Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
What's the Weather Where You are?

terpguy

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Wednesday was a bit more tranquil/uneventful after wild rainy Tuesday. Overnight light showers made up the rainfall total for today. Most of the daylight hours were foggy, muggy, and cloudy, with occasional drizzle but no sun. Overnight tonight scattered light showers may fall, as the radar screen shows a lot of small returns headed N-NE but so far nothing has fallen at my location. Thursday should eventually clear off a bit, highs in the low 80s and a 50 POP for showers. Sunny on Friday and a bit cooler, highs in the upper 70s, lows in the upper 50s. Saturday looks cloudy right now with highs in the lower 70s. Saturday night looks showery (70 POP) with falling temps into the upper 40s by morning. Cloudy and chilly on Sunday with a 50 POP for showers with highs only in the upper 50s and lows in the lower 40s. Monday and into midweek should see high temps rising slowly through the 60s with lows in the mid 40s to low 50s with plenty of sun by day and plenty of stars at night. Some scattered bits of fall color starting to show here and there in my locale.

Wednesday's precipitation: 0.21" (LR) 0.24" (VP2) Max rain rate (MRR) 3.10"/hr @0230

October total precipitation 3.29"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 31.55"

VP2 data for Wednesday as follows:

High temp 76.0° (1653) (73.6° RS - possible malfunction so the RS data is under review)

(RS stands for my Radio Shack wireless thermometer being used as a backup)

Low temp 64.5° (0822) (66.0° RS)

Obs temp tonight 69.3° (VP2) M° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 4 MPH from the E (1228)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 99% (0010) to a low of 83% (1640)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 73° to 64°.

Pressures ranged from 30.13"(2357) to 29.95"(0033)

At midnight obs, temp was 69.3°(VP2)/M°(RS), Cloudy/Foggy, Winds Calm, Pressure 30.13" and steady, Humidity 97% with a dew point of 69°.

Currently at 0223 EDT, the temp is 68.6°(VP2)/M°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.12" and steady, humidity 98% with the dew point at 68°.

Currently the radar screen is showing scattered light small showers moving N-NE through the region.

Kevin the Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Thursday morning.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Thursday, October 4, 2012

Thursday started out cloudy, muggy, damp with a few sprinkles in the am, then cleared out in the afternoon after the passage of a weak cold front. We have cooled off some, but nothing like what we will be cooling off on Sunday and Monday. Temperatures reached the upper 70s in the lat AM, but started dropping in the PM through the 70s and 60s and now is in the upper 50s in the early morning hours of Friday. We should have a sunny, mild day on Friday with highs around 80. Clouding up a bit on Saturday with highs in the 70s, but the rain showers associated with a stronger cold front should not start falling till overnight (30 POP) and into Sunday (50 POP), when temperatures will fall into the mid 50s for our high temps. Clearing off Sunday night with lows in the low 40s. Sunny on Monday with highs in the upper 50s to low 60s. A continued sunny pattern should persist into the mid-week period, with a slow warmup into the high 60s by Wednesday. Some scattered bits of fall color starting to show here and there in my locale.

Thursday's precipitation: T (LR) 0.00" (VP2)

VP2 data for Thursday as follows:

High temp 77.2° (1706) (77.5° RS - all working OK with this unit now)

Low temp 60.2° (2358) (61.7° RS)

Obs temp tonight 60.2° (VP2) 61.7° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 10 MPH from the W (1525)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 99% (0905) to a low of 62% (1710)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 71° to 58°.

Pressures ranged from 30.16"(1042) to 30.10"(1449)

At midnight obs, temp was 60.2°(VP2)/61.7°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure 30.14" and steady, Humidity 94% with a dew point of 59°.

Currently at 0137 EDT, the temp is 58.7°(VP2)/60.1°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.14" and steady, humidity 94% with the dew point at 57°.

Currently the radar screen is clear in the 4-state region. Rain showers can be found over parts of Maine and New Brunswick, and also scattered out in areas of the Midwest, mostly covering the states of MI, IN, and IL at this time.

Kevin the Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Friday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Friday, October 5 2012

I have a weather observer job tomorrow (Saturday) at a local street festival, where I have to monitor a rain gauge from 7 AM to 4 PM from a remote parking lot near the festival. I have to get up really early (for me) to get there (half hour away) on time, so I am posting early tonight- some of my data will be incomplete (mostly my midnight obs data probably) - Nothing significant as it looks, the basic data/highs and lows for the day has already been set for the day. Closest rain is hundreds of miles away. Any questions please let me know.

Friday was sunny and warm, relatively dry compared with what we were earlier in the week. Tonight is clear and mild, with temps by sunrise Saturday probably in the upper 50s. Tomorrow should be sunny in the morning for the start of the festival (it actually starts at 11 AM and ends at 4 PM) but then turn partly to mostly cloudy in the afternoon with winds picking up a bit as a strong cold front draws near. Saturday night there is a chance of showers (60 POP) with temps dropping off into the mid 40s. Cloudy and quite cool on Sunday, with an 80 POP for showers during the day, with high temps only around 50. Columbus Day should see more sun with high temps in the upper 50s. The rest of the week looks sunny and dry, cool at first then warming through the 60s by day by Wednesday, then cooling off into the 50s again late in the week. Lows in the upper 30s to low 40s on Sunday and Monday, then 50s by midweek, the dropping again into the low 40s by week's end. Some scattered bits of fall color starting to show here and there in my locale.

Friday's precipitation: 0

VP2 data for Friday as follows:

High temp 78.5° (1605) (78.8° RS)

Low temp 54.7° (0723) (56.3° RS)

Obs temp tonight M° (VP2) M° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 7 MPH from the N (1413)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 98% (0914) to a low of 48% (1548)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 63° to 53°.

Pressures ranged from 30.15"(0927) to 29.97"(2240)

At midnight obs, temp was M°(VP2)/M°(RS), Partly Cloudy, Winds Calm.

Currently at 2358 EDT, the temp is 62.3°(VP2)/63.5°(RS), Partly Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.96" and falling, humidity 88% with the dew point at 59°.

Currently the radar screen is showing a line of showers oriented mostly SW/NE, moving ENE in most of OH, southern IN, just heading into western NY and NW PA at this time.

Kevin the Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off late on this Friday evening.

Gaithersburg Maryland V2 backyard report for Saturday, October 6, 2012

Saturday was quite a day. Unfortunately some sad news to start with. Our family dog of almost 15 years Cosmo had to be put to sleep due to constant crying pain from his advancing cancer and weakened condition, my wife took him to the vet for his final visit in the morning while I was at the Taste of Bethesda street festival. Great thanks to many of you who have sent along condolences and well wishes. Cosmo will be missed but he is in a better place now.

The day dawned partly cloudy, and waves of clouds interspersed with clear skies were observed from the rooftop of the parking lot where I set up the rain gauge just in case we got any rain. The day began rather mild in the 50s, 60s into the 70s by midday, then the strong cold front passed through with clearing skies about 3 PM, and temperatures began to drop and winds picked up. Still everyone had a great day weatherwise at the festival, and great crowds enjoyed the food, entertainment and exhibits on the streets of downtown Bethesda. Any questions please let me know.

Saturday night has seen the temperatures drop through the 50s and are now in the mid 40s. Rain is in the forecast for Sunday, with a chilly high temperature around 50° . Clearing out slowly on Sunday night with still a 40 POP (early) for showers, with lows in the low 40s. Sunny and still cool on Columbus Day with highs in the upper 50s and low temps dropping down into the upper 30s. Sunny through the week, with highs reaching the low 70s on Wednesday, then cooling off the rest of the week with highs in the 60s and lows in the 40s. The scattered bits of fall color have increased somewhat of late but nowhere near peak color yet, still a few weeks away.

