• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
What's the Weather Where You are?

terpguy

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Friday, February 28, 2014

Friday featured one of our coldest days of February and the season, with our lowest minimum of the month recorded early around 0655 with 10.9°. At least the winds died down today from yesterday's gales. Temps stayed below freezing all day, but we did have full sun. Tonight the temps are dropping once again into the teens and should reach the low teens by sunrise. Saturday during the day we should be sunny to partly cloudy with moderating temps into the low 40s. Not as cold Saturday night with lows in the 20s, then partly to mostly cloudy on Sunday with highs reaching 50 possibly. But then late Sunday we should see precipitation moving in from our widely anticipated storm from the West. WINTER STORM WATCH has been posted by NWS for the period of late Sunday night through Monday night. It should start out as rain as temps will still be quite a bit above freezing well into Sunday evening. When it gets cold enough to change that rain over to frozen precipitation will make a major determination as to how much snow/sleet/freezing rain combo piles up, and how much of each depends on how cold the atmospheric column gets in our area. Right now the latest forecast I saw was for at least 5" of snow for Monday after a period of freezing rain and sleet near the outset after the rain starts us out. The forecast will probably change, as it has already several times. The storm should exit quickly on Monday afternoon or evening, and get colder - max temps on Monday should be in the upper 20s, then drop into the teens Monday night, then sunny and cold on Tuesday with highs in the upper 20s . Moderating thereafter somewhat (max temps in the 30s), but no big warm up anticipated, with more possible winter storm action late in the week so stay tuned!

Friday's precipitation: 0
February's total precipitation: 4.62"
Friday's snowfall: 0
Midnight snowfall on ground (nearest half-inch): 0
February monthly snowfall: 19.9"
Seasonal snowfall total: 37.4"
Annual 2014 YTD precipitation total: 7.27"

Other data for Friday is as follows:

High temp 29.7° VP2 (1517)(RS 28.9°)
Low temp 10.9° VP2 (0655)(RS 9.7°)
Obs temp 20.6° VP2 (RS 20.1°)
Peak wind gust 12 NW (0032)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 57% (0533) to a low of 26% (1435)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 4° to -5°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.46"(1030) to 30.20"(0000)

At midnight obs the temp was 20.6° (VP2), Clear, Winds 1 ENE, Pressure at 30.41" and steady, humidity 47%, dew point of 3°.

Currently at 0516 EST I have a temp of 16.1°(VP2), (14.9° RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.38" and rising, humidity 70%, dew point of 8°.

Radar is showing some light snow out in parts of MI and IL, plus some scattered areas of mixed precip in parts of NC and southern OH at this time.

Kevin the mostly snowless walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Saturday morning.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday, March 1, 2014

Saturday started out March rather calmly, moderating temps in the afternoon after yet one more cold morning in the teens. We had some sun, some clouds, and reached into the low 40s for max temps in the afternoon. Cloudy in the evening, with low temps not dropping off a lot, holding so far in the low 30s just above the freezing mark.  We should mostly see clouds on Sunday, with high temps reaching even milder - around 50 or possibly low 50s, with chances of rain showers increasing as the day moves on. Sunday night the rain showers should be more numerous, but with the cold front coming in, temps will be getting colder, and the rain should turn into a variety of frozen precipitation, freezing rain, then sleet, then eventually snow by early Monday morning as the latest forecasts are saying. Our WINTER STORM WATCH just turned into a WINTER STORM WARNING. Heavy snow possible on Monday, particularly in the morning, with amounts varying with each model run, right now around 10 inches but that will probably change. With the sleet/freezing rain combo on the roads overnight on Sunday then snow being added to it, along with temps dropping from the low-mid 30s into the 20s during the day on Monday, those roads in our area will be quite a mess most of Monday. The storm should clear out of here by late Monday afternoon, with windy, colder temps on Monday night, temps falling into the teens. We might hit a low around 10 by sunrise Tuesday. Then on Tuesday remain very cold for early March, staying below freezing all day with highs in the mid-upper 20s. Lows Tuesday night under clear skies well down in the teens again. Wednesday through Friday some moderation should develop, but we should still stay in the 30s for max temps with low temps in the teens to low 20s. There is a slight chance at more storminess at the end of the week, but let's see how that develops over the next few days, especially after we find out how this big storm in the early part of the week turns out. 

Saturday's precipitation: 0
March total precipitation: 
Saturday's snowfall: 0 
March monthly snowfall: 0.0"
Annual 2014 YTD precipitation total: 7.27"  

Other data for Saturday is as follows:  

High temp 41.5° VP2 (1435)(RS 41.5°)   
Low temp 15.4° VP2 (0634)(RS 14.4°)  
Obs temp 32.8° VP2 (RS 32.9°)   
Peak wind gust 13 E (1028)   
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 79% (0811) to a low of 40% (1415)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 23° to 3°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.42"(0008) to 30.19"(2357)

At midnight obs the temp was 32.8° (VP2), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.19" and steady, humidity 66%, dew point of 23°.

Currently at 0437 EST I have a temp of 33.6°(VP2), (33.6° RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.08" and falling, humidity 70%, dew point of 25°.  

Radar is showing a long band of snow stretching from parts of central New England westward through parts of NY state, northern PA, parts of OH, IN, IL and lower southern MI at this time. Working its way south towards our area eventually later on Sunday into Monday. 

Kevin the still snowless walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Sunday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Sunday, March 2, 2014

Sunday was the cloudy, mild start to our big storm, with just light rain falling in the afternoon and evening. Temps peaked into the low 50s around noon and then started to fall through the afternoon and evening, through the 40s and 30s.  No freezing precipitation through obs tonight. But now in the early Monday morning hours there has been a changeover to sleet with accumulations noted on cars and parts of the roadways and parking spots in my immediate area which I can see from the street lights.  Within the next few hours we should change over to snow before daybreak. The WINTER STORM WARNING continues through to 6 PM. The Federal Government here in the DC area has been shut down for Monday, so I don't have to go into work. Snow should be heavy at times after sunrise, with continued dropping of temps into the 20s during the morning and into the teens by late afternoon, when the winds will be whipping and the skies will be clearing out eventually.  We are looking at a total snow accumulation of between 6-10 inches by the time it ends mid-late Monday afternoon. Temps will continue to drop on Monday night, probably reaching the single digits by Tuesday sunrise. High temps on Tuesday look to be in the 20s, then lows in the teens Tuesday night, then highs in the low 30s on Wednesday with sunny to partly cloudy skies, then 20s for lows Wednesday night, then mid-upper 30s for Thursday and low 40s on Friday, with a possibility of a little more snow at the end of the week... Perhaps rain mixed in there too - we shall see how that develops as the week progresses. Quite a cold and snowy start to the month of March! 

I must note a problem I had tonight during my observation time at midnight. Somehow my backdoor lock got jammed, and it is locked no matter how I turn the lock. So I could not get out in the backyard. So I am using the VP2 rainfall amount for my official reading tonight (my LR reading). I might be able to figure out something on Monday if I can get the lock fixed. It is not frozen, just jammed somehow - I have no idea how that happened. Any suggestions as to what I should do about it, other than getting my handyman out here to fix it (he is the one who installed it- sometime ago - not recently). I also could laboriously amble all the way around my townhouse block and get into the backyard through my backyard gate. That could be a bit tough for me in several inches of snow and ice tomorrow afternoon. 

Sunday's precipitation: 0.29" (VP2 - using as my LR reading as of now) Max rain rate 0.17" @ 2341
March total precipitation: 0.29"
Sunday's snowfall: 0 
March monthly snowfall: 0.0"
Annual 2014 YTD precipitation total: 7.56"  

Other data for Sunday is as follows:  

High temp 51.2° VP2 (1229)(RS 51.3°)   
Low temp 32.8° VP2 (0000)(RS 32.9°)  
Obs temp 34.4° VP2 (RS 34.5°)   
Peak wind gust 11 NW (1327)   
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 95% (2100) to a low of 46% (1242)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 37° to 22°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.20"(0002) to 30.01"(1220)

At midnight obs the temp was 34.4° (VP2), Cloudy/light rain, Winds 4 NE, Pressure at 30.02" and steady, humidity 94%, dew point of 33°.

