours, around 4-5 AM with a bit more accumulating snow, like an inch or so. Might make for a messy morning commute, depending on how thick and fast the snow will fall and what temps we will be experiencing. Right now we are at 35.4 and when it starts snowing the temp probably will drop to the freezing mark. Under cloudy skies, temps on Monday will probably stay in the mid 30s with another round of precip in the PM, mostly likely light rain on that go around. Lows Monday night around 30, perhaps the light rain turning back to snow again before ending late as the storm moves off. Tuesday should still be mostly cloudy with highs in the mid 40s. Thereafter sunny skies should prevail starting on Wednesday and carrying through the Easter weekend.  Temps will slowly moderate, from the mid-upper 40s on Wednesday to upper 50s by Easter Sunday. Lows around 30 on Wednesday, rising to the 40s by Sunday.

Sunday's precipitation: T
Sunday's snowfall: T 
March precipitation: 2.43"
March snowfall: 3.3"
Snow on ground at obs:  0
Seasonal snow/sleet: 11.2"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 9.43"

Data for Sunday as follows: 

High temp  43.2° VP2 (1419)(43.5° RS)
Low temp   29.3° VP2 (0637)(29.3° RS)
Obs temp   35.7° VP2 35.8°(RS)    
Peak wind gust 12 NE (1034)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 86% (2209) to a low of 45% (1348)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 32° to 22°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.02"(0513) to 29.67"(2356)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight obs the temp was 35.7°(VP2)/35.8°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 4 ESE, Pressure at 29.68" and falling, humidity 85%, dew pt of 32°.  

Currently at 0223 EDT, the temp is 35.3° (VP2), 35.4° (RS), Cloudy, Winds 3 MPH ENE, Pressure at 29.60" and falling, humidity 86%, dew pt 32°.

Currently radar is showing snow just to our west and south, ready to move in to our immediate area within the next few hours. Rain to the east and south, snow to the west and north.

Kevin the soon-to-be snowy Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Monday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Monday, March 25, 2013

Monday was quite a day. And I wasn't feeling very well so when I saw all the snow out my window first thing in the morning, I just called in and slept all morning, convalescing as best I could. Cloudy and cold all day, with snow falling most of the morning, becoming light and mixing with rain in the afternoon. By the time I could get out to the back yard to measure my snow, it had already melted quite a bit due to the strong March sun, which can still get through the clouds at this time of the year. The temperatures all day stayed just above freezing, in the low to mid 30s.  Tonight clouds persisted and temps did not fall more than a couple of degrees, and have managed to remain above the freezing mark so far as of 12:45 AM. Officially there is still a 70 POP for overnight light rain or snow, some light mixed precip is showing just to my NW, but I don't think it will be much if at all. On Tuesday clouds should remain with highs in the low 40s and a 50 POP for sprinkles or flurries, mainly in the afternoon. Lows Tue night and throughout the rest of the week through Saturday should be around the 30 to low 30s mark. Wednesday should see partly cloudy skies with some sun, and a slow moderation should start to kick in, with highs in the mid 40s. Upper 40s and stronger sun on Thursday, then low 50s on Friday and mid-upper 50s over the weekend under partly to mostly sunny skies, with nice weather as it looks now for Easter Sunday. A 30-40 POP for rain showers on Monday looms on the horizon as of right now. 

Monday's precipitation: 0.48" (LR) 0.43" (VP2) 10.87"/hr. Max rain rate @ 1740 when a "mini-dam of water" must have burst through during the snow melt process.
Monday's snowfall: 4.2" 
March precipitation: 2.91"
March snowfall: 7.5"
Snow on ground at obs:  1"
Seasonal snow/sleet: 15.3"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 9.91"

Data for Monday as follows: 

High temp  37.5° VP2 (1614)(37.4° RS)
Low temp   33.0° VP2 (0626)(33.1° RS)
Obs temp   35.7° VP2 34.0°(RS)    
Peak wind gust 9 S (0059)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 95% (2103) to a low of 85% (0000)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 36° to 31°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.72"(2358) to 29.54"(1020)                                                   

At midnight obs the temp was 33.7°(VP2)/34.0°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 4 Calm, Pressure at 29.72" and rising, humidity 95%, dew pt of 33°.  

Currently at 0131 EDT, the temp is 34.4° (VP2), 34.5° (RS), Cloudy, Winds 2 WNW, Pressure at 29.74" and rising, humidity 96% , dew pt 33°.

Currently radar is scattered light areas of snow, mixed type, and rain showers in the region, generally moving east and eventually out of the area by morning.

Kevin the snowy Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Tuesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Tuesday calmed down quite a bit. The sun came out, and after another frosty morning (some scraping of ice on my car windshield with my wipers) temps rebounded up just above 50 by the afternoon. My dying snowpack died totally in the strong spring sun, save for a few artificial snow piles that don't really count. We had a bit of clouds in the afternoon, and I observed verga in a cloud mass just to the north of Gaithersburg on the way home from the office around 1915 EDT. Temps and winds are keeping up this evening, temps staying in the 40s up the present time, but about to go into the 30s. We should hit around 35 by sunrise I would think, unless an unexpected change comes in later tonight.  Sun and dry conditions should be the rule for the most part the rest of the week into the weekend, with slowly elevating temps from the low 50s on Wednesday up into the low 60s by Easter Sunday. We look to have some possible late showers on Easter (30 POP), extending into the first part of the week on Monday (40 POP), with clearing and chillier weather returning on Tuesday with highs around 50. was quite a day.

Tuesday's precipitation: 0.00" (LR) 0.08" (VP2 - water from the rest of the snow melting through the gauge.) 
Tuesday's snowfall: 0.0" 
Snow on ground at obs:  0"

Data for Tuesday as follows: 

High temp  50.3° VP2 (1619)(51.6° RS)
Low temp   31.6° VP2 (0710)(32.0° RS)
Obs temp   42.2° VP2 42.4°(RS)    
Peak wind gust 17 NE (1125)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (0057) to a low of 42% (1628)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 37° to 27°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.01"(2358) to 29.72"(0012)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight obs the temp was 42.2°(VP2)/42.4°(RS), Clear, Winds 9 MPH from the W, Pressure at 30.01" and rising, humidity 61%, dew pt of 29°.  

Currently at 0204 EDT, the temp is 40.0° (VP2), 40.3° (RS), Clear, Winds 4 MPH from the WNW, Pressure at 30.01" and steady, humidity 67% , dew pt 30°.

Currently radar is still showing scattered light snow out to my west and north in the mountains of PA, WV and VA - with some sprinkles in closer in VA that will miss my station to the south if they hold together.

