• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 18/19 Severe Thread

andyhb

This isn't a chase setup. This is a rain-wrapped EF1-EF3 that no one ever sees coming setup.

I agree that we could see a couple of brief, but intense tornadoes. I don't see this being particularly long lived, at least in their 'significant' stage. I do agree however we must keep an eye on this setup. Personally, if I have even a glimmer of hope for tomorrow, I'll be chasing.

All I know is I hit this plenty hard this morning mainly because I know people are traveling to the Coast for the 3 day weekend (President's Day) AND Mardi Gras. I'm in Columbus and I still believe areas to the south of here (US 80 like NC mentioned) are in a position to see severe weather. Tornadoes are still in play with this set up especially with so much spin in the atmosphere. It won't take much of an updraft to see something spin up. That low being so close is a concern but its placement is still being figured out and likely won't be until tomorrow afternoon; I'm talking more about East Central Alabama and West Central Georgia in that part. Areas along the Gulf Coast are almost given to see the stronger storms but areas as far north as Montgomery/Auburn/Opelika/Columbus/Butler/ and maybe Macon shouldn't let their guard down.

I know some of you are looking at the chase prospects of this system, which aren't great as Tony alluded to, but even a brief touchdown in the wrong area can make this a big deal. As long as we continue to see high helicity values and a deepening low in the southeast, I'm going to continue to tell my viewers to be on guard tomorrow.

Do I believe we'll see a Moderate Risk or hatched area tomorrow morning? Not really. Not with the morning update. In fact, we may see that Slight Risk pushed a little more south...

The strong winds and heavy rain are going to be the bigger story, as long as the isolated tornadoes stay away from populated areas. I mean the forecast soundings show a TON of moisture, at least for mid-February, with precip. water >1.5" in some locations. Localized flooding and flash flooding are going to be issues to watch over the next 48 hours.

All I know is I hit this plenty hard this morning mainly because I know people are traveling to the Coast for the 3 day weekend (President's Day) AND Mardi Gras. I'm in Columbus and I still believe areas to the south of here (US 80 like NC mentioned) are in a position to see severe weather. Tornadoes are still in play with this set up especially with so much spin in the atmosphere. It won't take much of an updraft to see something spin up. That low being so close is a concern but its placement is still being figured out and likely won't be until tomorrow afternoon; I'm talking more about East Central Alabama and West Central Georgia in that part. Areas along the Gulf Coast are almost given to see the stronger storms but areas as far north as Montgomery/Auburn/Opelika/Columbus/Butler/ and maybe Macon shouldn't let their guard down.

I know some of you are looking at the chase prospects of this system, which aren't great as Tony alluded to, but even a brief touchdown in the wrong area can make this a big deal. As long as we continue to see high helicity values and a deepening low in the southeast, I'm going to continue to tell my viewers to be on guard tomorrow.

Do I believe we'll see a Moderate Risk or hatched area tomorrow morning? Not really. Not with the morning update. In fact, we may see that Slight Risk pushed a little more south...

The strong winds and heavy rain are going to be the bigger story, as long as the isolated tornadoes stay away from populated areas. I mean the forecast soundings show a TON of moisture, at least for mid-February, with precip. water >1.5" in some locations. Localized flooding and flash flooding are going to be issues to watch over the next 48 hours.

I agree with this. The 00z trends are for the warm front not getting far enough inland for a significant severe threat. We shall see.

Tornado Warning TOR.gif

Statement as of 8:51 AM CST on February 18, 2012

The National Weather Service in Lake Charles has issued a

* Tornado Warning for...

southern Acadia Parish in southwest Louisiana...

this includes... Mermentau... Crowley...

northeastern Cameron Parish in southwest Louisiana...

this includes Klondike...

southeastern Jefferson Davis Parish in southwest Louisiana...

this includes... Lake Arthur... Jennings...

northwestern Vermilion Parish in southwest Louisiana...

this includes... Kaplan... Gueydan...

* until 915 am CST

* at 846 am CST... National Weather Service meteorologists detected a

severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado near Lake

Arthur... moving east at 50 mph.

* The tornado will be near...

Riceville... Gueydan and Morse by 900 am CST...

Wright and Egan by 905 am CST...

Lyons Point... Kaplan and Crowley by 910 am CST...

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

National Weather Service radar indicates a tornado may form at any

time. Take cover now! Abandon Mobile homes and vehicles. Move to an

interior room or hallway on the lowest floor away from windows.

A Severe Thunderstorm Watch remains in effect until 900 am CST

Saturday morning for southwest Louisiana and southeast Texas.

Please report severe weather to the National Weather Service at

337-477-5285 extension 1.

Lat... Lon 2994 9273 3018 9277 3035 9234 2999 9222

time... Mot... loc 1451z 258deg 44kt 3004 9263

New tornado watch issued until 4am. It includes my area. So far there have been 38 storm reports. 2 of them tornadoes, 3 hail, and the rest wind.

...A SIGNIFICANT WEATHER ADVISORY HAS BEEN ISSUED FOR NORTHERN WARE...WESTERN PIERCE...SOUTHEASTERN BACON AND WESTERN BRANTLEY COUNTIES FOR VALID UNTIL 1145 PM EST... AT 1038 PM EST NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WITH A PROVEN RECORD OF PRODUCING SEVERE WEATHER CENTERED 29 MILES WEST OF MILLWOOD...OR 6 MILES EAST OF NASHVILLE...MOVING EAST AT 55 MPH. IF THIS STORM CONTINUES TO MAINTAIN ITS CURRENT INTENSITY A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM OR TORNADO WARNING MAY...REPEAT MAY...BECOME NECESSARY FOR PORTIONS OF BACON...BRANTLEY...PIERCE AND WARE COUNTIES. THIS STORM IS MOVING VERY QUICKLY AND PERSONS IN THESE COUNTIES SHOULD BEGIN TO MONITOR WEATHER CONDITIONS AND TV WEATHER RADAR NOW AND BE READY TO ACT SHOULD WARNINGS BECOME NECESSARY. A TORNADO WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 400 AM EST SUNDAY MORNING FOR NORTHEASTERN FLORIDA AND SOUTHEAST GEORGIA.

radaru.png

EDIT

JAX issues Tornado Warning for Bacon, Brantley, Pierce, Ware [GA] till 11:45 PM EST ...* AT 1100 PM EST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE METEOROLOGISTS WERE TRACKING A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO 20 MILES WEST OF DIXIE UNION...OR 6 MILES SOUTHEAST OF PEARSON... MOVING EAST AT 55 MPH.

EDIT2

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1115 PM EST FORSOUTHEASTERN COFFEE...NORTHWESTERN CLINCH AND ATKINSON COUNTIES...AT 1102 PM EST...A TORNADO WAS REPORTED. THIS TORNADO WAS LOCATED 6MILES SOUTH OF PEARSON...MOVING EAST AT 50 MPH.

Archived