Currently at 0258 EST I have a temp of 31.1°(VP2), (31.3° RS), Cloudy with light snow, Winds 11 NNW, Pressure at 30.04" and rising, humidity 94%, dew point of 30°.  

Radar is showing a large area of precipitation over the mid-Atlantic regions, with rain to my south over southern MD and south and central VA, sleet/freezing rain pockets over the immediate DC area including my locale, and snow just to my N and W, over northern Maryland and much of Pennsylvania. Snow line moving through and south of here within the next few hours. 

Kevin the about-to-be snowy walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Monday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Monday, March 3, 2014

Monday was quite an eventful day for early March.  We started out at 0000 with rain, then around 0100 we turned over to sleet, then around 0230 we turned over to snow, as temps continued to drop. And for most of the day the temperature continued to drop, with just a minor afternoon rise up to the low 20s after the snow stopped, from the upper teens in the late morning during the last period of snow.  The snow fell nicely, but mostly while I was sleeping.  Clearing out by evening, I got my handyman to dig me out of the snow and also fix the back door lock so I was able to go out and swap out my rain gauge and get a good reading, plus get a good snowfall reading from the day's storm.  Evening has been clear withe continued temperature fall, through the teens and now well into the single digits. A record low has already been set for Tuesday, March 4 as the old record was 8° set back in 1980. Probably will reach 2 or 3 by sunrise min time, some places in the region were already below zero before midnight tonight.  Sunny, milder temps on Tuesday after our frigid start, with highs reaching the upper 20s. Not as cold Tuesday night with lows in the teens, then rising on Wednesday into the upper 30s. Thursday a continued rise, minor admittedly,to around 40.  Then upper 40s on Friday with lows in the 30s Thursday night with clouds and possible precipitation chances increasing through parts of Friday. Saturday should be partly cloudy with highs up the mid 50s, lows in the 30s to around 40. Sunday cooling off a bit but only into the 40s. Monday's 5.1" snowfall set a daily record for March 3. All these records being set! Makes things interesting, climate-wise...  

Monday's precipitation: 0.68" (LR) M (VP2 - doesn't record frozen precipitation very well, particularly in sub-freezing temps when the ice/snow can't melt through)  
March total precipitation: 0.97"

Monday's snowfall: 5.1
Midnight snowfall on ground (nearest half-inch): 5" 
March monthly snowfall: 5.1"
Seasonal snowfall total: 42.5" 
Annual 2014 YTD precipitation total: 8.24"  

Other data for Monday is as follows:  

High temp 34.4° VP2 (0000)(RS 34.3°)   
Low temp 7.0° VP2 (2359)(RS 6.3°)  
Obs temp 7.0° VP2 (RS 6.3°)   
Peak wind gust 21 N (0717)   
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 95% (0112) to a low of 57% (1705)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 33° to 3°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.39"(2151) to 30.02"(0007)

At midnight obs the temp was 7.0° (VP2), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.38" and steady, humidity 84%, dew point of 3°.

Currently at 0308 EST I have a temp of 5.4°(VP2), (4.5° RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.38" and steady, humidity 86%, dew point of 2°.  

Radar is showing a fairly large area of snow over parts of the Midwest, including sections of WI, IA, IL and MI at this time.

Kevin the once again snowywalrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Tuesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Tuesday was a bit calmer and less eventful than Monday, though we did set a daily min temp record with a 5° min temp around 0200 - clouds came in a bit and warmed us up after then through the rest of the night. Sun warmed us more on Tuesday, with high temps going just over the freezing mark for a short time around 1500.  It has gotten cold again this evening, but nowhere near as cold as last night, with temps moving down through the 20s all evening.  We should hit around 15 or so by sunrise if the clouds don't keep the temps from dropping a bit. Worried about black ice in the morning on the way to my car to get to work. Sidewalk looks pretty clear now, and with daylight I should be able to see that ice patches pretty well.  Tomorrow should be sunny with high temps in the upper 30s. Wednesday night should be cloudy and cold, with lows in the low 20s. Thursday should be cloudy with highs in the upper 30s to around 40. Friday should be partly cloudy with highs in the upper 40s, then over the weekend we should get up in the 50s, esp. on Saturday, with sunny to partly cloudy skies - lows in the 30s.  A rather calm period, looks like a coastal storm at the end of the week will stay offshore enough to keep us dry here. 

Tuesday's precipitation: 0  
Midnight snowfall on ground (nearest half-inch): 4" 
Annual 2014 YTD precipitation total: 8.24" (this amount may need a correction - stay tuned on that)  

Other data for Tuesday is as follows:  

High temp 33.5° VP2 (1513)(RS 33.1°)   
Low temp 5.0° VP2 (0156)(RS 4.1°)  
Obs temp 20.8° VP2 (RS 20.5°)   
Peak wind gust 9 NW (0941)   
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 89% (0808) to a low of 36% (1521)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 15° to 2°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.47"(0915) to 30.27"(2334)

At midnight obs the temp was 20.8° (VP2), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.28" and steady, humidity 77%, dew point of 15°.

Currently at 0105 EST I have a temp of 19.7°(VP2), (19.4° RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.26" and falling, humidity 80%, dew point of 15°.  

Radar is showing two relatively small areas of snow - one over parts of upstate New York (mainly to the west towards Rochester and Buffalo) and the other over southern Wisconsin. 

Kevin the once again snowywalrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Wednesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Wednesday featured one more cold morning in the teens, but warmed in the afternoon up into the 40s with considerable melting of the snowpack. Tonight it has cooled off somewhat, but nothing like it has been the past few days, as temperatures just went below freezing a few hours ago and early this Thursday morning are now in the upper 20s. Clouds have filtered in, ahead of a cold front that will make Thursday a bit cooler, with highs in the mid 30s. Clouds only, no precipitation expected. Clearing off by Friday morning, with highs on Friday headed up into the 40s once again. Highs 50-55 over the weekend with sunny-partly cloudy skies. Lows will be in the upper 20s to low 30s, then next week looks to continue the mild 50s pattern - perhaps even reaching 60 I hear.  Icy conditions out on my front stoop has not left me yet, and getting into the house tonight was surprisingly tough right before entering the house, as melt water from the roof drips down right onto the walkway right by our front door. I threw some salt on it, esp on the frozen mat, and it appears to be getting better.  We shall see what happens in the morning. It wasn't too bad Wednesday morning. 

Wednesday's precipitation: 0  
Midnight snowfall on ground (nearest half-inch): 2" 
Annual 2014 YTD precipitation total: 7.74" (this amount subtracts 0.50" mysteriously added as a correction back on February 9 - still not sure why I added it, there was no reason expressed back on Feb 9, but other observer data for the first 10 days of February corroborated the fact that this 0.50" added back on Feb 9 should not have been done)

Other data for Wednesday is as follows:  

High temp 44.4° VP2 (1515)(RS 44.1°)   
Low temp 15.9° VP2 (0702)(RS 15.1°)  
Obs temp 30.5° VP2 (RS 30.4°)   
Peak wind gust 16 NE (2311)   
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 85% (0720) to a low of 32% (1523)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 20° to 12°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.44"(2356) to 30.23"(1619)

At midnight obs the temp was 30.5° (VP2), Cloudy, Winds 10 NW, Pressure at 30.44" and steady, humidity 56%, dew point of 16°.

Currently at 0130 EST I have a temp of 27.9°(VP2), (27.7° RS), Cloudy, Winds 9 N, Pressure at 30.46" and rising, humidity 56%, dew point of 15°.  

Radar is showing virtually nothing in the Eastern US north of Florida at this time. Reflective of a calm, dry period coming up for our area generally speaking.  

