• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Upstate New York/Pennsylvania Garden/Lawn Thread

JamieOber

Thought I would start a thread as we are nearing the time for gardening.

Myself, I am an avid gardener...in my backyard I have:

- an 18x101' main garden, with 15' of that dedicated to various herbs. The rest is veggies/fruits.

- a 72' "fence garden" that runs parallel to my neighbor's yard (my neighbor is sort of my gardening guru). Half of this is a cottage flower garden, the other half veggies/herbs.

- A strawberry bed

- various scattered mainly flower gardens.

Almost everything I grow is heirloom. I just like the varieties and the taste better.

Good garden blog that I read: http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/living/doug-oster-gardening/33208-mild-winter-coaxes-early-bloomers

That particular article has some sage advice - don't let the mild winter seduce you into ignoring last frost dates. Many a gardener has lost plants do to this.

We've got a small one that I'd like to enlarge. Nothing beats stuff out of your own garden.

I'd have to fence it in due to deer and my own dogs.

I am in the same predicament as you contemplating expansion. I'm going to need a load of soil too, I've have a bit of erosion in places on the lawn.

There's definitely a large intersection of gardening and weather. Locals say June 1st here to be safe. I do push the date a little but it's probably not a good idea. May 28th to September 21st about does it: http://www.erh.noaa....coop/DELN6.html

I put in a fenced area (wouldn't stop deer but having a dog helps) with 12 4x4' raised beds. I should have given myself a bit more room for access, particularly since it is on a slope. Good sun with a southwest orientation.

I have been expanding haphazardly but should add another dedicated area. I do have room for the future. And I have spot with lamps to get things started.

It's a relaxing hobby and we do get things to eat, especially zucchini and green beans.

It was two years ago that so many tomatoes plants came out of the south with that blight. Mine were a mess also. Now I'm buying my plants off local farmers instead of the big box stores.

BTW I was just visiting my aunt in Ocala, FL and funny to see Lowes there in total Springtime mode. All the tomatoes, peppers, etc. out.. I planted a bed of buttercup squash for her.....for the fun of it - seeds harvested from mine. I bought several bags of topsoil to mix with the sand and we'll see how they fare.

As to soil....mine is garbage clay. It seems to grow good corn, but that's a bout it. Everyone else here brings in manure, etc. to build up a good base for a garden over the years. Fortunately my sister has four horses who Sh*t a lot. LOL

WOW those sound pretty large. You have tomatoes too? Had trouble with blight the last few years.

We've got a small one that I'd like to enlarge. Nothing beats stuff out of your own garden.

It was two years ago that so many tomatoes plants came out of the south with that blight. Mine were a mess also. Now I'm buying my plants off local farmers instead of the big box stores.

BTW I was just visiting my aunt in Ocala, FL and funny to see Lowes there in total Springtime mode. All the tomatoes, peppers, etc. out.. I planted a bed of buttercup squash for her.....for the fun of it - seeds harvested from mine. I bought several bags of topsoil to mix with the sand and we'll see how they fare.

As to soil....mine is garbage clay. It seems to grow good corn, but that's a bout it. Everyone else here brings in manure, etc. to build up a good base for a garden over the years. Fortunately my sister has four horses who Sh*t a lot. LOL

I grow all mine from seed (better selection) and I got the blight too.

That's awesome on the horses - I have a few manure sources....good to have.

There's definitely a large intersection of gardening and weather. Locals say June 1st here to be safe. I do push the date a little but it's probably not a good idea. May 28th to September 21st about does it: http://www.erh.noaa....coop/DELN6.html

I put in a fenced area (wouldn't stop deer but having a dog helps) with 12 4x4' raised beds. I should have given myself a bit more room for access, particularly since it is on a slope. Good sun with a southwest orientation.

I have been expanding haphazardly but should add another dedicated area. I do have room for the future. And I have spot with lamps to get things started.

It's a relaxing hobby and we do get things to eat, especially zucchini and green beans.

Yeah, I push it if the weather looks good. For some of the stuff, soil temps are as important as frost risk. Some things will just sit there if the soil's still too cold.

WOW those sound pretty large. You have tomatoes too? Had trouble with blight the last few years.