Saturday's precipitation: 0

VP2 data for Saturday as follows:

High temp 73.6° (1218) (74.3° RS)

Low temp 49.6° (2354) (50.5° RS)

Obs temp tonight 49.6° (VP2) 50.5° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 20 MPH from the N (1508)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0842) to a low of 55% (1544)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 63° to 44°.

Pressures ranged from 30.06"(2303) to 29.86"(1055)

At midnight obs, temp was 49.6°(VP2)/50.5°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm. Pressure at 30.06" and rising, humidity 82% with the dew point at 44°.

Currently at 0448 EDT, the temp is 48.1°(VP2)/49.3°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.08" and rising, humidity 90% with the dew point at 45°.

Currently the radar screen is showing an area of rain to my south over SE VA, headed northeast. There are also scattered lines of light showers over the mountains of WV and PA to my west at this time.

Kevin the Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Sunday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Sunday, October 7, 2012

Sunday was a peaceful, uneventful day, especially compared with Saturday. I rested up quite a bit and watched some football, along with observing a bit of light rain.

The day dawned cloudy and quite cool, our coolest day of the fall so far. The predicted rain held off for a good part of the day, though my VP2 showed a bit of light rain activity in the mid-morning hours while I was still sleeping. More rain fell off to my south and east I believe. Most of today's light rain appeared to have fallen between about 5:45 PM EDT and 7 PM. It has since cleared off and temperatures are dropping nicely through the 40s and into the upper 30s by sunrise Monday as it looks right now. It rose up into the low 50s during the "heat of the day" on Sunday. Somewhat of a similar pattern is supposed to develop on Monday, with rain showers possible (50 POP during day, 60 POP in the evening) through mostly cloudy skies with highs in the 50s. With the return to work on Tuesday sun should return with highs around 60. A slight warmup on Wednesday and the rest of the week under sunny skies with highs in the mid 60s through Saturday. The scattered bits of fall color have increased somewhat of late but nowhere near peak color yet, still a few weeks away. Our recent cool snap may accelerate the color change in the next several days, we shall see.

Sunday's precipitation: 0.13" (LR) 0.08"(VP2) 0.07" max rain rate (MRR) 0.07" @ 1849

October total precipitation 3.42"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 31.68"

VP2 data for Sunday as follows:

High temp 53.8° (1412) (55.0° RS)

Low temp 46.0° (2356) (46.8° RS)

Obs temp tonight 46.0° (VP2) 46.8° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 4 MPH from the E (1141)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 95% (2045) to a low of 76% (0102)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 48° to 43°.

Pressures ranged from 30.20"(2356) to 30.04"(0154)

At midnight obs, temp was 46.0°(VP2)/46.8°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm. Pressure at 30.19" and rising, humidity 94% with the dew point at 44°.

Currently at 0441 EDT, the temp is 40.9°(VP2)/41.5°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.22" and steady, humidity 95% with the dew point at 40°.

Currently the radar screen is showing a few thin slivers of precipitation cutting through parts of VA right now, heading ENE towards our general area.

Kevin the Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Monday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Monday, October 8, 2012

Monday was another peaceful day but a bit busier than Sunday, as I was off for the Columbus Day holiday and I met my daughter Robin for a late lunch at Red, Hot and Blue about 5 miles away. And plenty of exciting sports to watch, especially for a Monday.

The day dawned partly cloudy and cool once again, with my lowest min of the season so far. I also had my coolest max so far this season, and set a daily record for lowest max temp ever for October 8, surpassing the old record of 56° set back in 2000 and 2001 by 6 degrees. It was the coolest max day since 46.4° was recorded back on April 23. The predicted rain fell mostly elsewhere, with just drizzle or light sprinkles falling off and on most of the day. Temps have dropped into the mid 40s in the early Tuesday morning hours, and a bit heavier rain has commenced over the past few minutes. Only a 30 POP overnight, and very light amounts are expected. Tuesday should see mostly cloudy skies with highs in the upper 50s, with a 20 POP for showers. Partial clearing on Tuesday night with lows in the low 40s. Wednesday should see clearing skies and warmer temps, with highs in the upper 60s. The rest of the week should be pretty seasonable, with highs in the low-mid 60s and lows generally in the 40s through Saturday. Milder Sunday with temps maxing out around 70. The scattered bits of fall color have increased somewhat of late but nowhere near peak color yet, still a few weeks away. However, this recent cool snap may accelerate the color change in the next several days, we shall see.

Monday's precipitation: 0.01" (LR) 0.01"(VP2)

October total precipitation 3.43"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 31.69"

VP2 data for Monday as follows:

High temp 49.9° (1500) (50.9° RS)

Low temp 40.6° (2356) (41.2° RS)

Obs temp tonight 45.8° (VP2) 46.9° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 7 MPH from the N (1141)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0847) to a low of 75% (1450)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 46° to 39°.

Pressures ranged from 30.33"(1205) to 30.19"(0013)

At midnight obs, temp was 45.8°(VP2)/46.9°(RS), Cloudy, Winds NW@2. Pressure at 30.24" and steady, humidity 90% with the dew point at 43°.

Currently at 0204 EDT, the temp is 45.5°(VP2)/46.6°(RS), Cloudy with light rain, Winds 1 MPH from the N, Pressure at 30.23" and steady, humidity 92% with the dew point at 43°.

Currently the radar screen is showing a line of scattered showers running SW/NE from central VA through my area and up into SE PA at this time. The showers are moving NE along this line.

Kevin the Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Tuesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Tuesday was back to work day after a long 3-day holiday weekend. Pretty quiet at the office, though I had a bit more interaction with others than I normally have. Not particularly a productive day, but I got into a different mode of processing upcoming new editions that probably will be taking up most of my time this week. I started to gather information from websites on 2013 weather calendars as I normally do in mid-October.

The day dawned mostly cloudy but with a few sunny periods in the morning, then clouds took back over. We had some patchy very light showers overnight, and some occasional drizzle and fog. With the little bit of sun temps rose about 10 degrees today, through the 50s to around 60. Tonight amidst the clouds temps are in the 50s and should stay there overnight. On Wednesday, after some morning patchy drizzle, clouds and fog, we should see skies turn sunny in the afternoon with highs around 70. The rest of the week looks to be sunny with highs mostly in the 60s and lows in the 40s. A warmup on Sunday - Tuesday with high temps in the low-mid 70s and lows in the 50s. No real rain chances for the next several days, a pattern that occurs often in October in this area. The scattered bits of fall color have increased somewhat of late but nowhere near peak color yet, still a few weeks away. However, this recent cool snap may accelerate the color change in the next several days.

Tuesday's precipitation: 0.01" (LR) 0.01"(VP2)

October total precipitation 3.44"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 31.70"

VP2 data for Tuesday as follows:

High temp 59.9° (1517) (61.3° RS)

Low temp 45.2° (2356) (46.2° RS)

Obs temp tonight 55.4° (VP2) 56.8° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 7 MPH from the N (0917)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 95% (0624) to a low of 74% (1505)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 53° to 43°.

Pressures ranged from 30.25"(0007) to 30.08"(2357)

At midnight obs, temp was 55.4°(VP2)/56.8°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm. Pressure at 30.08" and falling, humidity 92% with the dew point at 53°.

Currently at 0204 EDT, the temp is 55.0°(VP2)/56.3°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 1 MPH from the NE, Pressure at 30.05" and falling, humidity 94% with the dew point at 53°.

Currently the radar screen is showing a bit of shower activity along the southern NJ shore areas extending up to parts of Long Island NY and Cape Cod.