Kevin the snowywalrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Thursday morning.
  •  

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Thursday, March 6, 2014

Thursday was cloudy and colder, no precipitation.  Lows in the AM in the low 20s, highs in the afternoon in the mid 30s. This evening temps have dropped into the upper 20s. A storm to our south, a big cold high pressure ridge to our north - question is how strong is the ridge, will it keep the storm from moving enough north to give us precip on Friday?  A close call, and with temps in the 20s, freezing types of precip are being forecast for our region, particularly to the south of me.  There is a winter weather advisory out from 6 AM to 2 PM for our region. We shall see if we get a bit of sleet or freezing rain in the early morning.  Patchy light showers as we warm into the upper 30s during the day on Friday are also possible. Right now the POP is 20 for Friday during the day, and a 40 POP for Friday evening. Saturday looks sunny and milder, with temps into the 50s. Sunday should be cloudier and cooler, highs around 50 but with a chance of a few rain showers in the overnight. Monday and Tuesday looks partly to mostly cloudy but mild, with temps up around 60. Wednesday should be cooler again, with highs in the low 40s with a chance of rain or snow showers Wednesday night. 

Thursday's precipitation: 0  
Annual 2014 YTD precipitation total: 7.74"

Other data for Thursday is as follows:  

High temp 35.3° VP2 (1515)(RS 35.1°)   
Low temp 22.0° VP2 (0556)(RS 21.7°)  
Obs temp 29.7° VP2 (RS 29.5°)   
Peak wind gust 15 N (0117)   
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 74% (2350) to a low of 53% (1148)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 22° to 11°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.61"(0835) to 30.39"(2358)

At midnight obs the temp was 29.7° (VP2), Cloudy, Winds 7 NE, Pressure at 30.39" and falling, humidity 74%, dew point of 22°.

Currently at 0100 EST I have a temp of 29.4°(VP2), (29.3° RS), Cloudy, Winds 7 ENE, Pressure at 30.38" and falling, humidity 75%, dew point of 22°.  

Radar is showing mixed precipitation types to my south over central and southern VA, appears to be moving mostly E, with some northerly movement in places at times but not too much right now. 

Kevin the snowywalrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Friday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Friday, March 7, 2014

Friday featured a cloudy and cold AM, threatening from a storm to our south and east, but no precipitation fell as the storm missed us to the south and east. It was below freezing so we could have had a real mess on our hands as they did in some sections of southern VA and North Carolina as I understand it. Clearing skies came through in the afternoon and evening, with temps warming into the low 40s.  This evening we have cooled off through the 30s into the upper 20s now, and should be in the mid 20s by sunrise.  Saturday will be sunny and milder, with high temps in the mid to upper 50s. Saturday night will not be as cold, with lows in the 30s, and a chance of showers Sunday morning as a weak cold front moves in. Sunday afternoon should clear off, at least partially, with high temps a bit cooler, in the upper 40s. Monday and Tuesday should be sunny to partly cloudy with highs in the upper 50s to lower 60s. Tuesday night into Wednesday temps should cool off with clouds and rain showers, highs on Wednesday in the low 40s, then possible rain or snow showers Wednesday night with lows in the upper 20s or lower 30s. Cooler on Thursday and Friday with highs in the 40s and lows in the 20s or 30s.   

Midnight snowfall on ground (nearest half-inch): 1" 

High temp 43.3° VP2 (1433)(RS 43.0°)   
Low temp 28.8° VP2 (0230)(RS 28.6°)  
Obs temp 31.2° VP2 (RS 30.9°)   
Peak wind gust 13 NE (0007)   
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 83% (2336) to a low of 62% (1435)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 32° to 22°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.39"(0000) to 29.96"(2358)

At midnight obs the temp was 31.2° (VP2), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.96" and falling, humidity 83%, dew point of 27°.

Currently at 0414 EST I have a temp of 27.9°(VP2), (27.1° RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.95" and falling, humidity 87%, dew point of 25°.  

Radar is showing widely scattered light mixed precipitation on a broken line between parts of upstate NY, running WSW from there into parts of Michigan, Illinois and Indiana at this time. 

Kevin the snowywalrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Saturday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday, March 8, 2014

Saturday started out a bit frosty with temps in the 20s but with full sun we warmed up fast and in the later stages of the afternoon managed to get up into the low 60s. With the cold start to March, this easily was our warmest day of the month so far, but early next week we may exceed this value reached today. Tonight we have only dropped into the mid 40s so far with increasing clouds and some scattered showers in the region (40 POP). A cold front is dropping through, and our temps on Sunday will only reach the upper 40s under partly to mostly cloudy skies. Temps Sunday night under clearing skies will drop into the upper 20s. Monday we will be sunny and warm up once again up into the 50s. Lows Monday night in the 30s, Tuesday we should reach around 60 for a high temp. Tuesday night into Wednesday clouds will be on the increase, with a 70 POP for rain during the day on Wednesday. On Wednesday night a 60 POP for continued precipitation, lows in the 30s, and at the end of the storm we may turn briefly over to some snow but with little to no accumulation expected. Sunny once again on Thursday, with high temps only around 40, then upper 20s Thursday night. Friday should start to warm up, highs around 50, with lows Friday night probably in the 30s. The weekend looks to warm up some, probably into the 50s with lows in the 30s. 

Midnight snowfall on ground (nearest half-inch): 0 (warm temps just wiped out the remaining snow except in man-made piles which of course don't count) 

High temp 61.2° VP2 (1622)(RS 61.7°)   
Low temp 27.3° VP2 (0523)(RS 27.1°)  
Obs temp 43.2° VP2 (RS 43.9°)   
Peak wind gust 16 NW (1407)   
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 92% (0751) to a low of 40% (1654)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 40° to 24°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.99"(0821) to 29.89"(1606)

At midnight obs the temp was 43.2° (VP2), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.93" and steady, humidity 77%, dew point of 36°.

Currently at 0457 EDT I have a temp of 44.5°(VP2), (45.0° RS), Cloudy, Winds 5 WNW , Pressure at 29.97" and rising, humidity 73%, dew point of 36°.  

Radar is showing scattered light showers in the region, mostly off to my east right now, the result of a cold frontal passage. Winds have picked up considerably over the past few hours, at least an hour after midnight EST. 

Kevin the no longer snowywalrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Sunday morning. We just switched over the Daylight time, my observations from now on will be expressed in Daylight time (EDT).  Not bothered by the changing of clocks, the important clocks for me that are in my weather station, my desktop computer and my I-Phone automatically changed at 2 AM.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Sunday, March 9, 2014

Sunday started out cloudy and colder with a few light showers around but no precip was recorded at my location.  By the afternoon we had cleared off and had a chillier afternoon but with the sun and lessening winds it was still pretty nice.  This evening cloudy skies have developed once again with temps slowly falling into the 30s. With the mild temps the past few days the snow cover is gone except for the largest man-made snow piles which are well off the streets and sidewalks now. Monday and Tuesday should be partly to mostly cloudy, with high temps in the upper 50s to lower 60s, and lows in the 30s. Wednesday looks to be rainy (70 POP) with highs in the upper 30s to lower 40s, then 30s Wed evening with the precip possibly ending as rain or snow showers. Thursday should give us a brief one day cool down with partly cloudy skies and high temps in the mid-upper 30s, then down in the 20s Thursday night before we start warming up on Friday and Saturday into the 50-60 range. Then cooling off a bit on Sunday. 

Note: All time references expressed from now on will be in Eastern Daylight Savings Time (EDT)

Sunday's precipitation: 0  

High temp 48.0° VP2 (1614)(RS 48.0°)   
Low temp 36.4° VP2 (2354)(RS 36.5°)  
Obs temp 36.4° VP2 (RS 36.5°)   
Peak wind gust 16 NW (1135)   
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 77% (0000) to a low of 31% (1753)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 37° to 17°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.14"(1129) to 29.93"(0007)

At midnight obs the temp was 36.4° (VP2), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.02" and steady, humidity 58%, dew point of 23°.

Currently at 0121 EDT I have a temp of 36.2°(VP2), (36.3° RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm , Pressure at 30.00" and falling, humidity 61%, dew point of 24°.  

Radar is showing light snow over northern New England and upstate New York, along with widely scattered areas of snow and rain showers over parts of the western Great Lakes areas in MI and WI. 

Kevin the snow-less walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Monday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Monday, March 10, 2014

I have to try and go to bed really early tonight to get to work early so I can attend an all-day cartographic workshop at the office. So I may actually post a bit earlier than midnight tonight but no key statistics will be affected I don't believe. 