Kevin the snowy Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Wednesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Wednesday started out calm and clear, and actually above freezing, but instability clouds came in by midday/afternoon and there were even some sprinkles around, though I did not observe any at my station, but on the way home for the second day in a row I observed virga to my north while on I-270 in the Rockville/Gaithersburg area. Can make for a beautiful sunset, like it did today. Temps were actually a bit cooler today, probably more clouds, and a bit windier than yesterday. Overnight clouds with lows in the 30s; winds have died down. Thursday should be partly cloudy with similar temps and conditions as on Wednesday, with a 30 POP for showers in the afternoon. Lows Thursday night in the 30s, then sunny and milder on Friday and Saturday, with highs in the 50s and lows in the 30s. Easter Sunday now looks like clouds more than sun, and a 50 POP for showers with highs in the mid 50s. Next week looks to cool down a bit again, with highs in the upper 40s first part of the week.

Wednesday's precipitation: 0.00"  
Wednesday's snowfall: 0.0" 

Data for Wednesday as follows: 

High temp  48.5° VP2 (1608)(49.6° RS)
Low temp   35.7° VP2 (0741)(36.0° RS)
Obs temp   37.9° VP2 37.9°(RS)    
Peak wind gust 21 NW (1632)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 75% (0805) to a low of 41% (1732)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 31° to 25°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.14"(2301) to 30.01"(0402)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight obs the temp was 37.9°(VP2)/37.9°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.14" and rising, humidity 66%, dew pt of 27°.  

Currently at 0221 EDT, the temp is 37.5° (VP2), 37.6° (RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.12" and steady, humidity 72% , dew point 29°.

Currently radar is still showing scattered light snow showers out to my west and north in the mountains of PA and WV - headed more in a southerly direction and looking not to get out of the mountains anytime soon, certainly not overnight.

Kevin the snowless Walrus (once again) of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Thursday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Thursday, March 28, 2013

Friday was mostly cloudy as more instability continued to pass through- some sprinkles around but nothing here that I know of. Tamps were about the same as yesterday. No virga observed today on the way home, but I did catch some crepuscular rays in the western sky as the sun was on it way to setting.  With the absence of the daytime heating, the clouds have dissipated for the most part, and it is clear and a bit milder this evening, with temps holding in the 40s through the Friday early morning hours. Friday should see a bit of rise in the temps and lessening of the cloud cover, with high temps around 50. Saturday should see temps rise some more into the mid 50s with a lot more sun and lighter winds, then for Easter Sunday highs up near 60 but a 60 POP for showers. Monday and Tuesday look to be a bit unsettled at first with highs in the 50s on Monday and upper 40s on Tuesday and Wednesday. A bit chilly for the Opening Day of Baseball! 

Thursday's precipitation: 0.00"  
Thursday's snowfall: 0.0" 

Data for Thursday as follows: 

High temp  47.7° VP2 (1245)(48.6° RS)
Low temp   34.4° VP2 (0536)(34.5° RS)
Obs temp   42.0° VP2 42.4°(RS)    
Peak wind gust 21 N (1213)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 78% (0525) to a low of 45% (1342)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 33° to 26°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.24"(2347) to 30.10"(0450)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight obs the temp was 42.0°(VP2)/42.4°(RS), Clear, Winds 3 SW,  Pressure at 30.24" and rising, humidity 66%, dew pt of 31°.  

Currently at 0226 EDT, the temp is 41.6° (VP2), 41.9° (RS), Clear, Winds 1 MPH from WNW, Pressure at 30.26" and steady, humidity 69%, dew pt 32°.

Currently radar is pretty quiet with just a bit of light snow shower activity over parts of Maine and light rain showers mainly in southern Illinois and parts of east-central Missouri. 

Kevin the snowless Walrus (once again) of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Friday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Friday, March 29, 2013

First a note about yesterday's report - I started it out saying "Friday was mostly cloudy ...." - naturally I actually should have said "Thursday was mostly cloudy..."  Too anxious to get the weekend started I guess! 

Anyway, Friday really was partly cloudy and milder, with instability lessening - this evening the winds died down around 2000 and have been calm ever since.  There were widely scattered very light showers/sprinkles still around on Friday, but I didn't receive any at my location. Temps rose into the mid 50s, almost normal for this time of year, but have dropped in the calm, now clear air tonight into the mid 30s.  We should drop into the low 30s around the freezing mark by sunrise in a few hours. Sunny conditions on Saturday with highs in the upper 50s is expected. Easter Sunday unfortunately should be cloudy with an 80 POP for showers during the day and evening, with highs in the mid-upper 50s. A 40 POP for showers continuing on Monday with highs in the low 60s and lows in the 40s. Thereafter the week should be mostly sunny but starting out quite cool for early April, with highs in the 40s on Tuesday, rising slowly through the week up to the low 50s by the end of the week. Lows should mostly be in the 30s with upper 20s possible early on Tuesday and/or Wednesday morning.

Friday's precipitation: 0.00"  
Friday's snowfall: 0.0"

Data for Friday as follows:

High temp  56.0° VP2 (1625)(57.0° RS)
Low temp   38.1° VP2 (0741)(38.1° RS)
Obs temp   41.5° VP2 41.7°(RS)    
Peak wind gust 16 NW (1417)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 74% (0811) to a low of 35% (1744)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 34° to 26°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.27"(0848) to 30.15" (1727)        

At midnight obs the temp was 41.5°(VP2)/41.7°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm,  Pressure at 30.21" and rising, humidity 62%, dew pt of 29°.  

Currently at 0428 EDT, the temp is 34.7° (VP2), 34.9° (RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.19" and steady, humidity 80%, dew pt 29°.

Currently radar is showing shower activity in parts of southern NC and throughout SC at this time, along with showers just moving into NW WI.

Kevin the snowless Walrus (once again) of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Saturday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday, March 30, 2013

Saturday was mild and sunny, only the third day in the month with a maximum temperature of 60 or greater (and we barely did that with a 60.4° high).  This warmth was preceded by yet another chilly morning with a minimum value just a few tenths over the 32.0 mark.  Tonight we are having increasing clouds from the SW coming in, ahead of our Easter Sunday rain showers that are currently moving in from SW/South-Central VA. Easter Sunday should be cloudy with temperatures in the mid 50s and a near 100 POP for showers, mostly in the afternoon, as a warm front pushes through from the SW. A 30 POP for evening showers on Sunday night, with lows in the low 40s, then mostly sunny with highs in the low 60s on Monday as we start off April and the opening day of baseball season but with a 30 POP for afternoon/evening showers as a cold front pushes through. Temperatures will cool off on Tuesday into the upper 40s under sunny skies. The week should be dry and cool, but slowly moderating as the week progresses with highs well up in the 50s by the end of the week, with a 30 POP for showers by Friday. Low temps should be in the 30s on Tuesday and Wednesday, moderating into the 40s by Thursday and Friday.

