Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
EPAC Tropical Action 2012

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We just had recon in, so it's probably not that strong.

Might be able to hit 95-100 knots if it can stay offshore for another 6-12 hours.

I know, I didn't imply that it was close to becoming a cat 4. My point is that the current structure is already of a major hurricane.

BTW, Carlotta is moving at about 335 the last 3 hours....at the current heading and speed she will be over water less than 6 hours.

Aren't you jealous you're not there? Of course travel there could have been crazy with some land/mudslides...

Sure I would love to be there. Absolutely. But there was no way to anticipate this one. Even 18 hr ago, it wasn't looking like a good chase subject, with the models and the official forecast showing it just skimming the coast and weakening as it stalled offshore. By the time the setup looked hawt, it was too late. If I had a crystal ball, yeah, I'd be in Puerto Angel.

Sure I would love to be there. Absolutely. But there was no way to anticipate this one. Even 18 hr ago, it wasn't looking like a good chase subject, with the models and the official forecast showing it just skimming the coast and weakening as it stalled offshore. By the time the setup looked hawt, it was too late. If I had a crystal ball, yeah, I'd be in Puerto Angel.

Yep. Even the front eyewall will be during daylight...bummer

Something tells me a lot of tiki bars are going to be lost in Puerto Angel:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PlayaPanteonBeach.JPG

On a more serious note, hopefully those right on the beach got word of the storm coming in time. Faster forward speed than forecast + sharper angle of approach towards coast + higher intensity than forecast is basically the worst combination possible for catching people off guard.

Something tells me a lot of tiki bars are going to be lost in Puerto Angel:

http://en.wikipedia....anteonBeach.JPG

On a more serious note, hopefully those right on the beach got word of the storm coming in time. Faster forward speed than forecast + sharper angle of approach towards coast + higher intensity than forecast is basically the worst combination possible for catching people off guard.

This reminds me a LOT of Charley.

Archived