Monday was sunny and mild, barely surpassing Monday's 61.2 high temp to record a new March high temp (so far) at 61.6. But more than likely Tuesday and/or Wednesday we will get even warmer, further up into the 60s with partly to mostly cloudy skies. Lows tonight will be in the 30s, as will they be on Tuesday night. Tuesday should be sunnier than Wednesday, as a storm to our west approaches that day. The LOW will be north and west of us, so we will stay on the warm side till the cold front passes on through Wednesday evening sometime, preceded by showers mid-late Wed afternoon - with a possibility of a thunderstorm mixed in and gusty winds at times.  Thursday will give us our cold day of the week, with highs only in the 30s and lows in the 20s, with wind chills almost down to zero. The sun should be out, so it won't be too extreme as the March sun is pretty strong. Friday and Saturday should rebound into a 50 high temp on Saturday and near 60 on Sunday with mostly sunny skies.  Alas winter may not be quite over - there is a storm on the model maps for early next week and it just might give us a chance at some snow on Monday or Tuesday. March certainly gives us quite a roller coaster temperature ride. 

Note: All time references expressed from now on will be in Eastern Daylight Savings Time (EDT)

Monday's precipitation: 0  

High temp 61.6° VP2 (1617)(RS 62.2°)   
Low temp 35.2° VP2 (0735)(RS 35.3°)  
Obs temp 42.2° VP2 (RS 42.8°)   
Peak wind gust 12 W (1818)   
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 69% (0827) to a low of 33% (1706)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 34° to 21°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.03"(0019) to 29.67"(1846)

At midnight obs the temp is 41.6° (VP2), PCloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.68" and steady, humidity 68%, dew point of 32°.

Currently at 0011 EDT I have a temp of 41.3°(VP2), (41.7° RS), PCloudy, Winds Calm , Pressure at 29.67" and steady, humidity 69%, dew point of 32°.  

Radar is currently showing snow and mixed precipitation over parts of northern New England (except Maine) and upstate New York. 

Kevin the snow-less walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Tuesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Tuesday, March 11, 2014

I have to try and go to bed really early tonight again to get to work early so I can attend an all-day cartographic workshop at the office. So I may actually post a bit earlier than midnight tonight but no key statistics will be affected. I did make it in on time for the start of the workshop on Monday. I did, however, have sleep problems overnight. I hope I don't tonight. 

Tuesday was mostly cloudy and warm, surpassing Monday's 61.6 high temp to record a new March high temp (so far) at 64.9. We might get warmer than that on Wednesday up towards 70 even with clouds predominating again before the showers and thundershowers move in sometime in the afternoon. Mild overnight tonight, staying in the 40s and cloudy.  We might have some brief heavy downpours and a slight risk of severe weather, mostly from possible high winds in thunderstorms. Cold air will be rushing in Wednesday evening, with lows dropping into the 20s by morning. Thursday will be sunny and breezy, cold with highs only a bit above freezing in the mid 30s.  Cold Thursday night back into the 20s with winds slacking off. Friday should be sunny and milder, with highs up around 50. Saturday well up in the 50s most likely and sunny, as should Sunday be also. Lows in the 30s. Monday will turn colder again and cloudy, with a storm moving in with cold rain and possibly a bit of snow mixed in there.  The roller coaster ride with March temperatures continues! 

High temp 64.9° VP2 (1659)(RS M°)   
Low temp 39.0° VP2 (0156)(RS M°)  
Obs temp 44.8° VP2 (RS M°)   
Peak wind gust 10 SW (1328)   
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 79% (2345) to a low of 41% (1656)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 43° to 31°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.74"(0922) to 29.65"(1822)

At midnight obs the temp is 44.5° (VP2), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.65" and falling, humidity 79%, dew point of 38°.

Currently at 0013 EDT I have a temp of 44.0°(VP2), (M° RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.65" and falling, humidity 80%, dew point of 38°.  

Radar is currently precipitation scattered over a good part of the midwest. Mostly snow over MI and WI, mostly looks like rain/mixed precip over IL and IN at this time.  Very light precip showing over parts of NY and PA and New England, probably not reaching the ground. 

Kevin the snow-less walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Wednesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Got through my cartographic workshop the past few days, so now I don't have to get up as early, but still trying to get to bed relatively early.  I had quite a day! We had a power failure at about 1945  right at the time of my Peak Wind Gust of the day and the year so far (36 MPH from the N at 1943) as really blustery conditions came in behind the strong cold front that gave us a brief shower earlier in the evening. The power stayed off till about 2200, creating a bit of confusion and worry about a few things. It has stayed on so far since, but winds are slow to die down. Temperatures have really gone down quickly after a generally warm day.

So Wednesday was quite a day. It was mostly cloudy most of the day, but with some sun earlier, but clouds really built up and we were under a severe thunderstorm watch early in the evening. It was supposed to last till 10 PM but it was cancelled way earlier than that after the cold frontal line and the brief showers (no thunder or lightning observed) around 1830.  The winds really picked up thereafter, and have remained strong all evening. The temperature has now dropped below freezing just prior to midnight obs, and should be in the low 20s by morning. Thursday will remain cold and windy, with highs only in the low-mid 30s. There is a wind advisory out for our area till 11 AM Thursday. Thursday night will be cold with lows in the 20s. Friday the temperatures will start recovering, with highs around 50
or slightly higher. Saturday should be partly cloudy with highs up around 60.  Sunday should start to cool down again, and Monday back into the cold, with rain coming in, possibly mixing with or changing to snow with high temps in the 30s to around 40. Temps should start warming up with sun thereafter on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Wednesday's precipitation: 0.18" (LR) 0.20" (VP2)  1.86" Max rain rate (MRR) @ 1821  
March total precipitation: 1.15"
Annual 2014 YTD precipitation total: 7.92"

High temp 65.0° VP2 (1324)(RS M°)   
Low temp 31.2° VP2 (2358)(RS M°)  
Obs temp 31.2° VP2 (RS M°)   
Peak wind gust 36 N (1943)   
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 90% (1846) to a low of 52% (1212)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 58° to 20°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.66"(0038) to 29.06"(1724)

At midnight obs the temp is 31.2° (VP2), Clear, Winds 18 NE, Pressure at 29.51" and rising, humidity 63%, dew point of 20°.

Currently at 0049 EDT I have a temp of 30.1°(VP2), (M° RS), Clear, Winds 17 NNW, Pressure at 29.55" and rising, humidity 63%, dew point of 19°.  

Radar is currently showing our earlier showers have moved far to the east, out over the Atlantic off the mid-Atlantic coast. Snow flurries and snow showers are scattered out in the mountains to the N and W over parts of WV, MD, VA, and PA.

Kevin the snow-less walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Thursday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Friday, March 14, 2014

Friday was another significant day on my personal computer front. My Davis VP2 weather station is back online on WX Underground and CWOP. Got new computer working basically, but lots of files and folders must still be transferred over so I can have access to it. 

It was a cold beginning to the day on Friday, with temps in the mid 20s and cloudy. Clouds persisted into the afternoon and hung around at least partially most of the afternoon, but with a warm up well into the 50s. Amazingly enough tonight the temps have remained in the 50s, with dew points in the 20s - very dry - might make the upper 40s by sunrise. Partly cloudy on Saturday with highs in the low 60s. A cold front will pass through late Saturday, and drop Sat night temps into the 30s. Sunday will be cloudy and colder, with rain showers mid-day changing to or mixing with snow later on in the day and evening, with temps in the low 40s early but dropping into the 30-35 range overnight. 100 POP for snow right now on Monday, with highs in the low 30s. Significant accumulations are possible, stay tuned for further updates over the weekend. It should clear out by late Monday, lows in the 20s, then highs on Tuesday in the upper 30s under partly to mostly sunny skies, then up in the 40s on Wednesday, with more precipitation possible at/near the end of the week either on Thursday or Friday. A crazy week - winter just doesn't want to leave!

High temp 57.4° VP2 (1622)(RS 58.1°) 
Low temp 24.2° VP2 (0213)(RS M°) 
Obs temp 53.1° VP2 (RS 52.3°) 
Peak wind gust 15 S (1653)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 61%(0230) to a low of 26% (1625)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 25° to 9°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.26"(0813) to 29.88"(2354)

At midnight obs the temp was 53.1° (VP2), Cloudy, Winds 11 E , Pressure at 29.88" and falling, humidity 29%, dew point of 21°.

