• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Never never never give up

hooralph

I've been silent this winter. I've been coasting - totally not invested in snow threats (or lack thereof) or phantom pattern changes (always deferred apparently). I went to San Diego for a week to start the New Year and thought "why they hell don't we live here?" I've been happier and more focused than if I were chasing each GFS 240 fantasy.

Once a terrible winter rears its ugly head, perhaps it's best to ratchet your expectations to zero and ride the wave. To paraphrase Bobby Knight, "If a [snowless winter] is inevitable, just relax and enjoy it." The pattern change never comes, no matter how much JB keeps pushing it back two weeks and distracting you by talking about global temps.

It has saved me some pain to pretend I live in North Carolina this year.

But then there was last night. I saw the SPS for the snow band that was going to come through, but I was still caught off guard when I looked outside at 11 and saw we were down near 1/4 mile visibility. I wanted to throw on clothes and go out for a walk.

When my son woke up this morning, I said, "guess what?! It snowed last night!" I brought him to the window and let him look outside. He got excited then said, "can we go make snow angels?" I explained it wasn't enough to make snowmen or snow angels. And that it was going to melt quickly. He started sobbing.

So I'm pissed now.

I want snow. I want it for him. I want to walk to a bar at night while it's snowing and watch it fall. I want to out the next day and make snowmen and snow angels with him. And maybe sled. I won't give up. We aren't going to magically snap to some awesome pattern. But it will still snow. And we will celebrate it. Never give up.

I've been silent this winter. I've been coasting - totally not invested in snow threats (or lack thereof) or phantom pattern changes (always deferred apparently). I went to San Diego for a week to start the New Year and thought "why they hell don't we live here?" I've been happier and more focused than if I were chasing each GFS 240 fantasy.

Once a terrible winter rears its ugly head, perhaps it's best to ratchet your expectations to zero and ride the wave. To paraphrase Bobby Knight, "If a [snowless winter] is inevitable, just relax and enjoy it." The pattern change never comes, no matter how much JB keeps pushing it back two weeks and distracting you by talking about global temps.

But then there was last night. I saw the SPS for the snow band that was going to come through, but I was still caught off guard when I looked outside at 11 and saw we were down near 1/4 mile visibility. I wanted to throw on clothes and go out for a walk.

When my son woke up this morning, I said, "guess what?! It snowed last night!" I brought him to the window and let him look outside. He got excited then said, "can we go make snow angels?" I explained it wasn't enough to make snowmen or snow angels. And that it was going to melt quickly. He started sobbing.

So I'm pissed now.

I want snow. I want it for him. I want to walk to a bar at night while it's snowing and watch it fall. I want to out the next day and make snowmen and snow angels with him. And maybe sled. I won't give up. We aren't going to magically snap to some awesome pattern. But it will still snow. And we will celebrate it. Never give up.

Amen.

So I'm pissed now.

We'll make it happen....to your son, still a young boy...and to that young boy in all of us!

So I'm pissed now.

Great post!! I live in the mountains of North Carolina and i have a 3 year old son and we have not seen much snow at all. only about 9 inches this year but, this gets me fired up!

Archived