Saturday's precipitation: 0.00"  

Data for Saturday as follows: 

High temp  60.4° VP2 (1730)(62.2° RS)
Low temp   32.6° VP2 (0629)(32.9° RS)
Obs temp   40.9° VP2 41.0°(RS)    
Peak wind gust 11 W (1401)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 86% (0725) to a low of 25% (1559)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 35° to 24°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.24"(0932) to 30.12"(1903)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight obs the temp was 40.9°(VP2)/41.0°(RS), PCldy, Winds 1 WSW,  Pressure at 30.14" and steady, humidity 64%, dew pt of 29°.  

Currently at 0446 EDT, the temp is 39.8° (VP2), 39.7° (RS), PCloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.07" and falling, humidity 71% , dew pt 31°.

Currently radar is showing rain showers in SW/S-Central VA heading NE towards our area at this time.  It should take till late morning at least to arrive in our immediate area.

Kevin the snowless Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Sunday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Easter Sunday, March 31, 2013

Sunday was cooler and cloudy, with very light rain showers in the early afternoon hours that was quite less than expected for the day.  I was expecting 0.25" or more, though that was just a hunch, I didn't look at the QPF data to see what was actually expected to fall.  Temps only reached the low 50s, after a mild start in the upper 30s.  Fog may form in scattered locations overnight, as air temp and dew pt temp are very close to each other. On Monday, temps should only reach the low 50s once again and clouds once again predominate, especially in the afternoon, when we also have a slight chance at a shower (20 POP) that will continue into the early evening. Colder air will fill in behind this, with high temps on Tuesday only in the 40s with lows around 30 but sunny skies. Low 50s on Wednesday with continued sunny skies, but cold upper 20s under clear skies Wednesday night. Thursday should once again be in the low 50s, then a 40 POP for showers on Thursday night with lows in the upper 30s to lower 40s, then a 50 POP for rain on Friday with highs in the 50s and lows in the 30s. The weekend looks to start sunny with 50s on Saturday, but clouds returning on Sunday with a 30 POP for showers. You know what they say - April showers bring May flowers!

Sunday's precipitation: 0.04"(LR) 0.02" (VP2)  
March precipitation: 2.95"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 9.95"

Data for Sunday as follows:

High temp  51.0° VP2 (1251)(51.3° RS)
Low temp   39.2° VP2 (0513)(39.4° RS)
Obs temp   46.1° VP2 46.6°(RS)    
Peak wind gust 11 SE (0941)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 94% (1705) to a low of 64% (0000)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 49° to 29°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.14"(0000) to 29.76 (1809)                                                                                                                                        

At midnight obs the temp was 46.1°(VP2)/46.6°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.79" and steady, humidity 94%, dew pt of 44°.  

Currently at 0159 EDT, the temp is 42.6° (VP2), 42.8° (RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.79" and steady, humidity 94% , dew pt 41°.

Currently radar is widely scattered areas of showers in the Eastern US. An area of showers can be found in east-central New England, also another area is found east of Norfolk VA on the coast of northern NC and vicinity, plus scattered sections of the midwest.

Kevin the snowless Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Monday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Monday, April 1, 2013

Monday marked the start of the new month of April, but a continuation of late March's prevailing cooler than normal conditions persisted. Actually had a sunny, mild start starting in the mid-late morning after a chilling dense fog overnight burned off by mid-morning. I hit my max temp for the day earlier in the afternoon than normal. Winds kicked up with the frontal passage in the mid-afternoon, with some scattered showers around but not at my station.  Cooler temps started coming in by early evening, and temps right now are heading down through the 30s to a low around freezing by sunrise. High temps in the next few days should be in the upper 40s, with lows in the upper 20s through Wednesday night.  By Thursday we should warm some into the 50s, but then a 50 POP for rain showers on Thursday night with lows around 40. Friday should see a 70 POP for rain with highs in the 50s, then clearing for the weekend with seasonably cool conditions in the 50s to low 60s and lows generally in the upper 30s to low 40s. Increasing chances for rain showers by Sunday but only to about a 30 POP.

Monday's precipitation: 0  
March precipitation: 2.95"

Data for Monday as follows: 

High temp  63.0° VP2 (1311)(63.9° RS)
Low temp   36.5° VP2 (0721)(36.7° RS)
Obs temp   39.3° VP2 39.6°RS    
Peak wind gust 25 W (1526)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0818) to a low of 42% (1316)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 47° to 20°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.01"(2354) to 29.75"(1300)                                                                    

At midnight obs the temp was 39.3°(VP2)/39.6°(RS), Clear, Winds 3 WNW, Pressure at 30.01" and rising, humidity 49%, dew pt of 21°.

Currently at 0226 EDT I have a temp of 35.2°(VP2)/35.5°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.02" and rising, humidity 54%, dew pt of 20°.

A quick scan of radar shows scattered light snow showers well up in northern NY state and parts of New England at this time.

Kevin the snowless Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Tuesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Tuesday started off frosty cold, with sub-freezing temps early that only rose into the upper 40s by late afternoon. Plenty of sun, but this is about 15 degrees below the normal temps for early April, particularly on the max. Another frosty clear night tonight, with mins probably lower down in the 20s for Wednesday morning when compared to Tuesday. Wednesday during the day should only reach into the upper 40s once again. Another frosty night on Wednesday night with lows down in the 20s once again. Thursday should be a bit milder in the low 50s with increasing clouds late, and a 40 POP for rain showers on Thursday night with lows around 40. A 70 POP for rain on Friday with cloudy skies and highs in the 50s. Clearing out for the weekend, with sunny skies and highs in the low 50s on Saturday warming to the low 60s on Sunday, with lows in the 30s. 

Tuesday's precipitation: 0  
April precipitation: 0

Data for Tuesday as follows: 

High temp  49.1° VP2 (1630)(48.7° RS)
Low temp   29.8° VP2 (0714)(30.0° RS)
Obs temp   35.9° VP2 36.0°RS    
Peak wind gust 16 SW (1512)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 67% (0642) to a low of 25% (1736)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 23° to 13°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.20"(2353) to 30.01"(0000)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight obs the temp was 35.9°(VP2)/36.0°(RS), Clear, Winds 3 N, Pressure at 30.19" and rising, humidity 46%, dew pt of 17°.

Currently at 0219 EDT I have a temp of 31.7°(VP2)/31.8°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.21" and rising, humidity 57%, dew pt of 18°.

Radar shows scattered light snow showers well up in northern NY state and parts of New England along with some light rain showers scattered over areas of the deep south.