Current conditions (0258) show 51.5°(VP2), 51.1°(RS), Cloudy,Winds 8 WSW, Pressure at 29.85" and falling, humidity 35%, dew point of 25°.

Radar is showing a thin line of showers cutting through western NY, PA and parts of OH at this time. A bit of snow up in Maine, also over the upper Midwest.

Kevin the snow-less walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Saturday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday, March 15, 2014

Got my new computer fully operational on Saturday, with my email/address issues I had last night all taken care of. Computer running fast and efficient, all is well. 

It was a warmer and sunny day on Saturday, with temps rising into the 60s in the afternoon after a mild overnight just falling into the low 40s. Tonight a cold front has passed through, and temps have dropped some, into the upper 30s. Sunday should be cloudy and colder by mid-day after some morning sun, with our big storm approaching from the south and west.  High temps will only be in the 40s. Light rain or light snow or a mix should start falling sometime in the afternoon, changing over to snow sometime in the evening and continuing to fall overnight and into the Monday morning hours till mid-day or thereabouts. Temps should fall through the 30s Sunday night with highs on Monday only around the freezing mark. Right now we have a WINTER STORM WATCH posted for Sunday afternoon through Monday afternoon, with a tentative, probably changing value of around 3-5" of snow for my immediate area, with heavier amounts expected out to my south and west, particularly over central Virginia.  Eventually the snow will wind down sometime Monday afternoon, with clouds sticking around. Monday night should clear off with lows in the 20s.  Tuesday and Wednesday should moderate into the upper 30s on Tuesday to the upper 40s or lower 50s on Wednesday, with still possibly a few showers around on Wednesday. Lows should be in the 20s on Tuesday night to the 30s on Wednesday. Thursday and Friday should continue the moderating trend under partly to mostly sunny skies, with high temps progressing upwards through the 50s and lows in the 30s. 

High temp 64.3° VP2 (1617)(RS 60.8° - not so sure that the RS is working properly)   
Low temp 41.8° VP2 (2359)(RS 44.2°)  
Obs temp 41.8° VP2 (RS 44.2°)   
Peak wind gust 20 W (1525)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 56%(2352) to a low of 21% (1459)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 38° to 21°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.06"(2316) to 29.82"(0416)

At midnight obs the temp was 41.8° (VP2), Clear, Winds Calm , Pressure at 30.06" and rising, humidity 56%, dew point of 27°.

Current conditions (0358) show 39.4° (VP2), 43.9° (RS), Clear, Winds 1 NNW, Pressure at 30.10" and rising, humidity 65%, dew point of 28°.

Radar is showing snow in the midwest mostly in IL and IA, and rain further to the south over the lower Mississippi River valley, over much of AL, MS, AR, southern MO and western TN at this time.

Kevin the snow-less walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Sunday morning. 

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Sunday, March 16, 2014

Sunday was cloudy and colder, with the much anticipated snow starting in the late afternoon (about 1650 with light flurries) under temps of 39 at the start, but cooling off the rest of the day into the early Monday morning hours, with snow slowly increasing in intensity and starting to pile up everywhere, including the roads here late in the evening.  Just had a moderate-heavy burst come through on one of those bands that have developed with this system this evening/ early morning. Temps should hold or drop a bit more in the 20s, and keep the snow coming and sticking around.  Snow should continue on Monday into the afternoon, but probably lighter in intensity, with high temps only into the low 30s. Cloudy and 20s on Monday evening, then a gradual warm up this week, with low 60s by Friday and rain shower chances (50 POP on Wednesday) , with possible light mixed precip on Tue night with lows around 30. So our snow should be melting this week, mostly from Wednesday on. WINTER STORM WARNING for our area is still in effect, with the latest snow accumulation prediction of 4-8 inches for my area. 

Sunday's precipitation: 0.26" (LR) M (VP2) 
Sunday's snowfall: 4.2"
March total precipitation: 1.41"
Midnight snowfall on ground (nearest half-inch): 4" 
March monthly snowfall: 9.3"
Seasonal snowfall total: 46.7" 
Annual 2014 YTD precipitation total: 8.18"

High temp 44.4° VP2 (1303)(RS M)   
Low temp 28.1° VP2 (2312)(RS M)  
Obs temp 28.1° VP2 (RS M)   
Peak wind gust 14 N (0612)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 92% (2358) to a low of 39% (1403)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 29° to 19°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.20"(1105) to 30.06"(0008)

At midnight obs the temp was 28.1° (VP2), Cloudy/Mod Snow, Winds 2 NNW , Pressure at 30.10" and falling, humidity 92%, dew point of 26°.

Current conditions (0144) show 26.7° (VP2), M (RS), Cloudy/Light Snow, Winds 6 N, Pressure at 30.05" and falling, humidity 91%, dew point of 25°.

Radar is showing light-moderate snow through most of the mid-Atlantic region at this time. More snow out over much of WV that will come into the area sometime on Monday.

Kevin the now snowy walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Monday morning. 

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Tuesday, March 18, 2014 (with a bit on March 17)

I had internet connection problems last night so I could not post for Monday, March 17, It was a great St Patty's Day, with light-moderate to occasionally heavy snow most of the morning - total snow for the day of 5.5 - total storm amount of 9.7" - snow on ground at midnight 9 inches. High temp 33.0 @ 1504 Low temp 23.9 @ 0643

Well the day after the big snow, and clouds persisted most all day, but temperatures still warmed into the 40s. Solar rays penetrate through pretty well even through the clouds at this time of the year, and there was considerable melting of the snowpack today.  Clouds are persisting tonight, with temps slowly dropping through the upper 30s. There is a slight chance of light drizzle overnight, possibly freezing in spots, mostly out to the west of my immediate area where it will be slightly colder and a bit below the freezing mark. A Winter Weather Advisory is posted for most of the counties to my west in western parts of MD, VA and WV.  We have clouds again tomorrow with a chance of light rain, high temps in the upper 40s. Becoming more sunny on Friday, with highs getting well into the 50s to around 60, lows mostly in the 30s to around 40. Saturday should be sunny with temps into the low 60s, lows in the 40s. Sunday should start cooling off a bit back into the 50s, then early next week further cooling, with mid-week possibly a chance of snow or mixed rain and snow - a bit too early to tell right now but the models are showing something. 

March total precipitation: 1.93"
March monthly snowfall: 14.8"
Seasonal snowfall total: 52.2" 
Annual 2014 YTD precipitation total: 8.70"

High temp 44.0° VP2 (1648)   
Low temp 29.3° VP2 (0538)  
Obs temp 38.2° VP2    
Peak wind gust  14 N (0958)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 78% (0027) to a low of 49% (1705)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 29° to 20°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.24"(1324) to 30.10"(0452)

At midnight obs the temp was 38.2° (VP2), Cloudy, Winds 5 E , Pressure at 30.18" and steady, humidity 68%, dew point of 28°.

Current conditions (0114) show 37.1° (VP2), Cloudy, Winds 5 E, Pressure at 30.18" and steady, humidity 71%, dew point of 28°.

Radar is showing nothing in the mid-atlantic region, though there probably is some spotty drizzle out there, esp west of our area. Drizzle doesn't make good radar returns, if any at all.  Snow is falling through a good part of the northern half of WI and much of the upper peninsula of Michigan with rain or mixed precip falling to the south over Iowa and western Illinois. 

Kevin the snowy (but fading rapidly) walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Wednesday morning. 

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Wednesday, March 19, 2014
Wednesday was cloudy and damp, with occasional light showers/drizzle and some late day fog. My snowcover was wiped out today. Temps remained above freezing so there was no freezing drizzle this morning like was forecasted on a slight chance. Tonight cloudy once again, but the next few days will see an improvement with sun tomorrow and highs into the 50s, then on Friday and Saturday more sun and highs up into the 60s, possibly reaching close to 70 on Saturday. Cooling off back into the upper 40s on Sunday with a passage of a cold front late Saturday, then cooler next week, with possibly snow or rain mid-week with highs in the 40s and lows in the 30s. 

