• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
78 years ago today

weathafella

KNYC averaged just over 19F for the month, easily their coldest month ever, and had lots of snow. However, their coldest daily mean temp was on 12/30/1917, also their 2nd coldest morning at -13, and coldest max at 2. The seven days 12/29-1/4 averaged 2-3F, by far their coldest week. 2/9/1934 had a high of either 7 or 8, still mighty cold.

Wow, great stuff Steve!!! Thanks for sharing.

Feb 34 was a hellacious month. The storms were epic particularly in your area down to my old stomping grounds. I'm pretty sure the snow depth in Feb 34 was greater than Jan 11 in those areas.

I have the original papers somewhere. It was great fun to read about a lot of areas near me. Yea I agree the depth was probably greater. -24 and four feet on the ground, brutal

I have a book on the history of my town. There is a mention of this cold snap in it, with one reading of -54F I don't believe that, but I bet -30F was true

Also, it was in the depths of the depression with many skimping on oil since they couldn't afford it. My generation heard the stories of the depression from our parents and often cold and snow played a role.

Also, it was in the depths of the depression with many skimping on oil since they couldn't afford it.  My generation heard the stories of the depression from our parents and often cold and snow played a role.

Yeah, good point. And poorly built/insulated homes played a role. Although out my way more folks heated with coal back then.I would love to see cold like that. My record for my house (only since 1998) is -18.9F in 2004

Archived