Kevin the snowless Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Wednesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Wednesday started off frosty cold, with sub-freezing temps early once again that rose into the lower 50s by mid afternoon. Tonight with really light winds and dew points still down around 20 the temps have been dropping the most all week, going below freezing before obs tonight and already in the upper 20s at 0200. We should have a low of 25 probably by sunrise, and that will probably wind up as our coldest temperature for the month of April.  Milder air is coming our way, with highs up in the 50s on Thursday with increasing clouds in the afternoon and evening, then a 90 POP for rain Thursday night with lows in the upper 30s from a storm currently forming well to our south right now over southern GA and AL, heading NE that may miss us for the most part. A 50 POP for a bit of leftover rain on Friday morning, then clearing, with highs in the upper 50s. Lows Friday night back into the low 30s. The weekend looks sunny,with highs in the low-mid 50s on Saturday and low 60s on Sunday. Sunny and milder on Monday with high temps around 70, the warmest of the season so far as it looks now.

Wednesday's precipitation: 0  
April precipitation: 0

Data for Wednesday as follows: 

High temp  51.6° VP2 (1617)(M ° RS)
Low temp   28.2° VP2 (0603)(M ° RS)
Obs temp   31.5° VP2 M °RS    
Peak wind gust 25 W (1506)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 70% (0605) to a low of 23% (1624)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 22° to 12°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.41"(2355) to 30.19"(0000)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight obs the temp was 31.5°(VP2)/M °(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.41" and steady, humidity 64%, dew pt of 21°.

Currently at 0227 EDT I have a temp of 28.0°(VP2)/M °(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.39" and falling, humidity 73%, dew pt of 20°.

Radar shows scattered light mixed precipitation around parts of the upper peninsula of MI and NE MN, also an area of rain down in parts of the deep south in southern AL and GA at this time.

Kevin the snowless Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Thursday morning.

Thursday started off frosty cold once again, with our coldest value yet during this recent "cold snap" which will probably turn out to be our lowest temperature for the month of April. Totally calm winds all night helped to drop the temperatures down into the mid 20s. We didn't quite crack the 50 mark for our high today, as increasing cloudiness started in the morning and put a lid on the rising temps. Reports by mid-late afternoon started coming in from areas in SW VA about snow and sleet with the advancing storm system from the south. The precipitation shield approached the DC area by early evening, and sleet and a bit of snow was reported in the southern and western suburbs, but precipitation did not start at my location till late evening, within an hour of my obs time. Reports of occasional sleet around the local area were spotty;  I didn't see any indication of it when I went out to the 4 inch gauge to get my daily reading.  Light rain is continuing into the early morning hours and should be out of here by mid-morning. Right now the whole area of precipitation is moving SW-NE, and my immediate area is on the northern edge of the precipitation shield. Clearing out of here by midday, we should see some sun in the afternoon on Friday, with high temps in the 50s. Sunny and milder on Sunday with highs in the low 60s, lows in the 30s Friday and Saturday night. Monday we look to hit up into the low 70s, and those types of high temps should persist most of the upcoming week, with a 30-40 POP for showers each day starting on Tuesday. It should be our warmest weather of the year during the entire week.

Thursday's precipitation: 0.03" (LR) 0.02" (VP2)   
April precipitation: 0.03"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 9.98"

Other data for Thursday is as follows: 

High temp  49.7° VP2 (1538)(M ° RS)
Low temp   24.4° VP2 (0717)(M ° RS)
Obs temp   39.2° VP2 M °RS    
Peak wind gust 11 SE (1413)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 85% (2359) to a low of 25% (1549)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 35° to 14°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.43"(0638) to 30.11"(2359)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight obs the temp was 39.2°(VP2)/M °(RS), Cloudy with light rain, Winds 2 WSW, Pressure at 30.11" and falling, humidity 85%, dew pt of 35°.

Currently at 0240 EDT I have a temp of 37.4°(VP2)/M °(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.01" and falling, humidity 93%, dew pt of 36°. VP2 rainfall since midnight up to 0240 is 0.06".

Radar shows the region covered with light rain and diminishing pockets of more intense echoes that are most likely sleet. The mass of rain is moving NE, and will be out of our immediate area sometime after sunrise.

Kevin the snowless Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Friday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Friday, April 5, 2013

Friday started off in the overnight hours with clouds and a bit of light rain, but not a lot. By the time I arose around 0800 the sun was out and the rain had left our immediate area, exiting to the north and east. A sunny, mild day ensued, much warmer than yesterday, reaching the mid 60s. (Our modest high of 65.3 is still the warmest max so far this month, but stay tuned, we will be getting warmer than that in the next several days.)  With drier air in again and calm winds returning over the past few hours, the temperature once again has dropped into the 30s early this morning. We should be just above freezing by sunrise on Saturday. A bit of a cooling wind out of an easterly component on Saturday should keep our temps cooler with highs in the mid 50s under sunny skies. Mid 60s should return with sun on Sunday, after a night with lows in the 30s. On Monday we should reach around 70 under sunny skies, same as Tuesday. Wednesday through Friday looks to be more in the 60s for highs and 40s for lows, with increasing shower chances as we head towards the end of the week.

Friday's precipitation: 0.05" (LR) 0.08" (VP2)   
April precipitation: 0.08"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 10.03"

Other data for Friday is as follows: 

High temp  65.3° VP2 (1615)(M ° RS)
Low temp   36.8° VP2 (0743)(M ° RS)
Obs temp   48.0° VP2 M °RS    
Peak wind gust 18 NW (1648)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 95% (0623) to a low of 24% (1709)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 39° to 22°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.11"(0000) to 29.83"(1607)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight obs the temp was 48.0°(VP2)/M °(RS), Clear, Winds 7 NNE, Pressure at 30.07" and rising, humidity 38%, dew pt of 23°.

Currently at 0416 EDT I have a temp of 38.4°(VP2)/M °(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.17" and rising, humidity 51%, dew pt of 22°.

Radar shows snow over most of the state of Wisconsin, along with some light snow shower activity around the Maine/New Brunswick border area.

Kevin the snowless Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Saturday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday, April 6, 2013

Saturday was mostly sunny and a bit cooler than Friday. Tonight there is a bit more cloudiness around, but temps are dropping through the 40s and should be around 40 by sunrise under mostly cloudy skies. Scattered light sprinkles may be falling within the region, mostly further north towards and in Pennsylvania and areas further north. Partly sunny skies on Sunday with highs in the upper 60s then a 20 POP for isolated showers on Sunday night with warmer mins,around 50. Partly cloudy on Monday with highs in the lower 70s. Tuesday and Wednesday look partly cloudy with increasing chances for showers (30-40 POP) and highs in the mid 70s with lows in the 50s. Thursday should see fairly widespread showers and cooler temps with the rain, highs in the 60s. Friday and into the weekend should see cooler temps with highs by Saturday in the 50s and lows in the 30s.

Other data for Saturday is as follows: 

High temp  59.3° VP2 (1724)(M ° RS)
Low temp   33.3° VP2 (0714)(M ° RS)
Obs temp   45.7° VP2 M °RS    
Peak wind gust 13 NE (0953)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 67% (0700) to a low of 21% (1806)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 27° to 17°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.34"(1114) to 30.06"(0001)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight obs the temp was 45.7°(VP2)/M °(RS), PCloudy, Winds 8 SE, Pressure at 30.28" and steady, humidity 48%, dew pt of 27°.

Currently at 0509 EDT I have a temp of 41.1°(VP2)/M °(RS), Cloudy, Winds 1 S, Pressure at 30.25" and falling, humidity 66%, dew pt of 30°.

Radar shows scattered light rain/snow showers which may or may not be hitting the ground over a good portion of the NE, including PA, NY, and New England, and also over most of the Great Lakes region, clustered around the actual lake areas.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Sunday, April 7, 2013

Sunday was mostly sunny and considerably warmer than Saturday, and in fact the warmest day of the year so far and first time over 70. The coming week will easily top that, and we will have our warmest week of the year so far. Partly cloudy skies on Monday with isolated showers possible (20 POP) with highs in the mid 70s. Lows the next few nights will be in the 50s to lower 60s. Tuesday we should clear and hit a high around 80. Wednesday should also be sunny with highs in the low 80s. Wednesday night should turn cloudy with the big frontal system approaching from the west. On Thursday we should see a 40 POP for showers and thunderstorms with highs in the 70s, then lows in the 60s on Thursday night with a 60 POP for showers and storms. Cooler 60s with a 60 POP for continued rain on Friday, then clearing out and cooler temps with highs in the upper 50s on Saturday. Starting to warm again on Sunday with sun, highs returning to the 60s.

Sunday's precipitation: 0   

Other data for Sunday is as follows: 

High temp  71.7° VP2 (1712)(M ° RS)
Low temp   39.5° VP2 (0700)(M ° RS)
Obs temp   61.4° VP2 M °RS    
Peak wind gust 17 W (1325)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 73% (0728) to a low of 33% (1604)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 43° to 27°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.28"(0012) to 29.98"(1440)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight obs the temp was 61.4°(VP2)/M °(RS), Cloudy, Winds 8 SSW, Pressure at 30.02" and steady, humidity 51%, dew pt of 43°.

Currently at 0227 EDT I have a temp of 59.0°(VP2)/59.7°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 3 SSW, Pressure at 30.02" and falling, humidity 56%, dew pt of 43°.

Radar shows a large mass of rain out in the western parts of the midwest, in MN, IA, and MO heading slowly east. Mixture of showers and thunderstorms developing out there in the next few days. Also a bit of rain shower activity over parts of New Brunswick at this time.

Kevin the snowless Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Monday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Monday, April 8, 2013

Monday was mostly sunny and even warmer than Sunday, and in fact the warmest day of the year so far and the first time over 80. The next two days will feature similar warmth, perhaps hitting up into the mid 80s on Wednesday with continued sunny skies. Lows will be in the 50s and 60s. The warmth is really hanging in there late tonight/early Tuesday morning, with temps still in the upper 60s after 2 AM EDT. We might make it into the 50s by sunrise but at the rate the temps have been dropping so far tonight I am not so sure. Late Thursday into Friday we look to get showers and thunderstorms (60 POP at least) and cooling temps heading into the weekend, with highs dropping down to more seasonable levels in the 50s and 60s with lows in the 40s.

Other data for Monday is as follows:

High temp 81.5° VP2 (1637)(82.2° RS)

Low temp 49.0° VP2 (0703)(49.3° RS)

Obs temp 68.8° VP2 69.4 °RS

Peak wind gust 12 E (1523)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 80% (0751) to a low of 29% (1717)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 50° to 42°

Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.08"(1017) to 29.94"(1832)

At midnight obs the temp was 68.8°(VP2)/69.4 °(RS), Cloudy, Winds 4 SE, Pressure at 29.96" and steady, humidity 51%, dew pt of 50°.

Currently at 0231 EDT I have a temp of 67.9°(VP2)/68.2°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 2 SW, Pressure at 29.98" and steady, humidity 55%, dew pt of 51°.

Radar shows a showers and dying thunderstorms up in parts of northern PA, NY State, northern New England extending north into Quebec at this time.

Having formatting problems with tonight's post. I don't have access to changing the font or color for some reason. So sorry about the plain text of tonight's post.

Kevin the snowless Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Tuesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Tuesday was mostly sunny and hotter than Monday, and was once again the warmest day of the year so far and the first time over 85. It did not set a daily record however, as the daily record for April 9 is 88 set back in 2001. However, with 85+ readings expected tomorrow, the record for April 10 is in real jeopardy (77 set back in 2005). Sunny and hot on Wednesday (nightime lows in the low 60s on Tue and Wed nights) , then still quite warm on Thursday with highs in the low 80s but with increasing clouds and humidity as the midwestern front approaches from the West. A 70 POP for showers and storms on Thursday night with lows in the upper 40s, then a high of around 70 on Friday with a 60 POP for continued showers. The weekend looks bright and sunny, with highs in the low-mid 60s and lows in the low-mid 40s.

Tuesday's precipitation: 0

Other data for Tuesday is as follows:

High temp 86.4° VP2 (1658)(87.4° RS)

Low temp 56.0° VP2 (0713)(56.3° RS)

Obs temp 74.0° VP2 74.3 °RS

Peak wind gust 11 S (0021)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 83% (0753) to a low of 33% (1704)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 58° to 50°

Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.09"(1105) to 29.91 (2359)

At midnight obs the temp was 74.0°(VP2)/74.3 °(RS), Clear, Winds 6 WSW, Pressure at 29.91" and falling, humidity 49%, dew pt of 54°.

Currently at 0216 EDT I have a temp of 71.5°(VP2)/71.8°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 2 SW, Pressure at 29.91" and steady, humidity 53%, dew pt of 53°.

Radar shows showers and dying thunderstorms over parts of NY state and New England, and a large mass of showers and mixed precipitation over most of the state of Wisconsin at this time.

Once again I don't have access to edits to the formatting of this post. No color, no font options. Anyone out there know what is going on and can help me? Thanks!

Kevin the snowless Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Wednesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Wednesday was mostly sunny and even hotter than Tuesday, and was once again the warmest day of the year so far and the first time at 90 or greater. It did smash the daily record as predicted last night, as the previous daily record for April 10 was 77 set back in 2005. I now have 12 separate days in April where the daily record high temp is 90 or greater. Thankfully the light is viewable at the end of the tunnel, and each day the rest of the week will be progressively cooler. Mostly sunny on Thursday and mostly cloudy on Friday with highs in the mid 70s, lows in the 50s, with an 80 POP for showers and storms on Thursday evening and Friday morning. Sunny and cooler temperatures should be the norm for the weekend, with highs in the mid 60s and lows in the mid-upper 40s.