Wednesday's precipitation: 0.10" (LR) 0.07"(VP2) 

March total precipitation: 2.03"
Annual 2014 YTD precipitation total: 8.80"

High temp 42.0° VP2 (1709)   
Low temp 35.0° VP2 (0552)  
Obs temp 41.0° VP2    
Peak wind gust  10 NE (0929)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (2353) to a low of 68% (0000)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 40° to 28°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.20"(0313) to 29.82"(2357)

At midnight obs the temp was 41.2° (VP2), Cloudy, Winds 1 W , Pressure at 29.82" and falling, humidity 96%, dew point of 40°.

Current conditions (0131) show 41.1° (VP2), Cloudy, Winds 6 WSW, Pressure at 29.80" and falling, humidity 96%, dew point of 40°.

Radar is showing lots of snow over most of northern New England, particularly a lot of Maine, plus over parts of Michigan at this time. 

Kevin the snowless (once again he said forlornly) walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Thursday morning

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Thursday, March 20, 2014

Thursday was cloudy and damp overnight, but sun returned in the morning and warmer temperatures arrived just in time for the first day of spring, with high temps rising into the mid 50s. Tonight under clear skies the temps have dropped through the 40s into the upper 30s, with the low 30s (around freezing) by sunrise.  Clouds and sun should dominate the next two days,with high temps in the upper 50s to low 60s, lows in the 30s to around 40. A cold frontal passage over the early part of the weekend should give us a colder Sunday with sun and high temps only in the 40s. And the high temps should remain no higher than the 40s next week, with sun on Monday but a chance of rain or snow on Tuesday (50 POP) and Tuesday night. The rest of the week should be sunny but remaining chilly, with only upper 40s reached by Thursday. Measurable snow is still possible on Tuesday, it remains to be seen if the coastal storm hugs the coast enough to throw snow our way.

March total precipitation: 2.03"
Annual 2014 YTD precipitation total: 8.80"

High temp 56.4° VP2 (1600)   
Low temp 36.8° VP2 (0751)  
Obs temp 40.7° VP2    
Peak wind gust  22 SW (1058)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0428) to a low of 30% (1604)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 40° to 24°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.97"(2345) to 29.77"(0410)

At midnight obs the temp was 40.7° (VP2), Clear, Winds Calm , Pressure at 29.97" and steady, humidity 59%, dew point of 27°.

Current conditions (0113) show 37.6° (VP2), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.97" and steady, humidity 67%, dew point of 27°.

Radar is showing a bit of rain shower activity through parts of central IL and IN, into western OH, also light snow over part of upstate NY, and widely scattered over parts of northern New England. 

Kevin the snowless (once again he said forlornly) walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Friday morning. 

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Friday, March 21, 2014

Friday was cloudier and cooler than expected, with apparently a light shower falling around 2 PM according to my VP2 data logger record. My high temp for the day wasn't reached till after 6 PM EDT, as we did get a bit of sun late. Tonight it has cleared off, with some high clouds noted at midnight obs. Temps have dropped down into the mid 30s, it might drop down a few more degrees but probably will stay just above the freezing mark by sunrise on Saturday.  Saturday should be milder, with high temps reaching into the 60s with mostly sunny skies most of the day. Clouding up late, overnight and into Sunday as a cold front passes through, high temps on Sunday will only be in the upper 40s under the cloud cover. Sunny on Monday with highs only in the low 40s, then dropping down into the upper 20s to lower 30s Monday night, ahead of an 80 POP for snow or rain on Tuesday with high temps in the mid-upper 30s. A 40 POP for light snow on Tuesday night, lows in the upper 20s. Partly cloudy on Wednesday with high temps in the upper 30s. Warm up thereafter, highs in the upper 40s on Thursday and upper 50s to around 60 on Friday, with clouds and showers possible by late Friday. The storm on Tuesday might be our last hurrah for snow and cold, it appears that it will trigger a major pattern shift and generally warmer conditions should follow the rest of the month and heading into April. 

Friday's precipitation: 0.01" (LR) 0.01" (VP2) 

March total precipitation: 2.04"
Annual 2014 YTD precipitation total: 8.81"

High temp 49.6° VP2 (1812)   
Low temp 35.5° VP2 (0656)  
Obs temp 37.8° VP2    
Peak wind gust  12 NW (1602)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 88% (2353) to a low of 58% (1022)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 41° to 27°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.05"(0953) to 29.97"(0005)

At midnight obs the temp was 37.8° (VP2), Clear, Winds Calm , Pressure at 29.98" and steady, humidity 88%, dew point of 35°.

Current conditions (0304) show 36.0° (VP2), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.91" and falling, humidity 90%, dew point of 33°.

Radar is showing a bit of snow/mixed precip over parts of Eastern MI, southern ON, and western NY at this time.

Kevin the snowless walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Saturday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday, March 22, 2014

I lost my internet connection late last night and could not make this post at my usual time, so now I am posting it on Sunday afternoon. I have updated a few things, but generally the post remains as it existed late last night. Sorry about the delay. Internet seems to be running fine now this afternoon.  KDS 3/23/14 2:44 PM

Saturday was sunny and warm, almost hitting 70 by mid-afternoon. The 69.4 max temp is the warmest of the month of March (so far). Lots of people out enjoying the day, walking, riding bikes,and so on. Temps have cooled down this evening/early morning into the low 40s,but probably won't reach the 30s by sunrise. But Sunday and Monday will be colder than what we have been having, with highs in the 40s and lows in the 20s. Tuesday we have rain or snow likely (80 POP) with highs around 40, lows in the upper 20s on Tue evening with a 40 POP for snow showers. Wednesday should clear off,but remain cold for this time of year, with highs in the upper 30s, lows in the 20s. Thursday should start warming up under sun, with highs in the upper 40s, Friday looks like clouds return with showers possible, but milder with high temps around 60. Then over the weekend cooling off a bit... I found out through a close-by observer friend that my barometer of recent times was running 0.05" (approx) too low- I studied the problem and adjusted my VP2 barometer + 0.02" - let's see how that works out over the next several days. I adjusted it at 5 PM EDT on Saturday.

High temp 69.4° VP2 (1533) 
Low temp 35.9° VP2 (0300) 
Obs temp 45.8° VP2 
Peak wind gust 17 W (1437)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 91% (0754) to a low of 24% (1500)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 41° to 31°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.00"(2356) to 29.79"(1501)

At midnight obs the temp was 45.8° (VP2), Cloudy, Winds 7 NNW, Pressure at 30.00" and rising, humidity 58%, dew point of 32°.

Current conditions (1444) show 45.2° (VP2), Cloudy, Winds 8 WNW, Pressure at 30.02" and falling, humidity 48%, dew point of 26°.

Radar is showing a lot of light precipitation over the mid-Atlantic region right now, but it appears to be mostly aloft and not reaching the ground. And in the northern half of the region, the radar returns are indicating mixed precipitation. The precipitation is more likely reaching the ground in the southern part of the region at this time. 

Kevin the snowless walrus of Gaithersburg signing off on this Sunday afternoon.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Sunday, March 23, 2014

So far the internet has been fine today, so I hope this report will go out OK tonight. Sorry for the delay and confusion with my Saturday report. 

Sunday was mostly cloudy and much cooler. Radar showed snow and rain aloft this afternoon but only areas well to my south got any measurable precipitation as far as I know. Clearing with a cold frontal passage early this evening has also dropped our  temps into the low 30s, and should be somewhere in the 20s by morning. Monday should be sunny and chilly, with high temps only in the upper 30s at best. Becoming cloudy Monday night, with lows in the upper 20s, then an 80 POP for snow on Tuesday (light amounts most likely at this point, 1-3 inches at best on grassy surfaces mostly) with highs in the upper 30s, continuing into the evening with lows in the 20s. Sun should return on Wednesday but remaining cold, with highs around 40. Warming up after that, with highs around 50 on Thursday and near 60 on Friday with showers possible on Friday and well into the weekend but with seasonably mild temps continuing. 