Kevin the Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Wednesday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Wednesday dawned sunny and warmed up more than the past few days, into the mid 60s. A cold front passed through during the late afternoon/early evening accompanied by menacing looking clouds but were dry as I was heading home through them - winds picked up briefly a bit with the frontal passage. Temps should drop down to around 40 by morning. The next few days should see sunny skies with highs mostly in the low 60s through Saturday with lows in the low 40s on Thursday and upper 30s on Friday. Cloudy on Sunday and milder, with highs in the low 70s, continuing onto Monday. Tuesday and Wednesday should be partly cloudy and cooling off a bit into the upper 60s. Continued no real rain chances for the next several days, a pattern that occurs often in October in this area. The scattered bits of fall color have continued to slowly increase but nowhere near peak color yet, still a few weeks away. However, this recent cooler snap may accelerate the color change in the next several days.

Wednesday's precipitation: 0

High temp 67.3° (1612) (68.7° RS)

Low temp 49.6° (2359) (50.7° RS)

Obs temp tonight 49.6° (VP2) 50.7° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 12 MPH from the SW (1911)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0848) to a low of 53% (1437)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 54° to 42°.

Pressures ranged from 30.11"(2357) to 29.88"(1616)

At midnight obs, temp was 49.6°(VP2)/50.7°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm. Pressure at 30.11" and rising, humidity 78% with the dew point at 43°.

Currently at 0153 EDT, the temp is 48.1°(VP2)/49.1°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.14" and rising, humidity 77% with the dew point at 41°.

Currently the radar screen is showing rain showers over northern Maine moving into New Brunswick, a few showers over central NY and a light mixed bag of snow and rain over parts of WI and the upper peninsula of MI at this time.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 Backyard Report for Thursday, October 11, 2012

Thursday was predominantly sunny and cooler, with highs only around 60. Cool and clear tonight, with temps now in the low 40s that might head down into the upper 30s by morning. Friday should be sunny and a bit milder, but then cool off as another cold front passes through later on in the day, and a freeze watch is out for our county for Friday night/early Saturday morning with lows expected in the low-mid 30s. Not that unusual, I have hit freezing as early as October 3, back in 2003 (30) with my long term average first freeze date being October 20. But of late I have been hitting my first 32 reading in early November under this general warming trend we have been experiencing. We should be in the low 60s for highs on Saturday, then a warm up with lows Saturday night only in the upper 40s and highs on Sunday and Monday under partly cloudy skies up in the low-mid 70s. A zonal flow will keep the cooler air bottled up in Canada for the coming week, and highs next week from Tuesday on through Friday generally in the upper 60s and lows in the 40s to around 50. Mostly sunny to partly cloudy sky conditions should be expected. Continued no real rain chances for the next several days, a pattern that occurs often in October in this area. The scattered bits of fall color have continued to slowly increase but nowhere near peak color yet, still a few weeks away.

Thursday's precipitation: 0

High temp 59.6° (1615) (61.3° RS)

Low temp 42.9° (0751) (43.5° RS)

Obs temp tonight 43.9° (VP2) 44.4° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 13 MPH from the N (1051)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 88% (2343) to a low of 42% (1551)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 44° to 33°.

Pressures ranged from 30.31"(2343) to 30.11"(0003)

At midnight obs, temp was 43.9°(VP2)/44.4°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm. Pressure at 30.20" and steady, humidity 88% with the dew point at 41°.

Currently at 0222 EDT, the temp is 42.1°(VP2)/42.6°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.17" and falling, humidity 91% with the dew point at 40°.

Currently the radar screen is showing mixed rain and snow up in northern Maine, part of a broken line extending SW from there through parts of NY State as just scattered rain showers into lower Michigan down to southern Illinois at this time.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Friday, October 12, 2012

Friday was sunny and pleasantly cool, with my first sub 40 min of the season in the early morning hours, rising just above 60 in the afternoon before the temp started to drop behind a cold front that blew through in the afternoon - literally, with some nice winds at times around 3 PM. Tonight the winds have lessened down to their usual tranquil calm speeds here in my protected location, helping to drop the temperature down under clear skies into the 30s at the current time, with a freeze warning for my area posted, as temps by sunrise should drop down to 32 or possibly below. My wife went out in the backyard and pulled her sensitive basil plants - in freezing weather the plants turn black as she was telling me, and render the plant totally useless as an edible, flavorful herb. Sunny skies on Saturday and warming up in the mid 60s. Clouds should increase a bit Saturday night and warm up with lows only in the 40s. Sunday should be partly cloudy and milder, with highs in the low 70s. Monday should be partly to mostly cloudy with a 50 POP for showers as a front approaches the area with highs in the low 70s. Thereafter through Wednesday we should be sunny and seasonably cool with highs in the 60s and lows in the 40s. A bit cloudy and milder weather should round out the rest of the days of the week. The scattered bits of fall color have continued to slowly increase but nowhere near peak color yet, still a few weeks away.

High temp 61.2° (1345) (62.1° RS)

Low temp 39.2° (0630) (39.6° RS)

Obs temp tonight 40.8° (VP2) 41.0° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 23 MPH from the NW (1515)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (0829) to a low of 46% (1711)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 45° to 35°.

Pressures ranged from 30.46"(2356) to 30.16"(0641)

At midnight obs, temp was 40.8°(VP2)/41.0°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm. Pressure at 30.46" and rising, humidity 83% with the dew point at 36°.

Currently at 0328 EDT, the temp is 35.8°(VP2)/36.1°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.48" and rising, humidity 90% with the dew point at 33°.

Currently the radar screen is pretty clear throughout the Eastern US with just a small area of showers over parts of WI and IL at this time.

Kevin the Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Saturday morning.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Saturday, October 13, 2012

Saturday was a sunny, beautiful cool day, after a chilly morning when I came close (33.8°) but didn't quite make the freezing mark for my early morning minimum temperature. I attended a wonderful memorial service for a long time friend Ed Branges, who passed away earlier this year. He was a very avid volksmarcher (walker) and we were active fellow club members together with many others in our local Sugarloafers volksmarch club. The service was held locally in Seneca Creek State Park only about a mile from my house in a park that Ed loved to walk in. Many took a walk in the park after the service on this gloriously sunny day.

Tonight it is partly cloudy with temps in the upper 40s dropping into the mid 40s by sunrise. Sunday should be partly cloudy with high temps in the mid 70s. Becoming cloudy on Sunday night and Monday, with a 50 POP for showers on Monday as yet another cold front passes through the area. Tuesday through Thursday of next week should see sunny skies with high temps in the 60s and lows in the 40s. Thereafter showers and clouds look to be coming in on Friday and possibly into the next weekend. The scattered bits of fall color have continued to slowly increase but nowhere near peak color yet, still a few weeks away.

High temp 57.5° (1611) (59.0° RS)

Low temp 33.8° (0746) (34.0° RS)

Obs temp tonight 47.9° (VP2) 48.4° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 11 MPH from the E (1858)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (0754) to a low of 45% (1532)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 40° to 30°.

Pressures ranged from 30.55"(0934) to 30.30"(2354)

At midnight obs, temp was 47.9°(VP2)/48.4°(RS), PCldy, Winds Calm. Pressure at 30.30" and falling, humidity 73% with the dew point at 40°.

Currently at 0514 EDT, the temp is 47.9°(VP2)/48.4°(RS), PCloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 30.24" and falling, humidity 87% with the dew point at 44°.