Wednesday's precipitation: 0

Other data for Wednesday is as follows:

High temp 91.5° VP2 (1558)(92.3° RS)

Low temp 59.7° VP2 (0653)(60.1° RS)

Obs temp 77.2° VP2 77.0°RS

Peak wind gust 15 W (1246)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 78% (0736) to a low of 31% (1523)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 60° to 52°

Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.98"(0900) to 29.77"(2027)

At midnight obs the temp was 77.0°(VP2)/77.2 °(RS), Cloudy, Winds 2 WSW, Pressure at 29.82" and rising, humidity 49%, dew pt of 56°.

Currently at 0238 EDT I have a temp of 68.3°(VP2)/68.4°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 1 ENE, Pressure at 29.85" and rising, humidity 67%, dew point of 57°.

Radar has been showing showers and storms all evening, some MCPS activity at times, moving west to east from Ohio and points west through PA, NJ, NYC and Long Island and out to sea. No realy movement south, except for a bit of activity earlier east and northeast of Baltimore in Cecil and Harford counties. The action appears to be dying out a bit at this late hour, but should start firing up again during the day on Thursday, and setting up shop closer to our area as the day progresses.

Kevin the snowless Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Thursday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Thursday, April 11, 2013

Thursday was mostly sunny early but not as hot as Wednesday, It did set a new daily record high maximum for April 11, just surpassing the old record of 85. I might add that Wednesday's low temp of 60 (rounded up to the nearest whole degree) smashed the old record high min for the date of 52 set back several years ago (two separate years). Thursday's min of 57 tied the old record high min for April 11. We shouldn't be setting any more heat records for a while in the coming several days. Interestingly enough late this afternoon/early this evening a back door cold front came through from the east, bringing cooling easterly component winds, dropping the temperature about 20° in two hours from about 1830 to 2030 (80 to 60 roughly). We have turned cloudy and temps have continued to drop through the 50s into the low 50s now. Overnight rain (100 POP) doesn't look to get here for a few more hours, towards sunrise. It is moving in gradually from the west. A 100 POP for continued rain on Friday with highs in the low 70s, then clearing off Friday night with lows in the upper 40s. It should be sunny and peaceful over the weekend, wtih highs in the low 60s and lows in the low-mid 40s. A warmup with more chances for spring showers looks to be in the cards for early next week.

Thursday's precipitation: 0

High temp 85.8° VP2 (1627)(86.5° RS)

Low temp 57.0° VP2 (2357)(57.6° RS) (Morning min 59.7 @ 0705 (VP2))

Obs temp 57.0° VP2 57.6°RS

Peak wind gust 28 NW (0031)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 87% (0752) to a low of 41% (1430)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 63° to 53°

Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.89"(0051) to 29.72"(1740)

At midnight obs the temp was 57.0°(VP2)/57.6 °(RS), Cloudy, Winds 8 NE, Pressure at 29.81" and steady, humidity 86%, dew pt of 53°.

Currently at 0236 EDT I have a temp of 53.8°(VP2)/54.3°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 4 ENE, Pressure at 29.80" and steady, humidity 91%, dew pt of 51°.

Radar has been showing rain to our west out in the mountains of WV and SW VA and western PA, indivdual cells moving NE but the entire mass moving E gradually towards our area. Rain looks to be arriving around sunrise as I see it right now.

Kevin the snowless Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Friday morning. Still can't figure out where my formatting options disappeared to.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Friday, April 12, 2013

Friday was an interesting day with many things happening. Cool, cloudy beginning, with the day's rainfall occurring between 0600 and 0900. Then we stayed cloudy through the rest of the morning, warming up gradually into the low 70s in the afternoon with a bit of sun at times. In the early evening, buildups of cumulus were noted on my way home from work, and a severe thunderstorm warning was issued around 1900 for the area just to my north. No action here but the northern reaches of Montgomery County did get a decent thunderstorm around 1930-1945. Cooler air came in gradually and we now are drying out a bit as we head down into the 40s early Saturday. The morning rain occurred in the cool air, but the actual front was well to the west, and didn't pass through till the evening. The weekend looks cool and sunny, with highs in the low-mid 60s and lows around 40 on Saturday, then mid 60s on Sunday with clouds increasing Sunday night into Monday, lows in the upper 40s and highs around 70 on Monday. Monday-Tuesday look dry and seasonable with highs around 70 and lows in the 50s. By Wednesday our rain chances start to increase (30 POP) with temps mostly in the 60s. Rain chances increase to 60 POP by Friday with showers becoming more numerous and frequent. April showers bring May flowers- remember that! .

Friday's precipitation: 0.50" (LR) 0.46" (VP2) 2.73" Max Rain Rate (MRR) @ 0740

April precipitation: 0.58"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 10.53"

High temp 74.0° VP2 (1714)(74.1° RS)

Low temp 51.8° VP2 (2355)(52.5° RS)

Obs temp 51.8° VP2 52.7°RS

Peak wind gust 16 NE (0637)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0821) to a low of 72% (1716)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 65° to 50°

Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.82"(0013) to 29.57"(1735)

At midnight obs the temp was 51.8°(VP2)/52.7 °(RS), Cloudy, Winds 10 NW, Pressure at 29.78" and rising, humidity 92%, dew pt of 50°.

Currently at 0440 EDT I have a temp of 47.5°(VP2)/48.2°(RS), PCldy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.86" and rising, humidity 75%, dew pt of 40°.

Radar is showing that the precip has exited north and east fast, with light snow scattered about Maine/northern New England, with scattered light snow also occuring in parts of WI at this time.

Kevin the snowless Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Saturday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday, April 13, 2013

Saturday was a peaceful day with sun and closer to seasonable temps/conditions. Local flowering fruit trees are peaking this weekend. Fast process this year after a colder than normal early spring. We warmed up greatly this past week and the budding process was quite accelerated this week. Tonight it is clear with temps returning to the 40s and dew points in the 30s. Sunday should be sunny with highs in the upper 60s. Partly cloudy on Monday with highs around 70. The mid-week period should be sunny-partly cloudy with seasonable temps around 70 Tuesday then mid-upper 70s on Wednesday. Shower chances start to increase on Thursday (30 POP) with temps in the 70s, then a 50 POP for showers on Thursday night and a 60 POP for showers on Friday - cooler temps under cloudy skies with highs in the 60s. Clearing and cooler weather returns for the weekend as it looks at this point.

High temp 70.8° VP2 (1714)(71.4° RS)

Low temp 44.5° VP2 (0701)(45.1° RS)

Obs temp 50.8° VP2 51.4°RS

Peak wind gust 16 W (1103)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 92% (0000) to a low of 32% (1750)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 50° to 35°

Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.96"(2349) to 29.78"(0000)

At midnight obs the temp was 50.8°(VP2)/51.4°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.96" and rising, humidity 77%, dew pt of 44°.

Currently at 0438 EDT I have a temp of 44.4°(VP2)/44.8°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.01" and rising, humidity 78%, dew pt of 38°.