Barometer calibration study still ongoing.Thanks for additional feedback from Rick H on the problem, along with Stan R feedback the night before. 

Sunday's precipitation: 0 

High temp 46.9° VP2 (0027)   
Low temp 32.1° VP2 (2358)  
Obs temp 32.1° VP2    
Peak wind gust  18 N (1835)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 65% (0251) to a low of 37% (2050)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 32° to 11°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.17"(2352) to 29.99"(1723)

At midnight obs the temp was 32.1° (VP2), Clear, Winds 9 N, Pressure at 30.17" and rising, humidity 42%, dew point of 11°.

Current conditions (0104) show 30.4° (VP2), Clear, Winds 2 NW, Pressure at 30.19" and rising, humidity 46%, dew point of 12°.

Radar is clear throughout the Eastern US right now, north of Florida. 

Kevin the snowless walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Monday morning. 

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Monday, March 24, 2014

Monday was mostly sunny and cold for this time of year, with some scattered clouds in the afternoon. The high temp almost made it to 40, after a morning low in the low 20s. Some teens were reported in the normally colder spots in the region. Tonight it has clouded up some, but dropped into the upper 20s. Snow is supposedly on the way, but still quite a ways out to the west. There is a winter weather advisory posted for our area from 6 AM to 3 PM. Latest thinking is that light snow will be breaking out in the mid-morning, and fall throughout the day, though it may mix with rain at times, with high temps in the mid-upper 30s. 1-3 inches of snow may accumulate, mostly only on grassy surfaces. Roads should stay just wet for the most part. Windy at times, cold on Tuesday night, with lows in the mid 20s. Wednesday, clearing off but remaining cold, with highs only in the upper 30s, lows once again in the 20s. Warming up on Thursday a bit, with highs around 50 under mostly sunny skies. Not as cold Thursday night with lows in the upper 30s, and clouds increasing. Friday the high temps should be up around 60 with cloudy skies and a good chance of showers. Over the weekend we should have partly to mostly sunny skies, with high temps in the 50s, lows in the upper 30s or low 40s. 

Barometer calibration study still ongoing. 

Monday's precipitation: 0 

High temp 39.7° VP2 (1638)   
Low temp 22.0° VP2 (0729)  
Obs temp 28.9° VP2    
Peak wind gust  12 NE (0046)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 62% (0730) to a low of 29% (1810)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 15° to 8°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.31"(0823) to 30.12"(1918)

At midnight obs the temp was 28.9° (VP2), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.13" and steady, humidity 57%, dew point of 15°.

Current conditions (0106) show 28.3° (VP2), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.12" and steady, humidity 60%, dew point of 16°.

Radar is showing a bit of light snow patches well to my west in portions of southern WV and eastern KY at this time. Moving slowly towards my area and should be here sometime in the morning, if it holds together. 

Kevin the snowless walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Tuesday morning. 

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Tuesday was cloudy and cold, with snow falling from mid-morning through late afternoon, mostly light, but occasionally moderate. It never really stuck to the roads as they remained just wet through the duration of the snow, but it did accumulate on the grass, some sidewalks, my backyard furniture, house roofs, etc. So I could get good readings of snow. With my 3.3" of snow today I am now at 18.1" of snow for March, setting a new March monthly record, surpassing the old record of 17.0" set back in March 1999. My 3.3" daily amount was not a record, as just last year I had 4.2" on March 25, 2013.  Tonight it has remained cloudy, but it should clear up over night, with temps now dropping through the 20s and should be in the low 20s by sunrise. Blustery and cold on Wednesday, with high temps in the upper 30s, but with sun. Wednesday night should see clear and cold skies, with lows down in the 20s one more night before our warm up.  Thursday should see our warm up starting,with sunny skies and highs well up in the 40s to around 50 and probably our snow melting off for the most part. Thursday night becoming cloudy and staying above freezing, with lows in the upper 30s to low 40s and showers possible late. Friday and Saturday should be cloudy and mild, with highs in the 60s and a 70 POP for showers. A 40-50 POP for showers Friday and Saturday night with lows in the 40s. Sunday and Monday should clear off with high temps in the upper 50s to lower 60s. 

Tuesday's precipitation: 0.34" (LR) M (VP2) 
Tuesday's snowfall: 3.3"

March total precipitation: 2.38"
Midnight snowfall on ground (nearest half-inch): 3.5"  
March monthly snowfall: 18.1"
Seasonal snowfall total: 55.5" 
Annual 2014 YTD precipitation total: 9.15"

High temp 34.3° VP2 (1600)   
Low temp 25.6° VP2 (0400)  
Obs temp 29.5° VP2    
Peak wind gust  8 E (1149)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 93% (1942) to a low of 55% (0026)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 32° to 14°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.14"(0002) to 29.85"(1730)

At midnight obs the temp was 29.5° (VP2), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.89" and steady, humidity 92%, dew point of 27°.

Current conditions (0115) show 26.6° (VP2), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.89" and steady, humidity 92%, dew point of 25°.

Radar is showing our Tuesday snow moving over the Atlantic Ocean off the New York and southern New England area, and also along the coastal areas. Also some light snow showers are strewn along the Appalachian Mtns to my west, from New York down through West Virginia. 

Kevin the now snowy walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Wednesday morning. 

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Wednesday, March 26, 2014
Wednesday was cold, cloudy at the start with a brief snow shower in the mid-late morning that wasn't really measurable, then sunny in the PM, with the high winds from the morning slowly slackening off.  The cold temperatures of the past few days set daily records for coldest max temperatures, 34 yesterday and 36 today beat out the old records for the 25th and 26th, which were 38 for both days in 2001 and 2013. Tonight temps have fallen back into the 20s, with a low by sunrise probably in the low 20s once again. Black ice was a problem on our neighborhood roads and sidewalks this morning, and might be a problem once again on Thursday morning, though not as bad as many wet spots dried up during the day on Wednesday, and there was some melting. I have spread some salt for traction and to help in the melting process. Speaking of melting, Thursday should see a good deal of melting, as temperatures rise into the upper 40s. Cloudy Thursday night and not as cold, lows around 40 with a slight chance of showers late in the overnight period. Friday and Saturday look cloudy and milder, with high temps in the 50s to around 60 and an 80 POP for showers on Friday and a 70 POP for showers Friday night through Saturday night. Continued mild at night, with lows in the 40s. Sunday should see partly cloudy skies with high temps in the 50s. So what is left of our snow from Tuesday should be melting off the next two days under a strong late March sun. 

Wednesday's precipitation: T (LR) M (VP2) 
Wednesday's snowfall: T

Midnight snowfall on ground (nearest half-inch): 2.0"  

High temp 35.5° VP2 (1705)   
Low temp 25.2° VP2 (0731)  
Obs temp 27.8° VP2    
Peak wind gust 24 NW (1208)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 94% (0221) to a low of 37% (1545)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 27° to 10°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.32"(2355) to 29.88"(0105)

At midnight obs the temp was 27.8° (VP2), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.31" and rising, humidity 52%, dew point of 12°.

Current conditions (0049) show 26.7° (VP2), Clear, Winds 1 NW, Pressure at 30.32" and rising, humidity 57%, dew point of 13°.

Radar is showing our Tuesday snow over the Canadian Maritimes as a really deep LOW storm center, reeking havoc in that area, spilling over into eastern Maine with snow there also. Snow is also falling over much of WI and MI at this time. Showers are falling in parts of MO and AR also. Those may be our showers later in the week.

Kevin the somewhat snowy walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Thursday morning. 

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Thursday, March 27, 2014
Thursday had a cold start, probably our last really cold day of the month and winter season, but quickly warmed under southerly component winds and full sun up to a 50 high temp, which melted all the snow around save for man-made piles and some northern exposed areas, like my front yard.  Tonight the temps have dropped some, but are still in the low 40s. We might make it down to the upper 30s by morning. High clouds have been on the increase as our next storm/frontal system approaches from the west, with a 40 POP for late night showers, even though nothing is on the radar within a few hundred miles that I see. Rain showers are quite likely on both Friday and Saturday (100 POP) with highs in the 50s on Friday and around 50 on Saturday, lows in the 40s on both Friday and Saturday nights with a 50 POP for continued rain showers. We should go from a drier than normal March to a wetter than normal March after these 2 days are finished. The month will end with quiet days on Sunday and Monday, with highs in the mid 50s Sunday and 60s on Monday, the last day of the month. 