Currently the radar screen is showing precipitation through much of New England, including mixed precip. in parts of northern New England. Much of upstate NY is also covered with precipitation, stretching west through southern Ontario and into parts of lower Michigan and then a good bit of precip out in other parts of the Midwest, centered around southern WI, much of IL, MO and AR at this time.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Sunday, October 14, 2012

Sunday was a sunny, milder day as the max temp rose about 15° higher than Saturday's max and the min temp rose about 12° higher. Tonight the dew point is creeping up through the 50s under cloudy, warming winds from the SW. There is a 20 POP for overnight showers, but radar shows very scattered, very light action to my west at this time. Monday should find cloudy skies continuing, with an 80 POP for showers and even a possible isolated thundershower as dew points rise into the 60s and air temps rise into the 70s. A 50 POP for trailing showers early on Monday evening, then clearing and cooler temps move in, with lows in the upper 40s. Temps should be mostly in the mid-upper 60s to around 70 on Thursday, with lows mostly in the 40s under sunny skies through most of the week. Clouds on Thursday late with possible showers (30 POP) on Friday, then clearing and a bit cooler over the weekend. The scattered bits of fall color have continued to slowly increase but nowhere near peak color yet, still a few weeks away.

Sunday's precipitation: 0

High temp 72.3° (1604) (72.5° RS)

Low temp 46.1° (0746) (46.6° RS)

Obs temp tonight 64.0° (VP2) 64.8° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 14 MPH from the E (1325)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 92% (0829) to a low of 56% (1443)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 57° to 40°.

Pressures ranged from 30.31"(0005) to 29.94"(2233)

At midnight obs, temp was 64.0°(VP2)/64.8°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm. Pressure at 29.94" and falling, humidity 79% with the dew point at 57°.

Currently at 0220 EDT, the temp is 65.7°(VP2)/66.6°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 6 MPH from the NE (widely variable in speed and direction right now), Pressure at 29.88" and falling, humidity 80% with the dew point at 59°.

Currently the radar screen is showing light scattered showers to my west, oriented SW/NE on a line from Eastern TN through to upstate NY and northern ME at this time.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Monday, October 15, 2012

Monday dawned mild and cloudy, with showers approaching from the SW. Rain didn't break out till midday, with the heaviest rain of the day falling between 1230 and 1430. Right around 1330 was the heaviest of the day, with a very respectable 8.60"/hour rain rate recorded at that time. Rain showers also fell around 1630 and between 1830 and 1900. The cold front passed through and cleared the area during the evening, with temps and dew points dropping through the 60s and 50s. Clear skies overnight with lows falling into the mid-upper 40s. Sunny skies on Tuesday through Thursday, with highs in the 60s and lows in the 40s. Late Thursday (evening) and into Friday clouds and mild 70 temps should be the rule, with a 40 POP for showers as another cold front passes through the area. 60s for highs and 40s for lows over the weekend with sunny skies should give us another fine fall weekend. Fall color has continued to slowly increase but is still nowhere near peak color yet, probably not reaching that apex till the last week of the month.

Monday's precipitation: 0.75" (LR) 0.77" (VP2) 8.60"/hr Max Rain Rate (MRR) @ 1327

October total precipitation 4.19"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 32.45"

High temp 67.3° (1156) (67.8° RS)

Low temp 52.4° (0746) (53.2° RS)

Obs temp tonight 52.6° (VP2) 53.6° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 13 MPH from the E (0323)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (1459) to a low of 79% (0000)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 64° to 49°.

Pressures ranged from 29.94"(0000) to 29.69"(1538)

At midnight obs, temp was 52.6°(VP2)/53.2°(RS), Clear, Winds 2 MPH from the SW. Pressure at 29.83" and rising, humidity 88% with the dew point at 49°.

Currently at 0206 EDT, the temp is 51.8°(VP2)/52.2°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.83" and rising, humidity 86% with the dew point at 48°.

Currently the radar screen is showing frontal rain showers moving through coastal parts of New England and offshore off of NJ and Long Island NY.

Kevin the Walrus of Gaithersburg signing off early on this Tuesday morning

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Tuesday was a sunny, cooler, drier day that quite a nice fall day for sure. Temps just managed to get over the 60 mark, and tonight have dropped down into the mid 40s. I don't think it will drop much more as the dew point is still at 41 right now, early on Wednesday morning. It should be sunny on Wednesday with the high temp reaching the upper 60s by late afternoon. Wednesday night clear and cool with lows in the 40s. Thursday should become cloudy with a 30 POP for showers and a high temp around 70. Thursday night should be mostly cloudy with a 60 POP for showers and thundershowers and a low in the mid 50s. Friday should find the sun returning in full force, with highs in the low-mid 60s. Over the weekend the sun should predominate our weather with highs in the low-mid 60s and lows in the low 40s. Sunny and milder weather at the start of the new workweek with highs in the low 70s. I really noticed the fall color this morning on the way into the office, it is really coming out nicely right now. Still not peak yet, but could be within a week. It looks to be a really nice fall color season this year.

Tuesday's precipitation: 0

High temp 61.0° (1612) (62.3° RS)

Low temp 43.8° (2359) (44.4° RS)

Obs temp tonight 43.8° (VP2) 44.4° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 13 MPH from the N (1041)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 92% (2356) to a low of 50% (1623)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 49° to 42°.

Pressures ranged from 29.95"(2359) to 29.83"(0000)

At midnight obs, temp was 43.8°(VP2)/44.4°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm. Pressure at 29.95" and rising, humidity 92% with the dew point at 42°.

Currently at 0213 EDT, the temp is 42.3°(VP2)/42.8°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.98" and rising, humidity 93% with a dew point of 41°.

Currently the radar screen is showing very light, scattered showers over parts of lower MI,northern IN and northern OH at this time.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Wednesday was a mostly sunny, milder day with some high cirrus clouds around foretelling the rain that is on the way for later on Thursday. Temps reached the mid 60s after lows around 40 around sunrise this morning. Milder temps tonight with more clouds and a light easterly wind and falling barometer ahead of the cold front that is pushing east towards our area right now through later on Thursday into Friday. By morning low temps should be in the upper 40s to around 50. Mostly sunny skies on Thursday with high temps around 70 and a 50 POP for afternoon showers. Thursday night the POP increases to 90 and cloudy with widespread showers and thundershowers and lows in the 50s. Friday perhaps a stray shower early but it should be partly cloudy with a high temp in the mid 70s. Cooling off Friday night into the 40s, then sunny and seasonable over the weekend with highs in the 60s and lows in the low-mid 40s. Milder at the start of the week, with highs around 70-75 and lows around 50 on Monday and Tuesday. Fall color continues to increase in coverage and brilliance as noted on this morning's ride in to the office. Still not at peak yet, but should be within a week or so. It is still looking to be a really nice fall color season this year.

High temp 65.5° (1615) (67.1° RS)

Low temp 39.7° (0736) (40.1° RS)

Obs temp tonight 55.6° (VP2) 56.5° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 8 MPH from the E (1406)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0936) to a low of 53% (1442)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 53° to 38°.

Pressures ranged from 30.05"(1022) to 29.93"(1700)

At midnight obs, temp was 55.6°(VP2)/56.5°(RS), PCldy, Winds 2 MPH from the E. Pressure at 29.95" and steady, humidity 89% with the dew point at 53°.

Currently at 0225 EDT, the temp is 53.9°(VP2)/54.9°(RS), Clear, Winds 1 MPH from the E, Pressure at 29.93" and falling, humidity 93% with the dew point at 52°.

