Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 30, 2000 snowstorm...

Chris L

Appox. 16-18" inches of snow fell...

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/akq/tsnow.html Case Study of it; Thunder snow analysis.

http://www.njfreeways.com/weather/2001/30-Dec-00.html Max total was 30 inches in Eastern Sussex County, (maybe Ray can post the PNS)...

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/phi/122000storm/snowtotalbycounty.txt PNS from PHL. Perhaps someone could, again, maybe Ray, post the Upton PNS. Parts of Bergen County had 20-25".

The snow rates, were a lot like the Boxing Day Blizzard, but Boxing Day was slower, by the H500 and H700 analysis, and the H500 trough was much deeper it; classic Miller A. DEC 30, would be classified as a Southern Miller B and far less intense vort maxes (vorticity) than DEC 27 2010.

However, this storm, remains in my memory of waking up toward a whiteout that morning of DEC 30. Snow rates were 3" per hour for some time.

The snow axis was the opposite of Boxing Day with NW-SE got the heaviest snows; it all fell in 8 to 12 (the heaviest part fell in 10 hours) hours, which makes it even more impressive; for some locations getting 20-24" of snow.

I'll cry with laughter if someone makes a thread tomorrow for the New Years Eve event from a few years ago.

that guy was banned... :violin: I hate the name boxing day storm...If it's going to be called that it should be boxing day IV...I got over 13" from the 12/30/2000 storm...The models were showing a big storm in the long range for a week or so before it finally happened...December 2000 and 2010 are similar...A cold dry period with storms missing to the south...Then we get hit head on...

most of the people who post here were 5 or 6, so they probably remember none of it

i got 28 inches in orange county, it ripped from beginning to end, but I never heard the thunder

Parts of Jersey had the same, if earthlight was alive, he would have reported 40 inches, easily.

that guy was banned... :violin: I hate the name boxing day storm...If it's going to be called that it should be boxing day IV...I got over 13" from the 12/30/2000 storm...The models were showing a big storm in the long range for a week or so before it finally happened...December 2000 and 2010 are similar...A cold dry period with storms missing to the south...Then we get hit head on...

We got so lucky with that 12/30/00 event most people don't realize it, that month was extremely close to going snowless despite it was the coldest December in 20 years other than 1989 and 1995.

the models did a poor job with that storm... 7 days out, i believe the old MRF (now gfs) showed a phase with a southern system exiting offshore, resulting in a massive blizzard. then after the phase idea died, the models had trouble with the redeveloping system. the ETA (now nam) actually changed nyc over to rain and slammed DC. it was one of its infamous "too far west and warm" solutions... the AVN (now gfs) nailed the storm.

Horrendously modeled storm. S and W of Philly was set to get 8-12 the night before-verification was zero. We lucked out as it developed further N and E (as most of these do--see 3/6/01 for that!) otherwise, we would have mixed or changed over to rain for a time.

00/01 was infamous for storms coming north at the last minute

the models did a poor job with that storm... 7 days out, i believe the old MRF (now gfs) showed a phase with a southern system exiting offshore, resulting in a massive blizzard. then after the phase idea died, the models had trouble with the redeveloping system. the ETA (now nam) actually changed nyc over to rain and slammed DC. it was one of its infamous "too far west and warm" solutions... the AVN (now gfs) nailed the storm.

It was the typical sparse data issue. The models incorrectly viewed the disturbance exiting Canada as a phaser, instead it moved too easterly and did not phase with the southern system but eventually itself helped cause the storm.

i also remember that storm starting out as a wall of heavy snow. thunder woke me up around 5 am

Indeed. My father woke me up around 4 or 5 and he's like take a look outside. He said it went from nothing to heavy snow in minutes. I had checked the radar on TWC around 12 or so (I think) and I was worried sick because the radar showed almost nothing. The precip shield exploded very quickly with this storm.

Horrendously modeled storm. S and W of Philly was set to get 8-12 the night before-verification was zero. We lucked out as it developed further N and E (as most of these do--see 3/6/01 for that!) otherwise, we would have mixed or changed over to rain for a time.

It was also the first foot of snow recorded in NYC since 96.

You're probably right. The January 2000 system had a dryslot from hell.

i went to bed that night giddy because of how obvious it was that it would be a big storm... then i woke up with heavy snow falling and paul kocin having us in the 12+ area. i then spent the next 4 hours walking around the county park in bayonne... about 3 hours into it the snow stopped and i was wondering why there was freezing drizzle

Archived