High temp 50.3° VP2 (1726)   

Low temp 20.8° VP2 (0716)  

Obs temp 42.2° VP2    

Peak wind gust 13 E (1220)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 79% (0753) to a low of 33% (1731)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 27° to 11°

Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.43"(1058) to 30.16"(2304)

At midnight obs the temp was 42.2° (VP2), Cloudy, Winds 5 SE, Pressure at 30.17" and falling, humidity 55%, dew point of 27°.

Current conditions (0119) show 42.5° (VP2), Cloudy, Winds 5 SSE, Pressure at 30.13" and falling, humidity 55%, dew point of 27°.

Radar is showing storms and rain over northwest PA heading NE and not our way, our precipitation is out in Eastern KY, southern OH and further west in IL and IN right now, slowly moving east. More snow and rain over NY and New England, and also over the upper Midwest in MI and WI - lots of precip out in most of the Midwest right now, heading east. 

Kevin the once-again snowless walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Friday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Friday, March 28, 2014

Friday was cloudy and milder at the start, with light rain showers off and on in the AM, but with partial clearing in the afternoon we also climbed into the 60s under some sun influences. Tonight temps have remained mild (in the 50s) with clouds slowly returning (Still clear through high clouds at obs) and rain showers on the move from southern VA and NC into our area by morning. Temps should not drop much under 50 overnight. Saturday looks to be cloudy and rainy (near 100 POP), heavy at times in the evening possibly,with high temps in the 50s. Showers overnight with lows in the 40s (near 100 POP), then a 70 POP of mostly AM showers on Sunday, a bit cooler with high temps around 50. Still cloudy Sunday night for a while (50 POP for early evening showers possible), but gradual clearing, windy and a bit colder with lows in the 30s . Sunny and seasonable to start the new week, with highs in the 60s on Monday through Wednesday (as we bridge from March over to April) and lows in the 40s. Thursday into Friday looks like a 60 POP for the return of more rain, with highs around 60 and lows in the 40s. 

Friday's precipitation: 0.14" (LR) 0.11" (VP2) 0.07" Max rain rate @ 0737 

March total precipitation: 2.52"
Annual 2014 YTD precipitation total: 9.29"

High temp 64.1° VP2 (1729)   
Low temp 41.8° VP2 (0037)  
Obs temp 57.2° VP2    
Peak wind gust 23 S (1554)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 92% (1121) to a low of 54% (0059)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 54° to 26°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.17"(0000) to 29.96"(1602)

At midnight obs the temp was 57.2° (VP2), Clear/high clouds, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.06" and steady, humidity 82%, dew point of 52°.

Current conditions (0312) show 50.9° (VP2), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.04" and falling, humidity 90%, dew point of 48°.

Radar is showing our Saturday rain in a wide area to my south in parts of southern VA and eastern North Carolina, heading NE so it will take a while to work straight north.  Lots more rain well to the SW also, which will be our heavier rain later on Saturday most likely. 

Kevin the snowless walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Saturday morning. 

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Saturday, March 29, 2014

Saturday was cloudy and very wet, with occasional fog and light to moderate rain steadily falling through most of the day.  Temperatures remained in the 50s most of the day, only dropping below the 50 mark just before midnight obs. Rain overnight has continued (100 POP), temps dropping off further into the mid 40s and should reach the low 40s by sunrise. Showers will fall on Sunday (continued 100 POP) with temps no higher than the upper 40s, then showers finally ending Sunday night (still 80 POP) with temps dropping into the mid 30s. Sunny and seasonable as we start out the new workweek,with high temps in the 60s and lows Monday night into the 30s once again. 60s for highs and 40s for lows should be the rule most of the coming week through Thursday under sunny to partly cloudy skies. Thursday evening and Friday looks to be cloudy with a 60 POP for rain, highs in the 50s and lows in the 40s. Hopefully we will clear up for the weekend and see some sun unlike this weekend. My front yard snow pile, so large only a few days ago, is really shrinking fast and should be wiped out sometime on Sunday, with green grass coming up as the snow melts and the ground expands and thaws. Bulbs are popping up slowly also so flowers can't be too far behind.  

Saturday's precipitation: 1.07" (LR) 1.07" (VP2) 1.76" Max rain rate (MRR) @ 1634 

March total precipitation: 3.59"
Annual 2014 YTD precipitation total: 10.36"

High temp 57.2° VP2 (0000)   
Low temp 49.6° VP2 (2357)  
Obs temp 49.6° VP2    
Peak wind gust 13 E (1634)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (2204) to a low of 81% (0016)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 54° to 47°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 30.08"(0043) to 29.54"(2115)

At midnight obs the temp was 49.6° (VP2), Cloudy, Winds 3 NW, Pressure at 29.54" and steady, humidity 97%, dew point of 49°.

Current conditions (0434) show 46.1° (VP2), Cloudy, Winds 4 WSW, Pressure at 29.51" and falling, humidity 97%, dew point of 45°. So far 0.17" of rain has fallen since midnight obs (VP2)

Radar is showing continuing showers scattered about the region, still moving up from the south. Behind the front up in the colder air snow apparently is falling in sections of western PA, OH, and western WV, mostly in the mountain areas. 

Kevin the wet walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Sunday morning. 

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard weather station report for Sunday, March 30, 2014
Sunday was cloudy and very wet once again, with a surprise interlude of snow and sleet in the afternoon that added quite a bit to the day, but after the temp bottomed out at 33.5 around 4 PM, the temp started to climb the rest of the day, and the snow changed back over to rain, and rose to over 40 by obs, and melted quite a bit of the snow and sleet that fell earlier. Temps started out the day at obs last night at just about 50, and dropped all morning and in the afternoon till 4 pm. Snow stuck to cartops and grassy areas, and my lawn furniture out back, with slushy accumulations on our road out front.  Now there is just minor accumulations left in selected, favorable spots. The snow was spotty around the region, with parts of Carroll County to my N/NE looking to be in the bulls eye with a winter storm warning and accumulations nearing 10 inches in a few locations, according to the latest Public Information Statements out of our local NWS Forecast office in Sterling VA. Overnight it will remain cloudy but the storm will move out to the east and north. Winds have been active at times on Sunday and should remain so overnight, helping to dry out the wet roadways and hopefully minimizing black ice formation, as temps should drop down to close to freezing by sunrise, though early so far on Monday morning temps are holding in the low 40s. We should be back into seasonable temps for this time of year early to mid week, as we bridge from late March into early April. Highs should mostly be in the 60s during through Wednesday, with lows in the 30s on Sunday and Monday night but 40s later on. Upper 50s to low 60s on Thur-Sat with a 50-60 POP for showers on those days. 

Sunday's precipitation: 1.93" (LR) 1.90" (VP2) 2.04" Max rain rate (MRR) @ 1747

Sunday's snowfall: 1.1" 
March total precipitation: 5.52"
Midnight snowfall on ground (nearest half-inch): 0.5"  
March monthly snowfall: 19.2"
Seasonal snowfall total: 56.6" 
Annual 2014 YTD precipitation total: 12.29"

High temp 49.6° VP2 (0000)   
Low temp 33.5° VP2 (1552)  
Obs temp 42.0° VP2    
Peak wind gust 18 NW (0734)
Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0000) to a low of 81% (2359)
Dew point temperatures ranged from 49° to 33°
Barometric pressure values ranged from 29.80"(2341) to 29.50"(0525)

At midnight obs the temp was 42.0° (VP2), Cloudy, Winds 11 NNW, Pressure at 29.80" and rising, humidity 81%, dew point of 37°.

Current conditions (0129) show 41.4° (VP2), Cloudy, Winds 10 NNW, Pressure at 29.83" and rising, humidity 81%, dew point of 36°.

Radar is showing our Sunday storm continuing to move out and up (East and North) with returns over sections of NE PA, NJ, NY and New England at this time. 

Kevin the wet, slightly snowy walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Monday morning. 

Archived