Currently the radar screen is showing a strong band of showers and possibly some imbedded thundershowers running roughly north-south through AL, central TN, central KY, a lot of IN into much of lower MI and SE WI at this time.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Thursday, October 18, 2012

Thursday was cloudy and mild, but rain-free most of the day. Mid-evening shower then a late evening (after 2300 mostly) thundershower that caused brief power failures that knocked me offline for a few seconds. Most of today's rainfall fell between 2300 and 2400 (.42" on the VP2 gauge). Thunder still rumbling faintly during the early morning hours of Friday (90 POP overnight) with light rain continuing to fall. Gradually the front should clear our area by Friday evening, with one more mild day on Friday with cloudy skies early and still a 40 POP for showers in the am then partial clearing the rest of the daylight hours. High temps should be in the low 70s. The weekend looks cooler, drier and sunny, with highs in the mid-upper 60s and lows in the 40s through Monday. A warmup Tuesday-Thursday should find sunny skies with high temps in the low-mid 70s, lows in the upper 40s to low 50s. Fall color continues to increase in coverage and brilliance as noted on this morning's ride in to the office. Still not at peak yet, but should be within a week or so. It is still looking to be a really nice fall color season this year.

Thursday's precipitation: 0.58" (LR) 0.56" (VP2) 8.00"/hr max rain rate (MRR) @ 2316

October total precipitation 4.77"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 33.03"

High temp 68.3° (1536) (69.3° RS)

Low temp 51.0° (0657) (51.8° RS)

Obs temp tonight 60.1° (VP2) 61.0° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 14 MPH from the NE (1406)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (2306) to a low of 64% (1537)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 59° to 49°.

Pressures ranged from 29.98"(1043) to 29.81"(2222)

At midnight obs, temp was 60.1°(VP2)/61.0°(RS), Cldy with lt rain and thunder, Winds 2 MPH from the S. Pressure at 29.83" and steady, humidity 96% with the dew point at 59°.

Currently at 0204 EDT, the temp is 59.1°(VP2)/59.9°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm at the moment, Pressure at 29.81" and rising, humidity 97% with the dew point at 58°. A total of 0.24" of rainfall since midnight (VP2).

Currently the radar screen is showing the heavy showers and thundershowers that we had Thursday evening moving off to the NE towards NJ and PA at this time.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Friday, October 19, 2012

Friday was still mostly cloudy and mild most of the day, with overnight showers that fell mostly from midnight till about 2 AM, then a bit around 7:30 AM-8 AM. Foggy and cloudy at times this morning - lots of moisture around. Showers and storms were still around the area in the late afternoon/early evening but were to my SE here in Gaithersburg, as I had a shower in Silver Spring when I was leaving my office around 1830 EDT. A tornado was reported on the ground early Friday evening in Jarrettsville MD, which is about 30 miles or so NE of Baltimore, prompting warnings for Harford County, but not my immediate area. All this exciting weather will be moving off the coast and into coastal New England overnight, and leave us with a sunny and cooler weekend. Temps should be in the mid 60s on Saturday and Sunday, with lows in the low-mid 40s. Great weekend for leaf-peeping. Next week should be warmer, with high temps mostly in the 70-75 range, with lows in the upper 40s to around 50. No real chances for rain next week that I can see right now. That certainly could change. Fall color continues to increase in coverage and brilliance as noted on this morning's foggy, cloudy, accident-marred ride in to the office (not me fortunately, others that messed up traffic a bit). Still the fall colors are not at peak yet, but should be within the week. This weekend may very well be the peak color weekend of the season in my immediate area. Time to break out the camera and find some great color shots!

Friday's precipitation: 0.34" (LR) 0.28" (VP2) 1.18"/hr max rain rate (MRR) @0035

October total precipitation 5.11"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 33.37"

High temp 69.3° (1707) (71.2° RS)

Low temp 53.5° (2357) (54.5° RS)

Obs temp tonight 53.5° (VP2) 54.5° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 7 MPH from the SW (1448)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 99% (1229) to a low of 82% (1742)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 65° to 51°.

Pressures ranged from 29.84"(0004) to 29.62"(1727)

At midnight obs, temp was 53.5°(VP2)/54.5°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm. Pressure at 29.69" and rising, humidity 90% with the dew point at 51°.

Currently at 0413 EDT, the temp is 51.2°(VP2)/52.9°(RS), Clear, Winds 2 MPH from the SW. Pressure at 29.72" and rising, humidity 84% with the dew point at 47°.

Currently the radar screen is showing showers offshore from the NJ/NY coast and into New England, moving E and N. Isolated other light shower areas can be found over parts of NY state and the midwest at this time.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Saturday, October 20, 2012

Saturday was sunny and seasonably cool - a beautiful fall day with scattered clouds at times, and a bit of a breeze at times. Clear skies overnight with temps heading down through the 40s. Sunny with similar conditions on Sunday, highs in the mid 60s and lows in the low 40s Sunday night. Warmup on Monday, still sunny skies, highs reaching up into the low 70s. Lows Monday night in the upper 40s. Thereafter the rest of the week through Friday should see sunny, mild weather with highs in the low-mid 70s and lows in the upper 40s to low 50s. No real rain in sight, a cooldown looks to be next for our area next weekend but nothing really major looking currently. Fall color continues to increase in coverage and brilliance. I didn't get out on Saturday to take any pics of the foliage unfortunately but will try again on Sunday.

High temp 63.7° (1519) (65.5° RS)

Low temp 47.8° (0739) (48.7° RS)

Obs temp tonight 48.8° (VP2) 49.8° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 12 MPH from the WSW (1300)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 94% (0204) to a low of 45% (1648)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 51° to 41°.

Pressures ranged from 29.95"(2356) to 29.69"(0039)

At midnight obs, temp was 48.8°(VP2)/49.8°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm. Pressure at 29.95" and rising, humidity 78% with the dew point at 42°.

Currently at 0457 EDT, the temp is 45.3°(VP2)/46.2°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm. Pressure at 30.00" and rising, humidity 86% with the dew point at 41°.

Currently the Eastern US radar screen (north of Florida) is showing a pretty clear screen, except for some very light, scattered showers in upstate New York on the lee side of Lake Ontario in the Watertown area, moving slowly east.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Sunday, October 21, 2012

Sunday was sunny and seasonably cool once again, very similar afternoon max temps to yesterday but a bit cooler in the early morning hours - A few breezes and a few clouds at times, but not many. Clear and cool once again overnight tonight, with lows in the low 40s. Monday should be sunny and a bit milder, with a high around 70. Upper 40s for lows Monday night under clear skies. Tuesday warming up a bit more, well into the 70s with lows in the upper 40s to lower 50s. Wednesday should be our warmest day of the week, with highs around 80 and lows in the 50s. Not quite as warm the rest of the week, but still with highs in the 70s and lows in the 50s. The weekend looks a bit uncertain right now, cooling off with a possible strong storm developing and moving up the coast - still too early to tell exactly what is going to happen right now- just stay tuned this week to the weather radio and other sources to see what will be happening. Fall color continues to increase in coverage and brilliance. I got out on Sunday afternoon and took some pictures, I have them posted on FACEBOOK and elsewhere - more details tomorrow. In the meantime, I have one picture I took that hopefully will show just below this paragraph or somewhere within this post. It was taken in Black Hills Regional Park, Boyds MD on the late afternoon of October 21, 2012.

Sunday's precipitation: 0

High temp 62.6° (1621) (64.0° RS)

Low temp 42.9° (0752) (43.7° RS)

Obs temp tonight 45.4° (VP2) 46.0° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 14 MPH from the SW (1510)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 93% (0824) to a low of 45% (1511)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 46° to 40°.

Pressures ranged from 30.16"(2355) to 29.95"(0001)

At midnight obs, temp was 45.4°(VP2)/46.0°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm. Pressure at 30.16" and rising, humidity 85% with the dew point at 41°.

Currently at 0149 EDT, the temp is 43.0°(VP2)/43.5°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm. Pressure at 30.16" and steady, humidity 89% with the dew point at 40°.