Radar is showing that light mixed precip over eastern ME into New Brunswick, scattered light precip in parts of WI, IL and Iowa at this time.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Sunday, April 14, 2013

Sunday was another peaceful weekend day with sun and seasonable temperatures. Local flowering fruit trees continued to peak the entire weekend. Too bad I had a ton of work to get caught up on and didn't get out at all. And it wasn't with the taxes, though I found my important documentation for filing this week. Tonight it has turned cloudy and showers are to our south/southwest but are not expected to move "en-masse" into our immediate area, with only a 20 POP for an isolated shower on Monday morning. Most of the week looks cloudy and mild, with highs in the 70s and lows in the 50s with a 30 POP for showers most all week till Friday, when the showers should become more numerous and frequent, under a 60-70 POP but with temps still in the 70s. Finally cooling off next weekend, with highs in the 60s and lows in the 40s, cloudy Saturday, sunny Sunday.

High temp 66.5° VP2 (1706)(67.6° RS)

Low temp 41.1° VP2 (0655)(41.5° RS)

Obs temp 58.1° VP2 58.8°RS

Peak wind gust 15 N (1107)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 86% (0637) to a low of 34% (1601)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 44° to 35°

Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.16"(1024) to 29.96"(0001)

At midnight obs the temp was 58.1°(VP2)/58.8 °(RS), Cloudy, Winds 1 SE, Pressure at 30.13" and steady, humidity 52%, dew pt of 40°.

Currently at 0214 EDT I have a temp of 56.8°(VP2)/57.4°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.14" and steady, humidity 61%, dew pt of 43°.

Radar is showing showers well to my south and southwest, heading northeast somewhat but very light returns closer to home with the rain not reaching the ground. I think this area is going to erode as it draws closer with just an isolated shot at a shower scattered about through the morning hours.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Monday, April 15, 2013

Finally figured out how to make my post look spiffier again. A little button up in the top left of my screen- the BBCode Mode button. Nice to find it and to make it easier for me to read my own post! ,

Monday was a cloudy, damp day with morning sprinkles and a bit of evening drizzle. We had a damp easterly flow for most the day. Tonight has continued with the clouds and damp conditions. It looks like it will remain cloudy for the rest of the week, with a 30 POP for showers through Wednesday, then cloudy on Thursday then a 60-70 POP for showers on Friday. Temps will mostly be in the 70s, lows in the 50s. Over the weekend a cooling trend, with clouds on Saturday and sunny skies on Sunday, with highs in the 60s and lows in the 40s. I will be out of town for the next 3 days, so no reports till late Thursday or Friday unless I get unexpected internet access up in the area where I will be. Will be searching for old snow drifts from the past winter way up in the highest parts of the West Virginia mountains the next few days. Hopefully will post a summary with pictures soon after I get back. Areas planning to visit include: Canaan Valley, Dolly Sods, Spruce Knob, Snowshoe, Sinks of Gandy, Job Knob, and a variety of other locations.

Monday's precipitation: T 

High temp  64.3° VP2 (1430)(65.1° RS)
Low temp  54.5° VP2 (0332)(55.0° RS) 
Obs temp  57.1° VP2 57.9°RS    
Peak wind gust 13 E (1312)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 84% (0801) to a low of 52% (0000)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 52° to 40°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.29"(2331) to 30.13"(0000)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight obs the temp was 57.1°(VP2)/57.9°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 7 E, Pressure at 30.29" and rising, humidity 71%, dew pt of 48°.

Currently at 0201 EDT I have a temp of 56.7°(VP2)/57.6°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.28" and steady, humidity 75%, dew pt of 49°.

Radar is showing showers running through Michigan and Illinois in a NE/SW line at this time. Very light returns ahead of it, probably not reaching the ground, running through parts of the eastern Great Lakes/Appalachian areas.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Thursday, April 18, 2013

I have been away on a snow drift hunt up in the high country of West Virginia since late Tuesday morning, arriving back home late Thursday afternoon. No internet access, no cell phone service to speak of, so I could not report. We had a successful trip, finding several snow drifts of various sizes and depths, in very interesting and beautiful mountain environments, at as low as about 3000 feet and and as high as the highest point in West Virginia, Spruce Knob, at 4863 feet and many other elevations in between. We had a brief thunderstorm Tue night up there, with .30" of rain (data from the Canaan Valley CRN station up there). Meanwhile back home temps have been hitting 70s highs and 50s for lows from Tue-Thur, with 0.03" of rain on Wed and 0.06" of rain on Thursday while I was away. My VP2 seemed to have done its job and I have downloaded all the data while I was away. If anyone wants any other specific data from Tuesday or Wednesday let me know but for now I am going to just post a report for Thursday. 

Thursday was damp with occasional showers in the morning, then hazy, humid partly cloudy skies in the afternoon. Dew points reached the mid 60s by midday. Tonight it is warm and damp, with temps holding in the 60s and dew points round 60. We may have some fog forming overnight and definitely cloudy later with afternoon and evening showers and thundershowers ahead of a strong cold front that is currently roaring through the eastern parts of the Midwest. Temps should be in the upper 70s on Friday before the showers and storms hit and drop the temps naturally into the 60s near the dew point temperature. Clearing and gradually colder temps on Friday night, with clear skies and much cooler temps over the weekend with high temps only around 60 on Saturday and upper 50s on Sunday with lows around 40 on Sat and upper 30s on Sunday night.  It looks to stay cool into next week, more on that tomorrow.

Thursday's precipitation: 0.06" (VP2 and LR) Max rain rate: 0.26" @0849 
April precipitation: 0.67"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 10.62"

High temp  76.4° VP2 (1700)(M° RS)
Low temp  58.0° VP2 (0700)(M° RS) 
Obs temp  65.2° VP2 66.2°RS    
Peak wind gust 15 E (1626) 
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (1110) to a low of 59% (1745)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 66° to 55°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.23"(0025) to 30.00"(2350)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight obs the temp was 65.2°(VP2)/66.2°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 7 SE, Pressure at 30.00" and falling, humidity 80%, dew pt of 59°.

Currently at 0212 EDT I have a temp of 63.7°(VP2)/65.3°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 4 ESE, Pressure at 29.95" and falling, humidity 84%, dew pt of 59°.

Radar is showing a basically N-S line of showers running through Michigan, Indiana and western portions of TN and KY at this time, heading east towards our area for Friday.

Kevin the snowless Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Friday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station for Friday, April 19, 2013

Friday was the big change day, from warm and humid conditions through the morning into the afternoon, then evening showers and thunderstorms associated with a strong cold front from the Midwest, then much cooler air coming in late evening and during the overnight, dropping us into the upper 40s by midnight. The entire region was in a tornado watch for much of the day, from mid-afternoon till 10 PM, with evening severe thunderstorm warnings posted for much of the region also. I didn't consider the storm we got at my location severe. The thunderstorm was only significant in my location from the aspect of a decent amount of rain, much needed to relieve recent dry conditions.  The 1.57" of rain that fell Friday was the most daily rain I have had at my station since the 3.00" that fell back on January 30. We should have a sunny and cool weekend, with high temps around 60 and lows in the 40s. Continuing this pattern onto Monday, then midweek we should warm a bit into the upper 60s with lows around 50 and a 30 POP for showers. Cooling off into the lower 60s towards the end of the week with partly sunny to sunny skies - lows back down into the 40s.

