• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 23 Ohio Valley Severe Threat

Hoosier

I don't think the eventual squall line was ever really in doubt. It was the initial storms that posed a larger threat. Even so, there will be a strong boundary present, and squall line spins ups will be possible.

There was no doubt in my mind that a squall line was inevitable as the cold front swings around...I just initially hedged that cells might have been able to be discreet further east (I was only going to go as far west as Louisville). Squall line spinups will be almost certain with the shear/helicity, but I don't chase squall line spin ups. I just watch those at home on GrLevel3. :P

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0145

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0221 PM CST THU FEB 23 2012

AREAS AFFECTED...PORTIONS OF THE OH RIVER VALLEY

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH POSSIBLE

VALID 232021Z - 232145Z

CONVECTION IS EXPECTED TO INCREASE ACROSS PORTIONS OF THE OH RIVER

VALLEY OVER THE NEXT 2-4 HOURS. TORNADO WATCH MAY BE REQUIRED TO

ACCOUNT FOR THIS INCREASING THREAT.

SFC WARM FRONT CONTINUES ITS SLOW NWD RETREAT AS IT LIFTS ACROSS SRN

IND/IL...WWD INTO A WELL DEFINED SFC LOW ALONG I-70 OVER CNTRL MO.

OVER THE LAST FEW HOURS A RAPIDLY EXPANDING SHIELD OF LOW-MID CLOUDS

HAS DEVELOPED WITHIN WARM ADVECTION ZONE ACROSS SRN IL/SWRN IND INTO

WRN KY. THIS CERTAINLY REFLECTS THE MOISTENING/ASCENT PROCESS THAT

SHOULD SPREAD NEWD TOWARD THE WARM FRONT ACROSS THE OH VALLEY INTO

THE EVENING HOURS. LATEST OA FIELDS SUGGEST A NARROW AXIS OF

INSTABILITY...MUCAPE ON THE ORDER OF 500-1500 J/KG...HAS OVERSPREAD

WRN KY. IF THIS AIRMASS CAN ADVECT INTO THE WARM FRONTAL ZONE PRIOR

TO CONVECTIVE INITIATION THEN AN ENHANCED RISK OF ROBUST

UPDRAFTS...POSSIBLY SUPERCELLULAR IN NATURE...COULD EVOLVE. LATEST

VIS IMAGERY DOES NOT CURRENTLY SUGGEST INDIVIDUAL UPDRAFTS HAVE

DEEPENED APPRECIABLY BUT CONTINUED LARGE SCALE ASCENT SHOULD

ENCOURAGE STRONGER UPDRAFTS OVER THE NEXT FEW HOURS. WILL CONTINUE

TO MONITOR THIS REGION FOR POSSIBLE TORNADO WATCH.

..DARROW.. 02/23/2012

ATTN...WFO...ILN...LMK...IND...PAH...

There is a discrete storm to the west of Frankfort KY.

It popped up quickly compared to the other storms

to the south of it.

That storm looks like it might still be slightly elevated right now, but it's close. Wouldn't take much to root in the boundary layer.

Still a ways to go before a severe hail threat though (about 7 kft).

Nice updraft just south of KLVX, but it's in a tough position. Partially in the cone of silence, and right on the zero isodop so it's hard to tell rotation. Some suggestion there is a weak meso in there though.

This storm does have an interesting reflectivity signature. I am not too concerned

about a lot of overall severe weather in this region, but more so about a random

storm splitting or merging and turning into a quick tornado like last night in Rome

Georgia.

Interesting that their warning made no mention of winds. I guess their thinking must be that this one is also elevated.

Also interesting is that there was no mention of "radar has indicated some weak rotation"

as an action statement. It seemed to be an important one in case something formed

within a couple of minutes.

Also interesting is that there was no mention of "radar has indicated some weak rotation"

as an action statement. It seemed to be an important one in case something formed

within a couple of minutes.

I think these warned storms are just too far into the cold air. The cells trying to develop around Taylor and Green Counties have a little better shot to have a circulation that affects the surface.

I think these warned storms are just too far into the cold air. The cells trying to develop around Taylor and Green Counties have a little better shot to have a circulation that affects the surface.

Assuming a report of 1-inch hail is not forthcoming, would this have been a case where

having access to a dual-polarization radar could have been able to prevent a false alarm?

I know it is supposed to help distinguish between regular hail and melting hail.

Assuming a report of 1-inch hail is not forthcoming, would this have been a case where

having access to a dual-polarization radar could have been able to prevent a false alarm?

I know it is supposed to help distinguish between regular hail and melting hail.

It's possible. There is still no explicit radar signature to hail size indicator with dual-pol, but it will lead to greater confidence of large hail (> 2"). There were reports of lots of dime size hail, so it is possible this would have looked similar to quarter size hail even with dual-pol.

I think FAR improvement will be most noticeable with lots of pea size hail and rain versus quarter size hail. Melting hail or hail mixed with rain gives a different signal with dual-pol, as wet hail is the most powerful reflector.

It's possible. There is still no explicit radar signature to hail size indicator with dual-pol, but it will lead to greater confidence of large hail (> 2"). There were reports of lots of dime size hail, so it is possible this would have looked similar to quarter size hail even with dual-pol.

I think FAR improvement will be most noticeable with lots of pea size hail and rain versus quarter size hail. Melting hail or hail mixed with rain gives a different signal with dual-pol, as wet hail is the most powerful reflector.

Thanks for the response. As far as this storm goes, I believe they made the correct decision

to warn for it. Dime size hail covering the ground is still very hazardous, especially for

individuals driving on a busy roadway.

...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1030 PM EST

FOR SOUTHEASTERN HIGHLAND...EXTREME NORTHWESTERN SCIOTO...SOUTHERN

ROSS...WESTERN PIKE AND NORTHEASTERN ADAMS COUNTIES...

AT 1007 PM EST...RADAR CONTINUED TO INDICATE A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM

CAPABLE OF PRODUCING QUARTER SIZE HAIL. THIS STORM WAS LOCATED NEAR

SINKING SPRING...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 60 MPH.

LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

KINCAID SPRINGS...PIKE LAKE...BAINBRIDGE...PIKETON AND WAVERLY.

IN ADDITION...POPLAR GROVE...ELM GROVE...IDAHO...BUCHANAN...

SUMMITHILL...KNOCKEMSTIFF AND LAKE WHITE ARE NEAR THE PATH OF THIS

STORM.

I couldn't resist there... Knockemstiff? LOL :lol:

Archived