Currently the Eastern US radar screen (north of Florida) is clear, void of any precipitation echoes.

post-1259-0-73703800-1350884794_thumb.jp

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Monday, October 22, 2012

Monday was sunny and a bit milder, with highs up in the upper 60s today after a chilly low in the upper 30s just after sunrise on Monday morning. Overnight we will be partly cloudy and not quite as chilly,with lows in the mid 40s. Tuesday may very well be the warmest day of the week, with highs in the upper 70s and lows in the mid 50s under partly cloudy skies. The rest of the week looks partly to mostly sunny with highs slowly decreasing through the 70s and lows mostly in the 50s. Over the weekend a bit more clouds with a 30-40 POP for showers and cooler, highs around 70 on Saturday and in the low 60s on Sunday, with lows dropping back into the 40s by Sunday. It looks like highs on Monday may only be in the low 50s with continued chances of showers (40 POP). A definite cool down should continue well into next week. Fall color continues to increase in coverage and brilliance. I got out on Sunday afternoon and took some pictures, I have them posted on FACEBOOK and on the Backyard Weatherbug Community. I hope you caught the picture I posted here yesterday; I will try to post some more this week but I don't have another different picture ready to post here right now.

Monday's precipitation: 0

High temp 68.2° (1625) (69.4° RS)

Low temp 39.1° (0743) (39.4° RS)

Obs temp tonight 50.3° (VP2) 50.7° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 9 MPH from the N (1240)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0939) to a low of 44% (1415)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 51° to 37°.

Pressures ranged from 30.24"(0953) to 30.13"(0520)

At midnight obs, temp was 50.3°(VP2)/50.7°(RS), Clear, Winds Calm. Pressure at 30.14" and steady, humidity 90% with the dew point at 47°.

Currently at 0219 EDT, the temp is 48.6°(VP2)/49.1°(RS), Partly Cloudy, Winds Calm. Pressure at 30.12" and falling, humidity 93% with the dew point at 47°.

Currently the Eastern US radar screen (north of Florida) is clear except for an area of showers over eastern lower Michigan, parts of northern OH and southern Ontario at this time.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Tuesday was partly sunny and warmer, with high temps reaching into the mid 70s. Sprinkles/light showers have been getting closer to our area, currently scattered in parts of PA and OH mostly, also into parts of western MD. Overnight temps will be in the 50s and cloudy to partly cloudy but with the possibiility of these sprinkles overnight and into part of Wednesday. Partly cloudy and warm on Wednesday, with highs around 80. Temps in the 50s Wednesday night under partly to mostly cloudy skies,then sunny and a bit cooler on Thursday with highs in the low 70s and lows in the 50s. Friday should be partly cloudy with highs in the 70s, lows in the 50s. Over the weekend clouds should be mostly the rule, cooling off to the 60s on Saturday and around 60 on Sunday with 40-50 POP for rain showers developing. Sunday night should find a continued chance of showers (50 POP) with lows around 40. Cooler still on Monday and Tuesday, a 50 POP for rain on Monday with highs both days in the upper 40s under cloudy skies, lows around 40. This definite cool down will continue further on in the week. Fall color continues to increase in coverage and brilliance.

Tuesday's precipitation: 0

High temp 76.2° (1617) (76.8° RS)

Low temp 46.8° (0723) (47.5° RS)

Obs temp tonight 58.4° (VP2) 58.8° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 7 MPH from the E (1458)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (0837) to a low of 52% (1445)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 60° to 45°.

Pressures ranged from 30.16"(0959) to 30.05"(1629)

At midnight obs, temp was 58.4°(VP2)/58.8°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm. Pressure at 30.08" and steady, humidity 89% with the dew point at 55°.

Currently at 0212 EDT, the temp is 56.4°(VP2)/57.0°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm. Pressure at 30.09" and steady, humidity 92% with the dew point at 54°.

Currently on radar widely scattered light showers can be found in parts of OH, PA, KY and western MD at this time. Also some showers through NJ that have moved offshore in the Atlantic Ocean over the past several hours.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Wednesday was partly sunny and still warmer, with high temps reaching into the upper 70s at my station and into the low 80s at many others in the Washington DC area, tying the daily record at Washington National Airport at 84. It was actually quite cloudy in the AM, with sprinkles around while on my way into work. More sun in the afternoon drove the temp up eventually. Tonight it is quite mild, with temps still in the 60s in the early morning hours of Thursday but should slide on down into the mid 50s by sunrise or shortly thereafter. Tomorrow through Saturday should see partly cloudy skies with highs in the low-mid 70s and lows mostly in the 50s. Clouds and a 40-50 POP for showers starting on Sunday and carrying well into the new week, with highs on Sunday in the low 60s, lows in the low 50s Sunday. On Monday through Wednesday a continued 40-50 POP for rain and colder, with high temps in the mid-upper 40s and lows in the low 40s. All bets are off for next week if Hurricane Sandy does something different, stay tuned! Forecast models coming together more and more for paying us a close visit, perhaps coming ashore just to our north along the DE or NJ beaches.. Still some time to finalize what is going to happen - it should be quite interesting! Fall color continues to increase in coverage and brilliance but we should be getting some significant wind with the frontal passage this weekend and the possible close brush by from Sandy early next week and that could really bring the leaves down a bit prematurely quite possibly.

Wednesday's precipitation: T

High temp 78.3° (1521) (79.0° RS)

Low temp 55.0° (0408) (55.8° RS)

Obs temp tonight 64.0° (VP2) 64.8° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 11 MPH from the NE (1318)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 96% (0844) to a low of 42% (1522)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 61° to 53°.

Pressures ranged from 30.14"(0857) to 30.07"(1531)

At midnight obs, temp was 64.0°(VP2)/64.8°(RS), PCloudy, Winds Calm. Pressure at 30.13" and steady, humidity 82% with the dew point at 58°.

Currently at 0242 EDT, the temp is 60.9°(VP2)/61.3°(RS), PCloudy, Winds 1 MPH from the ESE. Pressure at 30.16" and rising, humidity 88% with the dew point at 57°.

Currently on radar showers angled NE/SW through parts of WI and upper peninsula of MI at this time, appear to be moving NE.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Thursday, October 25, 2012

Thursday was mostly cloudy and damp, kinda muggy actually, with some fog and drizzle scattered about but none observed today at my location. Tonight through Saturday should be mostly to partly cloudy, with occasional fog and drizzle, highs in the mid-upper 60s and lows in the mid-upper 50s. Starting to get colder on Sunday, with highs in the 50s and lows in the 40s, with a 50 POP for showers on Saturday overnight and a 60 POP for showers from Sunday through Monday night, then a 40 POP on Tuesday. Continued cooling off on Sunday night with lows in the low 40s and highs on Monday and Tuesday only in the 40s, with lows in the upper 30s. Becoming breezy as the remnants of Sandy approach, exact track right now is still undetermined. We should start to clear out on Wednesday with little to no chances for any more rain, but still remaining chilly with highs still in the 40s and lows in the upper 30s under partly sunny skies as we finish out October wet and chilly. Fall color continues to increase in coverage and brilliance but we should be getting some significant wind with the strong cold front from the west and the remnants of Sandy passing close to our area early next week. That could possibly bring the leaves down a bit prematurely.

Thursday's precipitation: 0

High temp 68.0° (1624) (68.9° RS)

Low temp 60.2° (0551) (61.0° RS)

Obs temp tonight 61.3° (VP2) 62.4° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 8 MPH from the NE (0658)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 93% (0501) to a low of 76% (1617)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 61° to 57°.

Pressures ranged from 30.23"(1011) to 30.13"(0000)

At midnight obs, temp was 61.3°(VP2)/62.4°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 1 MPH from the E. Pressure at 30.19" and steady, humidity 91% with the dew point at 59°.

Currently at 0221 EDT, the temp is 61.1°(VP2)/62.2°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 1 MPH from the E. Pressure at 30.19" and steady, humidity 91% with the dew point at 59°.

Currently on radar there is a line of showers in parts of the Midwest, running NNE/SSW through most of western lower MI, NW Indiana, SE IL, and SE MO at this time, heading slowly eastward.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Friday, October 26, 2012

Friday was another mostly cloudy,damp/muggy day with temps once again holding in the 60s and dew pts generally around 60 all day. Clouds will be around for the next several days, with temps falling over the weekend and into next week from the strong cold front. Highs in the upper 60s on Saturday will drop into the 50s on Sunday then mid-upper 40s on Monday through Wednesday. Lows on Saturday in the 50s, 40s on Sunday, then upper 30s Monday through Wednesday. Showers should start developing late Saturday evening, probably after midnight, first associated with the cold front then the rains from Sandy/Frankenstorm take over later on Sunday. Rain and wind, heavy/strong at times forecasted now for Monday and Tuesday, with a 90 POP on Monday and a 70 POP on Tuesday. Wednesday the POP goes down to 40 for continued chances for showers, and still breezy. So we should have a cold, wet finish to the month of October. Trick or Treat weather on Wednesday night should be improving, but if power outages are widespread as they are saying are very possible, delays in traditional Halloween activities may very well happen, despite slowly improving conditions. Peak fall color in this area this weekend, and with the winds of next week, the leaves will be coming down fast and furious at times.

High temp 67.5° (1608) (68.7° RS)

Low temp 60.7° (0759) (61.9° RS)

Obs temp tonight 61.2° (VP2) 62.4° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 6 MPH from the E (0018)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 94% (0808) to a low of 76% (1614)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 61° to 58°.

Pressures ranged from 30.21"(1025) to 30.06"(2356)

At midnight obs, temp was 61.2°(VP2)/62.4°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm. Pressure at 30.06" and falling, humidity 89% with the dew point at 58°.

Currently at 0339 EDT, the temp is 57.7°(VP2)/59.0°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 1 MPH from the NE. Pressure at 30.00" and falling, humidity 94% with the dew point at 56°.

Currently on radar there is a line of showers in parts of the Midwest, running NNE/SSW through parts of southern Ontario, Eastern OH, and parts of KY at this time. Also the northernmost rain bands from Sandy are approaching the North Carolina coast. Heading south along the coast of SC, GA and northern FL the rain bands appear to be mostly offshore but expanding to right along the coast.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Saturday, October 27, 2012

Saturday was a partly cloudy, mild day with some sun - we had a bit of a dry slot which oftentimes happens ahead of a tropical system. Temperatures once again held in the 60s for highs, with the lows dropping into the mid 50s. Tonight they are once again in the mid 50s under cloudy skies. We should see cloudy skies from now on through the end of the month into the first few days of November as the very expansive circulation of Sandy starts to take over in our area. We are currently under a Flood watch and a High Wind watch from late tonight (now) through Tuesday evening. There is a 30 POP for scattered showers overnight. Sunday should see a 70 POP for rain showers and rain, especially late in the day, with highs in the mid-upper 50s. Sunday night a 90 POP for rain and increasing wind, lows in the 40s. Monday and Tuesday should see rain, heavy at times, and very windy, with winds of 30-40 MPH with gusts to 60 MPH at times. High temps in the mid-upper 40s, lows in the upper 30s. Wednesday should have a 40 POP for rain showers with winds slowly decreasing. Stay tuned to the latest updates from NWS/NHC on this storm. I saw the last of the peak fall color in this area on Saturday. The leaves should be coming down en masse from the high winds and pounding rain the next few days.

High temp 68.1° (1536) (69.4° RS)

Low temp 56.3° (0509) (57.7° RS)

Obs temp tonight 58.9° (VP2) 60.3° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 16 MPH from the NE (1255)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 95% (0506) to a low of 57% (1215)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 58° to 50°.

Pressures ranged from 30.07"(0005) to 29.88"(2344)

At midnight obs, temp was 58.9°(VP2)/60.3°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 1 MPH from the NNE. Pressure at 29.88" and falling, humidity 82% with the dew point at 53°.

Currently at 0450 EDT, the temp is 57.3°(VP2)/58.8°(RS), Cloudy, Winds 2 MPH from the NE. Pressure at 29.83" and falling, humidity 75% with the dew point at 50°.

Currently on radar there is the northern extent of the rainbands from Sandy moving north towards our coastline from coastal North Carolina and SE VA. Much of the lower MD Eastern Shore shows precipitation returns at this time. All slowly headed this way.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Sunday, October 28, 2012

Sunday was a cloudy, cooler, damp day with a bit of light rain kicking in during the evening hours as we slowly became under the influence of the very beginnings of Hurricane Sandy. Most of the afternoon there was some pretty heavy rain bands over on the MD Eastern Shore, running almost due south/north but remaining basically in place for several hours, not moving over the bay and towards my immediate area. Rain should be slowly developing overnight tonight, along with slowly increasing winds with lows in the upper 40s. We are under a Flood Watch from 0800 today through 2000 on Tuesday, along with a High Wind Warning during that same time frame. Monday should see rain, heavy at times, with very strong winds developing, in the 35-45 MPH range with gusts to 60+ MPH and high temps around 50 (100 POP from Monday through Tuesday evening) . Rain continuing heavy at times along with the high winds continuing on Monday night, with lows in the 40s. Tuesday should see heavy morning rain, very high winds with high temps only in the mid 40s. Tuesday night more showers possible, with lows in the upper 30s. Wednesday a 50 POP for more showers, slowly decreasing winds and high temps around 50. Cloudy on Thursday with highs in the 50s, lows in the low 40s. Friday we might see some sun under partly cloudy skies and high temps in the upper 50s. We should have a sunny weekend, with high temps in the 50s and lows in the 40s. Quite an end to the month of October and quite a start to the month of November! . Stay tuned to the latest updates from NWS/NHC on this storm. The fall leaves should be coming down en masse from the high winds and pounding rain the next few days.

Sunday's precipitation: 0.14" (LR and VP2) 0.05 Max Rain Rate (MRR) @ 1902

October total precipitation 5.25"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 33.51"

High temp 58.9° (0000) (60.3° RS)

Low temp 51.5° (2311) (52.7° RS)

Obs temp tonight 51.7° (VP2) 52.9° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 20 MPH from the N (1018)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 95% (2131) to a low of 63% (1156)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 54° to 44°.

Pressures ranged from 29.88"(0000) to 29.62"(2358)

At midnight obs, temp was 51.7°(VP2)/52.9°(RS), Cloudy with light rain, Winds 5 MPH from the NNE. Pressure at 29.62" and falling, humidity 95% with the dew point at 50°.

Currently at 0338 EDT, the temp is 50.8°(VP2)/52.2°(RS), Cloudy with light rain, Winds 2 MPH from the E (Quite variable in speed, and somewhat in direction also). Pressure at 29.55" and falling, humidity 95% with the dew point at 50°. 0.12" of rain has fallen since midnight (VP2).