Friday's precipitation: 1.57" (LR) 1.38" (VP2) Max rain rate: 1.34" @ 1925
April precipitation: 2.24"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 12.19"

High temp  75.5° VP2 (1437)(77.0° RS)
Low temp  49.6° VP2 (2353)(51.4° RS)
Obs temp  49.6° VP2 51.4°RS    
Peak wind gust 18 W (1920)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 95% (1943) to a low of 69% (1447)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 68° to 47°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.00"(0000) to 29.60 (1852)                                                                                                                                        

At midnight EDT obs the temp was 49.6°(VP2)/51.4°(RS), Cloudy/light rain, Winds 1 SSW, Pressure at 29.81" and rising, humidity 93%, dew pt of 48°.

Currently at 0348 EDT I have a temp of 49.5°(VP2)/50.9°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 4 NW, Pressure at 29.88" and rising, humidity 63%, dew pt of 37°.

Radar is showing a retreating area of showers and dying storms slowly moving E and N out of the area, up into New Jersey, New York, and New England.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday, April 20, 2013

Saturday was more peaceful than Friday, after a bit of light rain right after obs last night and clouds through most of the overnight, yielding to clearing in the later morning (not sure exactly when since I slept the morning away), with much cooler and drier conditions.  Temps had dropped into the mid 40s at and just after sunrise, then rose slowly into the 50s in the afternoon. Under clear skies temps have dropped into and through most of the 40s by 4 AM and should drop a few more degrees by sunrise into the mid or upper 30s. Freeze warnings are out just to my north and west. Sunny and cool weather should continue on Sunday and Monday, with high temps in the 50s and lows in the upper 30s to low 40s. A bit of cloudiness on Tuesday and a moderating trend with highs in the 60s and lows in the 40s carrying into Wednesday, with a 40 POP for showers in the midweek period. Thursday and Friday should clear out with seasonably cool highs in the low to mid 60s and lows mainly in the 40s.

Saturday's precipitation: 0.01" (LR and VP2)  
April precipitation: 2.25"
Annual YTD precipitation total: 12.20"

High temp 59.4° VP2 (1704)(61.9° RS)
Low temp  44.0° VP2 (0815)(45.3° RS) 
Obs temp  45.3° VP2 46.4°RS    
Peak wind gust 18 SW (1522) 
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 94% (0043) to a low of 32% (1651)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 48° to 28°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.35"(2334) to 29.79"(0101)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 45.3°(VP2)/46.4°(RS), Clear, Winds 4 NNW, Pressure at 30.35" and rising, humidity 54%, dew pt of 29°.

Currently at 0443 EDT I have a temp of 39.8°(VP2)/40.5°(RS), Clear, Winds 1 NE, Pressure at 30.46" and rising, humidity 58%, dew pt of 26°.

Radar is showing very light, very scattered showers over parts of Maine and New York (probably snow showers actually) along with very light, scattered precip out in SW WI moving in from Iowa and MN.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Sunday, April 21, 2013

Sunday was an even cooler day than Saturday, with lows in the 30s and highs in the mid 50s. Sunny skies for the most part, some high clouds at times. We have a frost advisory posted for my county for tonight, with temps once again expected to lower somewhere into the 30s by sunrise. Sunny and mid 50s expected once again on Monday, then not as cold Monday night with some clouds around with lows in the 40s. Tuesday mostly cloudy with highs in the 60s lows in the 40s. Wednesday and Wednesday night should be mostly cloudy and milder, with highs in the low 70s and lows in the 50s with a 50 POP for showers and thundershowers. Thursday and Friday should clear up and cool back down into the upper 50s and lower 60s with lows in the upper 30s to lower 40s. Sunny to partly cloudy then through Saturday with highs in the 60s and lows in the 40s, then a 30 POP for showers on Sunday with continued seasonable 60s temps.

High temp  54.8° VP2 (1621)(56.8° RS)
Low temp  37.8° VP2 (0641)(38.5° RS) 
Obs temp  42.3° VP2 42.6°RS    
Peak wind gust 18 N (1109) 
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 67% (2352) to a low of 31% (1532)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 33° to 22°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.61"(1113) to 30.35"(0000)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 42.3°(VP2)/42.6°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.59" and rising, humidity 67%, dew pt of 32°.

Currently at 0204 EDT I have a temp of 42.4°(VP2)/42.8°(RS), Clear, Winds 3 ENE, Pressure at 30.57" and steady, humidity 72%, dew pt of 34°.

Radar is showing light showers moving through WI and the U.P. of MI, with some mixed precip at the northern end over areas near Lake Superior.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Monday, April 22, 2013

Monday featured an even cooler morning minimum than Sunday, reaching into the mid 30s with scattered frost around the area in favorable locations. It warmed up a bit more in the afternoon into the upper 50s under sunny skies and a bit lighter winds. Tonight we have some clouds around from an offshore coastal storm that isn't going to give us any precipitation, just overnight clouds and low temps a bit milder than it has been, in the low 40s. Cloudy in the AM hours on Tuesday, but sunny in the afternoon with highs reaching the low 60s. Clouding up in the evening ahead of a cold front advancing from the midwest, then a 30 POP for showers on Wednesday with clouds and highs in the low 70s. A 50 POP for showers on Wednesday night as the front finally passes our area, then sunny skies and highs mostly in the 60s and lows in the 40s the rest of the workweek. The weekend looks a bit cloudy and unsettled with 30 POPs for showers on both Saturday and Sunday with seasonable 60s temperatures.

High temp  57.7° VP2 (1715)(59.2° RS)
Low temp  35.8° VP2 (0640)(36.0° RS)
Obs temp  46.6° VP2 47.3°RS    
Peak wind gust 15 SE (1145)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 89% (0658) to a low of 44% (1609)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 38° to 32°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.59"(0001) to 30.41"(1834)                                                                                                                                        
At midnight EDT obs the temp was 46.6°(VP2)/47.3°(RS), PCloudy, Winds 4 NW, Pressure at 30.43" and steady, humidity 66%, dew pt of 36°.

Currently at 0220 EDT I have a temp of 44.6°(VP2)/45.3°(RS), PCloudy, Winds 2 NNE, Pressure at 30.38" and falling, humidity 71%, dew pt of 36°.

Radar is showing light precipitation well offshore in the mid-Atlantic, along with rain in Illinois and southern WI, with snow in northwestern WI and adjoining parts of MI and MN.

Archived