Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/26/2011 Snow Bomb - One Year Later

Thunder Road

Truly my favorite storm of the 09-10 and 10-11 seasons combined. Reasons why:

-Major over-performer. 15.1" at PHL (16.9" imby) with a forecast of 4-8" the night before, and 10-15" from Glenn halfway through the storm.

-Surprise front-end thump of 3-6".

-Exhibited all 4 precipitation types, as well as thundersleet and thundersnow for many.

-Intense snowfall rates. Many areas close to I-95 saw 12-13" in just over 6 hours.

And on top of all that, it was advertised as being mainly a rain storm by the ECMWF and GGEM and a few runs of the GFS as little as 48 hours out.

post-1820-0-11181500-1327552337.png

mcd0048.gif

mcd0050.gif

2011_0126_27_kdix.gif

northeastloop.gif

sfcanl_us_bw_2011012621.gif

sfcanl_us_bw_2011012700.gif

sfcanl_us_bw_2011012703.gif

11012701QHTA11.png

jan262011.jpg

Post your photos, obs, and memories.

i remember this storm fondly. I remember being on here posting with ray saying this first batch is going to dump some decent snow because down in the dc/balt area it was snowing where it was not suppose to be. None of the models had the first batch making it up here. The after the 3-5 inches of snow from the first bacth ray went all in...

i remember this storm fondly. I remember being on here posting with ray saying this first batch is going to dump some decent snow because down in the dc/balt area it was snowing where it was not suppose to be. None of the models had the first batch making it up here. The after the 3-5 inches of snow from the first bacth ray went all in...

Yeah that... sucked.

My super weenie thundersnow video!!

Just after this video, I remember going to a fire call coming down west Chester pike Towards 69th street. On the westbound lane, there was a parade of cars about 2 miles long (west bound was slightly uphill!) all stranded. They were let out of a Robert Plant concert @ The Tower Theater that evening. It was absolutely RIPPING at that time.

I remember going to bed the night before not expecting much than some flurries to start later the next day. Woke up 6 hrs later with 5-6" on the ground at 7am. That was just as awesome getting that sneak attack snow(Over running)

I remember going to bed the night before not expecting much than some flurries to start later the next day. Woke up 6 hrs later with 5-6" on the ground at 7am. That was just as awesome getting that sneak attack snow(Over running)

Yeah, the overperforming overrunning snow was great, especially when the radar upstream showed all the precipiation moving north for later in the day/night. Then, it was all a matter of sleet vs. snow and when it came down hard that evening it went back over from sleet to snow. I'll never forget the 5 minute period where there were atleast 3 or 4 lightning strikes.

Lancaster County got ~12" of snow, when the night before we were only forecast to get 5" max. Roads were utterly a mess, littered with accidents countywide. Nevertheless Millersville Univ. opened without so much as a 2-hour delay and neglected to plow parking lots, sidewalks or dorm entrances. To quote the president of the school, "it was not that big of a storm." :axe:

Yeah, the overperforming overrunning snow was great, especially when the radar upstream showed all the precipiation moving north for later in the day/night. Then, it was all a matter of sleet vs. snow and when it came down hard that evening it went back over from sleet to snow. I'll never forget the 5 minute period where there were atleast 3 or 4 lightning strikes.

Yea. Probably one of the most dynamic storms as far as thunderstorms go. I witnessed thunder sleet and then thundersnow shortly after. Maybe a once in a lifetime experience as far as that aspect goes.

My video made it's way to nbc10 after Glenn saw it on here. That was pretty cool. My phone blew up after he aired it. Got my 15mins of fame. !!

Yea. Probably one of the most dynamic storms as far as thunderstorms go. I witnessed thunder sleet and then thundersnow shortly after. Maybe a once in a lifetime experience as far as that aspect goes.

My video made it's way to nbc10 after Glenn saw it on here. That was pretty cool. My phone blew up after he aired it. Got my 15mins of fame. !!

Yup, I remember that video like it was yesterday. Like you said it was one of the more "dynamic" storms.....sure it didn't drop 25 inches of snow, but the intensity of the precipitation (for atleast a few hours) was something that will be hard to replicate.

Unfortunately I missed this one. We got like 3" in Morgantown, and since I've been out here the biggest storm I've seen thus far has been 4". Pretty mild snow pattern in comparison. It seems large dynamic events are a lot more rare out here (which makes sense), but I would imagine the average yearly snow is greater than PHL. I know PIT averages 40", but those forty come over a great number of small events each averaging 1-3". I'd rather get the big thump all at once.

My favorite, outside of January '96, was the Feb 10 storm of '09-10--that was the first storm that season to actually perform on the level of PHL IMBY. The cutoff was so sharp in the storms before that we'd end up with more than a foot less than what PHL measured despite being less than twenty miles away. I can only imagine how much snow we would've had if the lull had not occurred in that storm.

It truly was amazing. My wife ended up having to work until almost 8 PM that night, and I was at her workplace to take her home (we normally carpool, but especially when snow or ice are in the forecast). Driving from Harleysville to Spring Mount - typically a less than 15 minute drive - took about 45 minutes and it was extremely difficult to determine where the edges of the road were on some of the streets. For me, it was one of the 3 or 4 worst driving conditions I have ever had to navigate - and right up there with the afternoon of Feb 5, 2001. Thank God for my Subaru Forrester.

Unfortunately I missed this one. We got like 3" in Morgantown, and since I've been out here the biggest storm I've seen thus far has been 4". Pretty mild snow pattern in comparison. It seems large dynamic events are a lot more rare out here (which makes sense), but I would imagine the average yearly snow is greater than PHL. I know PIT averages 40", but those forty come over a great number of small events each averaging 1-3". I'd rather get the big thump all at once.

That's not unlike what I have to endure here ;)

This by far was my favorite storm. Waking up that morning to 5 inches of unexpected snow. Then at the start of the second batch walking to my friends house and back going from heavy rain to heavy sleet to heavy snow in about 45 mins. 3 1/2+ inch/hr snowfall rates at one point. First storm i experienced thunder snow (4 times) in a 2 hourish span. Spent 3 hours outside just watching taking it all in. Idk if i will ever see a storm like that again. Definitely my favorite storm to date in my life (too young to really remember 96).

Archived