Currently on radar there is light rain over north central Maryland, with heavier rain over most of the Delmarva peninsula, moving west from the ocean towards (slowly) my area.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report on Hurricane Sandy on Monday, October 29, 2012

Monday was the big day for a visit from Hurricane Sandy as it comes ashore just south of Atlantic City NJ, and morphs into an extra-tropical system more like a nor'easter, but moving in a very uncharacteristic WNW direction. Cloudy, quite cool, steady rain and increasing winds were the main features of the day. I had off from work, and will be off on Tuesday as well. We have plenty of people out of power, lots of trees and wires down, lots of flooding though not in my immediate home area. I recorded my lowest barometric pressure ever at 28.63" (records going back to December 2009), surpassing Hurricane Irene's lowest pressure reading of 29.17" on August 28, 2011. My precipitation total of 4.76" was easily a record for the date and also a record for any day in October (Old record 3.50" on 10/23/90). The monthly total I now have of 10.01" smashes the previous record of 7.91" set back in October 1979 (and still counting). Quite an historic, eventful day. Slow improvement in our weather the rest of the week should take place. A high wind warning is still in effect and a flood warning also, but should expire on Tuesday at 8 PM. Overnight lighter rain with temps in the low 40s on Monday night, then more rain on Tuesday with highs in the mid 40s (100 POP) along with very breezy conditions continuing (up to 55 MPH wind gusts possible). Tuesday night should see clouds and a 60 POP for more rain, then Wednesday down to a 30 POP for showers with highs in the low 50s. Thursday and Friday should see partly cloudy skies with highs in the 50s, lows in the upper 30s as we head into the month of November. A sunny weekend with highs in the mid 50s and lows in the mid-upper 30s will help us dry out.

Monday's precipitation: 4.76" (LR) 5.20"(VP2) 0.90 Max Rain Rate (MRR) @ 2116

October total precipitation 10.10"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 38.27"

High temp 51.8° (0050) (53.1° RS)

Low temp 43.7° (2232) (45.0° RS)

Obs temp tonight 44.6° (VP2) 45.9° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 31 MPH from the NE (1738)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (1047) to a low of 95% (0000)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 51° to 43°.

Pressures ranged from 29.62"(0000) to 28.63"(2333)

At midnight obs, temp was 44.6°(VP2)/45.9°(RS), Cloudy with light rain, Winds 9 MPH from the WNW. Pressure at 28.66" and falling, humidity 96% with the dew point at 44°.

Currently at 0412 EDT, the temp is 41.3°(VP2)/42.3°(RS), Cloudy with light rain, Winds 2 MPH from the WSW. Pressure at 28.84" and rising, humidity 96% with the dew point at 40°. 0.38" of rain has fallen since midnight (VP2).

Currently on radar there is still mostly light to moderate rain over most of the region, slowly lifting west and north.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Tuesday was a closing day, a transition day as Sandy very slowly moved away. We stayed on the colder westerly flow from the storm , and as such the temps did not vary much all day, from 40-45 with some snowflakes observed by some in my home Montgomery County during the day. Clouds and light rain and diminishing winds were the rule all day with the rainfall heaviest right after midnight and ever so slowly tapering off to nothing by late this evening. Overnight tonight the temps will drop into the upper 30s with a 40 POP for showers. Wednesday we should just be cloudy with highs in the low 50s. Partly cloudy on Thursday then sunny on Friday and over the weekend. Temps should max out each day in the low-mid 50s as our cold upper level trough keeps us chilly as we transition into November. Lows should be in the upper 30s to low 40s, with no freezes in the foreseeable future, though close to the 32 mark at times. Post-publication of my rainfall total yesterday resulted in some rethinking and reconsideration, especially after talking with my fellow closeby observer friend Rick H, who was noticing the same pattern with his rain gauges, that with the windy NW flow on Monday that his one gauge (as mine is) is closer to his house and is blocked from some rainfall falling into the cylinder from the windy circulations closer to the house. Our other gauges further out in our property recorded larger amounts, by roughly the same amount. On Tuesday, the rainfall was lighter, the winds were lighter and were from a different direction, and this resulted in a reversal of the trends from Monday. So in a pretty unprecedented, very rare move, I am going to endorse my VP2 rain gauge total for my Monday total, but use the Lake region gauge total for my Tuesday total. I have adjusted my data to what is shown below. Any thoughts, questions on these ideas most welcome and encouraged.

Monday's precipitation: 4.76" (LR) 5.20"(VP2) 0.90 Max Rain Rate (MRR) @ 2116

October total precipitation 10.54"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 38.71"

Tuesday's precipitation: 1.05" (LR) 0.83"(VP2) 0.22 Max Rain Rate (MRR) @ 0005

October total precipitation 11.59"

Annual YTD precipitation total: 39.76"

High temp 44.7° (0003) (45.9° RS)

Low temp 40.0° (0930) (41.2° RS)

Obs temp tonight 40.9° (VP2) 42.3° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 19 MPH from the SW (0028)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 100% (0841) to a low of 94% (1534)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 44° to 39°.

Pressures ranged from 29.49"(2231) to 28.65"(0001)

At midnight obs, temp was 40.9°(VP2)/42.3°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm. Pressure at 29.49" and steady, humidity 96% with the dew point at 40°.

Currently at 0231 EDT, the temp is 39.9°(VP2)/41.2°(RS), Cloudy, Winds Calm, Pressure at 29.50" and steady, humidity 97% with the dew point at 39°.

Currently only very light precip in widely scattered shower in the area on radar and it appears to be all aloft in my immediate area. Snow in SW PA, western MD and sections of WV at this time.

Gaithersburg Maryland VP2 backyard report for Halloween Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Halloween Wednesday was the starting day for the cleanup activity from Hurricane Sandy, and, as such, was a peaceful day with slowly decreasing clouds, little to no wind, no rain, and milder temperatures, into the low 50s. Tonight is mostly cloudy with temps now down into the low 40s. We should make the upper 30s by sunrise, particularly if we get some clearing. But clouds are expected to persist on Thursday as we head into the new month of November. Temps over the next several days should not vary much, ranging between 50 and 55 or thereabouts, with lows in the upper 30s to low 40s. Partly to mostly cloudy skies should be the rule through the period, though our weather party day on Saturday looks to be mostly sunny, the only day through next Wednesday to be that way, with a high temp of about 50. Despite the clouds, rain chances appear to be nil to minimal under the persistent NW flow. Sandy is spinning itself out over NW PA and western NY state at this time, a weak circulation now with little wind and only spotty showers scattered about. It was a real storm for the ages, and helped me break several daily and monthly records. Back to the office today, traffic not too bad this morning, lots of wet leaves around, still blowing around. Flooding the big concern in the area now, with several significant rivers like the Potomac and Shenandoah going over flood crest, along with smaller creeks and streams. Peak flood stage for most of these waterways should be reached either tomorrow or Friday.

Sandy storm rainfall total: 6.39"

October total precipitation 11.59" (new monthly record)

Annual YTD precipitation total: 39.76"

High temp 52.5° (1549) (54.5° RS)

Low temp 39.8° (0243) (41.2° RS)

Obs temp tonight 44.7° (VP2) 46.2° (RS)

Peak Wind Gust 9 MPH from the W (1557)

Relative Humidity ranged from a max of 97% (0010) to a low of 60% (1557)

Dew point temperatures ranged from 44° to 37°.

Pressures ranged from 29.68"(2215) to 29.49"(0000)

At midnight obs, temp was 44.7°(VP2)/46.2°(RS), PCloudy, Winds Calm. Pressure at 29.67" and steady, humidity 76% with the dew point at 37°.

Currently at 0230 EDT, the temp is 42.8°(VP2)/44.4°(RS), PCloudy, Winds 1 MPH from the SW, Pressure at 29.67" and steady, humidity 78% with the dew point at 36°.

Currently only scattered, very light precip spinning around the very weak, dying circulation of what was once Hurricane Sandy, centered over NW PA and western NY into parts of southern Ontario at this time.

Archived