• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 10th/11th Severe Thread

andyhb

I really wouldn't call them out over the stuff in Texas a few days ago either. The environment wasn't all that favorable for organized severe, and it was only a few EF0-EF1 tornadoes. This just isn't the way to start the year.... :(

Yeah 7 tornados so far and its only the 11th and with this pattern its likely to see a few more, not sure what the average monthly total would be for Jan in the US but I cant imagine it is much more than 20-30.

This is a picture of the damaging tornado today in North Carolina, courtesy of the FOX affiliate in Charlotte, North Carolina. Reports of significant damage, entrapments, and "several" injuries earlier. This is soooo not the way to start 2012...

Bigger than I thought...

It's lucky that this more powerful system over the next couple of days didn't develop further west (instability offshore and the LLJ unfavorably positioned/oriented for svr) or we'd have a major problem...

Just drove the damage zone. Looks like 2 trailer are gone. Tons of damage on the left side of the piney mountain church road! Not a pro met but it looks like it was tornado. Tin form local barns are hung in most trees, trees are snapped andtwisted around but not blown over. Channels fox 21, wlos 13 and NEWS 14Carolina are on site. Address of one of the lost sites is 301 piney mountain church road , Ellenboro NC 28040

I have heard one of those had 3 children in it....

http://charlotte.new...-burke-counties

http://www.wlos.com/

You can see my brother in law at the 3:42 mark on the vid posted at WLOS. He is the fire chief of the Rutherfordton Fire department!

Just drove the damage zone. Looks like 2 trailer are gone. Tons of damage on the left side of the piney mountain church road! Not a pro met but it looks like it was tornado. Tin form local barns are hung in most trees, trees are snapped andtwisted around but not blown over. Channels fox 21, wlos 13 and NEWS 14Carolina are on site. Address of one of the lost sites is 301 piney mountain church road , Ellenboro NC 28040

I have heard one of those had 3 children in it....

http://charlotte.new...-burke-counties

Strong, Glad you are safe!...thanks for the obs. Thoughts & Prayers for the less fortunate

... Tornado confirmed near Ellenboro in Rutherford County North

Carolina...

Location... near Ellenboro in Rutherford County North Carolina

date... January 11 2012

maximum ef-scale rating... EF2

estimated maximum wind speed... 115 mph

* the information in this statement is preliminary and subject to

change pending final review of the event(s) and publication in

NWS storm data.

... Summary...

the National Weather Service in Greenville-Spartanburg SC has

confirmed the storm damage that occurred near Ellenboro North

Carolina on Wednesday... January 11 was the result of an EF2

tornado... with maximum wind speeds estimated at around 115 mph.

Further details will be made available late this afternoon or

early this evening.

A National Weather Service survey team has confirmed

NOUS42 KGSP 122207

PNSGSP

GAZ010-017-018-026-028-029-NCZ033-035>037-048>053-056>059-062>065-

068>072-082-501>510-SCZ001>014-019-130200-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG SC

510 PM EST THU JAN 12 2012

...TORNADO CONFIRMED IN EASTERN BURKE COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA...

A NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SURVEY TEAM HAS CONFIRMED THAT THE STORM

DAMAGE WHICH OCCURRED IN EASTERN BURKE COUNTY WAS CAUSED BY AN EF-2

TORNADO...WITH 130 MPH WINDS. THE MOST SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE WAS

OBSERVED IN THE HILDEBRAN COMMUNITY NEAR INTERSTATE 40. A MORE

EXTENSIVE WRITE-UP ON THE LENGTH OF THE DAMAGE PATH AND OTHER

DETAILS OF THE SURVEY WILL BE ISSUED LATER THIS EVENING OR FRIDAY

MORNING.

THIS INFORMATION CAN ALSO BE FOUND ON OUR WEBSITE AT WEATHER.GOV/GSP.

FOR REFERENCE...THE ENHANCED FUJITA SCALE CLASSIFIES TORNADOES

INTO THE FOLLOWING CATEGORIES:

The tornadoes in Burke and Rutherford look like may be ef2 or so. We'll know tomorrow. One thing I do know that played a part here is how the center of circulation tracked directly over the southern Apps, and helped spin up a meso low or eddy in the lee of the Southern Apps. We see this a lot with a 5H track like this, just usually they don't produce tornadoes in January.

Good call.

Today's event was centered more on the Lakes/OV, there is a thread dedicated for that on that board. As for upcoming threats, I think it would be preferred to create the threads individually as they become necessary, instead of having one massive thread that takes people too long to find the information they want.

Archived