That freaking blight made me totally get why the Irish thought God was mad at them back during the potato famine. Never seen anything like it. Came back from a weekend trip, all my tomatoes were withered. Here's hoping for some hot weather and dry periods so we can avoid it.

Speaking of seeds, I started leeks, onions, pansies, parsley inside, and got my first sprouts this am. Cool feeling!

this extreme warmth that's coming could be very bad news for fruit growers if we get a cold snap later this month or early April. if you enjoy fresh local fruit (cherries, peaches, plums, etc) be prepared to pay more if the blossoms freeze.

Yep. Was at one orchard's store here on Monday and I talked to the orchard owner about this. They are quite concerned.

My lawn is greening up, I have buds on the lilac bushes and dogwood trees and the day lilies are coming up. All before the bulbs usually start to come up now. Crazy season.

I know! Insane.

I am going to plant my cold hardy stuff this weekend. I bought floating row covers because I know we haven't had our last 20s as yet.

I know! Insane.

I am going to plant my cold hardy stuff this weekend. I bought floating row covers because I know we haven't had our last 20s as yet.

My yard is raked, flower gardens mulched, all set to go. I'm not sure when I'll fertilize the lawn though, any ideas from the others who fertilize?

I was grilling on Tuesday evening in shorts and barefoot, unreal. I fully intend to start off my St. Patricks Party outside in the yard on Saturday.

IMO, it’s too early to use organic ferts, the soil isn't warm enough to support the process. If you’re going to put down lawn fert now I'd use it at half the recommended rate so you don't promote top growth.

No, I'm not planning on putting any down now, just wondering when everyone else typically does. I usually wait until April.

• 2 weeks later...

Got 4 dogs. Never fertilized the lawn myself. They take care of it lol

Living out in the country, there's so much country grass and weeds floating around

I've never done any of that with the lawn.

Ha, same here except got one greyhound. I also buy into the lawn reform movement, but I'm to each their own about their lawn.

One thing that has gone ape**** in our yard, especially around the edges down at the back of our property, is bittercress. Never seen so much. Others have commented about it also.

I gotta get serious about my gardening now. I try to grow the usual garden stuff (spent about $100 at Gurney's this year) and have started growing some fruit. Last year I planted 10 blueberry plants and ~50 strawberry. This year I am adding raspberries and some blackberries.

*lust*

That's sweet.

I dig my small garden plot by hand. I figure if I go to Home Depot and rent a tiller there goes most of my savings in growing my meager crops. LOL A little exercise never hurts.

This winter was such a joke that weeds that had grown amidst my vined plants never really died and their healthy roots sent fast growth up last week with the heat. So I went out there and pulled lots of that crap out. Now with this upcoming wx pattern, we can put the garden back to bed for several weeks and might need the plows on. ;)

This:

I dig my small garden plot by hand. I figure if I go to Home Depot and rent a tiller there goes most of my savings in growing my meager crops. LOL A little exercise never hurts.

This winter was such a joke that weeds that had grown amidst my vined plants never really died and their healthy roots sent fast growth up last week with the heat. So I went out there and pulled lots of that crap out. Now with this upcoming wx pattern, we can put the garden back to bed for several weeks and might need the plows on. ;)

Our last 2 grocery bills were $490 and $285 in the past 3 weeks so that got me to want a real garden even more. Not that I'll even come close to saving what this setup cost, but it helps my mental health to be on my tractor and this will give me more of that.

RE: grocery bills. I have noted lately that the most massive bills seem to be after stocking up at BJ's (those wholesale type places). I'm starting to question if it is really a savings when you have to buy big oversized amounts of all the products. Heck it also probably promotes overeating. LOL

Our last 2 grocery bills were $490 and $285 in the past 3 weeks so that got me to want a real garden even more. Not that I'll even come close to saving what this setup cost, but it helps my mental health to be on my tractor and this will give me more of that.

RE: grocery bills. I have noted lately that the most massive bills seem to be after stocking up at BJ's (those wholesale type places). I'm starting to question if it is really a savings when you have to buy big oversized amounts of all the products. Heck it also probably promotes overeating. LOL

You certainly have to do the math, the wholesale places are not always the best deal. Luckily for me my wife is a manager at a supermarket and is familar with the prices/sales and has the patience to crunch the numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived