• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 7-8 2008 Blizzard

snowlover2

One of the best winter storms of my lifetime, easily. A great way to end what would be one of our snowiest winters ever. This storm, along with several others, helped make March 2008 our snowiest march ever with nearly 30" of snow. In one week from March 2 - 9, we were dumped on with 22".

I don't have the exact snowfall from this storm alone but my best estimate would be about 15" fell here. What was really surprising was how quickly snowfall totals dropped off as you went west. I drove from my house to Michigan two days after this storm, and while we had nearly 18" on the ground imby that number dropped off to barely half of that out near Windsor and Detroit.

Also noticeable as the last time southern ON had a powerful winter storm from Windsor to Ottawa (unless you're counting December 2008 and/or GHD)

One of the best winter storms of my lifetime, easily. A great way to end what would be one of our snowiest winters ever. This storm, along with several others, helped make March 2008 our snowiest march ever with nearly 30" of snow. In one week from March 2 - 9, we were dumped on with 22".

I don't have the exact snowfall from this storm alone but my best estimate would be about 15" fell here. What was really surprising was how quickly snowfall totals dropped off as you went west. I drove from my house to Michigan two days after this storm, and while we had nearly 18" on the ground imby that number dropped off to barely half of that out near Windsor and Detroit.

Also noticeable as the last time southern ON had a powerful winter storm from Windsor to Ottawa (unless you're counting December 2008 and/or GHD)

December 19, 2008 was a decent storm, but March 7-8, 2008 was the last "big" one. As I'm a dryslot magnet, one shouldn't be surprised that my snow cut off for 2-3 hours late on the morning of the 8th, but still ended up with 11.2". There was a swath just to my west that wasn't slotted that recorded 14-18". Sigh...what could have been. Still a great storm though. Wind and cold temps made for true blizzard conditions in the defo band.

December 19, 2008 was a decent storm, but March 7-8, 2008 was the last "big" one. As I'm a dryslot magnet, one shouldn't be surprised that my snow cut off for 2-3 hours late on the morning of the 8th, but still ended up with 11.2". There was a swath just to my west that wasn't slotted that recorded 14-18". Sigh...what could have been. Still a great storm though. Wind and cold temps made for true blizzard conditions in the defo band.

Dec 19, 08 was a fairly decent and epic storm and plus it was bitterly cold that day, awesome storm.

The March blizzard was just epic. It was clearly the biggest storm of that Winter for me and a storm like that isnt really common esp in March. The storm just before it wasnt bad either, I got 5-8" off the initial wave.

Would be great if we saw a couple of those next Winter to get rid of this snow depression that has developed since 09-10 lol.

Dec 19, 08 was a fairly decent and epic storm and plus it was bitterly cold that day, awesome storm.

The March blizzard was just epic. It was clearly the biggest storm of that Winter for me and a storm like that isnt really common esp in March. The storm just before it wasnt bad either, I got 5-8" off the initial wave.

Would be great if we saw a couple of those next Winter to get rid of this snow depression that has developed since 09-10 lol.

How can December 19, 08 be both "fairly decent" and "epic"? That first sentence of yours is a non-sequitur.

I'd agree with you with your former description. It was fairly decent. Epic is way too strong a word to describe what is in my estimation a fairly pedestrian storm. ~6-8"

How can December 19, 08 be both "fairly decent" and "epic"? That first sentence of yours is a non-sequitur.

I'd agree with you with your former description. It was fairly decent. Epic is way too strong a word to describe what is in my estimation a fairly pedestrian storm. ~6-8"

It was decent for its snowfall totals (8") but it was epic given the number of factors that were in play that day including bitterly cold temps, blowing snow and incredible snow rates in a short period of time (<12 hours).

This combined with the storms prior and after this. Dec 08 was an amazing month and Jan 09 was sick too since it was very cold and snowy.

But this storm is above all, since the Dec 2000 storm.

There was only a brief part of the storm where the winds approached blizzard strength at my place just west of Columbus. If I recall ILN issued the blizzard because there was a lot of snow and the public perception/impact was high so they gave the warning instead of just a heavy snow/winter storm warning.

The blizzard part didn't amount to much, but it was an awesome snowstorm. Started at about 9am on the 7th and didn't end until about 5pm on the 8th.

yup it was a two-parter, much like PDII. If I recall correctly there was a pretty solid 6-8 hr lull that friday night until it started back up well after midnight/pre dawn Saturday. The craziest snow/wind occurred late morning Saturday. I was out shoveling and for about 15mins it became incredibly windy and vis was near zero. It was pretty much the last hoorah as the front came thru and it ended.

I wish we could have gotten that bad boy in late December or in January. Still, it was amazing how long the snow stuck around....week and a half or more if I recall.

EDIT to add: You and I were pretty much ground zero for the sweet spot of that storm for the conus. I think we're still paying the price for that one.

Archived